IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 21 of 173: [Prev][16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [Next]

Takes itself a bit too seriously

Author: phd_travel from United States
28 July 2012

This is worth at watch but just once. The I wouldn't watch this again. Sure they spent a lot on effects and a grand battle scene at the end but throwing money at a movie doesn't help a weak story.

This screenplay is weak - it is a overlong with has some rather strained dialog between the leads. The weakest thing about the story is why the evil guy wanted to wreak so much havoc without much reason. It just felt a bit contrived and isn't very involving. Don't feel for any of the characters.

There is some wit and humor from Scarlett's deadpan Black Widow and Robert Downey's rather lame one liners.

What happened to the charm of the old action hero movies?

Well done!

Author: Bascoda from United States
26 May 2012

OMG Scarlett Johansson looks good in tight black pants!! OK, enough of that. This is as good a translation of comic book to film as any of us are likely to see - ever. Each of the actors chosen for the roles draws their character on like a glove, and the fit is perfect. This is what separates The Avengers from most other movies in this genre - the characters have depth, their interaction with each other is real and eminently believable, and the willful suspension of disbelief necessary to enjoy this type of movie is so effortless as to be unnoticeable. The CGI effects are spectacular, as is to be expected, and kudos to the designers for some really over-the-top bad guys and hardware. If I have one minor quibble, it is that I wanted more from Colbie Smulders as agent Hill. Her screen presence is so intense that I kept waiting (and wanting) more from her than to just be Samuel Jackson's aide-de-camp. Ah well, maybe next time.

A delight to watch

Author: saku1987 from India
28 April 2012

Well this was certainly a much awaited movie of this summer.I had a lot of expectations from it and it delivered even more.My friend had no knowledge of Avengers and he went out with me.In the end he clapped with the audience

Now about the movie Just one word to explain it its "entertaining".Its a long movie but it kept us stick to our seat.I din't realize when it ends .The strong point of this movie is its humor.Every characters are funny in their own way esp. Tony Stark.Don't want to tell you the story You yourself watch it.Watch it even if you are not a comic man.You will enjoy it

simply put Joss is amazing

Author: nightshift31 from Canada
27 April 2012

I've been part of the Joss verse since (Buffy 1997) - (Dollhouse 2010)

so i had no worries this was going to be good but, i gotta say the he still surprised me.

the avengers is probably the biggest movie of the year considering the scale

my quick review "amazing" all characters were well written the team was well balanced no one member really stood out. the part i think we were all concerned with was hulk he's been F****ed pretty bad in the past (i liked Norton's hulk) and in my opinion hulk was amazing he wasn't over sized and just looked great.

Avengers is a action packed edge of your seat hart thumping masterpiece this is a must see in theaters.

i feel this was Joss Whedons way of showing the people out side of the Joss verse why we love him so.

Well done Joss thank you

It is as good a superhero movie as there can be

Author: Arindam Mondal from India
27 April 2012

Avengers is one hell of an action movie. It is as good a superhero movie as there can be,,,,,, it is an emotional,hilarious(=Robert Downey Jr.), and action packed superhero movie....

As far as acting goes.. its an absolute knockout by all the actors

Robert Downey Jr.----> 10/10(Executed the best lines in the best possible way or should we say his natural way)

Chris Evans----> 8/10

Mark Ruffalo--->10/10(Probably the most cool minded and seemingly not partially mentally impaired,Bruce banners unlike others portrayed)

Chris Hemsworth----> 8/10(good physique yet again, apt for a demigod)

Scarlett Johansson---->9/10(Served Hot and dangerous)

Jeremy Renner---->9/10

Tom Hiddleston---->10/10(It takes some really good acting to portray the god of mischief, really seemed to play with their minds)

Samuel L. Jackson---->10/10(Good as always)

The writing was great with some really good dialogues with punch

Two of the most outstanding scenes of the movie are towards the end, first when Iron Man gets into his new Mach7 IRON MAN suit in a free fall after being thrown down by Loki,

And secondly when Loki was boosting about him being a demigod in front of Hulk who breaks his trash talk & him too, just grabbing him & giving good old bash to the ground("dhobi pachad") to knock him out....(this is a must watch scene)

also is the scene where Hulk stops the first big monster,,,,

OVERALL 10/10(Considering it a Superhero movie, it is the best there is now)

This movie has got style if not anything else.......so this is a must watch movie & if you don't, well you have certainly missed one,,,,,,

What's better than a superhero movie? A movie with six superheroes of course! The Avengers, is a masterpiece!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
27 April 2012

Could anyone imagine that the likes of Iron Man(Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America(Chris Evans), Hulk(Mark Ruffalo), Thor(Chris Hemsworth), Black Widow(Scarlett Johansson), & Hawkeye(Jeremy Renner) would come together for a movie?! Well they do, in The Avengers! The movie opens with a bang, as Loki(Tom Hiddleston) returns to Earth and wreaks havoc at the S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. Loki steals the Tesseract, an energy source of unlimited potential. He puts Professor Erik Selvig(Stellan Skarsgard) & Hawkeye under his control & leaves with them. After the incident at the headquarters, Nick Fury(Samuel L. Jackson) decides that he has to reignite the Avengers Initiative, a project that had been canceled, only recently. In comes Black Widow aka Natasha Romanoff who starts recruiting superheroes to form The Avengers. First, she recruits Bruce Banner aka the Hulk who, until then, had been hiding in Calcutta, India. S.H.I.E.L.D needs Banner to check the potential of the Tesseract. The new recruit is Captain America who had been frozen for quite some time(these events took place in Captain America: The First Avenger) & woke up after being in a deep slumber for seventy years. After that, S.H.I.E.L.D recruits Tony Stark aka Iron Man. Thor joins the gang shortly thereafter. However, before the team can take on Loki, the heroes have to solve their personal issues & cut down their giant egos & work together as a team. Problematic? Yes! Iron Man's sarcasm only seems to worsen the situation. The way he makes fun of the others is hilarious!

First off, I want to say something. The Avengers is the best movie of the year, so far! Be it the story, the superhero vs. superhero battles, or the sheer epic scale of the film. Loki, is the perfect super villain who is, evil & menacing. The 3D effect in this movie is just eye popping! You will literally duck down every ten seconds. The cinematography is brilliant. The way they've shown Calcutta is authentic. The battle in New York City is outstanding! A note on the performances. Robert Downey Jr. is spectacular as Tony Stark/Iron Man. Iron Man is my most favorite character in the film. Chris Evans is impressive as Steve Rogers/Captain America. Mark Ruffalo is outstanding as Bruce Banner/Hulk. Chris Hemsworth is awesome as Thor. Scarlett Johansson is great as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow. Jeremy Renner is effective as Clint Barton/Hawkeye. Tom Hiddleston is simply wicked as Loki. Even though he's the only villain in the movie he's pulled it off superbly. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill & Stellan Skarsgard as Selvig are superb as well. So, grab your 3D glasses, buy some popcorn, sit back & relax as you watch the most entertaining movie in recent times! Don't miss this on the big screen no matter what people! Now, let's see if The Amazing Spider-Man or The Dark Knight Rises top this one. The bar has been set very high though!

Gets you on the edge of you seats!

Author: dadzboi from United Kingdom
3 December 2012

My view on this movie is very simple. This movie is kind of a sequel to other Marvel movies. Avengers is a movie that brings 4 Marvel heroes together and they combine their supernatural powers to defeat the enemy. To get full effect of this movie the viewer must have watched 2-3 of the characters movies separately to get a view of the character and what their powers are. I would recommend this movie to all age groups, its a movie the family will love on a Friday night out. I would also say this film is a 'feel good' film, this is because as the ending of the movie turns out so well, the stress of the dilemma in the movie calms down at the end and leaves a triumph' feeling at the end. This movie would not be recommended to people who don't enjoy a fantasy theme. But it would be recommended to people who understand the powers they have.

My opinion of this movie is that it is one of the best films i have seen,(i've seen a lot of movies) it is also a movie that can be watched over and over again. I don't have complaints about this movie other than its a very fast pace movie. I would recommend you all to see it in 3D or if you've missed it at the movies to buy it and make the most out of it because movies like these, don't come around a lot!!!

Hope I helped, My regards to all, Yash Ahmed

Marvel did a outstanding job on this movie

Author: jaemiewaters from United States
6 May 2012

Marvel did a outstanding job on The Avengers i think you will enjoy this movie full of action this is a outstanding IMAX 3D movie it is a perfect summer film it is the best movie of all times it is a perfect family film i hope you enjoy this number 1 movie of all times this is a must see movie for sure i think you will say wow and lets go see that again but you may want to get your tickets ADV because it has been a Sold Out movie on all of the days it has been out i think you will enjoy this blockbuster hit The Avengers is a must see movie in IMAX 3D or Real D 3D it is a movie that you don't want to miss for sure it is action packed the whole way through the guy who plays the Hulk did a outstanding job same thing with Thor and Iron Man you just have to go see this one of a kind movie that is a hit i never saw a movie this good before in my whole life you just have to watch this amazing film in IMAX 3D If you like Marvel movies than you will enjoy this amazing film movie i like this movie a lot and i hope you enjoy it too

Awesomeness in every way!!!!!!

Author: spideyhenk from Netherlands
28 April 2012

I saw this movie and it blew away my mind. The 2,5 hour sit wasn't long enough, I wanted more!!!!! Mark Ruffalo playing Bruce Banner was best I have seen so far and seeing the Hulk smashing Thor into a building just after a heavy fight against the aliens was pure win and made my eyes tear of laughter! Than Loki saying something and gets interrupted by the Hulk who smashes Loki into the ground afterwards saying "puny god" was another exact replica off the comic book hero I so love and enjoy. Just seeing this in that movie made the movie 8 out of 10. The two extra stars was cause the rest of the movie was just brilliantly put together, with the mayhem, the jokes, the storyline, the depths of most characters! Yes, I know people wanted to see more depths in the storyline, but come on, you got 6 Avengers with all different stories, the villains who have there story, and you need to make a movie that isn't to long to let it stretch to much, but still contain every ingredient to make it a good movie. No, not a good movie, an excellent movie, like a true superhero movie should be. Don't compare this movie to other superhero movies!!! There you only have 1 character and 1 villain to explain and rest is story. Compare this when you saw the previous story lines of the main characters. So watch Iron Man 1 and 2 and The Incredible Hulk (with Edward Norton, not as good as Mark Ruffalo, but you will know the background better for The Avengers) and Thor and Captain America first! You will have enough knowledge to see this movie and rate it excellent. Don't go here to expect a high intelligence movie or rate it with The Dark Knight (who was good, but stand alone and DC comics, not Marvel, different studios, different styles!). Im waiting for The Dark Knight Rises, cause I love those movies as well and the comics and Hulk and Batman are my two out of three most favorite heroes. Sorry Spidey, but your first real good movie has yet to come. This movie was awesome and had everything! Thank you Josh Whedon for displaying the characters as if they were straight out of the comic. Thank you for this joy in my life :)

The Hulk stole the show!! Excellent film!

Author: Jwdjrs from United States
9 July 2012

When I saw previews and commercials for this movie, I got really excited. I was a big fan of the old 70's Lou Ferrigno Incredible Hulk show. I loved Ang Lee's 2003 Hulk and the 2008 Hulk, so I knew Hulk would make a big impact on everyone who saw Avengers. Tony Stark was just flat out hilarious. 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger was not the greatest Marvel movie. I still liked Cap. America, but I just thought it was too in the 40's (kind of boring). I loved the Thor movie because there was great fun action in almost every scene (like the Avengers). The Avengers tops every Marvel movie I've ever seen and I can't wait for the September 25th Blu-ray/DVD release! I LOVE THE AVENGERS!! It might be hard for The Dark Knight Rises to top this film.