IMDb > The Twenty (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Twenty More at IMDbPro »

First-rate acting in this unusual indie film

Author: facesandshadows from United States
12 May 2010

First-rate acting is at the center of this unusual indie film. Chopper Bernet, Lisa Darr, Clancy Brown, and Stephanie Niznik lead a strong cast in this story about a man who finds a frightening message scribbled on a twenty dollar bill and can't get it out of his mind. The film is complex, takes risks and requires some patience, and that's exactly what makes it good. Especially impressive is the relationship developed between the main character, played by Bernet, and his wife, played by Darr. It's nuanced and real, and explores uncomfortable issues rarely seen in films. Clancy Brown is great as usual. And another thing, the photography is incredible.

Twenty Review: Good stuff

Author: jeffreyporch from United States
12 May 2010

The film, The Twenty, might on the surface at first appear an ill-disguised alcoholic biopic, rife with the usual twelve step soul-cleansing triumphs over the curse and all that but, in fact, it's not. That's because it's a cinematic character study, and the obsessive search for good that can break the person looking for something ill-defined suffuses and darkens every scene.

While some deeper development of players might have helped and some scenes are slow, Chopper Bernet's gorgeously shot film and his telling, cinema verite camera style and long, crawling holds on shots conveys a felt and unsettling atmosphere. His talented actors - which includes Bernet in the lead role - render a palpable life of the damned as each person in this small town who the main character encounters struggles with regret or acts they can't undo.

In that regard, it's a realistic depiction of the hardening that can take over lives when it feels like someone should pay the karma, for us, maybe by our hand...but in real life you're lucky if you even get a shot at resolution, or one that clean. The reassuring thing might be that we are sometimes someone else's salvation, and to withdraw from that second chance is to court destruction all over again. Carty Fox of The Twenty, like a lot of us, has no idea where he's headed, and thankfully he doesn't spare us with bromides and fairy tales about how everything turns around when you stop the drinking or act better. Getting clear might just be enough. It's a messy little movie, uneven and raw. It should be.

A deep movie of rare proportions

Author: Terrence Dodge from Michigan, United States
7 July 2010

Sometimes the hardest things in life to face are the events from our past and yet they need our greatest attention, if we are to be free. "The Twenty" not only talks about being an alcoholic it also shows a very realistic sense of the confusion, fear and shame that many people face. It also shows that by facing your fears and shame, healing can occur. Many movies like to show the glitz and glamor of drinking, yet precious few deal with what it is really like to look in the mirror and see an alcoholic staring blankly back in the disheveled reflection. Chopper Bernet has done a masterful job at portraying the essence of Carty's character and the depths he must travel in attempting to learn one of life's valuable lessons.

How he get $500k to make this film?

Author: indiefan77 from United States
21 December 2009

I watched this film in Michigan this past March and I must say I was really looking forward to seeing this film based off the synopsis. I thought it sounded really cool and just couldn't wait to see the film.

That being said, I was very disappointed in it. The storyline ended up being pretty lame, the acting was decent, but b/c the story was so lame it didn't really matter. The film was long and boring I just couldn't wait for it to end.

I think Chopper Burnet is a pretty cool guy. He seemed to know a lot about the industry and I found him to be a very likable guy, however, this movie just left me scratching my head as to how he got this thing financed. I heard the budget was $500k.