IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 168: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Sterling, Hilarious Entertainment

Author: Jl Raven (Amara_Red) from United Kingdom
12 March 2015

Iron Man stole my heart, this manages to steal my heart and soul. Initially I doubted that Iron Man could be improved on. I was wrong. Thanks to the excellence of Whedon, this film is rip roaring entertainment. The effects are awesome and furthermore the arc of each individual character is given time so that we can get to know the players in this film. One hell of a film, it deserves all the praise that has been heaped onto it.

The storyline follows the avengers assemble as an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security. Nick Fury, director of the international peacekeeping agency S.H.I.E.L.D. brings together the group to stop him, recover the Tesseract and stop the world from being destroyed right before their eyes. All of the characters in this are fantastic.

Downey as Iron Man is his usual arrogant, funny self. He personally had some of the best lines in the film, to the point I was laughing with tears in my eyes. Of them all the scene when he is quoting Shakespeare in the park is pure brilliance. But thanks to the direction you also see a decidedly different part to the character. That shyness that exists past the front he brings to the part, the sensitive side that is tangibly real. It's rewarding to see Downey act and flourish not just as the superhero but the man beneath the suit.

So much praise has to go to Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk. I'll be frank and say until this film I had not seen an actor who felt right for the part. Eric Bana was always a little meh, Edward Norton never fit for me and I've been long waiting for an actor to take over who could be everything we needed of such a complex hero and it is Ruffalo. There's this sweetness, shyness and sharpness to the character. He doesn't talk a lot and unlike the others his lines were pretty small but what he lacks in dialogue he makes up for in action and he personally speaking has one of the GREATEST lines in this film by far and two of the funniest scenes that resulted in me rolling in laughter on the floor. Should they ever make another Hulk film I hope they continue with Ruffalo, he's perfectly suited to the role.

The Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) both are fantastic, I especially liked Hemsworth as he played the role with a emphasis of wariness.. Since in this Thor is more of the outsider, in a world he is naive to, he acted incredibly well and is all the more sweeter for it. Johansson as the Black Widow, forget acting, I just spent a large portion checking her out in the suit. Yes, I do have a one track mind.

She did fantastic with the role though so credit where it's due. And then as Loki we had the wonderful Tom Hiddleston, he owned the role and yes he's the deplorable character but there is something about him that is distinctly sweet. It's not often that I find myself confused on how to see the bad guy but he's an example. Where I should hate him, I don't and when I shouldn't, I do. He's a fun conundrum and a lot of fun on screen. Against a variety of strong performers, he comes out swinging and you'll be hard pressed not to love this enigmatic character.

As with any Whedon-fied project, the score is fantastic. Not too overbearing, not too soft... it's the sort of music that when it's reaching a particular crescendo hits that height well and gets the pulse racing. There's a tenderness to the beat and equally a fast pace that continues to drum on the excitement on screen. I find myself asking why I would even mention the special effects since we all know the answer to this question: were they good? HELL yeah! Let's face it if you went to see this film for ultra deep meaning you went to the wrong film. The predominant feature past the acting and pithy jokes is the SFX. And they do not disappoint.

What struck me as quite funny is that I had reservations. How can you have a superhero assemble flick without some major effects alongside yet can they look too fake at times? Respect to Whedon purely because he manages to make the SFX look natural even with the CGI aspect they didn't feel as if they overrode the film and actually made everything feel more fluid. I really could spend several pages dissecting and stating what rocks about Avengers Assemble and even what doesn't but really why bother? The only thing that anyone needs to know is this is worth seeing and loving for the fast paced, enjoyable entertainment it is.

A note of caution however: some fans are saying that to love this film you need to have a good knowledge of the superheroes from previous films. I kindly disagree. I have a decent enough knowledge of the players to knew who was what and about the previous story.

Don't be put off if you haven't seen anything prior to it. Final word: "The Avengers Assemble" is a fantastic, pedal to the metal film that for the 2 hour plus mark doesn't feel that long. It goes by so fast that you will need to buckle in for the ride. Nonetheless this is the most fun I've had in a long time and something everyone will enjoy if they give it the chance. Top notch and a thoroughly deserving 8 out of 10.

Simple and predictable

Author: Rasmus Arvidsson from Sweden
15 June 2014

I chose to watch this movie because it got a great score here on IMDb, but (like many others said) that must obviously be fake (paying people to vote or just paying to raise the score directly?).

I add a score on just 1 star to make the average more at level with what the movie deserves (around 5-6 stars). It does it's job of showing super heroes fight with lots of special effects, and nothing more. You don't develop any bond to any character. You know exactly what will happen and you know no hero will die. If they did die your reaction would just be: "huh..", because you didn't develop feelings for them anyway.

Always disappointing.

Author: ChaosStar from Australia
12 December 2013

It seems like besides Nolan's Batman and The Punisher, I am doomed to never appreciate the dull action/super hero films that seem to sweep the film world and produce millions of misguided teen action junkies. This would be a gem for cinema experience of huge 200 inch TV's but there is a reason these films never gain academy awards genuine ground breaking respect aside from budget and ratings.

The point of this review is just an opinionated rant to quarrel with the repetitive plots and average performances that people seem to just eat up and refuse to expand fantastic cinema experience because they're long and to them 'boring'

I can state what's boring, A hero is at the height of their average power, suddenly they encounter an ability or change that makes them more powerful and nearly worshiped (Iron Man, Thor, Cpt America, Batman, Spiderman) Now a girl or love interest that comes along and makes them vulnerable or around the time where they become vulnerable because typically, these films have to take their powers away. (Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk, Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine and Superman) Now they are usually hated at this point because they can't protect the masses or their loved ones or are just in doubt if they should pick up their dusty war torn mantle. (Iron Man, Batman, Hulk and Wolverine) And the bad guy is defeated, the girl is usually saved except poor old batman. (Wolverine, Iron Man, Spiderman, The Hulk.) DO you see where I am leading too? Do people like watching the same stuff just wearing a different cape? (metaphore for the smarties out there)

I am a fan of Kurbick, Tarentino, Del Toro (whoops I am a Hellboy fan), Scorsese, Finch, Mendes, Aronofsky, Eastwood and Anderson fan among others, and I know the guidelines between a film for fun and a film for what is described as 'moving art' or groundbreaking visual emotion and plot. Oh for a suggestion for some pretty slick action films that have earned respect, try Leon the Professional, Heat, Bunraku and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Black Comedy as well)

Hero-Palooza

Author: dunmore_ego from Los Angeles, California
2 January 2013

Shakespearean lightning and thunder arrows, red white and blue shields and golden armor, emerald rage and badass Morpheus long-coat, and Scarlett Johansson's leather Pearbottom.

Oh AVENGERS, how sweet thou fury! The god Loki (Tom Hiddleston, Brit-leering and still looking like Data from STAR TREK GENERATIONS) has come to Earth from Asgard to conquer and destroy. And Earth's mightiest heroes are there to punch him a lot.

Seems kinda ineffectual and unimaginative that against literal magical/divine foes, the best retaliation that can be mustered by the writers of this mega-superhero tale (Zak Penn and Joss Whedon) is that the heroes "punch" demons flying around on bad motor scooters. (Even the grand resolution, though a jaw-dropping sequence, is nothing more than the old "destroy-the-source-to-destroy-the-minions" gambit.)

And what does Loki want with Earth anyway? As we saw in THOR (2011), Asgard was a pretty bodacious LSD-colorized dazzlegarden. Is he here for the fabulous Grilled Prime Côte de Boeuf at Spago? Is Loki after our Arab oil? Our blood diamonds? Our white women? Taking his cues from Dick Cheney, his plan seems to be conquest for the sake of conquest, no exit strategy, no goal. And he's using a cutting-edge science concept to do it: the tesseract (or hypercube theory), a wormhole joining two distant points in space-time. Loki allies with a croaky guy named The Other (whose helmet looks like it was fashioned from dog turds) and they order their demon-riders to spurt through the wormhole to Earth and break things. Some plan!

Dim plot aside, THE AVENGERS is overseen by Marvel (the studio that can do little wrong when pumping out A-List superhero blockbusters) and fashioned by writer-director Joss Whedon (the man from FIREFLY, who can also do little wrong with his iconoclastic approach). Highly enjoyable movie experience ensues.

Not only are there big stupid CGI things and Pretty Orange Explosions aplenty, there is heart and poignancy and humor, uncertain alliances between heroes, petty arguments, snappy dialog, human frailty and godlike wrath. And Scarlet Johansson's leather Pearbottom.

Whedon does it again - imbues this ostensibly kickapoo punch-em-up movie with real personality. Even if you did not meet the individual heroes in their own films over the past few years, they are each presented as a throbbing personality crisis, no emotion spared. Except maybe for Captain America (Chris Evans), whose wooden delivery makes us suspect he landed this job on the cerulean dreaminess of his eyes. You see, he's frozen his facial muscles in place, for fear that if he moves them one iota, he'll stop looking super-pretty. And Jesus! - look at the size of his biceps!

And then we see Chris Hemsworth's biceps - and they're even bigger! Hemsworth once again brings the hammer as thunder god Thor on mad steroids; half-brother to Loki, and therefore forced to speak in a British accent (for an Aussie, that's an eternal annoyance).

Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark/Iron Man, now plonking his ginger assistant Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow cameo), and bequeathed the best dialog; so cheeky, arrogant and sarcastic that Brad Pitt called from OCEAN'S ELEVEN and wanted his insouciance back. His armor is the damned coolest thing about this movie, and when he is flying up into the wormhole firing his hand-blasters at demons, his power is awe-inspiring. Now if only he had an iron Pearbottom...

Bruce Banner/Hulk is dork-cool Mark Ruffalo. Love that guy; perfectly cast as the most unruffled guy in the room (unruffaloed?), even though harboring the most internal rage. In this third major movie featuring the Hulk (after HULK and THE INCREDIBLE HULK), he can apparently change green at will. "That's my secret - I'm always angry!" (Hey, I must be a Hulk!) Banner and Stark exchange much tech jargon that means absolutely nothing, but their quiet moments are powerful.

Matter of fact, all the heroes have their portion of quiet time, which director Whedon effortlessly makes compelling, and their dissent is the most interesting element of the movie. Marvel Comics were always canny at setting up Marvel Team-Ups where the moral ambiguity of the situation set heroes at odds with one another - and Whedon somehow captured that lightning.

Down the list, we have archer Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), who can apparently claim superhero status because he has good aim and his arrows explode. I guess Rambo can fill out that application form then. Hawkeye and thigh-jitsu expert Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) have been re-rendered by this movie franchise as two CIA assassins with a spanky sexual tension. One would think these two mere humans would get lost amidst the super soldiers, iron men and gods, but again, Whedon gives us even their little patticake moments and doesn't lose our interest. And did I mention Scarlett Johansson's leather Pearbottom?

Samuel L. Jackson's role as Nick Fury, director of SHIELD (some kind of unnecessary homeland security contrivance), has been elevated from that of annoying eye-patch cameo during the stinger of Marvel movies, to annoying eye-patch starring role; wearing his custom leather, flying around in his invisible aircraft carrier, and constantly whining that Earth can't handle these threats so we have to assemble a team that can. May I suggest Angie's List?

Clark Gregg appears for the umpteenth time as SHIELD Agent Coulson, now with a first name, Phil, and a predilection for Captain America trading cards (like the rest of us he-men, going bi for Cap's biceps).

Cobie Smulders is here as eye candy. I guess one leather Pearbottom just wasn't enough.

In the final telling, THE AVENGERS will thrill with its stunning action, thoughtful characterization, and the simple fact that Marvel managed to cram all these colorful icons onto one bombastic piece of celluloid. And did I mention Scarlett Johansson's leather Pearbottom?...

--Poffy The Cucumber

Loud, Long, 110% Special Effects

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 September 2012

Has the global situation grown so bleak that the populace has regressed to comic books for escapism entertainment? Judging by the enormous popularity of everything cinematic based on superheroes and sci-fi extravaganzas I suppose the answer is 'Yes!' To sit in one place for an excess of 2 ½ hours and witness the destruction derby that is the apocalyptic bad guys (in the form of a light spear carrying Loki (Tom Hiddleston) against Samuel L. Jackson's SHIELD cast of make-believe folks - Robert Downey, Jr in armor, Chris Evans in his Captain America Halloween costume, Mark Ruffalo unconvincingly transforming into the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as hammer wielding Thor, Scarlett Johansson as a pretty Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye all out to make life sustainable for the leasers like Stellan Skarsgård, Clark Gregg, and Colbie Smulders - is a feat in itself.

For movies of this type this one has more color and imaginative loco devices that most and therefore I suppose it remains at the top of the heap. When will these characters run out of tales? The answer likely is 'When the movie public stops ling up for these epics.'

Grady Harp

Most overrated movie of all time

Author: cyasin95 from United States
28 August 2012

The movie was absolute trash. Horrible scripts, least menacing villain ever, no chemistry between the actors, and mundane story line. The movie was immensely over hyped and definitely does not deserve anything near a 8.5 rating. Its alright as a kids movie. It does not come anywhere near the unprecedented standards set by the dark knight or for that matter does not even come close to spiderman 2. The movie is often commended for its humor. In my opinion the humor is extremely dry and futile. Nothing special at all, despite its box office success it would have been better off as an animated movie. So if you want watch at least a decent super hero flick you might as well pick up Watchmen, X-men first class, Spider man 1 or 2 and of course the batman trilogy.

I hated it

Author: v-biketov from United States
22 November 2012

I had very high expectations for this movie, after seeing that it got > 8.5/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Needless to say, this movie was a disaster. 65% of the movie was full of them talking about how they are going to "kick some ass" while the other 35% was them actually doing the deed. This movie's ending was very predictable and was like every other superhero movie ever created. I can not imagine why someone would give this terrible film a rating greater than 1/10.

Bad Pitiful Terrible Horrible

you ain't missing much (except 2 hours of Living)

Author: leal-895-895113 from United States
2 October 2012

Seriously, unless you are the stereotypical fanboy/testosterone/drunken-viewer type, this will be 85% a waste of your time. The other 15%? A few funny lines throughout, the talk between Thor & Loki (right before Ironman interferes), the ensuing battle between "shellhead" and the Thunder God, and Hulk wiping the floor with Loki. So, if you are too stoned/drunk/tranquilized-by-Marlin-Perkins, this campy cinema won't kill you. (unless you sober up quick and live near a high precipice!) And really, it could be worse, like if they'd used Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan (drunk/drugged) to play The Black Widow. Or maybe if they'd gotten George Costanza to get into it with Doc Banner over eating the last muffin top...

Not the reboot I was hoping for

Author: PlugInYourBrain from Australia
29 August 2012

The good: Robert Downey Jr. is charming as ever. Scarlett Johannsen is delicious as ever. Chris Evans makes a great Captain America. Mark Ruffalo turned in a good performance as David Banner. Samuel Jackson is usual Bad-ass self. Did I leave anyone out? The CGI is up to today's usual high standard. Oh I nearly forgot: The Thor guy was pretty cool too, though why does a Scandinavian God speak with a British Accent?

The bad: There's no plot. Loki is a 1-dimensional villain. He "wants to be king." He wants people to submit. That's it. That's all there is.

I expected more from Joss Whedon, like the incredible reboot J. J. Abrams was able to deliver Star Trek. Damn it! I don't really care much for Star Trek, but Abrams had me nearly crying at the start of that movie.

Instead with Avengers we get another paint-by-numbers Superhero movie. You *can* make a Superhero movie with Heart! Look at the original Superman, or more recently Dark Knight and even Kick Ass. I want action and plenty of it, but I also want to connect with the characters on screen.

The problem with Avengers is that connection isn't there and there's not a lot happening either. The production values are high, but that's no substitute for a plot. Until the CGI battle at the end, I was a kind of bored.

Take Nodoz

Author: learn204
11 June 2013

Take a dozen writers and a dozen directors. Keep each in the dark. Refuse to allow any of them to talk to one another. Then have an intern collate all the scripts and hand a part of the script to each director. After each director has shot his or her portion, hand those portions to other interns and have them splice it together to make a film and try to convince the public that it is a unified film.

It has too many story lines with far too much going on. I was almost cheering for the villains to win as I cared nothing for any of the heroes, and yes, I understand the concept of the flawed Marvel hero. It dragged more than Ru Paul and had more holes than Swiss Cheese. I could almost predict the dialog and the plot turning points. Dull, dull, dull. I'm a fan of all of the characters, and this film destroyed any greatness that they had.

It all comes down to a script. It's like building a skyscraper on quicksand.

Some of the special effects were cool, but that's not worth the price of admission.