IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 160: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Solid fun movie

Author: cidliq from California
6 July 2012

THE GOOD- I was truly impressed with how well they pulled this movie off. The visual effects were all very clean. The characters were portrayed by the actors very well. This movie was loaded with action keeping everyone's attention glued to it. I was so impressed, I went to the theater to see it more than once and recommended it to everyone. I was very happy to see most of the actors return to portray their characters in this. THE BAD- Most characters.... The hulk was my big issue here. Mark Rufflo was good with the Bruce Banner character but the graphics for the hulk just did not meet the level of the movie starring Edward Norton. But it was not so bad that I could not look past it and really find enjoyment. I will most definitely go see another installment of Avengers.

AS expected

Author: lmbd2001 from saudi arabia, jubail
4 July 2012

The movie is certainly marvel's best till now and has great effects. Though little childish at times it is very good. As I expected it was one of the best films with descent, comedy parts. The acting was above average and the dialogues were really mind-boggling. It was a bit lengthy but was touching every single minute. The story was very good and the superhero's were described nicely. Bruce Banner very polite when he was not Hulk, Captain America very serious and all that. It was defiantly worth watching and is one of the best superhero films. I am looking ford for the Avengers 2 and I am searching the whole internet for a little glimpse of it.

Review - The Avengers

Author: Kane20 (Kane20290@yahoo.com) from United States
1 July 2012

I saw The Avengers on May 17. Personally, I'm not much of a superhero fan, but I quite enjoyed the movie. In my opinion, The Avengers is a pretty good and entertaining movie, and it's a good theatrical experience. James Berardinelli wrote in his review, "The Avengers kicks ass." I agree.

Over the last few years, five movies have been made - Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America - which have built up to, and became prequels to, The Avengers. There were even things in those movies that hinted at them all being connected, and now this movie confirms it. The Avengers are all assembled in this film: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk, the Black Widow, and Hawkeye. Yes, they're all played by the same actors, and they have the backgrounds that have been established for most of them in the "prequels" mentioned above. The villain in the movie is Loki, who was the villain in Thor, and who now plans on using the Tesseract, a powerful energy cube, to open a portal to another part of the universe and attack the earth with a powerful army. The Avengers are called together by Nick Fury, who runs an agency called S. H. I. E. L. D., and they must stop Loki from carrying out his plans. There's more to the story, but I won't give any more away.

I'm sure there are things that can be criticized about the movie. However, it's really not worth it, given there are so many good things about the movie, and the entire experience is very enjoyable, so I'm not going to bother with an in-depth review/criticism. In a way, the film is sort of critic-proof (for lack of a better term). So here's my advice: don't dissect or overly analyze the movie. Just sit back and enjoy it. That's not to say that it's a total Transformers-like junk movie or anything. It's actually halfway decent.

The actors put on a good performance and really bring out their characters, and the interactions between the characters are good - the gathering of the different superheroes is handled pretty well. The story is pretty solid, and it's coherent and appropriately paced. The visual and special effects and action scenes are great. Alan Silvestri composed an effective score for the movie. Overall, the movie is halfway decent, it's smart, and it's entertaining, and, unlike many junk films like Michael Bay's, it actually allows for sufficient blockbuster emotional involvement, and it has a good, wise balance between story and action/effects. The two-and-a-half hour running length of the movie pretty much zipped by for me. So, while I don't think this movie is great, it's definitely entertaining and worth seeing, and it's a very good theater experience.

My Rating: ***1/2 (out of ****)

Big thumbs up for The Avengers

Author: natcarr-74-27114 from United Kingdom
14 May 2012

Loved this movie, even at almost 3 hours long it didn't drag. Joss Wheddon (Firefly and Buffy) effortlessly out did all of the battle scenes in every Transformer movie with the climatic showdown. there are even two or three seriously laugh out loud moments, mostly concerning The Hulk, but don't worry the film takes itself fairly seriously so you can escape into the story and immerse yourself.

Fans of Ironman, Thor and Captain America will not be disappointed. Every one of the superheroes gets their moment in the sun. And of course, there's Scarlett's character Black Widow. YUM! I'm giving the movie 10/10 (2D HD version) because it's so entertaining and it fulfilled all my expectations. You won't be disappointed.

As far as the format goes though, stick with HD, there wasn't any real 3D moments. If you are hugely into your 3D experience, think twice before paying the extra, there wasn't any stand out 3D moments, but lots of out of focus backgrounds which kinda wasted the small fortune that must have been spent on production. Go HD you'll get a better experience.

Spectacular & Historic

Author: J S from NY
13 May 2012

This film is not only spectacular but its an "historic" superhero feature film at its best. This is worth the wait. Hell, this was worth the wait 7 years ago when it was first developed. Do we really think this will be in development hell? This is The Avengers "EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES!" This is something what has NEVER been done before & Marvel has got there finger on the pulse. In 1998, a minor marvel character featuring a human/vampire hybrid made it way to the big screen. In 2000, a group of mutants evolved into the box office. In 2002, was the year of the Spider.

After Daredevil, Hulk (Ang Lee), The Punisher, Elektra, Man-Thing, Fantastic Four & Ghost Rider, Marvel Studios would start producing its own films and distribute them through Paramount Pictures & the funding will come from a seven-year, $525 million revolving credit facility with Merrill Lynch. The result led to the creation of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe". Sounds cool, right? It was. No, really, It F***in' was. Iron Man made its motion picture debut, The Hulk got rebooted, Thor & Captain America have "FINALLY" got the Big screen treatment. Then came a huge shift in the Marvel universe.... Marvel Entertainment is now owned by Mickey Mouse.

Amazing. Disney let go the Power Rangers franchise & bought Marvel.

But after everything from comics to TV & film Marvel has put out it comes to show just how far they come as a company & knowing the fact that the biggest supporters (including me) are the fans. That is why they CAN NOT Disappoint us. Yeah, we complain about story lines, costumes & special effects, But if they stay true to the comics, the films would have done its justice. But i know deep down, Marvel Studios will always put out films & stay close to the material. So, what i've said earlier, was it worth the wait? Yes. Yes it was "definitely" worth it.

Marvel Studios, the cast & crew of The Avengers did an amazing job & on the Marvel Cinematic Universe & i can't wait to see what comes next.

Now if DC & Warner Bros. step their game up, we would like to see the Justice League into the big screen.

Feel Like A Kid Again - Go See The Avengers!

Author: moviedemon from USA
6 May 2012

I know there's comic book fans that have their favorites. There's also the film fans that have their own favorites. There are also some who are so enamored and in love with The Dark Knight that they will pounce on any film that is considered "better". For me, I've never been a big comic book guy but I do enjoy a good film adaptation of them. I can love The Dark Knight AND Iron Man. I don't have a bias. I enjoy several of these type of films regardless of the company, brand, or filmmaker.

For me, I absolutely love The Avengers. It brought out the little kid in me. At 33, cynical and disgruntled, that's a major compliment. I understand that the film is by no means perfect but it was just so much damn fun. It made me want to buy a costume and play make believe in the backyard again. But again, I'm 33, so I mean that figuratively. I just really had a blast with this and this is the best theater experience I've had since seeing a Star Wars movie. I loved it and can't wait to see it again.

So, for those who have hang-ups about how you don't want to hear its better or more popular than this or that, don't get caught up in that nonsense. Who cares where people rank The Avengers or Iron Man or The Dark Knight or what have you? It doesn't matter. So, just do yourselves the favor of seeing this movie. It is just a boatload of fun.

THE Best Movie of The Decade

Author: Daniel Benham from United Kingdom
12 July 2012

"Did anybody see Inception? I think that was just about the most ambitious movie I've ever seen. And then I thought wait a god damn second… Marvel… Studios is going to take all their top superheroes, and they're going to put them all together in The Avengers. That's the most ambitious movie I've ever seen!" – Robert Downey Jr. (Comic Con 2010)

It may have been the most ambitious movie ever… but boy did they pull it off! There was always a small doubt that The Avengers (2012) may have been a flop for a couple of reasons. The first is the fact that the Captain America (2011) and Iron Man 2 (2010) were slightly lower than the standard of movies Marvel studios had shot out since 2008 when The Incredible Hulk (2008) hit the big screens. Obviously this lower standard must have been due to The Avengers being in production because the film topped my list of favourite films and became number 1, yes, it took over The Dark Knight (2008)!

To read the full review go here: http://www.teknue.com/reviews/review- the-avengersavengers-assemble-2012/852

Action, action, action

Author: psavlax from Los Angeles, CA
6 July 2012

I always like comic based movies and this one did not disappoint. Much action, which is why I watch these movies. There were plenty of Hollywood retard thinking (which I wont mention so not to ruin the people that are not bother by it). Many funny moments and again lots of action. I would of also like if there had been full movies or some more back story on some of the characters but overall the movie was fun to watch. Great use of computer graphics and great sound track. In addition, the plot was not rich (which I think is acceptable in action movies).

Definitely a great movie for anyone that like action flicks.

Simply Perfect

Author: darkraven_109 from Manila, Philippines
28 April 2012

I can not say anything more about THE AVENGERS; the movie just hit all the right spots and a lot more. It didn't only entertain like how a brainless popcorn movie would; it told a great superhero team story.

The characters were written perfectly, the action was spectacular and best of all ever character was a joy to watch. The story had the perfect balance of comedy, action and drama (yes, there's a bit of that too and it's good). It's everything a comic book fan would want out of a comic book adaptation movie.

Every member of the Avengers line-up (whether super powered or not) got the right amount of screen time; if you were like me and thought that Iron Man would get accidentally hog the screen because the trailers made the movie look like "IRON MAN AND FRIENDS," your fears will be washed away. Mark Ruffalo also stole the show as Banner/ The Hulk; if you had a few doubts about him playing the character after Edward Norton was left behind, fear not since he does the job well. I can go as far as saying that Ruffalo is the best incarnation of Banner so far.

Josh Whedon pulled off the impossible; he wrote and directed a perfect comic book adaptation. He created what I consider the best superhero movie so far. He made THE AVENGERS.

To say anything more would be a waste of time. Just go and watch it.

A new benchmark in action Movies!!!

Author: Yogesh Joshi from India
30 April 2012

Action movies will now have a new leader as Avengers assemble by Marvel raises the bar to an entirely new level.

The hype made by Marvel in 2011, by Introducing Thor and Captain America to the audience in quick succession just as a precursor for the Avengers ,is lived up and surpassed with what will be one of the beacons in modern era action movies.

The boasted budget of $220m,is well spent for the movie expectedly satisfies you as a visual treat with what i think,one of the best CG effects.Also,this one does deserve a heads up to be watched in 3D, unlike annoyingly many in the recent past.Though,the first half has a few more than necessary scenes shot in the dark,but it gets better as the movie progresses.

Though the plot is pretty straight-forward,there are so many characters in the movie to keep you entertained in their very own signature fashion.Each and every character is given nearly equal importance and nobody is left out,which is an effort to appreciate. They have really put a lot of efforts in the new Hulk to bring him up to join the party with others,and Boy! it does pay off exceptionally well.Iron Man's powers are tested to a very new level and being the most skilled avenger,they had to be.He has got some new moves, watch out for them!.I am really starting to like Captain America and the way he handles the situation. The time transitioned character of his, adjusts surprisingly quickly to the new scenario.Black Widow and Hawk-Eye who had brushing references in previous movies are full fledged avengers now, but i wish marvel to bring them up in singles.There are a few much needed subtle humorous moments exercising your jaws sideways in between a lot of fantastically choreographed action scenes keeping them dropped down for most of the time.

Bout the cast, Downey Jr. undoubtedly stands out as an actor, with his amazing comic timing and the way he carries the arrogance of Iron-Man. The search for Bruce Banner has ended up giving the most subtle hulk yet,with Mark Ruffalo.The Rest of the cast looks just supportive. Cobie Smulders was supposed to be the eye candy,but Scarlett Johansson steals the show in that aspect, not to mention in her alter-ego superhero moves too.

All in all, an awesome summer blockbuster with wholesome entertainment. The Avengers is surely one of the best action movies to watch before you leave this dimension.