IMDb > Chill (2007) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chill

Chill (V) More at IMDbPro »

Not really bad, just not good

Author: matches81 from Germany
10 November 2007

This film left me confused. The story's not bad in itself, reminded me a bit of Re-Animator, but that's not a bad thing at all. Also, the acting was better than I expected for most parts. Some of the characters behave really really odd though, especially the detective guy. That is THE most irrational cop (or character overall) I've ever seen in a film, and this time it's a bad thing. Most of the dialogs are pretty annoying, too: Most of the time you only see the face of one character filling the screen saying his line, then the next character filling the screen saying his line. It's surprising how rarely you actually see the two or more characters taking part in the dialog in one shot. That made the dialogs really stale and sometimes painful to watch. The overall editing wasn't too bad, with some exceptions where a cut left me totally clueless what's going on. I also got the feeling that some important things were left out. This movie's budget must have been incredibly small. The special FX that are used in the ending of the movie would have been a shame in the early 80s, now they're not even funny anymore. The rest of the effects (make-up effects) aren't bad. So the only scene where the effects are really awful is at the very end of the movie. One thing that was bad throughout the movie was the music: I mean, yeah, eerie is one quality music in a horror movie should have... sometimes. But the music should fit the movie, not just be eerie all the time, even when the "eerie" moment is long gone. The only exception here to eerie music is no music. Most sound effects sound out of place, too.

This comment probably sounds worse than the movie actually is. It's not that bad and if you've got nothing better to do and nothing else to watch you might watch this, but if you're not used to low budget films you might have a tough time watching it to the end.

bad actors and writers make really bad movie

Author: byronhere from United States
29 January 2009

I have one word to describe this film, "unwatchable". Within minutes it was obvious that I was in for some really bad acting which almost made the film out to be a comedy. And can anybody get away from that white van? I mean come on. Run through a yard or something. And I guess there is only one cop in the entire town. How about creepy doctor's decomposing sidekick. The guy can't even run and nobody seems to be able to out maneuver him. This move was inspirational in a way because now I feel like if movies like that are being released I could do just as bad if not better with a Polaroid camera and a sketch book. Do not under any circumstances watch this movie. Any good reviews are from paid employees or mental patients.

"Sam. I like you."

Author: stormofwar from United States
15 June 2009

I rented this out of boredom on a Sunday night, and I regret it. I love bad movies. I feel an affection for them akin to what one feels for a special education kid. They try, and fail a lot, but you appreciate the merits of the attempt and recognize it for what it is.

That being said, there is really one way to surmise this film is awful. I have survived viewing of BloodRayne and the un-MST3K'ed Manos: The Hands of Fate. I and my wife were riffing this ten minutes into the film.

The only redeeming feature in this is the story, which was unique compared the usual fare (Hollywood could take a lesson here in looking for source material). However, everything else just fell flat...face first on to the concrete.

The acting was bad, even for a B- film. The dialog was painful, the acting uninspired. I've seen more convincing effects in homemade animated films, and the editing looks like it was done by a six year old kid riddled with ADD.

Honestly, only the most hardcore of Lovecraft fans will appreciate this. I respect his work, but I think he was rolling over in his grave when they wrapped on this pickle.

Mediocre horror tale that has small hints of promise.

Author: Prolox from Canada
5 November 2008

After getting a job working at a small store, a struggling writer/former doctor discovers that his new boss, who must stay in cold places because of an extremely rare, almost unheard of skin condition, is actually a re-animated corpse who's former life 18 years prior was as a scientist who was working on a cure for his illness, that was taking his life away. When his dream of finding a cure for his condition kept failing him, he turned to the black arts & after killing his one assistant & brutally disfiguring his other assistant, turning him into a slave, has been responsible for a series of disappearances around town, since selling is soul to Satan his it's downside, since he needs to kill & find the perfect skin graph to return his life to normal again, the skin in question must be kept chained up in a freezer, coming from some very unwilling kidnapped & terrified donors. With the help of a would be girlfriend, the writer attempts to stop the manic, whom to his horror discovers that his new boss has bigger more frightening plans in store for him & there's more to the story than what he knows, a far more horrifying side that is...CHILL is an interesting themed, however ultimately bland & unfulfilled horror tale supposedly based on H.P. LOVECRAFT'S "COOL AIR" however sadly the works of H.P. is only vaguely seen here. The films look is ugly & bland, looking almost like a made for TV movie. Some of the acting is fine, but is burdened by half baked characters. The direction borders on good to mediocre & the film never really does become as interesting as it should have been, with only a neat twist ending that saved me from giving the film a star & a half rating. The characters in question are all uninteresting & all act weird for some reason, though whether it's the result of bad choices by the director & script writer or the misinterpretation by the actors is unknown. For your "CHILL" you're best to see something else.

** stars

Wasted Potential to do Lovecraft Right

Author: Eeryris from United Kingdom
12 March 2015

Sometimes you win, sometimes not.

I brought Chill because the premise sounded intriguing but sometimes the intrigue is better than the idea. The film fails because it's contemporary trying to mesh with old and it's neither, instead just dull.

Based on H. P. Lovecraft's short story entitled ''Cool Air'' it follows Sam, an aspiring writer who takes a job as a store clerk in a grocery market. Owned by the sinister Dr. Munoz who apparently has a rare skin condition forcing him to live in sub zero temperatures but as Sam discovers the truth is much darker and he's the next victim in his house of horrors. Can he make it out alive before it is too late? Why does the film not work?

Primarily because even though it is very low budget there is no heart to the characters nor story. The protagonist of the film, Sam, should be someone you care for or want to see do okay and in truth he's none of those things. He's the typical guy trying to uncover something, trying to look good and really there is no depth to him. They want to do so and even bring in a potential love interest to bolster the character, it doesn't work. Furthermore he carries the same monotone expression throughout Chill, so when he should be expressing some form of emotion it never really comes across.

Without wanting to see the guy survive how can the story have the rope it desperately needs? Many of the characters and actors fall under the weight of the film and the only exception to that rule is Dr. Munoz played wonderfully by Shaun Kurtz . Although he is suppose to be the bad guy he somehow blurs the line between good and evil. Despite the fact you should by all accounts hate him you can't. There is something distinctly likable about him and his strange mannerisms add to the charm and creepiness of Dr. Munoz.

I enjoy H. P. Lovecraft's work. I have read a lot of his stories and there's something claustrophobic yet beautiful about his writing. Somehow it never fully transcends onto the big screen and often fails on at least one account. The only film I have seen that actually worked was Re-Animator, beyond that there is not much else and this proves to fall into that crack.

If I could admire one consistent in Chill, it is the score. A few loving notes here, a shiver there, it embodies everything about the film and certainly the more darker moments that happen. That's where much of the praise really ends. The make up/ effects is an oddity. To begin with they are not too bad, the smaller job is done subtly and the effects especially of Dr. Munoz are amazing but somehow in the latter of the film it trips over itself.

Without giving too much away, so yes, some might consider the following a spoiler: there is a specific scene that involves a building being blown up to the high heavens and this is where I despair. Ultimately this film carries a similar problem to that of Hellbride.

If Chill had been done in the early stages of the 90's or perhaps late 80's I can forgive this but alongside the film I mentioned above , it is actually not that old, 2007 I believe. I find it hard to understand in an age where the internet is chock full of countless FREE software to design extravagant scenes and explosions, they couldn't find something better to work with. I know many programmes that can do wonders and they cost nothing except time and patience. I can only surmise this is why they did not bother hunting around. It is by far not the be all and end all of the film yet it's a major hole that didn't need to be. If you build up to an amazing climax and then cheapen it you will lose the intended audience. The twist at the end... even if you have not read the story you'll know by the finale where this is heading towards.

Any dramatic tension that should have been there is not and there are errors leading to it which will leave you puzzled and with many, many questions. I'll admit I am surprised this film won two accolades and feel that those who bestowed the honour were able to see what I cannot.

What I saw was a poorly produced, scare free and lacklustre film that has no bite. I don't mind if a film is slow. Honeymoon is an example of a horror film with the dramatic slow build up that does pay off, this on the other hand does nothing.

A long tiring slog to a sloppy conclusion I can say this is one worth missing however if you MUST watch it, drink plenty of coffee beforehand. You'll need the boost.

The Lovecraft Syndrome ... Again!

Author: Poe-17 from usa
26 September 2009

The works of Howard Phillip Lovecraft continue to thwart film makers. His tales, written in the early 1900's are, invariably, updated to present day and forced to mix with today's fads, trends and "movie absorbing mind set". For the most part, they don't work, like this shot at the trophy. Anything by good Ol' H.P. should be a period piece like Jackson's "King Kong"...unless you are extremely brilliant. The makers of "Chill", while sincere, failed to create the magic to move "Cool Air" (which this movie is based upon) from short-story written in 1926 to a contemporary story. No fault, no foul ... a near impossible thing to do. Lovecraft excruciatingly cultivated sinister and dark atmosphere with climactic punctuations of visual action, almost the opposite of current films that are visually heavy to create the deep and dark unease (something they seldom do because ... perhaps ... they are running a formula in reverse?) ... Dan O'Bannon nearly nailed it with "The Resurrected" from Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Unfortunately, this attempt to bring "Cool Air" to the screen is a lousy shot at a Lovecraft adaptation and can't stand on its own as a horror film. Kudos for the effort but ... way big miss.

It's Just Odd and Not Very Good

Author: Tilcia from United States
31 December 2008

I have to say as a huge horror buff - this was absolute gutter trash. I kept asking myself where is the gore, the blood, the fear/horror factor.

The main music reminded me of rave techno music and I felt I needed to be in a club with glowing objects in my mouth.

I will say SOME of the actors were good - like the guy off Melrose Place - Thomas Calabro and the gal from Hellraiser - Ashley Laurence. But overall, I would not go out of my way to recommend to someone to see this, unless they were looking for something silly and cheesy to watch. OR they really didn't like horror because they scared easily, this would be a recommendation to see - as there is nothing scary, nothing gory or horrific about it.

Um Ya what he said

Author: Tyofcore from United States
25 January 2008

I'm not a movie expert but I know when there's something to watch, and something to just pass by, and this movie here, after reading the comments peaked my interest, but once I got the movie playing it was a totally different thought. 5 minutes in, I had already made up my mind whether or not to continue watching this butcher of a movie, It was extremely late here where I live so I decided to give it a shot, but like I said above I could of let this one pass by, about 40 minutes into it, I couldn't watch anymore, sad display of effects, writing, and poor acting couldn't of made this any worse to watch, It was quite painful actually, I cant be disappointed to much considering I spent money to watch this, but I am disappointed that someone would say that this movie was worth watching. On my list of movies that I have watched this one ranks a 1 time watch, and no recommendation to any of my friends. This was 40 minutes I will never get back, so take it from me, when facing the chance to watch something else vs. this movie, then take something else.

It's a winner!

Author: dfrank92 from United States
26 April 2007

If you're into creepy horror flicks, then this film is certainly for you. I was very impressed with the production value; really top notch. The suspense and the acting are noteworthy. Ashley Laurence ("Hellraiser"), Thomas Calabro ("Melrose Place") and James Russo ("Donnie Brasco", "The Ninth Gate") all turn in stellar performances. It's really wonderful to see these actors in a fresh new vehicle as I have always been a big fan of their work. It was really awesome to see the original approach that was taken on an H.P. Lovecraft story, and to watch his brilliant characters such as Dr. Munoz and Mrs. Herrero come to life on screen -- with a few new twists and turns thrown in for good measure. Director Serge Rodnunsky is multi talented and cutting edge in his execution of this project.