IMDb > "The Kill Point" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Kill Point" More at IMDbPro »

Well written, well plotted show

Author: galendev-1 from United States
26 July 2007

I just finished watching the pilot myself. I couldn't help but think how well done this was.

"The Nine" had a similar premise, but it fell flat of expectations. "The Kill Point," by contrast, was tautly suspenseful, was laden with brilliantly crafted characters, and brought the sublime talents of Donnie Wahlberg and John Leguizamo to the forefront.

The writing made you actually feel for the characters, both "good" and "bad." Wahlberg and Leguizamo play off each other perfectly in a cat-and-mouse hostage game which, at least, kept me guessing as to how it was all going to play out.

Even the smaller details, like the cinematography and music, the colors used by the production designer, the little quirks of all the characters, make this story feel so real despite the implausibility of it all.

This is a show well worth watching, and I can't imagine not loving every moment of this truly intelligent miniseries. In the end, I wish more shows were done this well.

very cool show, gonna be a good miniseries!

Author: IceSkateUpHill from morris plains nj
22 July 2007

ironically this and the negotiator were on the same night, both written by the same writer and both kick ass, dialog between Donnie

and john is very cool sounding and enjoyable, also the action is pretty fun, kinda has a heat feel to it and point break but u really seem to get to know and understand the robbers and the police and feel for them i don't get the feeling of a generic back robber movie, maybe thats because this is a TV movie, and they can suck, but who knows they seem to have improved with TV (anyone catch burn notice THAT SHOW ROCKS) and action TV seems to be on a rise, thank god,so for good action and good characters watch this while its still on, for it is a limited series

The suspense is killing me!

Author: sicisneros from Texas, United States
8 August 2007

My husband and I really like this program. We cannot wait for each episode to find out what happens next. The writing is better than a lot of TV shows today, the acting is good, and the suspense level is high. As an English teacher, I love that Wahlberg's character cannot stand poor grammar. The fact that the lead bank robber, Leguizamo, is a bank robber with a heart and feelings reminds me that this is only a TV show and not reality. Although the bank robbers are former solders who served in Iraq, I am sure they will be dealt with on a terrorist-type level. There are enough twists and turns to keep my interest and make me want to tune-in every week. Boo to the nay sayers! Keep it going.

Amateur-hour!!!

Author: carltonbanks-1 from Sweden
24 May 2008

I had great hopes for this show. The idea, the plot and the action depicted in the teasers, all seemed great, but the show was a great disappointment!

....maybe not to all viewers, but anyone with ANY experience from military, security or law- enforcement will definitely be embarrassed to see this pathetic attempt at portraying soldiers and police.

The great lack of thoroughness in the production became evident in the first shoot-out outside the bank and continued through several embarrassing scenes throughout the season. I don't even know where to start! ...experienced soldiers and police shooting hundreds of bullets at close range without hitting anyone, SWAT-guys with all brand new equipment, who don't know how to move, hold a weapon, aim or fire. Even the female SWAT-commander has not been taught how to draw, hold or fire her glock. I could go on and on! ...and then there's the continuity-errors!

All in all: amateurish!!! I haven't seen so much bullshit action-acting since the so-called "special forces" in Die Hard 2!

Boring and Unlogical

Author: tomberlin55
30 December 2007

The Idea is great: War Veterans try to rob a bank and the think turns into a hostage situation. But after two or three interesting shows it turned dull. The bad starts with the hostages taking over the soldiers (5 civilian succeed in stealing trained soldiers there guns!!!) and then none of tehme has the guts to shoot! The second stupid scene is when the bad guys flee the bank into a subway tunnel, the police is in the tunnel within seconds, but they don't storm the (then empty) bank to check for the hostages, but leave the retreat free for the criminals! At the end the Sergeant wants to shoot himself, but gets executed by the negotiator, who actually wanted to save lives, stupid... What a waste of time it was to watch the show...

While it has its share of plot holes and flaws, the series is nonetheless entertaining and feels like an extended movie format more than simple television.

Author: dmfaust from United States
18 October 2007

By and large TV mini-series are horrible little things, plagued by low production values and actors that barely qualify as B-list. Occasionally you see a Stephen King story pop up that is told fairly well, but other than that the field is sparse with anything of decent quality. Because of this, the Kill Zone deserves special attention for what it is - an extremely well produced piece of television that falls more in line with a moderately low budget movie than the typical TV mini-series you run into.

The acting is top notch, Leguizamo and Wahlberg(who looks exactly like Bruce Willis circa 1990 oddly) deliver performances worthy of any film and the rest of the cast who are primarily unknowns(except for an appearance by Wahlberg's Saw 2 nemesis, Jigsaw himself, Tobin Bell) all fill their purpose more than adequately.

Unfortunately it does has its share of flaws, otherwise it wouldn't be stuck on a mediocre cable network as a mini series to begin with. Primarily there are a number of plot holes and quite a few issues of improbable occurrences(a massive fire fight between two heavily armed forces that results in the casualty of not one character central to the story for example), so basically the stuff you can typically lay at the foot of any action oriented movie, series, or other.

The basic story however is quite solid, and has multiple layers presented to keep it from just being some guys holding hostages in a bank for 8 hours straight. While some of these lines are never taken to their true potential(primarily Tobin Bell's involvement) in favor of keeping the focus on Leguizamo and Wahlberg's interaction, for the most part they serve their purpose.

All in all, you have to look at this series for what it is. A mini-series on Spike with a moderate budget at best. And for what it has going for it, it is damn good and a solid 8 hours of entertainment. And really, what more can we ask from our TVs? Not everything need be a masterpiece.

Promising Premise but terrible writing

Author: snafux7 from United States
27 December 2011

I recently watched the whole series (8 episiodes) on Netflix because I was home sick and needed something midless to watch. The Kill Point fit the bill nicely but I had hoped for much more after watching the opening episode. Basically it starts off pretty well, the opening sequence is well done and feels like a good bank heist action movie with an interesting premise (i.e. the bank robbers are all U.S. Marines). But after the first two episodes it rapidly deteriorates into crappy, lazy writing. There's not a single cliché or trope they don't find a way to work into the plot, its really pathetic to watch. Remember the chemistry between Dirty Harry Callahan and his Chief (the whole hard-ass vs. the cop who does things by his own rules theme)? OK well its been forty years and how many iterations have we seen of that since? How bout the scene where the Feds come in and say 'were taking control of this operation now', how many times have you seen that tired old scene played out? So many times that its become a joke. This is the kind of mess that the writing devolves into and it just gets worse as the series progresses. Probably the stupidest thing about the show is that we are expected to believe that these robbers are highly trained Iraqi-war vets from an elite unit who despite firing off 1000s of rounds throughout the course of the series are unable to kill anyone but are systematically taken out by the Pittsburgh SWAT team and a dumpy Donnie Wahlberg, the hostages are even able to disarm the robbers at one point, it just becomes impossible to suspend one's disbelief.

So bottom line is that if you need to kill an afternoon on the couch fighting a bad cold and need some brain-dead programming to watch then this should be just what the doctor ordered, otherwise you can do much better. The first episode or two I'd give a 7 or 8 out of 10, after that, its all 2's and 3's at best.

" I've Done all I can, Now you do The Honorable Thing "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
26 August 2007

I was channel surfacing one night and fell headlong into this film. The reason I stayed and checked it out was due to the explosive action and the quick developing drama. Pulling up a chair, I continued to watch as it looked interesting and the major character was someone I recognized immediately from other action movies. I eventually gleaned from the episode that a group of Iraq Era Ex-soldiers has assembled and planned to rob a bank. Their leader was known as Mr. Wolf (John Leguzamo) That immediately gave me reason to return for the next episode. The good guy of the movie was also a notable actor in his own right. The Captain of the S.W.A.T team and main negotiator was known as Cali Horst (Donnie Wahlberg). They along with several other notable actors made the series plausible and entertaining. What developed in the story however was a character creating situation which continued to evolve into a rather standard and dull situation. From modern directors I expect something different. This film started out reminiscent of "Ocean's Eleven" but soon froze into a 'Petrified Forest' remake. It also contains several plastic stereotypes, which bent over backwards trying not to insult any religious, ethnic, or sexual element. After watching the last episode, I was wrong in my initial assessment. Had it not been for Leguzamo, this movie would have been written off as "Same Old, Same Old.' As it is, he made it worth finishing, disappointing as it was. ***

Really ticked me off!

Author: Pat Johnson from United States
23 June 2014

Years ago there was the real-life case of the Texas Seven, convicts who escaped from a Texas prison and went on to kill a cop; all six surviving members (one committed suicide) were sentenced to death for this cop killing. Two have been executed, and the other four are on death row. This case demonstrates how seriously our society treats cop killers. It doesn't matter which of these guys did the actual killing; all six got the death penalty for their participation.

In Kill Point, the SWAT team is ordered by the FBI to sneak into the bank to attempt a hostage rescue. The bank robbers rush upstairs, killing a SWAT team member. This follows their earlier killing of an FBI agent who chased after them into the street following the bank robbery. What demonstrates a lack of awareness of how serious it is to kill a cop in the line of duty is the dialog during the scene when the bank robbers threaten to execute a hostage if the power to the bank isn't restored. Cali (the hostage negotiator) asks a fellow cop "Do you think they'll actually kill one of the hostages?" The cop replies that he doesn't know. Gee, let's see - at this point, the bank robbers are eligible for two separate death sentences, in two separate venues - in federal court for the killing of the FBI agent, and in state court for killing the SWAT team member. Why wouldn't they kill a hostage - because they want to avoid three death sentences?

For me, the height of absurdity is reached towards the end, when a friend of the bank robbers organizes a rally on their behalf. Can't believe for a second that a whole bunch of disabled vets would actually show up in their wheelchairs for this rally, in effect telling the world "we support cop killers." (Years ago there was the famous "North Hollywood shootout," in which two bank robbers dressed in full body armor shot up the streets; the cops had to go to a local gun store for ammunition to kill the bank robbers with. Now if these two real-life bank robbers had made it back into the bank, holding hostages, and announced to the world that they're veterans who want "flap jackets for all our fighting men" - could anyone imagine a single vet showing up to demonstrate their support for these guys, after that well-publicized shootout? But in Kill Point, there they are.) Give vets credit for having some intelligence, for God's sake!

Other hard-to-swallow plot developments : Cali and a whole roomful of cops are watching a wall clock, as the deadline approaches for the power to be restored to the bank, or a hostage will be executed. "Forty-five seconds left. What's your move?" Cali is asked. Surprising that it doesn't occur to a single person in that room to say to Cali: "Boss, what if this wall clock is two minutes slow? Or what if the bank robbers are looking at a clock that's two minutes fast? We might already be past the deadline!"

At one point, the hostages get the guns away from the robbers; their attempt to save themselves falls apart when one of the bank robbers manages to retrieve his gun from a hostage who freezes up and won't shoot him. Can't believe that none of the other hostages (who are standing right there) is willing to shoot. Or fire a warning shot into the air. Or take some action, while the bank robber slowly reaches out for his gun which is being held by the hostage.

Friends of the robbers show up at the bank and lead the robbers down a tunnel; having learned of their plans, a whole group of cops are there to try to apprehend them. Hard to believe that Cali wouldn't have ordered half of this group to retake the bank, as soon as the robbers left, thus trapping the robbers in the tunnel and ending the situation, instead of allowing them the opportunity to retreat back into the bank.

WARNING - MAJOR SPOILER ALERT FOLLOWS: Now for the ending. The hostage branch manager arranges for $6 million dollars to be transferred to a bank branch in Canada, for the bank robbers to enjoy. The sole surviving bank robber eventually drives off with this money. Rather ludicrous to think that a branch manager of a bank could actually arrange for millions of dollars of the bank's money to be transferred to some small branch bank, and sit there for weeks, without the bank noticing. (If branch managers could actually pull this off, I wonder how many of them would flee to countries without extradition treaties, with millions of dollars of embezzled funds).

Wow, what a terrific ending - a guy who can legitimately be described as a cold-blooded cop killer (earlier, he volunteers to be the one to execute a hostage - "we're the assassins") ends up rich, instead of on death row. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.) The fact that he plans to share this blood money with the families of his fellow cop killers hardly makes this ending more palatable. Why would they choose to end this program by rewarding a cop killer?

Better than Expected

Author: right left from United States
5 September 2011

"Kill Point" is a very, intense movie and worth the watch. I really don't expect TV Mini Series to be worth watching unless they're on Pay Cable or something, but I don't think this was on Pay TV, which means this should have "sucked". Anyway, this was a "nail-biting" suspense that delivered from start to finish. It was a very addicting watch, and I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. There was no ridiculous Character development, or far fetched scenes that stinks of lazy/ stupid writing. All the Characters were well written and behaved as if they were really in a hostage situation. This movie is good enough that after watching it, all the parties involved are seen in a new respectful, light. I also gained new respect for all the Actors in the movie. Donny Wahlberg who is pretty much dismissed as Mark Walhberg's, less talented, older Brother is actually fantastic. John Leguizamo was also very good as the Hostage Taker who has to manage an intense situation, and try to maintain his honor. Of course, it's not an Academy Awards acting job, but they were worth watching because this was a great movie, and I would recommend it to even the hardcore action/ suspense movie goers.