IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 173: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Big thumbs up for The Avengers

Author: natcarr-74-27114 from United Kingdom
14 May 2012

Loved this movie, even at almost 3 hours long it didn't drag. Joss Wheddon (Firefly and Buffy) effortlessly out did all of the battle scenes in every Transformer movie with the climatic showdown. there are even two or three seriously laugh out loud moments, mostly concerning The Hulk, but don't worry the film takes itself fairly seriously so you can escape into the story and immerse yourself.

Fans of Ironman, Thor and Captain America will not be disappointed. Every one of the superheroes gets their moment in the sun. And of course, there's Scarlett's character Black Widow. YUM! I'm giving the movie 10/10 (2D HD version) because it's so entertaining and it fulfilled all my expectations. You won't be disappointed.

As far as the format goes though, stick with HD, there wasn't any real 3D moments. If you are hugely into your 3D experience, think twice before paying the extra, there wasn't any stand out 3D moments, but lots of out of focus backgrounds which kinda wasted the small fortune that must have been spent on production. Go HD you'll get a better experience.

Spectacular & Historic

Author: J S from NY
13 May 2012

This film is not only spectacular but its an "historic" superhero feature film at its best. This is worth the wait. Hell, this was worth the wait 7 years ago when it was first developed. Do we really think this will be in development hell? This is The Avengers "EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES!" This is something what has NEVER been done before & Marvel has got there finger on the pulse. In 1998, a minor marvel character featuring a human/vampire hybrid made it way to the big screen. In 2000, a group of mutants evolved into the box office. In 2002, was the year of the Spider.

After Daredevil, Hulk (Ang Lee), The Punisher, Elektra, Man-Thing, Fantastic Four & Ghost Rider, Marvel Studios would start producing its own films and distribute them through Paramount Pictures & the funding will come from a seven-year, $525 million revolving credit facility with Merrill Lynch. The result led to the creation of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe". Sounds cool, right? It was. No, really, It F***in' was. Iron Man made its motion picture debut, The Hulk got rebooted, Thor & Captain America have "FINALLY" got the Big screen treatment. Then came a huge shift in the Marvel universe.... Marvel Entertainment is now owned by Mickey Mouse.

Amazing. Disney let go the Power Rangers franchise & bought Marvel.

But after everything from comics to TV & film Marvel has put out it comes to show just how far they come as a company & knowing the fact that the biggest supporters (including me) are the fans. That is why they CAN NOT Disappoint us. Yeah, we complain about story lines, costumes & special effects, But if they stay true to the comics, the films would have done its justice. But i know deep down, Marvel Studios will always put out films & stay close to the material. So, what i've said earlier, was it worth the wait? Yes. Yes it was "definitely" worth it.

Marvel Studios, the cast & crew of The Avengers did an amazing job & on the Marvel Cinematic Universe & i can't wait to see what comes next.

Now if DC & Warner Bros. step their game up, we would like to see the Justice League into the big screen.

Review - The Avengers

Author: Kane20 (Kane20290@yahoo.com) from United States
1 July 2012

I saw The Avengers on May 17. Personally, I'm not much of a superhero fan, but I quite enjoyed the movie. In my opinion, The Avengers is a pretty good and entertaining movie, and it's a good theatrical experience. James Berardinelli wrote in his review, "The Avengers kicks ass." I agree.

Over the last few years, five movies have been made - Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, and Captain America - which have built up to, and became prequels to, The Avengers. There were even things in those movies that hinted at them all being connected, and now this movie confirms it. The Avengers are all assembled in this film: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk, the Black Widow, and Hawkeye. Yes, they're all played by the same actors, and they have the backgrounds that have been established for most of them in the "prequels" mentioned above. The villain in the movie is Loki, who was the villain in Thor, and who now plans on using the Tesseract, a powerful energy cube, to open a portal to another part of the universe and attack the earth with a powerful army. The Avengers are called together by Nick Fury, who runs an agency called S. H. I. E. L. D., and they must stop Loki from carrying out his plans. There's more to the story, but I won't give any more away.

I'm sure there are things that can be criticized about the movie. However, it's really not worth it, given there are so many good things about the movie, and the entire experience is very enjoyable, so I'm not going to bother with an in-depth review/criticism. In a way, the film is sort of critic-proof (for lack of a better term). So here's my advice: don't dissect or overly analyze the movie. Just sit back and enjoy it. That's not to say that it's a total Transformers-like junk movie or anything. It's actually halfway decent.

The actors put on a good performance and really bring out their characters, and the interactions between the characters are good - the gathering of the different superheroes is handled pretty well. The story is pretty solid, and it's coherent and appropriately paced. The visual and special effects and action scenes are great. Alan Silvestri composed an effective score for the movie. Overall, the movie is halfway decent, it's smart, and it's entertaining, and, unlike many junk films like Michael Bay's, it actually allows for sufficient blockbuster emotional involvement, and it has a good, wise balance between story and action/effects. The two-and-a-half hour running length of the movie pretty much zipped by for me. So, while I don't think this movie is great, it's definitely entertaining and worth seeing, and it's a very good theater experience.

My Rating: ***1/2 (out of ****)

Action, action, action

Author: psavlax from Los Angeles, CA
6 July 2012

I always like comic based movies and this one did not disappoint. Much action, which is why I watch these movies. There were plenty of Hollywood retard thinking (which I wont mention so not to ruin the people that are not bother by it). Many funny moments and again lots of action. I would of also like if there had been full movies or some more back story on some of the characters but overall the movie was fun to watch. Great use of computer graphics and great sound track. In addition, the plot was not rich (which I think is acceptable in action movies).

Definitely a great movie for anyone that like action flicks.

The most anticipated superhero movie of all time doesn't disappoint.

Author: Danny McDandy from United States
29 April 2012

The Avengers is quite possibly the most anticipated superhero movie in history, but does it quite live up to the hype?

I know that this is the Marvel movie we have all been waiting for. This is the movie that all the others made by Marvel Studios has been leading up to. This is what they have been aching to show us.

I was pleased to learn that I would be given the chance to see the movie before its May release date in the United States, but despite my privileged opportunity, I went in with relatively low expectations. (It's just another superhero movie, but with a bunch of them at one time, right?)

Wrong...

If you are a fan of Marvel, superheroes, great CGI or just all-around intense action films, you MUST see Marvel's The Avengers.

The CGI was the best I've seen in a long time, the fighting as intense as ever, and the plot is top-notch. But these things aren't the only aspects of the movie that make The Avengers great. For me, it was the characters.

Yes, we've seen all these characters before. We've enjoyed their specific movies, but having them on screen together worked better than I could have imagined.

In fact, that was why I was apprehensive at first. I had been afraid that perhaps one hero would take away more screen time than another. (We all have our favorites.) But this wasn't the case.

Tony Stark (Robert Downy Jr.), provided his much expected wit and humor for the film, causing the crowd to laugh on many occasions. The banter between Stark and Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans) flowed well and added a lot to the character depth.

I wasn't sure how Thor (Chris Hemsworth) would be playing his part either. I thought he actually might be taking too much screen time from the others since his brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston), was the main antagonist, but this wasn't the case.

I found myself most excited in the movie when Bruce Banner/The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) came on screen. His character was done so well for this movie. I found myself thrilled and even scared in some of his scenes.

I must also mention here that Ruffalo did a superb job of taking Edward Norton's place as Bruce Banner/ The Hulk. If there's one thing that annoys me about sequels, it's when they change actors, but I actually enjoyed Ruffalo better in this role.

Of course you can't forget about Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson). Each of them played their part of the story wonderfully, though I found Sam Jackson's acting to be a little stale.

I would say that if you haven't watched the other movies made by Marvel Studios that you might want to watch them. Most references will be lost on you if you don't.

As far as screen time, it felt like every character got their time in the light. No one person stole the show, and just as Marvel intended, they ALL stole the show.

There is one particular scene that I enjoyed where the camera panned to each hero, doing their own special moves, though it's hard to explain further than that without giving anything away. However, there were moments in the movie where I had to lean over to my wife and ask what someone was talking about, but these instances were minor.

Obviously, if you care anything about Marvel movies, you're already planning to see The Avengers. If you haven't seen any of the other Marvel Studios films, take a weekend, watch them. Then go see The Avengers. I don't think you'll be sorry you did.

Here it is, the masterpiece we've been waiting for. :)

Author: achyutha037 from Bangalore
27 April 2012

I was eagerly waiting for this movie. But after seeing the Marvel movie, Captain America: the first Avenger, Thor and Incredible hulk- I thought that the movie would be not as good as the hype it carried for so many years. But still due to Robert downey jr. i wanted to see this film. OK, i admit it, i was blown away by the movie in terms of Action, and of course Humor.

Director Joss Whedon, directed this movie so BRILLIANTLY, that there are very little or NO flaws. Sufficient Screen time has been provided for each of the SUPERHEROES. but the Mighty guys, Iron man(RDJ) and the Hulk(Mark Ruffalo) steal the show. Thor(Chris Hemsworth) was too, brilliant. In this movie, you'll see more of Captain America(Chris Evans) than his solo movie, which is really great. AND, Black Widow(Scarlett Johannson) kicks the ass off whoever she fights with. Hawkeye(Jeremy Renner) is not at all Underused, his Powers were shown superbly. Nick Fury(Samuel L. Jackson) was great with his Initiative. And here it is, the main villain, Loki(Tom Hiddleston), steals the show with his mischievous and No-worries personality, he fits into the role perfectly. On the Whole, the cast were perfect, with each of them fitting into the characters with ease.

The humor and witty one liners are splendid. Don't expect it to be DARK with no humor like the Dark knight, instead it wins the heart of each and every person watching the film in the auditorium. Many people have started comparing Avengers with The dark knight, but what I SAY is these two are COMPLETELY different type of film, and comparing the two is not justified. Still if you compare, Avengers is better than Dark knight. Due to the reason that Avengers can be enjoyed by each and every person, it has action and Humor, both at equal Quantities.

As for iron man, Robert downey jr IS Iron man, no other person can do that role so perfectly. Unfortunately, RDJ is about to leave the franchise after IRON MAN 3, i request the iron man fans to please him not to leave the franchise for at least another 3 or 4 films, including AVENGERS 2. :)

I will ensure to each and every person who is reading this that, this film will never disappoint you, not even a moment. 100%. :) Go watch it without doubt. I will say that, this movie will definitely touch or cross the 1Billion mark and becomes on of the highest grossing films in the film history.

Verdict: 10/10 stars, A+++++, EXCELLENT.

one of the best move I'v seen!!

Author: rexdoggydogg from United States
3 July 2012

this movie is the best. I did not expect it to be good. WARNING this will have spoilers if you haven't seen this STOP READING. Loki is back and Nick fury is calling the Avengers. Thor,Hulk,Captain America, Hawkeye,Iron Man,and Black Widow. Iron Man was funny. Robert Downey Jr is the best Iron Man. Also The Hulk is funny. one part hulk punches Thor. If you haven't seen the after credits of Thor And you don't understand why Lokis back, Go watch the after credits for Thor and it will explain. During the credits Their is a villain that leaves for a sequel. Also after the credits its the best seen it show them eating. Now Im finished I give this a perfect 10!!!!

Avengers: An Assembly of Sheer Awesomeness!!!

Author: sanddragon939
27 April 2012

From the moment Samuel L Jackson walked in during the post-credits scene of 'Iron Man' four years ago, talking about the 'Avengers Initiative', the whole world has waited for this epic assemblage of some of Marvel's greatest icons! Well, four years and five films later, the Avengers have finally assembled...and, as expected, it was with a wave of sheer awesomeness!

Unlike the previous 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' films, 'The Avengers' isn't really into complex plotting here. The premise is simple-Loki, the Asgardian 'God', seeks to facilitate the invasion of Earth by an alien race...and Nick Fury, Director of SHIELD, responds by activating the 'Avengers Initiative', bringing together armored hero Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr. reprising the character for the third time), Loki's 'brother' and Asgardian warrior Thor (Chris Helmsworth), the living legend and man out of time Captain America (Chris Evans), gamma radiations expert Dr. Bruce Banner and his monstrous alter ego the 'Hulk' (both played to perfection by Mark Ruffalo, following in the footsteps of Edward Norton) and clandestine operatives Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson). What follows is the usual hero vs. villain fare...albeit on a scale about a BILLION times larger than that of, say, 'Spiderman'. Indeed, one of the greatest moments in the film is a single shot that sweeps across New York City, taken in the battles of each of the six Avengers across the breadth of the Big Apple...a testament to the sheer scale and scope of not only the film itself, but the threat faced by the heroes in-universe.

Action and spectacles aside, 'The Avengers' real strength lies in the characterizations of the core characters. Downey Jr. turns in another memorable performance as Tony Stark which was to be expected, and Tom Hiddleton brilliantly essays the megalomaniacal God Loki...but it is newcomer (to the Marvel movie-verse) Mark Ruffalo who really stands out in his dual performance as both scientific genius Bruce Banner and the rampaging Hulk. Ruffalo brings a level of depth to the character, and his inner struggles, which was not immediately evident in performances by previous actors. His Banner is not so much a man on the run from the monster within as he is a man who is starting to learn to accept the monster and use it as a force for good. Samuel L Jackson really gets to shine here as Nick Fury, after his cameos in previous films.

On a parting note, there has been an unfortunate tendency, for months, on message boards, blogs and forums across the Internet, to create some kind of a 'competition' between The Avengers and Nolan's upcoming epic, The Dark Knight Rises. Having seen the former, I can safely say that such comparisons are totally uncalled for. The Avengers is not aiming to surpass The Dark Knight Rises any more than Star Wars was aiming to surpass The Godfather. They are two totally different films, belonging to different genres and (literally) whole different universes, and as fans, we need to respect that above all else and enjoy all masterpieces on their own merits!

Some people just love to hate...

Author: Patxi_Espanol from Germany
14 May 2012

This is the best superhero movie I have ever seen. Full stop.

But did you actually read that? Did you get it? This is the best superhero movie I have ever seen.

It is about superheroes and it is made with today's technology. Today's technology allows movie makers to design scenes that were technologically impossible before. Any other previous superhero movie I have seen was worse.

If you never got into superhero comics then this is not a movie for you.

Now back to the summary line. Some (sorry) idiotic reviewers are comparing this movie to: Memento, Blade Runner, Psycho, The Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix, etc. And talking about lack of symbolism, depth, twists, etc. "This movie doesn't deserve this high rating, etc." Are you people on drugs?

Possible explanations for these 1 star "punisher" reviews are: 1 some people just love to hate or 2 they had a bad day or 3 they want to show off their "expert" knowledge of "le cinema" or 4 they were simply on drugs while watching this movie

So bad news guys: This movie does not have the hyper-realism of "The Bicycle Thief", the supreme intrigue of "Citizen Kane", the old fashion romance of "Casablanca", or the sublime dialogs of "12 Angry Men". This is only the best superhero movie I have ever seen.

I am 50, I have an engineering degree, my favorite pastime is movies, my favorite genre is Sci-Fi, my favorite movie is Blade Runner and THIS IS STILL THE BEST SUPERHERO COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION I HAVE EVER SEEN (sorry for shouting) and this is why in my review this movie deserves a 9 (not 10 because it is not art).

If you want to see an "artsy" movie check out "The Bicycle Thief" (and take some antidepressants with you). If you want to see what a "real" superhero would do see "Chronicle" (highly recommended).

If you want to see a good comic book adaptation you cannot do any better than this movie…

Best. Comic Book Movie. EVER.

Author: Rachel Hyland from Geek Speak Magazine
27 April 2012

This, friends, is the comic book movie that all other comic book movies wish they could be. It's the pinnacle, the ultimate, the surely unsurpassable achievement in its particular oeuvre, a grand adventure full of humor, action, tension, fan service and an undeniable pathos. For anyone fearing that all the hype – years and years worth of hype – might cheapen or otherwise overshadow the final outcome, you may at last be at ease. Because the JOSS WHEDON! AVENGERS MOVIE! is exactly as good as we all hoped it could be.

Maybe even better.

The Avengers, of course, are a superhero team made up of Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and the Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson). Other heroes have come and gone amongst this happy few, in comic form, but here all you need to know is that this film serves as kind of a sequel to previous Marvel movies IRON MAN(both 1 and 2), THE INCREDIBLE HULK, THOR and CAPTAIN America, bringing the billionaire Tony Stark, the scientist Bruce Banner, the demigod Thor and the recently defrosted World War II veteran Steve Rogers together to fight against an invading alien threat, alongside spies Clint Barton (Jeremy Denner) and Natasha Romanov (Scarlett Johansson) and under the auspices of Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Man, it's awesome. AWE. SOME.

Oh, it's by no means a perfect film. Whedon is perhaps just a shade too in love with S.H.I.E.L.D technology, and the weight of portent which is given to some truly innocuous lines – especially the final line – feels a little off-kilter. Flashing up a computer image of Natalie Portman's Jane (Thor's love interest from his movie) felt a little like an apology, and the shadowy government hacks who attempt to control Nick Fury are by-the-numbers backroom power players of the Cigarette Smoking Man-school, ruthless and annoyingly cliché.

Everything else, though? Simply, outstandingly, without a shadow of a doubt incredible.

Just for fun, let's talk acting. All our returning superheroes reprise their roles with ease, Downey Jr. once again a delight as the arrogant billionaire Stark and Evans stoic and earnest as the displaced Cap. The award for Most Improved has to go to Chris Hemsworth, whose Thor is given a chance to rock some deadpan wit here, and rock it he surprisingly does. Johansson, of course, is gorgeous and ass-kicking as ever in her Black Widow leather, but is happily also given new levels of intriguing backstory at which to hint and play out, and her friend Hawkeye is given somewhat more to do here than he was allowed in Thor, Jeremy Renner's relaxed performance once again worthy of my beloved marksman's bow and arrow. Clark Gregg's mild-mannered Agent Coulson is adorable in his hero worship; meanwhile our main antagonist in this film is Loki, Thor's resentful trickster brother once again played with consummate creepy cool by Tom Hiddleston.

Oh, and hello again Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts! Aren't you funny and great?

Of the newcomers, I will admit to having had some reservations about Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner, as I had been a true devotee of Edward Norton's turn in the role, but I am big enough to admit when I am wrong: he was terrific here as the mousey, mild-mannered science guy with a chip on his shoulder, and the uses to which his Hulk was put throughout the course of this movie have almost entirely changed my mind about his place in the Marvel Universe. It was that good. Elsewhere, How I Met Your Mother's Cobie Smulders, as an agent of S. H. I. E. L. D., did a lot with a little – enough to hope we see more of her lithe and loyal lieutenant character in AVENGERS 2.

Indeed, after a rollicking, outrageous, hilarious outing like this one, who wouldn't already be eagerly awaiting a sequel? It is, unequivocally, the best comic book movie I have ever seen (and I've seen, well, all of them). More than that, it is my favorite movie so far this year – whew! I was so hoping BATTLESHIP wouldn't continue to hold that title for too much longer – and one I cannot wait to see again.

Avengers assemble, they say? Audience assemble, I say! And assemble, and assemble, and assemble again…

(And make sure you stay through the credits for the now-expected next-movie teaser… Buffy and Angel fans will be particularly happy, even if they don't quite get the somewhat obscure comic-y reference…)

-- This review first appeared in Geek Speak Magazine - www.geekspeakmagazine.com