IMDb > Made of Honor (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Better off Renting My Best Friend's Wedding and 27 Dresses

Author: Jenn Brown from Austin, TX
4 May 2008

Judd Apatow would have done a better job with random "male" comedy moments. You can tell that two men had writing credits on this one; I have to wonder about the age and experience of the woman listed with them.

If you want a good rom-com, check out My Best Friend's Wedding and 27 Dresses. Both have better stories and do a better job with the stories and portraying both sexes as three dimensional characters, instead of caricatures.

There are a lot of distracting "comedic moments in Made of Honor, from an unnecessary character there strictly for comic relief to a bad running joke about a heavy bridesmaid.

I will say, the highlight for me was hearing Kevin McKidd drop a line about werewolf movies. I doubt anyone else will get the reference.

Turd Warning

Author: Mark-williams3233 from United Kingdom
6 December 2008

This film is utter pants. Even if you like Romantic comedies and think you can survive the cheese-fest, this film will test your patience to see it through to the end. It is totally predictable, not even funny, and the cringe-worthiness increases as it progresses.

The overall concept is utterly ridiculous. I don't care how in Love you are, you're not going to be someone's Made of Honor if your a bloke unless you already spend your days as a cross-dresser, and even then it would push the challenge of ridicule.

If you're wondering why I watched it, or at least an hour of it, I was on an XL Airways flight and my MP3 player ran out of power. (Honest gov!)

Un-Needed Sophomoric Sexual Humor

Author: brother-dave from United States
30 May 2008

Just an OK movie. Plot is decent; acting and directing were average. The use of crude sexual jokes throughout the movie takes it down several notches. It's as if they made the movie and then went back and added sophomoric crudeness to be "hip" with the younger crowd. That was a stupid decision, plain and simple. Unsure if the writers thought it'd make it funnier or if the bone-head director wanted to connect with 16 year-old boys. whatever it was, here's a lesson for all students of film; create a movie on the strength of plot and characters, mix in solid directing and editing and you've got a potential winner. When you lack these... add a couple "blow-job" jokes and you'll have teenagers renting the DVD allowing you to be considered for another film.

It's sad times for the movie-goer.

Where's the honour?

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 April 2011

I am not the biggest fan of romantic comedies/chick flicks, but there have been some I have genuinely enjoyed. Made of Honour, while I have seen much worse, is not one I enjoyed. It is worth noting for some striking production values and a beguiling soundtrack, other than that it is a miss.

My problems with this movie starts with the title, please, that pun of a title is appalling and even thinking about it makes me cringe. And I had exactly the same perception even before seeing the movie. Another major problem is that the characters are not sympathetic or likable in the slightest, the lead character especially is a complete sleaze-ball. Also the characters here are little more than cliché after cliché and bland stereotypes.

A lot of plots in romantic comedies are predictable, here is no exception. But this plot is also unrealistic and clichéd, and in terms of the pace and direction the film is a slog. I also disliked the ending, not only was it as predictable as the rest of story but it was also pure fantasy of the highest order.

The acting is not very good unfortunately, like I couldn't connect to any of the characters I don't think a vast majority of the actors could connect with them either. There is one good performance and that comes from Sydney Pollack, but Patrick Dempsey while dashing is too earnest for the lead and Michelle Monaghan comes across as rather limited. Hardly surprising, with the dialogue being as terrible as it was.

All in all, a daft, predictable and clichéd romantic comedy with a few good points. 3/10 Bethany Cox

Romantic comedy that is way worse than the trailer makes it out to be

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
19 February 2011

This is a very safe movie that has nothing challenging about it. Now for a romantic comedy it's sort of passable, but this movie just plain sucked. It's a romantic comedy without any comedy. If you thought the trailer to this was bad, the movie is way worse. Just about everything about it is way too predictable and will go exactly the way you think it will go, at least for those that seen some romantic comedies. Everything about this movie is so very generic, the only positive thing I can say about this movie is that it's bearable but that is about it. Almost nothing in this was even slightly original. None of the jokes were even remotely funny or enjoyable, and almost every aspect of this movie was just lame and ridiculous. This is a pretty crappy chick flick, not that I particularly like chick flicks but there are way better ones out there.

3.5/10

Despite being from a man's viewpoint, still the same old r/c hooey

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
27 November 2010

Tom (Patrick Dempsey) is a commitment-phobic, marriage-avoiding playboy who spends most of his waking hours tomcatting around Manhattan (what a novel concept for a romantic comedy). Only Hannah (Michelle Monaghan), his "best friend" of ten years, has the strength of character to call him on his shallowness - even though anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of romantic comedy knows full well that the two of them are just made for each other (apparently, the only people in these situations stupid enough not to realize this universal truth are the couples themselves). But just as Tom decides he's in love with Hannah and is willing to make a lifelong commitment to her, the latter turns up engaged to a kilt-wearing dreamboat ("Rome"'s Kevin McKidd) she met in Scotland. Unaware of how Tom feels about her, Hannah asks him to be her "maid of honor" at the wedding, a role he reluctantly accepts, believing that this will place him in the perfect strategic position to sabotage the nuptials.

As with virtually all romantic comedies these days, "Made of Honor" takes place in a squeaky-clean, never-never land version of New York City, where everyone attends swanky functions, dines at five-star restaurants, and drinks café mocha lattes, with nary a hint as to what any of these fantastically well-off characters do to earn all their money. And, of course, almost everyone we meet is white (with a token African-American or two, as always, thrown in for good measure).

The late Sydney Pollack plays Tom's oft-married father, whose penchant for running through women at an alarming rate shows that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in that family. And, of course, Tom is surrounded by the obligatory coterie of jock friends who discuss women, commitment and sex with all the depth and maturity of a bunch of junior-high school students feeling their first stirrings of puberty. Yet, isn't it funny watching all these macho guys fixing gift baskets and discussing wedding plans? No, not really.

It's safe to say that there's not a single moment in "Made of Honor" that doesn't feel utterly manufactured and desperately contrived. Add to that an annoyingly cutesy musical score, embarrassment-evoking slapstick routines - including the desperate Tom arriving late to the wedding astride a borrowed horse, no less! - gag-inducing sentimentality, and the kind of ending we thought "The Graduate" had so brilliantly put an end to forty-some-odd years ago.

Thus, despite the story's being told from a man's viewpoint for a change, at the end of the day, it's still the same old romantic comedy hooey we've been subjected to from time immemorial.

Made of no honor

Author: cabazu from Finland
26 July 2010

My biggest problem with this movie was that I find Patrick Dempsey incredibly unattractive unlike most people who go see the film. I actually started thinking about it during the movie and wondered why. I should find him attractive, he's handsome and dark and funny, but no. And then it hit me – his voice! His voice is the most unsexy noise I've heard all year.

Not only is his voice intolerable, but the character he plays in Made of Honor is just whiny and sleazy who somehow manages to get these ridiculously gorgeous supermodel look-alikes throw themselves at him. He's just so hot that some poor ugly fat girl even made a website about him. The reason why the movie tries to convince us this way that Tom is a catch is because there's absolutely no romantic chemistry between him and Hannah, and no reason for her to ever fall for him. He seems like her gay friend who talks a lot and likes cupcakes. Not only that but he takes her for granted and only talks about his own love interests when with her.

Why is she not already with him is what the movie tries to make us realize, except it only succeeds in making me overwhelmingly happy for Hanna when she finally meets Colin. (Kevin McKidd) And this is why the movie fails, because in the end I'm cheering for Colin and really wish that Tom would just end up adopting the dog he keeps scratching and living the rest of his life with him, instead of ruining Hanna's life. Oh and when Hanna and Tom finally end up in bed together it is so painfully awkward and forced I would have actually rather watched Bill and Monica at it.

please show us something new

Author: ajackaln from Islamic Republic of Iran
9 May 2010

I gave this movie 6 out of 10 because even though it was not great but did not make me turn it off , like many other Romantic comedies usually do! unfortunately the romance is becoming more and more corny in Hollywood.

If you are a girl in your sweet sixteen years and dream of a man like Patrick Dempsey , you'd love this movie. you can see him taking his shirt off several times in this movie and I guess to producers that was more important rather than the corny and weak story of a Casanova New Yorker falling for his best friend and after lots of boring twists tell her I love you and then turn down a Scottish with the money for the Casanova New Yorker! I understand it's just a movie but please show us something new ! we're bored with one or two attractive actors and actresses needling each other around for 90 minutes and kiss in the last 5 minutes and happily ever after !

Predictable and Clichéd, but in the end I quite liked it.

Author: callanvass
19 February 2010

Made of Honor is a movie that's far from original, and very predictable, but in the end I quite enjoyed it. Patrick Dempsey and Michelle Monaghan had excellent chemistry together, and the movie had many silly laughs as well. The message of this movie is very nice, but the movie failed to mention something. Yes a lot of times, male and female best friends who have feelings for each other, end up as soul mates, but a lot of the time it turns out to be a complete misfire, as I have learned that out the hard way. But the writers did an excellent job of making us believe, they were meant to be together, you kinda get that hint from the start of the movie. My favorite moment in the movie had to be the Scottish contest, and in the end they have a contest to see who can throw this big thing of wood, the farthest, and Tom ends up nailing a car with it. It was harmless, and to be honest that's what I liked about it, it was constantly entertaining, and in the end I had a fun time watching it.

Performances. Patrick Dempsey is very charming, and believable as Tom. He is a lot of the reason, this movie was as entertaining as it was. He's sleazy, but likably sleazy, and we know he has a good heart. Michelle Monaghan is totally cute, and was very good as the love interest. She's not annoying like many in these types of films, and i could relate to her. Kevin McKidd is OK as the English boyfriend. I didn't find him particularly interesting, though the basketball scene he was in, was a hoot. Busy Philipps does well as Melissa.

Bottom line Made of Honor is a simple, yet entertaining romantic comedy. That's all I really asked for, and to be honest? I didn't expect much, so I got more then I bargained for. Worth a watch

Made of Honor is Made Up of the Usual **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
21 March 2009

Fair film with Patrick Dempsey becoming an ever-more screen Lothario, this time with Michelle Monaghan as his co-star.

Dempsey plays a bed-hopping Manhattan guy who misses a chance to wed his true love when she meets a perfect Scotish gentleman while in Scotland.

The film deals how Dempsey plans to get her back. He is made the maid of honor for her wedding which of course by itself is absolutely ridiculous. He really has no clear cut plan to woo her back, so the action, as is with the case with a lot of these movies, shall always take place at the wedding scene, when changes are made. This is courtesy of the 1967 hit "The Graduate."

This is really routine fanfare with the undercurrent that Dempsey is gay despite his escapades.

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]