IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 173: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

This review may contain spoilers

Author: mounirrmaged
10 August 2016

The avengers. One of the most hyped comic book movies of all time. After years of build-up with solo movies, the avengers is born. Is it good? does it still hold up? the answer is no. I admit, the first time i saw this movie in theaters, i was having a blast and enjoying it very much. However, the film gets worse for me each time i give it a second watch. The film is centered around Loki(played by Tom Hiddleston), who wants to take over the world, while the avengers work out their ways to stop him. It is as generic and lazy as it sounds. The film barely has any story or even character development/interaction. It's nothing but one liners and action. None of the characters have a defined personality. Tony Stark is a one dimensional clown, Thor is has the charm of a wood that speaks in a Shakespearean way, black widow and hawkeye are nearly the same, only their gender are different. Hulk has his moments, and captain America is one of the most boring comic book characters i have ever seen in this movie. It's basically a Michael Bay movie minus the women objectifying, but same level of obnoxious and out dated film making. One of the most overrated trash movies i have ever seen. This movie gets 3/10 from me

Plot, Costume, and Theme Review

Author: loughjordan from United States
25 September 2015

Knowing a little bit about comic books, and knowing some about Avengers Assemble it made this film The Avengers, directed by Joss Whedon, even more enjoyable for me.

When Earth comes under attack by Asgardian Loki (Tom Hiddleston) in his pursuit to get the Tesseract, it is up to S.H.I.E.L.D. to pull start up The Avengers. After a small town is almost completely destroyed by Thor on a previous visit to Earth S.H.I.E.L.D. decided that they needed something that could take on anything that was not from "this world". So when Nick Fury calls on some of the biggest heroes Earth has ever met: Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Black Widow (Scarelett Johansson), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America (Chris Evans), and of course Thor (Chris Hemsworth).

The theme of this movie in my opinion would be Man vs. Man. This is because throughout the entire film there is some sort of conflict going on. The first and main conflict that appears is Loki attacking S.H.I.E.L.D. takes control of Hawkeye and Dr. Selvig in order to steal the Tesseract and use it for his own purposes. A second conflict that appears in the film is between Thor and Loki. When Thor still considers them brothers Loki retaliates and says that he is not really his brother and that he should still be the "true" ruler of Asgard.

With the costumes that have been chosen for this film it helps to create the aspect of the heroes being more than a normal human. Even with Hawkeye and Black Widow, Black Widow had been trained pretty much from birth to become a killer, and Hawkeye has advance skills in marksmanship. With Thor's costume he is wearing something that helps to prove that he is not from Earth and from another world. Now for Iron Man, he made his own super suit that could do almost anything, which includes keeping him safe from being torn up from the roaders on the ship that S.H.I.E.L.D. was functioning from after an attack from Loki and his minions.

Finally, in the final attack with Loki and The Avengers, Thor takes Loki back to Asgard to deal with his faults there where the intention is for him to be properly punished.

This is a must see film especially if you are a comic book junkie!

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: horseygurlz from United Kingdom
24 December 2012

The danger with every superhero movie is that it will end up either horrifically unrealistic or unappealing to anyone over the age of ten. I am pleased to say that 'The Avengers' does not fall into either of these pitholes - in fact, it has to be awarded the title of one of the best films of 2012.

The actors were all amazingly casted in their respective roles and do an amazing job of creating intriguing and lovable characters. Many of them were reprising roles they had taken on in previous films - Captain America, Thor or Iron Man, for example - so we already had a good idea of how they would perform, but I feel they all exceeded expectations. Robert Downey Jr was incredible as the humorous yet conflicted Tony Stark/ Iron Man, and Chris Evans was brilliant as the confused, out-of-time Steve Rogers/ Captain America. Mark Ruffalo, the newbie of the cast, stepped into the role of Bruce Banner/ Hulk with great skill and dispersed all doubts as to his suitability. On the other side, Tom Hiddleston really has to be congratulated for his convincing and somehow relatable performance as the villain Loki, whose wit and tricks appealed to fans everywhere.

The special effects in this movie were undoubtedly excellent, and despite their need to be ostentatious never seemed unnecessarily unrealistic. The director Joss Whedon did a fabulous job and has created a cinematic classic that will be praised for years to come.

MARVELous

Author: rossiepearson from United Kingdom
5 December 2012

"The tesseract has awakened." spoken in the opening scene, picks right up where 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and 'Thor' left off. S.H.E.I.L.D director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is forced to call upon earths mightiest hero's to stop the self outcast Asgardian Loki.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk, along with Black Widow and Hawkeye, are the only hope to save the world from an invasion, and boy do they in an instant superhero classic. Possibly the best thing about The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble in the UK) is that each hero has grounded powers the exception being Thor (unless you count Hulk's strength as a super power), which makes the Marvel hero's more believable than their DC. counterparts.

There's drama, action, comedy, and some amazing CGI, and thankfully doesn't fall into the same category as the not so fantastic Fantastic 4 movies. Mark Ruffalo, replacing the underwhelming Ed Norton, excels as Bruce Banner/Hulk, which is without a doubt the best on screen version of the iconic hero after the awful 2003 'Hulk' movie and 2008's slightly improved 'The Incredible Hulk', as well as Ruffalo and co star Robert Downey Jr. Playing Tony Stark/Iron Man for the 4th time, having some fantastic chemistry in a scene on-board the Hellcarrier.

Chris Evans plays Captain America perfectly as the man out of time, Chris Hemsworth is believable in his role as Loki's Brother (like in Thor) Scarlett Johansson is the surprise of the movie though with a lot of the action revolving around her Black Widow, the only major disappointment with The Avengers is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is underused. That being said every hero gets decent screen time to justify their appearance as well as everyone having a big part to play in the fantastic final sequence.

However, The Avengers towers over every superhero movie in recent memory with the only real challengers being X-Men and The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joss Whedons hit is sure to please Marvel fans and the everyday movie goer. Next up for Marvel studios, Iron Man 3, cant wait.

Best quote in the movie: Loki:"How desperate are you that you call upon such such lost creatures to defend you?"

If you enjoyed watching: X-Men, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, you'll enjoy watching The Avengers (Avengers Assemble).

A superhero film true to its name.

Author: prashanta_guha from India
7 May 2012

Let's be honest. All the previous Marvel films leading to the Avengers were great - story wise, acting wise, effect wise etc. Iron Man I & II, Thor, Captain America all turned out to be (surprise) box office hits, and one can see the point. So, when at the end of every movie, a post credits scene was shown depicting that there is something even greater planned, the expectations were raised pretty high.

Joss Whedon (Firefly, Cabin in the Woods) took into account that set expectations, of both comic book fans and non-fans alike, and put together a superhero flick that'll rest proudly as the conclusion to its predecessors. The screenplay writers, the VFX studio, the actors (Robert Downey Jr. has always been my favorite) all deserve credit.

An action packed, blockbuster movie that already has every record broken and every voice cheering, The Avengers is one of the best movies this year. A must watch, even if you're not into this stuff. 10 on 10.

All in all, one of the best films I've seen in a while.

Author: Liam McBey from Scotland
28 April 2012

Cannot find too much fault in this film, apart from maybe the fact you will need to have seen all previously related films, luckily I had seen Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America and Thor, so I knew the back story from the get-go.

I feel all of the characters were given enough screen time, I would have maybe liked to see Thor a bit more, I think he was underused, he could have done a lot more with his massive power, like killing one of those massive lizard things on his own, the character of the Hulk was brilliantly well played by Mark Ruffalo, he portrayed Banner as a very calm and collected man and very laid back which is needed for him, it created a newfound interest in the character for me, as I was never a great fan of the Hulk. As always Robert Downey Jr did a fantastic job of Iron Man, with the majority of the film's funny lines coming from him.

Chris Hemsworth borough back the mighty Thor and did so tremendously, like I said I think he could have been used a lot more, the Black Widow was also a nice addition, even though she had appeared previously in Iron Man 2, (although the tight leather outfit was a bit distracting lol.) I found it incredibly hard to stop looking at her behind, but luckily I was wearing 3D glasses in the dark so nobody could tell.

Hawkeye was really well played, for some reason the actor looks a LOT like Gerard Butler to me, I don't know why. But regardless he is a great character and I found it very funny when he asked Iron Man for a lift up to a roof of a building, and Tony Stark replied "Ok hang on then Legolas". Little funny lines like that made the entire cinema laugh a lot.

The humour of the film mainly came from Iron Man/Tony Stark, also quite a lot of funny moments came from Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I was a bit confused as to why he can suddenly control the Hulk, when he completely lost control on the ship earlier on. There were deep and meaningful thoughts about Bruce's alter ego, but there was a lot of humour to be had from the Hulk as well, (particularly when he smashes Loki on the ground again and again).

One small annoyance I had was the continuity on the level of strength and toughness each character had. In the film Thor, he was made to look like the most powerful being ever, with one whack sending big ice men flying 50 feet in the air, but in this film he only whacks them back about ten feet, which is exactly the same distance Captain America and Iron Man can hit (which it shows in the fight scene involving the three of them). It's just an annoyance of mine but I found it hard to figure out which one of them had the most strength, fair enough Steve Rogers is a super soldier but Thor is a demigod, you would think he would have a lot more more strength in comparison, one second a whack from Thor's Hammer can knock the Hulk ten feet away, but it doesn't even leave a scratch on Captain America's shield? And yes I know the shield is made with some indestructible material mentioned in the Cap film, but the Hulk is quite tough too and he got knocked away completely.

I also kinda wished they fought directly next to each other more, you never see all of them at the exact same place, they're always scattered about and you never get the feeling they are a full team, throughout the film I was waiting for some epic bit where all 5 of them pulled off some unique combo that involved all of them, but the most I got was two or three of them in the same place in the final battle.

But all in all, the film is brilliantly well done, action scenes are engrossing and genuinely frightful, you get some empathy for Bruce Banner, you genuinely worry about certain characters and I for one was thrilled with it, I was worrying it might be too many characters for one film but they nailed it.

"The Avengers" (2012)

Author: dee.reid from United States
9 July 2012

As you well know by now, "The Avengers" is a large-scale superhero film that was four years in the making, with no less than four individual - yet inter-connected superhero films - feeding into this film's overall story. Joss "Firefly" Whedon was the director and co-writer on this highly ambitious project that is an adaptation of the Marvel Comics superhero team co-created by Stan Lee (who also appears in a very small cameo, like almost every other movie adaptation of a superhero he had a hand in creating) and the late Jack Kirby. Steve Rogers/Captain America (Chris Evans), Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Natasha Romanoff/The Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson), and Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) are the six misfits chosen by Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Samuel L. Jackson) to defeat the traitorous Asgardian misfit Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and his alien army from laying waste to New York City. And of course, six characters usually accustomed to working alone have to work out their differences and come together as a team to save the world. What gets "The Avengers" many points is that beside its big action sequences, fights and special effects, we never really lose sight of the characters (who are usually relegated to the background in a movie like this) and who they are. I liked that the movie actually spent time developing the individual characters so that we get to know them all over again - even though they've all already appeared in previous superhero films. It's all big superhero fun, with a knowing wink and an outstanding sense of humor that manages to elicit some strong laughs from anyone viewing this thing with an open mind. Sit back and enjoy!

P.S.: What happened to Dr. Henry "Hank" Pym/Giant-Man and Janet van Dyne/The Wasp? Weren't they part of the original Avengers team line-up (before "The Avengers #4" when Captain America became team leader, marking the character's Silver Age debut)? This was my only real complaint about "The Avengers."

Solid fun movie

Author: cidliq from California
6 July 2012

THE GOOD- I was truly impressed with how well they pulled this movie off. The visual effects were all very clean. The characters were portrayed by the actors very well. This movie was loaded with action keeping everyone's attention glued to it. I was so impressed, I went to the theater to see it more than once and recommended it to everyone. I was very happy to see most of the actors return to portray their characters in this. THE BAD- Most characters.... The hulk was my big issue here. Mark Rufflo was good with the Bruce Banner character but the graphics for the hulk just did not meet the level of the movie starring Edward Norton. But it was not so bad that I could not look past it and really find enjoyment. I will most definitely go see another installment of Avengers.

AS expected

Author: lmbd2001 from saudi arabia, jubail
4 July 2012

The movie is certainly marvel's best till now and has great effects. Though little childish at times it is very good. As I expected it was one of the best films with descent, comedy parts. The acting was above average and the dialogues were really mind-boggling. It was a bit lengthy but was touching every single minute. The story was very good and the superhero's were described nicely. Bruce Banner very polite when he was not Hulk, Captain America very serious and all that. It was defiantly worth watching and is one of the best superhero films. I am looking ford for the Avengers 2 and I am searching the whole internet for a little glimpse of it.

Big thumbs up for The Avengers

Author: natcarr-74-27114 from United Kingdom
14 May 2012

Loved this movie, even at almost 3 hours long it didn't drag. Joss Wheddon (Firefly and Buffy) effortlessly out did all of the battle scenes in every Transformer movie with the climatic showdown. there are even two or three seriously laugh out loud moments, mostly concerning The Hulk, but don't worry the film takes itself fairly seriously so you can escape into the story and immerse yourself.

Fans of Ironman, Thor and Captain America will not be disappointed. Every one of the superheroes gets their moment in the sun. And of course, there's Scarlett's character Black Widow. YUM! I'm giving the movie 10/10 (2D HD version) because it's so entertaining and it fulfilled all my expectations. You won't be disappointed.

As far as the format goes though, stick with HD, there wasn't any real 3D moments. If you are hugely into your 3D experience, think twice before paying the extra, there wasn't any stand out 3D moments, but lots of out of focus backgrounds which kinda wasted the small fortune that must have been spent on production. Go HD you'll get a better experience.