IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 172: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Undeniably the best super-hero movie

Author: Ouk Samsomony from Phnom Penh, Cambodia
20 March 2015

Each plot of the movie make us curious of what comes next. The direct know how to manage every superheroes and villains in balance, all of them has unique strange. We keep wondering how Iron Man look so cool and why Captain America is a serious patriot. The effect and CGI are also outstanding. And as usual, Marvel will give so many easter eggs for geeks to find out. The success of this movie come up when Iron Man franchise along with Captain America: the first avenger and Thor released previous years. The Avenger can be main contender for best superheroes movies against DC's Dark Knight Rise though I prefer Marvel movies. I suggest all Marvel/superheroes movies lover to watch this movie. period.

A great blockbuster

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
18 March 2015

This film tells the story of a team of superheroes who save the world from an evil and ambitious extraterrestrial man.

Being a blockbuster, "The Avengers" does have all the elements to entertain the crowd. The idea of putting all the superheroes in one film is a good idea, because viewers get great value for the price of a ticket. The stellar cast and the constant action is quite amazing. The visual effects are great, especially the finale which lasts for an hour! The massive destruction of Manhattan is literally earth shattering, I was quite in awe of the aliens flying through the skyline, and all the action that goes on.

I enjoyed the film a lot.

Greatest superhero movie in history

Author: flblueeyedboy from United States
21 January 2015

Saw the preview at the end of Thor back in 2011... had to wait almost a year to experience the global phenomenon first-hand. The theater experience wasn't something to forget.

All in all, the title of this review says it all. 'Marvel's The Avengers' is quite possibly the greatest superhero movie in history. The combination of hardcore assassins Widow and Hawkeye, reclusive Banner, arrogant Iron Man, leader Cap and the Norse brothers Thor and Loki mixes itself together into a concoction of personalities and superpowers which guarantees to impress.

Marvel has set the bar high for themselves. Since its release, only a select few superhero movies have compared to it. And all of them have been Marvel!

Avengers is an amazing movie with an amazing cast

Author: Lucy Mernit from United States
30 October 2014

"The Avengers" brings together a group of extremely talented actors and epic superheroes, to create an action packed movie with hilarious banter laced into countless scenes. Superhero movies give actors a chance to play new characters with personalities they have never portrayed before. Chris Evans is the extremely passionate and kind hearted Captain America, while Robert Downey Jr is the tougher and sassier Iron Man. The film is very creative with introducing each character and later bringing them together. The villain, Loki Laufeyson, played by Tom Hiddleston, even shows his weak spots and is almost seen as part of the Avengers team. The actors have fantastic chemistry with each other on and off screen, and they make man- tights and capes look more fashionable than ever. The majority of the film is done by special effects, made by an amazing team. They transform New York City into a place for heroes, placing Tony Stark's towering house in the middle of the city. Even at the end of the film, the unsuspecting Tony Stark is willing to sacrifice himself for the good of everyone else. This is a wonderful movie to watch if you want to be thoroughly entertained while having your feeling played with at the same time.

a fabulous film that proved the dominant superhero films

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
21 October 2014

After all the films leading to this one we were promised the Avengers on screen and this film gave us that big time. This film sees a group of big personalities having to come together and defeat a mad man and his army from enslaving humanity. One of the most important parts of the build up to this film was Robert Downey jnr's performance as Tony stark/iron man, and he is just as awesome in this film. His character grows in all these films but he is still the narcissist that we love. Also Chris Evans as captain America was really important as he is the leader and comes across as the moral compass of the whole film but he isn't boring which is great for the character. The rest of the performances are great as well, first of all is the recasting of Mark ruffalo as Bruce banner/hulk and he was the biggest surprise in this film. He was great in both roles and the hulk has absolutely never been better then this film. Chris Hemsworth is back as Thor and this guy is absolutely seriously movie star and makes this character a great character full of personality. Scarlett Johansson returns as black widow and she is sexy and tough while also proving that she is also the best female in these superhero films around. Samuel L Jackson is back as Nick fury and he is great as the character and squeezes the most he can out of this great character. The one member of the team that isn't really developed is Hawkeye, he isn't really himself for the most of the movie but even then the last battle he becomes great. What is important in a film like this is having a great villain and Tom hiddlestone as Loki definitely succeeds at that. He is just so fun to watch and you buy that he could pull off all this destruction. Sometimes simplicity is best for a story and this is one of those times, it has happened before that a group of combustible elements have to team up but this film gets the most out of it and adds real drama to the film. The script is the best part of the film and the dialogue between the characters is what makes this film so enjoyable to watch because it makes all the characters feel unique and there own personalities. The style of this film is great, the action is all enjoyable and the film looks great but I have to mention the show stealer that is the incredible hulk. This is the best interpretation of the hulk and he looks better then ever and he is possibly the best character in the film. Overall this is one of my favourite films ever and this is a comic book fans dream.

The Avengers is okay, but not worth the hype.

Author: Bram Fieldsend from Harrogate, England
3 November 2013

When i sat down to watch the Avengers i had little if not any hope that i would enjoy it. But i was wrong, what happened when the film started was a collection of events that changed my "little hope" attitude into something much different. After the opening scene i was, to say the least, entertained. But, when i tasked myself with the painfully easy job of rating this film, all this film is...is entertainment. In a time of dazzling CGI and insanely fun action sequences, The Avengers lives up to the hype. But in a world of intriguing plot, immersing performances and emotional roller coaster rides, The Avengers is nothing but another Transformers movie. Let me elaborate.

Fans of the Marvel Comics will love this movie, because it does what it says on the tin, it effectively brings the heroes (not all of them, but some) together in a fist fight with a destructive foe. To a Marvel fan, this is gold. To a "film" fan, however, this movie is little more than a popcorn flick. People enjoying this movie is not my issue, i want people to enjoy movies, but when it comes to the rating systems on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes (etc) people have, wrongly, rated the Avengers near to the highest of all ratings. Films like the Godfather, ALIEN, Shane, Vertigo, Psycho, Blade Runner, Goodfellas, Jaws and many, many more films deserve the high rating because these are cinematic masterpieces. These are films which changed cinema, and have set the benchmark for all genres of today's films. But when i see The Avengers at the top of the ratings with them, it disgusts me. It should be rated fairly, on an accurate basis of how the film is crafted and the impact it makes, and for me it is a 4. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad movie. But, it is not a classic, nor by far a masterpiece, which renders most fans reviews redundant. People can love this movie, hell it can be there favorite movie of them all, but they need to understand it is nowhere near the Giants of cinema. Its not worth all the hype, but its fun. Its not a clever film (the themes have been done to death, and the twists are terrible) but its entertainment.

So, i bid you farewell.

The Avengers, a movie about six heroes and yet the villain is the most interesting character in it.

Author: soloriamagic08 from United States
28 August 2013

The Avengers,the story of a group of super-powered people (well some of them anyway) who are recruited by a secret agency to stop a threat that apparently one hero alone can't fight. Such lies.

Captain America,(Chris Evans)- the so called leader of the avengers. A nice person to the point of garystudom. He is one of the most boring characters in the movie. I watched the avengers for the first time a few months ago on Netflix, and Cap's origin movie was on there as well, and I tried to watch it but only got to the 30 minute mark and shut it off. I was bored to proverbial tears. I don't get the appeal. For me he has no presence and is as forgettable and boring as Hawkeye and Black Widow.

Ironman,(RDJ)- the real leader in my opinion. He seems to be the focus for most of the important plot points, and he is the one who untimely saves New-York. He just has a presence that the rest of them lacked. Where the heroes were concerned the movie was more like Ironman featuring the Avengers and I actually didn't have problem with that.Out of them all I loved his costume the most, and seeing him here has made me want to go out and see his origin movie and sequels.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth)- Thor is decent by himself, but the interest level really comes in when he's playing against Tom Hiddleston's Loki. Hemsworth and Hiddleston play well off each other. They have great chemistry and their love/hate brother dynamic is always fascinating to watch. This is a shame that this was barely touched on in Thor's own movie. Since to me the family dynamic is the meat of their stories. I loved watching their scenes in this movie (the little that we got to see of it) where we get to witness them bounce their dialogue and emotions off each other.

Thor as a character shines better when he is on his own planet. Or pretty much any planet not named Earth. It's like when he's on ours it nearly sucks out everything interesting about him.

Hawkeye( Jeremy Renner) and Black-Widow(Scarlett Johansson )- Two completely human characters fighting alongside super- powered people. Yea, really don't get that. They were wallpaper for me just like Captain America. When they were on screen it's like they were barely registering. I should not have a continuous question mark in my brain when it comes to a character.

Bruce Banner/The Hulk(MarkRuffalo)- I have never seen the hulk movies (apparently there are a fair few) or the TV show. My first foray into this character was in this movie. He is nervous and twitchy, but generally a nice person and I think Ruffalo pulled that off nicely.Then he turns into the Hulk…. I didn't like the Hulk. He's too godlike for one thing. Same problem I have with Thor and his kind. It takes the emotional stakes out of the character if it's pretty impossible for them to die. He also acts like an animal. Also not a fan of obvious CGI characters (huge green ones at that) being mains and running around with actual real people. It's very jarring in a bad way. I also don't think a full-blown movie works for him. His character works better in an ensemble or even better not part of the cast at all. As for the Bruce part of him well we already have a genius level scientist. Don't really need two. Overall I didn't enjoy the hulk and wanted him off my screen.

Loki (Tom Hiddleston) - the main villain who pretty much took over the movie by his first scene on down. Like in his co-origin movie 'Thor' he is a true scene stealer. I loved watching him. Hiddleston is a treasure to watch act this character out. If the academy wasn't such stuck- ups about fantasy/sci-fi movies I truly think he deserved an Oscar for his portrayal in this and the first 'Thor' movie. His acting for Loki is just brilliant.

However, no amount of scene stealing acting is going to erase that Whedon pretty much destroyed his overall character. He went from a sympathetic villain in 'Thor' to a complete monster punch line in this one. The tone of this movie wasn't serious enough in the first place with Whedon thinking he had to make everyone be a walking comedian, but I will never understand the logic of making your villain be the silliest thing in the movie.Sadly that is exactly what Whedon did. Loki was a pathetic villain.

He took a great character and made him into a joke. The last straw though was not the constant beat downs and jokes at his expense, but an encounter with one of the avengers toward the end of the movie. Loki as a villain had officially went into ludicrous territory at that point. However, what saved him as a character for me was no matter how silly his dialogue sounded at points, or how many times he kissed pavement, or just how overall ridiculous he was as a villain, Hiddleston acted his butt off as Loki. I couldn't take my eyes off the character. All I wish is that Loki from now on stays in the 'Thor' movies and that Joss Whedon doesn't get to touch the character ever again.

In summary the movie's tone was to comedic. It was like whedon was writing for the next bada bing instead of great emotional character moments. The dialogue was more cheesy and cliché then not.The CGI looked dated.There was no real emotional punch. I just didn't care if they lived or died. Although It wasn't like they were in any real danger of that happening in the first place since the movie overall lacked believable tension,and the villain was well acted but really pathetic as one.

One of the best superhero films to date

Author: Hayden from Melbourne, Australia
22 July 2016

Having watched this at least 10 times now, I can honestly say it's one of my all time favorites. It's a perfect Marvel film, corny as ever, full of great one-liners and epic fight scenes. Mark Ruffalo is hands-down my favorite Bruce Banner, it's a tough line-up to pick from but he's also my favorite actor in Avengers also. My only disappointment about this Hulk though is that each hit he takes doesn't make him grow stronger, it was one of the best parts about Eric Bana's Hulk that left you wondering if there was any limit to the Hulk's power and abilities. On the other hand, the animation is absolutely flawless, there's some seriously epic moments because of this, most of all the free-roaming camera shot that follows the battle throughout the city, moving from one fight to the next each time heroes cross paths.

Marvel Comic heroes to the rescue!!

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
16 July 2016

From the imagination of director/writer Joss Whedon, a powerful and loud action spectacle consumes the screen. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) of the global peacekeeping organization S.H.I.E.L.D. summons the services of the diverse and disparate group of heroes Captain America (Chris Evans), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Black Widow (Scarlett Johnansson), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and the Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), when the power hungry brother of Thor, Loki (Tom Hiddleston), is egotistical and brazen enough to attempt to control and rule the earth.

Outstanding special effects and cinematography. Sound is also a priority and contains a soundtrack that features AC/DC, Soundgarden, Emile Millar and The Takacs Quartet.

A myriad of other players in the cast: Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders, Stellan Skarsgard, Powers Boothe, Harry Dean Stanton, Jerzy Skolimowski, Gwyneth Paltrow, Donald Li, Alexis Denisof and Stan Lee.

In a nutshell: a must-see

Author: Daniel Natzke from Oregon
24 August 2015

This movie is frankly excellent. Watching it for the first time up until the fifth time (which for me was after Winter Soldier came out) was very very thrilling. To had a plot, first of all; one that might not show itself well the first time around, but is there nonetheless.

No character doesn't *need* to be present, and no character is out of place. Stark is there because of his father's affiliations with the Tesseract-goings-on, and later his new tower becomes the location of Loki's space-bridge-machine, because of his new energy that he created in Iron Man 2. Cap is there because, well, the Tesseract is the subject of the film's conflict. He is neither cannon fodder nor useless - sure, his action sequences in this movie aren't outstanding like they are amazingly in CA:WS, but since that movie existed afterwards, it doesn't matter. Thor is there because his brother is the antagonist; he in fact has more reason to be in the circle of protagonists more than the other Avengers. Banner is present because he was needed to locate the Tesseract when it was stolen (plain and simple), Barton because, well, he was a Shield agent at the first facility we see, overtaken by Loki's scepter, then et cetera. And Romanoff because, well, she's a major Shield agent who is an elite fighter, as well as the only female of the team.

As for the biggest plot-complaints I have seen: The reason Loki wanted to be captured on the Helicarrier is so that he could disturb the harmony of the team and "set off" Hulk, knowing also that with his teleport-trick he'd be able to Lure Thor and escape... and lastly the reason Banner in New York, after arriving by motorcycle, is able to immediately turn into the Hulk, is because of the ability that is evident at the very end of Incredible Hulk; him being able to voluntarily become angry. No single Avenger dominates the plot. This movie has clever transitions when each Avenger is first seen, has no ex-machinas, no over-abundance of jokes, absolutely no lack of clever lines and dialogue (I refer mainly to Loki w/ Fury), no lack of six-vs-aliens action, great acting, and a sensible ending. Whedon's direction/directing of this film is more than "meh pretty good" - and this movie was only overrated when its fan-hype was still alive. It doesn't "become more mediocre of a film" once more thrilling MCU installments have come out.