IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 173: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Even with some flaws, excellent and one of the best movies of Marvel Heroes

Author: l-rocha77 from United Kingdom
8 May 2012

I'll make it simple:

Best points: Action scenes, Scarlett Johansson, Iron Man, Hulk

Low points: Captain America

I went to see this movie in 2D because i don't like the 3D, but after awhile i was regretting it because the scenes are awesome and must be really great in 3D, even in 2D the Heroes and creatures seem to come inside the cinema.

Captain America is so wrongly portrayed here, it's a mix of the old one of the comics in the 60's with the new one of Civil War, when the best comics of Captain America were in the 80's and 90's, he's supposed to be a man, not a kid, he's supposed to have a strong voice, not a sweet women lovable voice, he's supposed to be a bulk, not a normal gym guy, he's supposed to have an armor that shows respect and represents dignity, not a plastic suit that looks a carnival suit for kids, he's supposed to throw his shield like it was easy and light for him, and not heavy or with much effort, the shield it's supposed to be an extension of his arm and not his shoulder, He's supposed to be a leader and not someone who tells jokes, he never makes anyone laugh, he's the moral standards of every group, something that no Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, or other hero can do as him, because apart from his serum and special abilities he represents humanity at his best, not a playboy business man, or a God, or a monster, he's representing the best of mankind and human spirit, he's more then a soldier, and last but not least, he never takes a gun and starts shooting! Apart from that(because Captain America is one of my heroes) i can't give a 9 to this movie, all the scenes are great, Loki isn't that good as everyone says here, a god doesn't spit to a glass while talking, you don't even know if gods have saliva, it's not cool, but anyway i think it deserves a 9.5. Because i can't give that, and, although it doesn't respect Captain America spirit right, it's an awesome movie, 10 stars!

Best part of the movie is the scene when Hulk starts fighting the bad guys, you won't get better excitement and thrill then this, not even on the Hulk movies, what a shame for those two...

Avengers Assemble!

Author: Fields201 from United States
7 May 2012

So much build up and it all leads to this: And it's awesome! I know I'm late in reviewing this and everything has been said in all kinds of praise and this movie deserves it. Just see it. Even if you don't like comic book movies: See it.

What I find amusing is that Ironman was never really the top billing of The Avengers. It was always Captain America... until now. Robert Downey Jr. steals every scene that his name is first on the credits. Seriously, he's that awesome. I was also surprised with Mark Ruffalo's performance as The Hulk. He was great! His scenes with Robert Downey Jr. are some of the most memorable. I also haven't seen the Thor flick but the guy who played them was really good and really seemed into character. Hawkeye was cool and Scarlett Johanssen is hot.

Okay, the plot? Bad guy named Loki wants to take over the world and does a really good General Zod impression (Kneel before me!) and Avengers try to stop him. What's funny is that he looks tough in the beginning but then turns into a rag doll at the end. Just ask The Hulk. And whatever injustice the previous movies had done to The Hulk certainly makes up for it here.

Just see it! It's a lot of fun and it's what summer movies are supposed to be. It's a great beginning to summer movies. I'm glad I went!

All around great

Author: coastdaze from United States
6 May 2012

Most fun I've had in a long, long time. Yes, FUN. Although this movie was just about 2 1/2 hours long, it was so entertaining and engrossing for me that it seemed like about 1 1/2 hours. The character development was good and each character was given a bit of screen time to develop the character. The action was good and not overpowering, it only added to rather than being the main part of the movie. The comic level was perfect. Not too much goofy stuff said just to try and get laughs. Every line, imo, was perfectly placed (although I'll have to see it again in order to hear some funny lines that I missed due to the laughter in the theater!). By the way, morning matinée was SOLD OUT full. Each character was "in character" as we know them...Captain America was still the 40's guy; Iron Man was still, well, Iron Man, Thor...perfect, the Hulk - super good, best depiction I've seen, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie because it fulfilled all my "likes" for a movie...good vs. evil and good kicking butt; enjoyable fun time and escape, good dialog, good looking and PG. I've seen enough violence and sex and love the break for some simple ol' good times.

Best Superhero Movie!

Author: jeffreyjets from United States
5 May 2012

It pains me to say that because I was a Spiderman fan growing up and Spiderman started off this Superhero crazed movie run with what was the best movie. What made Spiderman stand apart was that it was a great movie and a great Superhero movie. Well, move over because Avengers did most everything right enough to at least have a discussion of whether Spiderman 1 or Avengers 1 was the better movie. It might have helped that I do not know the Avenger lore as well as I knew others, but everyone else is in agreement. I am reluctant about this statement, because you hear something is the best ever and then it never lives up. I read a lot of hype in these pages before I went and saw it. Now I have seen it and must agree with the hype.

One thing I was afraid of: Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk, which I am a little still out on, but I do like Mark Ruffalo, but made Bruce Banner a little too weak/effeminate. It comes together nicely though. Another was ScarJo. Yes, she is sexy enough(understatement) but was she athletic enough to carry it out and she did well enough. Another problem, the bravado/"egos" of the characters, not stars, but characters of such a movie would demand a lot of screen time for each one to make this work. That would be a problem if it was not accomplished. The movie was very good on this point. Cobie, Robin from How I met Your Mother, was a bit of a distraction for me in a secondary role, but did a competent job.

The most interesting thing for me was that Joss Whendon was Director and Writer. He created Buffy/ Angel, Firefly/Dollhouse. I wondered how he would do with such mainstream fair and he managed to bring everything together almost perfectly. I say almost because there is one bit that is missing. It is somewhat minor, but who taught Bruce Banner the secret to control his angry green side. That is the only piece missing for me.

For those that want specifics: effects were top notch, acting was excellent, story lines were compelling, the comedy was perfect 99.5% of the time and surprise there were a lot of one line typical superhero zingers that worked really well.

I think you will enjoy this movie, unless you only enjoy completely realistic movies.

That's how you start off the summer movie season.

Author: Drew St. Pierre from Maine
5 May 2012

STORY: The head director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) gathers a team of Marvel superheroes to be known as "The Avengers." And these superheroes are: Iron Man a.k.a. Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), The Incredible Hulk a.k.a. Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America a.k.a. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner). All the six superheroes gather up and try to stop Loki (Tom Hiddleston) from taking over the world.

MY THOUGHTS: I was extremely excited for The Avengers, ever since Thor came out last summer. After seeing all these Marvel superhero movies (Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger), I couldn't get more excited. I thought the trailers for this movie looked phenomenal, and I was predicting that this would be the first great movie of the summer.

So, did The Avengers live up to my expectations? Heck yeah! I thought The Avengers was an outstanding way to start off the summer movie season.

The action in The Avengers was absolutely exhilarating. I think this movie has some of the best action I had ever seen in a superhero/action movie, like Spider-Man 2. The visual style and the direction by Joss Whedon were spectacular. I have to admit the dialogue in this was more believable than the dialogue from other action films. The humor was more amusing than the humor in an actual comedy. This movie made everyone – including myself – laugh out loud at times. This movie never fails to entertain from start to finish.

THE ACTING: Like his performance as Tony Stark/Iron Man from the two Iron Man movies, Robert Downey, Jr. does an excellent job here. Mark Ruffalo was a very convincing Bruce Banner/Hulk. Now, at first, I was sort of disappointed that Edward Norton got dropped out of the role as Banner, but when I saw the movie, I was surprised about Mark Ruffalo in this movie. Like before, Chris Evans was great playing Captain America. Chris Hemsworth was really good playing Thor. Scarlett Johansson is beautiful – like always – playing a Marvel hero. Not only that, she was superb in her role as Black Widow. I actually want to see a spin-off of Black Widow. Jeremy Renner was quite good playing Hawkeye. Tom Hiddleston's portrayal of Loki is more effective in this movie than he was in Thor. Lastly, Samuel L. Jackson was excellent playing Nick Fury. He always does a great job in his movies.

IN CONCLUSION: Not only The Avengers is the best Marvel movie ever, it was also an outstanding way to start off the summer movie season. I highly recommend you go see this movie in theaters; trust me, it's definitely worth it.

Believe the Hype!!

Author: Stew Hall from United Kingdom
2 May 2012

I'm pretty sure I had a grin on my face the whole 2 hours and 20 minutes, including the 20 minutes I waited after the film to check that there wasn't a sneak peek after the credits. It's got a great great story, which is relatively true to the comics. Stan Lee MUST have had a lot of creative input into it. Really makes a difference. Shows why his comics have been around for almost 80 years.

Considering how many 'big' characters there are, the character development is fantastic. you really buy in to each of their personal agendas and feelings. The guy who plays the Hulk, is just incredible. Never seen him before, I don't think. He gives you the impression that he is a loaded gun that can crack at any point, fly of the handle and turn into this massive green smashing machine (which obviously he does). The tension is incredible. It's got laugh out loud moments liberally scattered throughout, that was making the whole cinema laugh. Most of them coming from either Robert Downy Jr, or weirdly enough, the Hulk.

I have to say I felt really comic book geeky as there was one line that only comic geeks would have got. I laughed and about 4 other people behind me laughed. Ironicially enough we were also the people that stayed until after the credits.

The last act has some of the best action sequences that have ever been put on film, period. The CGI, which there is a lot of, didn't feel like CGI. You are so engrossed and it is done so well, that you forget that it actually is CGI.

It certainly helps to have a grounding in the Marvel films that preceded it, but it's definitely not necessary. I have seen them all, so I can't be completely certain, but I think you'd do OK even if you haven't. There are some quick flashbacks and some expository dialogue about what's happened in the other films, enough to bring you up to a good enough level to get it, I think. Obviously it's better if you've seen them, though, so if you haven't yet, I highly recommend filling in the gaps. I would say that, in descending order of usefulness, you should see: Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, Iron Man, and The Incredible Hulk.. Adding to that, my girlfriend hasn't seen any of them, I thought she would just think it was a geeky film, but she LOVED it, I was shocked. So much so that we'll be watching Iron Man 1 and 2 at her suggestion.

I read loads of reviews saying that it is not worth watching in 3-D. I have to say, I completely disagree. There is a lot more they could have done with the 3-D element. For example, Hawkeye, with his arrows would be amazing, you know firing arrows at your face etc, but I prefer the subtle bits of 3-D when you do not even realise. When it doesn't distract you from the film. There are bits at the end of the last act, where there are bits of ash just floating about, in 3-D. Very subtle. Very Good.

There is a bit after the initial credits, so stay for a bit, not a lot of people will get the character they show, as it is not a familiar villain, but it does set up for a sequel, which will struggle to top this movie.

It is very rare that a movie lives up to the hype, especially for me, but this will be the movie of the year. Spiderman, Batman, will struggle to replicate the success, if they can, they will be amazing too.

It's the best superhero film ever made, that's not hyperbole.

Oh also Scarlett Johanson is in it and she is my favourite!

The Avengers- Best movie of the year so far. Fans salivate, non fans- prepare to get converted!

Author: Achyuta Ghosh from Gurgaon, India
27 April 2012

The elders say that two is company, anything more is just a crowd. Avengers shows a big fat middle finger to those learned folks of yore, and in the process easily sets the new benchmark for all epic action extravaganzas! With an ensemble star cast, a fast, witty script, thrilling action sequences, and masterful direction, it is the perfect superhero movie, one which will charm not only the nerdy fans, but also the uninitiated.

The Avengers project began over 6 years back, when Marvel first thought of bringing their superhero team on screen, but to give each hero a rightful back story they had to bring out the individual movies first. Each of them were characterized by action, humor and a certain degree of insaneness. The movies generated big bucks at the box office, but i always felt Marvel was holding back something- whether the grandness of plot, or the scale of action. This is what it was saving for, no holding back for the $220 million mother of all actioners, Avengers- 6 superheroes, one mental Norse God, a full scale alien invasion- this one has got it all.

The story picks up plot strands from the previous movies- Loki steals the Tesserect, a cube like artifact which is a source of great power, which he plans to use to open a portal through which his alien friends in skullcaps invade Earth. Post credit scenes in the older Marvel movies show that Nick Fury has been preparing for just one such rainy day- where the Earth will be "hilariously out gunned" and there will be the need for the individual superheroes to come together to fight as a team. To form an unbeatable squad, each superhero gets something to the table- Hulk brings the muscle, Captain America brings strategy, Ironman brings style and technology, Thor brings emotion along with Godlike fury, Hawkeye brings steely sincerity and Black Widow brings smoking-hot sexiness. But before they can take on Loki and his minions, they will have to get over their superhero sized egos and other intra heroic tensions so as to work together in a team. Much of the film's uproarious moments come due to the witty banter of the superheroes. The climactic showdown between the good guys and evil aliens might seem overdrawn and similar to the one in last year's Transformers- dark of the Moon, but is infinitely more enjoyable, each scene a joyous ode to the capabilities of this awesome fighting team, each sequence bettering the previous one.

The movie's biggest strength is its star cast- Robert Downey as Ironman, continues from where he left off in Ironman 2- "billionaire, playboy, genius, philanthropist"- he calls himself, as he lends sarcastic humor to an "oh so serious" group. Chris Evans as Captain America might wear a ridiculous stars and stripes costume but does what is required with utmost sincerity. Chris Hemsworth as Thor does a decent job in showing angst and turmoil, while Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Johansson as Hawkeye and Black Widow are serviceable as second rate heroes to the A-team.

However the scene stealers were Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk and Hiddleston's Loki. Ruffalo is probably the best Hulk to grace the silver screen, and while Edward Norton and Eric Bana played the role with intensity, Ruffalo plays him with a lot of self deprecating humor. Trust me, with or without pants, the Hulk will keep you in splits, but reserve your wolf whistles for the scene where the Hulk delivers the coup de grace to Loki. Loki's expression immediately after- priceless :) Speaking of whom, the star of the movie IS Loki- a superhero movie is as good or as bad as its villain (think Joker in the dark Knight or Doc Ock in Spiderman 2)- and in Avengers, Hiddleston plays Loki in a manner that man to man, he stands head and shoulders above the heroes. This Loki, like most super villains has a sinister, single point agenda- to rule the world, and in its quest he even manages to make a crowd of people kneel down to him, in of all places, Germany- not-so-long-ago home to one of the biggest megalomaniac in the history of the world. When Loki is captured and held in a glass cell, he gives a little bit of the Hannibal Lecter treatment to Scarlett.

You do a far better job if you love what you do, and director Joss Whedon is a certified geek, having written comics in addition to having directed two cult series. The biggest input that Joss Whedon brings, is to create an environment of impending doom without letting the audience get overworked with it- "hold on", he seems to say, "the solution is just round the corner"- it helps the movie not to take itself too seriously, unlike the DC Comic adaptations. Avengers is a celebrity jamboree of sorts, and yet Whedon manages to give each star his place, each character, his due Avengers weighs in at 146 minutes, but to his credit, Whedon keeps the pace snappy throughout, whenever things begin to sag, jokes, punchlines, and slam bam action sequences pop up to keep the party going strong.

To sum up, Avengers is a superlative effort. Mixing fantasy, science fiction, imagination, colorfully dressed he-men, this is the film Marvel fans have been waiting for ages- they took their time, but they delivered on all counts. This is a no holds barred, effects driven, mass appeal blockbuster par excellence, absurdly entertaining- these 146 minutes felt like an entire summer vacation in Asgard for geeks such as me, and will sure extend its magic to the non fans. There are so many characters, yet it never felt too many, production values are solid, the script engaging, with loads and loads of nonstop action. There are minor flaws, but this is THE SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER OF THE YEAR. Geeking out has never been so much fun.

The Avengers is okay, but not worth the hype.

Author: Bram Fieldsend from Harrogate, England
3 November 2013

When i sat down to watch the Avengers i had little if not any hope that i would enjoy it. But i was wrong, what happened when the film started was a collection of events that changed my "little hope" attitude into something much different. After the opening scene i was, to say the least, entertained. But, when i tasked myself with the painfully easy job of rating this film, all this film is...is entertainment. In a time of dazzling CGI and insanely fun action sequences, The Avengers lives up to the hype. But in a world of intriguing plot, immersing performances and emotional roller coaster rides, The Avengers is nothing but another Transformers movie. Let me elaborate.

Fans of the Marvel Comics will love this movie, because it does what it says on the tin, it effectively brings the heroes (not all of them, but some) together in a fist fight with a destructive foe. To a Marvel fan, this is gold. To a "film" fan, however, this movie is little more than a popcorn flick. People enjoying this movie is not my issue, i want people to enjoy movies, but when it comes to the rating systems on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes (etc) people have, wrongly, rated the Avengers near to the highest of all ratings. Films like the Godfather, ALIEN, Shane, Vertigo, Psycho, Blade Runner, Goodfellas, Jaws and many, many more films deserve the high rating because these are cinematic masterpieces. These are films which changed cinema, and have set the benchmark for all genres of today's films. But when i see The Avengers at the top of the ratings with them, it disgusts me. It should be rated fairly, on an accurate basis of how the film is crafted and the impact it makes, and for me it is a 4. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad movie. But, it is not a classic, nor by far a masterpiece, which renders most fans reviews redundant. People can love this movie, hell it can be there favorite movie of them all, but they need to understand it is nowhere near the Giants of cinema. Its not worth all the hype, but its fun. Its not a clever film (the themes have been done to death, and the twists are terrible) but its entertainment.

So, i bid you farewell.

The Avengers, a movie about six heroes and yet the villain is the most interesting character in it.

Author: soloriamagic08 from United States
28 August 2013

The Avengers,the story of a group of super-powered people (well some of them anyway) who are recruited by a secret agency to stop a threat that apparently one hero alone can't fight. Such lies.

Captain America,(Chris Evans)- the so called leader of the avengers. A nice person to the point of garystudom. He is one of the most boring characters in the movie. I watched the avengers for the first time a few months ago on Netflix, and Cap's origin movie was on there as well, and I tried to watch it but only got to the 30 minute mark and shut it off. I was bored to proverbial tears. I don't get the appeal. For me he has no presence and is as forgettable and boring as Hawkeye and Black Widow.

Ironman,(RDJ)- the real leader in my opinion. He seems to be the focus for most of the important plot points, and he is the one who untimely saves New-York. He just has a presence that the rest of them lacked. Where the heroes were concerned the movie was more like Ironman featuring the Avengers and I actually didn't have problem with that.Out of them all I loved his costume the most, and seeing him here has made me want to go out and see his origin movie and sequels.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth)- Thor is decent by himself, but the interest level really comes in when he's playing against Tom Hiddleston's Loki. Hemsworth and Hiddleston play well off each other. They have great chemistry and their love/hate brother dynamic is always fascinating to watch. This is a shame that this was barely touched on in Thor's own movie. Since to me the family dynamic is the meat of their stories. I loved watching their scenes in this movie (the little that we got to see of it) where we get to witness them bounce their dialogue and emotions off each other.

Thor as a character shines better when he is on his own planet. Or pretty much any planet not named Earth. It's like when he's on ours it nearly sucks out everything interesting about him.

Hawkeye( Jeremy Renner) and Black-Widow(Scarlett Johansson )- Two completely human characters fighting alongside super- powered people. Yea, really don't get that. They were wallpaper for me just like Captain America. When they were on screen it's like they were barely registering. I should not have a continuous question mark in my brain when it comes to a character.

Bruce Banner/The Hulk(MarkRuffalo)- I have never seen the hulk movies (apparently there are a fair few) or the TV show. My first foray into this character was in this movie. He is nervous and twitchy, but generally a nice person and I think Ruffalo pulled that off nicely.Then he turns into the Hulk…. I didn't like the Hulk. He's too godlike for one thing. Same problem I have with Thor and his kind. It takes the emotional stakes out of the character if it's pretty impossible for them to die. He also acts like an animal. Also not a fan of obvious CGI characters (huge green ones at that) being mains and running around with actual real people. It's very jarring in a bad way. I also don't think a full-blown movie works for him. His character works better in an ensemble or even better not part of the cast at all. As for the Bruce part of him well we already have a genius level scientist. Don't really need two. Overall I didn't enjoy the hulk and wanted him off my screen.

Loki (Tom Hiddleston) - the main villain who pretty much took over the movie by his first scene on down. Like in his co-origin movie 'Thor' he is a true scene stealer. I loved watching him. Hiddleston is a treasure to watch act this character out. If the academy wasn't such stuck- ups about fantasy/sci-fi movies I truly think he deserved an Oscar for his portrayal in this and the first 'Thor' movie. His acting for Loki is just brilliant.

However, no amount of scene stealing acting is going to erase that Whedon pretty much destroyed his overall character. He went from a sympathetic villain in 'Thor' to a complete monster punch line in this one. The tone of this movie wasn't serious enough in the first place with Whedon thinking he had to make everyone be a walking comedian, but I will never understand the logic of making your villain be the silliest thing in the movie.Sadly that is exactly what Whedon did. Loki was a pathetic villain.

He took a great character and made him into a joke. The last straw though was not the constant beat downs and jokes at his expense, but an encounter with one of the avengers toward the end of the movie. Loki as a villain had officially went into ludicrous territory at that point. However, what saved him as a character for me was no matter how silly his dialogue sounded at points, or how many times he kissed pavement, or just how overall ridiculous he was as a villain, Hiddleston acted his butt off as Loki. I couldn't take my eyes off the character. All I wish is that Loki from now on stays in the 'Thor' movies and that Joss Whedon doesn't get to touch the character ever again.

In summary the movie's tone was to comedic. It was like whedon was writing for the next bada bing instead of great emotional character moments. The dialogue was more cheesy and cliché then not.The CGI looked dated.There was no real emotional punch. I just didn't care if they lived or died. Although It wasn't like they were in any real danger of that happening in the first place since the movie overall lacked believable tension,and the villain was well acted but really pathetic as one.

If you're already a fan you'll love it, if not it's yet another well crafted superhero CGI flick

Author: secondtake from United States
26 May 2013

The Avengers (2012)

First: this is high energy stuff with lots of superhero fighting. Lots. Beyond that I had to pick and choose what I liked and what seemed to be dragged out a bit. It was never slow, but it was often a bit uninteresting.

the real downside to the movie was, well, the plot, which had yet another super huge super awful enemy that required our local team to go out and find a way to conquer. It never really mattered why these bad people were coming (though they do explain why, with a spacey glowing cube and Thor's half-brother having some childhood issues unresolved). The set design, however, was really ambitious, not only with the huge scenes and big CGI effects, but the range and diversity of interiors with a deliberate variety of styles that related to the different characters. And some of the actors and actresses were terrific to watch, even if they didn't really have much to say or do that mattered (besides save the world, of course).

If this sounds like I'm not cut out of this type of movie you are mostly wrong. I have loved, for example, the three Nolan "Batman" movies, a couple of the "Spiderman" ones, and a few oddballs here and there, all of which work on some of the same principles of super villain and a modified New York (Gotham, etc.) as a city of resilient victims to save.

Small (relevant) confession: I loved the Iron Man movies and never saw any of the other Marvel character movies like the Hulk. In this all-star get together of a half dozen famous super-heroes I naturally loved the Iron Man parts and was neutral on the rest. Mostly because Robert Downey Jr. is a huge cut above the others of the cast in presence, in humor, in making the whole enterprise a comic book come to life, not a serious save-the-world epic. By contrast, the leader of the bad guys is a wan, half-hearted baddie who didn't create the chills or fear the movie badly needed.

As a movie of characters taken from various Marvel comic book (and movie) series, it was how fully the characters were realized that made the difference. Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk was pretty great, though restrained a bit. The Black Widow in the hands of Scarlett Johansson was stunning to look at but also weirdly restrained (except the fighting of course). Thor was a bore, taking his old school power thing too too seriously. And Captain America, though a likable, cute guy, was also a bad casting job--he had to do more than look good (unlike, say, Gwyneth Paltrow, who simply had to look good since she unfortunately had nothing much to say or do).

You'll know if this movie is your thing before you read this or see a trailer. It's a boiler plate super hero action movie with lots of computer effects and a standard villain from the universe menace. (The computer effects, like these skeletal ocean monsters swimming through Manhattan wrecking lots of buildings, are actually, surprisingly, a bit clunky once you start watching the details.)

Overall, director and writer Joss Whedon seems a bit overwhelmed here, and has co-written a predictable bit of very expensive contemporary Hollywood stuff and then directed it without quite making it special. Or surprising. I mean, even Samuel L. Jackson is stiff and preachy. The movie has its moments for sure, but that's not enough. Disappointing.