IMDb > Red State (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Red State

Red State More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Best Kevin Smith Film to Date!

Author: sethmartin_2 from United States
2 February 2011

I had the honor of seeing a screening of Red State last night at Laser Pacific in Hollywood as part of the Red State of the Union film school program Kevin Smith held.

Prior to going in, I refused to read any of the Sundance screening reviews of the film because I wanted to avoid spoilers and go in with a fresh experience. I had high expectations and I was not disappointed.

The film begins with sort of the stereotypical horror movie formula, teenagers go out looking for sex and find themselves staring death in the face. However, what happens to them in Red State is a far departure from your standard Jason or Michael Myers flick. The film is hardly a stereotypical horror movie. In fact, Kevin Smith deliberately goes out of his way in this film to keep it far from the typical story arch and structure of most studio movies. Just when you think you know what is going to happen next, Smith hits you with another twist and surprise. This film is completely unpredictable and unforgiving of its characters.

I must congratulate Mr. Smith on the exceptional camera-work and editing in this picture. This is by far the best looking Kevin Smith movie to date. The constant use of hand held cameras and creative cutting, keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. I think a fair comparison would be Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" or parts of the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Also, the film has no musical underscore. It uses ambiance and sound effects in place which works beautifully for this film. Most films use music to enhance the mood and make you feel a certain way. In this film, you can tell Kevin Smith doesn't care how you feel and wants you to just sit there and take it.

The cast is also spectacular. Michael Parks steals the show. Also John Goodman delivers the goods and has a lot more screen time than the teaser trailer suggests.

All in all, I think this film is one of the best films I have seen in the last few years. With everything being computer generated these days, it refreshing to see a small practical film like this which still holds as much power as one of the big boy studio flicks. And for those of you worrying about the political or religious messages, there aren't any. This movie does not preach religious views to you nor does it take any kind of political side. Its plain and simple. This is just a horror movie about a family of psychos. The fact that they are religious just adds to the terror.

The movie also features one of the best endings ever.

Neutral review.

Author: El_Beastador from United Kingdom
3 September 2011

OK. So after reading the other reviews and deciding to watch this based on the positive reports, I feel compelled to offer a more realistic review.

First of all, this is not the masterpiece it's made out to be. A lot of Kevin Smith fanboys seem reluctant to give him a bad review.

So here we go, it's a bit of a mess really. It seems to be getting a lot of praise for switching genres but honestly, it just comes across as confused. Yes, the performances are pretty good and some of the camera work is exceptional (the escape/chase scene is noteworthy) but overall it's almost like three films in one. This might sound like a good thing but not the way it's presented here.

And as for everybody trying to get clever over the title, the meaning is pretty clear to me. It refers to both the political and the government angle that the authorities can lock any suspected terrorist up for an indefinite time. A la communist/red states.

Overall, some good performances, memorable dialogue and decent cinematography fail to save this confused mess.

Can we do better than "Dogma?" Yes, we can.

Author: UncleTantra from Leiden, the Netherlands
3 September 2011

OK, so as part of Kevin Smith's guerrilla marketing campaign for this movie, it aired on PPV in the US last night. That means that it was on the torrentnet this morning, and as a result I got to watch it in Europe tonight. I'm still reeling from the experience.

I mean, we are talking Kevin Smith, king of the slacker movies, but at the same time the creator of one of the most intelligent and well-done movies about religion ever made, "Dogma." I have seen every one of Kevin Smith's films, some of them multiple times. But as much as I like the guy, I've never found myself asking, "What would happen if this guy decided to step away from the slacker comedy and make a serious movie -- a horror movie about America, as he sees it?" I never saw this movie coming.

"Red State" is at its heart a horror movie. It starts by playing to horror movie conventions. Three teenaged guys, off for a night of fun in a neighboring Southern town, follow an Internet ad promising them a three-way with a willing older woman, and as a result wander into the WRONG Southern town. This town is the home of a Chrisschun religious cult, and they placed the ad. Try to imagine what the gay-hating and sex-hating Westboro Baptist Church would be like if they decided to take God's Law into their own hands and start killing the sinners themselves. Then try to imagine the situation escalating into a machine-gun-fire standoff with the ATF. What makes this such a good horror movie is that the horror could actually happen in the US. Everything about this movie is shocking *because it could actually happen*.

Kevin Smith is a closet politco. Who knew? This is a very, very, very powerful movie, about the hell that the United States of America has descended into post-9/11. It is SO not a comedy, although it contains very funny moments, and it is SO not for the faint-hearted, or for those who lean heavily to the right politically, or who believe that doing so is synonymous with leaning to the Right. God's Right.

With this film, Kevin Smith has risen to the top of my list of People I Most Want To Share Two Too Many Beers With Just So I Can Talk With Them.

Didn't know Smith had it in him

Author: Justin Stokes from Cleburne, TX
3 October 2011

I've never considered myself a Kevin Smith fan. While I liked "Mallrats", what I've seen of his other works has left me unimpressed. When I heard he would be tackling a horror film, I wasn't exactly enthused by the prospect, though horror is easily my favorite genre. In fact, I had pretty much forgotten about it until I came across a trailer online. That trailer, combined with the solid cast Smith was able to line up, changed my tune, so I was excited to see the film available on pay-per-view. After watching it, I can safely say that it's Smith's best film to date, which in itself isn't the highest of praise. However, it's also one of the best films I've seen all year.

Through an online ad, three teenage boys find a woman who is willing to have sex with all three of them at the same time. They go off to meet her, but it turns out to be a ploy, and they soon find themselves held captive in the rural compound of Abin Cooper and his fundamentalist religious cult. Cooper's group, known as the Five Points Church, is well-known for protesting at funerals of gays and causing various other commotions due to their beliefs. However, the true extent of how far they're willing to go due to the demoralization of America will soon be known to their three captives.

Smith's films have always been heavy on dialogue, and "Red State" is certainly no different. The dialogue here, though, is no laughing matter, particularly as Abin Cooper delivers a lengthy, vitriol-laced sermon to his flock. Michael Parks ("The Evictors", "From Dusk Til Dawn") has been around for a long time, but never has he been more on top of his game than he is here as the Five Points Church matriarch. You hear hyperbolic terms like "tour de force" thrown around all the time, but Parks' performance in this film is one that truly deserves to be described as such. The hateful conviction with which Cooper gives his sermon and the psychotic glee when he belittles those who don't share his beliefs are scarily real thanks to the strength of Parks, who never misses a beat.

The dialogue and film in general are clearly Smith's take on Fred Phelps and his infamous Westboro Baptist Church, but the film switches gears midway through and throws in some commentary on the Waco/Branch Davidian fiasco as well with the introduction of John Goodman as Joseph Keenan, an ATF agent poised to take out Cooper and his clan. After the local sheriff gets wind of the church's murderous activities, he contacts Keenan, who has been watching the group for quite some time. Keenan leads several ATF agents to the compound for a simple in and out, but after his second in command is shot dead, his superiors inform him that no one is to leave the compound alive, hostages and children included.

From here, the film takes more of an action turn as opposed to the horror-oriented first half. We bare witness to a thrilling shootout as Keenan struggles with his conscience and unlikely allies inside the compound try to find a way to bring the children to safety. Anyone familiar with the events in Waco or documentaries on the incident, such as the infuriating "Waco: The Rules of Engagement", will definitely see the parallels between the real life happenings and what goes on here. Smith's film is just as much an indictment against the ATF and government B.S. as it is against those who give religious people a bad name.

Goodman gives the other great performance of the film as the ATF agent stuck between a rock and a hard place. While his confliction is evident even after he relents and follows the orders of his superiors, he really shines in his final scene where he must explain the events to two government officials. I've always been a huge fan of Goodman's, and his monologue in this scene is some of the best acting of his career. Indeed, belief is a powerful thing. It's what you choose to do with it that defines you.

Also in the cast are Academy Award winner, Melissa Leo, as Abin's daughter, Kevin Pollak in a "mind-blowing" cameo and the always quirky Stephen Root as the troubled sheriff. Smith assembled quite the cast for this venture. Independently financed, the method of release for this film has been odd to say the least, but I'm just happy to have seen it. The tone of the film is sporadic, always shifting and keeping the viewer off kilter. There is a little humor thrown in too, as is to be expected with Smith, but this is a pretty serious picture overall. If I had one qualm with it, it's the whole explanation for the trumpet bit, which seemed a little out there and overcomplicated. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed what Smith delivered here.

If what I've heard is true, and Kevin Smith is intending to retire from filmmaking after his next movie, at least he went out with a bang. "Red State" is a successful change of pace.

"Fundamentally" inconsistent.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
4 November 2011

If nothing else, Red State is memorable. A trio of horny teenage boys gets baited and captured by an armed to the teeth fanatical cult. The attempted escape of two of them precipitates a Waco on steroids violent showdown between the cult in their compound and ATF agents outside that have botched the situation and are ordered to take drastic measures to clean up their mistake.

As a horror movie, it's pretty decent, but it sort of fizzles out by the finale, and the ending is something you'll either think is clever or not as clever as Kevin Smith thought it was. Red State earned enough goodwill from me during its disturbing first half to carry me through its trigger-happy, tone-shifted latter half and earn it a slightly positive rating. Check it out to sate your curiosity, but don't expect to be blown away.

What a mess!

Author: spyroskonst from Greece
11 September 2011

First of all i'd like to mention from all reviews i read the best one is from user "dean2804" with whom i agree 100%.

Having said that, yes this movie is a mess. The good or the bad way? Well basically the mediocre way. Its 3 movies all presented in one: begins as a typical thriller with religious Christian psychos a-la "God hates gays so we kill them all", continues as a war/action and concludes as political.

The GOOD: nice work by the actors, camera, music, direction. Loved them all. Nice character development, not even one of them is a "random character just waiting to die" type. Really good job on changing the film from thriller/action/political without annoying the audience. Explains pretty much everything in the end, plain and clear.

The BAD: The "echo sound" at the end of the movie was useless & almost hilarious as an explanation. Simply put, just ignore it. Although liked the film & kept me till the end, i felt there was something missing. It was an OK film, but for some reason lacked the "wow" factor.

OVERALL: i'd suggest you to check it. You won't regret it and even if you don't like the whole film, at least you'll enjoy some of its parts.

A "Red" Mess

Author: slasherstudios from United States
23 October 2011

On the way to school, Travis (Michael Angarano) notices members of the Five Points Church, led by Abin Cooper (Michael Parks) protesting the funeral of a local gay teenager who was found murdered. During Travis' first class, his teacher talks about how Cooper and his church had their town ridiculed for his actions and beliefs. Later, Jared (Kyle Gallner), a friend of Travis, reveals he received an invitation from a woman he met on a sex site for group sex with himself, Travis and Billy Ray (Nicholas Braun). They borrow Travis' parent's car and travel out into the country to meet with the woman.

Along the way, they accidentally sideswipe the vehicle of Sheriff Wynan (Stephen Root), while he was engaged in a homosexual affair in his car. Afraid, the boys drive off. Sheriff Wynan returns to the station and tells his deputy Pete (Matt L. Jones) to go and look for the vehicle. Meanwhile, the boys arrive at the trailer of the woman who sent out the invitation, Sarah Cooper (Melissa Leo). She encourages them to drink, and after being drugged by the beer, they pass out while undressing. Jared wakes up while being moved in a covered cage. He realizes he is in the sanctuary at Five Points after he identifies Cooper. Cooper begins a long, hate-filled sermon before identifying another captive, a homosexual they lured in through an internet chat room. They bind him to a cross using saran wrap, violently execute him with a revolver and drop him into a small crawl space where Travis and Billy Ray are bound together.

Cooper then begins binding Jared to the cross, but stops when he notices Pete driving up to the church. Travis and Billy Ray use a protruding bone from the corpse to cut themselves free, which is heard by Caleb (Ralph Garman). He lifts up the trap door just in time to see Billy Ray escape and begins after him. Billy Ray is not able to help Travis out of his tight saran wrap cuffs and leaves him for dead. Caleb chases Billy Ray while passing Travis into a room stocked with weapons, where the two end up shooting and killing each other. Pete hears the gunshots and calls Wynan for back-up, but is shot and killed by Mordechai (James Parks). Cooper then blackmails Wynan, telling him to stay away or he will reveal Wynan's homosexuality to his wife. In despair, Wynan calls ATF Agent Joseph Keenan (John Goodman), who begins setting up outside of the church.

While the family mourn Caleb, Travis (who had broken free and feigned death alongside Billy Ray's corpse) arms himself and makes a run for it, eventually making it outside where he is shot and killed by Wynan, who mistook him for a member of the congregation. Keenan tries to reason with the family but a shoot-out erupts instead after one Keenan's men is shot in the head. In the midst of the shooting, Agent Keenan receives a call from ATF higher-ups ordering him to start a full raid of the complex to ensure that no witnesses remain of the operation, and no one can tell of their mess up. Another tactical agent named "Harry" (Kevin Alejandro) struggles with this decision and argues with Keenan in private against doing this. Keenan coldly dismisses Harry's protests for personal reasons -- rationalizing his decision based on personal gain and the reputation of the ATF -- and Harry storms off in disgust. During the shoot-out, Cheyenne (Kerry Bishé) unbinds Jared, begging him to help her hide the children.

Jared coldly refuses due to the fact that the church is evil and had killed both his best friends, and the argument turns into a fight. Sarah notices them and attacks Jared. Cheyenne tries to break up the fight and accidentally shoots Sarah in the process, killing her. Jared, realizing no matter what he does he will end up dead, helps Cheyenne hide the children. They run outside to plead with Keenan to spare the children but are brutally shot and murdered by Tactical Agent Harry, who has come around to accepting Keenan's rationales, though Keenan is now visibly disturbed the reality of this outcome and Harry's actions. The shoot-out is then suddenly interrupted when a mysterious loud trumpet ominously blast echos across the sky.

If "Red State" proves one thing it is that Kevin Smith is a much better writer than he is a director. In the comedy genre, direction only matters so much. If the jokes aren't there, what can a director do? He can't make "nothing" funny. In the horror genre, the role of the director is key. He is responsible for the scares, the pacing, the thrills, and the overall tone of the movie. "Red State" works as written but the film as directed is a bit of a mess. Far too many characters, a limp, lackluster editing, and too many "Kevin Smith type" characters. I kept thinking how a movie like this would be directed in the hands of a more accomplished filmmaker who could get a hold of the subject matter such as Rob Zombie. I appreciate the effort here and the performances are all uniformally good but it all adds up to very little.

Oh Kevin

Author: jgf6169 from United Kingdom
31 October 2011

I've never felt the urge to write a review before but... I'm only 3/4 through this film and I had to register with IMDb to let the masses know that this is not a good film. It might be better if you don't know who Kevin Smith is, I noticed it had a bad review when I got it but thought "hey its Kevin Smith how bad could it be" how wrong I was. If you're the curious type then give it a blast and for any fans of the director it might be worth 88 minutes of your life too but only to see how bad things can be. I hear that Samuel L turned down the role of the main agent, the obvious next choice would be John Goodman!?!?!?WTF, thought he was going to distend his rectum yelling into the radio at one point. Loved Roseanne tho.

Peace.

LIke a fried fast food version of "Fargo" spiced with Tarantino clichés. Not at all good and does NOT have 3 acts

Author: Navywarrior
14 September 2011

This movie had potential. It could've easily have been a companion piece to "Hostel", like a religious fundamentalist version. And there are a DOZEN horrible ways that Xtians used to kill people (Brazing Bull, Sawing, witch trial stuff, etc.) But clearly this movie was rushed together and slapped together TOO quickly. It was like Kevin SMith wanted to get this movie out SO quickly that he didn't care about crafting a complete film. The movie is missing a necessary first act, there's no real setup. ANd so when we cut to the 2nd act the tonal change doesn't work. Instead the thriller/murder stuff isn't shocking since we see it coming. And when the FBI/ATF/whatever shows up to kill the church people it's like half of a third act intrudes into the film and never completes itself. The "Rapture" stuff was compelling and even with his nobudget resources Smith should've tried to do this instead of the cop out ending (no pun intended) that he did. It would've made the movie pay off and truly scary since we've never seen a rapture before on screen. But instead we get a half-baked Coen brothers style ripoff of an ending with a pointless monologue by Goodman that's so muddled its a metaphor for this mess of a film. Again, there was a lot of potential here. Maybe someday this film will get remade by someone that cares. My guess is that Smith was so hurt by the critical backlash over "Cop Out" that he was rushing to get back into the game so he could repair his street cred before it was too late (in his mind that is). But it seems like his career went on hold after "Zach and Miri" flopped since Weinstein stopped financing films for him. So "Red State" feels like Smith is trying WAY too hard to win us back with a hard-hitting film that is hard-core for the sake of being hardcore instead of just being a good movie, which it is not. But again, there was some good ideas here. Michael Parks is also EXCELLENT and had the movie been a better vehicle for his performance then I suspect he could've really been remembered in this. His character had cult status written all of it but the film falls apart so quickly that it doesn't sell him they way it should. Even the font used for the titles (ironic as it is in its simplicity) is a turn-off because of how 'simple' it is. It's like Kevin is just tossing this movie out like it's this effortless thing for him yet rather than it coming off as confident it comes off as a form of skimming, like a student who waits the night before a test to study a semester's worth of material. I really wanted to like this film but Kevin's experiment in a film that is edited as he films it goes against the great tradition of filmmaking in a sense-- i.e. if you are going to mimic greats like Tarantino and the Coens who are Kubrickian in their attention to detail and slave over their films, then rushing a movie out contradicts the process they are known for using (they take their time letting their films grow). This is like a fried fast food version of "Fargo" spiced up with Tarantino flourishes/clichés. And like fried food, it's not good for you in the end and doesn't really taste that great the longer you eat it.

Silent theater, Silent Bob...

Author: Baby Firefly from Norway
9 September 2011

I first read about this movie when it was just called "Kevin Smith horror project". I was so exited to see Kevin Smith take the step from stoner comedy to a political, dark movie, as I thought this was. Being a fan of Clerks, Dogma and Silent Bob himself, I didn't think he could make a movie I didn't like. I didn't expect to laugh, obviously, but this movie didn't give me anything at all!

I recently watched the documentary "Small town, Gay bar" from 2007 with Kevin Smith as one of the executive producers. The documentary evolves around the Westboro Baptist church led by Fred Phelps. A fanatic religious cult that don't like gay people very much. Sounds familiar? Well, it would if you had seen "Red State". At one point in the movie a police officer even compares the cult to the WBC and Fred Phelps. The documentary scared me more than this movie did.

The actors did an OK job with a slow script , but I don't predict any Oscars in the future, not for this anyway. Anna Gunn and Matt L. Jones from "Breaking Bad" had small parts and I enjoyed seeing "Badger" as a police officer, that actually did make me laugh :o)

In other words, I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. Its not scary, its not shocking and its just not a very good movie. Please go back to making movies about what you know Kevin Smith. We can't all be serious. Comedy is an art itself :o)

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]