IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 162: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Disappointing

Author: fisheric26 from United States
28 September 2012

With all the positive reviews and word-of-mouth about this movie (not to mention the box office receipts) I went into this movie expecting to be wowed. I'm talking wowed along the lines of what I was having left the theater the first time I saw The Dark Knight. I waited and waited and waited. I was never wowed.

Now, this wasn't a bad movie by any means - it just didn't come anywhere close to being as good as it was advertised. Iron Man and the Hulk were scene-stealers, Hawkeye, Capt. America and Black Widow were OK and every time Thor had to utter a line, it made me want to cringe (his character was so overacted by Chris Hemsworth). But most disappointing of all, the villain was a total wimp - not scary, not menacing and not cool whatsoever. (Not to mention the regurgitated plot lines: alien takeover, yeah didn't see that in the final Transformers installment; Loki being captured, wasn't that part of the Joker's plan in TDK?; etc) Overall, not a bad movie - but lower your expectations. It's fun and entertaining, but not a whole lot else.

Avengers Why Bother?

Author: rchalloner from France
18 February 2013

I find it hard to believe that a film which was mostly made on a computer has such a high average rating. Does anyone care anymore that so little effort and imagination goes into film making? Avengers is 95% CGI, with a plot that is staggering in it's stupidity and unoriginality. Two of the so-called 'super-heroes' have no 'super' qualities at all - unless having funny coloured eyes and firing souped-up arrows or running around in a tight spandex suit showing lots of cleavage and pouting a lot qualify as super powers. All Black Widow does is what Emma Peel did 45 years ago - and half as well, i.e. kick ass. Even worse, the two best and most interesting Marvel characters, Iron Man and Hulk are reduced to mindless morons smashing their way through the enemy and without any attempt at the characterization that previous films did at least endeavour to give them. Every scene and plot twist is utterly predictable, the special effects are boring and the only thing to admire is Samuel L. Jackson'e uncanny ability to find high grossing movie trash to take a stroll through, without making the least effort, and pick up a fat cheque at the other end. Now THAT IS a super power.

A Big Super Hero Fan Setup

Author: hardcoreconkerfan26 from United States
18 January 2013

This movie was simply 6 letter's in 1 word, "Boring". Why you may ask? Well, it's best to start from the beginning.

I was expecting a great movie featuring several different superhero in 1 screen, I was so hyped that I got as many friends as I can to see it but some couldn't go so I only invited a few. God the movie was so hyped that there was a huge line and I mean huge and all of those people were gonna go see the same film that I was gonna see. So once I walked in and waited for almost 20 minutes for the movie to start, that is when the big disappointment began. Such a boring introduction and lame character revilement. No creativity, no second thought, no built up, nothing. Feels more like an introduction to Jersey Shore and Transformers than an actual Marvel Film. But I got to admit, the begging scene where Thor's brother appears reminds me of halo (atleast the first one) so that's pretty cool but too bad the scene itself sucked no matter what. The other negatives that made this film a disappointment is the lack of any real character imitations. Thor brother was the prime example of this along with the childish predictable jokes you hear from them. The acting and written for Thor's brother was pathetic and pointless that without he's mighty powers he's nothing but a wimp or the actor himself was just a wimp from the beginning. He looks to be about 50 years old and doesn't resemble any appears of Thor what's so ever, all they do is just put on the costume and that's it. So what about the clichéd jokes I mentioned? Well, there stupid, childish, out of place for a movie that is suppose to be quality entertainment (then again it was terrible and nothing new) and once you hear the first joke, you will automatically know that all the jokes will be the same kind of thing threw out the whole movie. I will admit that I did laugh at some moments but it struck me to be unpleasant and very lazy for a movie like this or any other. In fact, I was so bored and unpleased that I wanted to leave right when black widow appears cause it was so boring. But I didn't cause I wouldn't want to hurt my friends's feeling's that I invited them to a movie and wanted to leave once we began watching it. So I stayed and watched the rest of the movie. It took about half of the movie just so all of heroes can appear and an interesting note I might add is that Edward Norton who played as Bruce Banner in the incredible hulk (2008) was replaced when I was expecting him to be in it. So I was disappointed with that cause he was great as Bruce Banner. The ending climates with the avengers and Thor's Brother was lame as well. Sure some of the action is cool but some other action scence suck and it used special/sound effects from transformers and that sucks. When I think of action from the avengers I would predict it to be Dragon Ball Z without energy waves or teleportation. But no it just felt dull. So, what I did I really think of the movie overall? Well, to put it short and bluntly this is what I said in my mind when the movie ended "THIS MOVIE SUCKED!!! WHAT A SETUP FROM MARVEL TO DISGRACE SUCH HEROES THAT WERE GOOD TILL THIS MOVIE CAME OUT! MARVEL MUST OF KNEW THAT A WHOLE BUNCH OF MARVEL FANBOYS WERE GONNA GO SEE THIS MOVIE CAUSE IT HAD THEIR FAVORITE HEROES IN ONE BIG SCREEN! NOT A SECOND THOUGHT ON HOW IT WILL PLAY OUT, ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS WHO'S IN IT?! Wow, what a waste of money and time I wasted on such a worthless movie like this. FIRST THEY RUINED SPIDERMAN AND NOW THIS?! WHAT A SETUP!." That's how I really felt like when I finished watching this movie. And you want to know what was the saddest part about it is?! A bunch of people said it was amazing and the best movie of the year! B******! Worst movie of the year you mean! And worst super hero movie I've ever seen in general. I recommend you all take my advice and don't waste your time on such dread cause it's not worth it. Don't Listen to what to the people who liked this movie cause they're only saying it cause there just so depended on Marvel that they think anything with their superhero will be good. At this point and on I don't really like Marvel at all anymore. The Avengers ruined it for me. Time to official move on to DC like everyone else would do. And the ones who haven't, wake up and see reality that your pointless Marvel Heroes are Zeros. My god this movie was so Bad when I think about it I feel embarrassed that I sat down and really watched the whole movie and didn't leave right when I felt like going to sleep like everyone else would. But I give this movie a 3/10 just because the beginning reminded me of Halo. But besides that the movie itself was so incredible boring and very unoriginal, don't forget it was predictable too. In fact when I was watching half of the movie I completely forget what the plot was really about. Another thing is that the movie feels more like a sequel to Thor than actual teamed up superhero movie. So, don't see The Avengers but go watch The Dark Knight Rises instead. That was a far better movie than The Avengers. Thanks for reading and I hope you take my advice. Good Bye, Your gonna need it.

a very good superhero movie

Author: hr-boege-546-170392 from Denmark
19 December 2012

first of all, i didn't watch that many superhero movies, so i sadly don't know much about the different characters and their universes. but i like the idea of bringing them all together in a single movie, and for me it works. the whole concept is a great idea, and the story is really good and exciting. i also love the effects, and the different characters that are thrown together. i also love that it portrays superheroes with different strengths, but also their weaknesses. they aren't portrayed as superhuman, as you could expect, they all have many things to learn, and their flaws. so what more can i say, (as a guy that don't know anything about marvels universes), else than it is really recommendable, and it deserves top score.

Silly

Author: garyarcher43 from Cambodia
21 October 2012

Boy, am I in trouble. Because I thought it was just plain silly.

Maybe it's because I haven't seen Thor. Because I found Tom Hiddleston so ludicrously miscast as Loki that I couldn't maintain suspension of disbelief.

First, this deity who arrives in an awesome burst of netherworld energy, and carries a scepter capable of slaying whole armies, has to escape sitting awkwardly in the back of a pickup truck for God's sake. And then when he stands up in his silly horned costume and tells a crowd of people to kneel to him, his complete lack of gravitas in the role just set me laughing.

I couldn't watch it after that.

So overrated...

Author: blueismycue from United States
19 October 2012

The absolute only reason I would give this movie a rating of three is because the visual effects weren't terrible. In all honesty, I had no intention of ever seeing it, but because my father bought it, I watched it. And winced all the way through.

Now, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a fan of darker comic adaptations, and I'm certainly not an expert on The Avengers in general, but in my opinion this was one of the most obnoxious comic adaptations I've ever seen. Quite a long list of specific grievances here: Loki's character was laughably dramatic. Everything was overwhelmingly loud (explosions; hello), the acting (with Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo being exceptions) was sub-par at best, and the few weak attempts at humor literally had me putting my hands over my face out of embarrassment for the writers. I won't even go into the blatant discrepancies between the comics and the film. It was just so... so bad.

Basically, this is one of those movies that's really, really horrible, but everyone wants to believe it's good because of the anticipation buildup, and it's aimed at the idiots who don't actually care about comics or characters but are stupid enough to act like they know everything about them after they see it. I'm angry with the film industry for this one, although, sadly, it turned out to be exactly what I expected: a money maker. That's all it is. If you're looking for any talent, honor, or artistic merit, you won't find it here, folks. Just a lot of explosions.

Loud, Long, 110% Special Effects

Author: gradyharp from United States
30 September 2012

Has the global situation grown so bleak that the populace has regressed to comic books for escapism entertainment? Judging by the enormous popularity of everything cinematic based on superheroes and sci-fi extravaganzas I suppose the answer is 'Yes!' To sit in one place for an excess of 2 ½ hours and witness the destruction derby that is the apocalyptic bad guys (in the form of a light spear carrying Loki (Tom Hiddleston) against Samuel L. Jackson's SHIELD cast of make-believe folks - Robert Downey, Jr in armor, Chris Evans in his Captain America Halloween costume, Mark Ruffalo unconvincingly transforming into the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as hammer wielding Thor, Scarlett Johansson as a pretty Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye all out to make life sustainable for the leasers like Stellan Skarsgård, Clark Gregg, and Colbie Smulders - is a feat in itself.

For movies of this type this one has more color and imaginative loco devices that most and therefore I suppose it remains at the top of the heap. When will these characters run out of tales? The answer likely is 'When the movie public stops ling up for these epics.'

Grady Harp

Most overrated movie of all time

Author: cyasin95 from United States
28 August 2012

The movie was absolute trash. Horrible scripts, least menacing villain ever, no chemistry between the actors, and mundane story line. The movie was immensely over hyped and definitely does not deserve anything near a 8.5 rating. Its alright as a kids movie. It does not come anywhere near the unprecedented standards set by the dark knight or for that matter does not even come close to spiderman 2. The movie is often commended for its humor. In my opinion the humor is extremely dry and futile. Nothing special at all, despite its box office success it would have been better off as an animated movie. So if you want watch at least a decent super hero flick you might as well pick up Watchmen, X-men first class, Spider man 1 or 2 and of course the batman trilogy.

The most overrated bad movie of all time

Author: pimentel9
27 March 2013

This movie is retarded. Humanity must have seriously degraded if people consider this piece of crap the best of the best in cinema. I can't believe this movie is just two points away from the same rating for scarface. That movie was awesome, not this piece of crap. I think the movie order should go like this; #1 The Godfather, #2 Scarface, #3 Star Wars Episode VI Return Of The Jedi, #4 Alien, #5 Titanic. Those movies are legendary, but this movie? This movie is no where near legendary. I would rate this movie a zero but since i can't pick that i guess i'll go with one star. This movie has the most predictable plot ever, to sum it up it goes like this; bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, cheesy dialogue cheesy dialogue, bam boom bam boom, the end. The dialogue is some of the corniest crap in film history. Batman And Robin was corny and stupid, but at least it was tolerable with Arnold's witty one-liners. The scenes that were supposed to be funny made me gag and the scenes that were supposed to be serious made me burst out laughing at how stupid they were. Seriously, the stupidity never ends; from iron man fighting thor for absolutely no reason, to nick fury shooting a plane carrying an atomic bomb....with a bazooka. The plane is carrying an atomic bomb and your idea to stop it is to shoot it? Seriously?!!!???!? Don't watch this movie it's stupid and if your a huge avengers fan it will be an even bigger disappointment; if you want to watch a good marvel movie watch spider-man 2, that movie deserves an 8.3 rating, not this kid-friendly nonsense.

garbage

Author: fkkemble from Bowen Island, Canada
26 October 2012

WHY-WAS-EVERYONE-SPEAKING-SO-SLOWLY-? DO- THEY - ALL -HAVE- A -SPEECH- IMPEDIMENT? This is a ghastly movie, the worst I have ever (partially) watched. I read the reviews for Prometheus which was not flawless but it was powerful and contained some outstanding imagery and it actually scored lower than this ( The Avengers) odious piece of crap. The acting was extraordinarily bad, the dialogue so witless and dim that it defies belief. I watched the first hour but was in danger of vomiting with disgust at any moment and so turned it off. Scarlet Johansen is a classy actress, what was she thinking, also Gwyneth Paltrow? Robert Downey Junior is a great actor who seems to always play in dumb movies- he's worth more than than. I heard good things abut this movie- what have we come to that people rate this garbage as entertainment?