IMDb > "Respectable" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Respectable" More at IMDbPro »

Very funny comedy show

Author: Michelle from United Kingdom
28 September 2006

We stumbled across this show by accident one evening, flicking across the channels before bed, and instantly loved it. It features a lonely, unhappily married man called Michael who visits Debonnaire, a brothel - not for sex but for the company and companionship of one of the girls, Hayley. He is very attracted to her, but is in denial about the fact that she is a prostitute, and likes to think of her more as a close friend who he can talk to.

The characters who work in Debonnaire are varied, and each one is hilarious in her own way. Maureen is the owner of the establishment, 60 if she's a day, and has catchphrases that would make your hair curl. She "takes her turn" along with the rest of the girls and wouldn't change her job for anything. Yelena is Serbian, and her direct man-hating attitude and sneering attitude to the other girls makes her one of the best characters for me. Kate is a student, working there to finance her way through her studies, and sees the job as a practical means to an end. Hayley is very naïve, and has a childlike personality but there is something very endearing about her and we can all see why Michael likes her so much.

If you haven't seen the show, I'd recommend you watch it - it's full of great lines and fantastic characters, and will have you laughing from start to finish (and for days afterwards as you remember parts again!)

A hidden gem

Author: sam-strawbridge84 from United Kingdom
29 November 2011

I remember watching this back in 2006 and was immediately hooked. It was a delightful little comedy, and Jodi Albert (Hailey) was the star of the show with here innocence and naivety. It featured a host of colourful and likable characters, with some revolting and funny one liners from Barry the builder and Maureen the Madam.

One thing I will say though is that the protagonist (Michael Price) seems to frequent the brothel about once a week and at £120 a pop, one must wonder where he gets the cash from as his wife is a hawk with his finances.

There is a beautiful blossoming romance brewing between Michael and Hailey, as they natter about their dreams and aspirations and in the last episode you understand just how much they care for each other. It was quite clever from the writers, as you actually begin to care what happens to them, much in the same way as Ricky Gervais did in The Office with Dawn and Tim.

I do feel that if this had been on BBC2 or Channel 4 then it would have received more coverage and therefore more ratings. To be honest it was one of the few Channel 5 programmes that I have enjoyed and when you consider some of the dire comedies that get churned out, it is a shame more episodes were not made.

If you can find this on DVD then buy and enjoy.

Witty and charming but in questionable taste

Author: Enoch Sneed from United Kingdom
4 July 2008

I know, I know: everybody's sense of humour is different and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I reckon that includes me, so here goes...

Yes, "Respectable" is charming. Hayley is a lovely girl any man could fall in love with and want to cherish. Michael is a decent guy who would never think of exploiting her just because of the work she does.

This is where I have a problem. The 'situation' in this sit-com is prostitution. 'Debonnaire' is a cosy little brothel in a leafy suburb, run by world-weary but motherly Maureen. All the girls are happy hookers, and all the clients are decent (although some have their little peculiarities).

The fact is of course that most women are driven into prostitution, by drug addiction, poverty, or whatever. More and more are being brought from other countries. Up to 18,000 females, including girls as young as 14, are working in brothels across Britain after being smuggled from all over the world. They are sold like cattle, beaten, raped, then made to serve up to 20 men a day (and *they* don't behave like Michael).

This is the truth of the world of "Respectable". You may say the show is a gentle fantasy, but I can't get that truth out of my mind while I am watching. What amazes me is that my wife loves the show, and she's not usually backward in defending womens' rights. As I said at the beginning, we're all different.

A wonderful little series

Author: the_piano_dude from United Kingdom
16 October 2007

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS (?) I stumbled upon this series completely by accident. I was looking through the comedy section in HMV and saw this on DVD. I'd never heard of it, but the idea of a sitcom set in a brothel sounded funny, so I took a chance and rented it. It was a wonderful surprise. A great combination of comedic styles - embarrassment comedy, dirty jokes etc. - but it all works well together. Thank God they didn't have a laughter track - that would have killed it completely.

I saw all 6 episodes in a row - it hooked me in that much. Unlike most sitcoms the relationships between the characters is the most interesting aspect. Michael and Haylie, though completely different types of character (both in terms of type and comedy style) and totally believable. Haylie is totally dippy and child-like but very endearing with it, and Michael takes the standard bumbling Englishman stereotype and fashions a character out of it. Their relationship together is incredibly rewarding and sweet.

Alongside 'Let Them Eat Cake', this is one of the best, underrated British sitcoms of the last 8 years - check it out. (By the way, there's next to no nudity, but I promise that won't affect your enjoyment guys, I promise!)

The Office in a brothel

Author: Chris Rattray from Launceston, Tasmania
6 November 2006

This show was introduced to me as "The Office... set in a brothel!", and while it's a somewhat accurate description, it is actually an entirely different animal underneath.

What we have here is simply a very tender love story between Michael, the disaffected and lonely middle-aged married man, whose marriage is staler than a six week old kebab in a student's flat, and Hayley, the coquettish prostitute with whom he maintains a "talking" relationship.

What could have been a smutty exercise in "phwoar, phwoar!" puns and unpleasant set-pieces, actually turns out to have enormous heart and warmth in a beautifully understated manner, without the saccharine fairy-tale moments of something like "Pretty Woman."

"Respectable" deserves full respect for being witty, charming and incredibly down-to-earth... with a happy ending.