IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 166: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A comic and not a relief

Author: Marc Marchioli from United States
22 July 2012

Guess I expected more but shouldn't from a comic book company. I did think that much of the acting was above par and quite good in many instances. However, the poor relationship to obeying or at least extending the laws of physics was just inexcusable. I'll try to precisely explain my sentiments: 1) what's the logic in having an aircraft carrier fly? A runway on a ship that's supposedly capable of flying? If it's possible to make a ship like that fly, then wouldn't it also be possible to have other flying craft that don't need a runway? Get a scientist to review your scripts before hand!

2) The scant one-liners from Robert Downey, Jr's character were annoying at best. Guess he's an ADD/ADHD character trying to appeal to multitude of ADD/ADHD fans?

3) All the hand waving over and around computer screens reminded me of the bad attempt at impressing the viewer that occurred in "Minority Report" Make the hand waving meaningful and minimal. If those screens were really needed, then Dr. Banner/Hulk would have gotten some use/knowledge or gained something from all his hand waving over supposedly touch-sensitive screens. Yet, both he and Mr. Downey (and others) seems obsessed with waving their hands around - for what?

I did enjoy Samuel Jackson's character when he responded to the lame navigator's excuse "the navigation system is reinitializing..." and he says is the "Sun up, then put it on your left" That was the most genuine moment in the whole film.

I expected the superior plot and complexity of "Thor" but was sadly disappointed with an rehash of "Independence" style special effects and a lame story of alien invaders.

All this mediocrity probably didn't impact the title's earnings. I just won't be so enthused about catching a sequel.

Maybe worth a Netflix or video store rental but not a theater ticket!

average

Author: ulidawson from Canada
9 June 2012

the avengers was an okay movie. I heard so much hype about the avengers and i didn't think it was amazing it was an okay film not really terrible and it wasn't amazing it was okay. The acting was okay but the effects were pretty good actually but because it was in 3d. I would say it deserves an acadamy award for best sound effects not best acting.every body is saying best film of the year you cant just say that right away the only film you can say the best film of the year is the Mario Puzos The Godfather. I liked the way that they put most of marvels Super Heros into one movie but only one villain. There should have been more villains in the film in summary the avengers was an OK film.

Dumbed down irrelevant nonsense

Author: hendry-robert from United Kingdom
27 January 2013

Honestly, I like the odd superhero movie but the makers of this are like the fat kid in Willy The Wonka who has to have all the chocolate.

This production (sic) treats the entire audience as low IQ zombies (no offence to actual zombies intended). There is zero depth of character development and zero story line interest. At no time whatsoever do you ever feel a sense of suspense or danger. At no time do you care if any of the characters come to harm - well you kind of know that none of them will as their superheroes - obviously. And why even bother having humans with no super powers - Oh I forgot, the humans in it are the most magical, unbelievable fighting machines. They just stand there wasting anything in their path, and Im not talking about the super heroes here. Rambo is but a beginner compared to them.

Every single facet of this farce is totally predictable from start to finish. Its one of those where you pray your transported to another reality and the bad guys actually win.

Technically its all good except the sound department have again gone mental. The action scenes are incredibly loud and were at times quite painful on the ears (seriously) and then the speaking parts were often so whispered and muffled sounding. I'm sure during post the sound guys sit there with the best sound system money can buy - but the reality is their mix doesn't translate well across systems. Bad sound isn't the problem, its the post mixing. I hear this issue on far to many movies these days and its ruining many films.

The acting by some of the cast is decent, considering the ridiculously poor script they have to work with. But in no way will any of them be remembering their part in this movie during their twilight years. This is a money and profile job - nothing more. Even then I do have to wonder if putting your name to this is actually worth it?. The directing is amateur hour. His/her (I don't know and don't care) focus is squarely on action and FX - so why not just have the FX team direct it as they certainly would have done a better job than the lucky ducky who managed to land this lucrative job. I do wonder if the director has actually ever watched a movie to see how one directs actors?

Anyway, I cant say much more about this nonsense except if you enjoy a movie which is one long mind numbing boring action scene, aimed at a dumbed down populace - then this is for you.

PS I cannot believe this movie gained so much favourable reviews. I certainly smell a rat.

Even five of the world's most powerful superheroes could't save this movie!

Author: mcoyle-381-636753
27 May 2012

Did not live up to my expectations AT ALL. For a movie with such hype, it was very long and the picture was very dark. Too many overly dramatic lines, and the buildup music lasted for practically the whole movie. I usually love superhero movies, but this one was a letdown. I don't know why it got such great ratings. The Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Captain America movies were more enjoyable on their own. I thought it would be great to see all these heroes come together, but I think it really just lead to so many main characters that the audience didn't get a chance to understand any of them individually. Special effects were great, don't get me wrong, and the 3D was cool, but that wasn't enough to save the movie. Storyline was too stretched out. Underwhelming opening. The movie didn't evoke my emotions (I wasn't scared, sad, excited, relieved when I should have been). A bunch of characters that are interesting on their own plus special effects does not equal a great movie. Overall, I'm disappointed.

Every superhero/action movie cliché rolled up into one shallow, unemotional, "PG" film.

Author: Matt Briskey from United States
25 July 2012

I honestly have no idea how this movie has made it into the IMDb Top 250. Maybe people are just so blinded by the fact that this has so many superheroes in it that they ignore the quality of the film. The Avengers has almost no emotion in it. Think about the emotion of this film compared to any of Nolan's Batman films. The turning point of this movie was when that scrub Agent Phil died? Really? He wasn't even an important character. This movie also felt very "PG" to me. It seemed more of a child's movie. I can't believe they let Joss Whedon direct this. He was fine for Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and whatever, but he ruined this movie. There were way too many cheesy "jokes" and one-liners. Additionally, I cannot express how sick I am of the "Transformer/Alien/Robots" that seem to appear in every movie. Transformers, Battleship, The Avengers (to just name a few) all have these. Not to mention Loki is the worst possible choice for a villain that they could have picked. All in all, this movie was shallow, boring, and unemotional. If you find yourself actually wanting to see this so-called movie, just do yourself a favor and see The Dark Knight Rises again. IMAX>3D. Nolan>Whedon. Hardy/Ledger>Hiddleston. Bale>Downey/Evans/Hemsworth. Nothing about this movie is even remotely good.

Is this a spoof?

Author: saad_khi from Pakistan
29 May 2012

Six (super heros) versus one nemesis!! Otherwise usually it's one against one. The fact is this film is over-hyped and doesn't live up to what it claims to be nor does it complement the critics' excitement, which is to rave the first action movie of the summer - like a ritual and to be quoted in the ads. While watching I asked myself how many times have I seen done to death special effects like a gaping hole in the sky? The aliens raining and attacking New York? Technical jargon supplemented by devices and gizmos? Some huge contraption passing for a space station floating in the sky? And so much executed and projected before that I felt fatigued! The 3D effects are absent where they should have been in your face and more - like when the black widow holds the gun at a character and the nozzle is out of the frame! The cohesive factor, and which keeps it going is the (tongue in cheek) wit, which everyone is blessed with! So much so such dialogues appear to be out of a MAD satire! And to think of it when Thor knew Loki so well or his psyche, then why send for the other five?

IMDb ratings no longer reliable

Author: kuckunniwi
25 February 2013

First of all, let me just establish the follow IMDb film ratings as a reference:

- A Clockwork Orange: 8.5 - Aliens (1986): 8.5 - American Beauty: 8.5 - Full Metal Jacket: 8.4 - Chinatown: 8.4 - Fargo: 8.2 - Donnie Darko: 8.1 - A Scanner Darkly: 7

These are the kind of movies that get (and should get) 8+ ratings. They have real content. They're innovative, original, intelligent and thought-provoking. They're timeless classics.

But the comparison may not be too fair, being such different genres. How does it REALLY stand up to Batman Begins (8.3), Watchmen (7.6), or any of the X-Men series, none of which reached and 8? These are all meant to fascinate and woe the same kind of target: comic-book fans, adrenaline-pumped teenagers and action-yearning males. Yet they are aeons away in terms of originality, depth, story and execution from 2012's The Avengers.

I don't really have much of a gripe with "The Avengers" itself, as after seeing Captain America, I expected nothing more than another formulaic blockbuster. Even so, it's pretty bad even for a fill-in-the-villain/superhero/threat formula movie. A ridiculous super villain, flat characters, no excitement (as you know how things are going to turn out)…

My disappointment is mostly with IMDb. I'd trusted their rating in the past, but it seems as if that reliability is no longer. Either all the reviews are now being written by 10-year-olds, IMDb users are losing brain cells at an incredible pace, or something's pretty fishy….

How many reviews that are titled things like "Awesome! Blew my mind!", or "Coolest superhero movie ever!", that you'd expect to be full of teenage adulation, grammatical mistakes and tons of slang, are actually very articulately written, displaying profound knowledge of script, direction, acting, and character analysis? I thought our education system was going down the drain! Where are all these lucid, eloquent, youths hiding out? And, being so instructed and discerning as they are, why the hell are they giving such a poorly made, mediocre movie such high scores?

It looks like the industry's eye has finally set on IMDb's viewer-decanting power, and is corrupting it's authenticity beyond recognition. From now on, I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for real, trustworthy reviews.

Junkiest movie ever

Author: ricardo-consonni from Sao Paulo, Brasil
13 February 2013

If you know the story, the only things that will matter will be the special effects. If you don't know the story, the only things that will matter will be the special effects. Why? Well... there is no story, just special effects - lots of them. There is no plot. Nothing makes sense, unless you know the characters' backgrounds ...and if you do, you will think this movie should be at least an hour longer, so the screenwriter could squeeze some actual dialogues in between all the action. If you take away all the eye-candy, this movie would be less than 15 minutes long - major flunk, imo. This is a movie to forget about. After you leave the theater, and talk about some of the scenes people might have enjoyed, it goes into utter oblivion - I'm sure I won't be looking forward to buying this for my DVD/BR collection.

Action only film about comic book superheroes uniting

Author: Bill-stricker from United States
24 February 2013

All I can say is I am stunned that this terrible movie has been given a rating above 2 or 3 by anyone. And to read this film grossed over $600MM makes me lack faith in the movie public. The Avengers has virtually no character development or plot. It basically is non stop chase scenes and things exploding, with an extreme amount of loud noise. I don't think there were more than several quiet, dialog times the entire movie. I kept thinking that the movie would settle down and get to a meaningful story, but it did not happen. I even was watching it in 3D but that did not help. If one wants to go see continual actions stunts and things exploding, then this is the movie for you. I am dismayed that so many people considered seeing this movie, based on the revenues, but then again, I was one of the victims too!

A Fan Service

Author: Mek Torres from Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines
25 April 2012

The Avengers movie must be a dream come true to everyone. Seeing these superheroes uniting together to save the world in the big screen. While the heroes' stand alone films doesn't have that enough action, this movie executes more of their super abilities. It's really fun and exciting. A lot of people will cheer to their favorite superheroes. This is what all fans and moviegoers want in Avengers. More fighting, more explosions, more smashing, and more fun. In the end, you will crave for more because of its awesomeness. The Avengers is simply marvelous.

Our modern blockbusters are just full of explosions that makes no sense, bland characters, and too long runtime. The runtime here is long but it's necessary. The storytelling is quite simple as it gets. We already knew who these characters are. The best part is when they develop their relationship to each other. This happened mostly in the second act. These scenes are funny and entertaining. It's more entertaining when there's Robert Downey Jr. stealing the show. Of course, he will always be like this. His chemistry with Bruce Banner is wonderful. Two geniuses working together. Other than that, the rest of the performances were also good. Chris Hemsworth is just mighty enough as Thor and Chris Evans is cool enough as Captain America. Scarlett Johansson is probably the weak link here. She's still sexy though.

Maybe the only problem here is the secondary villains. They are not as dangerous or as threatening as they suppose to be which makes it too easy for Hulk to smash them. But it doesn't matter because there's Loki stealing all of his scenes once again. Tom Hiddleston is simply fantastic as Loki. The action is pretty awesome. It's suppose to be awesome! The Hulk nails it in these scenes. It's exciting to see him smash stuff with glory. While there's Iron Man flying, Thor wielding his hammer, Captain America throwing his shield, and Hawkeye shooting with his archer. More explosions, just what everyone wants. It's fantastically cool and fun.

There are still compelling moments and drama here but the main attraction of this film is the action and explosions. The film also cares about the characters which makes it reasonable for us to care about them and cheer to them. It's a rare kind of blockbuster these days. It has clever humor, awesome action, and really fun characters. It makes the Fans and Moviegoers happy and amazed. This is the kind of blockbuster that people should watch. This film is just cool and highly recommended to see this summer. Though, I still think the first Iron Man movie is the best of this set, but still, this is a big, fun experience you will have in the big screen.