IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 172: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

The Avengers

Author: mherriman32 from United States
26 November 2012

The Marvel's movie The Avengers is an action packed comedy sci-fi movie all in one. It has everything and everyone in it. All of the Marvel characters in one brought together by Nick Fury because Loki stole the Tesseract that was found in the Captain America movie. It has Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Captain America. All the characters are extremely different, which made it very difficult for them to come together as one team against their other worldly foe, Loki. It takes the super heroes to get past their own egos and accept each other's help. It's difficult for the characters to come together because they're personalities are all so different, and they're also used to being the stars by themselves so that makes ten times more difficult to come together. There is a lot of inner conflict with the characters too. To start off with, the inevitable Iron Man. He is still the same Iron Man, a genius with a lot of money and a huge ego. Captain America just has came back from being frozen since the World War II times. He isn't used to all the technology that is used to really enhance the movie. That causes a conflict because Iron Man refers to Captain America as an "old man". Then there's Thor who is Loki's brother, there's more conflict. He comes to help because he is against his brothers antics. Loki believes that a world shouldn't have freedom like ours does. He comes to be the ruler and demands it. Then there's Natasha or the Black Widow, to me the typical woman in a super hero movie. She's almost seductive. They have her in tight clothing and she's manipulative. I am surprised that she can hold her own. I figured they would have made her more of a damsel in distress because she is the only woman in the movie really. Her friend Hawkeye becomes under Loki's spell trying to defend Loki from getting the Tesseract. He ends up having to fight Natasha and then comes out of the spell the help in the end. Then there's Hulk who has been trying to hide and stay away pretty much from people so he can keep calm. He hates becoming the Hulk, but when he does, he doesn't care who or what is in his way. He fights the other characters and tries to hurt them without really being aware.

Disregarding all of the conflict the characters all come together in the end to take on Loki in the typical attack area I feel for a superhero movie, New York City. It has to happen in a big city to show the impact that it had on the movie. All around the quality of the movie is amazing. The way all the movies were tied together really worked. It was all around a great movie.

Loud, Long, 110% Special Effects

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 September 2012

Has the global situation grown so bleak that the populace has regressed to comic books for escapism entertainment? Judging by the enormous popularity of everything cinematic based on superheroes and sci-fi extravaganzas I suppose the answer is 'Yes!' To sit in one place for an excess of 2 ½ hours and witness the destruction derby that is the apocalyptic bad guys (in the form of a light spear carrying Loki (Tom Hiddleston) against Samuel L. Jackson's SHIELD cast of make-believe folks - Robert Downey, Jr in armor, Chris Evans in his Captain America Halloween costume, Mark Ruffalo unconvincingly transforming into the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as hammer wielding Thor, Scarlett Johansson as a pretty Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye all out to make life sustainable for the leasers like Stellan Skarsgård, Clark Gregg, and Colbie Smulders - is a feat in itself.

For movies of this type this one has more color and imaginative loco devices that most and therefore I suppose it remains at the top of the heap. When will these characters run out of tales? The answer likely is 'When the movie public stops ling up for these epics.'

Grady Harp

Most overrated movie of all time

Author: cyasin95 from United States
28 August 2012

The movie was absolute trash. Horrible scripts, least menacing villain ever, no chemistry between the actors, and mundane story line. The movie was immensely over hyped and definitely does not deserve anything near a 8.5 rating. Its alright as a kids movie. It does not come anywhere near the unprecedented standards set by the dark knight or for that matter does not even come close to spiderman 2. The movie is often commended for its humor. In my opinion the humor is extremely dry and futile. Nothing special at all, despite its box office success it would have been better off as an animated movie. So if you want watch at least a decent super hero flick you might as well pick up Watchmen, X-men first class, Spider man 1 or 2 and of course the batman trilogy.

A+ Easily my favorite movie of the year so far

Author: heidee7 from Philippines
17 July 2012

I loved The Avengers, it is easily my favorite movie of the year so far! It's the kind of movie that left us happy afterwards, that made us want to discuss it at length and made us leave reality; in every sense an aesthetic experience. I loved the action scenes, special effects, and all, but I suppose what I loved best about it were the hilarious one-liners that literally had the entire cinema laughing out loud. There were so many of these, too many to count with my fingers, in fact. There was also one moment when I actually cried, but then that was just me. I tend to cry over everything. *Sheepish smile.*

I was initially afraid that so many characters in one movie would result in one convoluted mess, but the writers managed to make a script that somehow gave each character their own screen time without making it appear too contrived, or as though they just forcibly slotted a story in just so a certain character could appear. The entire story actually made sense and flowed naturally into one cohesive whole.

I was also initially afraid that so many hunky heroes in one movie would make my heart or brain explode from confusion as to which one to 'ship, as I had fallen in love with each one of these heroes when I watched their individual films in the years past. (Okay, not all of them, just Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.) But here's what I realized - The Avengers makes for an interesting study in finding out what a girl truly finds attractive in a man, depending on who she loves most among the heroes. Is it Captain America, the handsome and wholesome boy next door with the hero's noble heart? Is it Thor, the fierce, masculine man with rippling muscles, facial hair and deep throaty growl? Is it the Hulk, the reserved brainiac with a surprisingly endearing shy smile? Or it it Iron Man, the witty genius billionaire playboy philanthropist (in his own words)?

I am not going to recap the story, just go watch it yourself! It will be worth every single penny, I tells ya!

Holy Mother God Almighty! What a film!

Author: chancey-23 from United States
14 July 2012

The Avengers is truly a film that should be considered an instant classic. Joss Whedon does more than do justice to getting four superheroes on the screen, but he makes a tremendous yarn to go with it. Yes, the greatest strength of the film is the screenplay. The one liners are a keeper, and it comes with some great performances as well, particularly with Robert Downey, Jr and Mark Ruffalo. The film entertains in action, succeeds in comedy, and manages to be one of the greatest films we're bound to see this summer, and potentially one of the best films we'll see of the year. And an end note, if you do a sequel, please keep Joss Whedon. Without him, expect The Avengers 2 to be less entertaining overall.

Could be worse

Author: geremii from Lithuania
23 May 2012

If you honestly love one of those heroes (Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man or Thor), this movie is will be a pleasure for you. However, if you want to see The Avengers because of thrilling special effects or tense action, you will be disappointed.

First 2/3 of the movie is constant talking and staring at each other followed with cliché super-hero-type lines and couple of fights between each other. If not R. Downey's Iron Man and his sense of humor it would be a pure pain. I don't know if it was because of too salty popcorns or because of lack of action on the screen, but after an hour of watching it I became really, really bored. I'd bet on the latter, however... :)

The last ~1/5 of The Avengers is the battle in NYC. Fight scenes, humour, and CG looks pretty good. However, there is slight feeling that everything was just too easy. In any way you shouldn't search for logic in these type of movies - there isn't any.

Bottom line: Good for fans, average for everyone else. But 8.7 - you have to be kidding!

Movie is good. But overrated

Author: Anupam Kumar
18 May 2012

Seriously guys. Its a great action movie, but this should not be in the top 250 list.

The action was great.

The story-line, though, was not consistent with the comic books, was decent.

The special effects were great, as expected.

The characters were believable.

On and on, it was an acceptably average movie. Worth spending money.

Watching it in theatres in 3D was a real treat! BUT, No way in hell was it memorable or noteworthy or groundbreaking. It certainly does not deserve to be in top 250 list and be rated above 8 because its just an average movie.

I am beginning to loose faith in IMDb rating system now.

Suit Up, This Is The Best Superhero Movie Ever Made.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
5 May 2012

My friend took me to see the most hyped movie of the year and I have to say as a fan of superhero movies this is the best one by far.

The film is about Nick Fury played by Samuel L Jackson who wants to assemble an army of "Avengers" Consisting of Iron Man played by Robert Downy Jr, The Hulk played by Mark Ruffalo, Black Widow played by Scarlett Johansson, Captain America played by Chris Evans, Thor played by Chris Hemsworth and Hawkeye played by Jeremy Renner who have to take out Loki Thor's Brother played by Tom Hiddleston from destroying the world with a device known as The Tesseract.

This was such a great movie. The action was fantastic, has great special effects, Really funny moments like the guy playing Galaga on the job(if you have seen the movie then you know what I'm talking about), a fantastic Third act which some of the movie was shot in my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio, There is a Cameo by Stan Lee at the end of the movie. and the only superhero movie I know that has a reference to Marijuana in it. The only complaint was that it felt like a 3 1/2 hour movie, but since the movie was that good I can let it slip. If you do not see this in Theaters than you have no personality.

Rated PG-13 For Intense Sequences Of Sci-Fi Violence And Action Throughout, And A Mild Drug Reference.

2hrs 22min/142min.

****/****

A Great Example of Quality Movie-making

Author: Abhishek Bhattacharya from Kolkata, India
28 April 2012

"The Avengers" is a great exercise in the art of fantasy movie-making. Its exemplary and superior production value, great performance by a stellar cast all portraying iconic superheroes, clever and witty dialogues (albeit with some nonchalant sarcasm thrown by RDJ as the charismatic and philanthropic billionaire with an obsession for high end technology and sophisticated gadgets), superb pacing nary a monotonous moment, adequate and sufficient background information for the uninitiated (those who haven't seen Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk & The Iron Man franchise) but not overly cumbersome in its flashback of the introductory sequences, magnificent cinematography and mesmerizing VFX, profusely suitable background score without unnecessary cacophony and a brilliant, tight-knit plot giving each and every character enough time and screen presence to develop their respective characters, makes this as the best movie of 2012 by far without any hyperbole and on par with Batman:Dark Knight as possibly the greatest Superhero Movie, comprising of a heavy hitting ensemble cast delivering undoubtedly MARVEL's finest effort till date. Director Joss Whedon has done an exceptional and brilliant job. A must watch movie, which is surely going to be an Epic. It's an amazing movie full of heart, gravitas, emotion and depth. The On-screen chemistry between all the lead characters is uncanny and unparalleled. 10/10, a must watch for every Hollywood movie buff & Superhero aficionado.

Awesome!!!!

Author: tjain71 from India
28 April 2012

I watched before some hours And I tell Only One Word ABout The Movie It Was "AWESOME" I don't Think So That This Movie Is Better Than This

Go to The Theaters And Experience The Most Entertaining Movie Of 2012 With Superb Actions....

The characters were written perfectly, the action was spectacular and best of all ever character was a joy to watch. The story had the perfect balance of comedy, action and drama (yes, there's a bit of that too and it's good). It's everything a comic book fan would want out of a comic book adaptation movie.

Every member of the Avengers line-up (whether super powered or not) got the right amount of screen time; if you were like me and thought that Iron Man would get accidentally hog the screen because the trailers made the movie look like "IRON MAN AND FRIENDS," your fears will be washed away.

Josh Whedon pulled off the impossible; he wrote and directed a perfect comic book adaptation. He created what I consider the best superhero movie so far. He made THE AVENGERS.

To say anything more would be a waste of time. Just go and watch it.