IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 159: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

The most anticipated superhero movie of all time doesn't disappoint.

Author: Danny McDandy from United States
29 April 2012

The Avengers is quite possibly the most anticipated superhero movie in history, but does it quite live up to the hype?

I know that this is the Marvel movie we have all been waiting for. This is the movie that all the others made by Marvel Studios has been leading up to. This is what they have been aching to show us.

I was pleased to learn that I would be given the chance to see the movie before its May release date in the United States, but despite my privileged opportunity, I went in with relatively low expectations. (It's just another superhero movie, but with a bunch of them at one time, right?)

Wrong...

If you are a fan of Marvel, superheroes, great CGI or just all-around intense action films, you MUST see Marvel's The Avengers.

The CGI was the best I've seen in a long time, the fighting as intense as ever, and the plot is top-notch. But these things aren't the only aspects of the movie that make The Avengers great. For me, it was the characters.

Yes, we've seen all these characters before. We've enjoyed their specific movies, but having them on screen together worked better than I could have imagined.

In fact, that was why I was apprehensive at first. I had been afraid that perhaps one hero would take away more screen time than another. (We all have our favorites.) But this wasn't the case.

Tony Stark (Robert Downy Jr.), provided his much expected wit and humor for the film, causing the crowd to laugh on many occasions. The banter between Stark and Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans) flowed well and added a lot to the character depth.

I wasn't sure how Thor (Chris Hemsworth) would be playing his part either. I thought he actually might be taking too much screen time from the others since his brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston), was the main antagonist, but this wasn't the case.

I found myself most excited in the movie when Bruce Banner/The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) came on screen. His character was done so well for this movie. I found myself thrilled and even scared in some of his scenes.

I must also mention here that Ruffalo did a superb job of taking Edward Norton's place as Bruce Banner/ The Hulk. If there's one thing that annoys me about sequels, it's when they change actors, but I actually enjoyed Ruffalo better in this role.

Of course you can't forget about Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). Each of them played their part of the story wonderfully, though I found Sam Jackson's acting to be a little stale.

I would say that if you haven't watched the other movies made by Marvel Studios that you might want to watch them. Most references will be lost on you if you don't.

As far as screen time, it felt like every character got their time in the light. No one person stole the show, and just as Marvel intended, they ALL stole the show.

There is one particular scene that I enjoyed where the camera panned to each hero, doing their own special moves, though it's hard to explain further than that without giving anything away. However, there were moments in the movie where I had to lean over to my wife and ask what someone was talking about, but these instances were minor.

Obviously, if you care anything about Marvel movies, you're already planning to see The Avengers. If you haven't seen any of the other Marvel Studios films, take a weekend, watch them. Then go see The Avengers. I don't think you'll be sorry you did.

Here it is, the masterpiece we've been waiting for. :)

Author: achyutha037 from Bangalore
27 April 2012

I was eagerly waiting for this movie. But after seeing the Marvel movie, Captain America: the first Avenger, Thor and Incredible hulk- I thought that the movie would be not as good as the hype it carried for so many years. But still due to Robert downey jr. i wanted to see this film. OK, i admit it, i was blown away by the movie in terms of Action, and of course Humor.

Director Joss Whedon, directed this movie so BRILLIANTLY, that there are very little or NO flaws. Sufficient Screen time has been provided for each of the SUPERHEROES. but the Mighty guys, Iron man(RDJ) and the Hulk(Mark Ruffalo) steal the show. Thor(Chris Hemsworth) was too, brilliant. In this movie, you'll see more of Captain America(Chris Evans) than his solo movie, which is really great. AND, Black Widow(Scarlett Johannson) kicks the ass off whoever she fights with. Hawkeye(Jeremy Renner) is not at all Underused, his Powers were shown superbly. Nick Fury(Samuel L. Jackson) was great with his Initiative. And here it is, the main villain, Loki(Tom Hiddleston), steals the show with his mischievous and No-worries personality, he fits into the role perfectly. On the Whole, the cast were perfect, with each of them fitting into the characters with ease.

The humor and witty one liners are splendid. Don't expect it to be DARK with no humor like the Dark knight, instead it wins the heart of each and every person watching the film in the auditorium. Many people have started comparing Avengers with The dark knight, but what I SAY is these two are COMPLETELY different type of film, and comparing the two is not justified. Still if you compare, Avengers is better than Dark knight. Due to the reason that Avengers can be enjoyed by each and every person, it has action and Humor, both at equal Quantities.

As for iron man, Robert downey jr IS Iron man, no other person can do that role so perfectly. Unfortunately, RDJ is about to leave the franchise after IRON MAN 3, i request the iron man fans to please him not to leave the franchise for at least another 3 or 4 films, including AVENGERS 2. :)

I will ensure to each and every person who is reading this that, this film will never disappoint you, not even a moment. 100%. :) Go watch it without doubt. I will say that, this movie will definitely touch or cross the 1Billion mark and becomes on of the highest grossing films in the film history.

Verdict: 10/10 stars, A+++++, EXCELLENT.

pure garbage

Author: bosta-371-726784 from United States
16 May 2012

this movie is pure garbage, Scarlet J is a really bad actress, you can take this movie, and leave only the battle scene, and delete the other and it will be OK. you have the same argument that transformers movie.. a cube with powers to control the universe... two sides fighting the good and the evil... the good wins...no surprises... i prefer watchmen. Capitan America is a really weak super hero, boring boring boring, i felt asleep all the first hour of the movie. I want my money back. Also the aliens(soldiers) are not so good... Iron man was OK. Nick fury, regular. The air battleship was useless i really did not understand why they don't sent that huge battleship to fight the aliens...

Great, GREAT FILM!!

Author: JoeDiBease from United States
12 April 2012

Ever since the beginning of the film, I was so amazed and happy That I was at the premier of the movie. Very good acting from all the main characters and good acting from the rest. Great Directing and writing from Joss Whedon too. The cinematography was stunning throughout the whole film.This is a fun action packed film for the whole family to enjoy just like the rest of the Marvel movies but better. The special effects by far are the best for any Marvel movie. The Hulk Looks so much more real. By the way The Hulk made the movie even better. Also, DO NOT SEE THE AVENGERS IN 3D! See the film because you will not be disappointed even if you are not that interested into superhero movies. It has a lot of humor and love, so again SEE IT!

The BIGGEST film of ALL-TIME..........The Avengers is UNDENIABLY MASSIVE, GREAT, AND, ABOVE ALL ELSE, one of the BEST FILMS EVER.....

Author: The_Riddler_1948 from West Scotland, United Kingdom
14 June 2014

BANG! The year is 2012, movie-goers, comic books fans, and nerds alike (like me) are keen, eager, jumpy, and hyped! 2012 was going to be the ultimate year for films. The Avengers was HITTING the BIG SCREEN - it was FINALLY, after long-awaited years, patience, and jumpiness, coming.... I remember I was strongly hyped and I couldn't wait to see the film - it was sure to be huge, with absolutely outstanding, in-the-moment effects, with great characters finally come alongside each other. My oh my, it was going to be somewhat unbeatable. No film was as big as this, this was the ultimate film for all Marvel fans, Comic books fans in general, Movie-goers, etc.

The Avengers, as I like to call it, rather than its given name over here (Avengers Assmble; "Marvel's Avengers Assemble) was and is a tremendous blockbuster achievement, with edge-of-your seat spectacle, greatness, and specialness. It was like a huge, alien-like bullet had crashed through your heart, and without damaging it, left it with great-feeling, crazy shocks and superior adrenaline....THAT'S WHAT THE AVENGERS DID, ULTIMATELY! Sudden rushes of adrenaline, happiness, and more, the Avengers was definitely the biggest of the big, and after seeing it, my jaw was left hanging to my shoes, clanking and bashing of the ground. It was, and is, fantastic, no wonder it made so much money. The Avengers is definitely one of my 50 favourite films, and in all honesty, half that, and you get 25, and it's MOST LIKELY in my top 25 too!

It sees Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division) bring together the ultimate team of superheroes, including: Captain America (Steve Rogers), Thor Odinson, Iron Man (Tony Stark), and more....including The Hulk (Dr Bruce Banner), Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff), and, eventually, Hawkeye ( Clint Barton) joins them... Loki of Asgard, the films' main antagonist, you could say, wants to retrieve the Tesseract in the film....a reaction from the Tesseract creates a wormhole, thus allowing Loki to travel and make his way through it so he's in earth.

The Avengers is one of my favourite films, and it's a film that loads of people will love --- it's incredible. Fast-paced, explosive and daring special effects, absolute MEGA fights, including one between Tony Stark and Thor, which ends in a collision of both Thor's Hammer and Steve Roger's shield, and more. Seriously, it's such a great film, and it's the biggest, and best, comic book adaptation in worldwide history, and it's the THIRD BIGGEST FILM EVER......HOWEVER, it's REALLY THE BIGGEST! You see, it might have made 1.5 billion dollars, becoming the third highest-grossing film ever, but it's definitely the biggest film in terms of fans and have higher and more appreciated positivity (as a film that both fans of comic books and films love...).

10/10.

Amazing Movie!

Author: Ryan
3 June 2014

This is by far one of the best superhero movies I have ever seen. The Avengers has a simple, but very involved plot. Loki, Thor's evil brother, tries to take over the Earth with an army of aliens called the Chitauri. S.H.I.E.L.D., Led by Director Fury, is charged with stopping him. They attempt to unite several of the world's most talented individuals in order to accomplish such an impossible feat. This is called the Avengers Initiative.

The Avengers:

Natasha Romanov/Black Widow: Highly trained agent close combat specialist

Hawkeye: the best aim with a bow that anyone has ever seen Tony Stark/Iron Man: Genius in a suit of high tech body armor Steve Rodgers/Captain America: super-soldier from WWII, frozen in ice for seventy years after defeating HYDRA.

Bruce Banner/Hulk: Gamma Radiation Scientist that becomes a giant indestructible green rage monster when he gets too angry.

Thor: Asgardian God of Thunder wields a War hammer known as Mjölnir.

These heroes have a rough time working together. It isn't until after a major tragedy that they become willing to work together to stop Loki. A major theme of this movie is definitely the importance of teamwork. Not one of these heroes could of done this alone (except maybe the Hulk). It took all of them to be strong enough to defeat the Chitauri, get back the Tesseract and save the city.

Tony Stark was definitely the most dynamic character. He somehow managed to turn down his ego in order to work with the other Avengers. He wasn't the only one, though. Thor went through some changes when he faced his brother again. Bruce Banner learned to control the Hulk a little better. Director Fury never changes, though. He is still as cold and protocol driven as the day he was first introduced to Marvel fans.

The one thing I don't like about The Avengers is that it starts off a little too slow. After Loki steals the Tesseract, it takes a long time for the movie to pick up again. A large portion of the beginning of the film is just a bunch of random dialogue with a few plot points thrown in.

Other than the slow start, The Avengers is an amazing sci-fi superhero movie with plenty of action and a plot that actually has some depth. It's an all-around wonderful movie and is definitely worth watching.

So awesomely amazingly epic there are no words to describe.

Author: Lissie Yard from United Kingdom
12 December 2013

When I first watched this, I had never really been that into Marvel films so I didn't really know what was what. I hadn't previously watched Iron man, Iron man 2, Thor or any hulk movie. So I do suggest watching them first.

But when I did watch it, I was so totally mind blown by the pure amazement in how awesome this film was that I became a right Marvel nerd...

Marvel's Avengers Assembel I one of the most amazing films I have ever seen in my life and would definitely suggest watching it. This movie makes the most awesome gift and would make anyone smile.

Big Loud Messy Entertainment

Author: Floated2
10 December 2013

The Avengers was very well waited among Marvel comic book fans and general superhero fans. When it comes to delving deeply into the minds or motivations of the film's other, previously established heroes, he abstains all together. And maybe that's for the best. Even with 2 hours and 24 minutes to kill, there's precious little time for him to offer remedial courses in Marvel mythology. Those who haven't done their homework and watched the previous films still should be able to follow the basics, but they almost certainly will be left scratching their heads from time to time.

In the mix among stars doing battle are Scarlett Johansson, who plays the Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as archery expert Hawkeye. There were a lot of high expectations for this film and on many levels it delivers, while on few others it disappoints. Since writer-director Joss Whedon was dealing with so many big-name stars, like Robert Downey Jr., who reprises his role as Iron Man, Gwenyth Paltrow as Pepper Potts and Mark Ruffalo, who takes over the role of Dr. Bruce Banner a.k.a. the Hulk, there's just not enough screen time to fit everyone adequately in.

For those who have kept up with it, though, The Avengers is a nice payoff to a sprawling and ambitious filmmaking strategy, and one whose blueprint can be counted on to change the way major studios approach their superhero franchises for years to come.

Exists to get your money

Author: Wes64 from United States
7 December 2013

I can enjoy stupid movies. The problem with Avengers is that not only is it stupid, but it is stupid in a smug, fan-centric way.

The Avengers panders to audience members who already like the Marvel superheroes, but fails to interest other people like me because it assumes that the audience is already enamored with its characters. It therefore skips out on a lot of plot and character development in favor of useless bickering. The plot itself is bare-bones and hackneyed. It involves an arbitrary plot device being stolen by an arbitrary villain and his arbitrary army, and an arbitrarily assembled group of superheroes arbitrarily termed "The Avengers" (but without anything significant to avenge) stopping him. It obfuscates its storytelling clichés with incessant character bickering and fighting seemingly put just so people can answer "Who would win if X and Y fought?"

In short, it is tailor-made to please existing fans. It offers no insight into its genre, nor anything of interest beyond endless one-liners and brawls. This is a film secure in its knowledge that it will be a success. It is made to make money and sell action figures.

Yes, I get the concept of escapism. This is what I go to movies for. But this movie is devoid of inspiration, almost mechanical in its plot progression. Some movies are endearingly bad or "hilariously inept". This movie is insulting in its presumption that I will find it entertaining and witty. It's irritating in its smugness and disappointing in its lack of development and originality. Marvel wants your money and this film is the best way to grab it - and it doesn't even need a plot or logic.

Let's be Honest Here...

Author: ax viking1
10 November 2013

This picture was the highest grossing film of 2012 and was raved about and spoke highly of. however in my opinion this movie was heavily overrated and didn't really offer anything groundbreaking or worth while.

The films story is weak to say the least and is presented in the form of "Here you go, here it is". The main plot for this film is Loki has somehow come back from the dead and has joined forces with an alien race called the Chitauri to take over the Earth with the stolen Tesseract. So with Hawkeye and Selvig brainwashed and kidnapped, S.H.I.E.L.D's base destroyed there is no other option but to begin the Avengers initiative. That's it.

This story might not sound to bad, which in reality it doesn't even though being a bit simple. The reason I think the story is weak is because there are so many plot holes, which are never explained or expanded on. Examples of these plot holes are:

-How did Loki can come back from the dead? -How did Thor return from Asgard to Earth? -The inconsistency of how the Hulk can control his anger -Why was it when Iron Man throws the nuclear missile into the rift where the Chitauri mother ship is, it kills every Chitauri warrior on Earth? -(Picky one) How are the Avengers actually talking to each other when none of them are actually wearing earpieces?

The film's start is very under looked because of the good climax. To be honest the start is actually boring and not compelling at all. This is why I think this film is heavily overrated as people only remember the very well done battle scene.

So they're the major issues with the films however there are some positives. All of the actors perform very well, especially Tom Hiddleston as Loki but with the exception of Jeremy Renner's portrayal of Hawleye, which was very dull and boring. Action sequences are handled well but sometimes cam across repetitive and didn't offer anything new or exciting. The Special effects and CGI was very good and didn't look bad or too unrealistic. The film's pay off is also very satisfying.

I can only hope that in the upcoming Avengers 2: Age of Ultron they can add something new or compelling.