IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 169: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Lacks personality

Author: adamsjost from Ann Arbor, Michigan
6 November 2013

While I found the action and story decently pleasing overall, I think the movie spread itself incredibly thin in terms of characterization and as such suffers from a distinct lack of personality. I understand that Marvel thought they could forego character development because each character had their own movie (with the exception of the Hulk, as this version is a reboot), I think that there needs to be a lot more going on in order for the characters to be likable. All of the dialogue is either puns, one-liners, or witticisms, as if the movie is one big joke and the actors are constantly winking at the audience. The action and story are pleasing and well thought out, but the characters are completely lacking.

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: horseygurlz from United Kingdom
24 December 2012

The danger with every superhero movie is that it will end up either horrifically unrealistic or unappealing to anyone over the age of ten. I am pleased to say that 'The Avengers' does not fall into either of these pitholes - in fact, it has to be awarded the title of one of the best films of 2012.

The actors were all amazingly casted in their respective roles and do an amazing job of creating intriguing and lovable characters. Many of them were reprising roles they had taken on in previous films - Captain America, Thor or Iron Man, for example - so we already had a good idea of how they would perform, but I feel they all exceeded expectations. Robert Downey Jr was incredible as the humorous yet conflicted Tony Stark/ Iron Man, and Chris Evans was brilliant as the confused, out-of-time Steve Rogers/ Captain America. Mark Ruffalo, the newbie of the cast, stepped into the role of Bruce Banner/ Hulk with great skill and dispersed all doubts as to his suitability. On the other side, Tom Hiddleston really has to be congratulated for his convincing and somehow relatable performance as the villain Loki, whose wit and tricks appealed to fans everywhere.

The special effects in this movie were undoubtedly excellent, and despite their need to be ostentatious never seemed unnecessarily unrealistic. The director Joss Whedon did a fabulous job and has created a cinematic classic that will be praised for years to come.

I hated it

Author: v-biketov from United States
22 November 2012

I had very high expectations for this movie, after seeing that it got > 8.5/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Needless to say, this movie was a disaster. 65% of the movie was full of them talking about how they are going to "kick some ass" while the other 35% was them actually doing the deed. This movie's ending was very predictable and was like every other superhero movie ever created. I can not imagine why someone would give this terrible film a rating greater than 1/10.

Bad Pitiful Terrible Horrible

you ain't missing much (except 2 hours of Living)

Author: leal-895-895113 from United States
2 October 2012

Seriously, unless you are the stereotypical fanboy/testosterone/drunken-viewer type, this will be 85% a waste of your time. The other 15%? A few funny lines throughout, the talk between Thor & Loki (right before Ironman interferes), the ensuing battle between "shellhead" and the Thunder God, and Hulk wiping the floor with Loki. So, if you are too stoned/drunk/tranquilized-by-Marlin-Perkins, this campy cinema won't kill you. (unless you sober up quick and live near a high precipice!) And really, it could be worse, like if they'd used Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan (drunk/drugged) to play The Black Widow. Or maybe if they'd gotten George Costanza to get into it with Doc Banner over eating the last muffin top...

Take Nodoz

Author: learn204
11 June 2013

Take a dozen writers and a dozen directors. Keep each in the dark. Refuse to allow any of them to talk to one another. Then have an intern collate all the scripts and hand a part of the script to each director. After each director has shot his or her portion, hand those portions to other interns and have them splice it together to make a film and try to convince the public that it is a unified film.

It has too many story lines with far too much going on. I was almost cheering for the villains to win as I cared nothing for any of the heroes, and yes, I understand the concept of the flawed Marvel hero. It dragged more than Ru Paul and had more holes than Swiss Cheese. I could almost predict the dialog and the plot turning points. Dull, dull, dull. I'm a fan of all of the characters, and this film destroyed any greatness that they had.

It all comes down to a script. It's like building a skyscraper on quicksand.

Some of the special effects were cool, but that's not worth the price of admission.

The most overrated bad movie of all time

Author: pimentel9
27 March 2013

This movie is retarded. Humanity must have seriously degraded if people consider this piece of crap the best of the best in cinema. I can't believe this movie is just two points away from the same rating for scarface. That movie was awesome, not this piece of crap. I think the movie order should go like this; #1 The Godfather, #2 Scarface, #3 Star Wars Episode VI Return Of The Jedi, #4 Alien, #5 Titanic. Those movies are legendary, but this movie? This movie is no where near legendary. I would rate this movie a zero but since i can't pick that i guess i'll go with one star. This movie has the most predictable plot ever, to sum it up it goes like this; bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, the end. The dialogue is some of the corniest crap in film history. Batman And Robin was corny and stupid, but at least it was tolerable with Arnold's witty one-liners. The scenes that were supposed to be funny made me gag and the scenes that were supposed to be serious made me burst out laughing at how stupid they were. Seriously, the stupidity never ends; from iron man fighting thor for absolutely no reason, to nick fury shooting a plane carrying an atomic bomb....with a bazooka. The plane is carrying an atomic bomb and your idea to stop it is to shoot it? Seriously?!!!???!? Don't watch this movie it's stupid and if your a huge avengers fan it will be an even bigger disappointment; if you want to watch a good marvel movie watch spider-man 2, that movie deserves an 8.3 rating, not this kid-friendly nonsense.

nothing to spoil

Author: Bas Tvtas from Netherlands
5 October 2012

After reading many very positive reviews about this movie I thought I had to watch it. After watching, most surprising to me was that the movie didn't surprise a single moment! It wasn't interesting at all, fell asleep at least 3 times while watching it. In fact these moments of sleep/ half sleep are the moments I will remember best when thinking back of The Avengers. I like looking at movies a lot and can enjoy very different genres and qualities, but falling asleep while watching is something I usually don't or cannot do. So this movie -especially in its genre- must be a complete failure.

What do I remember after a few days? A bad guy that really wasn't scary, some super heroes that had to fight together to stop that bad guy (and some more I guess), some images of them being on a space ship, and that's it! That's all!

What about the end? I'm sure I was awake at that moment of time but I simply can't remember. It could have only been the heroes winning the battle but how and where? I think they saved the earth and have been trying hard to do so, but at least it happened without any unexpected or original idea. So for this movie, there is even no chance of writing a review that contains spoilers! What could possibly be there to spoil? That one guy turns big, angry and green?

The avengers is just a super flat super cliché super boring super hero movie... can't recommend to watch it.

Unbelievably boring movie

Author: Teodora Ciocoiu from United Kingdom
14 January 2013

I just can't believe this movie has a rating of over 8 stars on IMDb. It consists of every cliché you can imagine and there is absolutely nothing that could recommend it for more than a super-hero movie. I actually fell asleep in the cinema and when I woke up after 2/3rds of the movie I was not surprised to find that I hadn't missed anything, the plot unfolded as expected. I didn't fall asleep because I was tired, but because everything in this movie is so unbelievably boring. The acting is below average and all characters, except Iron Man portrayed by Robert Downey Junior are as dull as you can get. It was a total waste of time and money.

A Disappointing Waste of Talent

Author: Al von Staffenburgen from Canada
22 July 2012

Immediately after watching The Avengers, I was confused. All of my friends seemed to love it, the theater roared its approval as the credits rolled, and most of the reviews I've read are overwhelmingly positive. For these reasons, I'm not entirely sure I watched the same movie as everybody else, but I'm perfectly willing to comment on what I saw.

The film opens with Loki stealing the Tesseract, an all powerful energy device that poses a significant threat to Earth's security. Thankfully, Nick Fury assembles the "Avengers", the group of superheroes who are the focus of the film. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, and Mark Ruffalo all reprise their roles of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and the Incredible Hulk, while Scarlet Johansson and Jeremy Renner portray the Black Widow and Hawkeye. Every single one of these characters (Loki included) is entirely one-dimensional and frankly, boring to watch. With the possible exception of the Hulk, they are straight-forward, flawless superheroes, who have absolutely no trouble dispatching anyone who crosses them. This makes the prolonged action sequences particularly difficult to watch; you never doubt who is going to prevail.

As for the central story of the film, it is a complete mess. It's an action movie in the truest sense of the word; every aspect of the plot is twisted to encourage more fighting sequences, which really prevents the film from moving forward at all. The story doesn't provoke further thought in any way, and really just serves to provide mindless action and downright terrible dialogue. In particular, Downey Jr. relentlessly delivers sarcastic insults every few minutes, which just aren't that funny (in my opinion). Once or twice, I found it amusing, but by the end of the movie I was sick of it. The other characters aren't much better, with the exception of Thor, who had a few funny moments.

Despite everything I have said, there's no criticizing how the film looks. The CGI sequences are stunning, and the various locations in the film are visually pleasing. It doesn't break any new ground, but it's still entertaining.

Overall, this is not a good movie. The characters are flat, static, uninteresting people portrayed by uninspired actors. The story is atrocious and riddled with holes. The action sequences are painfully long and predictable. And perhaps worst of all, when it was trying so hard to be funny, it simply wasn't.

Looking at all the names that contributed to this movie, I am frankly shocked at the finished product. Joss Whedon is a brilliant director and writer (I loved Firefly), and most of the actors (particularly Downey Jr., Renner, and Ruffalo) are usually enjoyable. So I'm not quite sure where everything went wrong, but hopefully they can produce a more thoughtful sequel with their next efforts.

RATING: 4/10

MARVELous

Author: rossiepearson from United Kingdom
5 December 2012

"The tesseract has awakened." spoken in the opening scene, picks right up where 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and 'Thor' left off. S.H.E.I.L.D director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is forced to call upon earths mightiest hero's to stop the self outcast Asgardian Loki.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk, along with Black Widow and Hawkeye, are the only hope to save the world from an invasion, and boy do they in an instant superhero classic. Possibly the best thing about The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble in the UK) is that each hero has grounded powers the exception being Thor (unless you count Hulk's strength as a super power), which makes the Marvel hero's more believable than their DC. counterparts.

There's drama, action, comedy, and some amazing CGI, and thankfully doesn't fall into the same category as the not so fantastic Fantastic 4 movies. Mark Ruffalo, replacing the underwhelming Ed Norton, excels as Bruce Banner/Hulk, which is without a doubt the best on screen version of the iconic hero after the awful 2003 'Hulk' movie and 2008's slightly improved 'The Incredible Hulk', as well as Ruffalo and co star Robert Downey Jr. Playing Tony Stark/Iron Man for the 4th time, having some fantastic chemistry in a scene on-board the Hellcarrier.

Chris Evans plays Captain America perfectly as the man out of time, Chris Hemsworth is believable in his role as Loki's Brother (like in Thor) Scarlett Johansson is the surprise of the movie though with a lot of the action revolving around her Black Widow, the only major disappointment with The Avengers is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is underused. That being said every hero gets decent screen time to justify their appearance as well as everyone having a big part to play in the fantastic final sequence.

However, The Avengers towers over every superhero movie in recent memory with the only real challengers being X-Men and The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joss Whedons hit is sure to please Marvel fans and the everyday movie goer. Next up for Marvel studios, Iron Man 3, cant wait.

Best quote in the movie: Loki:"How desperate are you that you call upon such such lost creatures to defend you?"

If you enjoyed watching: X-Men, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, you'll enjoy watching The Avengers (Avengers Assemble).