IMDb > Senior Skip Day (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Senior Skip Day

Senior Skip Day (V) More at IMDbPro »

Out-and-out teen comedy with a lot of laughs

Author: british_jim from Czech Republic
12 June 2008

I saw this on HBO lateish last night and should have gone to bed with an early start today, but I stayed up with my girlfriend to watch it all the way through. Glad I did.

Films always have something they're trying to achieve. This film's there to make you laugh, particularly if you're sub-30 and probably sub-20 and for that it's great. It's not meant to be deep - it's stupid with a lot of good gags.

I scrape in sub-30 and so remember Ferris Bueller's Day Off from the 80s. Like Family Guy figuring copying the Simpsons set-up was the best idea, so they've copied the set-up almost completely - High School student getting away with party day, getting his girl, graduated sister half-covering for him and Principal chasing him around town (with fat secretary holding the fort). Oh, and a dead relative.

You know it's shallow, but that's why it's good. Does what it's supposed to, hence the 8.

Don't waste your time

Author: anderwtetnowski from United States
30 December 2008

AWFUL!

This movie is by far the worst movie I have ever seen. The main character was a horrible actor. The entire movie it seems as if he is trying to be Ryan Reynolds performance in Van Wilder and it doesn't happen.

This movie has plot holes galore. And ten minutes in will leave you wondering if you missed something.

The characters in this movie are either the obvious stereotype that we've seen a thousand time (The Overly Out Of Touch Stoner, The Cheating Football Playing Asshole Boyfriend, The Gorgeous Long Time Crush Of The Main Character (Who Is Still A Virgin... Somehow) etc.) or they are totally over the top and annoying (The Physically Violent Principal, The PETA Member Who Gives Up Her Morales After 2 Beers And A Bong Toke, etc.)

This movie is the Dane Cook of movies. They took the best parts from all other teen movies, but made them so outrageous and obnoxious they not only aren't funny anymore, they actually inspire hatred and make one consider murder.

Things This Movie Taught Me: - Mobsters don't know how to lock doors, always carry copious amounts of cocaine, and are very trusting of people they just met - All black people know at least one Hip Hop singer - If you really love a girl and she's just about to sleep with someone else... Don't worry, Something always goes wrong - High School students are very accepting of the outsider especially when he dances like an idiot by him self, in fact his individualism will cause them to accept him even more - Beautiful women take being tricked very well, in fact they can not tell the difference between a legit photographer and an 18 year old with a fake mustache. But don't worry even if they do figure it out IT'S OK!!! Just admit you tricked them and they will take their clothes off and stay for your party, because they have nothing better to do with their life's.

I have more but, you get the idea. As Jeffery Ross would say:

This movie had to be filmed in Hi-Def, because the only way someone would enjoy it is if they were High and Deaf.

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
7 September 2008

Senior loser Adam Harris (Gary Lundy) is invited to the senior skip day party at Principal Dickwalder's (Larry Miller) house. But he accidentally slips the news to the Principal, and the whole senior class now wants his blood.

But Adam and his two friends come up with a plan - have the party at his house instead! So he invites all the seniors to come, and a huge party ensues, with the Principal driving all over town trying to find out where the senior skip day party is at.

"Senior Skip Day" tries too hard to be this generation's "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," but fails in every aspect. Sure, some of the jokes are funny, but the stock characters and lack of character development in the lead all leads the viewer to an overall disappointing feeling after viewing this direct-to-DVD teenage comedy.

Not great, not terrible, worth watching if bored

Author: gabe_alderson from Russian Federation
10 May 2008

It was alright. Larry Miller is one of my favorite actors for adult authority roles (ah, 10 Things I Hate About You, good times). Also, I've had a crush on Lea Thompson since Caroline in the City. I'm cool like that.

Anywho, as far teen comedies go, this one didn't make me throw my hands up and yell "I WASH MY HANDS OF YOU!" like most do. I actually liked it well enough.

The story was pretty run-of-the-mill, but the way it runs is pretty entertaining. And the slap sticky nature of the random old people make me laugh out loud.

All in all, I give it a 6.5/10, just because it's refreshing from American Pie and Harold and Kumar nasty humor, and is a little more goofy and fun.

NOT a Ferris Bueller rip-off

Author: karensimon from United States
7 February 2009

This is NOT a Ferris Bueller rip-off. About the only thing the two movies have in common skipping school (in Ferris Bueller's case 3 people, & here the entire senior class) & an obsessed principal who gets into trouble.

Unlike Ferris Bueller, the main character Adam, is not cool but trying to become cool and he is trying to win over a girl. Also unlike Ferris Bueller he does not have an adventure going around the city, but is throwing a party at his house. There is a sister involved, but she's on his side.

In other words, the movie is an original, not a copy with lots of funny moments and likable characters. If I had to compare it to any movie, I'd compare it to Can't Hardly Wait, although that was more of a romantic comedy, while this movie is pure comedy.

Pretty decent light-weight teen comedy

Author: erostew from Canada
21 July 2008

Not bad at all. Worth a look.

If you're looking for a film with meaning keep on looking. If you want a little escapist fun then have a look.

Unlike another reviewer I do not think this is as good as Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The script isn't really all that similar except for the psycho prinicpal. Ferris was "king of the school" skips class for a day of fun. This movie is "school loser throws a party for the whole class and becomes semi-cool". They do have characters talking to the screen in common. I do agree it's pretty much a copy of the premise though.

The main difference between the 2 movies is the quality of the cast. These guys aren't terrible, and there are actually some pretty good performances, but they don't match the quality of the Ferris cast.

The male lead, Gary Lundy, is okay if a bit blah. His unrequited love interest is played in a likable and competent way by Kayla Ewell. Both are basically unknowns, at least to me. Tara Reid is pretty good although in a fairly small part. She doesn't look as hot as she used to but then she's not playing a teen lead anymore. And Lea Thompson still looks too good to be anybody's mom, but does a nice job. Larry Miller is kind of irritating but does okay. Clint Howard is the same as always, no Macbeth but a quirky and funny character.

Not much else to say really. I didn't bust a gut laughing but I enjoyed it.

Kept thinking about Lou Diamond Phillips!

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
23 April 2010

I caught this movie at the Film Zone, it was 2:00 a.m. I wanted mindless entertainment. I got exactly what I expected.

The movie has the typical sex humor oriented for teens, plenty of sexual gags, dialogs, even actresses like Tara Reid! We get plenty of hot girls in skimpy mini skirts, bikinis, etc.

The situations should be enjoyed for those who are into the "American Pie" style.

I can see the "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" comparisons. The plot is almost identical and I would consider this movie as a more raunchy version of "Ferris...".

Watch it if you like the National Lampoon's series. Otherwise, you might find it as bad taste, boring, pointless. I had many laughs and got heated by the girls.

Standard high-school teen comedy

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
14 February 2010

Recap: Adam Harris is not the most popular guy at high school. And he really hits a new low when he accidentally reveals the whereabouts of the senior skip day party to the principal. But he narrowly escapes a beating from the entire senior class by tricking the principal to give them the day off. And then he have to arrange the party at his own house. But that might be harder than you think when no one really likes you. But with a few lingerie-models, a lot of alcohol, and the wonder that is picture messaging soon the entire class is at Adam's. With that feat accomplished, he might also have a shot at the girl of his dreams.

Comments: Not much to say really. This is a average comedy made for high school teenagers, and probably most boys, using all the standard steps. Get a standard story that has been done before, say, an underdog that must win the heart of the school's most beautiful girl from the most popular guy. Throw in a couple of low jokes (some are a little funny though), mainly about sex and drugs, and a little nudity and you're done.

It is not really bad at what it aim to do, but some effort to make something new or at least adding some twist or surprise development would have been nice. Instead this movie goes for predictability and familiarity. Unfortunately for me, I require a little more to take a liking to a movie. Not that I expected much else.

How Tara Reid and above all Lea Thompson got mixed up in this is the only surprising element of the movie. But I guessed they got paid relatively well to add some credibility and star power to the movie, because they are not really in the movie, but for a few scenes.

Don't expect too much, and you won't be too disappointed. I didn't and I wasn't, but I still feel that I could have spent the time better, or watching something else. Totally forgettable.

surprisingly funny.

Author: abwilliams47 from United States
6 July 2008

you know how it is with these kind of movies..they usually throw one or two almost notable actors in the mix to garner interest and its usually horrific all the way through.

well this one surprised me a little, not only was it funny but it didn't run too long and it wasn't that immature for a high school movie.

Larry Miller is priceless in this(as he is in just about every role). the scene when he gets handed the cocaine by the mobster is so funny to me when he's like "ohhh this is plenty" or when he's on the phone with his secretary and zones out like "hello my old friend" and takes a whiff..

the only parts i didn't really like were that i think the main character was kind of miscast, either that or he was just kind of annoying, especially at the party when he singles out the girl he likes, he came off so corny there...the girls boyfriend was hilarious though, he played that role very well and made us all wonder what she really wanted him for in the first place.

the movie wasn't great by any means but if you're trying to find a teen style comedy that isn't one of these run of the mill national lampoons or ___movies(insert Scary, Date, etc), then check out Senior Skip Day.

surprisingly not bad

Author: wlaudeman125 from United States
29 December 2008

common straight to TV teen party movie...sounds like crap? they are, but this one is refreshingly not that bad. an interesting story with some interesting characters make this quite funny and enjoyable. Some of the characters include a phsyco strict principal, the common nerd( yea) jocks, party guys, and one of the best stoners since James Franco in Pineapple Express. The acting wasn't too bad, a good story with a ferris bueler-esquire plot, but still manages to be original. Has plenty of interesting twists and very funny segments, a few clichéd parts but doesn't completely ruin the movie. Give this straight to TV teen party movie a chance, might be worth your while. its actually not bad and will probably give u a good popcorn laugh movie at the least.