IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 166: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Childhood avenged

Author: pedro_b_g_fontes from Portugal
25 April 2012

I'm not going to spoil anything or get very technical here. I don't usually write reviews. I did so because this movie took me back to my childhood like no other movie did.

Sure, it's not intellectually pretentious or groundbreaking from a cinematic or storytelling point of view, but it delivers perfectly.

The wit, conflict, adventure, heart and sense of wonder that I once found in my crazy uncle's attic, slumbering inside those weird looking and dusty Marvel Magazines - populated with super-soldiers, handsome flying scientists, Norse gods, green monsters and incredibly hot chicks in black leather - are here.

As I grew up, I somehow repressed the idea that there was no such thing as fictional happiness. These characters will never exist, and it sure takes suspension of disbelief to watch them run about. But this movie reminded me of what they made me feel before girls, party nights, college,taxes and other complicated, serious things came along. As the movie ended, I felt overwhelmed by the readjustment to reality as I knew it in my young adult life.

I watched this with my 10 year old nephew. I don't know if that makes me the crazy uncle, but it sure was great to be back in that attic, even for a while. I always knew Hulk smashed. Now I know he always will.

Lacks personality

Author: adamsjost from Ann Arbor, Michigan
6 November 2013

While I found the action and story decently pleasing overall, I think the movie spread itself incredibly thin in terms of characterization and as such suffers from a distinct lack of personality. I understand that Marvel thought they could forego character development because each character had their own movie (with the exception of the Hulk, as this version is a reboot), I think that there needs to be a lot more going on in order for the characters to be likable. All of the dialogue is either puns, one-liners, or witticisms, as if the movie is one big joke and the actors are constantly winking at the audience. The action and story are pleasing and well thought out, but the characters are completely lacking.

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: horseygurlz from United Kingdom
24 December 2012

The danger with every superhero movie is that it will end up either horrifically unrealistic or unappealing to anyone over the age of ten. I am pleased to say that 'The Avengers' does not fall into either of these pitholes - in fact, it has to be awarded the title of one of the best films of 2012.

The actors were all amazingly casted in their respective roles and do an amazing job of creating intriguing and lovable characters. Many of them were reprising roles they had taken on in previous films - Captain America, Thor or Iron Man, for example - so we already had a good idea of how they would perform, but I feel they all exceeded expectations. Robert Downey Jr was incredible as the humorous yet conflicted Tony Stark/ Iron Man, and Chris Evans was brilliant as the confused, out-of-time Steve Rogers/ Captain America. Mark Ruffalo, the newbie of the cast, stepped into the role of Bruce Banner/ Hulk with great skill and dispersed all doubts as to his suitability. On the other side, Tom Hiddleston really has to be congratulated for his convincing and somehow relatable performance as the villain Loki, whose wit and tricks appealed to fans everywhere.

The special effects in this movie were undoubtedly excellent, and despite their need to be ostentatious never seemed unnecessarily unrealistic. The director Joss Whedon did a fabulous job and has created a cinematic classic that will be praised for years to come.

I knew it couldn't live up to the rating

Author: Tony Pape from United Kingdom
2 June 2013

I missed this movie when it came out at the cinema because, from what I could see from the trailers and elsewhere, it looked a bit 'silly' for want of a better word, kid's stuff perhaps. We've come to expect much more from comic book interpretations. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Iron Man series, Spiderman and Batman reboots. Where I draw the line I think, is with characters such as Thor and Captain America and to a lesser extent the Hulk - characters who haven't dated too well at all and should have been left in their respective times. They just look so out of place sitting along side the more believable and 'cooler' looking characters like Iron man in present day settings. But anyhow, having seen the high ratings the movie was getting (including on here) I thought 'maybe it cant be so bad after all?' and gave it a look. Sadly my initial instinct was right - this film is well made, has great CGI and acting, but.. its entirely spoilt by the inclusion of silly outdated characters with dubious special powers and a guy who turns into a CGI cartoon green man/monster. I realise that it wouldn't be as much of an assemble without these characters and to substitute spiderman or other superheroes might well upset some purists, but might have made for a better film. Thor in particular is from a bygone era of comic books and should have been left there.

MARVELous

Author: rossiepearson from United Kingdom
5 December 2012

"The tesseract has awakened." spoken in the opening scene, picks right up where 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and 'Thor' left off. S.H.E.I.L.D director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is forced to call upon earths mightiest hero's to stop the self outcast Asgardian Loki.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk, along with Black Widow and Hawkeye, are the only hope to save the world from an invasion, and boy do they in an instant superhero classic. Possibly the best thing about The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble in the UK) is that each hero has grounded powers the exception being Thor (unless you count Hulk's strength as a super power), which makes the Marvel hero's more believable than their DC. counterparts.

There's drama, action, comedy, and some amazing CGI, and thankfully doesn't fall into the same category as the not so fantastic Fantastic 4 movies. Mark Ruffalo, replacing the underwhelming Ed Norton, excels as Bruce Banner/Hulk, which is without a doubt the best on screen version of the iconic hero after the awful 2003 'Hulk' movie and 2008's slightly improved 'The Incredible Hulk', as well as Ruffalo and co star Robert Downey Jr. Playing Tony Stark/Iron Man for the 4th time, having some fantastic chemistry in a scene on-board the Hellcarrier.

Chris Evans plays Captain America perfectly as the man out of time, Chris Hemsworth is believable in his role as Loki's Brother (like in Thor) Scarlett Johansson is the surprise of the movie though with a lot of the action revolving around her Black Widow, the only major disappointment with The Avengers is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is underused. That being said every hero gets decent screen time to justify their appearance as well as everyone having a big part to play in the fantastic final sequence.

However, The Avengers towers over every superhero movie in recent memory with the only real challengers being X-Men and The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joss Whedons hit is sure to please Marvel fans and the everyday movie goer. Next up for Marvel studios, Iron Man 3, cant wait.

Best quote in the movie: Loki:"How desperate are you that you call upon such such lost creatures to defend you?"

If you enjoyed watching: X-Men, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, you'll enjoy watching The Avengers (Avengers Assemble).

Superhero Pollution in Hollywood

Author: merdiolu from Istanbul, Turkey
22 July 2012

Actor John Cusack once said that there are no more big production studios anymore. There are just a bunch of banks which provide funding/credits for projects and approve which script would be produced according to box office profit it is projected to generate. ( because Hollywood mentality became like : more money , bigger stars , bigger budget , bigger marketing , bigger blockbuster , bigger box office income that's all it matters ) Since comicbook / superhero genre is the newest and biggest market to be milked in popular culture for Hollywood in these harsh economy ; is it surprising that The Avengers , a childish intake about a bunch of ridiculously costumed "Superheroes" with one dimensional immature behavior getting together to repel an alien invasion ( AGAIN ! I think any actual alien seeing these alien invasion movies would not even close Earth ever again. Our "always winning despite odds" thing would be silly to them ) ? Unfortunetely not. This is another shallow seasonal product , another "leave your brain at theater door" movie aimed for Comic Con Convention fans. And I admit it is a BIG market.

Just like most movies in this genre ( there are a few exceptions ) it has its own cliché's and tropes like they are coming out of a factory assembly line. At least director Joss Whedon ( a great TV writer/producer. I was a follower of Firefly and Dollhouse ) does not deny them and recognizing what they are , wears them at movie's sleeve. Bickering superheroes ( that's fine amusing with Whedonesque humor but humor got overwhelming and made "superheroes" childlike not multi dimensional characters ) , threat from outer space from a sneering arrogant enemy with another comic book costume ( at least Tom Hiddleston performed as well as he could with material he was given , but what the hell was Loki's motivation in conquering Earth ? ) , his boss with a digital voice , super secret ( American as usual ) military spy agency ( I can never understand American film industry's fetish of military - for a nation devoid of conscription ) , national stereotypes ( Russians are evil you know ) , hot ass kicking super agent babes ( Scarlett , Scarlett are you so desperate ? ) , Aryan looking superheroes from WW2 era ( Thor , Captain America , blond blue eyed , with whom we were fighting with anyway in that time ? Did you realize that there were no other ethnicity among these heroes like Oriental or Latin ) , Tony Stark rich jerk , Hulk a Doctor Bruce Banner marked with tragedy ( Mark Ruffolo is the only actor with proper character material and performs admirably in this ) , Hawkeye with baby faced Jeremy Renner ( I never warmed to that guy as an actor ) , and Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury big boss of agency with an eye patch ( no fake protez in nowadays ? ) because it looks cool , a final battle with lots of laser rays and CGI explosions without casualties in another American urban area ( this year it is New York City's trashing time ) , good vs evil , government made the mistake of launching a nuclear missile , it is averted , heroes are victorious blah blah it is the end....

After all this sequence of predictable events where no protagonist was harmed and good guys win , what do we have ? An empty blockbuster which will make a big Box Office hit , probably a franchise but at the end an empty film. I can not wait in 20-30 years our grandchildren asking "Is this the stuff your generation was watching ? No wonder everything really mattered like environment , economy , politics or simple psyche of human or society condition all of them gone hell. Your visual arts stopped reflecting them !"

Time To Jump On The Band Wagon

Author: Mahan18 from Australia
12 May 2012

Yeah, much like everyone else, I friggin' LOVED this movie. This is the purest comic book movie I have ever seen, and for that reason alone it works. Everything, from the writing to the action to the humour to the chemistry between characters to even the pacing feels like it was pulled straight from the pages of the lavishly ludicrous, and having one of the gods of cult sci-fi/fantasy, not to mention a comic book writer, at the helm of this movie was probably the only way this movie could have possibly met with everyone's expectations.

4-5 years of build-up to this movie, and it more than just pays off; it wins the jackpot. I am yet to find a person who didn't like this movie, and I can fully understand why. I honestly TRIED to find something about it to even nitpick at, and found nothing. This is the ultimate comic book movie; I highly recommend this to any lover of action, superhero or sci-fi movies, as well as to any avid comic book readers. For all those who don't fit into these categories, this movie may just convert you.

Finest superhero movie ever

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
21 May 2012

The Avengers – CATCH IT ( A+ ) The anticipation for the avenger's movie is undeniable. We have been waiting for this from years. To understand the Avenger's movie it's really important that you've seen all previous Ironman, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America's movies. As the avenger's give time to build characterizations for their heroes so getting into the avengers empty headed about hero's history will be foolish. The Avenger's brings back our beloved Marvel's heroes Tony Stark (Iron Man), Thor, Dr. Bruce Banner (Hulk), Steve Rogers (Captain America), Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow), Clint Barton (Hawkeye), Agent Maria Hill, Agent Phil Coulson and Director Nick Fury. Each hero's journey starts from where it ended in their respective movies. Now, The Avenger's stands strong in every department, from direction, production and performances. It won't be wrong to say that it brings out the best out of all the heroes. The humor, action and graphics are far brilliant than all the previous Marvel movies combined. The credit goes to generous brain of Joss Whedon. He brings out something very special out of each superhero. The interaction between all superheroes is something we don't see often, they tease, make fun and even fight with each other. Robert Downey Jr. (Ironman) is great as always. He brings his charming personality and wicked humor into his character which made him the superstar of today. Chris Hemsworth (Thor) is truly a god of thunder. His entry is as Big as Thor's entry should be, it makes you jump of your seat and cheer for him. Chris Evens (Captain America) is indeed the ultimate American Hero, he got the charm and personality of a true America hero. Some of the most standout moments in the movie belong to Mark Ruffalo (The Incredible Hulk). For the first time we see some humor in the actions of Hulk, he is just not a fury green monster this time around. besides Hulk, the biggest surprise is Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), we have seen the part of her in Ironman movie but this time around we completely understand the strength and wickedness of Black Widow. She is absolutely stunning and fantastic. Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) is good and I hope to see him someday with Black Widow. They had this amazing chemistry which requires further attention. Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders and Samuel L. Jackson the S.H.E.I.L.D are fun to watch. Tom Hiddleston (Loki) is superb, he was the ultimate villain and considering his brilliant performance in Thor, he has out done himself again. Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) appearance is appreciated and I would have loved to see Natalie Portman (Jane Foster) in it too. On the whole, The Avengers is the finest brilliant superhero movie of all time, it's filled with great performance, humor, action, graphics and brilliant direction. Highly recommended in 3D.

My Huge Expectations Weren't Huge Enough

Author: Mr-Smithy from United Kingdom
21 April 2012

I had the huge privilege of winning tickets to a preview screening for this movie one week before release in the UK.

I had enormous expectations for this movie ever since the post credit scene of Iron Man in 2008. And all I can say is my expectations weren't nearly high enough.

Every second that passes by in this movie keeps you gripped to the edge of your seat, the brilliant chemistry of the cast does the excellent writing and directing of Joss Whedon justice, the spectacular special effects, and plot turns throughout really make this a cinematic epic, and without any shadow of doubt the greatest super hero blockbuster of all time, while the 3D was not 100% necessary it certainly gave this movie an extra punch, as although it was done in post production you could clearly tell that this was intended to be a 3D movie.

In my opinion the person that stole the show was Tom Hiddleston and his excellent portrayal of Loki, Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo were also excellent.

This movie also packs a huge comedic blow, being a lot funnier than most comedies i have seen at the cinema.

Every person who had any part in making this movie needs to be tremendously proud of themselves.

This is a truly thrilling experience and the only way for me to finish this review is by saying, bring on Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and The Avengers 2!

A Marvel-ous experience

Author: Mythili Chari from India
24 April 2012

The wait for this movie has been excruciatingly long, ever since we saw the preview that was attached to Captain America. Here's what I thought of the movie when I caught the premiere.

You get the best of Joss Whedon and that is quite a lot:

1. Black Widow is no longer just a piece of eye-candy. Did you seriously expect the creator of Buffy to just let his female characters stand around looking pretty? She kicks ass and how! (Yes, and it's about time!)

2. For all the newbies out there that haven't watched some or all of the previous movies, the rest of the characters are thoroughly fleshed out. You get a long explanation about what they have been up to since their story last ended. So, it's possible that the first half may be a tad slow for the die-hard fans, but the second half more than makes up for it. Also, for what it's worth, isn't it better to know what the characters have been doing all this while, before they get down to some serious action?

3. The post-credits scene. Oh My God! There is no point, whatsoever, in going to watch the movie if you don't wait for it. You simply HAVE to see it.

4. On a side-note, if you're relatively new to the Marvel universe, you must see The Superhero Squad Show (Yes, it's a cartoon, and no, it's not a very serious one either. But looking past all that, it's a serious refresher course in everything Marvel) before the next movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe releases, as it really helps you understand the characters. I wouldn't have understood the importance of the post- credits scene without it.

5. The fight sequences (the gist of which we all saw over and over again at Comic-Con!) finally makes it look like we are watching a superhero movie. It's not one until some old-fashioned ka-pow!

6. And yes, there are many scenes which are a fanboy's (or girl's) most awesome-est dream come alive!

You also, however, get the worst of Whedon, which I admit, I pretty much dreaded. I won't say what it is, as it will spoil it for you, but it's really very obvious if you've seen anything of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (my opinion may not, however, be accurate, as some might argue that what we've seen is actually, his best) Whatever the general consensus, there is no doubt that Whedon gives his best shot at leaving his mark in the Marvel 'verse (!) and his best is pretty darn good!

If I simply HAVE to find flaws in the movie, the only one I can think of right now is that some important Avengers - Ant-Man, Wasp, Black Panther and Vision - are nowhere to be seen. Black Widow was the only token female in this all-testosterone group, so Wasp would have been a welcome addition, as the scales would not be so unbalanced.

The Avengers works because underneath all the larger-than-life heroes with their huge egos, their actions and emotions are just human enough to be believable. Things do not just fall in place - everybody does not magically get along with each other and fight away to glory - they had to work hard to make it happen. And that, is this movie's biggest USP.

All-in-all, go watch the movie, if not on the first day, then at least some other time for as long as it's on in the theaters. Your first glimpse of this movie just HAS to be on the big screen.