IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 159: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Not impressed.

Author: spud772 from Australia
23 December 2013

Was not impressed. Wouldn't go as far to say it was as bad as Transformers 2 and 3 but it was aiming to be.

Story wise it was a piece of crap. Typical good vs bad. Acting not so good. The only thing that was protecting these flaws was the special effects. Buildings fell, things blew up, blah blah blah.

The end of the movie was meant to be epic but it was very underwhelming. I was thinking that this was meant to be an advanced alien race. I also thought that Cpt America was meant to be a badass but it turns out he wears pyjamas not chainmail.

It was memorable... only because it was so disappointing.

Surprisingly entertaining but overrated tripe

Author: Ruiz Manalo
6 September 2013

Solid movie? Yes. By the numbers? Absolutely. Not daring, original, or unique story wise in any way. This is not a classic but glad 80% of people think it's the new Godfather apparently.

Good for them but not for the future of film making which is now more about CGI wowing & explosions behind CGI superheroes.

Acting is solid, characters are interesting enough, but they did not bring anything NEW to this franchise that we already know so well from previous films. Generic bad guys who all die at the same time like it's Star Wars Episode I? Are you kidding me? And a bunch of hardcore superheroes and...a woman with a pistol and a guy with a bow-&-arrow who wears a leotard? This is laughable but apparently our current audiences take this s h i t seriously. Whatever, seriously.

Seriously? 8.2?

Author: Mimi Mish
5 August 2013

So: Get as many superheroes as you can, put them into THE most obvious cliché superhero story that ever existed, add some hot girls (including aunt Robin from that unfunny show that's kind of like Friends) and, of course, super cool special effect and you can be assured that the 13 year old kids on IMDb will make sure it has the same rating as On the Waterfront, The Deer Hunter and Pan's Labyrinth.

Maybe Nolan proved that superhero movies can be much more than a display of how much money you put into special effects, but this is exactly that. This is as predictable and as unoriginal as it gets. But of course, putting a bunch of superheroes together and bringing a bunch of fan bases together and making a bunch of money along the way was a genius idea. And pretty much the only one.

I liked it. I've seen it like three times

Author: ttrabue-106-208742 from United States
30 July 2013

I just keep renting it. And I watch my favorite scenes over and over again each time I do. It's delightfully funny. I like these people. I like this story. I love with that Romanoff girl. Mark Ruffalo is great. He is just great. It's balanced. It cannot be easy to portray superheroes but they pull it off. You know they must be up against green screens but I believed it. The writing is fantastic. I can quote lines. My friends can quote lines. Everyone has a favorite scene. I have second third and fourth favorites. It's fast paced but you get to know the characters. I want Hollywood to know if I don't care about the characters I don't care what happens to them. I have almost no memory of "The Grifters", because yuck. I like movies with nice characters. And it's colorful. Did you see "The Ledge" it is so drab they could have saved money and filmed it in black and white. You're stuck in Baton Rouge, dude just jump, gees. Did you see "Cloud Atlas" visually spectacular. That's all it's got and still I'd give it about a six.

There's nothing of value, at all..

Author: Adam Andersson from Sweden
4 July 2013

I know a lot of friends who really liked this movie and happily I also know some friends that didn't like it at all, just as me. When I first saw it (not in the cinema obviously, knew it would be a waste of money) I thought there at least would be some fun scenes with Tony Stark or some epic fighting-scene, but they never came. So the acting's dull, the fighting-scenes are lame and the music is awful, but the biggest problem of the all must be the lack of tension in this movie. As you watch the movie you'll know exactly how the end's gonna be like and that no important character at all will die.

Usually I'm able to see superhero movies over and over again but I've only seen this movie once and a half, that's how boring it really is.

Great effects wasted on a kindergarten movie

Author: lionhrt from United States
29 June 2013

I really enjoyed the earlier ones but this was really dumbed down.

With very little effort they could have made this a great movie.

You cannot defy laws of physics in special effects or it becomes completely 5 year old cartoon nonsense. That is the problem here.

Be logical with the scenes instead of being lazy. The graphics capability is there so don't cheapen it my taking short cuts.

It distracts from the entire movie.

That, and great effects mixed in with the most primitive of video overdubbing. In many scenes you can plainly see the backdrop with people standing in front of it. You'd think you were watching a 1940s film with overdubbing ... geeesh.

Come on, do it right or don't do it at all.

A Huge Budget Flop

Author: nickcoppola000-722-714530 from Australia
26 June 2013

This is one movie that i went into with really low standards, but i was sadly still disappointed. There's no story line, a terrible script, Annoying Characters and Pointless endless hoards of enemies who what to kill everyone like usual (for some reason). The Special effects are alright, but that's to be expected as they have the budget for it. But to be honest, the only thing that kept me watching this major disappointment was Scarlett Johansson in that tight costume. That's IT! That's simply not enough for a huge blockbuster that was supposed to unite all of these massive superhero movies of late. Don't waste your time with this movie. (I will just add that this movie isn't as bad as Captain America or Thor both of which i walked out of)

Yet another mediocre superhero film

Author: meierjos26
27 May 2013

Joss Whedon's Avengers is ambitious. It has an incredible cast, with Tom Hiddleston, Robert Downy Jr. and Mark Ruffalo particularly shining. It also has some of the best use of computer animation in film history, with George Lucas's Industrial Light and Magic recreating almost all of New York City and digitally destroying it. They also create Hulk, a character with so much emotion and such detailed textures that at moments it's unbelievable how good it looks.

The unfortunate thing about The Avengers, though, is that it's boring, REALLY boring. Not too much happens until about an hour in where we're reminded it's a superhero film by a very forced fight scene between RDJ's metal suited flying Iron Man, Chris Evan's patriotic Cpt. America, and the muscular Chris Hemsworth as the holy Thor. The jokes fall flat, with Whedon's best quip being a LOLSORANDOM joke about food (Shwarma) which leads to an underwhelming post-credits scene.

Also while the computer generated imagery in this film is good, the film relies far too heavily on it. Whedon should take notes from director Christopher Nolan, who created the equally average Dark Knight trilogy, but made them without making them seem overly artificial with CGI.

The Avengers has some entertainment value, but mostly falls flat. I can't really recommend it to anyone who isn't a fan of the other films in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, but for those who do enjoy the series, this film will certainly please you.

Cheap plot, but good action scenes though

Author: kris_zack23 from Indonesia
5 May 2013

The plot is very bad and very predictable, this is just a regular comic book movie with a great action scenes and CGI. But the story messed it all. Loki as the main villain is very bad. He didn't look as great as Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight The Avengers kinda focused only on Iron Man. It should be called Iron Man and Friends. Hawkeye and Black Widow need a bigger role. The Hulk pants doesn't really logical isn't it? Joss Whedon screw this movie. It doesn't come up to my expectations even though everybody calling it a very good movie. Captain America and Thor fight should be won easily by Thor, it doesn't really make sense how Cap could be evenly strong as Thor. The ending is bad too. Are you serious right now, Joss Whedon? Waking Iron Man up with a scream from The hulk?

Terrible, worthless, piece of trash

Author: badgertv0
2 May 2013

Why are critics digging this movie for everything good in it, because it's vice versa for every other movie out there. Usually, critics bash movies for their mistakes a blind spots that ruin the movies, why not here? I can name over ten things that make this movie so bad! Comedy, in the end of the world, are you kidding me? Loki, a villain, for six people, are you kidding me?! Iron Man is way too perfect, as he is in every movie there is! Black Widow is a pathetic excuse for heroine. Along with Hawkeye, who even Jenner said wasn't good at all, was the worst character of 2012, and yes, I did see most of the movies from the 2012 area. This movies is nothing but a generic version of Batman Begins, and I say that one rather than Nolan's other two because, frankly, in my opinion, saying this a generic version of The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises would make me go to hell for bad respect towards some of the best movies ever. Why can't Marvel fix their villain problems, Mandarin was terrible in Iron Man 3, especially that terrible twist. Anyways, I could continue, but you get my point. Hulk had no veins, this movie was cut from 3 to 2 hours, and if it would have been 3 hours, it would have gotten me to give it a ten out of ten stars. Sorry if you take this as a lecture, I'm just listing why I did not like this movie.