IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 164: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Loud, Long, 110% Special Effects

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 September 2012

Has the global situation grown so bleak that the populace has regressed to comic books for escapism entertainment? Judging by the enormous popularity of everything cinematic based on superheroes and sci-fi extravaganzas I suppose the answer is 'Yes!' To sit in one place for an excess of 2 ½ hours and witness the destruction derby that is the apocalyptic bad guys (in the form of a light spear carrying Loki (Tom Hiddleston) against Samuel L. Jackson's SHIELD cast of make-believe folks - Robert Downey, Jr in armor, Chris Evans in his Captain America Halloween costume, Mark Ruffalo unconvincingly transforming into the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as hammer wielding Thor, Scarlett Johansson as a pretty Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye all out to make life sustainable for the leasers like Stellan Skarsgård, Clark Gregg, and Colbie Smulders - is a feat in itself.

For movies of this type this one has more color and imaginative loco devices that most and therefore I suppose it remains at the top of the heap. When will these characters run out of tales? The answer likely is 'When the movie public stops ling up for these epics.'

Grady Harp

Most overrated movie of all time

Author: cyasin95 from United States
28 August 2012

The movie was absolute trash. Horrible scripts, least menacing villain ever, no chemistry between the actors, and mundane story line. The movie was immensely over hyped and definitely does not deserve anything near a 8.5 rating. Its alright as a kids movie. It does not come anywhere near the unprecedented standards set by the dark knight or for that matter does not even come close to spiderman 2. The movie is often commended for its humor. In my opinion the humor is extremely dry and futile. Nothing special at all, despite its box office success it would have been better off as an animated movie. So if you want watch at least a decent super hero flick you might as well pick up Watchmen, X-men first class, Spider man 1 or 2 and of course the batman trilogy.

The most overrated bad movie of all time

Author: pimentel9
27 March 2013

This movie is retarded. Humanity must have seriously degraded if people consider this piece of crap the best of the best in cinema. I can't believe this movie is just two points away from the same rating for scarface. That movie was awesome, not this piece of crap. I think the movie order should go like this; #1 The Godfather, #2 Scarface, #3 Star Wars Episode VI Return Of The Jedi, #4 Alien, #5 Titanic. Those movies are legendary, but this movie? This movie is no where near legendary. I would rate this movie a zero but since i can't pick that i guess i'll go with one star. This movie has the most predictable plot ever, to sum it up it goes like this; bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, the end. The dialogue is some of the corniest crap in film history. Batman And Robin was corny and stupid, but at least it was tolerable with Arnold's witty one-liners. The scenes that were supposed to be funny made me gag and the scenes that were supposed to be serious made me burst out laughing at how stupid they were. Seriously, the stupidity never ends; from iron man fighting thor for absolutely no reason, to nick fury shooting a plane carrying an atomic bomb....with a bazooka. The plane is carrying an atomic bomb and your idea to stop it is to shoot it? Seriously?!!!???!? Don't watch this movie it's stupid and if your a huge avengers fan it will be an even bigger disappointment; if you want to watch a good marvel movie watch spider-man 2, that movie deserves an 8.3 rating, not this kid-friendly nonsense.

you ain't missing much (except 2 hours of Living)

Author: leal-895-895113 from United States
2 October 2012

Seriously, unless you are the stereotypical fanboy/testosterone/drunken-viewer type, this will be 85% a waste of your time. The other 15%? A few funny lines throughout, the talk between Thor & Loki (right before Ironman interferes), the ensuing battle between "shellhead" and the Thunder God, and Hulk wiping the floor with Loki. So, if you are too stoned/drunk/tranquilized-by-Marlin-Perkins, this campy cinema won't kill you. (unless you sober up quick and live near a high precipice!) And really, it could be worse, like if they'd used Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan (drunk/drugged) to play The Black Widow. Or maybe if they'd gotten George Costanza to get into it with Doc Banner over eating the last muffin top...

Not the reboot I was hoping for

Author: PlugInYourBrain from Australia
29 August 2012

The good: Robert Downey Jr. is charming as ever. Scarlett Johannsen is delicious as ever. Chris Evans makes a great Captain America. Mark Ruffalo turned in a good performance as David Banner. Samuel Jackson is usual Bad-ass self. Did I leave anyone out? The CGI is up to today's usual high standard. Oh I nearly forgot: The Thor guy was pretty cool too, though why does a Scandinavian God speak with a British Accent?

The bad: There's no plot. Loki is a 1-dimensional villain. He "wants to be king." He wants people to submit. That's it. That's all there is.

I expected more from Joss Whedon, like the incredible reboot J. J. Abrams was able to deliver Star Trek. Damn it! I don't really care much for Star Trek, but Abrams had me nearly crying at the start of that movie.

Instead with Avengers we get another paint-by-numbers Superhero movie. You *can* make a Superhero movie with Heart! Look at the original Superman, or more recently Dark Knight and even Kick Ass. I want action and plenty of it, but I also want to connect with the characters on screen.

The problem with Avengers is that connection isn't there and there's not a lot happening either. The production values are high, but that's no substitute for a plot. Until the CGI battle at the end, I was a kind of bored.

Not a a true 1 but NOT A 8.3!!!!

Author: d-dezi from United States, CT
9 March 2013

The Avengers is a fun movie, it looks great visually and has a classic comic book plot. The issue is there is nothing original or inspiring about it! It lacks drama and the ability to get you lost in the plot; it is terribly predictable and never once has the viewer worried or wondering what will happen next. Yes it's a fun and awesome comic book movie, but I would say it's much more of a novelty than a great work of art. The Dark Knight series were all base off comic books yet had an edge added to them to make the viewer connect to the characters and actually worry because they need knew what would happen next, like most great movies. The Avengers fails to do this throughout the film. There is nothing innovative about the plot there is no true tension in the film. I would normally rate this film as a 5/6 out of 10 but I can't since there are so many high ratings. Simply said The Avengers is a fun simple movie with great visual effects that can bring you back to childhood, it is not a horrible film but it is not a work of cinematic art by any means and I do not feel like it deserves a rating as high as some of the most classics and original films we have to offer rate.

nothing to spoil

Author: Bas Tvtas from Netherlands
5 October 2012

After reading many very positive reviews about this movie I thought I had to watch it. After watching, most surprising to me was that the movie didn't surprise a single moment! It wasn't interesting at all, fell asleep at least 3 times while watching it. In fact these moments of sleep/ half sleep are the moments I will remember best when thinking back of The Avengers. I like looking at movies a lot and can enjoy very different genres and qualities, but falling asleep while watching is something I usually don't or cannot do. So this movie -especially in its genre- must be a complete failure.

What do I remember after a few days? A bad guy that really wasn't scary, some super heroes that had to fight together to stop that bad guy (and some more I guess), some images of them being on a space ship, and that's it! That's all!

What about the end? I'm sure I was awake at that moment of time but I simply can't remember. It could have only been the heroes winning the battle but how and where? I think they saved the earth and have been trying hard to do so, but at least it happened without any unexpected or original idea. So for this movie, there is even no chance of writing a review that contains spoilers! What could possibly be there to spoil? That one guy turns big, angry and green?

The avengers is just a super flat super cliché super boring super hero movie... can't recommend to watch it.

Marvel at the stupidity of the masses

Author: darragh608 from Ireland
30 May 2013

This is a joke of a movie that's far from funny. I can't believe this movie gets 8.3 currently on IMDb? So this is on par with all those classic movies that score an 8.3? Those movies that people will enjoy for decades to come? I'm stunned how well this has been received. Anyone over the age of 7 that has given this film a good review should be ashamed. The absolute saturation of CGI is disgusting, and seems to be enough to forgive the many flaws of this movie. The action is as poor as the humor, which is brutal. I'm not against the Marvel characters, I grew up with them. I know you can't go into certain movies with a critical eye, all I expected from my trip to the cinema was to be entertained. Instead I was saddened, shocked and bored to the point of irritation. I seen the amazing Spider-Man recently, THAT was entertaining. The reason was because there was some thought and effort but into all aspects of the movie, as it should be, to the character and story. It had everything that the avengers lacked.

Fanfare for the Merry Marvel Marching Society!

Author: higherall7 from Detroit, Michigan
27 June 2012

Being at one time a young ten year old kid who cut his teeth on 'COWBOY SAM' books and 'JOHN HENRY AND THE DOUBLE-JOINTED STEAM DRILL' as well 'UNCLE ARTHUR'S BEDTIME STORIES', the adventures of the MARVEL UNIVERSE were a welcome introduction into what the older kids were reading and doing. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby somehow as though by divine guidance properly gauged the angst of those teenage years in the Sixties and the zeitgeist of that era. Before the Avengers battled the Space Phantom, I cannot remember when I ever encountered a Superhero like the Hulk. Basically he was a bully in diapers who did not play well with others. After the Avengers at last sent the Space Phantom back into limbo where he belonged, the Hulk related that his feelings were hurt by the remarks others made about him during the heat of battle. He gave the Avengers his walking papers and jumped off into parts unknown.

This never would have happened in the JUSTICE LEAGUE.

During the showing I attended, after the credits were done, there is a scene where the Avengers are sitting together in a restaurant eating. The expressions on their faces indicate that they would all rather be somewhere else. When I first saw it, it appeared a little non-sequitur and just something added-on to pique interest. But then I went to my Volume 1 of the ESSENTIAL AVENGERS which covers the first twenty four issues of their saga. I decided to use it as a reference for my remarks in this review. When I got to page two of Issue Two, there it was right at the bottom! Essentially the same scene that tagged the end of the Avengers movie. Oh, the setting was different as well as a couple of the characters present or absent, but the theme of the scene was identical to the movie. A bunch of misfits decide to get together and meet regularly in order to increase and better facilitate group cohesion and they can barely stand being in each other's presence! It's the American Experience reductio ad absurdum. It is also the Human Experience should you wish to wax philosophical about it.

Reminds me of something I once heard Jesse Jackson declare during a speech and I believe he was quoting Martin Luther King; "We have to learn to live together no matter how painful, or we'll die apart as fools."

Suffice it to say that for the Avengers working together and living together is particularly painful at times.

No, Robert Downey Jr. would not have ordinarily come to mind as Tony Stark AKA IRON MAN, with his yuppie insouciance, but this is a new generation with its own issues and tastes, so there's no use asking "-where have you gone Errol Flynn and Ronald Coleman?". They're probably having lunch with Joe DiMaggio. Downey, in his own way, does more than represent with IRON MAN.

Knowing this genre intimately and well, this time I may be too close to it to effectively evaluate it. There are all kinds of things in this movie that do not fit, but that's the glory of the Marvel Universe. It is a depot for all the things that do not fit that are somehow made to achieve this transcendent irreverent harmony, rhythm and balance. As Edward G. Robinson once said in THE CINCINNATI KID, "-sort of like Life-".

Samuel L. Jackson has no real business being in the AVENGERS doing his usual scenery chewing, channeling bits of 'SHAFT' and 'HAWK' and the Black Man's angst about wanting in on the American Dream. For one thing, the original Nick Fury was a white World War Two hero who headed a squad called Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos. He would probably be in his nineties by now, but only a time chosen few would know that. Besides, that's the beauty of this fantasy scenario. Nobody really questions what or who these super-powered characters are supposed to be avenging. Actually they're more like the FINAL GUARDIANS than AVENGERS. Anyway, you really would be missing the point pursuing this line of questioning. Here are all these odds and ends of personality and death-defying events and cultural themes somehow welded and soldered together in a kind of collage of imagination and experience and juvenile science fiction and it all works because in the end this ain't your universe. It's the MARVEL UNIVERSE and you're just living and thrilling in it. When you look at it that way, Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury gets down and gets back, and redefines the American Dream as something more than that house with the little white picket fence and perhaps simply the divine right to be whatever you want to be.

Joss Whedon and Zak Penn finally wised up and decided to stand on the shoulders of giants Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, instead of jumping off to do their own thing with the Marvel Universe. They have written a tale to celebrate. Joss Whedon's direction is Marvelouseque rather than a penetrating interpretation that sometimes hits and sometimes misses as in the case with Sam Rami's SPIDERMAN movies.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, Tom Huddleston as Loki, Scarlet Johansson as the Black Widow, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye and Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, all have sufficient back stories now either through prior movies or the comics for the audience to be thoroughly prepared for what they might do. They are all so very nearly the characters themselves that all that's left is to be swept up in the action that is truly our satisfaction. And yet, the thing that makes the greatest impact in the end is the characters themselves.

Welcome to the Marvel Age of Comics in Cinema!

Everything you would want to see..

Author: miltong from India
27 April 2012

They spend money to make a film you would enjoy. You pay money to see a movie and enjoy. This is a movie where every penny spend by the producers and the consumers is worth spend. Movies with so many superheroes are 90% of the time destined to be a chaos. Yes there is chaos, but its not the movie but in the heart of Manhattan which is the battleground.

Awesome dialogues, rightly timed humor and incredible action. You wouldn't have time to chew your popcorn. People who have come to IMDb to check for reviews, just don't spend time here...get a ticket now.

Watch it in 3D. The movie is made for it.