IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 162: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

This was awful...

Author: hecrod69 from United States
4 March 2013

I've been using for a while a rating system that considers a "Watchability Factor", Acting and plot... The rating system goes from 1 to 10, with 5 points given to the "watchability factor", 2 for the acting and 3 for the plot.

The scoring works as follows:

Watchability Factor

5 - Spectacular! Worth watching over and over again

4 - Outstanding… will watch several times

3 - Really good movie… will watch more than once

2 - Good movie… may watch more than once

1 - OK movie... but once is enough.

Acting

2 - spectacular, Oscar worthy

1 - Really good, enhanced the plot

0 - movie wasn't about the acting

Plot

3 - Spectacular, nothing else like it in the genre, nominated for Best Picture (Oscars)

2 - Makes you think well after, unique

1 - Interesting idea / story

0 - Run of the mill

The Avengers??? One point for being an OK movie but that's it... no acting, no plot, no value... just explosions and silly jokes... TERRIBLE!!!... Just skip it!!!

Clichéd and noisy

Author: Stephen Johnson from Lancashire, England
11 October 2012

A half-arsed script and an eternity of explosions. Utter tripe. My high point, was when I fell asleep. Even the sight of the delightful Miss Johansen wasn't enough to keep my interest. Still, it made lots of money so I've no doubt we will see a follow up. It seems that this movie is in the IMDb top 250. I'm at a loss to explain this. I understand that people are fans of the comic book series. I understand that this film will have it's fans. I just don't see it as holding any cinematic merit. The acting is by the numbers and I think we've all seen enough of CGI films to last us another century. If I were 12 I would probably have enjoyed it.

MARVELous

Author: rossiepearson from United Kingdom
5 December 2012

"The tesseract has awakened." spoken in the opening scene, picks right up where 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and 'Thor' left off. S.H.E.I.L.D director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is forced to call upon earths mightiest hero's to stop the self outcast Asgardian Loki.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk, along with Black Widow and Hawkeye, are the only hope to save the world from an invasion, and boy do they in an instant superhero classic. Possibly the best thing about The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble in the UK) is that each hero has grounded powers the exception being Thor (unless you count Hulk's strength as a super power), which makes the Marvel hero's more believable than their DC. counterparts.

There's drama, action, comedy, and some amazing CGI, and thankfully doesn't fall into the same category as the not so fantastic Fantastic 4 movies. Mark Ruffalo, replacing the underwhelming Ed Norton, excels as Bruce Banner/Hulk, which is without a doubt the best on screen version of the iconic hero after the awful 2003 'Hulk' movie and 2008's slightly improved 'The Incredible Hulk', as well as Ruffalo and co star Robert Downey Jr. Playing Tony Stark/Iron Man for the 4th time, having some fantastic chemistry in a scene on-board the Hellcarrier.

Chris Evans plays Captain America perfectly as the man out of time, Chris Hemsworth is believable in his role as Loki's Brother (like in Thor) Scarlett Johansson is the surprise of the movie though with a lot of the action revolving around her Black Widow, the only major disappointment with The Avengers is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is underused. That being said every hero gets decent screen time to justify their appearance as well as everyone having a big part to play in the fantastic final sequence.

However, The Avengers towers over every superhero movie in recent memory with the only real challengers being X-Men and The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joss Whedons hit is sure to please Marvel fans and the everyday movie goer. Next up for Marvel studios, Iron Man 3, cant wait.

Best quote in the movie: Loki:"How desperate are you that you call upon such such lost creatures to defend you?"

If you enjoyed watching: X-Men, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, you'll enjoy watching The Avengers (Avengers Assemble).

143 Minutes of Mindless Fighting

Author: jdb922 from United States (Texas)
10 June 2012

I walked out of the theater feeling the same way I did back in 2007 after seeing Spider-Man 3. The film was very bloated. It was a simple plot, but at the same time I felt overwhelmed with all these characters, action and effects. It was a lot to keep up with.

I think the plot was the main problem. As stated in the title, it just seemed like a bunch of monotonous fighting. Basically the whole movie was: they fought each other, then they fought a bunch of bad guys. Hulk would throw a bad guy through a wall, Thor would hit someone with his hammer, Captain America would pop in and throw his shield at somebody etc... and it just went on and on and on. It was boring as hell. This is how I feel about Transformers. It's just 3 hours of big CGI robots fighting. Action scenes are suppose to leave you leaning on the edge of your seat.

The Avengers are all practically invincible, so what's the point? When you have two seemingly unstoppable characters fighting, there's nothing much at stake, so it gets boring. You could say the same about Superman II, and Freddy Vs. Jason, but those were exciting as hell to watch. I'm thinking it's cause they had better stories and weren't crammed full of crap. We seem to live in a quantity over quality society, and I don't understand why. It's always just MORE MORE MORE with people... but less is more. You can get too much of anything, and there's something to be said for proper pacing.

Also, there's so many over the top special effects in this movie. Special effects and action are great, but they're tools to enhance your story, and this movie was severely lacking in that department. When you got a film that's crammed full of all these characters, action and effects, it's a lot to swallow. Their individual movies were much more focused and grounded in reality. It never fails though, when you get a group of characters or even actors together in one big movie, their individual films are usually always better. They're like good soups. By themselves they're good, but if you mix 'em together, they're bad.

As much as I love super heroes, the past 10+ years they've flooded the market, and it's starting to get tiresome.

I'm never very good at rating films, but I'll give this one a 5 out of 10, which is so-so. I can't bring myself to say that The Avengers is bad, but I can't say it's good either. I'm trying to think of some positive things. Scarlett Johansson is stunningly attractive. Robert Downey Jr. delivers a good performance along with some good one liners. There's some spontaneous and amusing bits. There's some decent dialog here and there along with some cool shots, effects and action scenes... not to sound contradictory. I believe this movie could actually be greatly improved with some major re-editing... but even so, there's only so much you can do with editing. In it's current condition, it's a bit of a mess.

For any super hero fan out there, it's worth watching, but don't expect anything on the same caliber as superior super hero team movies such as X-Men or Watchmen.

Everything you would want to see..

Author: miltong from India
27 April 2012

They spend money to make a film you would enjoy. You pay money to see a movie and enjoy. This is a movie where every penny spend by the producers and the consumers is worth spend. Movies with so many superheroes are 90% of the time destined to be a chaos. Yes there is chaos, but its not the movie but in the heart of Manhattan which is the battleground.

Awesome dialogues, rightly timed humor and incredible action. You wouldn't have time to chew your popcorn. People who have come to IMDb to check for reviews, just don't spend time here...get a ticket now.

Watch it in 3D. The movie is made for it.

Beautifully Done Masterpiece

Author: rayrodgpa from United States
12 May 2012

I'll admit it, I was extremely doubtful about this film. I've loved Joss Whedon's work my entire life and I had enjoyed all the previous Marvel films that led up to this one, especially Iron Man. But the fact that they brought together all of these different characters from all these different movies and put them together in 2 1/2 hour film was unprecedented and almost seemed impossible. But the optimist in me got me to the theater with me expectations shaky. Once the film started I was quickly drawn in and once the title appeared on the screen I knew that Joss Whedon had done it. The Avengers is without a doubt my favorite Marvel film and even my favorite action film ever made. Whedon did a great job writing this masterful, witty script that ingeniously put together all these characters and made it flow perfectly. The actors did such a great job playing these characters again and it didn't seem like anyone was underutilized and everyone got a chance to be in the spotlight(especially the hulk). Once you see all of the characters assemble and fight the bad guys you can't help but fill with happiness. The entire movie was such a fun thrill ride from the beginning to the end and the ending battle scene was brilliantly done. I am extremely delighted to say that Joss Whedon has done the impossible and made one of the most entertaining movies ever made.

Time To Jump On The Band Wagon

Author: Mahan18 from Australia
12 May 2012

Yeah, much like everyone else, I friggin' LOVED this movie. This is the purest comic book movie I have ever seen, and for that reason alone it works. Everything, from the writing to the action to the humour to the chemistry between characters to even the pacing feels like it was pulled straight from the pages of the lavishly ludicrous, and having one of the gods of cult sci-fi/fantasy, not to mention a comic book writer, at the helm of this movie was probably the only way this movie could have possibly met with everyone's expectations.

4-5 years of build-up to this movie, and it more than just pays off; it wins the jackpot. I am yet to find a person who didn't like this movie, and I can fully understand why. I honestly TRIED to find something about it to even nitpick at, and found nothing. This is the ultimate comic book movie; I highly recommend this to any lover of action, superhero or sci-fi movies, as well as to any avid comic book readers. For all those who don't fit into these categories, this movie may just convert you.

All in all, one of the best films I've seen in a while.

Author: Liam McBey from Scotland
28 April 2012

Cannot find too much fault in this film, apart from maybe the fact you will need to have seen all previously related films, luckily I had seen Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America and Thor, so I knew the back story from the get-go.

I feel all of the characters were given enough screen time, I would have maybe liked to see Thor a bit more, I think he was underused, he could have done a lot more with his massive power, like killing one of those massive lizard things on his own, the character of the Hulk was brilliantly well played by Mark Ruffalo, he portrayed Banner as a very calm and collected man and very laid back which is needed for him, it created a newfound interest in the character for me, as I was never a great fan of the Hulk. As always Robert Downey Jr did a fantastic job of Iron Man, with the majority of the film's funny lines coming from him.

Chris Hemsworth borough back the mighty Thor and did so tremendously, like I said I think he could have been used a lot more, the Black Widow was also a nice addition, even though she had appeared previously in Iron Man 2, (although the tight leather outfit was a bit distracting lol.) I found it incredibly hard to stop looking at her behind, but luckily I was wearing 3D glasses in the dark so nobody could tell.

Hawkeye was really well played, for some reason the actor looks a LOT like Gerard Butler to me, I don't know why. But regardless he is a great character and I found it very funny when he asked Iron Man for a lift up to a roof of a building, and Tony Stark replied "Ok hang on then Legolas". Little funny lines like that made the entire cinema laugh a lot.

The humour of the film mainly came from Iron Man/Tony Stark, also quite a lot of funny moments came from Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I was a bit confused as to why he can suddenly control the Hulk, when he completely lost control on the ship earlier on. There were deep and meaningful thoughts about Bruce's alter ego, but there was a lot of humour to be had from the Hulk as well, (particularly when he smashes Loki on the ground again and again).

One small annoyance I had was the continuity on the level of strength and toughness each character had. In the film Thor, he was made to look like the most powerful being ever, with one whack sending big ice men flying 50 feet in the air, but in this film he only whacks them back about ten feet, which is exactly the same distance Captain America and Iron Man can hit (which it shows in the fight scene involving the three of them). It's just an annoyance of mine but I found it hard to figure out which one of them had the most strength, fair enough Steve Rogers is a super soldier but Thor is a demigod, you would think he would have a lot more more strength in comparison, one second a whack from Thor's Hammer can knock the Hulk ten feet away, but it doesn't even leave a scratch on Captain America's shield? And yes I know the shield is made with some indestructible material mentioned in the Cap film, but the Hulk is quite tough too and he got knocked away completely.

I also kinda wished they fought directly next to each other more, you never see all of them at the exact same place, they're always scattered about and you never get the feeling they are a full team, throughout the film I was waiting for some epic bit where all 5 of them pulled off some unique combo that involved all of them, but the most I got was two or three of them in the same place in the final battle.

But all in all, the film is brilliantly well done, action scenes are engrossing and genuinely frightful, you get some empathy for Bruce Banner, you genuinely worry about certain characters and I for one was thrilled with it, I was worrying it might be too many characters for one film but they nailed it.

Best Super-Hero Movie EVER!!!

Author: luispintu2 from Portugal
27 April 2012

I can only say this:

If you simply know the characters... Or have a profound knowledge in comics... Or simply like the fantastic type... THIS IS THE MOVIE FOR YOU!!!

I felt like a teenage watching this excellent movie. It has a lot of fun, action scenes, an excellent plot and all the characters have their minutes to shine. They are all as we know them from the comics and the movies.

A must to all comics lovers!!!

Going to see it for the second time today! Hope all enjoy it as i did, and believe me i'm on countdown for the second already :).

"The Avengers" (2012)

Author: dee.reid from United States
9 July 2012

As you well know by now, "The Avengers" is a large-scale superhero film that was four years in the making, with no less than four individual - yet inter-connected superhero films - feeding into this film's overall story. Joss "Firefly" Whedon was the director and co-writer on this highly ambitious project that is an adaptation of the Marvel Comics superhero team co-created by Stan Lee (who also appears in a very small cameo, like almost every other movie adaptation of a superhero he had a hand in creating) and the late Jack Kirby. Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans), Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Natasha Romanoff/The Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson), and Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) are the six misfits chosen by Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Samuel L. Jackson) to defeat the traitorous Asgardian misfit Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and his alien army from laying waste to New York City. And of course, six characters usually accustomed to working alone have to work out their differences and come together as a team to save the world. What gets "The Avengers" many points is that beside its big action sequences, fights and special effects, we never really lose sight of the characters (who are usually relegated to the background in a movie like this) and who they are. I liked that the movie actually spent time developing the individual characters so that we get to know them all over again - even though they've all already appeared in previous superhero films. It's all big superhero fun, with a knowing wink and an outstanding sense of humor that manages to elicit some strong laughs from anyone viewing this thing with an open mind. Sit back and enjoy!

P.S.: What happened to Dr. Henry "Hank" Pym/Giant-Man and Janet van Dyne/The Wasp? Weren't they part of the original Avengers team line-up (before "The Avengers #4" when Captain America became team leader, marking the character's Silver Age debut)? This was my only real complaint about "The Avengers."