IMDb > Showdown at Area 51 (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Showdown at Area 51

Showdown at Area 51 More at IMDbPro »

It doesn't even have much humor

Author: Sollus
18 December 2007

This movie was bad within the first 5 minutes. It only takes minimal research to find out some basic info about Area 51. 1. It's on a dry lake bed in the Nevada Desert. Not a whole lot of lush green vegetation in the countryside there. 2. It's an actual military installation, not a disguised park. The people at Area 51 are military and in uniform, again no disguises are necessary. So think of a dry fenced in airbase with soldiers. Not a National Park with Rangers. Anyone in uniform has his hair trimmed short and neat. Just putting on a uniform won't fool anyone closer than 50 ft. That was what I noticed in the first 5 minutes. It went downhill from there when I found out that most of the cast can't act and the plot was thin. This doesn't even belong in the Bargain Bin, If anyone makes a DVD of this it's worth more as a coaster.

About average for the SF channel

Author: J Bartell from Long Beach, CA
16 December 2007

Let's start with the things that are patently idiotic. Area 51 isn't in the desert as we have all been told, it's actually in a national park near St. Louis! Apparently that whole desert thing is just Government misdirection. Damn clever! Can you say "tax break for setting your film in our crappy backyard"? Apparently, a group of bad Aliens, the "Cronen" are waiting for us to generate enough pollution to meet their needs when they they will swoop in, kill us all and swipe our toxic waste. When the requisite female scientist asked the obvious question "Why kill us, we'd be glad to give them all they want for free" the only answer is "They don't negotiate". What are they, the Bush Administration? Not to mention the obvious fact that if they kill us all our ability to generate more pollution is zero, whereas if they just hauled it all away we'd make more than ever (just imagine if the EPA removed all restrictions, we would be a toxic goldmine). This is kind of like harvesting apples by cutting down the trees with a chainsaw and burning the stumps. And what kind of civilization doesn't know how to create pollution? The Bizarro world? "Me make car runs on smog and makes clean air. Me sad." Anyway, the plot revolves around a good alien sent here by someone to try to stop them by shutting down the "Omega Seed", which is the alien sensor that determines when the pollution level is adequate for harvesting. Turns out it's buried under a futuristic manhole cover in a barn. Makes you wonder what the farmer thought it was. "Dang it Clem, I done told ya not to park the tractor on the Omega Seed". The acting is semi-adequate, with the standout being Gigi Edgely, much missed since Farscape got axed ( a show superior in every conceivable way). Watching her try, and occasionally fail, to hide her Aussie accent is enchanting. The SFX and fight scenes are OK. All in all, better than most SF movies, which makes it just sub-par for anyone else.

Disappointing

Author: angelus-18
17 December 2007

This was quite disappointing. I had higher hopes for this movie, although i'm not sure why. The movie started decently enough but soon became worse + worse until it was just hard to watch for how bad it was. The movie doesn't even take place in Area 51. The story (or lack there of) is incoherent and the acting is hardly any better. A few of the actors deliver alright but the dialogue + story just isn't there. Very little about the "plot" really makes sense in the film + it seems the writers were making it up as they go. The directing/camera work on the film is also quite shotty. O well, this is what i get for trusting the Sci-Fi channel.

More holes than script but slightly interesting

Author: rlange-3 from United States
2 May 2008

gigi edgely and coby bell deliver decent acting considering the horrible script and swiss cheese plot full of holes. both are attractive and manage to deliver their lines pretty convincingly in spite of the preposterous situation.

At a fundamental level, the plot has potential. Two aliens, one bad, one good, but you aren't sure which is which until the end of the film. Clues point in different directions (especially the girl on the swing part).

It's a low budget flick so don't expect much on special effects. That may be an understatement.

The problem is that it is really hard to suspend disbelief when so much of the movie borders on the absurd, and most of the acting is so awful. The frat boy scene introducing the brothers is unconvincing but at least short. The military part at the base is in part ruined by the overacting and unbelievable stupidity of the officer in charge. And then come the aliens, one with tattoos and leathers and the other in something that looks like he crawled out of an army navy surplus store. Hoses are are everywhere. He wears a holey summer shirt with a couple tears that apparently repels armor piercing bullets. It's a see to believe mess.

The fights are worse. Bullets are bouncing off the aliens, one of whom has a little shield that he waves around that nobody can miss. An RPG (what is Mr. Redneck doing with an RPG?) is used to threaten one of the aliens, held about 2 feet from him -- as it if wouldn't blow up the hero as well. The clunk clunk fat guy gets delivered in an ice cream truck. No, wait, a bulletproof car comes first, then the ice cream truck which has some awful fake bullet holes in the side. They run through a squad of soldiers like a knife through butter -- somehow the vehicles are bulletproof, then, in one of the funniest scenes of the movie someone hits the rear bumper of the car and it falls off. Just... falls off. Nobody in these elite military squads can hit the tires which survive the entire encounter intact. How much budget does it take to deflate a tire?

Its not that bad of a way to pass a boring night, primarily because of edgely (at least if you are male), but I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film

Author: eliz7212-1 from United States
17 December 2007

I'll tell you why. It wasn't the best film in the world, and it certainly wasn't the worst. But what it was not, well, it was not BORING!!! And for me, to sit through a two hour TV movie, well, I just sat and watched and enjoyed. The special effects were very well done. I didn't watch it for the acting. I watched it because I enjoy sci-fi and with all the crap out here and yes, most of the crap is on the SCi-fi Channel, with their reptiles, and snakes and whatever, it was nice to just enjoy an Alien movie without having to think about it too much.

So if you just want to chill in front of the TV, grab some popcorn, grab your wife or girlfriend and sit and enjoy a not too complicated sci-fi movie.

I'm so tired of zombies, vampires etc. We need a sequel to this one. Well done Sci Fi Channel.

Jason, what befell thee?

Author: ctomvelu1 from United States
21 March 2010

The movie is not even worth reviewing, except for the fact that it stars a one-time legitimate actor named Jason London. I know he is pretty much just a pretty boy, but there was a time when he appeared in legit movies. I wonder what happened to him? I can guess, but I dare not say for fear of being sued. Anyhow, the movie is a very bad -- and I mean very bad --- copy of I COME IN PEACE, which was about two enemy aliens duking it out on Earth. In that incredibly silly but fun movie, which starred another has-been, Dolph Lundgren, the aliens at least looked like something from another planet. In this movie, the aliens are an ordinary-looking black guy and someone dressed in what appears to be an ancient aviator outfit. I have seen worse, but not by much. I only watched it for London, who fails to deliver the goods. He reminds me a little of Kyle McLaughlin, another pretty boy who seems unable to act -- at least ever since SHOWGIRLS. Please avoid this one.

Never send Dave to the Blockbuster alone!!!

Author: RamblerReb from United States
5 August 2009

Do you have one of those friends who takes sadistic pleasure in bringing utterly crappy z-grade sci-fi movies back from the video store? Now you know how I was forced to have this travesty irreparably burned into the synapses of my brain.

Anyhow, you may have noted that I gave this utter dreck three out of ten. Was it the utterly unnecessary presence of TV's Matt Houston? Nope. The "I'm in it for the paycheck" performance of Gigi Edgley? Guess again! That's right, it was the totally unexpected presence of a mint '67 Rambler Rebel SST convertible right in the middle of the picture! "My God!" I shouted, frightening the dog and making Dave jump in his chair, "I have found a redeeming feature in this movie!" I actually watched the thing all the way to the end based on this fact, and I still could not tell you what the hell happened.

A very 5 star "Who WRITES this stuff???"

Author: huh_oh_i_c from Earth, Solar system
8 January 2008

I watched this because of the intriguing title, and a bit out of "Party of Five" sentiment. I've seen over 2500 films, yet none of the actor I had seen before, so I thought hey nice! unknown actors! But I was thoroughly disappointed by the story. And the cinematography.

I just don't like that a film, which is supposed to have sweltering skies and a desert backdrop is played out under a leaden sky. All right, so I like the sun, sue me. Yeah yeah, I know they explained it, and they're Canadians, so can you blame them for using their own country? I guess not.

Still, this movie had 2nd rate written all over it. There is nothing which annoys me so much as Stupid Characters. Prime Example: the Tough Sarge. Why was he so stupid as not to distinguish between the two aliens? and on the other hand, Our Hero could just as easily have said: Look, he's the local Interstellar Cop, that is an Intergalactic Hoodlum and he wants to kill us all for profit/food/our minerals. Easy explanation, but yeah that would kinda kill the story .... But wait! that is the mark of a good writer, that presents his lore in such a way that believable obstacles are given, which do not rely on the stupidity of the characters. Wouldn't Our Hero say everything that sounds reasonable to keep the world from being poisoned? It's bad, very bad. Then, they try to throw in a totally unbelievable plot twist near the end, which could explain the rapid progress of the villain to the scene of the Bomb, but TOTALLY unbelievable, since we get no background info on Bad Alien at all, whereas we do get background info on Good Alien, he has a GF, she died, etc etc.

Minor detail: They used the same bike they used in Tinman!!! I mean, how cheap can a channel get!!

84 mins of my life ... anyway, it's that I get somewhat paid to review these, or else ...

Lame and Dull

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 March 2016

When two aliens fighting against each other in their spacecrafts crash on Earth at Area 51, a military group goes to the location but they are killed. The former military Jake Townsend (Jason London) seeks news from his brother in the base where his brother serves, and stumbles with the alien Jude (Coby Bell). He is wounded and explains that he needs to find a weapon before the other alien, Kronnan (Jahidi White), activates it to destroy Earth. They team-up with Jake's former girlfriend Monica Gray (Gigi Edgley) to search the weapon while they are hunted down by Kronnan and a paramilitary team. But when Jake meets Kronnan, he tells that Jude is the one who intends to activate the destructive weapon. Who is telling the truth?

"Showdown at Area 51" is a lame and dull film with an awfully written story. There are so many flaws that irritates. For example, Jake is angry with Jude in a moment, when the alien is accused of killing his brother, and teams-up with him on the next moment. Jake impersonates a military, trespasses the base perimeter, kills the leader of the paramilitary and the film has a happy end. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

Idiotic

Author: (isaackamp@yahoo.com) from Istanbul, Turkey
18 March 2008

Alright... This movie has good special effects. Its fights are good. The acting is decent. That's about it. The story is thin, (something about aliens harvesting pollutants from Earth; to collect them they are going to blow us up. Why not just ask us? "They don't negotiate". Duh. Why have a renewable resource when you can be macho and blow stuff up?)the plot twists are about as exciting as watching grass grow, and the inaccuracies (pointed out in other comments) are glaring and decrease any sense of "it-could-happen-someday" suspense garnered from well-done movies like Aliens. I honestly don't care if it is a good "Saturday night film" (i.e., mindless violence). Why would I waste my life on it? Get this film if you are sick, extremely bored, you have no money or books, and your music player has no battery.