IMDb > 6 Month Rule (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

6 Month Rule More at IMDbPro »

I liked it

Author: adi-cat from Romania
18 May 2013

I wasn't sure whether the other 4 reviews were fake or not but decided to give it a try anyway as I like the genre.

And I'm glad I did it; this was pretty cool and well acted.

Despite the low budget, this doesn't show and the characters felt genuine and at ease, even though they're not blockbuster stars. Also they are given enough screen time so that you can actually start to care for them.

I liked the guy who played Ty (he seems pretty natural on screen) and the girl which played Sophie was a very pleasant surprise as well.

The fact that it doesn't feel contrived or cheesy at any point, it doesn't try too hard and yet somehow it touches some chords inside, made it work for me.

All in all, it left me with a pleasant feeling, even though you don't get the standard happy ending fare in this one.

Enjoyable.

Author: Syn Vox
14 August 2012

I am surprised the movie has such low ratings. It is a flawed film, but certainly better than a number of works I've seen with five or six stars.

The trailer gives you the gist. What drags the film down a bit is how it beats the audience over the head with the fact that the guy has a bunch of rules about dating. Another weakness was how quickly the sassy girl figures him out (and why not any other girl?) and how he seems to have never met another girl like her before (they are in LA?).

These are minor flaws. Tyler is a deeply self-centered man who is unaccustomed to showing weakness. He also clearly loves his friend and genuinely enjoys Sophie. The three play their parts well, and the writing lets their relationships come through to the audience over the course of the movie. The rock-star boyfriend and Foley as the art gallery owner were small parts that were entertaining and well acted in spite of their limited screen time.

I know men who are the main character. It was well written. The ending was satisfying and it didn't feel gimmicky at all (especially given the early scene between the two friends at the beginning of the movie). Overall it had balance and was an enjoyable watch. It wasn't art house cinema or a thinking man's romance, but it was far from most of the romance drivel on screen.

Enjoyable film

Author: katemsingleton83 from Nashville, TN
18 May 2012

I should first say that I am not a movie buff or film critic but that I simply really enjoyed watching this film.

I saw this film at the Nashville Film Festival in the Spring of 2012 with no expectations going into it. I was pleasantly surprised by the writing and the feeling I got from the characters as I went through the emotions with them from beginning to end.

It's like a romantic comedy but with a little darkness to it that makes it feel more real that your typical Jennifer Aniston flick. The characters have their flaws and their quirks. You don't find yourself picking sides because everyone seems to be screwing up at one point or another which is what makes it feel so real. The plot is not cookie cutter. You don't know who will end up with who or if there is a "happy" ending because the writing doesn't lead you in an obvious path. It's so very refreshing in that regard!

There is a montage in the middle of the film where the two lead characters are spending a weekend of time together over the course of about 3-4 minutes of film and it's gorgeously filmed and so natural. I was really impressed in that moment by the actors themselves.

Also, there are no throw away characters in this cast. Everyone that was written into this script was done so for a reason, which is also refreshing.

This film was very well received at the Nashville Film Festival and there was a lot of buzz around about it after it screened. Do yourself a favor and go see it!

Ending?

Author: thomgar from United States
25 May 2013

*Spoilers - stop reading if you don't want to know the ending*

Call me crazy but I like a happy ending even if it is a cliché, especially when I am invested in the players. The acting was handled well enough to get really invested in the characters, so the ending left me badly unfulfilled. I can see that some may like the movie greatly just for that reason, however I wanted the guy to get the girl in the end and the happily ever after would have been great.

Can definitely see why the film has such a low rating. When I was finished watching it, I kept waiting for another scene during or after the credits to see if it was going to end better. When the credits stopped rolling and the film ended I was actually a bit sad/disappointed/aggravated. It's a shame, because otherwise the movie seemed to be well done. I can certainly understand people like what they like, want to be entertained, and look for escape with that entertainment. If the ending was better, this would get a 7-8 from me. As it stands, in my opinion mind you, it is a 3 and I will certainly not watch it again.

SPOILERS! DO NOT read if you don't want to know the ending.

Author: dbh850 from United States
22 January 2014

I enjoyed watching this unfold. I liked the actors very much - I liked the character development and wasn't the least bit bored. And I often find romantic stories boring.

I enjoy a story wherein a person gains insight - where someone is personally challenged by his/her own flaws and struggles with those challenges. I like stories where "self" becomes the biggest obstacle. That's how it is for all of us. That is a story we all relate to.

BUT I hated the ending. If I'm invested in the characters, I want to see everyone happy in the ending. Yes, I know that's not real life. I know every story does not have a happy ending. I see enough pain in REAL life. I don't need depressing endings to enhance my film experience. I rely on movies to ENTERTAIN me... I want to feel HAPPY at the end of a film. So - I hated the ending of this film. Yes, I want the formula happy ending. I'm simple minded that way. Harumph.

Good movie, well worth viewing

Author: Greg from Australia
18 May 2013

Like some other reviewers, I am surprised at the low rating. We just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has a strong cast and the characters were well developed. There may have been a few plot points which didn't completely make sense, but certainly no more than other movies of the romantic comedy/drama genre.

Blayne Weaver wrote, directed and played the lead, and did all of those things pretty well. There were some particularly well written scenes. Martin Starr was excellent as his friend Alan, and the very beautiful Natalie Morales as the love interest was very good. Great to see Dave Foley in there (I love News Radio) and Patrick J Adams was fine as the "rock star".

The story line is not as predictable as similar movies, and is all the more believable as a result.

Good movie from a great cast and recommended.

A very pleasant surprise and... DON'T EVEN DARE TO LOOK AT THE RATING!

Author: forehater from Lithuania
21 January 2015

This movie is well worth watching. I hope people will ignore the low rating which is painfully unfair. The acting was really good for a low bud indie film and I liked the characters a lot. The movie showed what a real friendship between men looks like in the times of hardship with women and it was pretty honest, I'd say. The ending wasn't anything I expected and also was pleasantly surprised they didn't go that good old Hollywood love drama way. It made me smile, it almost made me cry and it definitely gave me something to think about since I'm currently trying very hard to get in a healthy and long lasting relationship. It's very hard and this movie truly depicts how easily you can screw everything up. Fear is the worst thing that can bestow upon you when trying to get somewhere with a person you like. I give this movie 9 out of 10 for being warm, honest and having a real life ending not some sort of Hollywood BS where everything magically sorts itself out.

Makes Sense

Author: Douglas Rue from United States
1 September 2012

I'm far from a film critic but I do know what's good and this movie was a very pleasant surprise. It made a lot of sense and the actors were perfect for the characters. I actually saw it tonight on pay per view and with little expectations, I really felt as if I got a surprise.

I would recommend this film to others (especially singles) since it touched on how so many of us waste so much time playing the field only to end up alone. I was disappointed at first with the ending but I guess, that ending is more realistic to real life. I'm honestly going to watch the film again but the next time, not alone. It really should be shared.

One piece of advice to the writer/director, good work should be shared. It's really a delightful movie, it makes a lot of sense from a guy's perspective and you should market the movie better. I actually tripped over it, not knowing it was there..I believe there are a few hundred thousand people that would like it as much as I did, if only they knew it was there..

A great metaphor: put your movie on the main table versus leaving it on the discount table..

Two thumbs up!!

Cheers..

A bachelor finds love that puts his set of rules to the test.

Author: Igor Shkolnik from USA
2 May 2013

I enjoyed the movie. The dialog was interesting and witty at times. The developed concepts are definitely from a "man's point of view" and often echo reality. There are some formulaic portions such as a love-triangle and elements of plot progression, but those are to be expected in a rom-com. The acting was good and I did emotionally relate to the main character. The ending albeit unexpected lends verisimilitude. Perhaps the poor rating seen here and on rotten-tomatoes is due to the unconventional ending. It's a relaxing movie that can spark engaging conversations, especially regarding the glimpse it offers into the mind of a typical guy.