IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 174: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Highly Recommended

Author: Lara Holden (laraholden123@gmail.com) from Ireland
31 May 2014

Marvel's Avengers Assemble was an absolutely fantastic film. It was great how they pulled all the different movies and their secrets and put them into the one film. Each actor played their part to their best and I was gripping my seat at every turn. There was a lot of emotions in the movie including humour, sadness and suspense; one minute you would be crying and the next, laughing!

This is a great movie for the whole family but I would advise that you watch the other superhero movies first, as it would be hard to follow otherwise.

11 out of 10 from me, can't wait for Avengers 2!

So awesomely amazingly epic there are no words to describe.

Author: Lissie Yard from United Kingdom
12 December 2013

When I first watched this, I had never really been that into Marvel films so I didn't really know what was what. I hadn't previously watched Iron man, Iron man 2, Thor or any hulk movie. So I do suggest watching them first.

But when I did watch it, I was so totally mind blown by the pure amazement in how awesome this film was that I became a right Marvel nerd...

Marvel's Avengers Assembel I one of the most amazing films I have ever seen in my life and would definitely suggest watching it. This movie makes the most awesome gift and would make anyone smile.

Avengers Who?

Author: Brittany-Jurczyk
18 November 2012

The Avengers was a fantastic movie bringing all the Marvel movies together seamlessly. This is what I may have said if I'd ever seen or read anything Marvel in my life. Now, I realize this isn't the movie or producers fault, I'm just speaking for myself who happens to be utterly ignorant and oblivious to the world of comics in general. To start out the movie, I was happily surprised to think I was following the movie without any background knowledge. Suddenly I came to the realization that I was mistaken, being thrown into some sort of futuristic space ship setting. I was continuously introduced to new characters that didn't have character development as I was expected to be read up on that information before hand. The importance of the characters and their role in the movie tended to be a roller coaster ride. At the beginning, Scarlett Johansson grabbed my attention and stole the movie with everything she had to offer to the action side of the movie. She even took on 3 men without a blink. Somewhere along the line she ends up standing in the shadows without much to offer until the ending scenes. Chris Hemsworth's role in the film seems lost to me as well. The back and forth between helping Loci and wanting to take him down seems almost as if he's lost on which side to take. This was distracting to me. As a whole, the characters were interesting, however didn't exactly connect the story well. By the middle of the movie it dawned on me that it was becoming more and more predictable. From what I've gathered, no super hero movie has ended in the super hero's loss. Loci shows no sign of changing his ways from "evil" thus, the outcome become inevitable no matter what Loci throws the Avengers way. From that point on, every conversation of confusion between the characters and talk of what the next step will be to take seems pointless. The wondering and guessing games could have been done without as far as I'm concerned. The ending of the movie seemed to be too far fetched and far too drawn out to be enjoyable. Plausibly, they all should've died before the Hulk came around. The way the creatures were destroying buildings, it was hard to accept the fact that, even with super powers, they were destroying them one by one. The setting of this battle was also a little out of reach. Showing everyone walk away unharmed and guarded by the NYPD is beyond realistic given what the other creatures were capable of. None of the pedestrians seemed to even be worried about the danger in the aftermath, only thankfulness and gratitude for those who saved them. Is that how it would really happen? I surely wouldn't think so. As for the meaning and the plot line revolving around the Tesseract, I couldn't even being to explain that to someone. The power it holds and the large question "why" it holds the power it holds still confuses me. The knowledge needed for this movie before going into it seems to outweigh watching the film out of pleasure. While I understood the concept of the movie and could still gather main points, I believe that it reached out to more of the large Marvel fans that have been following for years, or decades. This movie was slightly disappointing, but what do I know, I'm still asking the question, Avenger who?

Wonderful, Amazing, Thrilling

Author: abetorres83 from United States
12 November 2012

The Phenomenal Avengers

Today I watched "The Avengers" for the first time. The movie itself, I believe was very well put together. Not knowing who each character is and not seeing each one of their movies to get their background. The movie was well put together, that I understood what role each one played. With the original cast of each character are in this movie, except they did not use the original actor for the Hulk which is what I was familiar with but the part was very well portrayed by Mark Raffalo . The Hulk character keeps the viewers on edge, wondering what or when will he release the rage of The Hulk.

The movie starts with that main villain Loky, god of mischief, planning one of his ultimate plans of taking over the world. The original actor, Tom Hiddleston, from the movie " Thor" plays an amazing part both dark and evil. Capturing all the characteristics of a grand villain, comes to life in the amazing film and Hiddleston plays the part to perfection. Other characters in this film include the fantastic performance of Chris Evans as Captain America. With his honor and loyal traits this character is incredibly brought to the screens with a perfect actor that does its great justice.

All the characters in this film are portrayed wonderfully to bring this fantasy film to life. This movie also shows the truth of a community in a tragedy. When all hope is lost in the movie each character mad at each other in regular life come together to get through the hard times and defeat the powerful Loki. This is film each actor feeds each other in this film that all the scenes connect perfectly and even if you have not seen all the individual movies of all the characters one by one. The film is still pretty easy to follow and to catch up on each one and the part they play. All and all I would like to say that Joss Whedon did an amazing job on creating each character and I hope there is more to come. Two thumbs up in my book….ART

And the whole world knows it. Every world knows it.

Author: didacrubios from Spain
4 September 2012

Joss Whedon tells a story, which, though classic, is developed in a really great way. First of all, an enviable and satirical script defines the pace of the work, which remains strong throughout its duration, accumulating tension to lead to a powerful final act, this is achieved in part thanks to the great characterization of the characters, very well defined in their dialogues and by the performances of the actors, who easily draw the different personalities of heroes and villain, as well as making the viewer vibrate with the clash of egos when they appear on screen.

A Special Mention goes Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and Tom Hiddleston as Loki, the Norse god and Thor's brother. The latter is a successful incentive for the film, the fun of seeing him interact on screen is matched only by his great performance (specialy the scenes with Stark, Natasha and Thor) demonstrating a complex villain, even tragic, (although sometimes scary) whose motivation, while simple at first glance, proves to be a multi-layered one in an attentive viewing (pay attention to his dialogues and facial expressions, especially in encounters with Thor, Agent Coulson and his scenes in the outcome).

Robert Downey Jr. keeps the level as Tony Stark, and continues to develop his character. As we saw in the first Iron Man, Stark demonstrates that, despite having matured as a person, he's someone who does not know how to be a team player. He learns, in this film, that a hero is more than a cocky playboy, even if said playboy has superpowers.

The last, but not least, is Bruce Banner. Probably the most more grayest character that has the privilege of appearing on 'The Avengers'. Ruffalo's Banner is a sad, depressed man, who is ashamed of himself and is considered a monster by the one surrounding him, he has to learn to accept himself. A great success, by the director, is to outline his relationship with Tony Stark, as the contrast between the two is one of the delights of the film.

It doesn't my criticism, however, the fact that the final conflict may not appeal (to a greater or lesser extent) to those who 'do not tolerate CGI', which are really plentiful (though visually spectacular in themselves) during the last act.

However, I must say that such scenes are well maintained not only in effects, but also in style (special mention to an amazing a scene where the camera follows the protagonists, an artistically impressive oner which captures the might of the heroes with the sound-image combo).

Also, Whedon doesn't rely on "Eye Candy", and gives to the outcome a decent plot-structure, remarkably finishing the relationships between the characters, all of this seasoned, successfully, with good dialogue and some epic moments to make it more palatable. Paraprasing Roger Ebert, like many recent films in their third acts, The Avengers goes for wall-to-wall action, essentially, but the director has invested well in establishing his characters so that it matters what they do in battle and how they do it. There are personal issues at stake greater than simply which side wins.

Another negative point, in my opinion, is the following, although the premise is developed in a great way, giving shape to a somewhat simplistic plot, as I said the film does not redefine any way a plot that we have not already seen before, despite the fact that represents such concepts much better than any other film in its genre. However, although imperfect, the film satisfies at all times, and the scale between hits and misses is good enough to make this an excellent movie.

Almost too short

Author: Nicolaj82 from Denmark
21 August 2012

Just saw the movie, and i've gotta say it was pretty sweet.

Know the feeling when watching a regular 1½ hour movie, and halfway through you look at the time in the hopes it's almost over? This was really nicely paced, your attention is on the screen the entire movie, and at no point during did i think about time. When the movie was over, i was like, did 2.20 hours just pass.

I didn't expect much humour in this, i knew Stark would be a smart-ass, so that was anticipated, but i did not expect The Hulk to be funny, twice!

All in all, great movie, and a good start to The Avengers trilogy/quadrilogy or whatever this is going to become.

One of the best comic book movies i've ever seen.

Author: nick-asaro
17 August 2012

What can I say about the Avengers that everyone else hasn't already said? Well, believe the hype! it's great! why? well numerous reasons. One of them is the director they chose for the job of bringing one of the most iconic super teams in comics to life.Joss Whedon has showed time and time again that he knows about both the Marvel Universe (see his run on Astonishing X-men) and Team dynamics(See Firefly or any of his other works)and he works his magic to the max here. another reason is the great cast. while all good, two performances really stand out to me. The first one is Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk and the second one is Tom Hiddleston as Loki. While I enjoyed Ed Norton's Banner, I felt something was missing from him, Likability. Mark Ruffalo had Likability. Tom Hiddleston's Loki was a great villain that really had that sinister aura about him and he's better here than he was in Thor. Another Reason is the action. Not only does the final scene have An epic battle that rivals Robots trashing Chicago in Transformers 3 (This is way cooler) But other great action scenes come throughout the movie. one of my favorites is the scene at the beginning where Loki steals the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube and takes down a whole bunch of S.H.I.E.L.D agents including Nick Fury and Hawkeye. Also, The plot is fairly simplistic but what really makes this movie shone is the character dynamics. So final verdict: possibly the best movie of the summer of 2012. Assemble and go see it.

My boyhood dream has been realised.

Author: SillyRaccoon from United Kingdom
12 August 2012

I have been waiting for an Avengers movie for well over a decade and when I found out that it was even in the pipeline I was beside myself with excitement. I went to see the movie with somewhat high expectations due to the cast involved and the previous Marvel movies building up to this title. I have to say that it completely surpassed my expectations and I was amazed throughout the entire movie.

I attended the screening in 3D and I honestly have no idea why people had anything bad to say about the 3D in this movie as it was quite brilliant.

For me, the underrated characters in the movie are Black Widow and Hawkeye. I felt that these characters were portrayed perfectly by Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner. I also felt that we have finally found a perfect actor in Mark Ruffalo to play The Hulk. The two actors that have recently played Bruce Banner/The Hulk have been pretty good but both seemed to be lacking in something but I could never put my finger on it. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and The Hulk.

Overall this movie is filled with all the required thrills and spills and is a first class action movie. It also has a great mixture of comedic value and a deal of seriousness.

I can see exactly why there has been a massive explosion of potential Marvel movies in the pipeline and I cannot wait to see what the sequel could bring. I feel that Hawkeye and Black Widow could definitely have their own movies if not a movie where they are working together. I also hope that the people at Marvel and Disney have identified Mark Ruffalo's great ability to play Bruce Banner/The Hulk in such a great way and maybe look into rebooting the entire franchise.

I would highly recommend this movie across all age ranges as there is something for everyone. I also cannot wait for this movie to come out on blu-ray.

Avengers Assemble Most Adroitly

Author: Ed Uyeshima from San Francisco, CA, USA
3 June 2012

Unless you are the sort of cinematic snob who can only appreciate avant-garde short subjects in tiny projection rooms, then chances are pretty good that you'll have a rollicking good time watching this 2012 megawatt adventure epic. I certainly did, and I wouldn't consider myself a die-hard Marvel comic book fan. I enjoyed the derring-do and ironic humor that infused the comic book films preceding this one, but director/screenwriter Joss Whedon really whips together all the formula elements that made "Iron Man" (1 & 2), "The Incredible Hulk" (the 2008 version), "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger" purely entertaining into something that miraculously makes the larger-than-life dimensions of the superheroes more instantly relatable. A top-notch cast certainly helps as does the armada of technicians who pull off the effects in all their 3-D, eye-popping glory, of course, but much of the credit really needs to go to Whedon for making this film as much fun as a comic book.

Running a surprisingly fleet 143 minutes, the potentially convoluted plot allows Nick Fury, a character heretofore limited to tantalizing post-credits scenes in the previous movies, to take center stage. He's the surly one-eyed leader of S.H.I.E.L.D., the peacekeeping agency who must quickly recruit a team of superheroes to do battle with Loki, the deceitful half-brother of Thor, the Norse deity of thunder. Loki has brainwashed archer supreme Hawkeye and brilliant physicist Dr. Erik Selvig (already seen in "Thor") while stealing a cosmic cube called the Tesseract, a powerful energy source of seemingly limitless potential, from a remote research facility. Fury recruits Black Widow, a former Russian spy last seen in action in "Iron Man 2", to gather the troops including a highly reticent Bruce Banner a.k.a. the Hulk. Meanwhile, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor have to learn to get along before facing the enemy.

Loki turns out to be the least of their problems as the Tesseract unleashes a powerful alien race known as the Chitauri, which leads to the inevitable battle royale on the devastated streets of Manhattan. While the state-of-the-art action scenes are everything you want them to be, it's really the film's unexpected sense of humor that consistently buoys the story. Realizing the escalating level of implausibility, Whedon smartly provides clever lines and scenes to everyone (and not just Robert Downey, Jr.) For instance, after Thor proclaims Loki solemnly as his Asgardian brother, Black Widow points out that he killed eighty people in two days to which Thor points out Loki was adopted. Later, in the most crowd-pleasing scene, the Hulk grabs a character by his leg and whip-slams him into the floor like he's beating a dust rag. The defiance of logic and physics is par for the course here, and Whedon's kid-like attitude and deft hand make it all the more exhilarating.

The physically fit cast work surprisingly well together as an ensemble. While Downey's scene-stealing as Iron Man is a given, Chris Evans' Captain America, Chris Hemsworth's Thor, Mark Ruffalo's digitally altered Hulk, Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye all get their moments to shine. As Loki, Tom Hiddleston effectively conveys the inferiority complex that drives his villain with slithery cunning, while Samuel L. Jackson and Clark Gregg take full advantage of expanded roles as Fury and Agent Coulson respectively. The mistake most filmmakers make in showing an Armageddon situation is applying too much soul-baring gravitas to the proceedings. That's definitely not Whedon's take as he never lets us forget that we are watching a comic book come to life. It's gratifying to watch a popcorn movie that actually lives up to the hype in all its commercial glory.

We couldn't have hoped for a better The Avengers movie!

Author: theonewithallthecontacts from Denmark
7 January 2013

The Avengers is one of these rare movies where it lives up to all the tons of hype it has gotten! It has made over 1.5 billion dollars, and it has received high praise from both fans and critics. And the success of this movie is very well deserved! The really great thing about this movie doesn't come from all the action, humor or visual effects... It is to see all these characters interact with each other in one room! Joss Whedon truly was the man for the job, and he impresses once again with his ability to portray each character as meaningful as the other. Everybody counts! There isn't one hero, but six of them! And they are all relevant and meaningful, plus all their character development is superb... All of them! Whedon has my full respect!

The visual effects in this movie are out of this world! It really is spectacular and a joy to watch! The cinematography is likewise beautiful in this movie! But in the technical department all my praise and full respect goes to Alan Silvestri! His score for this movie blew me away! Especially, the "Avengers Assemble" tune! No gripes from me in the technical department!

As for the cast they are all terrific! Robert Downey Jr. is easily my favorite and probably the funniest in this movie! Mark Ruffalo makes the best Bruce Banner aka "The Hulk" to date, with a serious and human, yet comedic performance! Chris Evans is still quite good as Captain America. As far as performances go, this guy is probably the weakest. But he's still an awesome actor! Chris Hemsworth isn't a remarkable actor either, but he has nice charisma and fits the role as Thor! Scarlett Johansson is smoking hot and sexy, and much more relevant than she was in Iron Man 2! Jeremy Renner was just pure badass Agent Clint Barton aka Hawkeye! Samuel L. Jackson was epic and badass in the role of Nick Fury! Tom Hiddleston isn't exactly a really strong or serious villain. Mostly he just feels like a comic relief. But Hiddleston can act, and he's got a few agonizing scenes! Stellan Skarsgård and Cobie Smulders is also good in their supporting roles!

I've chosen to judge this movie with what it is: a fantastic superhero-movie! And for that, it has to get a 10 for me! We couldn't have hoped for a better Avengers movie! I'm already looking forward to Avengers 2!