IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 162: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Loud, Long, 110% Special Effects

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 September 2012

Has the global situation grown so bleak that the populace has regressed to comic books for escapism entertainment? Judging by the enormous popularity of everything cinematic based on superheroes and sci-fi extravaganzas I suppose the answer is 'Yes!' To sit in one place for an excess of 2 ½ hours and witness the destruction derby that is the apocalyptic bad guys (in the form of a light spear carrying Loki (Tom Hiddleston) against Samuel L. Jackson's SHIELD cast of make-believe folks - Robert Downey, Jr in armor, Chris Evans in his Captain America Halloween costume, Mark Ruffalo unconvincingly transforming into the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as hammer wielding Thor, Scarlett Johansson as a pretty Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye all out to make life sustainable for the leasers like Stellan Skarsgård, Clark Gregg, and Colbie Smulders - is a feat in itself.

For movies of this type this one has more color and imaginative loco devices that most and therefore I suppose it remains at the top of the heap. When will these characters run out of tales? The answer likely is 'When the movie public stops ling up for these epics.'

Grady Harp

Most overrated movie of all time

Author: cyasin95 from United States
28 August 2012

The movie was absolute trash. Horrible scripts, least menacing villain ever, no chemistry between the actors, and mundane story line. The movie was immensely over hyped and definitely does not deserve anything near a 8.5 rating. Its alright as a kids movie. It does not come anywhere near the unprecedented standards set by the dark knight or for that matter does not even come close to spiderman 2. The movie is often commended for its humor. In my opinion the humor is extremely dry and futile. Nothing special at all, despite its box office success it would have been better off as an animated movie. So if you want watch at least a decent super hero flick you might as well pick up Watchmen, X-men first class, Spider man 1 or 2 and of course the batman trilogy.

garbage

Author: fkkemble from Bowen Island, Canada
26 October 2012

WHY-WAS-EVERYONE-SPEAKING-SO-SLOWLY-? DO- THEY - ALL -HAVE- A -SPEECH- IMPEDIMENT? This is a ghastly movie, the worst I have ever (partially) watched. I read the reviews for Prometheus which was not flawless but it was powerful and contained some outstanding imagery and it actually scored lower than this ( The Avengers) odious piece of crap. The acting was extraordinarily bad, the dialogue so witless and dim that it defies belief. I watched the first hour but was in danger of vomiting with disgust at any moment and so turned it off. Scarlet Johansen is a classy actress, what was she thinking, also Gwyneth Paltrow? Robert Downey Junior is a great actor who seems to always play in dumb movies- he's worth more than than. I heard good things abut this movie- what have we come to that people rate this garbage as entertainment?

Not the reboot I was hoping for

Author: PlugInYourBrain from Australia
29 August 2012

The good: Robert Downey Jr. is charming as ever. Scarlett Johannsen is delicious as ever. Chris Evans makes a great Captain America. Mark Ruffalo turned in a good performance as David Banner. Samuel Jackson is usual Bad-ass self. Did I leave anyone out? The CGI is up to today's usual high standard. Oh I nearly forgot: The Thor guy was pretty cool too, though why does a Scandinavian God speak with a British Accent?

The bad: There's no plot. Loki is a 1-dimensional villain. He "wants to be king." He wants people to submit. That's it. That's all there is.

I expected more from Joss Whedon, like the incredible reboot J. J. Abrams was able to deliver Star Trek. Damn it! I don't really care much for Star Trek, but Abrams had me nearly crying at the start of that movie.

Instead with Avengers we get another paint-by-numbers Superhero movie. You *can* make a Superhero movie with Heart! Look at the original Superman, or more recently Dark Knight and even Kick Ass. I want action and plenty of it, but I also want to connect with the characters on screen.

The problem with Avengers is that connection isn't there and there's not a lot happening either. The production values are high, but that's no substitute for a plot. Until the CGI battle at the end, I was a kind of bored.

Excellent.

Author: joanjollie from Spain
16 December 2012

This IS a well made summer blockbuster.

The characters are interesting, the acting is great and the script is able to be fun, but also deep and well written, it has everything you may ask for an action movie and even more.

Joss Whedon does an amazing work with the script; the acting, specially from Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Tom Hiddleston is Top Notch. The film builds tension during the first two act to culminate in an amazing climax, were the visuals are incredible.

It's basically a role model. Like Star Trek in 2009, it can probably inspire a new wave of blockbusters which can be smart without being pretentious, powerful without being dark.

It's an amazing film and I would recommend anyone to watch it.

On the nail

Author: snidgeskin from United Kingdom
4 December 2012

What can I say- I grew up with these guys in the 70's - being an English boy it was not so common to be reading these comics at 10 rather than Whizzer and Chips; et al, but I always loved Marvel for being more "real" (yeh I Know - these are Superheroes were talking about, I did stop collecting them by the time I was an adult - but yeh - I still got them all!).

It was a childhood dream to imagine seeing these characters in a film, but film attempts were always so lame until CGI took hold.

The X-Men (1 & 2 & 1st Class,) Spiderman (1,2 and, yes 3) Iron Man & Thor films finally met my childhood expectations. The Avengers has been the icing on the cake. The only disappointment for me is: Where are Janet, Hank, Wanda, Pietro & The Vision..will patience! Comics aside it's a great bundle of cinematic fun!

The Avengers

Author: mherriman32 from United States
26 November 2012

The Marvel's movie The Avengers is an action packed comedy sci-fi movie all in one. It has everything and everyone in it. All of the Marvel characters in one brought together by Nick Fury because Loki stole the Tesseract that was found in the Captain America movie. It has Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Captain America. All the characters are extremely different, which made it very difficult for them to come together as one team against their other worldly foe, Loki. It takes the super heroes to get past their own egos and accept each other's help. It's difficult for the characters to come together because they're personalities are all so different, and they're also used to being the stars by themselves so that makes ten times more difficult to come together. There is a lot of inner conflict with the characters too. To start off with, the inevitable Iron Man. He is still the same Iron Man, a genius with a lot of money and a huge ego. Captain America just has came back from being frozen since the World War II times. He isn't used to all the technology that is used to really enhance the movie. That causes a conflict because Iron Man refers to Captain America as an "old man". Then there's Thor who is Loki's brother, there's more conflict. He comes to help because he is against his brothers antics. Loki believes that a world shouldn't have freedom like ours does. He comes to be the ruler and demands it. Then there's Natasha or the Black Widow, to me the typical woman in a super hero movie. She's almost seductive. They have her in tight clothing and she's manipulative. I am surprised that she can hold her own. I figured they would have made her more of a damsel in distress because she is the only woman in the movie really. Her friend Hawkeye becomes under Loki's spell trying to defend Loki from getting the Tesseract. He ends up having to fight Natasha and then comes out of the spell the help in the end. Then there's Hulk who has been trying to hide and stay away pretty much from people so he can keep calm. He hates becoming the Hulk, but when he does, he doesn't care who or what is in his way. He fights the other characters and tries to hurt them without really being aware.

Disregarding all of the conflict the characters all come together in the end to take on Loki in the typical attack area I feel for a superhero movie, New York City. It has to happen in a big city to show the impact that it had on the movie. All around the quality of the movie is amazing. The way all the movies were tied together really worked. It was all around a great movie.

I hated it

Author: v-biketov from United States
22 November 2012

I had very high expectations for this movie, after seeing that it got > 8.5/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Needless to say, this movie was a disaster. 65% of the movie was full of them talking about how they are going to "kick some ass" while the other 35% was them actually doing the deed. This movie's ending was very predictable and was like every other superhero movie ever created. I can not imagine why someone would give this terrible film a rating greater than 1/10.

Bad Pitiful Terrible Horrible

Special effects for special people.

Author: musback from Antwerp, Belgium
27 August 2012

Where to start. Me and my wife watched this movie yesterday, to forget about the drama called 'battleship' (don't get me started.) But it's hard to choose the most retarded movie between the two. This one had some okay jokes in it, but like many people said: you don't feel any threat, you don't feel any story, you just see special effects and "UHMERICA F* YAA" 2hrs straight. The effects were good, and the Hulk smashed like he never smashed before, but every movie starts sucking as soon as you realize nobody of the good guys can actually die. (Lord Of the rings anyone?) and when legions of 10x more bad-ass alien monsters are killed throwing a chair at them or blind-aimed headshotting them with a bow on a spaceship going 300mph, you know you're just wasting your time. Anybody with the very least amount of self-respect, stay away from this movie, How this garbage achieved to get 8.6 on IMDb is more entertaining for me than watching that movie. Says a lot about IMDb and what it has become compared to what it used to be.

Could be worse

Author: geremii from Lithuania
23 May 2012

If you honestly love one of those heroes (Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man or Thor), this movie is will be a pleasure for you. However, if you want to see The Avengers because of thrilling special effects or tense action, you will be disappointed.

First 2/3 of the movie is constant talking and staring at each other followed with cliché super-hero-type lines and couple of fights between each other. If not R. Downey's Iron Man and his sense of humor it would be a pure pain. I don't know if it was because of too salty popcorns or because of lack of action on the screen, but after an hour of watching it I became really, really bored. I'd bet on the latter, however... :)

The last ~1/5 of The Avengers is the battle in NYC. Fight scenes, humour, and CG looks pretty good. However, there is slight feeling that everything was just too easy. In any way you shouldn't search for logic in these type of movies - there isn't any.

Bottom line: Good for fans, average for everyone else. But 8.7 - you have to be kidding!