IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 172: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

One of the best comic book movies i've ever seen.

Author: nick-asaro
17 August 2012

What can I say about the Avengers that everyone else hasn't already said? Well, believe the hype! it's great! why? well numerous reasons. One of them is the director they chose for the job of bringing one of the most iconic super teams in comics to life.Joss Whedon has showed time and time again that he knows about both the Marvel Universe (see his run on Astonishing X-men) and Team dynamics(See Firefly or any of his other works)and he works his magic to the max here. another reason is the great cast. while all good, two performances really stand out to me. The first one is Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk and the second one is Tom Hiddleston as Loki. While I enjoyed Ed Norton's Banner, I felt something was missing from him, Likability. Mark Ruffalo had Likability. Tom Hiddleston's Loki was a great villain that really had that sinister aura about him and he's better here than he was in Thor. Another Reason is the action. Not only does the final scene have An epic battle that rivals Robots trashing Chicago in Transformers 3 (This is way cooler) But other great action scenes come throughout the movie. one of my favorites is the scene at the beginning where Loki steals the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube and takes down a whole bunch of S.H.I.E.L.D agents including Nick Fury and Hawkeye. Also, The plot is fairly simplistic but what really makes this movie shone is the character dynamics. So final verdict: possibly the best movie of the summer of 2012. Assemble and go see it.

My boyhood dream has been realised.

Author: SillyRaccoon from United Kingdom
12 August 2012

I have been waiting for an Avengers movie for well over a decade and when I found out that it was even in the pipeline I was beside myself with excitement. I went to see the movie with somewhat high expectations due to the cast involved and the previous Marvel movies building up to this title. I have to say that it completely surpassed my expectations and I was amazed throughout the entire movie.

I attended the screening in 3D and I honestly have no idea why people had anything bad to say about the 3D in this movie as it was quite brilliant.

For me, the underrated characters in the movie are Black Widow and Hawkeye. I felt that these characters were portrayed perfectly by Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner. I also felt that we have finally found a perfect actor in Mark Ruffalo to play The Hulk. The two actors that have recently played Bruce Banner/The Hulk have been pretty good but both seemed to be lacking in something but I could never put my finger on it. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and The Hulk.

Overall this movie is filled with all the required thrills and spills and is a first class action movie. It also has a great mixture of comedic value and a deal of seriousness.

I can see exactly why there has been a massive explosion of potential Marvel movies in the pipeline and I cannot wait to see what the sequel could bring. I feel that Hawkeye and Black Widow could definitely have their own movies if not a movie where they are working together. I also hope that the people at Marvel and Disney have identified Mark Ruffalo's great ability to play Bruce Banner/The Hulk in such a great way and maybe look into rebooting the entire franchise.

I would highly recommend this movie across all age ranges as there is something for everyone. I also cannot wait for this movie to come out on blu-ray.

Avengers Assemble Most Adroitly

Author: Ed Uyeshima from San Francisco, CA, USA
3 June 2012

Unless you are the sort of cinematic snob who can only appreciate avant-garde short subjects in tiny projection rooms, then chances are pretty good that you'll have a rollicking good time watching this 2012 megawatt adventure epic. I certainly did, and I wouldn't consider myself a die-hard Marvel comic book fan. I enjoyed the derring-do and ironic humor that infused the comic book films preceding this one, but director/screenwriter Joss Whedon really whips together all the formula elements that made "Iron Man" (1 & 2), "The Incredible Hulk" (the 2008 version), "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger" purely entertaining into something that miraculously makes the larger-than-life dimensions of the superheroes more instantly relatable. A top-notch cast certainly helps as does the armada of technicians who pull off the effects in all their 3-D, eye-popping glory, of course, but much of the credit really needs to go to Whedon for making this film as much fun as a comic book.

Running a surprisingly fleet 143 minutes, the potentially convoluted plot allows Nick Fury, a character heretofore limited to tantalizing post-credits scenes in the previous movies, to take center stage. He's the surly one-eyed leader of S.H.I.E.L.D., the peacekeeping agency who must quickly recruit a team of superheroes to do battle with Loki, the deceitful half-brother of Thor, the Norse deity of thunder. Loki has brainwashed archer supreme Hawkeye and brilliant physicist Dr. Erik Selvig (already seen in "Thor") while stealing a cosmic cube called the Tesseract, a powerful energy source of seemingly limitless potential, from a remote research facility. Fury recruits Black Widow, a former Russian spy last seen in action in "Iron Man 2", to gather the troops including a highly reticent Bruce Banner a.k.a. the Hulk. Meanwhile, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor have to learn to get along before facing the enemy.

Loki turns out to be the least of their problems as the Tesseract unleashes a powerful alien race known as the Chitauri, which leads to the inevitable battle royale on the devastated streets of Manhattan. While the state-of-the-art action scenes are everything you want them to be, it's really the film's unexpected sense of humor that consistently buoys the story. Realizing the escalating level of implausibility, Whedon smartly provides clever lines and scenes to everyone (and not just Robert Downey, Jr.) For instance, after Thor proclaims Loki solemnly as his Asgardian brother, Black Widow points out that he killed eighty people in two days to which Thor points out Loki was adopted. Later, in the most crowd-pleasing scene, the Hulk grabs a character by his leg and whip-slams him into the floor like he's beating a dust rag. The defiance of logic and physics is par for the course here, and Whedon's kid-like attitude and deft hand make it all the more exhilarating.

The physically fit cast work surprisingly well together as an ensemble. While Downey's scene-stealing as Iron Man is a given, Chris Evans' Captain America, Chris Hemsworth's Thor, Mark Ruffalo's digitally altered Hulk, Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye all get their moments to shine. As Loki, Tom Hiddleston effectively conveys the inferiority complex that drives his villain with slithery cunning, while Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg take full advantage of expanded roles as Fury and Agent Coulson respectively. The mistake most filmmakers make in showing an Armageddon situation is applying too much soul-baring gravitas to the proceedings. That's definitely not Whedon's take as he never lets us forget that we are watching a comic book come to life. It's gratifying to watch a popcorn movie that actually lives up to the hype in all its commercial glory.

We couldn't have hoped for a better The Avengers movie!

Author: theonewithallthecontacts from Denmark
7 January 2013

The Avengers is one of these rare movies where it lives up to all the tons of hype it has gotten! It has made over 1.5 billion dollars, and it has received high praise from both fans and critics. And the success of this movie is very well deserved! The really great thing about this movie doesn't come from all the action, humor or visual effects... It is to see all these characters interact with each other in one room! Joss Whedon truly was the man for the job, and he impresses once again with his ability to portray each character as meaningful as the other. Everybody counts! There isn't one hero, but six of them! And they are all relevant and meaningful, plus all their character development is superb... All of them! Whedon has my full respect!

The visual effects in this movie are out of this world! It really is spectacular and a joy to watch! The cinematography is likewise beautiful in this movie! But in the technical department all my praise and full respect goes to Alan Silvestri! His score for this movie blew me away! Especially, the "Avengers Assemble" tune! No gripes from me in the technical department!

As for the cast they are all terrific! Robert Downey Jr. is easily my favorite and probably the funniest in this movie! Mark Ruffalo makes the best Bruce Banner aka "The Hulk" to date, with a serious and human, yet comedic performance! Chris Evans is still quite good as Captain America. As far as performances go, this guy is probably the weakest. But he's still an awesome actor! Chris Hemsworth isn't a remarkable actor either, but he has nice charisma and fits the role as Thor! Scarlett Johansson is smoking hot and sexy, and much more relevant than she was in Iron Man 2! Jeremy Renner was just pure badass Agent Clint Barton aka Hawkeye! Samuel L. Jackson was epic and badass in the role of Nick Fury! Tom Hiddleston isn't exactly a really strong or serious villain. Mostly he just feels like a comic relief. But Hiddleston can act, and he's got a few agonizing scenes! Stellan Skarsgård and Cobie Smulders is also good in their supporting roles!

I've chosen to judge this movie with what it is: a fantastic superhero-movie! And for that, it has to get a 10 for me! We couldn't have hoped for a better Avengers movie! I'm already looking forward to Avengers 2!

Fun movie, easy to watch

Author: (hallerdupe@yahoo.com)
7 December 2012

I went into this movie with high expectations being a comic junkie and was not let down. Although it has some major plot holes ( Thors arrival, Hulk finding his way to the battle, selvick building a safety in the portal, etc.) and not the most original plot it still manages to completely satisfy me. When I go into a movie, I use six main things for rating a movie....... 1.Is it engaging from the start? 2. Are the characters interesting? 3. Is the acting good. 4. Are the effects quality? 5. Is the plot good? 6. How much would I want to watch it again?

The constant action through the film manages to keep you entertained and the good actors and special effects make this movie easy to watch. Throughout the movie there is this sense that no (major) character will die, and it brilliantly replaces the feeling that they will all live happily ever after with a fun sense of comedy and a spring in its step. This movie is by no means perfect, but it effectively manages to keep you on your toes and makes you want to watch it again and again. I may have some bias based on my love of superheroes, but I definitely recommend this movie.

Attack of the creatures of another dimension

Author: tommister from Finland
30 August 2012

I am a big fan of science fiction. I have not been such a big fan of all movies based on comic books. I am not such a big fan of sequels either. The Avengers was a must-see-film for me, for several reasons, but most of all, I enjoyed both Iron Men, Captain America, and a bit of Thor as well. Hulk did not do the trick to me.

The Avengers brings all these superheroes together. Their opponent is Thor's evil half-brother, Loki. His main goal is to get a magical stone, or cube, that would open the gateway to another dimension, to Asgard, where other, even more evil forces await to be released, and freed to the world of the humans.

The action in the film, along with the SFX, is great. However, the storyline is not something you have not seen or heard before. Actually, there is very little new to the film. Also the decision to get all the superheroes or stars together, does not really differ much from Expendables, which is somewhat huge phenomenon, even though the script could be written by a 12-year-old.

The Avengers is a lot better than Expendables, but that does not mean, it is a whole lot better, and that it would be better than, lets say Iron Man. For me Iron Man alone stands above The Avengers. The film does not come better with bigger explosions, and a lot more heroes, than in the original film. But obviously, with fans of the 80's stars in Expendables, it is enough to bring them all on the screen at once.

What I truly enjoyed in this film was actually a few parts of the action. The one with Thor dropping out from the sky, or the parts in the end, with the heroes pretty much destroying most of the city-site.

All in all, it is certainly a-must-see for the fans of comic stars, science fiction, and action. I enjoyed, but not that much, that I would recommend it to everybody.

Short Version: Go out and Watch it!

Author: Chris ****** from United States
28 August 2012

I can't really say anything that anyone else hasn't said about this film. Go out and watch it and you'll love it. Best film of the year so far. That's all I really have to say about this movie.

Basic Details to mention would be that the CGI is pretty good but can still stick out a bit easily. Another thing to mention is that it can be a little long for people under the age of 13. Also I don't care how old your kid is or how much they would want to see this film. Do not take them to it or rent it (when it's released on DVD and Blu-ray) until they're thirteen. I've seen enough people take them to this movie ignoring the ratings and then getting p*ss*d off that their child is only 8 1/2 years old.

Marvel superhero masterpiece

Author: filmfan1991 from Michigan
26 August 2012

One simple word AMAZING. everything from past MARVEL movies since Iron Man have led up to this great crossover movie with great heroes such as Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk and others. The story is epic, suspenseful and fun. The action sequences are thrilling and well done with great cg integrated with live action. The characters are great abound with great acting from great actors like Robert Downey, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johanson, and Samuel Jackson. What else can you expect from great writer/director Joss Whedon creator of Buffy and Angel. Even if you are not a fan of comic books, go see this movie as a excellent way to kick off summer vacation. 10 out of 10 stars

Obsessed

Author: alexstinks from United Kingdom
20 August 2012

Amazing! I am completely and utterly obsessed with this film1 It is brilliant! I feel the ratio of humour/action is perfect! I love that it has a good number of jokes because I can't normally stand too much action, action, action I need that humour to break it down a bit. This is it! Of course it also has the eye candy a gal needs - well for me anyhow! - Loki! He's just perfection in every single way. Tom Hiddleston is my favourite British actor. Since I discovered him in Thor I have been hooked and checking out all his other movies. He was fantastic as Loki! I sure hope he's in the sequel!

I've watched this film 4 times in my local cinema. For me it never gets boring! Can't wait for it to come out on DVD because I will definitely buy it! I just love everything about this film!

The Avengers (2012)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
10 June 2012

It's finally here. OH MY GOD. As a big comic fan it's amazing to see how far the genre has come in the last decade. We finally get star studded spin-off featuring a large cast of some of the greatest characters. If you've been living under a rock, then you may not have noticed that over the last five years, Marvel have been churning out their big hitters and building up to The Avengers. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk join forces to stop Thor's brother, Loki and his alien army. Sure, the plot is simple, but that's what we want for a big smackdown. For any team we need a great leader and Marvel have found the best in Joss Whedon. With his familiarity with large ensembles he effortlessly gives every hero their due. He also manages to flesh out characters in very short scenes. We get a sense of Stark and Potts relationship, some back story for Black Widow and Hawkeye, the confusion of Rogers and so forth. He does his best work with Hulk. I've loved every incarnation of the Hulk so far, so I was wary of Ruffalo's performance. He captures it perfectly, going for a more nervous and geeky Banner. When the Hulk is unleashed, Whedon makes sure to not take it too seriously. Hulk gets the biggest laughs in this surprisingly comic film. The action is fantastic, with a number of exciting set pieces. The final battle has so many wonderful character moments immersed in the action, and they really do work as a team. There are a couple of shortcomings. The alien race is just pathetic, and never really feels like a threat. Add to that the whole mother ship destroyed and every alien dies plot convenience. The film lacks any real threat. We hear about the many people Loki kills, but we never see anything that relates to this. Without seeing the sacrifices made it's hard to get too involved. There are also a few moments where characters just happen to show up. These are things that are minor nitpicks. After all, the only way to do a perfect Avengers movie would be to have an unlimited budget and unlimited running time. What it does achieve is simply amazing and very exciting for the future of superhero films.