IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 173: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The most overrated film of all time. It's just not good.

Author: Matt Cipolla (CipollaM926@gmail.com) from Michigan, United States
26 April 2013

It may be mildly entertaining, but it's still just other very long and slow mix of tired battle scenes and some wooden, masturbatory, borderline cringe-worthy dialogue, all leading to a predictable ending. There were a couple good laughs but that doesn't really make up for the fact that this was over two hours and twenty minutes. Robert Downey, Jr. was the best part because his sarcasm is great. It's too bad I can't really say much about the rest. And keep in mind, I genuinely like the Iron Man movies and Captain America.

Here, everyone's already established and undefeatable. What's the point of having characters that you can't root for, and therefore you don't care about the outcome? They never hit rock bottom, therefore there's no end to the second act, therefore the whole film is completely unsatisfying. And again, it's boring. Two and a half hours leading to an obligatorily happy and sequel-welcoming ending. Dear Lord, change it up.

Why was The Dark Knight Trilogy good? Because it had human characters that had legitimate weaknesses, therefore carrying on the plot that had the characters grow, and if they died, we felt sad. Why? Because we cared for them. Why did we feel bad for James Bond in Casino Royale? We believed he loved Vesper and the third act was made with an emotional punch. Why did we care for Silva in Skyfall? He was a great villain because he was funny, menacing, fantastically portrayed by Javier Bardem, and his motives had a believable character background. M captivated our interest, and it was a well-developed, terrifically-acted character that had great mother-son chemistry with Bond. The Avengers has none of that, just pretty cities that go boom, slapstick humor and throwaway lines, all on repeat. The characters interact with each other like annoying small children, and the same dialogue constantly put on repeat made me so bored.

4/10, bad, below average, horrifically overrated, two thumbs down, etc.

Seriously? 8.2?

Author: Mimi Mish
5 August 2013

So: Get as many superheroes as you can, put them into THE most obvious cliché superhero story that ever existed, add some hot girls (including aunt Robin from that unfunny show that's kind of like Friends) and, of course, super cool special effect and you can be assured that the 13 year old kids on IMDb will make sure it has the same rating as On the Waterfront, The Deer Hunter and Pan's Labyrinth.

Maybe Nolan proved that superhero movies can be much more than a display of how much money you put into special effects, but this is exactly that. This is as predictable and as unoriginal as it gets. But of course, putting a bunch of superheroes together and bringing a bunch of fan bases together and making a bunch of money along the way was a genius idea. And pretty much the only one.

Great effects wasted on a kindergarten movie

Author: lionhrt from United States
29 June 2013

I really enjoyed the earlier ones but this was really dumbed down.

With very little effort they could have made this a great movie.

You cannot defy laws of physics in special effects or it becomes completely 5 year old cartoon nonsense. That is the problem here.

Be logical with the scenes instead of being lazy. The graphics capability is there so don't cheapen it my taking short cuts.

It distracts from the entire movie.

That, and great effects mixed in with the most primitive of video overdubbing. In many scenes you can plainly see the backdrop with people standing in front of it. You'd think you were watching a 1940s film with overdubbing ... geeesh.

Come on, do it right or don't do it at all.

Comic Book Heroes

Author: jfarms1956 from United States
7 April 2013

This movie is meant for those 8 and up. It is also meant for those who like SciFi Fantasy. The Avengers, a group of single comic book heroes, get together to save the world from Lokki. Samuel Jackson, the head of the Earth's protective forces, plays his role well. The characters are shallow, but let's face it, it's comic book time. It is fast paced and contains interesting toys and gadgets. It works as a great party movie. I loved the sets, the colors, and the characters, all in one film. Thor even comes to the rescue. All in all, the movie is very entertaining and is well worth its greater than 2 hour booty killer time. Get a bowl of pop corn and a group of friends, turn this movie into a SciFi party. I give it 5 thumbs up.

Disappointing

Author: fisheric26 from United States
28 September 2012

With all the positive reviews and word-of-mouth about this movie (not to mention the box office receipts) I went into this movie expecting to be wowed. I'm talking wowed along the lines of what I was having left the theater the first time I saw The Dark Knight. I waited and waited and waited. I was never wowed.

Now, this wasn't a bad movie by any means - it just didn't come anywhere close to being as good as it was advertised. Iron Man and the Hulk were scene-stealers, Hawkeye, Capt. America and Black Widow were OK and every time Thor had to utter a line, it made me want to cringe (his character was so overacted by Chris Hemsworth). But most disappointing of all, the villain was a total wimp - not scary, not menacing and not cool whatsoever. (Not to mention the regurgitated plot lines: alien takeover, yeah didn't see that in the final Transformers installment; Loki being captured, wasn't that part of the Joker's plan in TDK?; etc) Overall, not a bad movie - but lower your expectations. It's fun and entertaining, but not a whole lot else.

Not so good

Author: yazilimmimari from istanbul, Turkey
6 June 2012

I watched. But I couldn't' t like it very much. This is action movie but i could see action just twenty minutes. Shortly %15 action, %10 mythology %75 dialog.

In my opinion; Captain America movie is OK, Hulk movies is OK, Iron man movies OK, S.H.I.E.L.D movie is OK. But hero's team movie avengers is poor than others.

This is movie which you can watch in your spare time. 8.6 rating is too much for this movie. it can be around 5 average. Also movie action scenes look like computer game trailer. Movie story is better than movie digitized action scenes. This movie hasn't got story enough.

Manure and smudge

Author: Lisa Berglund from Sweden
24 March 2016

Does anyone remember how you or other children when you were young was playing with action figures and came up with the most crappy adventures you can imagine? Like when Batman and Buzz Lightyear climbed your parent's bookshelf, Godzilla splashed and murdered The Lego figures in the bathtub filled with foam, or when He-man saved Barbie from The Street Sharks? Well ... It must have been that kind of games that Joss Whedon was playing that made him think of this extremely embarrassing and bad idea of a movie.

The Avengers is the definition of what a bad American action movie produced in Hollywood is. I understand why Marvel emptied out the whole toy box when they made the comic in the 60's so children could have something to read when they pooped on the toilet so it stank mashed potatoes with spinach, but who comes up with the idea to make a movie today, in the beginning of the second millennium, which is about a soldier from the 40's waking up from a coma after several years, only to discover that The Hulk, Ironman and some damn archer wants to fight gangsters and monsters with him. And not to forget! a god from another planet with a big hammer. So what's the plot? Exactly, what is this movie about more than that all these famous cartoon characters meet each other and it's epic for the win? Apparently that they are going to stop the mischievous Loki and his alien army from enslaving humanity. Wow! That sounds almost as exciting as if Scrooge Mcduck built a large magnet which robbed humanity of all the money in the world and The Avengers were forced to team up with Donald Duck and his nephews. A movies like that would break the roof on Box Office in no time. Because that's what it's all about, to make money and sell more toys to children. If you want to see animated characters get together, you might as well see The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones or House of Mouse instead.

This is the worst and most embarrassing movie I've ever seen.

Seeing this movie was as disgusting as eating at McDonald's after a long road trip filled with vomit and radio music. Those of you who appreciate this kind of movies might as well play pocket pool with candy in your mouths. DISGUSTING!

It's dumb movie, with nothing to say

Author: rosvel92
3 January 2016

Joss Wheddon can't direct, wish Jhon Favreau had been given the creative freedom he requested.

It makes X-men: The Last Stand look good, which is not a good compliment.

The cast is good, but the dialogue is terrible, interactions between characters are bad, people don't talk like real people, somehow all feel out of character, they talk like people throwing jokes to an audience which is painfully awkward to watch. Dangerously close to self parody territory, I refuse to believe parts of the movie happened.

Fails on having a plot of it's own. Also fails as a sequel to the previous movies, and If you were doing, a marathon I would tell you to skip this as somehow despite featuring so many characters the plot is irrelevant to all of them.

Half characters are portrayals is inconsistent to the previous movies: -Hulk has new actor and personality, the character is so rebooted it doesn't even feels like it happens in the same Cannon as the Hulk movie. -Loki goes from trying to become King by deceiving Thor out of Asgard, to making a genocidal killing spree on Earth (How does killing people on Earth helps him to become King Asgard? ANswer: It doesn't), Thor is told his brother kills people he says his bro is adopted (That's just awful dialogue, if Thor takes it as a joke, how am I supposed to take the movie seriously? There's no emotional conflict). -Captain America it's just there, but never does anything. -Ironman starts as a douche and by the end isn't, for the third time, the same transformation he experienced on Ironman 1, and also on Ironman 2. - The arrow guy is brainwashed, so he never really gets to talk, and the girl is a generic though token girl, that never gets developed.

Somehow the army on the climax, looks CGI paper weight, they don't even put up a fight, makes it seem like even a normal civilian could hit and destroy them, with such a weak evil army why even bother in the first place. There's no twist, no stakes, never anything feels at risk. The heroes have the upper hand through the whole movie, they win without never ever making any effort. The action is disappointing, because it's just stupid hits, no stunts, no creative fight set pieces.

The Dark Knight deserved the Oscar Nomination, given to this film, Ironman Armor, and Hulk look good, but the CGI Army looks fake generic awful.

If you watch it might entertain you, but movie is awful, if this becomes the future of Superhero movies, then the genre might die soon.

Feel free to disagree but I think, Avengers it's so overrated I do sadly think Disney paid critics.

A Big Super Hero Fan Setup

Author: hardcoreconkerfan26 from United States
18 January 2013

This movie was simply 6 letter's in 1 word, "Boring". Why you may ask? Well, it's best to start from the beginning.

I was expecting a great movie featuring several different superhero in 1 screen, I was so hyped that I got as many friends as I can to see it but some couldn't go so I only invited a few. God the movie was so hyped that there was a huge line and I mean huge and all of those people were gonna go see the same film that I was gonna see. So once I walked in and waited for almost 20 minutes for the movie to start, that is when the big disappointment began. Such a boring introduction and lame character revilement. No creativity, no second thought, no built up, nothing. Feels more like an introduction to Jersey Shore and Transformers than an actual Marvel Film. But I got to admit, the begging scene where Thor's brother appears reminds me of halo (atleast the first one) so that's pretty cool but too bad the scene itself sucked no matter what. The other negatives that made this film a disappointment is the lack of any real character imitations. Thor brother was the prime example of this along with the childish predictable jokes you hear from them. The acting and written for Thor's brother was pathetic and pointless that without he's mighty powers he's nothing but a wimp or the actor himself was just a wimp from the beginning. He looks to be about 50 years old and doesn't resemble any appears of Thor what's so ever, all they do is just put on the costume and that's it. So what about the clichéd jokes I mentioned? Well, there stupid, childish, out of place for a movie that is suppose to be quality entertainment (then again it was terrible and nothing new) and once you hear the first joke, you will automatically know that all the jokes will be the same kind of thing threw out the whole movie. I will admit that I did laugh at some moments but it struck me to be unpleasant and very lazy for a movie like this or any other. In fact, I was so bored and unpleased that I wanted to leave right when black widow appears cause it was so boring. But I didn't cause I wouldn't want to hurt my friends's feeling's that I invited them to a movie and wanted to leave once we began watching it. So I stayed and watched the rest of the movie. It took about half of the movie just so all of heroes can appear and an interesting note I might add is that Edward Norton who played as Bruce Banner in the incredible hulk (2008) was replaced when I was expecting him to be in it. So I was disappointed with that cause he was great as Bruce Banner. The ending climates with the avengers and Thor's Brother was lame as well. Sure some of the action is cool but some other action scence suck and it used special/sound effects from transformers and that sucks. When I think of action from the avengers I would predict it to be Dragon Ball Z without energy waves or teleportation. But no it just felt dull. So, what I did I really think of the movie overall? Well, to put it short and bluntly this is what I said in my mind when the movie ended "THIS MOVIE SUCKED!!! WHAT A SETUP FROM MARVEL TO DISGRACE SUCH HEROES THAT WERE GOOD TILL THIS MOVIE CAME OUT! MARVEL MUST OF KNEW THAT A WHOLE BUNCH OF MARVEL FANBOYS WERE GONNA GO SEE THIS MOVIE CAUSE IT HAD THEIR FAVORITE HEROES IN ONE BIG SCREEN! NOT A SECOND THOUGHT ON HOW IT WILL PLAY OUT, ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS WHO'S IN IT?! Wow, what a waste of money and time I wasted on such a worthless movie like this. FIRST THEY RUINED SPIDERMAN AND NOW THIS?! WHAT A SETUP!." That's how I really felt like when I finished watching this movie. And you want to know what was the saddest part about it is?! A bunch of people said it was amazing and the best movie of the year! B******! Worst movie of the year you mean! And worst super hero movie I've ever seen in general. I recommend you all take my advice and don't waste your time on such dread cause it's not worth it. Don't Listen to what to the people who liked this movie cause they're only saying it cause there just so depended on Marvel that they think anything with their superhero will be good. At this point and on I don't really like Marvel at all anymore. The Avengers ruined it for me. Time to official move on to DC like everyone else would do. And the ones who haven't, wake up and see reality that your pointless Marvel Heroes are Zeros. My god this movie was so Bad when I think about it I feel embarrassed that I sat down and really watched the whole movie and didn't leave right when I felt like going to sleep like everyone else would. But I give this movie a 3/10 just because the beginning reminded me of Halo. But besides that the movie itself was so incredible boring and very unoriginal, don't forget it was predictable too. In fact when I was watching half of the movie I completely forget what the plot was really about. Another thing is that the movie feels more like a sequel to Thor than actual teamed up superhero movie. So, don't see The Avengers but go watch The Dark Knight Rises instead. That was a far better movie than The Avengers. Thanks for reading and I hope you take my advice. Good Bye, Your gonna need it.

a very good superhero movie

Author: hr-boege-546-170392 from Denmark
19 December 2012

first of all, i didn't watch that many superhero movies, so i sadly don't know much about the different characters and their universes. but i like the idea of bringing them all together in a single movie, and for me it works. the whole concept is a great idea, and the story is really good and exciting. i also love the effects, and the different characters that are thrown together. i also love that it portrays superheroes with different strengths, but also their weaknesses. they aren't portrayed as superhuman, as you could expect, they all have many things to learn, and their flaws. so what more can i say, (as a guy that don't know anything about marvels universes), else than it is really recommendable, and it deserves top score.