IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 21 of 158: [Prev][16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [Next]

So much better than the winter soldier!

Author: Kate Bush from United States
15 April 2014

People think that the Winter Soldier is better than the Avengers. So what? I do and always will think that the Avengers is the best superhero movie of all time. I watch it over and over again, but I never ever get tired of it! This movie is absolutely one of the best, especially with Robert Downey Jr. He makes it seem that this movie is a comedy! I laughed so hard the first time that I almost cried. I especially liked it when Dr. Banner turned into Hulk and was shot by an airplane. The bullets didn't do anything, and the pilot kept saying, "Target angry!" I also laughed when Hulk went flying off the airplane. Thor was so dramatic, but I could totally see where he was coming from. You kind of want to throw a hissy fit when your own brother is trying to destroy Earth. Wow, the fighting scene was actually interesting and had a point to it, unlike the Winter Soldier. I explained that in my review for the Winter Soldier. Definitely not as good as the Avengers. If you have not seen this movie, watch it right now!

It's not the script that makes this movie great... but it's great nonetheless

Author: Veense Peper from Netherlands
14 April 2014

The Avengers is a great movie, but not due to its plot. It's a simple MacGuffin chase, culminating in a random big fight. Also, the editing felt unfinished from time to time.

Nevertheless... it's not the plot that is supposed to make the Avengers a great movie. It's the fact that it brings stories and characters from other movies together. In a way, the Avengers is the finale of a bigger whole.

The lack of plot gives the opportunity to zoom into the different characters and how they respond to each other. We learn how Bruce Banner and Tony Stark connect. We see how The Hulk and Thor have a measurement of strength. How the straight morals of Captain America conflicts with the happy go lucky attitude of Iron Man.

We also get a closer look at SHIELD and we learn that the agency has its moral questionabilities. When we move beyond the Avengers, we learn how that is so in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

The choice for Loki to be the main villain connects to the firs Avengers comic. And in many other ways as well , the movie pays its respect to the comics - as we're used to in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The Avengers movie is a mile stone in the MCU, and yes, its greatest merit is being the Avengers movie.

It's not the plot that makes this movie great. It's the fact that it's the pay-off for earlier established characters and stories, and laying the ground work for more great stuff to come.

Fast Paced With an Incredible Cast

Author: Cs_The_Moment from United Kingdom
12 April 2014

The Avengers is an action-packed, superhero-filled film that focuses on the peace-keeping S.H.I.E.L.D agency, bringing together Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) to create the Avengers. When Earth is threatened by Thor's brother Loki the Avengers must unite to save the planet from catastrophe.

Full of impressive visuals and action in nearly every scene, this film is fast paced and exciting throughout with plenty to keep you guessing. The final battle is epic in every sense: impressive CGI mixes with the New York skyline as the Avengers lead the fight against evil in a thrilling chase across the city. The story itself pulls in elements from each of the individual Avenger's stories, in particular Iron Man (2008), Thor (2011) and Captain America (2011) (I may be slightly biased in saying this as they are my favourite Avengers so I notice the references more) and I'd highly recommend watching the individual films, although they are not a necessary prerequisite.

The casting is first class. Each character is a contrast to the next; Downey Jr as the egotistical genius Iron Man; Evans as the charming and heroic old-fashioned Captain America; Hemsworth as the tough, brave demi-god Thor; Johansson as the smart, feisty Black Widow; Ruffalo as the quiet but unstoppable Hulk; and Renner as the quick, deadly Hawkeye. What really makes this story is how all of these characters learn to use each other's strengths as the plot unfolds, and each is as important to the team as the next when it comes to the crunch. Tom Hiddleston is deviously wicked as Loki, delivering an impressively smooth and convincing performance as the enemy of the story. Samuel L Jackson brings his usual mysterious Nick Fury, providing many unexpected laughs from the delivery of his character's one-liners. Fans of other Marvel work will recognise supporting characters played by the likes of Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders, Stellan Skarsgard and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Avengers Assemble is yet another example of the great work that Marvel can produce, with a fast paced and exciting story that encompasses their best characters. Definitely one to watch, and if you haven't already seen some of the individual character's films this film will probably make you want more! There's only one question that plagues me when I watch this film: would I want to be saved from near death by Iron Man or Captain America? Having seen the incredible new Captain America: The Winter Soldier recently (which I can't recommend highly enough) I'm going with the Captain for now!

Brilliant film

Author: xboxelitegames
11 April 2014

I love the way Marvel have brought Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor together. The plot is brilliant and I especially like the 'Battle of New York' scene where Hawkeye, Black Widow, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor fight against Loki and Thanos' armies in the middle of New York outside Stark Tower as it is full of action. I also like the way although it is an action film there are aspects of a comedy film in it as I found some parts of the film funny. It is one of the best films that I have ever seen and I really enjoyed watching it! Overall it is an exceptionally brilliant film that I would strongly recommend!

Best Superhero Movie.

Author: danielwbeggs from United Kingdom
10 April 2014

I'm writing this review in response to a lot of the backlash that seems to be happening in the reviews. Despite being the third highest grossing movie of all time, receiving critical acclaim and being in the IMDb Top 250, people in the reviews have been slamming this movie. Why? Not Dark and Gritting Enough? I Loved the Dark Knight but not every movie has to follow that formula (see Amazing Spider-Man, Man Of Steel). No one said this movie was The Godfather or Citizen Kane, because it doesn't have to be! All it has to do is entertain, and it does that in bucketloads. I remember leaving the theater and already I Couldn't wait for the second one. Joss Whedon is one of the greatest writers in the industry (see Buffy, Firefly etc.) and knows his comics (see his run on Astonishing X- Men and Runaways) making him the perfect choice for this movie. It has action and humor and all you could want from a blockbuster movie. Granted, it looks better on the Big Screen, in which case this review is too late, but none the less, if you're a fan of blockbuster movies this is the cream of the crop. If you aren't then be smart enough not to go see it.

Great Movie

Author: kanyst from Romania
30 March 2014

The Avengers is one of the best action films that I have ever seen. The idea that some of the great Marvel superhero to fight together against evil, I seemed brilliant since I heard of it. Interesting effects, very well located, a perfect combination and as a bonus, very realistic. The action is great, all fighting united against the ultimate evil, Loki. Although I wanted to see someone else in the role of antagonist. Besides that we have some superb action film contains some scenes with some humor in it, which brings a +. The locations chosen for the film are absolutely wonderful, idea of movie is great, the whole movie is amazing. Overall, I think that it is a great film that I highly recommend.

Top-notch action movie extravaganza

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
28 March 2014

In Joss Whedon's "The Avengers," three Marvel Comics superheroes - Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans) and The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) - are recruited by S.H.I.E.L.D. to do battle against Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the brother of Thor (Chris Hemsworth), who has come to Earth with an alien army to claim the world for his own. But can three such distinctly talented yet strong-willed individuals put aside their differences and egos long enough to function as a team - as the Avengers - to save the planet?

There's no question that gathering three classic superheroes into a single film was a stroke of marketing genius, as well as a considerable treat for fans. The movie itself is lively, loud, and epic in scale with just enough character delineation to keep us engaged on a human level. Plus, it culminates in a spectacular jamboree of destruction in New York City that turns into a veritable Valhalla for CGI aficionados.

All the above-mentioned actors enter into the spirit of the enterprise, as do Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Clark Gregg, Samuel L. Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Powers Boothe, Jenny Agutter, and Harry Dean Stanton as the pure humans in the cast.

Good fun.

all in one superhero movie

Author: 2karl- from Ireland
25 March 2014

Right all in one superhero movie the waiting is finally over to see all our superheroes in one movie in order to understand the film you have to see all the other film iron man Thor Hulk Captain America hopefully well get a black widow film and Samuel Jackson film of his own and Hawkeye film as well because you have to knew there stories so you wont be catching up to this film firstly about this film is wow getting them all together in one film and the C G I mixed in with live action the start of the film were the shield headquarters holding the power full weapon the that Captain America found in the Artic we if a bad guy got it he could take over the world Loki Thor brother comes looking for it through a portal and this is were the action gets hot knowing the back stories of all the characters is brill so finding them and getting together is a handful as the don't like each other but are forced to work together in order to help the world when the get on the ship that is wow moment of the film which wasn't expecting to happen then the attack of New York is amazing as there is so much battles going on that action going on with all the superheroes doing there thing is epic the evolution of iron man suit is great to watch one hell of a great film cant wait for the follow up stories wait till a few minutes to see the credit roll and see the twist epic film

Best Marvel film yet

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
10 March 2014

This is one of the most anticipated films of all time in my opinion and it totally lives up to all the hype. This is the film that marvel had promised for years with the Avengers prequels The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. While the majority of those films were great fans were worried about this Avengers film being over crowded with their favourite characters. In comes Joss Whedon and this film is being hailed as the greatest comic book film of all time, even though I believe The Dark Knight is slightly better this film was so close to it that it's unreal. The Avengers consists of the characters Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye and each of these characters are given there own moments to shine in this film will fighting returning villain Loki and his alien army. Tom Hiddleston is great as Loki and is one of the best Villains in Comic book history which was needed to bring these personalities together. But in my opinion if you don't like the first 2 hours of the film then the last 20/30 mins will win you over with the craziest team end battle ever with the Hulk being the best he has ever been. This film is epic and is a must see.

The Movie Fans have been waiting for!

Author: ultratron563 from United States
9 March 2014

This is by far my favorite film of all time! I'm a big Comic Book Geek and when I watch this film I felt as if I was reading an amalgamation of the Ultimates and the early 616 Avengers. the cast is excellent, the story is simple but affective. the easter eggs are brilliant and the action is AMAZING!!! It's fun, but not in a stupid way like Michael Bay's Transformers. This is a film that MUST be seen by any person who's a fan of comics, or cartoons, or just wants to watch a fun movie without turning off their brain. Everyone does an amazing job, especially Mark Ruffalo, who I prefer over Edward Norton, and Eric Bana. So if you haven't seen it then GET OFF YOU'RE CHAIR AND SEE IT!!!