IMDb > The Avengers (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 160:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

God awful movie!

Author: Bradley Templeton from Bournemouth
12 May 2012

Terrible. Complete trash. Brainless tripe. Insulting to anyone who isn't an 8 year old fan boy. Im actually pretty disgusted that this movie is making the money it is - what does it say about the people who brainlessly hand over the hard earned cash to be 'entertained' in this fashion and then come here to leave a positive 8.8 review?? Oh yes, they are morons. Its the only sensible conclusion to draw. How anyone can rate this movie amongst the pantheon of great titles is beyond me.

So trying to find something constructive to say about this title is hard...I enjoyed Iron Man? Tony Stark is an inspirational character in his own movies but here he is a pale shadow of that...About the only 'hook' this movie had into me was wondering when and if Iron Man would knock Captain America out...Oh how I wished he had :( What were these other characters anyways? Useless, bickering idiots who really couldn't organise happy times in a brewery. The film was a chaotic mish mash of action elements and failed 'set pieces'...

I found the villain to be quite amusing.

And now I give up. This movie is not robbing any more of my time but I felt I ought to contribute to restoring the obvious fake rating and reviews this movie has been getting on IMDb.

Kids Stuff

Author: paris_whitney_hilton_nyc from United States
31 May 2012

When my friend asked me to see the Avengers with him I thought he meant the Steed and Mrs Peel Avengers . Unfortunately , it was the comic book Avengers . While I am not such a big superhero action movie fan , I did enjoy the Batman and Watchman movies . However, the Avengers is one film I could have easily passed up . After first battling each other , the Avengers unite and join forces to save the world from the same common enemy . A lot of the action takes place on a gigantic flying aircraft carrier ,No.64 ( not the CV-64 USS Constellation ). This movie consists mostly of very fast paced CGI's and cheesy Iron Man Robert Downey Jr one-liners . Our heroes and (super villain) are practically indestructible as they are beaten to a pulp but always manage to bounce back time after time . I don't know what the Black Widow's super powers were except martial arts and pistol shooting . Some unintentionally funny moments came when Iron Man Downey was speaking from inside his metal suit . It looked like a talking head from inside a goldfish bowl . It just looked so silly ! There isn't much chemistry between these cardboard characters either . If you are 10 years old or an adult with the maturity of a 14 year old boy , who is obsessed with reading comic books, and are addicted to video games, I'm sure the Avengers is your cup of tea . If not, you will be thinking of the 143 boring minutes you just wasted or what other movies were playing next door you could have seen . If you do decide to see this movie , select a seat in the last row to avoid nausea . I would like to see movies that rely so much on CGI's to be made into animated full length cartoons instead . At least the unaware movie goer has a better idea of what is in store for them when they purchase a ticket .

This film was definitely not for me ! .... NOT HOT ... pwh

boring, stupid, cliché punchline-thrower

Author: unbekannternutzer from Switzerland
21 August 2012

this is where IMDb needs to react to all those obviously faked reviews. if they don't people will just ignore all 'blockbuster'-reviews. which would call for competition that will take action against this kind of manipulation.

this has never been so obvious than with the avengers. this movie does not deserve a rating above 4. the plot is uninspired and boring, has no twists and everyone knows where it's going. the dialog feels very scripted. characters in comic books for 5-year-olds maybe talk like that. superheroes don't. the acting is very unnatural, it feels very staged and no emotion is being transported to the audience. the characters aren't developed, they just get different punchlines to throw at the audience. the cgi is really bad, not worthy of a movie of 2012. i think even '2001 - A Space Odyssey' (1968) had better special effects.

it seems that they spent almost all their money on the actors, forgot about the story and just used the cheapest cgi they could get. the rest of the money they used for marketing and creating a hype (as i said, this is obvious here on IMDb).

the whole thing is just cheap. but we will see more of this if people continue to make this kind of movie profitable. and this will probably be the case, so expect more of these.

8.8 Is most likely "Cheated"

Author: pro-wows
11 May 2012

There is no way this is legit 8.8. The movie is comparable to Transformers 3.(Rated a 6).

Look I loved the following recent action hero movies. Spiderman (1-3), Dark Knight, Super 8, Iron Man(1-2), Transformers(1-2)

I really don't dislike that many movies. I'm not being cynical. This movie really is just a cluster ..... There's no emotion to the whole thing. Its dull and flat. It also feels very "PG"

Its the definition of cliché when it comes to super hero movies. There's no bar being raised, there is nothing new being done. The entire script is just a bunch of predictable non sense jargon with no meaning. There's no event in the movie where i go wow, that is original. Or go wow this movie gives me emotion and it really immerses me in the experience(Watch the beginning of star trek).

My only thoughts is that Walt Disney Pictures did black hat tactics to hype this movie through social networks. I cannot and will not believe people think this movie is worth an 8.8.

I really did want to walk out of the theater. This movie is forgettable and I was very disappointed and let down. This movie really just feels like another "average" super hero movie. But the expectation of it being good just makes it worse.

How did this get in the top 100?

Author: rich1234567 from United Kingdom
30 June 2012

This film is is an empty shell covered with dazzling lights. Sure, it does look pretty but that is as far as it goes.

Nothing interesting happens in this film (by interesting I mean plot wise, not a standard fight scene with new people copied and pasted into it) the 'plot' is horrific, to the point in which you wonder if there actually is a one. Hollywood seem to use the same script for every action film they make, only they replace a few of the more minor details so hopefully people won't notice.

In an attempt to keep at least some of the male (and select female) audience awake the director decides it is time for Scarlett Johansson to pop up on screen to show off her, lets say defining costume in such an obvious manner. It is just a cheap, cheap film full of filler material that you will enjoy if you have an inability to think for yourself.

I really have no idea how this film got into the top 100 of all time, there is really no reason for it to be there.

The only plus sides are that the acting and cast are superb, it is just a shame that they were not involved in something where their talents could have been used in more fulfilling roles.

2 1/2 hours of wasted time

Author: stixman46 from United States
12 May 2012

I don't want to waste more time talking about a movie that I just wasted 2 1/2 hours of my life watching but I feel it's necessary in order to maybe save someone from making the same mistake I just did by watching this stinker. Actually I slept through some of it so there was SOME valuable time spent in the theater. I would have walked out except my girlfriend look like she was enjoying it. This movie just sucked, plain and simple. It's the typical good guys have to save the earth from aliens. It did have all the emotions though.....The dialog was laughable and the acting made me want to cry. Unless you just like seeing buildings getting demolished and people who are impervious to bullets, explosions, and every kind of weapon known to man, stay home and save your money. I've watched better cartoons as a kid. It actually angers me that there are so many people in this world the simply LOVED this movie. This movie was so bad, I may never go to the theater again!

Insanely Overrated, Style over Substance and just plain awful

Author: Michael Smith from United Kingdom
14 February 2013

Sigh. These days a lot of films are over advertised and over hyped and are mindlessly praised by fan boys and critics alike. I remember being so eager for this film since the original Iron Man. Having loved all the origin films (even Iron Man 2) and especially Thor, I awaited eagerly for the Avengers. When things would get serious for all these characters and they would all have to confront the villainous Loki face to face on Earth in a dark tale of war. The trailers were excellent and despite my disdain about the Hulk recast I still thought the film looked promising. Then it came out. "The Avengers" instead of being a serious story that ties these characters together and develops these characters from where they all stand motives wise instead throws all of that away for a generic plot and cheesy dialogue. Now I do love some witty one liners and cleverly written comedic moments during a serious plot. However, the Avengers goes over kill with ridiculously childish jokes that just seem like a bad parody. It doesn't even take itself seriously and I know I sure as hell couldn't. What bothers me a lot is how bad the humour is that Joss Whedon and his crew thought it was good enough to keep in the film.

There is the problem. Instead of directing this film toward its real fans it seems like it ignored all the previous films and was made purely for money as well as the little children. It really shows in the film. For starters the plot. Why does Loki go from wanting his father's approval to ruling a world he barely cared about before? Who are the Chitauri? Why do they want the Tesseract aside from a brief line about needing it to unlock other worlds? How could Thor get Odin to use dark magic to send him back to Earth if Loki was the only one with that knowledge and only confessed this to Heimdall? How can Odin suddenly use the dark magic only Loki knew about? Why did Loki need to get captured just to waste time unleashing the Hulk on the Helicarrier instead of opening the portal for the Chitauri and giving them the Tesseract straight away? Why does Loki need to travel through portals now if he blatantly said and demonstrated he had the power to go through worlds in Thor without anyone seeing him at all? What bad things did Black Widow do in her past? How did Tony Stark get revived by the Hulk with a simple roar if the light went off on Starks chest device thus requiring a transfer one as seen in Iron Man 1? Why did the Mothership's destruction suddenly kill all the Chitauri? How can Black Widow and Hawkeye two normal humans hold their own against thousands of Chitauri with only a bow and two handguns? How does the Tesseract have a fail safe if Selvig was under Loki's control when he built the device around it? Hydra were not Bruce Banners enemy so why does he care about what Shield is doing with the Tesseract to re make their weapons? How are the Avengers communicating with each other in the final battle whilst so obviously not wearing ear pieces? But the worst one of them all. How is Bruce Banner suddenly able to control his transforming into the Hulk if he couldn't earlier in the film and almost killed Black Widow? Don't expect the film to answer any of these for you as coherence to the other films as well as general sense have been axed in favour for brief boring action scenes after action scenes that become old after the first viewing. Everything feels forced, rushed and contrived to the point where it no longer matters about the story or characters as long as their is huge battles and terrible cgi on the screen the fan boys will squeal. One thing I would like to briefly mention is Mark Ruffalo. Whenever he shows up its clear that Edward Norton was meant to be in this film instead. Ruffalo's Banner for starters looks too old and doesn't have much personality to him other than finding the Tesseract so he can go back to where he was before. There is never any sense of a conflicted emotionally challenged man who has to contend with a giant beast as his alter ego. Instead Banner more or less acts like a puppet who just sort of is there for the sake of being there.

All the characters are made to act completely stupid for the sake of a little joke or a little action scene and contradict the complex characters they were in their origin films. For instance, Hulk punching Thor. The CGI is another problem with this film. It looks down right horrible. The Hulk in particular blatantly looked like he wasn't really there and didn't really look like the Hulk but more like a silly Gorilla on steroids with a skin problem. The Chitauri designs were awful (with the exception of the Other), they looked like a 3 year old drew them and came across as under developed generic bad guys. We learn virtually nothing about them and it seems like their appearance in this film served only as time filler for the last part of the movie and so they can return in a sequel.

Overall, this film could have been one of the best comic book movies ever made but ultimately it fell victim to being a generic Hollywood movie with no substance.

Its...really...booooring...

Author: atcshane-1 from Chicago, IL, USA
20 June 2012

Before I went to the movie I was shopping for Tshirts online and found one that looks like the NASCAR symbol... You know the one--it looks like the word NASCAR in motion with a bunch of colors coming off the left side like its a car I guess. Anyway, someone made a Tshirt that looks identical but instead of NASCAR it says BORING. Lol.

Anyway, flash forward to me falling asleep in the movie, butt numb, and I keep picturing that Tshirt. Boring. This movie. Really boring.

I think I fell asleep 3 times, for about 15 minutes total. Its hard to sleep too long because every now and then there is an explosion or some other loud whammo.

The Dark Knight was WAY better than this. Spiderman was WAY better than this.

Is it worthy of 1 star? No. Maybe it should be 3 or 4... But I'm giving the 1 to help offset some of the insane 10s I'm seeing on here. Seriously, there are people on IMDb saying its the best movie they have ever seen in their life. Really? Really!? Really. O.o I smell something fishy going on around here.

The movie was completely vapid, boring, convoluted. Nothing about the movie was new or interesting.

I'm assuming the score has been manipulated by social media, hopefully IMDb will do something about it. I look forward to seeing the score drop consistently for years to come, once whoever/whatever is driving this fake voting moves onto a new project.

An unsurprising, mind-numbing interminable bore

Author: frankdistefano from United States
13 June 2012

What a disappointment, although really not surprised at how bad it was. A totally boring, endless and mostly witless movie aimed at brain-deadened people who think that special effects, explosions and fantasy but definitely not fantastic characters make for a great movie. The cinematography was gray and cloudy, the editing incomprehensible, and the acting unsurprising and depressingly familiar. Simple, human emotions, which used to be integral to a movie are now so rare. Noise and all-too-familiar mayhem have been substituted. The attention span of the audience, when not being bombarded by yet another special effect, shifts quickly to their cell phone when things slow down even a bit. To think that more-of-the-same will be the order of the day is depressing. Count me out.

Most DISAPPOINTING Superhero show in 2012

Author: danieltay47
29 June 2012

At first when I heard of this show, I was kinda excited about it. But when I went to the cinemas yesterday to watch it, I was tempted to leave my seat already at the early part of the show. It's not the characters or actors that is horrible, it's the director to be honest. I don't know how the script writers come what with this or even how the director approve it, but the lines and conversation were so fake, blunt and seriously horrible. It lakes emotions, feelings or even creativeness. Let alone, the whole plot is too predictable and boring. No doubt the action scenes is good and the graphic is awesome, but the plot and horrible lines just make this show right at the bottom of my list for shows in 2012. I rather watch "The Dark Knight" anytime rather than this horrible show. Even friends of mine who are crazy about DC and Marvel comics were absolutely disappointed in this show. In fact, they leave the theatres during halfway of the show. This is just an example to show how horrible it is. All in short, this show to me is not worth watching or buying and was a waste of 143 minutes of my time.

Page 2 of 160:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]