IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 24 of 175: [Prev][19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [Next]

"The Avengers" is finally here... There is no other way to say it: This film is AWESOME!

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
7 May 2012

For the past four years, Marvel Studios has been building a cinematic mythology based on their comic books, for the first time combining different franchises into a single canonical movie-universe. Starting in 2008 with "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk", to 2010's "Iron Man 2" and finally last year's "Thor" and "Captain America", there have been five films building in anticipation to this result- the ultimate crossover experience. In addition to those four heroes, we are also given Black Widow, Hawkeye and Nick Fury, bringing our team of heroes to about seven. (Although Fury isn't a direct player, so I suppose the team stands at six)

This movie had a lot to live up to.

It succeeded. By god, this was an awesome movie!

Directed and co-written by Joss Whedon, 2012's "The Avengers" is perfect payoff for fans who have been anticipating this film for over four years now.

Beginning with Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) arriving at a SHIELD HQ, the Tesseract (the Asgard artifact used by Red Skull in last year's "Captain America), which has been under lock-down for testing, opens a portal, allowing Loki (Tom Hiddleston) the outcast brother of Thor to arrive on Earth. He steals the Tesseract and uses his powers to brainwash several SHIELD members (including Hawkeye, portrayed by Jeremy Renner). It is revealed that Loki needs to the Tesseract to open a portal to allow an alien race to invade and conquer Earth.

Realizing they are in over their heads, Fury calls out to unite the three Earthly heroes- Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Bruce Banner/Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans). After the team apprehends Loki, his brother Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is sent back to Earth, completing our team.

When Loki escapes and is finally able to open the portal, the four heroes (joined by Scarlet Johansson as Black Widow and a redeemed Hawkeye) must band together, despite their differences, to defend the world in an ultimate battle.

The acting in this film is outstanding. This really begins with our four leads. There is no need to speak about Downey, he continues to play the role to perfection. Hemsworth and Evans also are given a lot of good material to work with. In particular Evans, who gives the character of Steve Rogers subtle pain and pathos this time around despite having to be strong. But the real revelation is Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. I thought both Eric Bana and Edward Norton had given fine, first-class performances. Particularly Norton, who really made the role his own in a big way. But Ruffalo surprisingly blows them both out of the water. He makes the role of Bruce Banner (and the Hulk thanks to motion-capture technology) his own, giving him humor and an incredible depth. Ruffalo is OWED his own Hulk movie now.

In addition the supporting performances are incredible. The gorgeous Johansson is given a lot more to do in this film, and she breaths a great life into Black Widow. To be honest, Black Widow was at times more compelling than our four leads, and Johansson proves once again to be a phenomenal actress. Clark Gregg reprises his "Iron Man" and "Thor" role as SHIELD agent Phil Coulson, and provides some great comedic moments, in addition to being the shady government type. Hiddleston is menacing and dark as Loki. Stellan Skarsgard and Gwenyth Paltrow return in small roles as Erik Selvig and Pepper Potts, and although their scenes are minor, both ground the film emotionally. The only slight problem I had was with Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. I will say, he gave a fine performance, but his role seemed... somewhat underwritten in comparison with everyone else. He felt a little too expendable a character and shoe-horned in. But Renner was still good in the role.

The script by Whedon (from a story he co-wrote with Zak Penn) is tight, concise and an absolute blast. There is a lot of humor (and I do mean a lot) and a ton of action, although it never feels forced, contrived or unneeded. As fantastical as the story is, it is grounded in it's own sort of reality and logic, and feels natural. This is an extremely well-written, fun and generally light-hearted film.

The visuals are a blast. Whedon's direction and camera placement is fun, kinetic and serves as a good companion piece to the other four directors who had previously helmed the individual films. The effects are outstanding. The sound design is great. The score by Alan Silvestri is fun and memorable.

This is just a competently made film, and a darned-fine piece of entertainment!

I will say that this isn't necessarily the best film in the series (I think the first "Iron Man" felt a tad more fresh and unique), but this is still an absolute blast, and you cannot afford to miss it on the big screen!

I give "The Avengers" a near-perfect 9 out of 10! Assemble in line at the cinema and see it, now!

THE AVENGERS (9.5 out of 10)

Author: Mike Munky Coatez from Melbourne, Australia
1 May 2012

As AWESOME as expected. An immense lineup/casting, decent story and visuals that put Transformers blur to shame. Iron Man does take a fair chunk of the limelight, as expected (It felt like this was his third film, before that has even been released) but the others do get their fair share and have great entrances.

Oh..the movie is very funny!! Iron man starts off initially, but Hulk sees to it, that he gets the last laugh.. and his latter scenes do dominate the tail end (Mark Ruffalo does a pretty decent job) Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye (seen briefly in Thor) makes Oliver's Green Arrow from DC, look pathetic. This movie along with his role in Mission Impossible 4 is definitely a precursor to his taking over the role as Bourne, and he's pumping up for that too.

Speaking of the muscles in the film. "Cap" appears to have lost weight?? Chris Evans must not be working out as much, but Thor seems to have taken over in the gym as he's even bigger. Hulk is obviously the biggest but thats what CGI does for you.. Oh, and Iron Man appears bulkier?? like his suit needs to compete??! Scarlett Johannsson's ass get's a cameo in this film, I wonder how she felt about the camera's angle in all the 3D glory in one scene..

Another new member to the cast, and good to see another Avenger's regular ~ Agent "Maria Hill" appears, played by a very fit looking Cobie Smulders (Robin from "How I met your mother" fame) She gets a fair chunk of the movie and action herself. Stellan Skarsgaard returns from Thor along with the villain most would have seen in the trailer, Loki. Potts & Coulson cameo.

The "one on one" battles of many of the heroes is a sight to behold and are really a delight to watch. You get to see them throw everything at each other as you see them match up their strengths and their weaknesses. Also watch for the Cap / Iron Man combo towards the end of the film, memories from the past! Loved the film. Will no doubt be seeing it again.. Check it out!

Take note....fan boys CAN make decent films

Author: jrwilson7 from Australia
27 April 2012

Everybody take note! The superhero film genre has just been ramped up a gear or two, in fact, someone has rammed the throttle into overdrive and that someone is Joss Whedon.

For those of you who don't know who this man is, he's been around a while, but not as famous as other directors. First and foremost, he is a writer. We have him to thank for films like Toy Story, Titan A.E., Atlantis and Alien Resurrection. He is also the writing and directing genius behind TV shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dollhouse and the short lived Firefy (among others) and he is no stranger to directing big action movies. He helmed the Firefly spin off movie, Serenity. But, this is Whedon's first big feature film, it's also his first blockbuster and there is a lot riding on the success of this film.

The Avengers is a long time coming. There have been numerous directors attached to it, a number of scripts, and of course, six other films preceding it (I am including the original Hulk). Making it work has been no easy task. Each character has their own successful film franchise (Thor 2 and Captain America 2 and Iron Man 3 are due out in the next two years) with plots, subplots and narratives that have loosely been tied together with short end-of-credits scenes involving Nick Fury and the Avengers Initiative.

In the first issue of the comic , the team are assembled to fight Thor's brother Loki who has used his power of illusion to persuade the Hulk onto a part of destruction. Whedon has used these elements as his inspiration to create a strong script and storyline that successfully pulls together some of cinemas biggest personalities (and egos) and not only develops their characters further but broadens their appeal.

The story is over the top, but not enough that you find yourself scoffing. The reality is that you need to suspend disbelief when dealing with characters from other worlds, aliens and magic! And considering the source material lends itself to be over the top anyway, the beauty in Whedon's script is that it never once takes itself seriously. (SPOILER) Even when S.H.E.I.L.D.S super-sized aircraft carrier turns into a flying invisible fortress, Nick Fury states, "Let's dance" as reflectors cover the ships surface much like a mirror-ball, rendering it completely invisible to the naked eye! Over the top? Hell Yes! The first act sees the assembly of the Avengers. The Cap and Bruce Banner are asked to find Loki and the Tesseract he has stolen from Shield. Later Thor and Iron Man join the team with Hawkeye and Black Widow. What works well is that when the four superheroes and superegos come together, each thinks they will save the day, but as their egos compete against one another for attention, the typical alpha-male muchoness comes to the fore, causing disunity and damage – a lot of damage!

It is not until part the way through the second act that the team pulls together for the greater good, which is to save humanity from total destruction at the hand of Loki and his alien army.

The script is what makes this film and is proof that studios should trust "fan boys" with comic book adaptions. Whedon has used his extensive knowledge and passion to write a story that is appealing to all audiences while combining what we love from the original films. There are plenty of references to the "prequels" and the character traits each has developed and bring with them and for the fans, easter egg references to the comics to satiate their appetite. It is film is funny. Very funny. The Hulk almost steals the show (spoiler) when he throws Loki around like a ragdoll during his "I am a God" speech, but each character gets a few choice lines that will surely become part of our vernacular.

At times I thought I was in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, considering the scale and grandeur of the film's final act – the near destruction of New York. Although there are hallmarks to DOTM, Avengers is nothing like it, in fact, Whedon proves he is the better director by piecing together huge battle sequences, action, explosions, while ensuring that each character has plenty of screen time that not only makes sense, but doesn't get lost in the enormity and scale of it all.

The production flawlessly merges CGI and live action together, but the 3D conversion leaves little to be desired. Considering the success of Tron Legacy, I am surprised Disney (who owns Marvel) didn't pull out all the stops and have it filmed in 3D.

I have long appreciated Whedon's film making abilities and here he channels the work he made famous in Serenity, those fast zoom shots of ships exploding are used here, but not overdone. He also shoots action from interesting and random angles often panning through the back of destroyed cars and broken windows and styling shots that replicate comic book frames, which many fans will appreciate, but most will miss.

The Avengers proves that comic book adaptions can work in the right hands and that screenwriters and directors need to have some understanding of what they are working with.

This is the BEST comic book – SUPERHERO – film I have seen and is the mark by which all future films will be judged by.

Mostly entertaining popcorn-flick with amazing action; not much else

Author: #1 Movie Lover
2 August 2012

'The Avengers', first of all, is a good movie. While sometimes overlong, it's entertaining, and the action scenes are amazing. However, it doesn't have enough depth to be another one of those "classic superhero films". The reputation instead should be "enjoyable superhero flick". First off, if an effort is made to assemble all of MARVEL's Avengers, that effort must be made with a little more success than this.

'The Avengers' ends up feeling like more sequel than spin-off, instead of studying and developing each character. If we're supposed to care about all these superheroes...give them noticeable differences, more display of emotions, and a distinctive background. Just because they're superheroes who have some funny one-liners doesn't mean the viewers will automatically think they're the best people who ever lived. In other words, the characters have too little depth. Something that bugs me is that a few people have been saying this is better than Christopher Nolan's "Batman" trilogy, yet the latter is a perfect example of a series of films that have greatly influenced (and perhaps even transcended) the superhero genre.

In 'The Dark Knight' there wasn't a single character who was "just there for nothing". Meanwhile, Loki is an uninteresting villain and doesn't hold a candle to Heath Ledger's disturbing, brilliant portrayal of The Joker (who, on the other hand, actually seems like a villain even when he's just not doing anything). How come 'The Avengers' all have to work to defeat Loki and his army, while Hulk can simply toss him around like a plastic spoon? That said, the long action sequence where the assembled Avengers all defeat Loki's army is quite outstanding, and many detractors of this film admit that this is also the best part.

It contains amazing cinematography, like a minute-long shot that steadily observes each Avenger and sees how they're doing with the aliens. Of course, the rest of the action scenes are also top-notch, considering there's fighting for most of the movie. The sequence with Black Widow running away from The Hulk is especially memorable, and displays arguably the most likable Avenger here, along with Iron Man. The two that we care the most about.

Overall, I'd say that 'The Avengers' could have been cut about 20-30 minutes short to flow more as a superhero film. I had hoped for more character development, since there were so many characters to pay attention to. I loved the action, and was pleased with the clever action scenes, especially the last 40 minutes and the parts with Black Widow. It's undeniably entertaining, and while it's not transcendent and genius, it's a great popcorn-flick. Would I see it again? Yes, but not my #1 priority.

Not just the best superhero movie ever, but one of the best movies ever

Author: wildandcrazguy1 from United States
3 July 2012

I saw this movie at a midnight show. I had been looking forward to this movie for years and I was so pumped for it. After it was over, I feel like my mind exploded from the pure awesomeness and amazement that this film brought. Up until I saw this movie, "The Dark Knight" was my favorite superhero movie, but "The Avengers" beat it. How can you expect less from a movie that has Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor in it? It was the perfect blend of drama, action and comedy. Joss Whedon did what, in my opinion, no other director could have done. The pressure and hype surrounding this movie was immense and it delivered in every way. "The Avengers" is the type of movie that EVERYONE can enjoy, not just comic book fans.

Words cannot describe how good this movie is!! A MUST SEE

Author: denis o riordan from Ireland-cork
26 April 2012

I have to say this movie was out of this world. Exactly what any big fan of comics or of all the marvel movies wanted. There was just enough of every character involved. I know a large debate can be had on the characters not being like they are in the comics or the plots being different but behind it all they cant just make a really long boring movie with every detail involved!! Its definitely not a movie for the person who doesn't like the previous movies. The acting of Robert Downey Jr was brilliant and the addition of the new hulk Mark Ruffalo was even better. It could been debated that Ed Norton would of been better but if you ask me personally the new hulk was outstanding! The movie experience in 3D was also very good. I am not a huge fan of 3D movies from the past, but after watching the avengers, marvel did a great job in all the action scenes where they took full use of the 3D effects. Over all its a must see action/adventure movie. 10/10

The Avengers Realistic grown-up review®: Nice, but meh

Author: hanskfroschauer
20 August 2012

Reading the other reviews, it seems everyone is quite excited about this movie. Let me start by saying that yes, it's awesome to look at, it's cool to have all those characters together on screen, and the movie definitely doesn't lack action.

The reason I'm not giving 8+ stars is the story – or lack thereof. Considering that Joss Whedon wrote this, I have to say I'm quite disappointed by the result. The movie was predictable right from the start, and in spite of the abundance of action-sequences, failed to really catch my attention.

I'm not saying this is a waste of time, but considering the majority of reviews here on IMDb, I just wanted to add my grain of salt for those pondering what to watch this evening. Feel free to like (pronouncing it helpful, I think?) this review, if you agree.

Everything you would want to see..

Author: miltong from India
27 April 2012

They spend money to make a film you would enjoy. You pay money to see a movie and enjoy. This is a movie where every penny spend by the producers and the consumers is worth spend. Movies with so many superheroes are 90% of the time destined to be a chaos. Yes there is chaos, but its not the movie but in the heart of Manhattan which is the battleground.

Awesome dialogues, rightly timed humor and incredible action. You wouldn't have time to chew your popcorn. People who have come to IMDb to check for reviews, just don't spend time here...get a ticket now.

Watch it in 3D. The movie is made for it.

The most Amazing superhero movie ever made!!!

Author: berdanju
20 April 2012

Marvel has accomplished gathering and teaming up some of the greatest superheroes on the big screen for the first time. Josh Whedon is proved to be one of the best directors for me since this awesome movie has no flaws at all. The acting from all the characters is great and the movie is being unwrapped flawlessly.This movie contains some of the most amazing action sequences in the history of cinema. I am really happy for being able to watch this piece of art,which I am sure will remain for ever in my memory.

For all Marvel fans and non-fans this is an extremely recommended movie to watch.

For this amazing movie my rating is 10/10!!

Best Super-Hero Movie EVER!!!

Author: luispintu2 from Portugal

I can only say this:

If you simply know the characters... Or have a profound knowledge in comics... Or simply like the fantastic type... THIS IS THE MOVIE FOR YOU!!!

I felt like a teenage watching this excellent movie. It has a lot of fun, action scenes, an excellent plot and all the characters have their minutes to shine. They are all as we know them from the comics and the movies.

A must to all comics lovers!!!

Going to see it for the second time today! Hope all enjoy it as i did, and believe me i'm on countdown for the second already :).