IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 165: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

We get it - animation is here to stay, and so are the stereotypes

Author: Syvog Tres from Denmark
9 September 2013

First the positive side of things: People eat bread, so somebody has to bake bread. People drive cars, so somebody has to manufacture cars. Peolpe watch movies, so somebody has to make movies. Good for them. Now for the actual review: If watching train wrecks is one of your favorite hobbies AND if you are generally star struck, this movie is a must-see. The entire plot is a lot of nice computer animations covering over a veritable train wreck of predictable - yet quite often inexplicable - events, actions, and cheesy comments. And the cast is eminent - if celebrity and not exercised talent is the 2012 definition of eminence. A Danish movie director who has had fair success in Hollywood was once asked what it took artistically to make a blockbuster movie. His answer: "Understand that the average viewer is male, 12 years old, and moderately gifted. And understand that there has to be something good, something bad, something awesome, and something pretty. The rest is less significant." Well, this movie has it all, here are some examples of the stereotypes: Heroes=good. Aliens=bad. Fighting=awesome. Scarlett=pretty. If you don't want to spend an hour and a half getting stupider, go watch 3 episodes of Friends, The King of Queens, or something else which is at least mediocre. And my final comments: Shame on you, Samuel; Shame on you, Robert; Shame on you, Gwyneth; Shame on you, rest of cast.

Comic Book Heroes

Author: jfarms1956 from United States
7 April 2013

This movie is meant for those 8 and up. It is also meant for those who like SciFi Fantasy. The Avengers, a group of single comic book heroes, get together to save the world from Lokki. Samuel Jackson, the head of the Earth's protective forces, plays his role well. The characters are shallow, but let's face it, it's comic book time. It is fast paced and contains interesting toys and gadgets. It works as a great party movie. I loved the sets, the colors, and the characters, all in one film. Thor even comes to the rescue. All in all, the movie is very entertaining and is well worth its greater than 2 hour booty killer time. Get a bowl of pop corn and a group of friends, turn this movie into a SciFi party. I give it 5 thumbs up.

Ehh-- not good.

Author: darknezzx-594-586065 from USA
28 January 2013

Not very good- loosely based on the comic. Character development is poorly done. All these characters just meet and then get to know so much about each other in so short amount of time. External information about the "bad guy" is learned to quickly. How can you tell his habits if he has only just been introduced to you a few hours ago..? I was really looking forward to this movie, heard so many good things, but it was a total bust. ANDDD.. the amount of info known about the Hulk before they even meet is a lot- like the security guard when he falls down. This is prefect for a comic- but bad movie adaptation. More time would be needed for the development and information to make sense accordingly.

Disappointing

Author: fisheric26 from United States
28 September 2012

With all the positive reviews and word-of-mouth about this movie (not to mention the box office receipts) I went into this movie expecting to be wowed. I'm talking wowed along the lines of what I was having left the theater the first time I saw The Dark Knight. I waited and waited and waited. I was never wowed.

Now, this wasn't a bad movie by any means - it just didn't come anywhere close to being as good as it was advertised. Iron Man and the Hulk were scene-stealers, Hawkeye, Capt. America and Black Widow were OK and every time Thor had to utter a line, it made me want to cringe (his character was so overacted by Chris Hemsworth). But most disappointing of all, the villain was a total wimp - not scary, not menacing and not cool whatsoever. (Not to mention the regurgitated plot lines: alien takeover, yeah didn't see that in the final Transformers installment; Loki being captured, wasn't that part of the Joker's plan in TDK?; etc) Overall, not a bad movie - but lower your expectations. It's fun and entertaining, but not a whole lot else.

Avengers Why Bother?

Author: rchalloner from France
18 February 2013

I find it hard to believe that a film which was mostly made on a computer has such a high average rating. Does anyone care anymore that so little effort and imagination goes into film making? Avengers is 95% CGI, with a plot that is staggering in it's stupidity and unoriginality. Two of the so-called 'super-heroes' have no 'super' qualities at all - unless having funny coloured eyes and firing souped-up arrows or running around in a tight spandex suit showing lots of cleavage and pouting a lot qualify as super powers. All Black Widow does is what Emma Peel did 45 years ago - and half as well, i.e. kick ass. Even worse, the two best and most interesting Marvel characters, Iron Man and Hulk are reduced to mindless morons smashing their way through the enemy and without any attempt at the characterization that previous films did at least endeavour to give them. Every scene and plot twist is utterly predictable, the special effects are boring and the only thing to admire is Samuel L. Jackson'e uncanny ability to find high grossing movie trash to take a stroll through, without making the least effort, and pick up a fat cheque at the other end. Now THAT IS a super power.

a very good superhero movie

Author: hr-boege-546-170392 from Denmark
19 December 2012

first of all, i didn't watch that many superhero movies, so i sadly don't know much about the different characters and their universes. but i like the idea of bringing them all together in a single movie, and for me it works. the whole concept is a great idea, and the story is really good and exciting. i also love the effects, and the different characters that are thrown together. i also love that it portrays superheroes with different strengths, but also their weaknesses. they aren't portrayed as superhuman, as you could expect, they all have many things to learn, and their flaws. so what more can i say, (as a guy that don't know anything about marvels universes), else than it is really recommendable, and it deserves top score.

So overrated...

Author: blueismycue from United States
19 October 2012

The absolute only reason I would give this movie a rating of three is because the visual effects weren't terrible. In all honesty, I had no intention of ever seeing it, but because my father bought it, I watched it. And winced all the way through.

Now, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a fan of darker comic adaptations, and I'm certainly not an expert on The Avengers in general, but in my opinion this was one of the most obnoxious comic adaptations I've ever seen. Quite a long list of specific grievances here: Loki's character was laughably dramatic. Everything was overwhelmingly loud (explosions; hello), the acting (with Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo being exceptions) was sub-par at best, and the few weak attempts at humor literally had me putting my hands over my face out of embarrassment for the writers. I won't even go into the blatant discrepancies between the comics and the film. It was just so... so bad.

Basically, this is one of those movies that's really, really horrible, but everyone wants to believe it's good because of the anticipation buildup, and it's aimed at the idiots who don't actually care about comics or characters but are stupid enough to act like they know everything about them after they see it. I'm angry with the film industry for this one, although, sadly, it turned out to be exactly what I expected: a money maker. That's all it is. If you're looking for any talent, honor, or artistic merit, you won't find it here, folks. Just a lot of explosions.

I hated it

Author: v-biketov from United States
22 November 2012

I had very high expectations for this movie, after seeing that it got > 8.5/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. Needless to say, this movie was a disaster. 65% of the movie was full of them talking about how they are going to "kick some ass" while the other 35% was them actually doing the deed. This movie's ending was very predictable and was like every other superhero movie ever created. I can not imagine why someone would give this terrible film a rating greater than 1/10.

Bad Pitiful Terrible Horrible

Special effects for special people.

Author: musback from Antwerp, Belgium
27 August 2012

Where to start. Me and my wife watched this movie yesterday, to forget about the drama called 'battleship' (don't get me started.) But it's hard to choose the most retarded movie between the two. This one had some okay jokes in it, but like many people said: you don't feel any threat, you don't feel any story, you just see special effects and "UHMERICA F* YAA" 2hrs straight. The effects were good, and the Hulk smashed like he never smashed before, but every movie starts sucking as soon as you realize nobody of the good guys can actually die. (Lord Of the rings anyone?) and when legions of 10x more bad-ass alien monsters are killed throwing a chair at them or blind-aimed headshotting them with a bow on a spaceship going 300mph, you know you're just wasting your time. Anybody with the very least amount of self-respect, stay away from this movie, How this garbage achieved to get 8.6 on IMDb is more entertaining for me than watching that movie. Says a lot about IMDb and what it has become compared to what it used to be.

Could be worse

Author: geremii from Lithuania
23 May 2012

If you honestly love one of those heroes (Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man or Thor), this movie is will be a pleasure for you. However, if you want to see The Avengers because of thrilling special effects or tense action, you will be disappointed.

First 2/3 of the movie is constant talking and staring at each other followed with cliché super-hero-type lines and couple of fights between each other. If not R. Downey's Iron Man and his sense of humor it would be a pure pain. I don't know if it was because of too salty popcorns or because of lack of action on the screen, but after an hour of watching it I became really, really bored. I'd bet on the latter, however... :)

The last ~1/5 of The Avengers is the battle in NYC. Fight scenes, humour, and CG looks pretty good. However, there is slight feeling that everything was just too easy. In any way you shouldn't search for logic in these type of movies - there isn't any.

Bottom line: Good for fans, average for everyone else. But 8.7 - you have to be kidding!