IMDb > Made of Honor (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Made of Honor?

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
30 June 2013

This movie follows a well known formula: a guy and girl are friends, she meets someone to marry, he realizes that he loves her and tries to get her back.

A lot of movies in this genre uses such formulas. What can make them good movies are original elements added to it that make those movies more unique.

Made of Honor just seems to follow formulas and fail with anything else. It seems that whoever was writing for it was being very lazy. There is already the title, wth is Made of Honor? Is made somehow a male equivalent of maid? No. So is Tom "made of honor"? How is that, the guy wants to ruin a wedding in sneaky ways, this has nothing to do with honor. I really don't expect characters in such movies to behave honorably of course, but the whole world play is useless.

And I really fail to see why Hannah fell that strongly for Colin. Not that he is bad looking or a bad guy,but apparently they were so different that it makes it hard for me to get why she was so madly in love that she agreed to get married pretty much right away.

Just as confusing are the reasons for why she didn't want to be with him. So he hunts? I understand that not everyone would date a hunter, I personally wouldn't. But what did she think was on her plate before she found out that Colin killed it? A cauliflower? It just makes no sense for me, if I HAD to eat meat I would rather choose the deer that lived in the wild and was killed by a hunter than a cow that lived a tortured life in a factory farm and had her throat sliced in a slaughter house. Some will hate my review for that comment, but I just had to point out how this part of the movie made absolutely no sense to someone who cares for animals as the main character was supposed to.

And what the hell is it about Tom getting on a horse to get to the wedding faster? Are horses really that much faster than cars? And while we are rooting for Tom and Hannah to get together as we are used to in such movies (while we also know that they definitely will), it is hard to be very happy for them at the wedding, because Colin really has done nothing for us to hate him and be happy that his wedding got ruined in such a cruel way.

I also have trouble understanding the reason for the character played by Kevin Sussman, the weird looking basketball guy. Comedy doesn't have to always be kind. Like I didn't worry much about the fat friend on a diet jokes, but this is because her friends really did like her and she ended up getting into her size 8 dress at the end. The basketball guy was just treated badly for no reason, which makes no sense after high school, got nothing positive and was completely useless to the story.

What is good about this movie and in a way saves it are the beautiful scenery, acting skills of the actors and their great chemistry. The kiss of Hannah and Tom during that bar hopping night was absolutely wonderful. Definitely one of the best kisses in romantic comedies. This definitely is a little pearl (or glow in the dark thunder bead?) of this movie. So I will give it a 6/10. Because even though there was so much wrong with it, I still didn't hate it thanks to the actors and some funny jokes.

The Same Old Story

Author: Desertman84 from United States
17 September 2012

Made of Honor is a romantic comedy film that stars Patrick Dempsey and Michelle Monaghan together with Kevin McKidd,Kathleen Quinlan and Sydney Pollack in his last film role.The story was about a handsome and successful bachelor is taken aback when his dream girl asks him to be the "maid" of honor in her upcoming wedding. The screenplay was written by Adam Sztykiel,Deborah Kaplan and Harry Elfont.It was directed by Paul Weiland.

Tom and Hannah have been best friends for years. Though all the hard times, Hannah has been the one constant in Tom's life, and the one person he knows he can always rely on. When Hannah leaves for a six-week business trip in Scotland, Tom is surprised to realize how truly lonely he is without her. Life just isn't the same without Hannah around, so the moment she returns, Tom resolves to ask for her hand in marriage. But apparently Hannah's trip wasn't all business, because upon returning home Hannah announces that she has gotten engaged to a dashing Scotsman and will soon be starting a new life overseas. She's convinced that Tom will be thrilled for her, and wants him to play a crucial role in the wedding. His spirits crushed but his love for Hannah stronger than ever before, Tom reluctantly agrees to be the "maid" of honor so that he can prove his love in no uncertain terms and convince her to call off the wedding before true happiness slips through his fingers.

Too bad that there is nothing original about Made of Honor.It is something that we have already seen many times in a romantic comedy that it has become a very tired and familiar love story.It has a plot that's recycled, inane, and unbelievable.And lastly,a preposterously lazy finale.What's worse,the good performances of the leads - Dempsey and Monaghan can't save this forgettable and formulaic film from its comic failings.

Could not be any worse ever

Author: mleighs-88269
19 August 2015

I remember having watched this movie when it was released... I just didn't remember that I hated it till today when I re-watched it. There was nothing redeemable in this film whatsoever. Storyline - predictable at best, cast-forced chemistry if even, has the film-maker ever been to Scotland? I mean seriously? I read one review or message board thread about the movie being 'offensive to Scotland' and to that I can only say; in order for you to offend me I have to first care what you think....... there was no way this movie was taken seriously as a representation of Scotland and in that way cannot be offensive-let it be a comedy of stupidity on the part of the creators and we'll all laugh AT them not WITH them. And Patrick Dempsey is excellent at playing the a$$hole, he nails it- nothing is ever his fault,it's all about him, make sure he gets what he wants all the time-he plays it so well it's hard to ever look at him without feeling disgusted, like he must be like that in real life and be so self-absorbed he doesn't even realize what an dick he is....... I refuse to believe that is true OMG..... I just finished watching this and feel like I'm about to barf. So incredibly stupid and if I wasn't convalescing I would never have bothered...

HATE, yes, I'm using the word HATE about this movie...... HATE very strongly......

Disturbingly pathetic movie

Author: SpiltPersonality from Australia
14 August 2015

There are vague spoilers in this diatribe, so don't read it unless you don't want to see it, and heaven knows I hope you don't want to see it.

This is one of the most pathetic movies I have ever seen. The reason I watched it was firstly to see if it played out the way I knew it would, and secondly because it was free-to-air and I was sick as a dog and couldn't be bothered moving off the couch.

The movie is called 'Made of Honor'. The only clever thing about the abomination is the title, which plays on the traditional 'maid' of honour and a person who is 'made' of honour. The titular Tom (played by the otherwise rather forgettable Patrick Dempsey) is anything but honourable. Indeed, the only main character in this mess who maintains any honour is Colin who is left at the alter.

This is supposed to be a romantic comedy. I didn't laugh once. I didn't cry once. The only time I cheered was when Colin punches Tom out in the church.

The thing that frustrates me with this movie is that there are people (6.4% of the voting public) who think this is a 10! I honestly cannot understand how anybody can see anything redeeming about this movie. Sure, perhaps not loathe it as much as me, but to count it a 10? Well, the world is made of infinite wonder I suppose.

Save your I.Q. points. Go watch something else. Grass growing perhaps.

Highly Insulting

Author: laine115 from United Kingdom
22 January 2012

OK, so I can't totally rubbish this film, it had its sweet and funny moments. However, as a Scot, I actually found the Scottish references and the depictions of Scottish life really quite stereotypical and really do hope that this isn't how we are viewed but the rest of the movie-going world.

Whereas, as a nation we are steeped in culture and the location used is, what I can only guess, in the Highlands, may I point out the we Scots are just as developed as those who live in America, France, Canada and the likes. Our cities are thriving metropolises and we are certainly not backwater as this film suggests. We don't all wear kilts and drink whiskey; I have never heard of a Highland Games being a tradition for a groom deserving his bride and I feel that the way we have been portrayed as a nation is horrible.

Anyway, rant over.

undisguised

Author: RResende from Porto, Portugal
26 October 2010

These films are all about its own formula. Date movies, or romantic comedies, however you want to call them.

I never really searched for the origin of the formula as it's been presented to us for the last, at least, 20 years. Its roots come certainly way before that, and probably you can find elsewhere when this started. This trend i'm talking about makes things happen linearly and it goes like: boy and girl meet. they fall in love, they are happy. Something happens and they are separated and broken; some misunderstanding, some falling out. In the end they meet, after almost loosing each other forever, and reaffirm their love, almost always in a public venue (stadium, crowded street, church...). This is the basic skeleton, and from it, usually the producers try to pretend to change somethings, so they can say they are doing something new, while delivering exactly what has been done thousands of times before and which is in most cases, what most people want.

In recent years, we had a few number of films which, although obeying more or less to the formula, playing really interesting games on it (Love Actually and Across the Universe come to mind). This was great, because we started having a small platform for experimentation built around such a square genre, where audiences wouldn't admit many surprises. So, what chocks in this film, is not that it is fully formulaic, but that it doesn't even try to disguise it. It's not the skeleton of date movies filled with some invented flesh; it IS the skeleton, plain simple, like if it was a kind of educational video shown in "date films school" to teach students the rudiments of the job.

There is one single deviation to the scheme, which could actually be very interesting: the boy and girl do Not fall in love until the very end. Although we know from the beginning that they are meant to be, they don't, they live their love as a pure friendship until she finds a lover (how she meets him is so ridiculous that they don't even show the scene). This could really be nice and sweet, but the period of time since they meet until she gets engaged is compressed to some 10 minutes of film.

They make fun of scots. Heavily. it's usually a national sport for formerly colonies to make fun of their major colonizers. Oddly enough, although the English do get mocked by the Americans, it's the irish, the scots and the french(!) that get the more aggressive bits of mockery. that's strange. i suppose the English did their mind washing work well enough.

My opinion: 1/5

Deserves its low rating, but is also a fairly enjoyable rom-com.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
26 October 2008

Just in case a friend of mine reads this, I was forced by 3 women to watch this movie last night on "home from college pizza night." Thanks, Natalie!! :^)

Seriously, the two leads are enjoyable to watch, even though the guys represented in this story are the worst kind of callous, one-night-stand guys who don't value real relationships.

Patrick Dempsey is one of those, 'Tom' Bailey, who schedules his series of one-night-stands. In college in 1998 he met cute Michelle Monaghan as Hannah, and now ten years later they are best friends,

But when Hannah has to go away to Scotland on a 6-week assignment, Tom finds out how much he misses her. During that time he decides he really doesn't want her out of his life, he changes his attitude, and wants to marry her.

A guilty pleasure here is Sydney Pollack as Tom's dad,Thomas Bailey Sr. , who is getting ready for his 6th marriage. He takes them as sport, in a sense figuring that these marriages to younger women will break up soon, so most of his "preparation" is fine-tuning the pre-nup!

SPOILERS: When Hannah returns, Tom is ready to propose, but she has brought along a Scotsman who she fell in love with and is planning to marry. So the rest of the movie has the two of them working out how they will be together.

Cute Movie But Weak in Several Areas

Author: Unlimitedmovies from New Orleans, Louisiana
8 May 2008

I am a 51 year old woman. I saw "Made Of Honor" this evening and gave it a six rating. It was a cute romantic comedy with some tender scenes in it at times. That being said I have to mention that the actors "overacted" the scenes. There was too much exaggerated dialogue and acting which made the movie seem silly. I have to agree with another comment...the male friends of the main character all seemed to have the same personality and say the same things...not enough character development there. The young woman who played the bridesmaid who didn't like the MOH really overplayed her part to the point of not being believable. The grandmother with the glow in the dark "thunder balls"; what a silly, stupid thing to add to the script and then to use the same scene several times...I didn't care for this part and it ruined the movie to be seen by younger audiences. The family of the Scottish groom...way overplayed. I think the editing was poor on this film and the director should have had the actors tone down their acting a bit and it would have gotten more laughs. This is a good date movie or a movie for married couples to go see, but overall I would wait for it to come out on DVD and rent it. Forgot to add: I can't believe I am typing this but the worse scenes had Sydney Pollack in them....he is a wonderful actor/director...had nothing to do with his acting. The dialogue in his scenes was very poor. How many times can Sydney say "Pu__y"? and how about the phone calls before wedding number 6 negotiating the prenup which included marital sex? Weak, silly dialogue. Sydney I love your acting but pick a better script next time!

A long line of Athels…Made of Honor

Author: jaredmobarak from buffalo, ny, usa
30 April 2008

The most I can ask for when sitting down to watch a romantic comedy as obvious and clichéd as Made of Honor is to be entertained. After the credits rolled, I must admit, I thought to myself that I wouldn't mind checking it out again in the future if the opportunity presented itself. The leads are very likable, the quirky side roles are a lot of fun, and the antics, while sometimes dry, deliver the goods, creating a tale of love that ends up being a quite sweet. Has cute become a pejorative of late—more belittling than complimentary? I don't know. However, if I were asked to describe this story of best friends caught in a love triangle when the one waiting finds another just as the second discovers his true feelings for her, I'd say it was cute.

The story is so generic that one must shudder at the possibility for utter failure, boredom, and want of your hard earned cash back from the person who dragged you out to see this drivel. If anyone thinks that maybe these two won't get together at the end, you are living in one freaky world or off your medication. No one goes to see a romance of this ilk to be intellectually stimulated or surprised by some profound insight on love and heartbreak. We as an audience go to lap up the sentimentality to feel warm and fuzzy as true love works out before our eyes, hoping that we may too find that glorious state of bliss. Just the character of Colin McMurray shows this fact to full capacity. This Scottish gentleman is the epitome of a dream: handsome, strong, sensitive, loving, royalty, and a European accent…who could resist? As our lead female says, he is the perfect man, and that is exactly what we need pitted against our hero, Tom, a lothario with no scruples when it comes to women except for the one he doesn't let become intimate with him. If we are going to see someone overcome the odds to be with the one he truly loves, it is only right to have Mount Everest stand between them.

I will admit that the preposterous idea of a man being someone's maid of honor is just crazy enough to work. The situations that it allows are perfectly suited to the filmmakers' needs. By being thrust into a feminine role, our lead must accept his feelings and become a better man all while those on the periphery absolutely think he must be gay. It is ripe for comedy and brings some nice laughs to carry us through to the wedding at the end. The idea of that wedding also allows for two groups of friends to exist in creating both hijinks and moments of clarity. With the wedding party on one hand—consisting of three women who wish they were the maid of honor—and the boys on the other—supplementing their weekly pick-up basketball games with putting together party favors for the wedding shower—we are given the viewpoints of those jealous of the bride's luck at finding a rich man overseas and the men trying to help their friend "steal the bride." All the jabs by Tom's friends are funny because the whole ordeal is just absurd. They do gather around him, though, to help his cause and all use their experiences with women to add insight into his. It was nice to see Kadeem Hardison make a return to the industry after a hiatus into obscurity following "A Different World." Adding to Hardison, the rest of the cast is very good. The role of the Scot is wonderfully played by Kevin McKidd; great as the new guy to America, his ability to be cool without trying is a great foil to Tom's trying so hard to be cooler. McKidd's sheer glee at finding out he can dunk the basketball without recourse of being a cheater is fantastic as he goes from chump to champ. He does everything so easily and unassumingly, one can't help but love the guy while also being so jealous you wish he were dead. Rounding out the supporting cast are two stalwarts of the industry, Sydney Pollack and Kathleen Quinlan. At first glimpse I shook my head that they would accept such thankless roles in a somewhat thankless film, however, they both come out nicely. As parents, they serve as a mirror to their respective child, whether it shedding light on where they should be or where they should not, both do their job well.

It is all about the stars in the end, though. The chemistry between Patrick Dempsey and Michelle Monaghan is noticeable, especially in an early scene at his father's wedding. The moment of full emotion while dancing is so real that it is made more tragic by his flippant disregard of her once the woman he was avoiding had left. Besides the opening sequence, (10 years previous to the bulk of the film), where it's just kind of funny looking at them as college students, they never make a misstep, nor should they since the script won't necessarily allow them to as it has a mission and they are unable to stray. You can tell in many instances that the two are having fun, (the juggling scene comes to mind), and you really do pull for them to finally come together. Dempsey is slowly becoming the go-to-guy for romantic leads on the uphill climb for their true love, and after this and Enchanted, I have to say that he may deserve the opportunity to resurrect his film career, because thus far he is pulling it off.

Ripoff of a classic.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
23 August 2009

I much preferred this film when it was called My Best Friend's wedding. I saw Made of Honor before. But the damndest thing was that it wasn't called Made of Honor. Made of Honor is a ripoff of every chick flick. It's the worst chick flick because it's not funny at all and it's sad to watch. It's sad to watch all of these great actors and actresses waste there career in this awful film. To think that this was Sydney Pollack's last performance. Patrick Dempsey could've stood up to Hollywood and complain about how bad it was.

Made of Honor is just like My Best Friend's Wedding. But really retarded. From the very first scene to the last, Made of Honor is pure stupidity.

Made of Honor begins at a college in 1998. Tom(Patrick Dempsey) is walking to his girlfriend's dorm. It's Halloween. Anyways, he lays down in his girlfriend's bed. Instead of his girlfriend being in the bed, it's Hannah(Michelle Monaghan). She maces him in the eyes. Ten years later, Hannah and Tom are living in New York and are best friends.

Whenever Hannah travels to Scotland on a business trip, he feels lonely. I forgot to mention that Tom is a big player. Anyways, while Hannah is in Scotland, Tom realizes that he loves her. So when she gets back, he's going to tell her. When she gets back, she's with a Scottish Duke. They're engaged. Hannah offers Tom to be her Maid of Honor. How gay. And everyone that meets him thinks so also. Tom only excepts so then he can get closer to her. And get in her pants. Perhaps he's not that sexual, but he'd like to be.

If she were Jessica Alba i'd do it. Or Olga Kurylenko. I like Michelle Monaghan don't get me wrong. But she isn't as hot as Jessica Alba or Olga Kurylenko. Patrick Dempsey chose the wrong film to be in. I think he accidentally signed on for this. I think Michelle Monaghan is the only good thing about this crap. I like Patrick Dempsey, but he's pretty stupid in this film. Giving this a one is too kind. But watching these people waste their talents is sick. The writer of this nightmare must've been drunk when wrote this junk. Watching Patrick Dempsey dance and do stuff retarded just proves that is career is not made of honor. Sorry.

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]