IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 161: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Overrated!

Author: elysian-lycoris from Toronto
5 October 2012

This movie is totally overrated! The movie was just so hyped due to the fact that it contained "everyones favourite super hero".

There was no plot, no character development, and not particularly special effects that made it memorable.

The overall story seemed kind of lame and ridiculous. Why was the main antagonist Loki? And how did it made sense that it took so many super heroes to defeat someone who was "technically" one of their own? The comedic portions contained a few smiles but it wasn't laughing material.

In short, the movie hadn't met my expectations.

Lacks personality

Author: adamsjost from Ann Arbor, Michigan
6 November 2013

While I found the action and story decently pleasing overall, I think the movie spread itself incredibly thin in terms of characterization and as such suffers from a distinct lack of personality. I understand that Marvel thought they could forego character development because each character had their own movie (with the exception of the Hulk, as this version is a reboot), I think that there needs to be a lot more going on in order for the characters to be likable. All of the dialogue is either puns, one-liners, or witticisms, as if the movie is one big joke and the actors are constantly winking at the audience. The action and story are pleasing and well thought out, but the characters are completely lacking.

Take Nodoz

Author: learn204
11 June 2013

Take a dozen writers and a dozen directors. Keep each in the dark. Refuse to allow any of them to talk to one another. Then have an intern collate all the scripts and hand a part of the script to each director. After each director has shot his or her portion, hand those portions to other interns and have them splice it together to make a film and try to convince the public that it is a unified film.

It has too many story lines with far too much going on. I was almost cheering for the villains to win as I cared nothing for any of the heroes, and yes, I understand the concept of the flawed Marvel hero. It dragged more than Ru Paul and had more holes than Swiss Cheese. I could almost predict the dialog and the plot turning points. Dull, dull, dull. I'm a fan of all of the characters, and this film destroyed any greatness that they had.

It all comes down to a script. It's like building a skyscraper on quicksand.

Some of the special effects were cool, but that's not worth the price of admission.

Not a a true 1 but NOT A 8.3!!!!

Author: d-dezi from United States, CT
9 March 2013

The Avengers is a fun movie, it looks great visually and has a classic comic book plot. The issue is there is nothing original or inspiring about it! It lacks drama and the ability to get you lost in the plot; it is terribly predictable and never once has the viewer worried or wondering what will happen next. Yes it's a fun and awesome comic book movie, but I would say it's much more of a novelty than a great work of art. The Dark Knight series were all base off comic books yet had an edge added to them to make the viewer connect to the characters and actually worry because they need knew what would happen next, like most great movies. The Avengers fails to do this throughout the film. There is nothing innovative about the plot there is no true tension in the film. I would normally rate this film as a 5/6 out of 10 but I can't since there are so many high ratings. Simply said The Avengers is a fun simple movie with great visual effects that can bring you back to childhood, it is not a horrible film but it is not a work of cinematic art by any means and I do not feel like it deserves a rating as high as some of the most classics and original films we have to offer rate.

Marvel at the stupidity of the masses

Author: darragh608 from Ireland
30 May 2013

This is a joke of a movie that's far from funny. I can't believe this movie gets 8.3 currently on IMDb? So this is on par with all those classic movies that score an 8.3? Those movies that people will enjoy for decades to come? I'm stunned how well this has been received. Anyone over the age of 7 that has given this film a good review should be ashamed. The absolute saturation of CGI is disgusting, and seems to be enough to forgive the many flaws of this movie. The action is as poor as the humor, which is brutal. I'm not against the Marvel characters, I grew up with them. I know you can't go into certain movies with a critical eye, all I expected from my trip to the cinema was to be entertained. Instead I was saddened, shocked and bored to the point of irritation. I seen the amazing Spider-Man recently, THAT was entertaining. The reason was because there was some thought and effort but into all aspects of the movie, as it should be, to the character and story. It had everything that the avengers lacked.

Unbelievably boring movie

Author: Teodora Ciocoiu from United Kingdom
14 January 2013

I just can't believe this movie has a rating of over 8 stars on IMDb. It consists of every cliché you can imagine and there is absolutely nothing that could recommend it for more than a super-hero movie. I actually fell asleep in the cinema and when I woke up after 2/3rds of the movie I was not surprised to find that I hadn't missed anything, the plot unfolded as expected. I didn't fall asleep because I was tired, but because everything in this movie is so unbelievably boring. The acting is below average and all characters, except Iron Man portrayed by Robert Downey Junior are as dull as you can get. It was a total waste of time and money.

I knew it couldn't live up to the rating

Author: Tony Pape from United Kingdom
2 June 2013

I missed this movie when it came out at the cinema because, from what I could see from the trailers and elsewhere, it looked a bit 'silly' for want of a better word, kid's stuff perhaps. We've come to expect much more from comic book interpretations. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Iron Man series, Spiderman and Batman reboots. Where I draw the line I think, is with characters such as Thor and Captain America and to a lesser extent the Hulk - characters who haven't dated too well at all and should have been left in their respective times. They just look so out of place sitting along side the more believable and 'cooler' looking characters like Iron man in present day settings. But anyhow, having seen the high ratings the movie was getting (including on here) I thought 'maybe it cant be so bad after all?' and gave it a look. Sadly my initial instinct was right - this film is well made, has great CGI and acting, but.. its entirely spoilt by the inclusion of silly outdated characters with dubious special powers and a guy who turns into a CGI cartoon green man/monster. I realise that it wouldn't be as much of an assemble without these characters and to substitute spiderman or other superheroes might well upset some purists, but might have made for a better film. Thor in particular is from a bygone era of comic books and should have been left there.

Terrible, awful and just plain boring

Author: onewayforanother from Denmark
28 August 2012

This is my first review ever on IMDb, and why do I choose a movie that I don't like? I find it absolutely disgusting that this movie has a 8.6 rating. I can' believe how people actually like this stuff, maybe they slept all the way through it, I can't say. This movie brings absolutely nothing new or interesting to the big screen. It's totally predictable and not funny, it contains so many lame jokes that it makes you feel a bit nauseated at some points. The action is stupid and seen before in older and better movies. The plot is... Wait a second, what plot? The only positive thing in this movie is Robert Downey Jr, but he alone cannot make up for all the flaws that exist in this movie. Certain points in the movie feel very long, and I assume this is because of the actors lack of talent, they are dull and have no feelings. And I laughed every time captain America was show on the screen, his mask looks absolutely hilarious. And I laughed even harder when some of the evil space dudes pulled of his mask, because I'd bet that even the film crew found him looking ridiculous in that outfit.

I guess The Avengers is a good movie if you find trouble sleeping one night, just put it on, and you'll be sleeping in no time

Tour de farce

Author: kristof wuyts from Belgium
13 September 2012

I heard people call The avengers a tour de force, a perfect box-office bonanza, the wickedest ride of their lives and best movie ever! I can only assume that every single one of them is a comic book freak and are all obsessed by every Marvel hero and villain. I can tell you I'm a movie buff but I'm not a comic book freak. In my opinion that shouldn't matter because dark knight for instance, is one of my favorite movies of all time. I know it's not from Marvel but DC comics but I also liked the first iron man movie (he turned into a narcissistic bastard after the first and I didn't like that character development) So I'm not gonna write a movie of just because I'm not a huge Marvel fan.

But after 2 1/2 hours of sitting through the deluge of explosions, "witty" banter, and generic story-telling. I was happy the movie ended, all around me there were people applauding and telling each other what an awesome movie they just saw. My plan was just to go home and put on a real movie. With plot twists and character development, both things I missed in the avengers. You could say it's fast paced but if the story doesn't grab you by the balls, it's all irrelevant. The only thing the movie had going for itself was that it was hilarious, to bad it didn't mean to be.

I knew after five minutes that the movie wasn't going to live up to the hype. And it was only downhill from there to be honest. The last sequence was the worst in my book. The alien invasion was so stupid, we were all wondering what was going to come through the black hole. And what came to wipe out all of humanity? A few hundred Chitauri, wow... is that an invasion? Six avengers got their stuff together and mobbed the floor with them. That was a huge anti-climax!

I think this movie is very overrated and only worth a view if you're tired and want some brainless 'entertainment', other than that it really is only for the comic book geeks. And maybe teenagers who've been brainwashed with years of Asian (fighting) cartoons. Oh yeah, the movie I watched when I got home was snatch!

The decline of smart scripts begins here

Author: frank_mli from United States
13 July 2012

This movie is for people who can't grow up, there are no smart moves, only pure special effects with no meaning behind, a complete joke. This explains why there are so many 40 yo men living like children out there. Like a man in a much better film said:

"God **** it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives."

Think about it, do you really want to have fun with this nonsense entertainment, without thinking even for a second?.