IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 172: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [Next]

A+ Easily my favorite movie of the year so far

Author: heidee7 from Philippines
17 July 2012

I loved The Avengers, it is easily my favorite movie of the year so far! It's the kind of movie that left us happy afterwards, that made us want to discuss it at length and made us leave reality; in every sense an aesthetic experience. I loved the action scenes, special effects, and all, but I suppose what I loved best about it were the hilarious one-liners that literally had the entire cinema laughing out loud. There were so many of these, too many to count with my fingers, in fact. There was also one moment when I actually cried, but then that was just me. I tend to cry over everything. *Sheepish smile.*

I was initially afraid that so many characters in one movie would result in one convoluted mess, but the writers managed to make a script that somehow gave each character their own screen time without making it appear too contrived, or as though they just forcibly slotted a story in just so a certain character could appear. The entire story actually made sense and flowed naturally into one cohesive whole.

I was also initially afraid that so many hunky heroes in one movie would make my heart or brain explode from confusion as to which one to 'ship, as I had fallen in love with each one of these heroes when I watched their individual films in the years past. (Okay, not all of them, just Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.) But here's what I realized - The Avengers makes for an interesting study in finding out what a girl truly finds attractive in a man, depending on who she loves most among the heroes. Is it Captain America, the handsome and wholesome boy next door with the hero's noble heart? Is it Thor, the fierce, masculine man with rippling muscles, facial hair and deep throaty growl? Is it the Hulk, the reserved brainiac with a surprisingly endearing shy smile? Or it it Iron Man, the witty genius billionaire playboy philanthropist (in his own words)?

I am not going to recap the story, just go watch it yourself! It will be worth every single penny, I tells ya!

Holy Mother God Almighty! What a film!

Author: chancey-23 from United States
14 July 2012

The Avengers is truly a film that should be considered an instant classic. Joss Whedon does more than do justice to getting four superheroes on the screen, but he makes a tremendous yarn to go with it. Yes, the greatest strength of the film is the screenplay. The one liners are a keeper, and it comes with some great performances as well, particularly with Robert Downey, Jr and Mark Ruffalo. The film entertains in action, succeeds in comedy, and manages to be one of the greatest films we're bound to see this summer, and potentially one of the best films we'll see of the year. And an end note, if you do a sequel, please keep Joss Whedon. Without him, expect The Avengers 2 to be less entertaining overall.

Could be worse

Author: geremii from Lithuania
23 May 2012

If you honestly love one of those heroes (Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man or Thor), this movie is will be a pleasure for you. However, if you want to see The Avengers because of thrilling special effects or tense action, you will be disappointed.

First 2/3 of the movie is constant talking and staring at each other followed with cliché super-hero-type lines and couple of fights between each other. If not R. Downey's Iron Man and his sense of humor it would be a pure pain. I don't know if it was because of too salty popcorns or because of lack of action on the screen, but after an hour of watching it I became really, really bored. I'd bet on the latter, however... :)

The last ~1/5 of The Avengers is the battle in NYC. Fight scenes, humour, and CG looks pretty good. However, there is slight feeling that everything was just too easy. In any way you shouldn't search for logic in these type of movies - there isn't any.

Bottom line: Good for fans, average for everyone else. But 8.7 - you have to be kidding!

Movie is good. But overrated

Author: Anupam Kumar
18 May 2012

Seriously guys. Its a great action movie, but this should not be in the top 250 list.

The action was great.

The story-line, though, was not consistent with the comic books, was decent.

The special effects were great, as expected.

The characters were believable.

On and on, it was an acceptably average movie. Worth spending money.

Watching it in theatres in 3D was a real treat! BUT, No way in hell was it memorable or noteworthy or groundbreaking. It certainly does not deserve to be in top 250 list and be rated above 8 because its just an average movie.

I am beginning to loose faith in IMDb rating system now.

Suit Up, This Is The Best Superhero Movie Ever Made.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
5 May 2012

My friend took me to see the most hyped movie of the year and I have to say as a fan of superhero movies this is the best one by far.

The film is about Nick Fury played by Samuel L Jackson who wants to assemble an army of "Avengers" Consisting of Iron Man played by Robert Downy Jr, The Hulk played by Mark Ruffalo, Black Widow played by Scarlett Johansson, Captain America played by Chris Evans, Thor played by Chris Hemsworth and Hawkeye played by Jeremy Renner who have to take out Loki Thor's Brother played by Tom Hiddleston from destroying the world with a device known as The Tesseract.

This was such a great movie. The action was fantastic, has great special effects, Really funny moments like the guy playing Galaga on the job(if you have seen the movie then you know what I'm talking about), a fantastic Third act which some of the movie was shot in my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio, There is a Cameo by Stan Lee at the end of the movie. and the only superhero movie I know that has a reference to Marijuana in it. The only complaint was that it felt like a 3 1/2 hour movie, but since the movie was that good I can let it slip. If you do not see this in Theaters than you have no personality.

Rated PG-13 For Intense Sequences Of Sci-Fi Violence And Action Throughout, And A Mild Drug Reference.

2hrs 22min/142min.

****/****

A Great Example of Quality Movie-making

Author: Abhishek Bhattacharya from Kolkata, India
28 April 2012

"The Avengers" is a great exercise in the art of fantasy movie-making. Its exemplary and superior production value, great performance by a stellar cast all portraying iconic superheroes, clever and witty dialogues (albeit with some nonchalant sarcasm thrown by RDJ as the charismatic and philanthropic billionaire with an obsession for high end technology and sophisticated gadgets), superb pacing nary a monotonous moment, adequate and sufficient background information for the uninitiated (those who haven't seen Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk & The Iron Man franchise) but not overly cumbersome in its flashback of the introductory sequences, magnificent cinematography and mesmerizing VFX, profusely suitable background score without unnecessary cacophony and a brilliant, tight-knit plot giving each and every character enough time and screen presence to develop their respective characters, makes this as the best movie of 2012 by far without any hyperbole and on par with Batman:Dark Knight as possibly the greatest Superhero Movie, comprising of a heavy hitting ensemble cast delivering undoubtedly MARVEL's finest effort till date. Director Joss Whedon has done an exceptional and brilliant job. A must watch movie, which is surely going to be an Epic. It's an amazing movie full of heart, gravitas, emotion and depth. The On-screen chemistry between all the lead characters is uncanny and unparalleled. 10/10, a must watch for every Hollywood movie buff & Superhero aficionado.

Awesome!!!!

Author: tjain71 from India
28 April 2012

I watched before some hours And I tell Only One Word ABout The Movie It Was "AWESOME" I don't Think So That This Movie Is Better Than This

Go to The Theaters And Experience The Most Entertaining Movie Of 2012 With Superb Actions....

The characters were written perfectly, the action was spectacular and best of all ever character was a joy to watch. The story had the perfect balance of comedy, action and drama (yes, there's a bit of that too and it's good). It's everything a comic book fan would want out of a comic book adaptation movie.

Every member of the Avengers line-up (whether super powered or not) got the right amount of screen time; if you were like me and thought that Iron Man would get accidentally hog the screen because the trailers made the movie look like "IRON MAN AND FRIENDS," your fears will be washed away.

Josh Whedon pulled off the impossible; he wrote and directed a perfect comic book adaptation. He created what I consider the best superhero movie so far. He made THE AVENGERS.

To say anything more would be a waste of time. Just go and watch it.

Wow

Author: lilantman10 from United States
10 December 2012

Finally the Marvel Franchise reveals it's coup de grace and it's everything that we hoped for. Before I totally kiss this movie's butt for a while I'm going to delve into the negatives first.

Just a warning the first 25 minutes are a little slow, which is to be expected when telling such a large story. Lord of the Rings needed a whole movie to build up to the adventure to put it into context. Some of Loki's dialogue is a little hard to understand at times because of the Norse language dialect, but that's easily fixed with second viewings. Other than that and some nitpicks the movie delivers.

This is the movie we all made playing with our toys as a kid. Wheedon has done a fantastic job and I really don't think this movie could've worked as well without him. All the characters fit in this movie. I never thought a conversation between Loki and Nick Fury would work on screen but it does. Every character gets to shine in this movie. At time it's a Black Widow movie, then an Ironman movie, then a Thor movie, then a Captain America movie it all just fits perfectly. This movie has the best editing I've seen all year and some of the best acting to go with it. This movie is a culmination of several geek movies in one. It's got the ear turning and self reflection of Scott Pilgrim with the ensemble aspect of Star Trek (2009) with great dialogue.

I'm going to say character a lot because that's the focus. The story is a little weak because it comes second to the characters. I've always described superhero movies are character pieces with big budgets. A lot of people complained that it's a comedy or that it's just a loud mindless movie with explosions like Transformers. Since when does having great humor make something a comedy? All the humor is in the witty dialogue and a few physical gags which are hilarious and also unique to the characters. And Wheedon adds lots of little subtle setups to the ending to make the movie more cohesive and smarter than it is. It's not a bad story it's just a simple character driven one. The only superhero movie I know that has more emphasis on story is The Dark Knight, but this blows that out of the water. 6 heroes are better than one. That's why Lord of The Rings, Star Trek, and Toy Story are so great. The Team or The Ensemble.

There are so many ways this movie could've been ruined. Maybe they got the writing right, and the action is choreographed well but is filmed with shaky cam or is incoherent. All the action scenes in this movie are great and easy on the eyes and even have lots of character in them. The best scene in this movie is when the avengers are all arguing in a room. And the acting is the greatest. I still have a hard time wrestling with who was my favorite actor in this. This movie is so much fun and if you don't like it it's probably because you didn't want to so anybody with an open mind should love this 10 out of 10

A MUST see!

Author: BottomLineReviews
10 December 2012

You can think I'm jumping on the bandwagon or whatever you want - this movie was AMAZING. I would give it a 10 out of 10 if Cobie Smulders hadn't been so poorly miscast. Go back to Ted, Robin, you don't belong here. I would be hard pressed to find anything else wrong with this movie.

The best scenes are not when the Avengers are working together to fight the enemy, it's when they're fighting each other - with words (hilarious!) or with weapons (bad***!). Some might say the beginning of this movie starts out too slow and there isn't enough action - I'd say they are dead wrong. Dead wrong. This is a movie that doesn't insult the audience by assuming that all they want are things to go crash and boom. This is a movie that cares about developing their characters and cares about an actual storyline. Sure, they're all superheros, but they're all also human. Don't worry though, there's still plenty of action to go around and each of the characters in this movie pulls his (and her!) own weight.

My only piece of advice is to first see Captain America, Iron Man (at least the first), and Thor. Especially Thor since the entire premise of this movie is based on Thor's brother Loki - Tom Hiddleston is RIDICULOUSLY amazing in this movie. Avengers does a good job of catching you up to speed if you haven't seen these other movies (or read the comic books, which I admittedly haven't) but I would still recommend seeing them.

Bottom Line: If I had the money, I'd be paying to see this movie in the theater every day.

A Must see!! I find few problems and plenty of funny moments for the sci fi kind of guys! ;)

Author: Samuel Duncan (duncansam1996@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
4 December 2012

I love this film! it is funny, packed with action and story is easy to follow. Best set of warriors with real potential together all work together to bring down evil that is out of this world! :D MY perfect film! I love Iron man, I love captain America, I love The Hulk, i love it all! The film has good use of CGI. it has good action scenes that no one is better than the other...they are all good in their unique way. this makes the film so unique because it packs in the best actor with a great story in a good set! With every film there are problems. Some of these are quite obvious to the human eye. Firstly how does the start work? the starting point was quite confusing and very different, :( just got me wondering....why this world? but after you pass that the film seems to have few flaws and good parts! so i definitely would recommend this to a friend or two and it would be a nice family film too.

My conclusion is that it would get a suitable 9/10 from me. I want to give it more but i just would not give it a ten. Not everyones film. :) thanks for reading and happy reviewing! :D