IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 174: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Amazing

Author: rmntrr from Chelmsford, England
11 June 2015

This movie revolutionized the way we imagine comic book movies, DC have a big competition! Although the second one was better this movie this was the original, which in a way means this is better. The villain in this film is of course Loki who was played by Tom Hiddleston who was outstanding, but talking of amazing performances Rdj was as usual a perfect iron-man. The directing of Joss Whedon was ...well there are no words he is a virtual God walking among mere mortals. To sum up great movie, great acting and great directing it's definitely no wonder how it grossed to over 1.5billion! By Roman Torr who is without doubt the biggest marvel fan ever!

Hulk vs Loki.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
3 June 2015

The Avengers (2012): Dir: Joss Whedon / Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson: Here at long last is a combination of comic book superheros brought to the screen to the delight of fans. Hopefully nobody will confuse the title with that crap handed John Steed Emma Peel 1998 film that everyone wanted nothing to do with. Perhaps a title change? We have a host of superheros including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Hulk, Hawkeye, and Black Widow. The villain is Loki of the Thor film and he has a world domination scheme that is every bit as corny as any other world domination scheme. That doesn't matter because viewers will attend to see the combination of powers become a reality. Loki is a great villain and thankfully he is targeted by all of these heroes thus giving us great action sequences. His run-in with the Hulk is especially amusing. Joss Whedon is the right director to bring this spectacular together and the special effects created are explosive. Whedon also gives each cast member a good fair share of time. We have Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark / Iron Man whose sarcasm is a scene stealer. Chris Evans is thawed and ready as Captain America. Chris Hemsworth as Thor sets to bring Loki back to his planet for justice. Mark Ruffalo is terrific filling in as the Hulk whose anger is subdued until fans are given the payoff in full blown green fury. Scarlett Johansson oozes sexiness as Black Widow, a skilled spy trained by S.H.I.E.L.D. Third act descends to action combination of the various talented ensemble that is a thrill. Score: 9 / 10

One of the greatest films ever!

Author: rlowry89 from United States
15 February 2015

This is truly an incredible movie! The actors were all on point and did a great job, I did miss Edward Norton in the film but mark ruffalo definitely won me over and was very pleased with his work in this film. I recommend this movie to anyone looking for a action packed film full of drama and chaos! Robert Downey Jr. Is probably my favorite actor and if not he's very high on my list but the commitment and work put in from the entire crew of production and filming members is one for the books. I'm really looking toward to seeing a second part to this movie and I'm very confident when I say that I know it will be great! If you know anything about any of these comic book heroes then I'm sure you didn't need to see any movies such as the Iron Man trilogy, Thor, Captain America, or the Hulk to understand this film... But having seen all of those leading up to the avengers is what made this movie incredible, the investment and work put in by everyone just amazes me. Keep up the good work marvel!

Avengers is Mighty Comic Book Fun

Author: William Samuel from United States
6 December 2014

Between a massive advertising blitz and some none-too-subtle hints that Marvel has been dropping in their films for the last four years, Joss Whedon's Avengers adaptation is one of the most eagerly anticipated blockbusters in recent memory. With most of Marvel's flagship characters- played by some of Hollywood's biggest stars- assembled together in a big budget production co-written and directed by the man responsible for Buffy and Firefly, the premise alone is enough to make fanboys swoon. This is a project with some very high expectations to meet. And having seen it, I for one would say that it has met them.

It would not be much of a stretch to say that the Avengers is what every summer blockbuster wants to be. Given a few hundred million dollars and near total creative control, what director wouldn't want to make a film like this. In its two and a half hour running time, it delivers a coherent storyline, several likable, well developed protagonists, and enough action and explosions to show up Michal Bay.

I mention this notorious director because his Transformers films, particularly the latter entries, have made millions on the idea that brainless fight scenes, gratuitous pyrotechnics, and more than a little T&A are all it takes to make an action movie; no acting, writing, wit, or originality needed. But Avengers shows that that's not true. Like a certain other superhero franchise due to release its final installment later this summer, Avengers works as much because of its human drama as its action and special effects.

One of the main reasons the Fantastic Four movies didn't work, aside from weak screenplays and wooden acting, was that we never bought the idea that the actors on screen were a team. In the first film, they utterly lacked the kind of chemistry that would be expected of friends and co-workers. In the second entry, the chemistry was so forced that they seemed like a sitcom family. Avengers suffers from neither of these problems. Chris Evens, Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downy Junior, Scarlett Johansen, Samuel L Jackson, and Mark Ruffalo not only shine on their own, but also work seamlessly together as part of a team, playing of each other's strengths and personalities.

Between Stark's cynicism, casual arrogance, and roguish charm, Cap's loyalty and earnestness, Banner's demur, unobtrusive nerdiness, and Thor's zeal and new found humility, all of the leads get the chance to establish themselves as well rounded characters, and to remind us why we liked them in the first place. And like a real team, the characters don't always get along from the moment they first meet. They keep secrets. They question each others' motivations and commitments. They get on each others' nerves. And they certainly let their egos clash. In fact, some of the best fight scenes are between the heroes. But like real people, they put aside their differences and their egos. They learn to trust each other and work together, in a way not nearly as sappy or clichéd as it suddenly sounds when I'm writing it.

The casting of Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury continues to seem like a better and better idea all the time. He might not be able to go all out, what with this being a PG-13 production, but there were moments that, for me at least, very much invoked fond memories of Pulp Fiction. Tom Hiddleston also does very good work as the villainous Loki. His air of condescension and supreme self confidence makes him instantly loathable, and the hint of jealousy and subtle desperation in his voice, together with his piercing, wide eyed stare gives the unmistakable impression that something is definitely not right inside his head. Watching the heroes give him the beating he deserves is a supremely satisfying experience.

And like I said, the action is great too. The numerous fights and shootouts are excellently choreographed and filmed, and the climactic alien invasion is stunning in its size and complexity. It's like a non-sucky Battlefield LA, and the cost must have been astronomical. I'm also highly impressed at how long the film was able to keep the action and sense of excitement going. From start to finish, the final battle lasted roughly half an hour, without getting bogged down or becoming overly repetitive.

Add in some typically Whedon-esque humor and a fair number of insider references to the comics, Avengers is mighty entertainment, and everything that fans could have hoped for. I look forward to Marvel's inevitable follow-up, and to the director's next project. I don't know why it's taken so long, but Joss Whedon has finally arrived in Hollywood, and I expect to see much more of him in the near future.

One Of Marvel's Best !!!

Author: KalKenobi83 from Rock Springs, Wyoming
5 September 2014

Watched The Avengers Starring Chris Evans(Push) as Steve Rogers/Captain America, Robert Downey(Sherlock Holmes) as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth(Star Trek) as Thor, Mark Ruffalo(Shutter Island)as Bruce Banner/The Hulk, Scarlett Johansson (The Prestige) as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow , Jeremy Renner(The Hurt Locker) as Clint Barton, The Lovely Cobie Smulders(How I Met Your Mother) as Agent Hill ,Clark Gregg(Iron Man)as Agent Phil Coulson , Tom Hiddleston(War Horse) as Loki and Samuel L. Jackson(Star Wars) as Nick Fury. one of the most memorable films from the Opening Of The film and to the credits,The film is laced with high octane action,a bit comedy and some very intuitive drama. this is marvel best due to the fact that all the actors play up to there parts and no just one of them steals the show it is brilliant also amazing Direction from Joss Whedon(Serenity) costume design from Alexandra Byrne(The Phantom Of The Opera) & Amazing Score from Alan Silvestri(Back To The Future) this film has stood the test of time even with films film will always be One the best from Marvel. 10/10

A Marvelous Movie Indeed

Author: syedsajjad1514 from Pakistan
1 September 2014

When I watched Iron Man 2, Captain America: The first Avenger, Thor, I wished I could see them together in a single movie. But to me it seemed impossible at that time until 2012 when I was marveled to see the trailer of the Avengers. As I watched the movie, it was a dream come true. The reason it seemed impossible to me was that its hard to accommodate so many signature heroes in a single 2.5 hour movie, but Marvel did a really amazing job. First off all the movie is a sequel to 4 or 6 movies (Hulk (2003) and Iron man if you want to add),and is prequel to 3+ movies plus a TV series. Second Marvel delivered very well. Every hero was at first a sole hero but gradually they ended being a team. Every hero had his own story plus a part in the team. How the team came together was also so heartwarming and how they helped each other. Every hero was greatly portrayed with great graphics, loads of action,comedy,thrill, and a great feast for comic fans and non-comic fans both.

Perfect Summer Entertainment

Author: kgaillard from United States
30 August 2014

Now that I reviewed all of the movies that tied into The Avengers, I am now going to review the movie. So now, lets get started.

S.H.I.E.L.D. attempted to control the Tesseract. However, the attempt brings Loki to our world who takes the Tesseract. Loki wants to open up a portal to lead an alien invasion known as the Chitauri. Director Nick Fury brings Tony Stark/Iron Man, Dr. Bruce Banner/Hulk, Steve Rogers/Captain America, Thor Odinson, as well as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow and Cliff Barton/Hawkeye all together, in order to protect Earth from Loki and the Chitauri.

The story is very simple and clichéd, but I don't mind that at all, because I like these characters and I like seeing them talk to each other. The actors do great jobs portraying their characters and show chemistry. Robert Downey Jr., once again, does a perfect job playing Tony Stark/Iron Man, who doesn't play well with others, but still relates to them. Mark Ruffalo does a great job playing Bruce Banner/Hulk, who is calmer and now wants to help people. Chris Evans does a great job playing Steve Rogers/Captain America who is trying to adapt to the modern world after being frozen for 70 years. Chris Hemsworth also does a great job playing Thor who is determined to bring Loki to justice. Scarlet Johansson does great job as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. Jeremy Renner is in the same category as Cliff Barton/Hawkeye. Tom Hiddleston easily steals the show as Loki.

The action sequences are really awesome to look at and the effects are really impressive to look at, such as the city destruction at the end.

Overall, Marvel's The Avengers is one of the greatest superhero films ever made. It has everything that makes a great movie in general. Watch this movie. I don't care how you watch it just do it.

MY GRADE: A (9.5/10)

The Avengers

Author: luckysahani from India
18 August 2014

The Avengers : As Thor's hammer smashes the ground causing huge ripples in the earth, The Avengers' smashing action blows your mind as it leaves a deep impact on you, way after the film is over. One of the most awaited films of the year, The Avengers is everything you'd expect from a awesome superhero- get-together film. After Loki steals the infinitely powerful Tesseract from Nick Fury, the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. puts together the group that he's had in the works for years. Gathering Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow, the team of "The Avengers" takes on Loki and his army to save the world. The Avengers does not fall short of anything. Stunts, story, performances, humour, just everything in the right proportion. Humour is in abundance but no way does it make the film spoof-like. You feel for the characters, which makes the film a roller coaster ride you don't want to miss out on! Do not compare it to The Dark Knight - Nolan's Batman movies, there is nothing dark or twisted about The Avengers, it's a feel-good fun film.

Superhero movie gold... it doesn't get any better than this.

Author: TheAvenger95 from South Africa
11 August 2014

The plot was great. It's simple enough for normal movie goers to follow, yet complex enough for the fans who've been following the continuity to go "oh yeah! This ties-in with this, and this relates to that!". Whedon really pulled it off well, considering this could have gone a 100 ways wrong. The pacing was also exceptional (something the other 5 movies never really mastered) Very few questions are left unanswered by the end. It really is a good, well rounded story from start to finish. Don't expect too many easter eggs or cameos, because to be honest, there were almost none. As a fan-boy, I'm a little disappointed, but at the same time, I fully understand that they didn't want another IM2.

The characters all shine. There is no "star of the movie" (and if I absolutely HAD to pick.. I'd have to go with Banner/Hulk). Every single character gets his/her moment(s). I do have a lot more to say about each individual actor/actress and their respective character, but I wouldn't want to spoil any of the amazing and surprising character moments. I will say this though: the acting from some of the guys/gals were FAR better than I could ever have imagined, and the actors of whom I was expecting great things, weren't as good as I thought they'd be (I did have unfairly high expectations for them though)

The action: every fight sequence is straight out of a comic book. You'll see scenes that will immediately make you realize: the guy who made this movie is a flat out, comic book geek. Whedon knew exactly what the fans wanted and put it all in there. Every single fight sequel has a great flow as well - it feels so real (and keep in mind, you'll be seeing Iron Man go up against a god of thunder - so when I say it looks/feels real, I mean it) The stunts are extremely well choreographed and it becomes clear that a lot of them were done by the actors themselves, which I find very impressive. The CGI was incredible. Some of the stills and trailers had a few cartoony shots, but it all looks amazing on the big screen. If you stick through the credits, you wouldn't be surprised at the amount of people it took to make this movie come to life visually.

The dialog and humor... well, what can be said: It's Joss Whedon. It was fantastic. The only dialog that didn't impress me was some of the stuff with Nick Fury (there was also a certain scene with Cap and Stark from the trailers that's been changed, and IMO it didn't really work as well as the original version). I was beginning to feel a little worried that TA would be TOO funny after reading some of the reviews on RT, but it wasn't so. I'll admit, Whedon walked a fine line and it almost ended up being a comedy, but luckily (I think) he maintained the balance... The movie was freakin hilarious though ;)

The score was impressive as well. Alan Silvestri composed a heroic orchestra of sounds that just makes you want to start cheering. That said, a few of the songs were a bit too reminiscent of Cap:TFA (which I found a little lazy), but for the most part, the overall score is great (as I'm typing this, I'm still whistling the "Avengers Theme").

The 3D: I thought it was pretty good. It's not necessary that you go see it in 3D, but I'd encourage you to do so. It did add depth to the movie and when you're watching what is (arguably) some of the best fight/battle sequences ever captured on film, you'll be wishing that you could get the full experience. Some of the scenes (very few) were a bit dark/blurry though - but overall, coming from a guy that doesn't really like 3D, I'd say spend the extra few bucks. It's not everyday that the Avengers assemble on the big screen.

All-in-all The Avengers was amazing. It's definitely my favorite comic book movie of all time now, and easily one of the top 10 movies I've ever seen. It delivers on all accounts and only has a few, very minor flaws. One of the best aspects of the movie is that it's a roller-coaster ride: it's lighthearted, VERY intense, and then lighthearted again. It's unexpected and I never knew what was coming next. it's funny and serious, often almost at the same time - I was a little exhausted after watching it ;) Don't underestimate the Avengers: while it is mostly an action/adventure movie, it's definitely NOT just another "mindless popcorn flick". It does have a sense of depth that I wasn't expecting and the characters do evolve and make you care even more than their solo movies did. Instant classic IMO. 5 out of 5 and it goes without saying, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Flawlessly Assembled

Author: drawlife from United States
1 August 2014

A lot of comic-book fans including myself have wondered how can having six larger than life superheroes in one film possibly work? Will they be distributed with the right amount of screen time? Can there be a cohesive story to tell? Will there be plenty of action and visuals? The list of questions goes on and on.

Fortunately I can tell you that the hardcore fanboys can put their pitchforks down as writer and director Joss Whedon pulls off a magnificent achievement by bringing the right amount of stability in this superhero circus, engineered to please the fanboys and nonfans alike.

The film has a simple storyline, but it's very well-paced filled with adrenaline and streams very nicely. However, it's not the story that makes the film so great, but rather the characters instead. The script written by Joss Whedon never forgets its heroes' humanity as the film explores each characters with a lot of depth with reasons for doing why they're doing what they're doing. The story reconnects us with each character but also finds the time to flesh out each characters strengths and weaknesses, with some wonderful moments of insecurity throughout.

Loki, the film's villain is brilliantly portrayed by Tom Hiddleston as a cunning, mischievous, and evil mastermind. Chris Evans solidifies his role as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth portrays a more noble, less arrogant Thor. Mark Ruffalo one of the characters I was worried about during the hype train of this film, went beyond my expectations. He delivers a new kind of Bruce Banner and I would argue the Hulk steals this film. There's also a lovely banter between Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye and Scarlet Johansson's Black Widow, Whedon treats them with respect and they do earn their place in the team. As for Robert Downey Jr., well do I really need to tell you he's awesome as always?

Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury is finally able to stretch his legs than being just the guy making surprise appearances as he is able to slide into the role quite effortlessly. Clark Gregg's Agent Coulson returns and provides sharp dialog in the film. Cobie Smulders also makes her Marvel film debut as Agent Maria Hill who is Nick Fury's second in command.

The visuals are great, as expected, the overall look of the Hulk is very impressive. I loved how ILM modeled it to look like a mixture of Mark Ruffalo, and Jack Kirby's interpretation in the comics.

We get a lot of action beats, and a good amount of time is spent on having the heroes talk trash and square off against each other to prove who's the toughest. There's Iron Man vs. Thor, Hawkeye vs. Black Widow, Thor vs. Hulk, and so on. These showdowns allow each character to have their time in the spotlight, and they do build genuine tension. The last 20- 30 minutes of this film is worth the ticket itself. Whedon provides plenty of jaw-dropping action sequences.

Though this is a comic-book film, there is a great sense of subtlety and the film explores that. Let's be honest, in many different ways, this movie should not have worked at all. There are too many larger than life characters to juggle and quite frankly it's ridiculous. Joss Whedon's brilliant script has a strong and unique theme of family dynamics. Ultimately these people don't belong together and the whole movie is about finding themselves from community. While doing so they not only realize that they belong together but they need each other. Obviously this is expressed through punching, but that essence is the heart of the film.

As a comic-book fan I went into The Avengers with unfairly high expectations, due to all the people who were involved in the project as well as the films that came before. Give massive credit to Joss Whedon and Kevin Feige. The Avengers is a visual spectacle, but it's also a film with brains and heart. At a running-time of two and a half hours, the film is well paced and time flies by. So in every regard, the movie fulfills its hype and raises the bar even higher for Marvel and other superhero films to come and my childhood is avenged.