IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 172: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The Avengers - one of the best superhero film so far!

Author: brandon_lee420 from 21 Stalker St, Pedo Way
24 April 2012

Believe me when I say that 'The Avengers' was my most anticipated movie ever. I mean, come on, a bunch of superheroes gathering and fighting evil, that is just priceless. And not any superheroes but the most well-known and well-loved. The movie has some of the best actors in Hollywood portraying some of the best superheroes to have ever been created. This movie has loads of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, and, needless to say, Hulk Smash! They were all portrayed on screen brilliantly and I give thanks to the actor for making them feel awesome, cool, and really, really fun. I live in Australia and we get an earlier viewing of the film but for you Americans, this wait is is worth it. When the movie was over, most of the cinema clapped - this was the first time I had ever seen this ever at the movies. Even though it was 12 in the morning, the whole cinema was packed and all of them came out of the cinema satisfied and were glad they paid the $13 to watch it.

The plot of the movie is straightforward but done magnificently. Loki, previously seen in Thor, wants to wreak havoc on Earth by letting a group of aliens enter Earth through a portal. It's up to the Avengers to stop him but first they have to solve the rivalries and bitterness between them. The fight scenes between the superheroes are just f*cking AWESOME! I was so excited to see Thor and Iron Man battle it out - that scene was just plain epic.

The music and soundtrack in the movie was good and it did a nice job of alleviating the action, and trust me there is a LOT of action. The visual effects are also fantastic, one of the best I have ever seen in a film, and they will leave you in awe. Hulk, along with Iron Man, do a good job of adding humour into the film and ALL of the scenes with the Hulk left everyone at the cinemas laughing. It is pretty obvious that his squad mates think highly of him as seen in the scene where Stark and Loki have a confrontation ('We have an Army' , 'We have a Hulk'). That scene was what did it for me.

If you guys are in doubt as to see this then let me assure you that you are gonna get the bang for your buck that you deserve. So far, it is one of the best superhero film made but of all time? Not really sure, guess we have to wait for TDKR to come out. 10/10 - Perfect!

'Over and Out.' 25 April 2012

Great, GREAT FILM!!

Author: JoeDiBease from United States
12 April 2012

Ever since the beginning of the film, I was so amazed and happy That I was at the premier of the movie. Very good acting from all the main characters and good acting from the rest. Great Directing and writing from Joss Whedon too. The cinematography was stunning throughout the whole film.This is a fun action packed film for the whole family to enjoy just like the rest of the Marvel movies but better. The special effects by far are the best for any Marvel movie. The Hulk Looks so much more real. By the way The Hulk made the movie even better. Also, DO NOT SEE THE AVENGERS IN 3D! See the film because you will not be disappointed even if you are not that interested into superhero movies. It has a lot of humor and love, so again SEE IT!

A lovable classic marvel action film!

Author: adammfeeley from United Kingdom
11 April 2015

The avengers is a classic marvel movie full of action, stunning special effects and the odd bit of funny humour. I think Age of Ultron will be better but this is still a fun and enjoyable film. I love how it appeals to everyone not just comic book fans. I can't find any flaws in this movie , it kinda has everything you need in a good movie:action, comedy, cool quotes and stunning special effects. I also love how marvel did movies before this one so the characters could be developed. The casting choices were also great. Everyone fits perfectly as the character they were chosen to play. Robert Downey Jr is great as Iron Man and Scarlett Johannson is amazing as Black Widow. My favourite is Samuel L Jackson as the tough but amazing Nick Fury. All in all WATCH THIS FILM.

"You and I remember Budapest very differently" (dialog)

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
27 January 2015

As a reviewer, I don't mess up often but, just like the line where Stark is ribbing Loki, sometimes even an IMDb top reviewer can have performance issues.

My first view, I was annoyed that so much time was spent on backstory and it took an hour to get the ball rolling. Although in fairness once this story starts to move in the second hour, it MOVES.

By my third viewing I could see the issue. I grew up with these characters and I had expectations. The expectations were incorrect, I now know, because those expectations were the reason the Marvel library was such a mess before the arrival of the Whedon Bros.

So what Joss did was analyzed what was not working in past Marvel films then de-constructed the Avengers story, then build a film which could act as a base for future sequels, wit ha solid foundation.

And wrote a script to die for. By the third time around I was actually listening to the film instead of just watching, and boy can that guy write.

Like the line I posted as the title of this review. It took me 3 viewings to catch it. It is sly, it is sexual, and it is totally easy to overlook in all the action. But I was on the floor laughing.

So there you go, it is fun, action packed (last hour), written at an Oscar level, the characters are perfectly cast (except the Nick Fury I grew up with was Caucasion, but I guess no one remembers) and, to keep the suits happy, not only made a bundle on its own but launched a new franchise.

So thats a 10

a very good superhero movie

Author: hr-boege-546-170392 from Denmark
19 December 2012

first of all, i didn't watch that many superhero movies, so i sadly don't know much about the different characters and their universes. but i like the idea of bringing them all together in a single movie, and for me it works. the whole concept is a great idea, and the story is really good and exciting. i also love the effects, and the different characters that are thrown together. i also love that it portrays superheroes with different strengths, but also their weaknesses. they aren't portrayed as superhuman, as you could expect, they all have many things to learn, and their flaws. so what more can i say, (as a guy that don't know anything about marvels universes), else than it is really recommendable, and it deserves top score.

This film is a MASTERPIECE!

Author: James-p-r from United Kingdom
19 May 2012

UK title "Avengers Assemble"/ Rest-Of-World "The Avengers". Just like "Transformers: Dark of the Moon", this film was eagerly anticipated by fans, such as myself. I could not wait for the film to be released on 26th April. Unlike "TF3" however, this film live up to the hype. It surpassed my expectations (and I expected a lot). It didn't feel forced and certainly did not feel like a sequel to one particular lead-up film. It felt like a well-made sequel to ALL the films.

The final battle wasn't just an all-out brawl - it seemed integral to the story and characterisation of the film.

Every character had their "time to shine" and they were as you remember them from their "build-up" films - Tony Stark was cocky, witty and likable, Steve Rodgers was patriotic, a "man-out-of-time" and focused on the mission and Thor was a demi-god warrior.

Then there's the Hulk, played by Mark Ruffalo instead of Ed Norton this time around. This Hulk/Banner was perfect. Ruffalo brought a sense of humour to this famously angry character and really helped pull-off the Hulk where others have either tried and failed (Hulk 2003) or tried and only just failed (The Incredible Hulk 2008).

We also got a brief look at Black Widow (Scarlett Johanson)'s background and her relationship with Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner). Even next to their super-powered team-mates, these two proved their worth to be part of the team.

Tom Hiddleston as Loki was brilliant, Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury was what you'd expect from this actor, Clark Gregg was once again great as Phil Coulson and Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill was a good decision and while her performance was good I feel she was underused.

This film has and amazing soundtrack, brilliant actors, likable characters (even Loki), great 3D effects, an enjoyable story and epic action. Congratulations and thank you to Director Joss Whedon and the rest of the crew for putting together a masterpiece.

Great Film

Author: alexrosling from United Kingdom
8 December 2012

The Avengers is one of the best films that I have ever seen. A great combination of all the best super heroes and Marvel have done a great job. Before I went to see it, I honestly thought it would be rubbish because quite a lot of Films that try to combine other characters or clever sequels never usually do well, but I think that The Avengers is an exception. It also has a great cast of well known actors such as Robert Downey Jr, Jeremy Renner and Sammuel L Jackson. My only concern is that the end battle against the Aliens went on a bit too long and they could have shortened it by quite a bit. The Special Effects are some of the best I've ever seen. Overall, I think that it is a great film that I highly recommend.

Fanfare for the Merry Marvel Marching Society!

Author: higherall7 from Detroit, Michigan
27 June 2012

Being at one time a young ten year old kid who cut his teeth on 'COWBOY SAM' books and 'JOHN HENRY AND THE DOUBLE-JOINTED STEAM DRILL' as well 'UNCLE ARTHUR'S BEDTIME STORIES', the adventures of the MARVEL UNIVERSE were a welcome introduction into what the older kids were reading and doing. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby somehow as though by divine guidance properly gauged the angst of those teenage years in the Sixties and the zeitgeist of that era. Before the Avengers battled the Space Phantom, I cannot remember when I ever encountered a Superhero like the Hulk. Basically he was a bully in diapers who did not play well with others. After the Avengers at last sent the Space Phantom back into limbo where he belonged, the Hulk related that his feelings were hurt by the remarks others made about him during the heat of battle. He gave the Avengers his walking papers and jumped off into parts unknown.

This never would have happened in the JUSTICE LEAGUE.

During the showing I attended, after the credits were done, there is a scene where the Avengers are sitting together in a restaurant eating. The expressions on their faces indicate that they would all rather be somewhere else. When I first saw it, it appeared a little non-sequitur and just something added-on to pique interest. But then I went to my Volume 1 of the ESSENTIAL AVENGERS which covers the first twenty four issues of their saga. I decided to use it as a reference for my remarks in this review. When I got to page two of Issue Two, there it was right at the bottom! Essentially the same scene that tagged the end of the Avengers movie. Oh, the setting was different as well as a couple of the characters present or absent, but the theme of the scene was identical to the movie. A bunch of misfits decide to get together and meet regularly in order to increase and better facilitate group cohesion and they can barely stand being in each other's presence! It's the American Experience reductio ad absurdum. It is also the Human Experience should you wish to wax philosophical about it.

Reminds me of something I once heard Jesse Jackson declare during a speech and I believe he was quoting Martin Luther King; "We have to learn to live together no matter how painful, or we'll die apart as fools."

Suffice it to say that for the Avengers working together and living together is particularly painful at times.

No, Robert Downey Jr. would not have ordinarily come to mind as Tony Stark AKA IRON MAN, with his yuppie insouciance, but this is a new generation with its own issues and tastes, so there's no use asking "-where have you gone Errol Flynn and Ronald Coleman?". They're probably having lunch with Joe DiMaggio. Downey, in his own way, does more than represent with IRON MAN.

Knowing this genre intimately and well, this time I may be too close to it to effectively evaluate it. There are all kinds of things in this movie that do not fit, but that's the glory of the Marvel Universe. It is a depot for all the things that do not fit that are somehow made to achieve this transcendent irreverent harmony, rhythm and balance. As Edward G. Robinson once said in THE CINCINNATI KID, "-sort of like Life-".

Samuel L. Jackson has no real business being in the AVENGERS doing his usual scenery chewing, channeling bits of 'SHAFT' and 'HAWK' and the Black Man's angst about wanting in on the American Dream. For one thing, the original Nick Fury was a white World War Two hero who headed a squad called Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos. He would probably be in his nineties by now, but only a time chosen few would know that. Besides, that's the beauty of this fantasy scenario. Nobody really questions what or who these super-powered characters are supposed to be avenging. Actually they're more like the FINAL GUARDIANS than AVENGERS. Anyway, you really would be missing the point pursuing this line of questioning. Here are all these odds and ends of personality and death-defying events and cultural themes somehow welded and soldered together in a kind of collage of imagination and experience and juvenile science fiction and it all works because in the end this ain't your universe. It's the MARVEL UNIVERSE and you're just living and thrilling in it. When you look at it that way, Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury gets down and gets back, and redefines the American Dream as something more than that house with the little white picket fence and perhaps simply the divine right to be whatever you want to be.

Joss Whedon and Zak Penn finally wised up and decided to stand on the shoulders of giants Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, instead of jumping off to do their own thing with the Marvel Universe. They have written a tale to celebrate. Joss Whedon's direction is Marvelouseque rather than a penetrating interpretation that sometimes hits and sometimes misses as in the case with Sam Rami's SPIDERMAN movies.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, Tom Huddleston as Loki, Scarlet Johansson as the Black Widow, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye and Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, all have sufficient back stories now either through prior movies or the comics for the audience to be thoroughly prepared for what they might do. They are all so very nearly the characters themselves that all that's left is to be swept up in the action that is truly our satisfaction. And yet, the thing that makes the greatest impact in the end is the characters themselves.

Welcome to the Marvel Age of Comics in Cinema!

Feel Like A Kid Again - Go See The Avengers!

Author: moviedemon from USA
6 May 2012

I know there's comic book fans that have their favorites. There's also the film fans that have their own favorites. There are also some who are so enamored and in love with The Dark Knight that they will pounce on any film that is considered "better". For me, I've never been a big comic book guy but I do enjoy a good film adaptation of them. I can love The Dark Knight AND Iron Man. I don't have a bias. I enjoy several of these type of films regardless of the company, brand, or filmmaker.

For me, I absolutely love The Avengers. It brought out the little kid in me. At 33, cynical and disgruntled, that's a major compliment. I understand that the film is by no means perfect but it was just so much damn fun. It made me want to buy a costume and play make believe in the backyard again. But again, I'm 33, so I mean that figuratively. I just really had a blast with this and this is the best theater experience I've had since seeing a Star Wars movie. I loved it and can't wait to see it again.

So, for those who have hang-ups about how you don't want to hear its better or more popular than this or that, don't get caught up in that nonsense. Who cares where people rank The Avengers or Iron Man or The Dark Knight or what have you? It doesn't matter. So, just do yourselves the favor of seeing this movie. It is just a boatload of fun.

THE Best Movie of The Decade

Author: Daniel Benham from United Kingdom
12 July 2012

"Did anybody see Inception? I think that was just about the most ambitious movie I've ever seen. And then I thought wait a god damn second… Marvel… Studios is going to take all their top superheroes, and they're going to put them all together in The Avengers. That's the most ambitious movie I've ever seen!" – Robert Downey Jr. (Comic Con 2010)

It may have been the most ambitious movie ever… but boy did they pull it off! There was always a small doubt that The Avengers (2012) may have been a flop for a couple of reasons. The first is the fact that the Captain America (2011) and Iron Man 2 (2010) were slightly lower than the standard of movies Marvel studios had shot out since 2008 when The Incredible Hulk (2008) hit the big screens. Obviously this lower standard must have been due to The Avengers being in production because the film topped my list of favourite films and became number 1, yes, it took over The Dark Knight (2008)!

To read the full review go here: http://www.teknue.com/reviews/review- the-avengersavengers-assemble-2012/852