IMDb > "Waking the Dead" The Fall: Part 1 (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Waking the Dead" The Fall: Part 1 (2007)

« Prev | 55 of 92 Episodes | Next »

Capaldiwatching: OH FOR GOD'S SAKE

Author: malmborgimplano-92-599820
20 August 2015

This program embodies everything I admire about Peter Capaldi and everything I can't stand about crime fiction.

Capaldi is a theatrical daredevil who commits with absolute sincerity to whatever role he's taken. No matter how stupid it is, he'll find a way into it and make it seem real. Even with the complete incoherent pile of CRAP he's given to play here, he creates something that actually resembles a human being out of it, and I am awed and humbled by that.

As for this two-part graveyard of wretched mystery/thriller clichés, I just sat there watching in increasing disbelief. I think it might--MIGHT be the worst mystery program I've ever seen, but then I avoid them so I haven't seen that many. I'm sure there are worse ones out there, maybe in this very series. But I'll never know because Capaldi's not in them so I won't be watching.

Was this laziness on the part of the writer???

Author: tomdillon100 from United Kingdom
24 January 2007

I'm all for suspending my disbelief to a point but simple facts being conveniently overlooked for the sake of ease of explanation can be annoying! Boyd and Spence went to Dublin to track a suspect, and where treated in Ireland as superior officers and referred to as 'Sir'. At one point Boyd said to the chap he was after that he was a Police Officer - well not in the Republic of Ireland he isn't! Fair enough if this was Northern Ireland Ireland, but Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland and is totally independent from Britain! Boyd and Spence would have had absolutely no jurisdiction there the same way they wouldn't have in France or Spain! Was this laziness on the part of the writer as it was easier to gloss over it, or, worse still, ignorance on the part of the writer? Otherwise - excellent as usual!