IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 174: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A Mega-Blockbuster Conglomeration of Marvel Superheroes!

Author: sandnair87 from India
21 April 2015

The Avengers is a clean-burning, six-cylinder entertainment - a wall-to-wall action bonanza, executed with a fluid coherence. It laughs in the face of expectation and instead sets its own bar that all blockbusters need to follow.

Following on from the first Thor flick, the demi-god's evil brother Loki (a deliciously fiendish Tom Hiddleston) is intent on subjugating humanity with the help of an all-powerful energy cube that'll allow him to bring his alien armies to Earth. Trouble starts when this glowing cube of untold power called the Tesseract is appropriated by Loki, who with a nudge from his magic assegai brain-zaps a snap marksman Hawkeye (a competent Jeremy Renner) and a top scientist into his evil scheme of world domination. All that stands in his way is Nick Fury (the ever reliable Samuel Jackson), the head of the covert peacekeeping organization S.H.I.E.L.D. who sets about uniting the world's superheroes to avert the threat, rounding up our titular team - Iron Man (a hilarious Robert Downey Jr.), The Hulk (a subversively charming Mark Ruffalo), Thor (the charismatic Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (a sincere turn by Chris Evans) and Black Widow (the sexy but earnest Scarlett Johansson) – hoping they will be greater than the sum of their parts. Problem is, they're a dysfunctional outfit, with differences of opinion and troubled pasts, and one of them is a gigantic, green loose cannon. Now, with a global catastrophe looming, they must subsume individual will to the collective good. But Loki isn't called 'the god of mischief' for nothing! Before Fury's new super team can find its balance, Loki is in their heads sowing seeds of doubt, distrust, anger and conflict. Can earth's mightiest heroes put their differences aside in time to protect the planet – or is their coming together an even bigger threat than Loki himself?

The Avengers doesn't buckle under the weight of its gargantuan expectations and overflowing cast, largely because of Joss Whedon. He weaves all of the powder-keg moments into a story that is meaningful and always makes sense. The point in The Avengers is to bring six separate characters together as a team without sacrificing their individuality and by extension their value as solo franchises and Whedon does an excellent job of keeping the disparate personalities of his protagonists in play. Whedon's script sparks up the exposition with some sparkling dialogue, high stakes and balls- to-the-wall action spectacle. If you don't believe me, check out the thrilling alien-bashing finale on the streets of Manhattan - it is a pure fan boy wet-dream.

Smart, funny, pulsating and surprisingly cathartic, Joss Whedon succeeds in appeasing its core fanbase. From ambition to scale to the way it justly balances each remarkable character, The Avengers is utterly stimulating, satisfyingly scripted and damn right faultless big screen entertainment. The Avengers make us do something increasingly rare in these over-franchised times - root for a sequel. Go smash!

a must watch movie

Author: ramanarao1997 from india
17 April 2015

The graphics of the movie are amazing.IT includes many awesome scenes such as fighting,immense action scenes transforming of tony stark and hulk other themes of the movie are the attitude of tony,huge star cast,action packed scenes and many more.on the whole you get the pleasure of watching a nice movie and the time just passes by when you watch this movie.but the starting of the movie is somewhat dragging.when the characters come into play one by one the movie gets interesting.it also has some comedy scenes.it is the first movie to have more than 3 marvel characters.if you are a lover of visual effects you must definitely watch this movie!!!!!!!!!

The Avengers (04/27/2012)

Author: Al1899 from United Kingdom
28 March 2015

After watching the film today, I decided to review this film because I am literally on the edge of my seat for the sequel and every time I wake up for university or for work, I view all three trailers and get even more excited and emotional for the film!

I watched the film on 04/27/2012 when it was released in Scotland and for me to see all the heroes and supporting characters brought in from their respective films together into one film was dream come true for me. I always hoped for a Justice League film consisting of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), The Flash, Hawkgirl & J'onn J'onzz, but I have to admit that DC are rushing things for their cinematic universe. From the introduction to each hero to their developing relationships to the funny moments between each character and to the amazing visual affects, there is not a dull moment in this film! The Avengers is FANTASTIC!

We know who the characters are and their origins developed from the preceding films - Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011) & Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). Seeing these superheroes uniting together to save the world in the big screen was extremely fun and boisterous.

Many fans of the superhero genre want a balance of fighting, explosions as well as intelligent scenes and Joss Whedon and Zack Penn do just that with their vision and imagination.

The scenes are entertaining and hilarious especially when the characters are interacting with one another during the film such as Captain America meeting Iron Man after the confrontation with Loki, Iron Man mocking Captain America and Thor, the chemistry with Bruce Banner is poetic in the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier conference room and finally, the scene between Thor and the Hulk is hilarious especially when Thor is sucker punched by the Hulk. Also, the scene when Iron Man thrusts the energy onto the shield of Steve Rogers to annihilate a Chitauri fleet foreshadows events in Captain America 3 or better now known as Captain America: Civil War. In addition, it's a shame that Edward Norton didn't return as Bruce Banner/Hulk, but Mark Ruffalo nailed the scenes in his first film in the role bequeathed to him by the former. Ruffalo portrays Banner in a phlegmatic manner managing to control his impeccable rage only to easily let it out when in the Hulk mode, his performance is AMAZING!!!

The best part of the movie for me would have to be the moment when Tony Stark as Iron Man introduces himself as a team player near the climax - after being lambasted by Steve Rogers/Captain America earlier - when he intercepts the missile and takes it through the wormhole toward the Chitauri fleet destroying the mother ship.

However, the stars of the film for me would have to be Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Hiddleston. Both actors are superb in their roles as Iron Man and Loki, respectively.

Marvel and DC both have a variety of rich characters and even a brilliant number of story lines, however, in my eyes, Marvel will always be number one because they have implemented their films with careful planning and precision. In the end, when it comes to Marvel Cinematic Films, you will crave for more because of its awesomeness and we all know for a fact that Marvel will up their game and will ALWAYS deliver for their loyal fan base.

Undeniably the best super-hero movie

Author: Ouk Samsomony from Phnom Penh, Cambodia
20 March 2015

Each plot of the movie make us curious of what comes next. The direct know how to manage every superheroes and villains in balance, all of them has unique strange. We keep wondering how Iron Man look so cool and why Captain America is a serious patriot. The effect and CGI are also outstanding. And as usual, Marvel will give so many easter eggs for geeks to find out. The success of this movie come up when Iron Man franchise along with Captain America: the first avenger and Thor released previous years. The Avenger can be main contender for best superheroes movies against DC's Dark Knight Rise though I prefer Marvel movies. I suggest all Marvel/superheroes movies lover to watch this movie. period.

Greatest superhero movie in history

Author: flblueeyedboy from United States
21 January 2015

Saw the preview at the end of Thor back in 2011... had to wait almost a year to experience the global phenomenon first-hand. The theater experience wasn't something to forget.

All in all, the title of this review says it all. 'Marvel's The Avengers' is quite possibly the greatest superhero movie in history. The combination of hardcore assassins Widow and Hawkeye, reclusive Banner, arrogant Iron Man, leader Cap and the Norse brothers Thor and Loki mixes itself together into a concoction of personalities and superpowers which guarantees to impress.

Marvel has set the bar high for themselves. Since its release, only a select few superhero movies have compared to it. And all of them have been Marvel!

Avengers is an amazing movie with an amazing cast

Author: Lucy Mernit from United States
30 October 2014

"The Avengers" brings together a group of extremely talented actors and epic superheroes, to create an action packed movie with hilarious banter laced into countless scenes. Superhero movies give actors a chance to play new characters with personalities they have never portrayed before. Chris Evans is the extremely passionate and kind hearted Captain America, while Robert Downey Jr is the tougher and sassier Iron Man. The film is very creative with introducing each character and later bringing them together. The villain, Loki Laufeyson, played by Tom Hiddleston, even shows his weak spots and is almost seen as part of the Avengers team. The actors have fantastic chemistry with each other on and off screen, and they make man- tights and capes look more fashionable than ever. The majority of the film is done by special effects, made by an amazing team. They transform New York City into a place for heroes, placing Tony Stark's towering house in the middle of the city. Even at the end of the film, the unsuspecting Tony Stark is willing to sacrifice himself for the good of everyone else. This is a wonderful movie to watch if you want to be thoroughly entertained while having your feeling played with at the same time.

a fabulous film that proved the dominant superhero films

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
21 October 2014

After all the films leading to this one we were promised the Avengers on screen and this film gave us that big time. This film sees a group of big personalities having to come together and defeat a mad man and his army from enslaving humanity. One of the most important parts of the build up to this film was Robert Downey jnr's performance as Tony stark/iron man, and he is just as awesome in this film. His character grows in all these films but he is still the narcissist that we love. Also Chris Evans as captain America was really important as he is the leader and comes across as the moral compass of the whole film but he isn't boring which is great for the character. The rest of the performances are great as well, first of all is the recasting of Mark ruffalo as Bruce banner/hulk and he was the biggest surprise in this film. He was great in both roles and the hulk has absolutely never been better then this film. Chris Hemsworth is back as Thor and this guy is absolutely seriously movie star and makes this character a great character full of personality. Scarlett Johansson returns as black widow and she is sexy and tough while also proving that she is also the best female in these superhero films around. Samuel L Jackson is back as Nick fury and he is great as the character and squeezes the most he can out of this great character. The one member of the team that isn't really developed is Hawkeye, he isn't really himself for the most of the movie but even then the last battle he becomes great. What is important in a film like this is having a great villain and Tom hiddlestone as Loki definitely succeeds at that. He is just so fun to watch and you buy that he could pull off all this destruction. Sometimes simplicity is best for a story and this is one of those times, it has happened before that a group of combustible elements have to team up but this film gets the most out of it and adds real drama to the film. The script is the best part of the film and the dialogue between the characters is what makes this film so enjoyable to watch because it makes all the characters feel unique and there own personalities. The style of this film is great, the action is all enjoyable and the film looks great but I have to mention the show stealer that is the incredible hulk. This is the best interpretation of the hulk and he looks better then ever and he is possibly the best character in the film. Overall this is one of my favourite films ever and this is a comic book fans dream.

Plot, Costume, and Theme Review

Author: loughjordan from United States
25 September 2015

Knowing a little bit about comic books, and knowing some about Avengers Assemble it made this film The Avengers, directed by Joss Whedon, even more enjoyable for me.

When Earth comes under attack by Asgardian Loki (Tom Hiddleston) in his pursuit to get the Tesseract, it is up to S.H.I.E.L.D. to pull start up The Avengers. After a small town is almost completely destroyed by Thor on a previous visit to Earth S.H.I.E.L.D. decided that they needed something that could take on anything that was not from "this world". So when Nick Fury calls on some of the biggest heroes Earth has ever met: Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Black Widow (Scarelett Johansson), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America (Chris Evans), and of course Thor (Chris Hemsworth).

The theme of this movie in my opinion would be Man vs. Man. This is because throughout the entire film there is some sort of conflict going on. The first and main conflict that appears is Loki attacking S.H.I.E.L.D. takes control of Hawkeye and Dr. Selvig in order to steal the Tesseract and use it for his own purposes. A second conflict that appears in the film is between Thor and Loki. When Thor still considers them brothers Loki retaliates and says that he is not really his brother and that he should still be the "true" ruler of Asgard.

With the costumes that have been chosen for this film it helps to create the aspect of the heroes being more than a normal human. Even with Hawkeye and Black Widow, Black Widow had been trained pretty much from birth to become a killer, and Hawkeye has advance skills in marksmanship. With Thor's costume he is wearing something that helps to prove that he is not from Earth and from another world. Now for Iron Man, he made his own super suit that could do almost anything, which includes keeping him safe from being torn up from the roaders on the ship that S.H.I.E.L.D. was functioning from after an attack from Loki and his minions.

Finally, in the final attack with Loki and The Avengers, Thor takes Loki back to Asgard to deal with his faults there where the intention is for him to be properly punished.

This is a must see film especially if you are a comic book junkie!

"You and I remember Budapest very differently" (dialog)

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
27 January 2015

As a reviewer, I don't mess up often but, just like the line where Stark is ribbing Loki, sometimes even an IMDb top reviewer can have performance issues.

My first view, I was annoyed that so much time was spent on backstory and it took an hour to get the ball rolling. Although in fairness once this story starts to move in the second hour, it MOVES.

By my third viewing I could see the issue. I grew up with these characters and I had expectations. The expectations were incorrect, I now know, because those expectations were the reason the Marvel library was such a mess before the arrival of the Whedon Bros.

So what Joss did was analyzed what was not working in past Marvel films then de-constructed the Avengers story, then build a film which could act as a base for future sequels, wit ha solid foundation.

And wrote a script to die for. By the third time around I was actually listening to the film instead of just watching, and boy can that guy write.

Like the line I posted as the title of this review. It took me 3 viewings to catch it. It is sly, it is sexual, and it is totally easy to overlook in all the action. But I was on the floor laughing.

So there you go, it is fun, action packed (last hour), written at an Oscar level, the characters are perfectly cast (except the Nick Fury I grew up with was Caucasion, but I guess no one remembers) and, to keep the suits happy, not only made a bundle on its own but launched a new franchise.

So that's a 10

***********************************************

ATT IMDb READERS IN THE BLIND -- ATT IMDb READERS IN THE BLIND

Just watched this for the 8th time and want to update my review. As of this year (2017) this is, at the same time, one of the best "action" films in the history of the medium and one of the best scripts in the history of action films. I believe Joss received only one award for the screenplay, which is a pity, because it shows that the industry simply does not respect this genre. The little twists and turns that hold viewer attention like glue ("I'M ALWAYS ANGRY" "PUNY GOD") are a Whedon trademark, and massively under-appreciated. I will also suggest that nothing with the Marvel brand that has arrived since Avengers I has been this good -- and I am including all their TV and other off-cable projects in that comment. The only flaw, and I mean the ONLY one, is that the close of this film sets an entire armada of "politically correct" followups having to do with the public blaming superheroes ... for being superheroes. Personally, as a superhero fan for over 60 years, I think that entire arc sucks and one day Marvel will figure that out. Otherwise perfect film!

Manure and smudge

Author: Lisa Berglund from Sweden
24 March 2016

Does anyone remember how you or other children when you were young was playing with action figures and came up with the most crappy adventures you can imagine? Like when Batman and Buzz Lightyear climbed your parent's bookshelf, Godzilla splashed and murdered The Lego figures in the bathtub filled with foam, or when He-man saved Barbie from The Street Sharks? Well ... It must have been that kind of games that Joss Whedon was playing that made him think of this extremely embarrassing and bad idea of a movie.

The Avengers is the definition of what a bad American action movie produced in Hollywood is. I understand why Marvel emptied out the whole toy box when they made the comic in the 60's so children could have something to read when they pooped on the toilet so it stank mashed potatoes with spinach, but who comes up with the idea to make a movie today, in the beginning of the second millennium, which is about a soldier from the 40's waking up from a coma after several years, only to discover that The Hulk, Ironman and some damn archer wants to fight gangsters and monsters with him. And not to forget! a god from another planet with a big hammer. So what's the plot? Exactly, what is this movie about more than that all these famous cartoon characters meet each other and it's epic for the win? Apparently that they are going to stop the mischievous Loki and his alien army from enslaving humanity. Wow! That sounds almost as exciting as if Scrooge Mcduck built a large magnet which robbed humanity of all the money in the world and The Avengers were forced to team up with Donald Duck and his nephews. A movies like that would break the roof on Box Office in no time. Because that's what it's all about, to make money and sell more toys to children. If you want to see animated characters get together, you might as well see The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones or House of Mouse instead.

This is the worst and most embarrassing movie I've ever seen.

Seeing this movie was as disgusting as eating at McDonald's after a long road trip filled with vomit and radio music. Those of you who appreciate this kind of movies might as well play pocket pool with candy in your mouths. DISGUSTING!