The Upsetter

The Upsetter: The Life and Music of Lee Scratch Perry More at IMDbPro »The Upsetter (original title)

I am a mild fan of Reggae... but

Author: Tracy Allard from Montreal
14 February 2012

As a mild fan of Reggae and Hip Hop, and having spent a portion of my life in the Caribbean, I was really enthusiastic about this film. The first half was quite interesting, as it gave us a glimpse into his relationship with Marley and other artists. We also got a glimpse into how he got creative with electronic music and opened the door for many new music genres to come. The movie should have ended there, but it didn't.

After his fallout with Bob Marley and the "potheads" hanging out at his studio, he burnt his own recording studio down, had some sort of religious epiphany, abandoned all substances, denounced and decried his Reggae years and all past collaborators, and became some sort of religious fringe character living in Switzerland. The film ponders on him shovelling bits of his life into a backyard fire, and about his wanting most of all to access women's genitals and make lots and lots babies. By about two thirds of the film, people started walking out. I had to stay because I was part of the volunteers during the festival.

It's always sad to see someone who has had a strong positive impact on a culture, become a religious zealot and denounce his past life.