Inspector Lewis (TV Series 2006–2015) Poster

(2006–2015)

23 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Classic Mystery Reliably Rendered With Class and Style
DreamOfDreamsForgotten15 February 2012
Call me an Anglophile, I don't care--it's probably true. This is a program for dedicated Anglophiles and those aspiring to be one. (LOL) The continuing adventures of Detective Inspector Lewis and his trusted sidekick Detective Sergeant Hathaway stand out for the strength of production values, acting, writing, and direction that are credits to the Masterpiece: Mystery! series tradition here in the States and television anywhere. Unlike most reviewers, I've never seen the Inspector Morse series which gave this one its genesis, but be assured I will be checking those discs out on Netflix shortly. Just know that this series stands completely on its own and is without peer, at least in my experience. The principals all acquit themselves with increasing wit and flair as the series progresses, creating a palpable matrix of living relationships which provide the sort of ongoing back story that insists you return, like that finish at the end of a wee dram of single malt, for more.

The cinematography (this is shot on film, not video), score (it is far too high quality to call it simply "music"), sharp pace of direction, and of course the acting, by both regulars and guests, is more than first-rate--it is better than we have any right to expect. Oxford is a very photogenic backdrop for the stories which manage rather niftily to send up the upper class snobbery of England at the same time that it celebrates the hallowed tradition of academia and culture with which it is inextricably entwined. The squarely middle-class education and perspective of the older Lewis is also projected against the Cambridge-educated Hathaway, a lapsed theologian who is at once intellectually on par with these Oxford denizens while yet at the same time apart, due to the inter-school rivalry as well as his own lineage, which we learn more of as the series progresses. The subtle windups Lewis and Hathaway deliver each other are to be savored, for they are the real mark of affection and respect each develops over time for the other.

That each episode fills in certain intriguing details of our regulars' back stories at the same time it guides us, with red herrings aplenty, through the solution of some very puzzling cases is also part of the magic of Inspector Lewis. I find myself at moments ignoring the developments of certain cases, not because they are dull, but because I am so consumed by disclosure of personal details and the repercussions amongst series regulars. Their lives matter to us, greatly, and their relationships are not completely static.

Never dull, frequently witty, and almost always a step ahead of us, Inspector Lewis is a series that entertains at all times, often plumbs surprising emotional depths, and occasionally achieves the elusive grace of art.
36 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could become a classic
John Cox23 June 2011
I was sceptical when I first heard of "LEWIS". Morse had been such an incredible series that I felt sure Lewis would simply cash in on it and be a poor follow on. How wrong I was! Whilst I'm not saying that it has met the incredibly high standard of Morse it is a truly great series in its own right.

Obviously there is no John Thaw (what a great actor) but Lewis has now taken on the "old man" role and been joined by a wonderful "young assistant" character acted in superb fashion.

The story lines have maintained the complexity and interest of Morse. In true English style the clues are there but you will still change your mind on who the culprit is many many times during an episode. The teasing out of characters has been done very well so that even now (after 4 series) we don't know everything.

And then, of course, there is the picturesque scenery and wonderful architecture of Oxford. Sometimes I could just get lost looking at the background. Another great series , well worth anyone's time.
38 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
this is a review of the whole series
Karl Ericsson25 June 2012
I expected that Lewis would still be good but not that it would surpass Morse and this has happened and it's because the wonderful team of Lewis and Hathaway.

The series only gets better. As Lewis once points out, the team of him and Hathaway together make out a damn fine detective. None of them is really the boss of the other even if officially Lewis is in charge.

I would go as far as to suggest that there is always an element of moral dilemma in the episodes. Certainly the team show high moral standards towards the surroundings as well as towards each other.

All in all, it's Hathaway that is the real surprise to the series and the casting of Lawrence Fox in the role is so good that it is hard to tell where Hathaway ends and Fox begins or the other way around. In fact, the character of Hathaway is so strong that it partly redefines Lewis who emerges as something considerably more than just Morse old assistant.

Damn good show.
37 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lewis steps out of Morse's shadow.
Rupert1728 February 2010
Lewis hits the spot for me. Great location shots of Oxford, typically unbelievably complicated plots where the destination seems less important than journey, and Kevin Whately's now rather world-weary Inspector Lewis trawling his way through police procedure to arrive at the right solution.

I like Laurence Fox as Lewis' laconic and slightly acerbic assistant Hathaway. This is a working partnership not one of close camaraderie - and that works for me. At least in series one, the writers have refrained from throwing random romance in the way of Lewis - other series go a bit too far with distracting love interests - and this means our heroes can concentrate all their energies on cerebral outcomes rather than physical ones.

All in all, a very competent and enjoyable series. 9/10
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First Class Mystery Series
Zen4166 September 2010
When I want to see an action film or a thriller, no one, in my opinion, beats stuff made in North America. That being said, no one makes better mysteries than the British, and the "Inspector Lewis" series is proof positive of that. Kevin Whately is a stand-out as the eponymous character, a diligent yet sympathetic policeman who wears his middle-class background as proudly as he does his badge. It's nice to see Whately taking the helm in this series as it's lead after playing the wingman in the "Inspector Morse" shows for so long. He doesn't try to assume the John Thaw role but instead keeps this character all his own. James Fox is the perfect fit as his younger, book-smart partner Hathaway, a dude who can quote just about anything from anywhere, thanks in part to his scholarly background in Theology. These two guys have a very believable chemistry as police partners who work with each other's strengths (Lewis has the hunches it seems and Hathaway has his logic) to solve the multiple mysteries that crop up in the college town in Oxfordshire where they toil. The mysteries presented in the show are never too easy to figure out, giving you just enough clues to try to follow along. Often times it's a really cool surprise when the who-dun-it is solved at the end. I also want to add that, in addition to a great cast, great writing and so forth, they don't flog you with loud obvious music throughout that gives too much away (though yes, there is SOME music and it's quite nice actually). I'm a fan of this show and I hope they keep this series with it's fantastic cast going for a long time to come.
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Even better than Inspector Morse
robert-temple-123 April 2014
This is a review of Series One to Seven of LEWIS (also known as INSPECTOR LEWIS). I never imagined that a sequel series could surpass the original (INSPECTOR MORSE), but this is what has happened. The stories, writing and direction remain of the same excellent quality, but it is the performances which really put the series over the top. John Thaw as Inspector Morse often overdid the querulousness and could be a bit irritating sometimes, which was meant to be part of his character. But now that he has the top job, Kevin Whateley as Lewis has really come into his own as a heavyweight actor of true stature. He has made Lewis into such a rounded and convincing character that he is more compelling than Morse ever was. (Perhaps this solidity of character is due to Whateley being a direct descendant of one of the three notorious Thompson Brothers, all of them Parliamentary colonels, of the 1640s and 1650s.) But even Whateley's superb acting cannot match the eerie and uncanny brilliance of Laurence Fox's performances as Detective Sergeant Hathaway. Rarely in a TV series has any actor created such massive complexity of character with such understatement and minimalism. Fox's work is sheer genius. One is tempted to compare Fox with John Hamm in MAD MEN (see my review), where we hang on Hamm's every silence, expecting him to speak, but when he does not, we accept the profundity of his silence as part of his secretive character and sympathise with him. This is very much the case with Fox, whose brooding internal life makes us concerned for him. The strong performances of Clare Holman as the pathologist and Rebecca Front as the Chief Superintendent are equally important in giving the essential fibre to the series to ensure its success. Holman's perpetual cheeriness is rather infectious, and all the more fascinating in that she shows it when inspecting corpses. This series (which will have a Season 8 before long) is a magnificent success in every respect. Dom Perignon all round! However, one does have a certain sympathy with the population of Oxford, which has been diminished by so many murders after all of these years that one wonders that there is anyone left alive in either town or gown. I noticed that there appear to be heavy filming restrictions in place, for in none of the episodes do we see the commercial district or the roads with the most traffic. I only recall seeing Oxford Market used once. We never see the High Street except for the small area at the end by Magdalen Bridge. Oxford comes across all glamorous and antique, and you would never suspect there were other parts of the town which are glum rather than glam. The Sheldonian appears to be everywhere, and every angle of that has been covered many times. Some of the colleges appear to have said no. I have never seen the quaint battlements of New College in an episode, for instance. We never see Magdalen's deer park, we never see the endless walks along the river, which are inaccessible to filming vans. In a sense, a mythical Oxford provides the backdrop for this series. But then, that strangely adds to the effect, for by creating the illusion of an Oxford that goes on forever but is really often the same locations shot from new angles, the illusion of endless murders seems only a natural part of the equation D = ME, where D is drama, M is murder, and E is episodes. It is clear according to this equation that the drama can increase linearly if either the murders increase, the episodes increase, or both increase together. No analysis has yet been made formulating an equation expressing the rates of increase, whether two murders per episode cause an acceleration of the heartbeat, and whether nonlinear phenomena occur, such as particularly shocking murders leading to quantum jumps, i.e. hearts skipping beats. I go to Oxford so rarely these days, but on one visit what did my wife and I see but Kevin Whateley getting in and out of his police car near Merton College as the cameras rolled, on the same side of the street as Anthony a Wood's house. Long may he go on doing so. And let us hope that some future edition of Athenae Oxoniensis includes John Thaw, Kevin Whateley, and Laurence Fox as worthies, which they clearly deserve.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Promising start to series
pawebster20 February 2007
The film was made to a high standard, in just the same way as the Morse films, with lots of attractive shots of Oxford. The story is a bit convoluted and not terribly credible - just as was often the case with Morse.

The two leads still have some way to go. Lewis is older, wiser and sadder, which unfortunately means that he is less fun to watch. He also, obviously, lacks Morse to react to, which was one of the most entertaining things about the earlier series.

Instead he has his sidekick played by Laurence Fox. He is OK and has potential, but he is not yet firing on all cylinders by any means. In fact, he seems a bit sleepy and is too deadpan. However, I fully intend to keep watching, and am optimistic that there will be good things in the future.
49 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great series - with fine-looking Oxford as a supporting actor :)
Bene Cumb10 September 2012
British crime series are always worth watching - even if they are longer than usual, having the length of a real separate film. Vivid, but still realistic characters, picturesque landscapes-townships and short (or sometimes even not visible) evil deeds form a quality standard and widening the audience not keen on constant explosions-fights-killings. I used to watch "Inspector Morse" - and I liked it - and "Lewis" has the same high level, with one exception: now the supporting character (Hathaway, played by Laurence Fox) is more interesting to me than the main one. It is not the question of acting, but the lines imputed to the persons involved.

"Only" 9 points from me as I like the new modernized Sherlock Holmes even more :)
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Vintage Oxford Marmalade
KexUK22 January 2016
This is a dark, thick marmalade with a strong taste of bitter oranges.A very appropriate description for the Inspector Lewis series.

The Inspector Lewis crime mysteries are thick with counter plots leaving plenty of room for digesting many suspects in our thoughts.The scripts are strong and deliciously diverse. You are never quite sure what will arouse your mental palate next.The blending of the 'coaser'northern yet compassionate temperament of Lewis is delicately complimented by the more refined and almost zen-like and endearing intellect of Seargent Hathaway. The whole concoction gives a piquant flavour which is perfectly produced and acted within wonderful settings in Oxford that tempt you to rest in tradition but vault you into the present.Just as that marmalade on the toast in the morning launches you into the day as the flavour hits your senses

Standing in it's own right this series is amazingly good. It is not possible, however,to totally separate this series from the indelible Morse.It's like toast and marmalade.It is sufficient to say,however,that Lewis is as impressive as Morse - perhaps more so since Morse set the level very high. All in all a most excellent marmalade.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another British Mystery Series Home Run
plazaliz12 January 2016
The past couple of years I've had the opportunity to watch several British television series, most recently Inspector Lewis. It's easy to see why this series is so well liked, and now a personal favorite. The plots aren't superficial, the episodes need to be watched carefully in order to not become completely lost. It's a great plus when television can actually engage the mind. There are many references to classic books, plays and music that motivate further research, another plus. Oxford is an interesting and beautiful setting and has brought to life a place that for me has been mostly abstract. The two Inspectors add much needed levity and fresh air to the stuffy university environment, each in their own way. Even though a gifted scholar himself Hathaway's disdain for Oxford and academics in general gives his character authenticity and an edge that's strangely appealing. Laurence Fox does a fabulous job portraying a deeply thoughtful, perhaps somewhat troubled former seminary student turned police inspector, and leaves an intriguing, mysterious allure. Lewis, well-played by Kevin Whately, is a no-nonsense, no frills, honest to the core, kind-hearted, hard-working loyal/devoted family man and friend. He and Hathaway are introverts and keep their personal lives private, a couple colleagues out for a beer much preferable to large gatherings. They "get" each other. Hathaway made the comment that if Lewis ever retired he'd probably do something else because who else would understand him so well? I have also enjoyed the character Dr. Laura Hobson played by Clare Holman, a welcome addition to the cast. It would be great to see her more, have her character developed more. The only irritation for me personally is the character CI Jean Innocent. It's not Rebecca Front's acting because she does such a great job coming across as a hard-nosed superior I often get the urge to whop her upside the head. It's difficult to fathom anyone working more than a few months for someone who is so critical, demeaning, demanding, unbending, appearance motivated and just pretty much an arrogant shrew who likes to throw her weight around, who constantly questions the detectives' judgment even though she's been proved wrong multiple times and never misses the opportunity to cross her arms, raise her eyebrows and make remarks like "don't do it again"; get this settled now or else..."; "I should demote you to street cop but..." "I mean business, get it done...", etc., etc. Unless she's schmoozing with highbrows she's not a nice person. She once looked at the detectives across from her desk after she'd given them instructions and asked, "why are you still sitting here like dogs waiting for a trick?" Really?? She's depicted as a male-basher in a permanent bad mood, like so many British women seem to be portrayed in British series. I don't get it because I've done business and been in various organizations with British women and have had nothing but pleasant experiences, always charming and professional. Most anyone in a position like CI Innocent with that kind of personality would have a constant stream of requests for transfers on her desk and would eventually be under investigation by HR herself. The medieval authoritarian is in serious need of a chill pill. (Xanax anyone?) Other than that it is an absolutely wonderful series with intelligent plots, talented acting, most potentially messy scenes left up to the imagination, lots of well-known actor appearances, intriguing settings and not even close to becoming tiresome or repetitious. I applaud the shows creators and writers, really excellent work.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not a bad start
Tony_J6114 February 2008
*** POSSIBLE SPOILERS *** Finally saw this new series on Channel 7, Australia this week.

I enjoyed the nods to John Thaw (Inspector Morse). Lewis' fall in front of the Jaguar when he leaves the airport with his new sidekick and the use of a character's name, 'Regan' (The Sweeney) were nice tributes to Thaw's most well known shows. Not to mention the instrumentals, played by a support actor during the show. Very nice touch for nostalgics like myself. :-) Will Lewis get to the magic 7 years? Yes, but only if Whately is given a new love and a new lease on life. The sad sack persona worked in Morse, against Thaw's crusty, upper class character, but as a standalone, it will soon become tiresome from a viewers perspective.

It would be nice to not see a repetition of David Jason's down trodden 'Frost'. Surely not all British Police Superintendents belittle their case solving Detective Inspectors?! Kevin Whately has a chance to better Frost, Inspector Lynley Mysteries and others, but he needs a new approach, or his long faced approach may not see him through.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perfect ingredients
tomsview31 May 2016
Of all the crime/mystery series that have been on television, I enjoyed "Lewis" the most. At first I didn't think it was possible for it to supersede my love for "Morse" but it happened quickly.

It took me a little longer to work out why. Even the stars of the show, Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox, don't seem able to explain why the series is such a success. In an interview in Radio Times before the start of the ninth series, Laurence Fox said, "… I've never quite worked it out. But I think that if you've had a bad day, then there's a soothing quality to Lewis. It's quite a salve. There's the lovely music, this beautiful city and these two men who are just gently walking around…"

However I don't think that remotely explains it.

"Lewis" has two qualities that elevate it above the ordinary and it's not necessarily cutting edge stories. First and foremost, Lewis and Hathaway are empathetic characters; they have feeling for their fellow human beings. They accept that failings are also part of the human condition. Hathaway in particular has inner conflict over the direction his life should take while Robbie on the other hand is the more straightforward copper, but a great deal of his powers of detection come from an understanding of human nature.

The other quality that gives every episode of Lewis the edge is that they are buddy movies – buddy movies par excellence. The boys have become friends, not just colleagues. That is such a powerful ingredient that I'm surprised more series don't employ it. It worked for Newman and Redford in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", and it works for Lewis and Hathaway. The buddy has your back, even after a falling out. They may be different types of people but these guys will throw themselves on a grenade for each other.

And look at what Hathaway brings to the partnership, he's bigger than Robbie and he is handy in a scrap. He also has untapped knowledge acquired in his search for the meaning of life – he exudes all this without it ever being stated in the scripts.

Compare a show like "Lewis" with ones that have plenty of action, but where the heroes pursue criminals with the single mindedness and lack of emotion of Javert from "Les Miserables".

Robbie and James are a reassuring constant in a chaotic world.

Even the last episode of "Lewis" (and I am sorry if it is the last), "What Lies Tangled", may not have been one of the strongest stories but the ending is perfect. Incidentally, Laurence Fox was right about the music. Lets hope Barrington Pheloung gets another great series to score.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enough Sap for a Pancake Buffet
Absalom199127 June 2015
I won't go on too long with my comments. Well, too long, perhaps, anyway. I already noted my big concerns about this series already. I'm going through the "Morse" and "Lewis" series in sequence, and here I am - mixing past and present tenses. I know it's all old news and that I'm writing this in an obscure corner of IMDb.

Several of the reviewers here have it right. "Lewis" is weak compared to "Morse" in numerous ways. Times change, producers change, visions change.

However, why do the changes of time, production and vision inevitably seem to move in the direction of laziness, cheap thrills, superficial glitter and decay of respect for characters as representatives of real humanity and human issues as they are actually lived?

This episode was silly. The writing was cynically formulaic, although one wonders if the writer has the kidney to be consciously cynical.

Apparently the intended audience became that impatient bunch who can't be bothered with anything requiring thought, but require the equivalent of an adolescent's screen saver (not that in 2015 any adolescent knows what that is). The images run, inexorably:

Unicorn

Arrogant Old Oxfordian

Lovely Young Face

A Chase/A Rush/A Threat/A CLIMAX

Honeyed Stone of Oxford

All interspersed with shots of Old Increasingly Wise Lewis/Younger Tortured Hathaway.

"Inspector Lewis" is entropic television. It is an colorful, oily puddle made successful because of its positioning to reflect something better - and real.

The worst of it is that the actors and their characters are wasted and caught in the drift. The regulars are marvelous performers.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A more than worthy successor to Inspector Morse and stands very well on its own two feet
TheLittleSongbird24 January 2016
Hearing about Lewis for the first time when it first started, there was a big touch of excitement seeing as Inspector Morse was and still is one of my favourites but also a little intrepidation, wondering whether the series would be as good.

The good news is, like the prequel series Endeavour, Lewis is every bit as good as Inspector Morse and stands very well on its own two feet as a detective mystery and show in general. There is not much to criticise actually, it's a show that started with a lot of promise, got better and better for a while with each season but a few of the episodes the last couple of seasons for my tastes have veered on the bizarre and too convoluted (not helped by the poor decision in the last three seasons to have one story spread over two weeks, where one was most likely to have forgotten what had happened previously and who was who, especially the case with Down Among the Fearful). This said, even the weakest episodes have much more watchability than those of New Tricks and Midsomer Murders, mostly a fan of both but both got tired after changing so much in later seasons. There is certainly plenty to love however.

As to be expected, the production values are of very high quality. All the episodes are beautifully shot, and Oxford not only looks exquisite but is like a supporting character in itself. Barrington Pheloung returns as composer, and does a first-rate job. The theme tune, while not as iconic or quite as clever as Morse's, is very pleasant to listen to, each episode is charmingly and hauntingly scored and the use of classical music is very well-incorporated in every episode (have not quite been able to feel the same way about the finale to the Firebird the same way again), whether it's a character listening to it, a kind of motif or some kind of musical clue.

Lewis is very smartly and intelligently written, with lovely droll exchanges between Lewis and Hathaway, some nice humour, surprising amounts of emotional impact and a real effort to properly develop all the ideas introduced rather than leaving questions in the balance. Really appreciated all the references to Morse too. The story lines a vast majority of the time are most compelling, are never dull, are very suspenseful and have plenty of twists and turns that not only does one not see coming but effort is taken to explain it all. Life Born of Fire, Falling Darkness, Dead of Winter and Beyond Good and Evil are particularly good in this regard. The characters are well written and engaging, who can't help love the dynamic between Lewis and Hathaway (the former being the world weary one with the hunches and the latter the more logical and witty), and that between Lewis and Hobson has a lovely warmth too.

The acting is on the most part terrific, apart from an at times annoying Angela Griffin and some distractingly bad accents on occasion (i.e. Zoe Boyle's in Point of Vanishing). Kevin Whately and Lawrence Fox are superb leads, with Whately being advantaged by Lewis being a more rounded and developed character here, Rebecca Front makes for a commanding superior and Clare Holman is reliably strong too. Many of the guest supporting turns have been very strong too.

Overall, a great series and a worthy successor to a personal favourite. 9/10 Bethany Cox
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best British crime series having run in Germany ***
clemsamlang20 March 2014
I agree with the previous-to-me-poster: Sgt. Hathaway IS a very attracting character! … I just wonder, if his surname is intentionally the same as Will Shakespeare's wife's, Anne Hathaway - ?!?

Did the authors intend a dramatic or psychological allusion to HIM? (E.g.: is James' role supporting a "scholar of human nature", Lewis ? …)

Then, it's fascinating how regional peculiarities are "transponed" into the German synchronized texts…

What I like very much about the whole setup is a nearly "catholic" setup of the scenery (camera again and again moving over cupolas, churches) that bears a very distinct semblance to Florence or even Rome itself

… which again is hinted to by James being an ex-seminarist, isn't it ?

(*** next best being "Linley & Havers" in my opinion.)

P.s.: "Morse" never ran in Germany as far as I can see. Maybe the pre-sequel "Endeavour" will some day? I haven't looked into that, yet, though.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Works of art
tomlinsonbob27 October 2017
Hard act to follow: the phrase could not be better used than in relation to Lewis and Morse. No problem. Kevin Whateley and Lawrence Fox work every bit as well as did Kevin with John Thaw. What makes these series outstanding? Partly the pace, very much so the intelligent camera work. Every shot is beautifully framed. My only grouse is the panic that seems to set in towards the climax of each episode. Turns into a runaway train, derailing the senses.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Want to live in a Lewis-world
dickjan-braggaar24 April 2017
Every time a new series of 'Lewis' appeared, my better half and I watched the lot from the beginning. A lovely way to get very acquainted with the actors, the humor, the stories and the music. From the pilot ('I used to row a bit') tot the end (with the LEWIS card just as in the pilot) it is a delight to watch. I never will understand people who think that on first viewing of a detective they saw it all. It's so multi-layered: first the crime, and when you digested that you can just enjoy the way it is made, the beautiful surroundings, the music, the humor, and last bus not least: the friendship. My god, how wonderful this is. When we watched the last episode my wife told me that she saw a tear in my eye. She was right.
Lewis is the tops
Parker Lewis4 November 2016
Ironically I never was drawn to Inspector Morse, but I immediately became a big fan of Lewis. Having visited Oxford awhile ago, it was fascinating to see the Oxford University colleges being a backdrop to a series that's expertly scripted and with outstanding performances.

Curiously, we don't see Lewis and Hathaway solving crimes around Oxford Brookes University (which is a bona fide university in Oxford by the way and offers accredited degrees) or along Cowley Road or around surrounding suburbs such as the Wood Farm estate (leading to Awgar Stone Road) or Blackbird Leys. Maybe that's way too gritty for TV audiences if you know what I mean.

Maybe one day Inspector Lewis can be rebooted for maybe another season or two. It is very high caliber TV.
Almost Perfection
G. R.28 September 2016
I recently watched all the episodes again, starting with with Pilot (Episode 0, as labelled).This show is almost perfection, with fine acting and engaging story lines in a beautiful and civilized setting, except for the last few episodes when it tries to be a little too American. Sorry, there is no other way to put it. The stories become more and more violent, the characters added lack true representation of the British population (hardly any major South Asian characters) but most importantly, the focus shifts from Lewis, the middle-aged Gentle Hero (after whom the show is named!) to Hathaway the Young-and- the-Proud. Even the final scene is off-base. I believe the US backed production has something to do with this obvious shift, not realizing that one of the main reasons British crime shows are so popular in the US (and worldwide) is because, unlike their American counterparts, they are unrealistically more gentle and civilized in their approach to crime and also have something distinctly British about them. So, if any of the producers is reading this, please do not mess with a good thing. Thank you PBS, for getting it almost perfectly right.
Disappointing, stale follow-up to Morse
hou-37 June 2015
Morse was a classic series, largely due to the enigmatic central character brilliantly played by John Thaw, plus the wonderful music. Lewis I have watched again and again and despite the fine acting by Keven Whateley and Lawrence Fox, it never works. The sheer clunkiness of the plots, which Thaw somehow managed to transform or at least make tolerable, becomes oppressive, and panoramic shots of Oxford - always filmed in beautiful sunshine - are increasingly given prominence to try and make the whole thing work. The extended format, which weighed proceedings down in Morse, becomes totally tedious in Lewis. I know I'm in a minority on this but what the heck - in my view the follow-up was a mistake and that's that.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you liked Morse...
fastoutfield19 March 2014
...you'll like Lewis. It has the same virtues: excellent writing and production values, good stories, engaging characters portrayed by first-rate actors--and Oxford.

I should note that I've only got as far as Series 3 to this point, so it's possible I'll change my mind later on, if the show doesn't maintain its quality. But Morse did, through more than 30 episodes of 90+ minutes each--so why shouldn't Lewis? Indeed it's at least possible that when all is said and done I might decide I like it even better than Morse, which I certainly didn't expect when I started watching the first episode of the first series.

I add finally that my only access to this series is on DVD and I've bought the first seven series. I'll buy more if there are more. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointing and unimaginative way to end a series
kathebaud31 May 2015
"Lewis" Has become one of my favourite British dramas. The first 6 series have been very enjoyable. The plot, characters, ambiance, musical score, have been excellent and enjoyable.

However, I believe that series 7 and 8 are not going to be as enjoyable, with dissonance and tension between the main protagonists becoming more obvious and overshadowing other aspects of the program. If the writers/producers/actors/the tea lady etc. want to end the program, just end it. Not explanations needed. On a high note. Leave us baying for the encore that never comes. Elvis or Lewis, has left the building.

Alienating viewers from characters that have been developed for viewers to like/dislike/form a rapport with etc only to see the disintegration of their relationship with each other sounds like very unappealing viewing. I won't be watch series 7 & 8 for this reason. Very unimaginative way to deal with 25% of a series.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
People with causes really are no different from people with religion.
wisely_said2 January 2016
Be honest, please. 1) It's never wrong to love. Okay. So love. 2) If you are gay don't go to a straightening meeting for "couples therapy." WHAT? How stupid ARE these people? Go to a gay bar and talk to the bartender instead. The outcome will be better. I really really really didn't get that part. 3) If nobody is forcing you to go to this meeting, don't kill the people who are leading it. They're entitled to their opinion. Everybody is. If your cause is just, people will catch on. 4) Is this supposed to engender sympathy for gays? It didn't. It made them look pitiful and stupid and hateful and crazy. The religious folks came off as shallow stereotypes. Did those religious people torture the gay people? No. Did the gays torture AND kill the religious people? Yes. 5) Isn't using a woman in the role of a trans-gendered man the same as putting a white actor in black face?

Inspector Lewis is my only reason for giving this ANY points when he gives the only honest line of the entire show. He points out that people with causes really are no different from people with religion.

This was a poorly written episode. Plot points were stretched to the point of breaking and the end was an overly dramatic bit of exploitative filler one would expect from a lesser series.
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this