IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 169:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A Stunning Visual Effects-Driven Spectacle

Author: SmashingUKProductions from Worcester, England
12 July 2014

'Avengers Assemble' ('The Avengers') is a truly enjoyable superhero film that lives up to its hype and creates a story that allows for four of the greatest superheroes to connect in this mega-blockbuster extravaganza. Joss Whedon has created one of the most action-packed Marvel films to have graced the screen, full of humour, thrills and a great cast of characters, all of which impel this visual effects-driven spectacle. Whilst I had the great opportunity to watch this epic in the cinema in 3D, the film is equally as stunning on an average television set, with the final battle between the Avengers and Loki's army being one of the most spectacular scenes in a superhero movie. An impressive and remarkable fantastical superhero flick from Whedon.

A Flat out Exceptional Movie Event. (Best Villain in Years!)

Author: scotts863 from Mellowtown
21 April 2012

I'm happy to report that everything established in previous movies pays dividends in a big way. It's not that anyone needs to see those other Avenger solo films before seeing this gem but it certainly adds depth and texture to this amazing product. Not having to intro big main characters deeply allows the action to flow but also allows for better development. This also allows them to probe deeper into the character's personalities. This heightens the tension, so often missing from comic-book movies, and adds real weight to the story as well as the action sequences which are thrilling and often mesmerizing. The result is a film that's just flat out exceptional.

Of course all the phenomenal heroes got to shine and the story accommodated them all perfectly. What I loved is that Marvel did it again with their main villain. Loki was just so wonderful and complex in this amazing movie. Spurned Loki masterfully dances on the fault lines of villainy and redemption. He always keep people guessing and. Again, that's just shear perfection coming from the god of mischief. He has such a mixture of emotional psychological complexity. You have somebody who's capable of thinking and strategizing at the speed of light, but underneath that is a deep well of pain that at any moment threatens to boil over and Tom Hiddleston plays it like the master he has become. This is Oscar worthy villain performance good.

The performances in this movie are as good as any I've ever seen in an adventure film. The great actors say that acting akin to playing tennis. The rally that they play with a new partner is completely different from one to the other. Each of these GREAT actors have such specific talents that it's fun to see them play off each other at different times in this movie. I think Whedon realized this as both director and writer and shuffled things around on purpose to play to strengths. It's just another wonderful aspect of this spectacular movie event.

Exceptional! Oh my God. Oh. My. God. My mind is blown.

Author: Two Gun from United States
14 April 2012

I just loved Marvel's Avengers. I thought it was smart and the impressive cast really delivered! This movie works on so many levels and makes you draw on just about all of your emotions. I don't remember when I enjoyed a movie this much! Such cool fantasy but what makes it extra special is following this film after all the other solo efforts from each character. I enjoyed the others films quite a bit but they all delivered something different. Seeing them blend together in Avengers and the sparks that resulted was the extra special treat. Example: They blended the grounded futurist (Tony Stark) with the Norse thunder god and his angry brother in a perfect way. Same could be said for every other character. It all works. In fact, it doesn't just fit, it's a symphony and that dyconomy and difference in characters are what makes it truly great. It's why this movie stands so tall above any other franchise at the moment. Things like Transformers, GI Joe and even Star Trek all operate with monotone restrictions. Avengers covers all angles and delivers depth with its fun.

I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in years if not ever!

A Fan Service

Author: Mek Torres from Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines
25 April 2012

The Avengers movie must be a dream come true to everyone. Seeing these superheroes uniting together to save the world in the big screen. While the heroes' stand alone films doesn't have that enough action, this movie executes more of their super abilities. It's really fun and exciting. A lot of people will cheer to their favorite superheroes. This is what all fans and moviegoers want in Avengers. More fighting, more explosions, more smashing, and more fun. In the end, you will crave for more because of its awesomeness. The Avengers is simply marvelous.

Our modern blockbusters are just full of explosions that makes no sense, bland characters, and too long runtime. The runtime here is long but it's necessary. The storytelling is quite simple as it gets. We already knew who these characters are. The best part is when they develop their relationship to each other. This happened mostly in the second act. These scenes are funny and entertaining. It's more entertaining when there's Robert Downey Jr. stealing the show. Of course, he will always be like this. His chemistry with Bruce Banner is wonderful. Two geniuses working together. Other than that, the rest of the performances were also good. Chris Hemsworth is just mighty enough as Thor and Chris Evans is cool enough as Captain America. Scarlett Johansson is probably the weak link here. She's still sexy though.

Maybe the only problem here is the secondary villains. They are not as dangerous or as threatening as they suppose to be which makes it too easy for Hulk to smash them. But it doesn't matter because there's Loki stealing all of his scenes once again. Tom Hiddleston is simply fantastic as Loki. The action is pretty awesome. It's suppose to be awesome! The Hulk nails it in these scenes. It's exciting to see him smash stuff with glory. While there's Iron Man flying, Thor wielding his hammer, Captain America throwing his shield, and Hawkeye shooting with his archer. More explosions, just what everyone wants. It's fantastically cool and fun.

There are still compelling moments and drama here but the main attraction of this film is the action and explosions. The film also cares about the characters which makes it reasonable for us to care about them and cheer to them. It's a rare kind of blockbuster these days. It has clever humor, awesome action, and really fun characters. It makes the Fans and Moviegoers happy and amazed. This is the kind of blockbuster that people should watch. This film is just cool and highly recommended to see this summer. Though, I still think the first Iron Man movie is the best of this set, but still, this is a big, fun experience you will have in the big screen.

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: horseygurlz from United Kingdom
24 December 2012

The danger with every superhero movie is that it will end up either horrifically unrealistic or unappealing to anyone over the age of ten. I am pleased to say that 'The Avengers' does not fall into either of these pitholes - in fact, it has to be awarded the title of one of the best films of 2012.

The actors were all amazingly casted in their respective roles and do an amazing job of creating intriguing and lovable characters. Many of them were reprising roles they had taken on in previous films - Captain America, Thor or Iron Man, for example - so we already had a good idea of how they would perform, but I feel they all exceeded expectations. Robert Downey Jr was incredible as the humorous yet conflicted Tony Stark/ Iron Man, and Chris Evans was brilliant as the confused, out-of-time Steve Rogers/ Captain America. Mark Ruffalo, the newbie of the cast, stepped into the role of Bruce Banner/ Hulk with great skill and dispersed all doubts as to his suitability. On the other side, Tom Hiddleston really has to be congratulated for his convincing and somehow relatable performance as the villain Loki, whose wit and tricks appealed to fans everywhere.

The special effects in this movie were undoubtedly excellent, and despite their need to be ostentatious never seemed unnecessarily unrealistic. The director Joss Whedon did a fabulous job and has created a cinematic classic that will be praised for years to come.

Author: rossiepearson from United Kingdom
5 December 2012

"The tesseract has awakened." spoken in the opening scene, picks right up where 'Captain America: The First Avenger' and 'Thor' left off. S.H.E.I.L.D director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is forced to call upon earths mightiest hero's to stop the self outcast Asgardian Loki.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk, along with Black Widow and Hawkeye, are the only hope to save the world from an invasion, and boy do they in an instant superhero classic. Possibly the best thing about The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble in the UK) is that each hero has grounded powers the exception being Thor (unless you count Hulk's strength as a super power), which makes the Marvel hero's more believable than their DC. counterparts.

There's drama, action, comedy, and some amazing CGI, and thankfully doesn't fall into the same category as the not so fantastic Fantastic 4 movies. Mark Ruffalo, replacing the underwhelming Ed Norton, excels as Bruce Banner/Hulk, which is without a doubt the best on screen version of the iconic hero after the awful 2003 'Hulk' movie and 2008's slightly improved 'The Incredible Hulk', as well as Ruffalo and co star Robert Downey Jr. Playing Tony Stark/Iron Man for the 4th time, having some fantastic chemistry in a scene on-board the Hellcarrier.

Chris Evans plays Captain America perfectly as the man out of time, Chris Hemsworth is believable in his role as Loki's Brother (like in Thor) Scarlett Johansson is the surprise of the movie though with a lot of the action revolving around her Black Widow, the only major disappointment with The Avengers is that Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye is underused. That being said every hero gets decent screen time to justify their appearance as well as everyone having a big part to play in the fantastic final sequence.

However, The Avengers towers over every superhero movie in recent memory with the only real challengers being X-Men and The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joss Whedons hit is sure to please Marvel fans and the everyday movie goer. Next up for Marvel studios, Iron Man 3, cant wait.

Best quote in the movie: Loki:"How desperate are you that you call upon such such lost creatures to defend you?"

If you enjoyed watching: X-Men, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, you'll enjoy watching The Avengers (Avengers Assemble).

Beautifully Done Masterpiece

Author: rayrodgpa from United States
12 May 2012

I'll admit it, I was extremely doubtful about this film. I've loved Joss Whedon's work my entire life and I had enjoyed all the previous Marvel films that led up to this one, especially Iron Man. But the fact that they brought together all of these different characters from all these different movies and put them together in 2 1/2 hour film was unprecedented and almost seemed impossible. But the optimist in me got me to the theater with me expectations shaky. Once the film started I was quickly drawn in and once the title appeared on the screen I knew that Joss Whedon had done it. The Avengers is without a doubt my favorite Marvel film and even my favorite action film ever made. Whedon did a great job writing this masterful, witty script that ingeniously put together all these characters and made it flow perfectly. The actors did such a great job playing these characters again and it didn't seem like anyone was underutilized and everyone got a chance to be in the spotlight(especially the hulk). Once you see all of the characters assemble and fight the bad guys you can't help but fill with happiness. The entire movie was such a fun thrill ride from the beginning to the end and the ending battle scene was brilliantly done. I am extremely delighted to say that Joss Whedon has done the impossible and made one of the most entertaining movies ever made.

Time To Jump On The Band Wagon

Author: Mahan18 from Australia
12 May 2012

Yeah, much like everyone else, I friggin' LOVED this movie. This is the purest comic book movie I have ever seen, and for that reason alone it works. Everything, from the writing to the action to the humour to the chemistry between characters to even the pacing feels like it was pulled straight from the pages of the lavishly ludicrous, and having one of the gods of cult sci-fi/fantasy, not to mention a comic book writer, at the helm of this movie was probably the only way this movie could have possibly met with everyone's expectations.

4-5 years of build-up to this movie, and it more than just pays off; it wins the jackpot. I am yet to find a person who didn't like this movie, and I can fully understand why. I honestly TRIED to find something about it to even nitpick at, and found nothing. This is the ultimate comic book movie; I highly recommend this to any lover of action, superhero or sci-fi movies, as well as to any avid comic book readers. For all those who don't fit into these categories, this movie may just convert you.

Finest superhero movie ever

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
21 May 2012

The Avengers – CATCH IT ( A+ ) The anticipation for the avenger's movie is undeniable. We have been waiting for this from years. To understand the Avenger's movie it's really important that you've seen all previous Ironman, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America's movies. As the avenger's give time to build characterizations for their heroes so getting into the avengers empty headed about hero's history will be foolish. The Avenger's brings back our beloved Marvel's heroes Tony Stark (Iron Man), Thor, Dr. Bruce Banner (Hulk), Steve Rogers (Captain America), Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow), Clint Barton (Hawkeye), Agent Maria Hill, Agent Phil Coulson and Director Nick Fury. Each hero's journey starts from where it ended in their respective movies. Now, The Avenger's stands strong in every department, from direction, production and performances. It won't be wrong to say that it brings out the best out of all the heroes. The humor, action and graphics are far brilliant than all the previous Marvel movies combined. The credit goes to generous brain of Joss Whedon. He brings out something very special out of each superhero. The interaction between all superheroes is something we don't see often, they tease, make fun and even fight with each other. Robert Downey Jr. (Ironman) is great as always. He brings his charming personality and wicked humor into his character which made him the superstar of today. Chris Hemsworth (Thor) is truly a god of thunder. His entry is as Big as Thor's entry should be, it makes you jump of your seat and cheer for him. Chris Evens (Captain America) is indeed the ultimate American Hero, he got the charm and personality of a true America hero. Some of the most standout moments in the movie belong to Mark Ruffalo (The Incredible Hulk). For the first time we see some humor in the actions of Hulk, he is just not a fury green monster this time around. besides Hulk, the biggest surprise is Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow), we have seen the part of her in Ironman movie but this time around we completely understand the strength and wickedness of Black Widow. She is absolutely stunning and fantastic. Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) is good and I hope to see him someday with Black Widow. They had this amazing chemistry which requires further attention. Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders and Samuel L. Jackson the S.H.E.I.L.D are fun to watch. Tom Hiddleston (Loki) is superb, he was the ultimate villain and considering his brilliant performance in Thor, he has out done himself again. Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) appearance is appreciated and I would have loved to see Natalie Portman (Jane Foster) in it too. On the whole, The Avengers is the finest brilliant superhero movie of all time, it's filled with great performance, humor, action, graphics and brilliant direction. Highly recommended in 3D.

My Huge Expectations Weren't Huge Enough

Author: Mr-Smithy from United Kingdom
21 April 2012

I had the huge privilege of winning tickets to a preview screening for this movie one week before release in the UK.

I had enormous expectations for this movie ever since the post credit scene of Iron Man in 2008. And all I can say is my expectations weren't nearly high enough.

Every second that passes by in this movie keeps you gripped to the edge of your seat, the brilliant chemistry of the cast does the excellent writing and directing of Joss Whedon justice, the spectacular special effects, and plot turns throughout really make this a cinematic epic, and without any shadow of doubt the greatest super hero blockbuster of all time, while the 3D was not 100% necessary it certainly gave this movie an extra punch, as although it was done in post production you could clearly tell that this was intended to be a 3D movie.

In my opinion the person that stole the show was Tom Hiddleston and his excellent portrayal of Loki, Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo were also excellent.

This movie also packs a huge comedic blow, being a lot funnier than most comedies i have seen at the cinema.

Every person who had any part in making this movie needs to be tremendously proud of themselves.

This is a truly thrilling experience and the only way for me to finish this review is by saying, bring on Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and The Avengers 2!

Page 2 of 169:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]