IMDb > "House M.D." Son of Coma Guy (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"House M.D." Son of Coma Guy (2006)

« Prev | 53 of 176 Episodes | Next »

Father's Famous Last Words

Author: calif drifter (iefbr14-1) from The Emerald Triangle
16 November 2006

Dying father Gabe (John Larroquette) wants to leave a last message with House for his son and asks House, "what would you want to most hear from your father?" House replies, "That you were right." This answer puzzles the father and did me too, until House explains. I awoke yesterday morning and the first thing I realized while regaining consciousness was that these were the last words Darth Vader spoke to his son, Luke. Probably a leftover from the Star Wars marathon I had been watching on Cinemax. The context of both quotes weren't exactly parallel, but it gave me pause to wonder if David Shore wasn't having a little joke.

Sub par

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
28 November 2006

SON OF COMA GUY is probably the weakest HOUSE episode I have seen to date. In order to treat a comatose patient, House awakens the comatose patient's comatose dad (John Laroquette) to learn more about the family. This neat trick, first used in AWAKENINGS, plays out in similar fashion here. House and the dad and a very reluctant Wilson end up going on a road trip to Atlantic City. Laroquette is one of those actors who blows extremely hot or cold, depending on the role and director. Here, he blows icy, and is just not very interesting as a dad who has awakened from a 10-year sleep. Also, for all the philosophical yammering that goes on, not much of anything is accomplished by having awakened dear old dad. We sit around a hotel room with the three men, arguing over a hoagie and House's love life; in the end, no one eats the hoagie and House's love life doesn't change a whit. The ending is so preposterous and inexplicable, I was tempted to turn it off. Well, as House has previously proved, you can't win them all. Cuddy and the House trio are wasted. Evil cop David Morse is still causing trouble.