IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 173: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

"The Avengers" (2012)

Author: dee.reid from United States
9 July 2012

As you well know by now, "The Avengers" is a large-scale superhero film that was four years in the making, with no less than four individual - yet inter-connected superhero films - feeding into this film's overall story. Joss "Firefly" Whedon was the director and co-writer on this highly ambitious project that is an adaptation of the Marvel Comics superhero team co-created by Stan Lee (who also appears in a very small cameo, like almost every other movie adaptation of a superhero he had a hand in creating) and the late Jack Kirby. Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans), Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Natasha Romanoff/The Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson), and Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) are the six misfits chosen by Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Samuel L. Jackson) to defeat the traitorous Asgardian misfit Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and his alien army from laying waste to New York City. And of course, six characters usually accustomed to working alone have to work out their differences and come together as a team to save the world. What gets "The Avengers" many points is that beside its big action sequences, fights and special effects, we never really lose sight of the characters (who are usually relegated to the background in a movie like this) and who they are. I liked that the movie actually spent time developing the individual characters so that we get to know them all over again - even though they've all already appeared in previous superhero films. It's all big superhero fun, with a knowing wink and an outstanding sense of humor that manages to elicit some strong laughs from anyone viewing this thing with an open mind. Sit back and enjoy!

P.S.: What happened to Dr. Henry "Hank" Pym/Giant-Man and Janet van Dyne/The Wasp? Weren't they part of the original Avengers team line-up (before "The Avengers #4" when Captain America became team leader, marking the character's Silver Age debut)? This was my only real complaint about "The Avengers."

Feel Like A Kid Again - Go See The Avengers!

Author: moviedemon from USA
6 May 2012

I know there's comic book fans that have their favorites. There's also the film fans that have their own favorites. There are also some who are so enamored and in love with The Dark Knight that they will pounce on any film that is considered "better". For me, I've never been a big comic book guy but I do enjoy a good film adaptation of them. I can love The Dark Knight AND Iron Man. I don't have a bias. I enjoy several of these type of films regardless of the company, brand, or filmmaker.

For me, I absolutely love The Avengers. It brought out the little kid in me. At 33, cynical and disgruntled, that's a major compliment. I understand that the film is by no means perfect but it was just so much damn fun. It made me want to buy a costume and play make believe in the backyard again. But again, I'm 33, so I mean that figuratively. I just really had a blast with this and this is the best theater experience I've had since seeing a Star Wars movie. I loved it and can't wait to see it again.

So, for those who have hang-ups about how you don't want to hear its better or more popular than this or that, don't get caught up in that nonsense. Who cares where people rank The Avengers or Iron Man or The Dark Knight or what have you? It doesn't matter. So, just do yourselves the favor of seeing this movie. It is just a boatload of fun.

THE Best Movie of The Decade

Author: Daniel Benham from United Kingdom
12 July 2012

"Did anybody see Inception? I think that was just about the most ambitious movie I've ever seen. And then I thought wait a god damn second… Marvel… Studios is going to take all their top superheroes, and they're going to put them all together in The Avengers. That's the most ambitious movie I've ever seen!" – Robert Downey Jr. (Comic Con 2010)

It may have been the most ambitious movie ever… but boy did they pull it off! There was always a small doubt that The Avengers (2012) may have been a flop for a couple of reasons. The first is the fact that the Captain America (2011) and Iron Man 2 (2010) were slightly lower than the standard of movies Marvel studios had shot out since 2008 when The Incredible Hulk (2008) hit the big screens. Obviously this lower standard must have been due to The Avengers being in production because the film topped my list of favourite films and became number 1, yes, it took over The Dark Knight (2008)!

To read the full review go here: http://www.teknue.com/reviews/review- the-avengersavengers-assemble-2012/852

Finest superhero movie ever

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
21 May 2012

The Avengers – CATCH IT ( A+ ) The anticipation for the avenger's movie is undeniable. We have been waiting for this from years. To understand the Avenger's movie it's really important that you've seen all previous Ironman, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America's movies. As the avenger's give time to build characterizations for their heroes so getting into the avengers empty headed about hero's history will be foolish. The Avenger's brings back our beloved Marvel's heroes Tony Stark (Iron Man), Thor, Dr. Bruce Banner (Hulk), Steve Rogers (Captain America), Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow), Clint Barton (Hawkeye), Agent Maria Hill, Agent Phil Coulson and Director Nick Fury. Each hero's journey starts from where it ended in their respective movies. Now, The Avenger's stands strong in every department, from direction, production and performances. It won't be wrong to say that it brings out the best out of all the heroes. The humor, action and graphics are far brilliant than all the previous Marvel movies combined. The credit goes to generous brain of Joss Whedon. He brings out something very special out of each superhero. The interaction between all superheroes is something we don't see often, they tease, make fun and even fight with each other. Robert Downey Jr. (Ironman) is great as always. He brings his charming personality and wicked humor into his character which made him the superstar of today. Chris Hemsworth (Thor) is truly a god of thunder. His entry is as Big as Thor's entry should be, it makes you jump of your seat and cheer for him. Chris Evens (Captain America) is indeed the ultimate American Hero, he got the charm and personality of a true America hero. Some of the most standout moments in the movie belong to Mark Ruffalo (The Incredible Hulk). For the first time we see some humor in the actions of Hulk, he is just not a fury green monster this time around. besides Hulk, the biggest surprise is Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), we have seen the part of her in Ironman movie but this time around we completely understand the strength and wickedness of Black Widow. She is absolutely stunning and fantastic. Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) is good and I hope to see him someday with Black Widow. They had this amazing chemistry which requires further attention. Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders and Samuel L. Jackson the S.H.E.I.L.D are fun to watch. Tom Hiddleston (Loki) is superb, he was the ultimate villain and considering his brilliant performance in Thor, he has out done himself again. Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) appearance is appreciated and I would have loved to see Natalie Portman (Jane Foster) in it too. On the whole, The Avengers is the finest brilliant superhero movie of all time, it's filled with great performance, humor, action, graphics and brilliant direction. Highly recommended in 3D.

Simply Perfect

Author: darkraven_109 from Manila, Philippines
28 April 2012

I can not say anything more about THE AVENGERS; the movie just hit all the right spots and a lot more. It didn't only entertain like how a brainless popcorn movie would; it told a great superhero team story.

The characters were written perfectly, the action was spectacular and best of all ever character was a joy to watch. The story had the perfect balance of comedy, action and drama (yes, there's a bit of that too and it's good). It's everything a comic book fan would want out of a comic book adaptation movie.

Every member of the Avengers line-up (whether super powered or not) got the right amount of screen time; if you were like me and thought that Iron Man would get accidentally hog the screen because the trailers made the movie look like "IRON MAN AND FRIENDS," your fears will be washed away. Mark Ruffalo also stole the show as Banner/ The Hulk; if you had a few doubts about him playing the character after Edward Norton was left behind, fear not since he does the job well. I can go as far as saying that Ruffalo is the best incarnation of Banner so far.

Josh Whedon pulled off the impossible; he wrote and directed a perfect comic book adaptation. He created what I consider the best superhero movie so far. He made THE AVENGERS.

To say anything more would be a waste of time. Just go and watch it.

Childhood avenged

Author: pedro_b_g_fontes from Portugal
25 April 2012

I'm not going to spoil anything or get very technical here. I don't usually write reviews. I did so because this movie took me back to my childhood like no other movie did.

Sure, it's not intellectually pretentious or groundbreaking from a cinematic or storytelling point of view, but it delivers perfectly.

The wit, conflict, adventure, heart and sense of wonder that I once found in my crazy uncle's attic, slumbering inside those weird looking and dusty Marvel Magazines - populated with super-soldiers, handsome flying scientists, Norse gods, green monsters and incredibly hot chicks in black leather - are here.

As I grew up, I somehow repressed the idea that there was no such thing as fictional happiness. These characters will never exist, and it sure takes suspension of disbelief to watch them run about. But this movie reminded me of what they made me feel before girls, party nights, college,taxes and other complicated, serious things came along. As the movie ended, I felt overwhelmed by the readjustment to reality as I knew it in my young adult life.

I watched this with my 10 year old nephew. I don't know if that makes me the crazy uncle, but it sure was great to be back in that attic, even for a while. I always knew Hulk smashed. Now I know he always will.

A Marvel-ous experience

Author: Mythili Chari from India
24 April 2012

The wait for this movie has been excruciatingly long, ever since we saw the preview that was attached to Captain America. Here's what I thought of the movie when I caught the premiere.

You get the best of Joss Whedon and that is quite a lot:

1. Black Widow is no longer just a piece of eye-candy. Did you seriously expect the creator of Buffy to just let his female characters stand around looking pretty? She kicks ass and how! (Yes, and it's about time!)

2. For all the newbies out there that haven't watched some or all of the previous movies, the rest of the characters are thoroughly fleshed out. You get a long explanation about what they have been up to since their story last ended. So, it's possible that the first half may be a tad slow for the die-hard fans, but the second half more than makes up for it. Also, for what it's worth, isn't it better to know what the characters have been doing all this while, before they get down to some serious action?

3. The post-credits scene. Oh My God! There is no point, whatsoever, in going to watch the movie if you don't wait for it. You simply HAVE to see it.

4. On a side-note, if you're relatively new to the Marvel universe, you must see The Superhero Squad Show (Yes, it's a cartoon, and no, it's not a very serious one either. But looking past all that, it's a serious refresher course in everything Marvel) before the next movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe releases, as it really helps you understand the characters. I wouldn't have understood the importance of the post- credits scene without it.

5. The fight sequences (the gist of which we all saw over and over again at Comic-Con!) finally makes it look like we are watching a superhero movie. It's not one until some old-fashioned ka-pow!

6. And yes, there are many scenes which are a fanboy's (or girl's) most awesome-est dream come alive!

You also, however, get the worst of Whedon, which I admit, I pretty much dreaded. I won't say what it is, as it will spoil it for you, but it's really very obvious if you've seen anything of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (my opinion may not, however, be accurate, as some might argue that what we've seen is actually, his best) Whatever the general consensus, there is no doubt that Whedon gives his best shot at leaving his mark in the Marvel 'verse (!) and his best is pretty darn good!

If I simply HAVE to find flaws in the movie, the only one I can think of right now is that some important Avengers - Ant-Man, Wasp, Black Panther and Vision - are nowhere to be seen. Black Widow was the only token female in this all-testosterone group, so Wasp would have been a welcome addition, as the scales would not be so unbalanced.

The Avengers works because underneath all the larger-than-life heroes with their huge egos, their actions and emotions are just human enough to be believable. Things do not just fall in place - everybody does not magically get along with each other and fight away to glory - they had to work hard to make it happen. And that, is this movie's biggest USP.

All-in-all, go watch the movie, if not on the first day, then at least some other time for as long as it's on in the theaters. Your first glimpse of this movie just HAS to be on the big screen.

The Avengers - one of the best superhero film so far!

Author: brandon_lee420 from 21 Stalker St, Pedo Way
24 April 2012

Believe me when I say that 'The Avengers' was my most anticipated movie ever. I mean, come on, a bunch of superheroes gathering and fighting evil, that is just priceless. And not any superheroes but the most well-known and well-loved. The movie has some of the best actors in Hollywood portraying some of the best superheroes to have ever been created. This movie has loads of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, and, needless to say, Hulk Smash! They were all portrayed on screen brilliantly and I give thanks to the actor for making them feel awesome, cool, and really, really fun. I live in Australia and we get an earlier viewing of the film but for you Americans, this wait is is worth it. When the movie was over, most of the cinema clapped - this was the first time I had ever seen this ever at the movies. Even though it was 12 in the morning, the whole cinema was packed and all of them came out of the cinema satisfied and were glad they paid the $13 to watch it.

The plot of the movie is straightforward but done magnificently. Loki, previously seen in Thor, wants to wreak havoc on Earth by letting a group of aliens enter Earth through a portal. It's up to the Avengers to stop him but first they have to solve the rivalries and bitterness between them. The fight scenes between the superheroes are just f*cking AWESOME! I was so excited to see Thor and Iron Man battle it out - that scene was just plain epic.

The music and soundtrack in the movie was good and it did a nice job of alleviating the action, and trust me there is a LOT of action. The visual effects are also fantastic, one of the best I have ever seen in a film, and they will leave you in awe. Hulk, along with Iron Man, do a good job of adding humour into the film and ALL of the scenes with the Hulk left everyone at the cinemas laughing. It is pretty obvious that his squad mates think highly of him as seen in the scene where Stark and Loki have a confrontation ('We have an Army' , 'We have a Hulk'). That scene was what did it for me.

If you guys are in doubt as to see this then let me assure you that you are gonna get the bang for your buck that you deserve. So far, it is one of the best superhero film made but of all time? Not really sure, guess we have to wait for TDKR to come out. 10/10 - Perfect!

'Over and Out.' 25 April 2012

Marvel's Avengers: Joss Whedon I'm officially your number 1 Fanboy and a believer

Author: j-pryde from Germany
25 April 2012

Although Marvel Pictures have always made curious appointments in regards to their feature film directors the results have been mostly solid, if not spectacular thus far. I certainly didn't expect Jon Faverau to deliver one of the best comic-book movies ever – Iron Man. If it wasn't for DC's own Billionaire playboy superhero would've champion Iron Man as the best flick in the genre. Yes I do rate Iron Man that highly. Spider-Man 1 & 2 were good but didn't exactly capture the essence of Peter Parker while Spider-Man 3 was a huge mess, not Mark Steven Johnson mess, but a mess nonetheless. Last year's motion picture debuts of Marvel staples Thor and Captain America were also very good, very faithful to their respective source material. Joe Johnston redeemed himself after a misguided attempt at bringing the Wolfman back to the silver screen, whereas Kenneth Branaghs Shakespeare sensitive's proved a stroke of genius in fitting Thor into Marvel's motion picture universe. To be honest I even enjoyed 2008's The Incredible Hulk after Ang Lee damn near killed the franchise.

Even though Marvel Pictures has proved time and again to make the right decisions when producing a movie on its own, the hiring of Joss Whedon seemed like an odd choice. Of course Joss Whedon is the genius behind TV-cult hits like Buffy, Angel and Firefly but his only foray into directing was 2005's Serenity. Managing all those superstar egos, handling multiple character arcs, dealing with several multimillion dollar franchises and making everyone happy from top brass executive down to the hardcore fanboys – to be honest, I wouldn't have entrusted him with a fraction of the $200-million-plus budget for The Avengers. Thus far only two directors have managed to pull off the impossible and accomodated several superheroes in a single movie – Bryan Singer (X-Men & X2) and Matthew Vaughn (X-Men First Class) while Brett Ratner ruined X-Men 3 with his unfocused direction. At first I thought Joss Whedon would do an even more terrible job than the latter, considering that Ratner had more filmmaking experience than Whedon at the time of filming X3. But nothing could be further from the truth. Joss Whedon is the MASTER, with a captial M.

Let me say it out loud:

JOSS WHEDON IS A COMIC BOOK MOVIE GOD.

Unlike Ratner he actually cares about the characters and their development throughout the movie. You think Tony Stark would just waltz through the movie and roll over every other character? You are wrong. Though Robert Downey Jr. is in top form as he always is when he dons the Iron Man suit, the other characters are far from underdeveloped and don't crumble under the pressure of his larger-than-life persona. If anything it's the Hulk that absolutely steals the show. That said, I think we have found the definitive Bruce Banner, Mark Ruffalo, he absolutely owns the role. He is the Hulk and we finally got the Hulk we deserved. Everybody brings their A-game and every character gets a fair amount of screen time. I can't find any flaw in this movie. Of course the special effects are spectacular but it's the dialogue that won me over. Really. Each character in this movie has at least one or two memorable lines – not just Tony Stark. When you watch the Avengers make sure you listen to the dialogue carefully – I've never heard dialogue this witty in any comic movie, and I've watched my fair share. Joss Whedon you are the freaking man. They said it was impossible to accommodate this many characters in a single movie – they were wrong. From now on everyone will reference this movie whenever multiple larger-than-life figures are thrown into one supersized extravaganza – Yeah I'm slamming the last two Transformers flicks. I guarantee Joss Whedon would've done justice to the franchise. After watching the Avengers everything that bears the name of Joss Whedon is a must-see for me now.

Final verdict: 10 out of 10. This movie is Iron Man on steroids. Go watch that movie!!!

Great, GREAT FILM!!

Author: JoeDiBease from United States
12 April 2012

Ever since the beginning of the film, I was so amazed and happy That I was at the premier of the movie. Very good acting from all the main characters and good acting from the rest. Great Directing and writing from Joss Whedon too. The cinematography was stunning throughout the whole film.This is a fun action packed film for the whole family to enjoy just like the rest of the Marvel movies but better. The special effects by far are the best for any Marvel movie. The Hulk Looks so much more real. By the way The Hulk made the movie even better. Also, DO NOT SEE THE AVENGERS IN 3D! See the film because you will not be disappointed even if you are not that interested into superhero movies. It has a lot of humor and love, so again SEE IT!