IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 165: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Spectacular & Historic

Author: J S from NY
13 May 2012

This film is not only spectacular but its an "historic" superhero feature film at its best. This is worth the wait. Hell, this was worth the wait 7 years ago when it was first developed. Do we really think this will be in development hell? This is The Avengers "EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES!" This is something what has NEVER been done before & Marvel has got there finger on the pulse. In 1998, a minor marvel character featuring a human/vampire hybrid made it way to the big screen. In 2000, a group of mutants evolved into the box office. In 2002, was the year of the Spider.

After Daredevil, Hulk (Ang Lee), The Punisher, Elektra, Man-Thing, Fantastic Four & Ghost Rider, Marvel Studios would start producing its own films and distribute them through Paramount Pictures & the funding will come from a seven-year, $525 million revolving credit facility with Merrill Lynch. The result led to the creation of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe". Sounds cool, right? It was. No, really, It F***in' was. Iron Man made its motion picture debut, The Hulk got rebooted, Thor & Captain America have "FINALLY" got the Big screen treatment. Then came a huge shift in the Marvel universe.... Marvel Entertainment is now owned by Mickey Mouse.

Amazing. Disney let go the Power Rangers franchise & bought Marvel.

But after everything from comics to TV & film Marvel has put out it comes to show just how far they come as a company & knowing the fact that the biggest supporters (including me) are the fans. That is why they CAN NOT Disappoint us. Yeah, we complain about story lines, costumes & special effects, But if they stay true to the comics, the films would have done its justice. But i know deep down, Marvel Studios will always put out films & stay close to the material. So, what i've said earlier, was it worth the wait? Yes. Yes it was "definitely" worth it.

Marvel Studios, the cast & crew of The Avengers did an amazing job & on the Marvel Cinematic Universe & i can't wait to see what comes next.

Now if DC & Warner Bros. step their game up, we would like to see the Justice League into the big screen.

Tour de farce

Author: kristof wuyts from Belgium
13 September 2012

I heard people call The avengers a tour de force, a perfect box-office bonanza, the wickedest ride of their lives and best movie ever! I can only assume that every single one of them is a comic book freak and are all obsessed by every Marvel hero and villain. I can tell you I'm a movie buff but I'm not a comic book freak. In my opinion that shouldn't matter because dark knight for instance, is one of my favorite movies of all time. I know it's not from Marvel but DC comics but I also liked the first iron man movie (he turned into a narcissistic bastard after the first and I didn't like that character development) So I'm not gonna write a movie of just because I'm not a huge Marvel fan.

But after 2 1/2 hours of sitting through the deluge of explosions, "witty" banter, and generic story-telling. I was happy the movie ended, all around me there were people applauding and telling each other what an awesome movie they just saw. My plan was just to go home and put on a real movie. With plot twists and character development, both things I missed in the avengers. You could say it's fast paced but if the story doesn't grab you by the balls, it's all irrelevant. The only thing the movie had going for itself was that it was hilarious, to bad it didn't mean to be.

I knew after five minutes that the movie wasn't going to live up to the hype. And it was only downhill from there to be honest. The last sequence was the worst in my book. The alien invasion was so stupid, we were all wondering what was going to come through the black hole. And what came to wipe out all of humanity? A few hundred Chitauri, wow... is that an invasion? Six avengers got their stuff together and mobbed the floor with them. That was a huge anti-climax!

I think this movie is very overrated and only worth a view if you're tired and want some brainless 'entertainment', other than that it really is only for the comic book geeks. And maybe teenagers who've been brainwashed with years of Asian (fighting) cartoons. Oh yeah, the movie I watched when I got home was snatch!

The decline of smart scripts begins here

Author: frank_mli from United States
13 July 2012

This movie is for people who can't grow up, there are no smart moves, only pure special effects with no meaning behind, a complete joke. This explains why there are so many 40 yo men living like children out there. Like a man in a much better film said:

"God **** it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives."

Think about it, do you really want to have fun with this nonsense entertainment, without thinking even for a second?.

A lovable classic marvel action film!

Author: adammfeeley from United Kingdom
11 April 2015

The avengers is a classic marvel movie full of action, stunning special effects and the odd bit of funny humour. I think Age of Ultron will be better but this is still a fun and enjoyable film. I love how it appeals to everyone not just comic book fans. I can't find any flaws in this movie , it kinda has everything you need in a good movie:action, comedy, cool quotes and stunning special effects. I also love how marvel did movies before this one so the characters could be developed. The casting choices were also great. Everyone fits perfectly as the character they were chosen to play. Robert Downey Jr is great as Iron Man and Scarlett Johannson is amazing as Black Widow. My favourite is Samuel L Jackson as the tough but amazing Nick Fury. All in all WATCH THIS FILM.

I liked it. I've seen it like three times

Author: ttrabue-106-208742 from United States
30 July 2013

I just keep renting it. And I watch my favorite scenes over and over again each time I do. It's delightfully funny. I like these people. I like this story. I love with that Romanoff girl. Mark Ruffalo is great. He is just great. It's balanced. It cannot be easy to portray superheroes but they pull it off. You know they must be up against green screens but I believed it. The writing is fantastic. I can quote lines. My friends can quote lines. Everyone has a favorite scene. I have second third and fourth favorites. It's fast paced but you get to know the characters. I want Hollywood to know if I don't care about the characters I don't care what happens to them. I have almost no memory of "The Grifters", because yuck. I like movies with nice characters. And it's colorful. Did you see "The Ledge" it is so drab they could have saved money and filmed it in black and white. You're stuck in Baton Rouge, dude just jump, gees. Did you see "Cloud Atlas" visually spectacular. That's all it's got and still I'd give it about a six.

Loud, Long, 110% Special Effects

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 September 2012

Has the global situation grown so bleak that the populace has regressed to comic books for escapism entertainment? Judging by the enormous popularity of everything cinematic based on superheroes and sci-fi extravaganzas I suppose the answer is 'Yes!' To sit in one place for an excess of 2 ½ hours and witness the destruction derby that is the apocalyptic bad guys (in the form of a light spear carrying Loki (Tom Hiddleston) against Samuel L. Jackson's SHIELD cast of make-believe folks - Robert Downey, Jr in armor, Chris Evans in his Captain America Halloween costume, Mark Ruffalo unconvincingly transforming into the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as hammer wielding Thor, Scarlett Johansson as a pretty Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye all out to make life sustainable for the leasers like Stellan Skarsgård, Clark Gregg, and Colbie Smulders - is a feat in itself.

For movies of this type this one has more color and imaginative loco devices that most and therefore I suppose it remains at the top of the heap. When will these characters run out of tales? The answer likely is 'When the movie public stops ling up for these epics.'

Grady Harp

Most overrated movie of all time

Author: cyasin95 from United States
28 August 2012

The movie was absolute trash. Horrible scripts, least menacing villain ever, no chemistry between the actors, and mundane story line. The movie was immensely over hyped and definitely does not deserve anything near a 8.5 rating. Its alright as a kids movie. It does not come anywhere near the unprecedented standards set by the dark knight or for that matter does not even come close to spiderman 2. The movie is often commended for its humor. In my opinion the humor is extremely dry and futile. Nothing special at all, despite its box office success it would have been better off as an animated movie. So if you want watch at least a decent super hero flick you might as well pick up Watchmen, X-men first class, Spider man 1 or 2 and of course the batman trilogy.

The most overrated bad movie of all time

Author: pimentel9
27 March 2013

This movie is retarded. Humanity must have seriously degraded if people consider this piece of crap the best of the best in cinema. I can't believe this movie is just two points away from the same rating for scarface. That movie was awesome, not this piece of crap. I think the movie order should go like this; #1 The Godfather, #2 Scarface, #3 Star Wars Episode VI Return Of The Jedi, #4 Alien, #5 Titanic. Those movies are legendary, but this movie? This movie is no where near legendary. I would rate this movie a zero but since i can't pick that i guess i'll go with one star. This movie has the most predictable plot ever, to sum it up it goes like this; bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, the end. The dialogue is some of the corniest crap in film history. Batman And Robin was corny and stupid, but at least it was tolerable with Arnold's witty one-liners. The scenes that were supposed to be funny made me gag and the scenes that were supposed to be serious made me burst out laughing at how stupid they were. Seriously, the stupidity never ends; from iron man fighting thor for absolutely no reason, to nick fury shooting a plane carrying an atomic bomb....with a bazooka. The plane is carrying an atomic bomb and your idea to stop it is to shoot it? Seriously?!!!???!? Don't watch this movie it's stupid and if your a huge avengers fan it will be an even bigger disappointment; if you want to watch a good marvel movie watch spider-man 2, that movie deserves an 8.3 rating, not this kid-friendly nonsense.

you ain't missing much (except 2 hours of Living)

Author: leal-895-895113 from United States
2 October 2012

Seriously, unless you are the stereotypical fanboy/testosterone/drunken-viewer type, this will be 85% a waste of your time. The other 15%? A few funny lines throughout, the talk between Thor & Loki (right before Ironman interferes), the ensuing battle between "shellhead" and the Thunder God, and Hulk wiping the floor with Loki. So, if you are too stoned/drunk/tranquilized-by-Marlin-Perkins, this campy cinema won't kill you. (unless you sober up quick and live near a high precipice!) And really, it could be worse, like if they'd used Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan (drunk/drugged) to play The Black Widow. Or maybe if they'd gotten George Costanza to get into it with Doc Banner over eating the last muffin top...

Not the reboot I was hoping for

Author: PlugInYourBrain from Australia
29 August 2012

The good: Robert Downey Jr. is charming as ever. Scarlett Johannsen is delicious as ever. Chris Evans makes a great Captain America. Mark Ruffalo turned in a good performance as David Banner. Samuel Jackson is usual Bad-ass self. Did I leave anyone out? The CGI is up to today's usual high standard. Oh I nearly forgot: The Thor guy was pretty cool too, though why does a Scandinavian God speak with a British Accent?

The bad: There's no plot. Loki is a 1-dimensional villain. He "wants to be king." He wants people to submit. That's it. That's all there is.

I expected more from Joss Whedon, like the incredible reboot J. J. Abrams was able to deliver Star Trek. Damn it! I don't really care much for Star Trek, but Abrams had me nearly crying at the start of that movie.

Instead with Avengers we get another paint-by-numbers Superhero movie. You *can* make a Superhero movie with Heart! Look at the original Superman, or more recently Dark Knight and even Kick Ass. I want action and plenty of it, but I also want to connect with the characters on screen.

The problem with Avengers is that connection isn't there and there's not a lot happening either. The production values are high, but that's no substitute for a plot. Until the CGI battle at the end, I was a kind of bored.