IMDb > The Sighting (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Travis

The Sighting More at IMDbPro »Travis (original title)

Total Waste of Time

Author: MR-Katt from Brazil
18 May 2016

I did the big mistake and rented this movie after reading some reviews describing this movie as one of the best horror/thriller ever made well it was one of the best trash/waste of time movies that was ever made this movie suffer from a lot like the bad acting / cheesy dialogues i don't even know why it was listed as horror/thriller , if they mean the one shot where some guys dressing as gorillas standing in shadows well it won't scare even my little kitty ,and what about thrill ??? if they mean the plot ? we already saw tens of movies with similar plot nothing new here , no thrill at all . why this movie has high rating , why there is many good reviews about it? i don't know , but i know one thing that this movie was a complete waste of time , avoid it at all costs . Awful .

The Sighting of very little.

Author: dodge-west from United Kingdom
19 May 2016

OK so straight off the film was originally called Travis because the main character is called Travis. That gives you some insight as to the thinking level of the writer.

Movie starts with hand held camera so I'm thinking found footage but I was wrong and that's just to set the scene.

So short intro bit with added gratuitous boob shot and 15 minutes later the opening credits. Like what the hell?? This film is in no way good enough for many people to even make it to the opening credits.

On to the main points. Kid is telling story in flash back mode of how he went to a party and all these kids vanished but he left before that happened. A Year later and he's on a road trip with his best friend to Canada. Stop at creepy gas station because all gas stations are creepy and get served by low budget guy that's trying his best to be Robert Englund and failing badly. The fact that Robert Englund himself makes very low budget films and wasn't in this should again serve as a sign of how bad this is.

Creepy guy gives directions for short cut which they take even though it's all signposted that the road is closed because stupid is as stupid does. In the interest of saving time I shall fire through a few facts to keep this a bit shorter.

A group of big foot attack kids in car. One goes missing the other goes back to gas station and listens to long story from creepy guy. Goes back into woods with first guys brother. Big foot attacks happen again. Brother is killed. Flash forward and guy is back to telling his story. Good cop bad cop situation ensues and bad cop says it's all in the guys head and that he was the killer and he probably killed the seven kids from the party at the beginning of the film. Here we have our second shot of boobs because even the boobs appear in a cops idea as to what goes on. Guy isn't arrested though because you know evidence is a thing and there isn't any.

Movie ends with guy driving back to the woods again and doing the whole "I'm gonna prove I'm telling the truth" speech to a video camera and stands waiting to be attacked. A sound is heard and credits roll. This leaves the audience to decide if it was him or if the big foot are real. However at this stage I'm sure nobody cares and are all just happy that it's over and that they can move along.

Not that bad, but not that great. Just, Meh.

Author: Manwhofell
21 May 2016

Been reading IMDb reviews for years, but this is the First review I've done. No spoilers here, just an opinion. I saw a number of reviews giving praise to this movie, so thought I'd give it a go. Not nearly as good as I thought it would be, or even could be. But it really wasn't a trainwreck either. Not sorry I watched it, I mean The first half hour or so actually had my stomach kinda knotting up with tension, but then...... Interesting take on Bigfoot, but it kinda fell flat, for me anyway.It was done well, but it just seems to have missed the mark of reaching what could have been a very good film. Acting was definitely not A-list grade, pacing was okay,atmosphere was there, tension and fear were absolutely there for the first half-hour. All in all, not a bad trip to take on a Saturday night.

Where is the scare

Author: Meta Pomeiske from Germany
20 August 2016

Why are movies so bad these days? I don't get it. This is a z-movie. The most scariest thing in this flick is this boob job gone wrong. Boy, I have never seen such misplaced boobies!!! True shocker.

One can foresee the coming events...Lost shoes in the woods, there is screaming, there is running involved, a cabin in the wild, two idiots and guns...boring boring, not worth money nor time. I even haven't got enough words to describe how terrible this movie is to submit my review. There is really nothing worth mentioning about this flick. Nothing sticks out.

In my humble opinion, I recommend to sink yourself into a good series instead of this...."film"

the ending was awful

Author: kolasomania from england
17 April 2017

well i thought this movie was excellent.and it was until some point the movie starts with a man recording a party. OK i passed that strange think and went on the following 1 hour the movie was excellent, not to creepy but also not to peaceful.there was action and creativity.i can tell i was something like excited because after much time i had found a movie which is worth seeing.and then the ending came...the last 15 minutes destroyed Literally all the movie.the movie ended with the boy dying full of desperation because after all the things he lived loosing 2 of his best friends. also the ending shows the policewoman going in the cave and the movie ending.at this point i think that everyone understood that the policewoman was caught buy the Sasquatch and obviously got killed.so in what does this ending lead to.the policeman and Travis father keep thinking that Travis is crazy and that he is the murderer and the policewoman dies into that deep cave unable to tell the policeman that the boy tells the truth and that the Sasquatch are real.also if the woman is dead the policeman will be unable to find the dead Sasquatch so again he will believe a story kinda "Travis killed the policeman and then he committed suicide".so the ending will be with the boy and the policewoman dead with Travis being a murderer in the eyes of this fool policeman.personally if i was the writer i would give an ending like "the boy does not commit suicide.the policewoman finds the Sasquatch and immediately takes him into the police station.the policemen identify his DNA so the boy is innocent and happy again.after that the police could go to the cave with many men and kill or put these things to cages so Canada finds his peace again.anyway this was a nice movie but the ending destroyed her.if it was happy ending i would give this movie 10 stars for sure

"B"igfoot

Author: s3276169
28 August 2016

Alright, so yes this is another "B" grade horror flick. Yes the scripting could have been better, yes there's over acting, yes it might look a little like someone rubbed onion juice in the lead actors eyes. And yes, the monsters do look somewhat like extras dressed up in beige off cuts, from the local carpet factory.

That said, if you can put these perceived shortcomings aside, this is not a bad little "B"igfoot horror flick. The acting from the lead actor, if you can put the teary eyed thing aside, is actually pretty good. He hands in an above average performance, as in fact, do most of the cast. The scripting is patchy but there's enough creativity on offer here, to make this flick quite watchable. Some of the jokes are pretty darn good too.

Where this film really shines though, is it does manage to pull off some reasonable scares. Its not terrifying but in the opening and closing scenes its actually does give you goose bumps and raise a few hairs on the back of the neck. There's a couple of good jump scares on offer too.

So once again little B-movie-ville manages to do better than its Hollyweed, oops I mean Hollywood, counterparts. Well done guys. I hope you make a sequel! Seven out of ten from me.

Fairly inept indie horror

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
27 August 2016

The Sighting is about Bigfoot attacks in the Montana woods. In this story, there is a tribe of Bigfoots rather than one. Two guys are trying to cross the border at night when they first see them. Some exposition is piped in and the attacks continue for several more scenes. The main character survives and the police suspect that he faked the attacks and killed the other people he was with. It seems like it's heading towards one of those endings where everything we were seeing was the delusions of the murderer, killing without realizing it. However, they give an open-ended finish in which the main character sets up a camera and waits by the woods. The idea is that he's so distraught that people don't believe him that he's willing to die to prove the creatures are real. That's actually a more clever ending than anyone would expect from everything that came before. It seemed like everything would be complete clichés and reused tropes. They actually go so far as to throw in a visual homage to the Psycho shower scene, replicating some the quick-cut shots. As far as the acting, I didn't think it was bad so much as strange. People spoke with such unusual timing and cadence that something just felt off. Overall, I would say this is one to skip. Not goofy enough to be enjoyed for its ineptitude, and no clear shots of the creatures, who look like dudes with strips of fur hanging off of them.

I do not recommend

Author: oliviabeth78
5 October 2016

I didn't even make it five minutes into the movie. I should have read the reviews before renting it. If you are the type of person who does not like the home movie effect, or found footage style movie, then this movie is a waist of your time. It really isn't even a class B movie. It is more like a class fail, that is why there was only one copy for rent at Family Video. It looks like 5th graders put it together. If 5th graders had actually directed and edited this movie, I could have given it 4 stars for effort. I would not recommend this movie to anyone. If you try watching, "The Sighting" don't hope for much. This movie was a desperate attempt that failed.

Not to bad

Author: graham620 from Bangor North Wales UK
8 June 2016

No spoilers you will have to judge it for your self. I have watched some terrible films in my time, some claiming to be fantastic and then turn out to be awful. Thankfully this is not one of them. Not a bad film but not great either. They could have done so much more with this. Acting was OK again not great. Suspense and tension in parts.good build up as I said they could have developed this film and made it great, Obviously they only had a small budget. Although I have watched films with a big budget that are far worse. Interestingly the film is written and directed by the main stars of the film so hats off to them.I would watch it again but would not go to the cinema just to see this. Well worth a watch if you have nothing else on. On the whole a good effort.

Ode to Canada's murderous Ewoks

Author: CrunchyBug
22 May 2016

Canada's a terrifying place. From poutine to ketchup flavored potato chips the country's a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Case in point, the basement-dwelling gas station attendants who lure unsuspecting road-trippers into taking quasi-legal border crossing routes in hopes of getting them accosted by..... Oh, wait. That guy was American. Whatever. Stay out of Canada, man.

Because Bigfoots.

Bigfeet?

Sasquatches. Sasquatchi? C'mon, you know what I mean! Canada kills.

Yes, this is a low budget movie. The acting is sub-par, the story requires a healthy dose of Suspension of Disbelief and/or plain ol' Just Roll With It, and the "special effects" consist of carpet suits and Karo syrup, but this one's got something special.

Admittedly, I was thoroughly irritated with the leading man right from the start. "To all that's holy in Canada, please let Bigfoot eat him first," I prayed. But he grows on ya. I suspect he may have Micheal Ironside Disease. It only works if he's a bad guy? In any case, just suck it up and pretend he's Rutger Hauer or something.

I'm not going to lie. The majority of this film is laughable. They spend 15 minutes before the credits roll setting up stuff that the rest of the film barely acknowledges. I mean, it tries. But it's like one of the writers' little brothers wanted to play, too, so their Big Bro said "You've got 15 minutes, go for it."

BUT (and that's a big but), don't let the low rating and terrible reviews scare you off. This film (and I still use the term lightly) has the potential to grow beyond itself. I'm legitimately shocked that nobody's referenced the wonderful Psycho shower scene homage. Not to mention the clever, split-screen 911 scene -- just to name a couple highlights. And of course the flip from creature feature to psychological thriller and back!

Yes. Absolutely. This is a terrible movie. You'll probably hate the main character and you'll probably wonder where everyone else went. That being said, though, grab a few beers, sit down with your B-Movie Crüe, and watch it. You won't be sorry.