IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 27 of 165: [Prev][22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [Next]

Good but not great

Author: Beous Lau from Malaysia
25 May 2013

First of all, this is a good film. I watched it twice but it doesn't really make me think it's a good film. I watched it for the second time because I totally forgot how the movie was after a few months.

Many of my friends who have always been Marvel fans insists it's an awesome film. Yeah, of course, this movie has all the superheroes you worshiped in it. But you know what? Because they are all together, I couldn't really see the performance of each single hero.

As a conclusion, it's neither a bad movie or a great one. It's kind of at the 6-7 range. If you're a loyal fan, you may probably like it. Pure actions, not much drama. Just watch 'em fight.

overrated but not bad.

Author: danzogreen from Edmonton, Canada
31 January 2013

I have seen the avengers 3 times now and ever since the first time i watched the movie i felt that even though it was enjoyable there was something about the movie that just kept it from being a masterpiece to me.

First I will point out the good things about this movie. The characters are very dynamic and well developed and some of the best conflict in the movie is between the hero's rather than the villain. Another thing is that this movie has well done humor that doesn't seem out of place.

Now onto my issues with the movie of which there are 3 and I'll start with the smaller ones. First off, no spider-man which is kind of ridiculous because spider-man is one of the main avengers but that is forgivable. The second issue is the fact that they never give a good explanation for why Bruce Banner can all of the sudden control his powers. Finally Here is the big issue with the movie, there is no moment in the movie where the hero's are actually in trouble by that i mean no matter how bad things got there was never a huge struggle and the hero's had everything under control. In fact the final battle was far too easy. They were facing an entire alien army for goodness sake but they never seemed overwhelmed.

Overall a pretty good super hero movie but falls short of the higher realm of superhero movies like the Dark knight, Iron man, Spider-man 2 and Watchmen.

One of the best comic book movies and a most anticipated film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
31 December 2012

After "The Hunger Games" and "John Carter", I was fully anticipated to see this movie and I saw it in the opening weekend. The first time I watched it, it wasn't that bad, but my second viewing made it even much better than I expected and I extremely love this comic-book movie. Although, there is one flaw that I do have with this movie and is that while some of the humor made me laugh, there are some that are too cheesy.

With that flaw aside, everything else turned out great. The story is great and I loved the concept about our favorite marvel superheroes from the movies teaming up with each other; the writing is also pretty good. The characters are great, too. Samuel L. Jackson did a nice job as Nick Fury, the guy who appeared in Iron Man I and II, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger. Robert Downey Jr. is as stellar as ever as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Chris Evans once again did a brilliant job as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth never fails to amuse me as the mighty god of thunder, Thor, and Scarlett Johanson did great as Natasha Romanov as did Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk. What stands out the most about the acting is the chemistry and it was enjoyable watching our favorite superheroes talk to one another.

The villain is great too and Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston, is a nice addition and his screen presence was dark and menacing and his connection to the Tesseract and the evil force known as the Chitauri was well thought out. It also has some great action moments and it's two hour length moves along very nicely. The direction from Joss Whedon is brilliant and builds a lot of tense while building a great atmosphere to the entire film. The music from Alan Silvestri is terrific with an epic theme song and fits well with the exciting moments in the movie. The cinematography is great and the scenery is beautiful.

Overall, The Avengers is by no means one of the best comic-book movies of the year and a much anticipated one at that. With a sequel already in production, I can't wait to see it! I recommend this to die-hard Marvel comic fans and to those who haven't seen it yet.

Cant say i'm surprised...

Author: Ben Corcoran from United Kingdom
30 December 2012

OK went into the cinema in April, ready to give this film a fair chance. Of course i knew what to expect and as usual, i wasn't disappointed. Not that that's good for the film. After watching it i then began to hear almost everybody say it was the best film in the world. Well that a Huge claim. Well TBH it doesn't have any of the qualities of "Best film ever made" in it. Story was at best flawed, some characters i would go as far to say as boring and the Special FX were just a cover up, blinding viewers from the truth, its not a great film. And then there's the villain. Weak.

But it's not all bad, i thought it was funny and if your a fan of everything exploding then it is good for a quick thrill. Thought Nick Fury, Iron Man and Bruce Banner were good characters.

I think the Kindest thing i can say about this movie is that it is Average. But like Avatar it is Hugely overrated, I'm afraid its another example of FX covering a mediocre story. Fun to watch but not the best film ever made. (By some way)

Avengers Who?

Author: Brittany-Jurczyk
18 November 2012

The Avengers was a fantastic movie bringing all the Marvel movies together seamlessly. This is what I may have said if I'd ever seen or read anything Marvel in my life. Now, I realize this isn't the movie or producers fault, I'm just speaking for myself who happens to be utterly ignorant and oblivious to the world of comics in general. To start out the movie, I was happily surprised to think I was following the movie without any background knowledge. Suddenly I came to the realization that I was mistaken, being thrown into some sort of futuristic space ship setting. I was continuously introduced to new characters that didn't have character development as I was expected to be read up on that information before hand. The importance of the characters and their role in the movie tended to be a roller coaster ride. At the beginning, Scarlett Johansson grabbed my attention and stole the movie with everything she had to offer to the action side of the movie. She even took on 3 men without a blink. Somewhere along the line she ends up standing in the shadows without much to offer until the ending scenes. Chris Hemsworth's role in the film seems lost to me as well. The back and forth between helping Loci and wanting to take him down seems almost as if he's lost on which side to take. This was distracting to me. As a whole, the characters were interesting, however didn't exactly connect the story well. By the middle of the movie it dawned on me that it was becoming more and more predictable. From what I've gathered, no super hero movie has ended in the super hero's loss. Loci shows no sign of changing his ways from "evil" thus, the outcome become inevitable no matter what Loci throws the Avengers way. From that point on, every conversation of confusion between the characters and talk of what the next step will be to take seems pointless. The wondering and guessing games could have been done without as far as I'm concerned. The ending of the movie seemed to be too far fetched and far too drawn out to be enjoyable. Plausibly, they all should've died before the Hulk came around. The way the creatures were destroying buildings, it was hard to accept the fact that, even with super powers, they were destroying them one by one. The setting of this battle was also a little out of reach. Showing everyone walk away unharmed and guarded by the NYPD is beyond realistic given what the other creatures were capable of. None of the pedestrians seemed to even be worried about the danger in the aftermath, only thankfulness and gratitude for those who saved them. Is that how it would really happen? I surely wouldn't think so. As for the meaning and the plot line revolving around the Tesseract, I couldn't even being to explain that to someone. The power it holds and the large question "why" it holds the power it holds still confuses me. The knowledge needed for this movie before going into it seems to outweigh watching the film out of pleasure. While I understood the concept of the movie and could still gather main points, I believe that it reached out to more of the large Marvel fans that have been following for years, or decades. This movie was slightly disappointing, but what do I know, I'm still asking the question, Avenger who?

Wonderful, Amazing, Thrilling

Author: abetorres83 from United States
12 November 2012

The Phenomenal Avengers

Today I watched "The Avengers" for the first time. The movie itself, I believe was very well put together. Not knowing who each character is and not seeing each one of their movies to get their background. The movie was well put together, that I understood what role each one played. With the original cast of each character are in this movie, except they did not use the original actor for the Hulk which is what I was familiar with but the part was very well portrayed by Mark Raffalo . The Hulk character keeps the viewers on edge, wondering what or when will he release the rage of The Hulk.

The movie starts with that main villain Loky, god of mischief, planning one of his ultimate plans of taking over the world. The original actor, Tom Hiddleston, from the movie " Thor" plays an amazing part both dark and evil. Capturing all the characteristics of a grand villain, comes to life in the amazing film and Hiddleston plays the part to perfection. Other characters in this film include the fantastic performance of Chris Evans as Captain America. With his honor and loyal traits this character is incredibly brought to the screens with a perfect actor that does its great justice.

All the characters in this film are portrayed wonderfully to bring this fantasy film to life. This movie also shows the truth of a community in a tragedy. When all hope is lost in the movie each character mad at each other in regular life come together to get through the hard times and defeat the powerful Loki. This is film each actor feeds each other in this film that all the scenes connect perfectly and even if you have not seen all the individual movies of all the characters one by one. The film is still pretty easy to follow and to catch up on each one and the part they play. All and all I would like to say that Joss Whedon did an amazing job on creating each character and I hope there is more to come. Two thumbs up in my book….ART

The Avengers

Author: baileesoftball2 from United States
12 November 2012

Marvel's The Avengers is a 2012 American superhero film produced by Marvel Studios. The beginning of the movie focuses on the re-building of the Avengers team. In The Avengers, Nick Fury, director of the peacekeeping organization S.H.I.E.L.D., recruits Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and Thor to form a team that must stop Thor's adoptive brother Loki from overpowering Earth. Loki, with his long and flowing hair, had teamed up with the alien race. Together they tried to steal the Tesseract, which, in turn, could destroy the world. Captain America was the first to be introduced. He started in World War II and was awoken in 2011.He was the first member of the Avengers team. Each member of the team had a unique characteristic. The Hulk had enormous strength, Captain America in bravery, Iron Man's had ability to fly, Thor's unbearable hammer, Black Widow in sexiness, and Hawkeye's unbeatable arrows. The biggest challenge happened in the beginning of the movie, when the Avengers had to face each other. The argument of how to approach Loki turned the members away from each other. Whedon, the director, forced his heroes against one another to get them to bond. This movie was mainly classified as action and adventure.

The Hulk played a huge role in the making of this film. Having lived his life previously to fighting and not having the ability to control his body, he moved to India. With the thought that he would be able to live a "normal" life, Bruce Banner was happy with his decision. Unfortunately, the Avengers needed him to become the Hulk again. Now not only does he have to deal with his anger management problem, but also with depression and self-hatred. Overall, the movie was well put together. Between the graphics and the 3-D realization, one would feel to play a part in this movie. Although the 220 million dollar film had a plot line that will leave viewers breathless, it could also be confusing to others. Since it is a continuation, some people who haven't seen the previous five movies or know the storyline of the Avengers could get lost. However, Whedon does an excellent job at trying to catch new viewers up. Will the Avengers recover from lost time and defeat Loki, or will the Earth be destroyed? From the comic books to live film, The Avengers is an excellent movie for all ages.

great movie!

Author: Clint Hanes from Penrose Colorado
7 November 2012

this movie, my favorite! i am glad that Spider-man isn't in it, my favorites are Hulk and Iron Man. the special effects are cool, and it's a never-before seen movie! THE AVENGERS rocks! Thor is the one that really takes action, Captain America is there leader, Iron Man try's his best to avenge, Hulk and Hawkeye are making things all blown up, and Black Widow is shooting and hitting, this is one good movie! do watch it if you want a good movie. i also say it's the "big, huge, fantastic, cool blast of the year!" now would be a good time to go to the theater and enjoy. THE AVENGERS includes cool powers, special effects, and it's a big blast!

Crash bang wallop

Author: davek28 from Birmingham, UK
16 October 2012

I don't usually comment on a film for which I'm completely neutral, but this film deserves a neutral comment as it's such a waste of time and money. It exhibits the typical American obsession with violence and little or no character development. After fast-forwarding through all the crash bang wallop scenes and still keeping track of the plot, I still didn't care what happened to anyone, including the planet.

Scarlet Johansson is completely miscast as the Black Widow. She should be tall and willowy. Mark Ruffalo is perfectly cast as the Hulk as it suits his style of acting, which is usually dumb.

I really am a fan of Joss Whedon and own the entire Buffy collection, but I counted two - maybe three - snappy lines of dialogue in this. Very disappointing.

I was going to give it 5 out of 10 but decided it deserved 6 towards the end - barely. Just too corny for words and silly in the extreme.

The Avengers - Your character defines your point of view.

Author: Zach Dalakas from Greece
27 September 2012

Living in a world of more than 7 billion people, one must consider this as a critical fact, without trying to counter-argue for any reason whatsoever: the diversity in opinions can be unimaginably huge.

And what is the reason for this? What are the main variables that are to be held responsible for someone's opinions? Well, there is the environment we grow up & live in, for two big ones, with all their subcategories, like the people that surround us and their beliefs of any kind. If you grow up, for example, in a family that values honesty, they'll probably push you into becoming an honest being. If you grow up in a family that enjoys watching comedies in their free time, you'll probably grow a "thing" for comedies later on in your life - no matter how attracted you may become to other genres of movies, a comedy will always be something you enjoy for various reasons, the remembrance of your happy family moments for one.

Let's say you're a fan of Sci-Fi movies. You most likely grew up watching such and you've definitely been taken your breath away by certain "classics", as we call them nowadays, that left you with some kind of a mental mark about how awesome they were. Alien, for instance. A totally breath-taking Horror film, a masterpiece for it's kind, it's era.

So, to my point: It is wrong to compare any new film to the one that let you breathless. I mean, feel free to judge that what you just watched is better or worse, but you can't direct a whole review to why a movie "rocked your world" or "totaly sucked" based on your mental mark about your favorite movie and it's perfect, to you, characteristics, specifications & moments. Of course, there are reasons and places to do so, if for example there is an award to be given between two or more, but nothing more or less.

I did enjoy The Avengers. I did enjoy the cast. I believe that Robert Downey Jr. acts in a very stylish, awesome for me way, that I might have enjoyed the movie only because I like him as Iron Man. Mark Ruffalo and Christ Hemsworth are very amusing to watch as well, their impersonations of The Hulk and Thor being incredibly amazing. Overally the cast fit their roles well-enough to create an enjoyable, rocking atmosphere that will hold you tight in place until the very end.

There were plenty of moments where I was slightly disappointed, like the extreme damage and conditions that Iron Man's suit could sustain - the movie could have been better at certain points like these, but the overall experience compensated. Hey!, it's based on hardcore comic books after all, and director's Joss Whedon great attention to it's making is clearly noticeable, if you've read the comics.

The movie was worth my time, and I give it a seven out of ten. I've seen a couple of better Action Sci-Fi movies, matter of personal preference, and there always must be place for even better ones, since human capabilities can't be imagined. Thus, a seven from me to The Avengers, makes this Action Sci-Fi a must-see to those that agree with me. An outstanding production.