IMDb > Boot Camp (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Boot Camp

Author: Spuzzlightyear from Vancouver
24 January 2013

It's amusing to see that I've seen movies like Boot Camp before, from the hippie "Punishment Park" in the 70's to the Olivia Hussey "Turkey Shoot" which blended this genre, amusingly, with "The Most Dangerous Game" this type of material is not exactly original. (And actually, if you want to take it further, movies like "Battle Royale" and of course "The Hunger Games" owe a lot to this as well). Obnoxious, misunderstood kids are taken forcefully away from their home and onto an island, where they try to learn some manners! Fortunately Mila Kunis and Gregory Smith disagree with the whole setup, and try to find a way to escape. Comparing it with other films of the same genre, it's a bit more hard to take, because it takes itself way too seriously for it's own good.

the real ASAP is WWASPS

Author: lovethatstach from north carolina, usa
20 April 2012

these places do exist today. i went to one of these schools. carolina springs academy in SC and pillars of hope on costa rica. just google 'wwasps' and you'll see. its the umbrella organization 'worldwide association of specialty programs and schools' that all of these boarding schools operated under. there are now lawsuits, and the truth is coming out. there was a real riot at my school in costa rica. it was a few years before i got there. you can read the stories of real survivors at www.wwaspssurvivors.com. including my own. this movie was pretty accurate to what we went through, only there was NO contact with the opposite sex, and we could never talk.

Very True Stuff

Author: mmhphx from United States
20 May 2010

For those of you that think programs like this don't exist, you are very wrong! I spent 10 months in Spring Creek Lodge in Montana, which was actually very nice compared to other programs that are, like Spring Creek, affiliated with WWASP (World Wide Association of Specialty Programs). Look it up!! There are so many documented abuses in their facilities outside of the U.S. (Jamaica, Mexico, Costa Rica, Somoa). Most of them have been shut down, but they are still out there!! When I was at Spring Creek in Montana, there was an incident at Dundee Ranch in Costa Rica....very similar to what happens in this movie. The kids rioted and took the place over, setting fires and having sex. A lot of them ran off into the wilderness. Most were located and sent to other programs like mine in Montana. Also, look into the High Impact program that was shut down in Tecate, Mexico. This stuff does exist, and it's devastating! And good parents are deceived every day by their very false advertising! And they do come and kidnap you in the night, just like in the film.....messed up stuff.

Tries and fails

Author: Freddiedk from Denmark
3 December 2013

This very intriguing film idea, is completely let down by the writers, the director and the supporting cast. Mila Kunis, Gregory Smith and Peter Stormare all do a somewhat decent job, but it's obvious that the directing is worse than sub par. But at least the cinematography is above average.

The subject of this movie is very interesting, and apparently true. This is very shocking to me, and was reason enough for me to watch the film.

All in all I really hope someone takes this subject and try again, because there is a good film hidden in this somewhere. Christian Duguay and the writers just didn't uncover it.

Island of Dr. Moreau?

Author: Alexandra French from United States
15 August 2011

Not really sure why it was categorized as a suspense/thriller... there was nothing suspenseful or thrilling about it at all. The beginning was a bit slow, and to be honest, it didn't really pick up until the last thirty minutes or so. I think the only reason I kept watching was because I knew it was based on actual events, and that compelled me to continue. It was very 'Island of Dr. Moreau'-esque. I didn't really make that connection until about two-thirds through the movie, but once I did, there was no denying the parallels. It's almost as if it was a cross between 'The Island of Dr. Moreau' and 'Hotel Rwanda,' as disturbing as that sounds. It had the same general plot line as IoDM but also with the same sense of candidness that was in HR. Like I said... disturbing... especially when you consider that it's based on real events.

This isn't a Basic Training Military Boot Camp movie.

Author: shorvath55 from United States
28 December 2010

I saw this movie on IMDb's Web site where it was advertised as unedited, but to no surprise at all, it was edited for content after all. I really was not aware that these kinds of camps existed in the 1970's. My life experiences in a college dormitory and in Basic Training in the United States Army taught me that when young people are forced into a community, the leaders of these camps maintain their authority with threats of physical violence and fear. As usual there are those in commend who go a step beyond and abuse their power. These abuses of power lead to young women or men being raped, physically abused, or even killed to uphold the power and instill fear in and over the rest of the group. These type of incidents were clearly exhibited in the movie and gave a disturbing feeling while viewing as helpless and innocent children were abused and tortured by their captors without any consequence or punishment.

Nice portrayal of real life instances.

Author: rollinrollin48 from United States
8 August 2011

As someone who was in places similar to what this movie portrays, it was an excellent film. It did an excellent job of showing how places like that are run. How people can be staff members and think they are really doing good. How easily kids can turn on one another if given the slightest idea of freedom. And the fact the director of the place was just as twisted as the idea of the camp.. It all still makes me sick. The film absolutely hit home a lot of times. I thought they did an excellent job showing this. They may not have showed all that happens at these places, but they showed what needed to be showed and I am glad to know people are a little more knowledgeable now that they have seen this film.

What's all the fuss about ?

Author: wvisser-leusden from Netherlands
29 August 2009

A 'boot camp', as shown in this film, makes a convenient place wealthy parents can send their out-of-control teenage children to. I didn't know they existed in this form, but can imagine very well why.

When it comes to the pictured camp-life, I don't see much difference with a regular army place. Just like millions of soldiers in past and present, these teenagers are taught how to obtain goals by close cooperation under tough conditions.

And yes, just like everywhere else, you have the good and the bad ones. Inevitably bringing in some crime & casualties.

Although getting a little melodramatic at times, 'Boot Camp' makes a good watch. Different from this film's message, however, I see no reason to condemn institutes like these. No doubt the majority of its inhabitants will get out better prepared for life than they were when they arrived.

Very gruesome but important film

Author: mistoppi from Finland
2 January 2016

First think you think about while watching this film is how horrible the camps are - and how bizarre and scary it is that these camps actually exist even today. It would feel better if this film was about some dystopian society, but no. It makes you hate humanity a little. How is it possible that parents can't control their children at all? And even if your child was a horrible, uncontrollable little monster does that justify this kind of protocol? Even prisons seem almost kind comparing to these camps. The purpose of the film was definitely to make people think about the subject, and the film succeeds in this very well. Every gruesome detail in the story is excellently effective.

One other important thing is that you want the characters to say something or do something OR you think how you'd do in that situation. That thought isn't always so realistic, but still you think how you'd at least want to act. But whenever the characters seem to give in to the camp and its systems, you just want to grab them and shake them, and yell at them not to do it.

The ideas of Boot Camp are brought to the audience very clearly. It could be a document without any kind of story to it, but still the story and fictional characters bring the film to life. You may not like the teenagers sent to the camp, but you definitely root for them instead of the adults controlling the camp. And the story is great, even if you ignore the reality to it. It is brutal with moments of hope, followed by moments of even greater despair. Maybe the end of the film isn't how it would really go down, but it brings the audience some kind of hope - and it gives some kind of closure to the film. If the end was realistic, it would be an awful end to a film. Think about the realistic ending, even if you haven't seen the movie. The realistic ending would be the characters just being brainwashed and abused, and then finally going back to their normal life, except it wouldn't be normal anymore. How can anyone adjust to normal life after experiencing something like this?

Boot Camp is shot in a very interesting way. Most of the cinematography is typical, but especially flashbacks are shot differently. They stand out, like flashbacks should. The colours are also amazing. Worst part is the island the camp is at. It seems like the perfect spot for a holiday, but what goes on in there ruins the atmosphere. So the location for the film is very skilfully chosen.

I recommend Boot Camp to everyone. It is really harsh, but since this happens in real life, it's very important to watch.

Parents,children,love

Author: Slobodan Stamenkovic from Belgrade
21 June 2014

Story about solving problems or making them even bigger. This is story about parents and their kids, invited to this world without knowledge where they are going and without consent. Then something happens between parents and child, we have problems and some parents think problems can be solved better by other people. What about love?

What is limit for showing love to your better half ? Maybe I would do something else but this character is being radical.

Love is like mission impossible so everything is possible. Sophie asks boyfriend something ,and he hesitates but after sometime he realizes what love is and...

Mila Kunis is like always...

You have minimum two reasons to watch this movie. One is good life story,another is Mila Kunis. No no I am wrong three reasons, good life story, Mila Kunis choosing this script and Mila Kunis acting!

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]