IMDb > "Life" (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Life"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Life" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

couldn't have said it better

Author: m t from United States
26 September 2007

As we were watching, (and getting totally hooked!) my husband and I said that this was the "House" of the line of cop shows. His personality is sarcastic and witty, in a very intelligent and sexy kinda way! He is captivating, and his zen-like qualities are refreshing in a world of fast-paced criminal action. This (cop show) is not like any other- it has a uniqueness to it that is appealing and addicting. It is more than crime scenes and investigations. This is good. How is the Lt connected? And his partner-she has intriguing secrets to her personality too. I want to know about her story as well. The whole show- I was thinking, "ooh, what does that mean? Ooh, how is that connected?" It was humorous and intense. I can't wait till next week to get deeper into the story, I could have kept watching and watching. I like the "interviews" with the people that are involved with his personal case, it lets you, as the viewer, try to draw conclusions about his personal case. This show has a scandalous mystery and I can't wait to get more clues to the truth. Hopefully they don't pull the plug on this one, definitely a keeper in our wed night agenda. It seems like they always do that to the good ones. Keep your fingers crossed!

12 years in prison for a crime you didn't commit...what does that do to a man?

Author: MovieChickie from Calgary, Canada
15 September 2007

Charlie Crews is a former cop turned inmate who has just gotten out of jail after 12 years for a crime he didn't commit. He becomes a detective again upon his release as part of a settlement with the city. I just watched the pilot, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not some dumb action piece with big car chases and naked women. It also has a great relationship between the two lead characters, a man and a woman. They're detective partners, but there isn't any forced chemistry tacked on. You know, the whole they hate each other, but you can't deny the attraction...uggh. This avoids that perfectly. It also has some great actors, Damian Lewis is always great, since "Band of Brothers" he's displayed a remarkable talent for character roles. And this is most certainly a character drama. But unlike Shark or Monk or something where the character is the whole plot, there's also a great deal of other fantastic elements. The man was in jail from 1995-2007, so there's cute scenes about a sort of culture shock, mostly pertaining to technological advances. But there's also a darker side, as Crews was brutalized in prison (as a former cop) and has a vendetta against those who conspired to put him in jail. This is the overarching arc of the series, but smaller cases worked with his partner form the bulk of the story lines. I was really impressed and look forward to further episodes. I just hope that NBC manages to get this show enough ratings to keep it on the air. Kudos on a job well done. J.

New show worth watching

Author: imdb-17961 from United States
11 October 2007

NBC did a horrible job advertising this new show and I almost didn't watch the first episode because it didn't look like it was worth watching, I glad I did. The writers thew in a great combination of humor and suspense. How often do you see a chase seen end with a cop and suspect duking it out in a knife fight? Unlike other police shows, this show you really don't know if the victim will actually turn out to be the criminal - in the last episode I watched I found myself going back and forth believing victim, no, criminal, no, victim, no, criminal......

I should point out that this show may not seem to be so great at first but once you've gotten to know the characters you'll find yourself waiting anxiously for the next episode. This is a show you grow into.

Meet Dr. Gregory House of Cop World!

Author: themoviejedi from United States
15 September 2007

I promised myself not to get hooked on any new TV show this season as there were a handful of shows i loved last season that got cancelled...

well, so much for that.... i hated both CHUCK and BIONIC WOMAN pilots with utter disgust and yet these two are NBC's flagship banners this season... chances are, they both will survive over the shows that had more quality: LIFE and JOURNEYMAN finally. a cop drama that had substance in it. charlie crews stroke me as the DR HOUSE of the cop drama world.

his being not attuned to the technological advancements since being locked in, provides the comic relief of the show...

charlie crews' partner has an interesting storyline as well.

the pilot episode seems to be suited to how things are going on today.

it's an irony that a guy who hasn't been in touch with the world solved a mystery that includes the word "I.M" ( a little spoiler there)...

well, just a heads up for everybody. you should definitely check this show out. my wednesdays @ 9pm are locked in for this show.

PS: NBC, please don't pull a FOX on this one.

Old School Meets New School

Author: SaintRobbie from Canada
10 November 2007

Life is one of the best shows on television because it revives the old Detective shows where there was no "CSI" made-up procedures to catch people. Instead, it is straight detective work that keeps you on edge.

This show is great because it doesn't have the flashy-ness or unbelievable murders/events as Police shows on TV now. It could be about murders for the simplest and believable reasons. Jealous spouses, simple rapes and other, everyday events. The shows characters are down-to-earth and cast perfectly with the recovering-addict Detective and Damian Lewis' enthralling "Zen-Like" Detectiveness. The way the writers have him interviewing and connecting with people is unlike any other police show or movie I have ever seen.

To make things better, is the side story of how Damian Lewis is spending his money from his settlement. What at first seems like a series like "Bad Boys" is quickly proved incorrect with the lines "I am not attached to this car..." and you can see that he is.

But the best, very best part of this show is how Dt Crews is investigating his own case to find out who framed him during a triple homicide. Again, using basic, detective work.

I was starting to find CSI-style shows becoming boring, and lacking in depth and was excited to finally find a show that uses its characters to bring it to life, not scantly-clothed girls with almost no acting skill.

So if you want a believable show, with great characters and a great story line every week, watch Life and you'll become attached to the show!

another home-run by Damian Lewis!

Author: mcmaster1973 from United States
26 September 2007

Being the 'Band of Brothers' groupie that I am, I thought I would give my man Damian Lewis a chance to interest me yet again. I was pleasantly surprised by the "Life" pilot! I have always considered Damian a brilliant actor, and this role seems to fit him well. He plays those parts that make you ask"what exactly is going on in this man's head" very well. The "Life" plot is quirky and original (yes, imagine that - originality!), and promises to keep me eagerly anticipating subsequent episodes. I noticed that Robin Weigert (Calamity Jane from HBO's Deadwood) plays a recurring role - another excellent actress. Keep your eye on this one! I certainly will!

Great show, great acting

Author: Karen Cooper (karen-cooper-1) from United States
4 November 2007

Excellent plots, if you have missed it, catch up by watching the full episodes on line on NBC. This program deserves a strong following of viewers. Great character development and moments of humor and insights on humanity interspersed with drama, suspense and darkness. The program mixes single stories each week with on going meta stories about each of the characters pasts-especially the story of the main character Charlie Crews who was framed for a mass murder and spent twelve years in prison before he was exonerated. We learn a little more about the past stories each week as the crime of that episode is investigated and solved. Complex and captivating show.

I Love It!

Author: sanja-11 from Croatia
22 October 2007

Main character is great, I love the guy! His zen-philosophy is understandable to everyone, zen-or-not, even like some usual wisdom; and his not-so-zen seek for revenge is so Western... This is just the thing that crime series needed: fresh new character, interesting and funny. I also like his partner (she's beautiful, reminds me of Jo in Eureka), but I hope she will develop in a more interesting way soon - not just because of her past and drug abuse, but also like a character itself, with characteristic language and everything that a full character needs. Story is very promising, it could lead to many different ways; also the crimes that Charlie and Reese have to work on are interesting. Life is great, I hope it will continue for many seasons.

Best New Show this Fall!!!!

Author: sandymorgan7 from United States
24 October 2007

Funny, heartwarming, wonderfully acted, great mysteries....this is the best new show this fall!!! I agree that Bionic was a total let-down....but NBC has a hit in Life.

I love the fact that their is a bigger mystery that we get a little clue to each week. In addition, the cases they work on each week are fun and interesting. Lewis is awesome as this guy and it's great to see him play such a fun character! Also, his "partner" has her own story that has caught my attention. This is a great show...check it out if you haven't already.

NBC>>>>>THIS IS A KEEPER!!!!

Character Driven Cop Drama, Great Concept

Author: missmissa from Sapulpa, OK, USA
27 September 2007

I've heard a lot of hype the last couple of weeks about Life's Charlie Crews is like Gregory House. Well, while the characters are equally as interesting (and both played by English actors), they are nothing alike.

The set up is this; Charlie Crews was a cop on the beat who went to maximum security prison on a life sentence for twelve years. After twelve years he was proved innocent and, when he gets out he goes back to the force. Things have changed for Charlie though; he's divorced, his mother is dead, his dad is remarrying, and he's loaded. His settlement for the false imprisonment has made him rich, famous and a detective. Everyone thinks he's just in the position because of the settlement, but the truth is, he's actually pretty good, which we find out in the first five minutes.

Crews is even more interesting because he's spent the last twelve years in prison reading "The Path to Zen" and instead of raising his voice when he's angry, like normal people, he spouts off about how the universe is making fun of us. And Crews, unlike House, has a bona fide soft side. (Spoiler) After he fatally wounds a crack head, he tells him, "It's okay, it was just a bad dream. Go back to sleep," as the man dies in his arms, which was a slow and truly touching moment that was actually, you know, sweet for a network television pilot. Damian Lewis plays Crews with such subtlety and sincerity, that the character is completely believable.

Also, unlike "House", Life has a whole cast of complicated and interesting characters. Sarah Shahi's Dani Reese is Crews' partner and a recovered drug addict. She's under pressure from the department both to prove that she's fit for duty and to find a way to get rid of Crews. It's a difficult line to walk for her because, like I said, Crews is good at his job, and Reese respects that.

Reese is also smart. She doesn't believe Crews is Zen enough to have completely let go of his own case, which, as we discover at the very end of the show (Spoiler) he has not. He's devoted a whole room in his ridiculously large house to laying out the case. We see that his old partner and current boss, the person putting pressure on Reese, were involved in setting Crews up, if not the original murder all together. Crews' case is going to be an ongoing plot line, probably throughout the entire series, and it's something I'm looking forward to seeing fleshed out.

My favorite supporting character thus far has got to be Adam Arkin's Ted Early, who was in prison with Crews for insider trading. Now that they're both out and Crews is loaded, Early is his financial adviser and lives above Crews' garage.

The show also makes fun references to how much technology has changed in such a short time span. Crews, having been in prison for twelve years, has no clue that there are such things as camera phones and instant messages. It's interesting to have a character who is very smart, but a little hapless in the modern era.

I'm very interested in both the ongoing story of the series and in the interactions Reese and Crews will have in the future with each other and with the rest of the force. It's a great show, so tune in and watch and keep great TV on the air.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]