IMDb > Boot Camp (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boot Camp

Boot Camp More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

I really don't know what to think of this movie

Author: literacola-1 from United States
12 May 2008

Within the first 15 minutes of the film I was about to turn it off because of the horrible acting, but I just couldn't. I finished the entire thing and there was just something about it that I really enjoyed. The entire story was something that I have never seen in a film before, and nothing was really predictable about it.

Most of the horrible acting came from no name actors. Mila Kunis played her role very well, as did Peter Stormare. There was something really cheesy about the whole "captured and taken to an island" idea, but I really think with some better actors it could have been pulled off much better.

The cinematography was excellent, and the soundtrack was just amazing. The island location was a perfect choice and really added a lot to the film.

I still don't know why I enjoyed it so much, but I would say it is worth a rental to see for yourself.

Different...

Author: deltatask1 from United States
15 May 2008

This film is actually not bad. I was entertained. The plot was very different from the usual ones. Good acting. The film makes you think about what kind of programs like "ASAP" exists today. During the film my mind kept thinking about how this kind of abuse is currently going on in the world. It's hard to believe that it's still going on. I would recommend this movie, but don't expect any hard action or fight scenes. It's pretty slow I felt, but yet at the same time you wanted to see what was going to happen next, but not in a suspenseful way. It was just an interesting and different kind of movie. All in all I give this movie a 6 out of 10 stars. Good acting.

Overall Better Than Expected...to the guy who says the kids are all spoiled...

Author: benromansky from Outer Space
22 June 2010

Mila Kunis and her boyfriend played great roles, and the foreign guy played a good self- righteous "doctor" with a god complex. As someone who went to one of these places, New Dominion in Maryland - I take offense to the reviewer who says these places are for "spoiled kids". Guess what, the one I went to was 95 percent sentenced juvenile offenders, and I was one of the lucky "spoiled kids". My crime - nothing - I have no criminal record. The one I went to wasn't as "Lord of the Flies" like, but there was physical abuse, and sexual abuse that they covered up but definitely existed. There are no regulation on these places. To say people deserve it is messed up. I still suffer PTSD from being at the one I went to, probably the result of being body slammed for speaking my mind and being mentally tortured on a 24/7 basis. It's also nice to have to work chipping at rocks to get your food and to get a grade A concussion and be told to "walk it off". Anyway I'm now graduated from college with honors, but these sick places still exist. I will never forget being told by the juvenile offenders there that they'd rather be back in prison.

Great Flick

Author: Stewystew from Ireland
11 May 2008

I haven't seen a good flick like this in awhile, you really feel for the characters and the situations they go through. Plus the story is based on true events.

Parents who think their children are out of control send them away to camp serenity where they think they are being looked after, little do they know its a torture camp with twisted, manipulated methods to get the kids to change.

This is a great night in flick, I recommend it. Mila Kunis from that 70's show and forgetting sarah marshall is great in this film. You will not be disappointed.

Very good and very different.

Author: xXsynXx from United States
24 October 2009

This movie brought an issue to my attention that I didn't know existed. "Tough Love" Boot Camps are portrayed correctly in this movie, and in some cases, the real camps are much more difficult experiences. The first 10 minutes or so were a little slow, and I wasn't sure what to think. When the characters got to the camp, though, I was enthralled. This movie just keeps you at the edge of your seat. And no matter how brutal the characters are to each other, you can't bring yourself to look away. Overall, I gave this movie 9 out 10 stars for an interesting idea, good acting, and good directing. The only thing to warn anyone about would be that it does get brutal and has some language, so it is definitely not recommended for younger audiences. Other than that, I advise you to see this. You won't be sorry!

Bumpy start, Brutal finish

Author: Aka_Who from United States
17 December 2008

A little thrown off by the "excessiveness" in the beginning of this film I was pleased to see the pace quickly changed into an intriguingly heart wrenching and fist clenching experience. Pulling no punches in exposing the cruelty that exists in these rehabilitation centers you frequently find yourself a little uneasy with this films content (especially upon remembering that this was based on true events). A lot of content is crammed into this sole title as the story is a melting pot of drama, action, and even a relatively strong love story. Not a dull moment is to be found within this running time. The visuals compliment the story well with a beautiful setting and equally stunning cast.

Do the End Justify the Means?

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 March 2009

In Denver, the rebel Sophie (Mila Kunis) misses her deceased father and hates her stepfather Karl (Serge Houde), pushing him to the edge. After a serious incident with his guests at home, she is sent to the ASAP – Advanced Serenity Achievement Program – a correctional facility in Fiji Island leaded by Norman Hail (Peter Stormare), who self-entitles doctor, to be rehabilitated in a socially acceptable pattern of behavior. She finds a concentration camp without human rights that uses abusive military training techniques to brainwash the offenders. Meanwhile her boyfriend Ben (Gregory Smith) forces a situation at home to be sent to the same boot camp and escape with Sophie.

"Boot Camp" explains in the very beginning that is based on a true event; therefore it seems that it really does exist places like the Serenity Camp in the world. The story does not have the intention to discuss whether these boot camps are necessary or not, but to show a specific place directed by an unprepared man with psychological problems that uses torture techniques as if the end could justify the means. A dictatorship with absolute power associated to playing God always generates injustices and corruption and is doomed to fail. The story is entertaining, but some of the teenagers (and parents) depicted in the movie really deserve to be sent to a correctional facility or to a shrink to resolve their issues. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "A Ilha - Uma Prisão Sem Grades" ("The Island – A Prison Without Bars")

Not brilliant but definitely something different....

Author: xxTusharxx (maschile4u@yahoo.ca) from Megha Valley
24 November 2008

..which is probably the reason enough for one time watch. I liked the movie for its different approach and the questions it raises and forces us to ponder over the issue of such camps as ASAP. If such camps exist, and actually they do, what is their purpose? if the purpose is to "help" the troubled teens, they fail miserably or at least the movie says so. coming to the movie, it was a good film with a lot of potential. maybe better actors may have been able to pull it off much better but nevertheless the movie doesn't disappoint you. my suggestion to those who have not watched this movie is to watch it before forming an opinion over it. believe me its not that bad as some comments here suggest.

Disturbed

Author: tjsmommy911 from United States
18 August 2011

I rated this movie a 6 due to the content. I truly believe this movie should have been made, and I commend the ones who did. It truly broke my heart, seeing as though it's a true story, making it all the more disturbing. I hope that people that are considering sending their child/teen to a place such as this one. I think all the actors did a pretty good job portraying the characters that the movie is about. I just can't believe that this movie is around 3 years old and I haven't heard of it. It's kind of bothersome to me because this movie truly needs recognition, it needs to be out there for more people to see. Parents and guardians really need to do their homework on these type of places before sending ANYONE they truly care about! Thanks for the movie, I really hope people heed the warning the comes from this film!

worth watching

Author: tofusquares from United States
31 May 2011

Within the first ten seconds, the movie introduction says, "There are over 200 hundred Boot Camps..." -_- Other than that, this movie was pretty amazing.

I felt captivated from the first scene, and only became more intrigued as the story line progressed. There were some satisfyingly, unexpected turnouts, and I loved that. However, the ending...I didn't buy it.

Overall, the plot made me think, and I could really feel for the characters. It's shocking to see that camps like this exist, but I feel that this film has definitely raised awareness.

Definitely worth watching. Plus, Mila Kunis is a beautiful woman to watch =)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]