IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 175: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: horseygurlz from United Kingdom
24 December 2012

The danger with every superhero movie is that it will end up either horrifically unrealistic or unappealing to anyone over the age of ten. I am pleased to say that 'The Avengers' does not fall into either of these pitholes - in fact, it has to be awarded the title of one of the best films of 2012.

The actors were all amazingly casted in their respective roles and do an amazing job of creating intriguing and lovable characters. Many of them were reprising roles they had taken on in previous films - Captain America, Thor or Iron Man, for example - so we already had a good idea of how they would perform, but I feel they all exceeded expectations. Robert Downey Jr was incredible as the humorous yet conflicted Tony Stark/ Iron Man, and Chris Evans was brilliant as the confused, out-of-time Steve Rogers/ Captain America. Mark Ruffalo, the newbie of the cast, stepped into the role of Bruce Banner/ Hulk with great skill and dispersed all doubts as to his suitability. On the other side, Tom Hiddleston really has to be congratulated for his convincing and somehow relatable performance as the villain Loki, whose wit and tricks appealed to fans everywhere.

The special effects in this movie were undoubtedly excellent, and despite their need to be ostentatious never seemed unnecessarily unrealistic. The director Joss Whedon did a fabulous job and has created a cinematic classic that will be praised for years to come.

This film is a MASTERPIECE!

Author: James-p-r from United Kingdom
19 May 2012

UK title "Avengers Assemble"/ Rest-Of-World "The Avengers". Just like "Transformers: Dark of the Moon", this film was eagerly anticipated by fans, such as myself. I could not wait for the film to be released on 26th April. Unlike "TF3" however, this film live up to the hype. It surpassed my expectations (and I expected a lot). It didn't feel forced and certainly did not feel like a sequel to one particular lead-up film. It felt like a well-made sequel to ALL the films.

The final battle wasn't just an all-out brawl - it seemed integral to the story and characterisation of the film.

Every character had their "time to shine" and they were as you remember them from their "build-up" films - Tony Stark was cocky, witty and likable, Steve Rodgers was patriotic, a "man-out-of-time" and focused on the mission and Thor was a demi-god warrior.

Then there's the Hulk, played by Mark Ruffalo instead of Ed Norton this time around. This Hulk/Banner was perfect. Ruffalo brought a sense of humour to this famously angry character and really helped pull-off the Hulk where others have either tried and failed (Hulk 2003) or tried and only just failed (The Incredible Hulk 2008).

We also got a brief look at Black Widow (Scarlett Johanson)'s background and her relationship with Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner). Even next to their super-powered team-mates, these two proved their worth to be part of the team.

Tom Hiddleston as Loki was brilliant, Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury was what you'd expect from this actor, Clark Gregg was once again great as Phil Coulson and Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill was a good decision and while her performance was good I feel she was underused.

This film has and amazing soundtrack, brilliant actors, likable characters (even Loki), great 3D effects, an enjoyable story and epic action. Congratulations and thank you to Director Joss Whedon and the rest of the crew for putting together a masterpiece.

Great Film

Author: alexrosling from United Kingdom
8 December 2012

The Avengers is one of the best films that I have ever seen. A great combination of all the best super heroes and Marvel have done a great job. Before I went to see it, I honestly thought it would be rubbish because quite a lot of Films that try to combine other characters or clever sequels never usually do well, but I think that The Avengers is an exception. It also has a great cast of well known actors such as Robert Downey Jr, Jeremy Renner and Sammuel L Jackson. My only concern is that the end battle against the Aliens went on a bit too long and they could have shortened it by quite a bit. The Special Effects are some of the best I've ever seen. Overall, I think that it is a great film that I highly recommend.

Fanfare for the Merry Marvel Marching Society!

Author: higherall7 from Detroit, Michigan
27 June 2012

Being at one time a young ten year old kid who cut his teeth on 'COWBOY SAM' books and 'JOHN HENRY AND THE DOUBLE-JOINTED STEAM DRILL' as well 'UNCLE ARTHUR'S BEDTIME STORIES', the adventures of the MARVEL UNIVERSE were a welcome introduction into what the older kids were reading and doing. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby somehow as though by divine guidance properly gauged the angst of those teenage years in the Sixties and the zeitgeist of that era. Before the Avengers battled the Space Phantom, I cannot remember when I ever encountered a Superhero like the Hulk. Basically he was a bully in diapers who did not play well with others. After the Avengers at last sent the Space Phantom back into limbo where he belonged, the Hulk related that his feelings were hurt by the remarks others made about him during the heat of battle. He gave the Avengers his walking papers and jumped off into parts unknown.

This never would have happened in the JUSTICE LEAGUE.

During the showing I attended, after the credits were done, there is a scene where the Avengers are sitting together in a restaurant eating. The expressions on their faces indicate that they would all rather be somewhere else. When I first saw it, it appeared a little non-sequitur and just something added-on to pique interest. But then I went to my Volume 1 of the ESSENTIAL AVENGERS which covers the first twenty four issues of their saga. I decided to use it as a reference for my remarks in this review. When I got to page two of Issue Two, there it was right at the bottom! Essentially the same scene that tagged the end of the Avengers movie. Oh, the setting was different as well as a couple of the characters present or absent, but the theme of the scene was identical to the movie. A bunch of misfits decide to get together and meet regularly in order to increase and better facilitate group cohesion and they can barely stand being in each other's presence! It's the American Experience reductio ad absurdum. It is also the Human Experience should you wish to wax philosophical about it.

Reminds me of something I once heard Jesse Jackson declare during a speech and I believe he was quoting Martin Luther King; "We have to learn to live together no matter how painful, or we'll die apart as fools."

Suffice it to say that for the Avengers working together and living together is particularly painful at times.

No, Robert Downey Jr. would not have ordinarily come to mind as Tony Stark AKA IRON MAN, with his yuppie insouciance, but this is a new generation with its own issues and tastes, so there's no use asking "-where have you gone Errol Flynn and Ronald Coleman?". They're probably having lunch with Joe DiMaggio. Downey, in his own way, does more than represent with IRON MAN.

Knowing this genre intimately and well, this time I may be too close to it to effectively evaluate it. There are all kinds of things in this movie that do not fit, but that's the glory of the Marvel Universe. It is a depot for all the things that do not fit that are somehow made to achieve this transcendent irreverent harmony, rhythm and balance. As Edward G. Robinson once said in THE CINCINNATI KID, "-sort of like Life-".

Samuel L. Jackson has no real business being in the AVENGERS doing his usual scenery chewing, channeling bits of 'SHAFT' and 'HAWK' and the Black Man's angst about wanting in on the American Dream. For one thing, the original Nick Fury was a white World War Two hero who headed a squad called Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos. He would probably be in his nineties by now, but only a time chosen few would know that. Besides, that's the beauty of this fantasy scenario. Nobody really questions what or who these super-powered characters are supposed to be avenging. Actually they're more like the FINAL GUARDIANS than AVENGERS. Anyway, you really would be missing the point pursuing this line of questioning. Here are all these odds and ends of personality and death-defying events and cultural themes somehow welded and soldered together in a kind of collage of imagination and experience and juvenile science fiction and it all works because in the end this ain't your universe. It's the MARVEL UNIVERSE and you're just living and thrilling in it. When you look at it that way, Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury gets down and gets back, and redefines the American Dream as something more than that house with the little white picket fence and perhaps simply the divine right to be whatever you want to be.

Joss Whedon and Zak Penn finally wised up and decided to stand on the shoulders of giants Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, instead of jumping off to do their own thing with the Marvel Universe. They have written a tale to celebrate. Joss Whedon's direction is Marvelouseque rather than a penetrating interpretation that sometimes hits and sometimes misses as in the case with Sam Rami's SPIDERMAN movies.

Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, Tom Huddleston as Loki, Scarlet Johansson as the Black Widow, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye and Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, all have sufficient back stories now either through prior movies or the comics for the audience to be thoroughly prepared for what they might do. They are all so very nearly the characters themselves that all that's left is to be swept up in the action that is truly our satisfaction. And yet, the thing that makes the greatest impact in the end is the characters themselves.

Welcome to the Marvel Age of Comics in Cinema!

MARVELous

Author: rossiepearson from United Kingdom
5 December 2012

"The tesseract has awakened." spoken in the opening scene, picks right up where 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and 'Thor' left off. S.H.E.I.L.D director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is forced to call upon earths mightiest hero's to stop the self outcast Asgardian Loki.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk, along with Black Widow and Hawkeye, are the only hope to save the world from an invasion, and boy do they in an instant superhero classic. Possibly the best thing about The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble in the UK) is that each hero has grounded powers the exception being Thor (unless you count Hulk's strength as a super power), which makes the Marvel hero's more believable than their DC. counterparts.

There's drama, action, comedy, and some amazing CGI, and thankfully doesn't fall into the same category as the not so fantastic Fantastic 4 movies. Mark Ruffalo, replacing the underwhelming Ed Norton, excels as Bruce Banner/Hulk, which is without a doubt the best on screen version of the iconic hero after the awful 2003 'Hulk' movie and 2008's slightly improved 'The Incredible Hulk', as well as Ruffalo and co star Robert Downey Jr. Playing Tony Stark/Iron Man for the 4th time, having some fantastic chemistry in a scene on-board the Hellcarrier.

Chris Evans plays Captain America perfectly as the man out of time, Chris Hemsworth is believable in his role as Loki's Brother (like in Thor) Scarlett Johansson is the surprise of the movie though with a lot of the action revolving around her Black Widow, the only major disappointment with The Avengers is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is underused. That being said every hero gets decent screen time to justify their appearance as well as everyone having a big part to play in the fantastic final sequence.

However, The Avengers towers over every superhero movie in recent memory with the only real challengers being X-Men and The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joss Whedons hit is sure to please Marvel fans and the everyday movie goer. Next up for Marvel studios, Iron Man 3, cant wait.

Best quote in the movie: Loki:"How desperate are you that you call upon such such lost creatures to defend you?"

If you enjoyed watching: X-Men, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, you'll enjoy watching The Avengers (Avengers Assemble).

A superhero film true to its name.

Author: prashanta_guha from India
7 May 2012

Let's be honest. All the previous Marvel films leading to the Avengers were great - story wise, acting wise, effect wise etc. Iron Man I & II, Thor, Captain America all turned out to be (surprise) box office hits, and one can see the point. So, when at the end of every movie, a post credits scene was shown depicting that there is something even greater planned, the expectations were raised pretty high.

Joss Whedon (Firefly, Cabin in the Woods) took into account that set expectations, of both comic book fans and non-fans alike, and put together a superhero flick that'll rest proudly as the conclusion to its predecessors. The screenplay writers, the VFX studio, the actors (Robert Downey Jr. has always been my favorite) all deserve credit.

An action packed, blockbuster movie that already has every record broken and every voice cheering, The Avengers is one of the best movies this year. A must watch, even if you're not into this stuff. 10 on 10.

Beautifully Done Masterpiece

Author: rayrodgpa from United States
12 May 2012

I'll admit it, I was extremely doubtful about this film. I've loved Joss Whedon's work my entire life and I had enjoyed all the previous Marvel films that led up to this one, especially Iron Man. But the fact that they brought together all of these different characters from all these different movies and put them together in 2 1/2 hour film was unprecedented and almost seemed impossible. But the optimist in me got me to the theater with me expectations shaky. Once the film started I was quickly drawn in and once the title appeared on the screen I knew that Joss Whedon had done it. The Avengers is without a doubt my favorite Marvel film and even my favorite action film ever made. Whedon did a great job writing this masterful, witty script that ingeniously put together all these characters and made it flow perfectly. The actors did such a great job playing these characters again and it didn't seem like anyone was underutilized and everyone got a chance to be in the spotlight(especially the hulk). Once you see all of the characters assemble and fight the bad guys you can't help but fill with happiness. The entire movie was such a fun thrill ride from the beginning to the end and the ending battle scene was brilliantly done. I am extremely delighted to say that Joss Whedon has done the impossible and made one of the most entertaining movies ever made.

All in all, one of the best films I've seen in a while.

Author: Liam McBey from Scotland
28 April 2012

Cannot find too much fault in this film, apart from maybe the fact you will need to have seen all previously related films, luckily I had seen Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America and Thor, so I knew the back story from the get-go.

I feel all of the characters were given enough screen time, I would have maybe liked to see Thor a bit more, I think he was underused, he could have done a lot more with his massive power, like killing one of those massive lizard things on his own, the character of the Hulk was brilliantly well played by Mark Ruffalo, he portrayed Banner as a very calm and collected man and very laid back which is needed for him, it created a newfound interest in the character for me, as I was never a great fan of the Hulk. As always Robert Downey Jr did a fantastic job of Iron Man, with the majority of the film's funny lines coming from him.

Chris Hemsworth borough back the mighty Thor and did so tremendously, like I said I think he could have been used a lot more, the Black Widow was also a nice addition, even though she had appeared previously in Iron Man 2, (although the tight leather outfit was a bit distracting lol.) I found it incredibly hard to stop looking at her behind, but luckily I was wearing 3D glasses in the dark so nobody could tell.

Hawkeye was really well played, for some reason the actor looks a LOT like Gerard Butler to me, I don't know why. But regardless he is a great character and I found it very funny when he asked Iron Man for a lift up to a roof of a building, and Tony Stark replied "Ok hang on then Legolas". Little funny lines like that made the entire cinema laugh a lot.

The humour of the film mainly came from Iron Man/Tony Stark, also quite a lot of funny moments came from Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I was a bit confused as to why he can suddenly control the Hulk, when he completely lost control on the ship earlier on. There were deep and meaningful thoughts about Bruce's alter ego, but there was a lot of humour to be had from the Hulk as well, (particularly when he smashes Loki on the ground again and again).

One small annoyance I had was the continuity on the level of strength and toughness each character had. In the film Thor, he was made to look like the most powerful being ever, with one whack sending big ice men flying 50 feet in the air, but in this film he only whacks them back about ten feet, which is exactly the same distance Captain America and Iron Man can hit (which it shows in the fight scene involving the three of them). It's just an annoyance of mine but I found it hard to figure out which one of them had the most strength, fair enough Steve Rogers is a super soldier but Thor is a demigod, you would think he would have a lot more more strength in comparison, one second a whack from Thor's Hammer can knock the Hulk ten feet away, but it doesn't even leave a scratch on Captain America's shield? And yes I know the shield is made with some indestructible material mentioned in the Cap film, but the Hulk is quite tough too and he got knocked away completely.

I also kinda wished they fought directly next to each other more, you never see all of them at the exact same place, they're always scattered about and you never get the feeling they are a full team, throughout the film I was waiting for some epic bit where all 5 of them pulled off some unique combo that involved all of them, but the most I got was two or three of them in the same place in the final battle.

But all in all, the film is brilliantly well done, action scenes are engrossing and genuinely frightful, you get some empathy for Bruce Banner, you genuinely worry about certain characters and I for one was thrilled with it, I was worrying it might be too many characters for one film but they nailed it.

Solid fun movie

Author: cidliq from California
6 July 2012

THE GOOD- I was truly impressed with how well they pulled this movie off. The visual effects were all very clean. The characters were portrayed by the actors very well. This movie was loaded with action keeping everyone's attention glued to it. I was so impressed, I went to the theater to see it more than once and recommended it to everyone. I was very happy to see most of the actors return to portray their characters in this. THE BAD- Most characters.... The hulk was my big issue here. Mark Rufflo was good with the Bruce Banner character but the graphics for the hulk just did not meet the level of the movie starring Edward Norton. But it was not so bad that I could not look past it and really find enjoyment. I will most definitely go see another installment of Avengers.

AS expected

Author: lmbd2001 from saudi arabia, jubail
4 July 2012

The movie is certainly marvel's best till now and has great effects. Though little childish at times it is very good. As I expected it was one of the best films with descent, comedy parts. The acting was above average and the dialogues were really mind-boggling. It was a bit lengthy but was touching every single minute. The story was very good and the superhero's were described nicely. Bruce Banner very polite when he was not Hulk, Captain America very serious and all that. It was defiantly worth watching and is one of the best superhero films. I am looking ford for the Avengers 2 and I am searching the whole internet for a little glimpse of it.