The Avengers (2012) Poster

(2012)

1,744 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Bad-ass descent-amazing superhero MCU action flick defenders of the earth my favorite
ivo-cobra82 July 2017
Marvel's The Avengers (2012) is an awesome descent MCU superhero action flick that is spectacular and a real good one. The first time I watched it on my computer I loved it. I have seen this movie many times in the row I have this film on DVD and Blu-ray. The movie features an ensemble cast that includes Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg, Cobie Smulders, Stellan Skarsgård, and Samuel L. Jackson. Joss Whedon did a fine job directing the film and I loved it is definitely in my top 10 favorite MCU superhero films. In the finale battle in New York the moment right there.. WILL NEVER... EVER.. BE AS COOL.. LIKE THIS WAS A COMIC MASTERPIECE.. I don't even read comics, but I did superheroes when I was younger.. I have a feeling justice league will never have this cohesion... this team work.. and will never be able to recreate this feeling.

Robert Downey Jr. does a good job as a Iron Man he has a lot of good moments when he talks with Loki. In the third act he has to fight Thor that was cool then in the third act he had to do a lot of stuff, did the final stuff to safe the world. He is very much star of the film, that is why he number 1 star of the film he was payed a lot of more money then the other actors did ,but he deserved it he did a good job. Chris Evans as Captain America was spectacular I love his character I love how he defended and safe those people in the restaurant against Loki's army I thought that was descent. He does kick some ass when Thor hits him he uses his shield when SHIELD's ship was attacked he and Iron Man were trying to fix the ship I loved that.

Mark Ruffalo was okay as The Hulk I thought he was better than Edward Norton's Hulk at least that is my opinion. Chris Hemsworth I liked him as Thor he was great. Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow was fantastic what does she do? She deals with the Hulk and Hawkeye the evil Hawkeye which I think is great. Jeremy Renner I like him a as an actor he is cool, he is mostly the bad guy in the film till the third act. In the third act he did a lot of cool stuff, he is cool with arrows. Loki he did fine the actor did fine as the villain I like him and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury did fine.

In the film, Nick Fury, director of the peacekeeping organization S.H.I.E.L.D., recruits Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and Thor to form a team that must stop Thor's brother Loki from subjugating Earth.

The pacing to me I thought it was little boring and it was too long but the third act was really was fast paced and the movie interested how 6 superheroes become a team who turn in to Avengers I think there was a lot of action scenes in the film that were really well done. I like special effect, I had a lot of fun scenes Hulk punching Thor or punching Loki when he said is emperor. That was fun, the film it self had a lot of action it self's.

It was entertaining, the CGI was really good, Robert Downey Jr. had a lot funny moments and hilarious dialogues. I have more enjoyed Captain America because he cared more about people and of course Iron Man he saved the world from Loki's invaders. I thought it was an alright and I love it. It is definitely my favorite MARVEL superhero movie.

Admittedly the first half or so isn't nearly as epic as the final 30 minutes. And the plot isn't that original. But I got what I paid for with this flick, Awesome action with Earth's Mightiest Heroes kicking alien ass.

The Avengers in my honest opinion was better than Man of Steel because right next year DC superman movie come out that I have hated it and I wish I could have get the money back. I am going to try and sell the movie out.

Marvel's The Avengers (classified under the name Marvel Avengers Assemble in the United Kingdom and Ireland), or simply The Avengers, is a 2012 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the sixth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film was written and directed by Joss Whedon.

I have reviewed 2 years the second movie twice and as a MARVEL fan I can say I have enjoyed this movie much more than Avengers: Age of Ultron. I am waiting now on Avengers: Infinity War and of course Spider-Man: Homecoming which is a spin off Captain America: Civil War like I said I have enjoy all three Captain America Films and I enjoy both Avenger films and I love Iron Man and Iron Man Three I am one of the fans that I liked that films. The rating I give is 10/10
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Are movies so bad now that a film like this is considered great?
thefilmexpert30 April 2012
Have movies become so bad these days that a merely well-executed totally formulaic film, like "The Avengers," is heralded as an exceptional film?

Sure, this film hits all the marks and has some good one-liners, but once we expected films to be refreshing and new. "Star Wars," while having obvious flaws, provided us a totally new universe with its own unique political conflicts, worlds, and even its own theology (the force). Its first twenty-minutes is mostly watching the story of a robotic English dandy (C3-P0) argue with a chirping rolling trashcan (R2-D2), but amazingly enough Lucas made that unique and crazy idea entertaining. The plot of "The Avengers" is just your run-of-the-mill comic book story-line. Compare its plot to that of "Inception" or "The Matrix" or even "Back to the Future" or "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Much of what makes those films so great is that their plots are highly innovative. You have no idea where they are going. You always know exactly where "The Avengers" is going.

Along these same lines, "Psycho," "The Empire Strikes Back," "The Matrix," etc. provide classic twists--Norman has gone insane and has, in his mind, become his mother, the film's apparent killer; Darth Vader, the film's main villain, is revealed to be Luke's father; the first half of "The Matrix" turns out to have transpired in a totally false reality. Nobody expected these twists. What unexpected occurs in "The Avengers"? Even its minor twists have appeared in other recent films. Its most significant--Loki allowing his own capture--comes straight from "The Dark Knight."

Gangster films before "The Godfather" were just pulp. "The Godfather" transcended the genre just as "Unforgiven" did with Westerns. The same is true about "The Dark Knight." "The Avengers" doesn't transcend; it regurgitates a done-to-death plot. Unlike "The Avengers," "The Dark Knight" was more than a comic book film. It was entertaining, compelling, yet it explored complex moral ideas, and its plot went in innovative directions. Did anyone know that "The Dark Knight" would end not with a fistfight but instead with a battle between the Joker and Batman for Harvey Dent's soul, a scene that leaves it open to interpretation whether the Joker or Batman really won in the end, a scene far more compelling than any sequence of destruction could ever be? And did anyone NOT know that "The Avengers" would end with a huge battle with the Avengers ultimately triumphant? Uncertainty about how a plot will be resolved is what once kept the audience hooked, not the continual spectacle of fights and explosions. In fact, look at the IMDb Top 250. With how many of these films would you know exactly how they'd end if you were seeing them for the first time? In fact, apart from the cartoons, is there a single entry as totally formulaic as "The Avengers" is?

And let's not forget, did you ever worry that any of the Avengers would not survive? If not, then where was the real dramatic tension? One of the things that made "The Dark Knight" so compelling is that one of its two heroes not only dies but is also believably turned evil before he is killed. And did anyone expect what happened to Rachel Dawes, Harvey Dent's girlfriend? One of the things that made "Psycho" so dramatic is its main protagonist dies halfway through the film. Great films--serious or fun--must make the audience feel that there is something truly at stake.

And do I even have to go into how voting to give "The Avengers" a 10 places it on par with the all-time great works of film art--"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "Schindler's List," "Taxi Driver," "Apocalypse Now," "Citizen Kane", "Vertigo," "Crimes and Misdemeanors," "8 1/2," "Manhattan," "Cinema Paradiso" etc.? A vote of 10 for a film like this diminishes the worth of these works of art that explore the deepest issues concerning the human condition.

Though I've brought up some films that are darker than "The Avengers" or more serious, that is not my complaint about "The Avengers" at all. "Star Wars, " "The Empire Strikes Back," "Back to the Future," "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" were fun movies, but they also had plots that went in unexpected directions, had surprising twists, introduced us to unique characters. The elements I've listed here are what make a film exceptional and deserving of an incredibly high rating. Just a well-done totally formulaic movie like "The Avengers" simply does not deserve the praise it is getting. Of course this film does not deserve a 1 out of 10. I would really give it 3 or maybe 3 1/2 out of 5 stars, which is equivalent to a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the IMDb rating scale. However, until others don't alter their votes to put "The Avengers" more in line with where it should be in comparison to other great entertaining films of history, my vote will remain a 1.

Go watch "The Avengers" a few more times. Once you've gotten used to the 3-D, the special effects, the digital surround sound, you'll see that the film is predictable, the jokes are so-so, and the violence of the fights and of the long climactic end battle actually gets kind of boring.

If you're a teenager still reading comics or a lover of comic books who's always dreamed of watching Hulk fight Thor, Thor fight Iron Man, then this movie is what you've always been waiting for, but for the rest of us, "The Avengers" is not the tour de force it's been made out to be.

Oh wait a sec.

I just learned that there's a movie based on "Battleship"--you know, that dull board game for eight-year-olds. I guess movies really are that bad. If you compare "The Avengers" only to garbage like that, I guess it really does seem great.

Never mind...
1,046 out of 1,582 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Unstoppable Force of Awesomeness! All Hail The New King!
krieg881425412 April 2012
I have got to tell anyone who will listen that this is one of THE best adventure movies I've ever seen. It's almost impossible to convey how pumped I am now that I've seen it. I purposefully avoid hyping myself for movies because when expectations are too high, nothing seems to be able to reach them. I usually avoid the hype train whenever possible. That said, I was jacked to see this movie and was fully aboard the hype train. It couldn't be helped. So, I was certainly open to intense disappointment had this movie not been good. I'm so happy to report just the opposite has happened.

The only word I can think of to describe this movie is AWESOME. It's amazing work and everything I had hoped for and more. It's exceptional entertainment for the uninitiated but it has everything a fanboy could want to be sure. It has every little nuance of what a fanboy wants to see. One of the MANY things I loved was the tension and flat out conflict that arises between team members. It's not a two dimensional "team wonderful that bands together to fight crime ho ho ho." Most don't like each other at fist and there is so much texture to be played. That is great because so many of these characters are larger than life. They have egos and the big guns aren't used to working with other people or even playing by the rules. Stark, Thor and Banner all work "the other side of the fence" so to speak. Then there's the Widow, Hawkeye and Captain America who are used to following orders and playing within a command structure. They are all thrown together in a wonderful and, best of all, believable fashion. Again, more than I ever dreamed possible.

The entire cast really delivered. You needed more than just action actors or stunt doubles to play all these parts. The pathos is there but so are the timing and true deep performances. Look, I was missing Ed Norton as much as anyone on that hype train I talked about but I'm so happy to say that Mark Ruffalo won me over. I hope he's locked up for the long haul because we don't need any more changes. Three was the lucky number for movie Banners. Every other actor in Avnegers that we've seen before is BETTER than their previous incarnation (EVERY single one) with the possible exception of RDJ as Stark. He's great but it's hard to top his take on the character from the original Iron Man in an ensemble movie. I also have to fully disclose that I'm insanely attracted to Scarlett Johansson. I thought her Widow character was amazing but I'm definitely judging that through rose colored glasses. The character arcs that run there course during this film will surprise a lot of general audiences expecting nothing more than a Transformers type popcorn scarfdown.

I honestly don't want to give away ANY of the movie with this review because this is one film that needs every scene to be savored. Do yourself a favor and remain unspoiled. It's how I saw the movie (apart from what the trailers showed) and even though you're obviously reading this review, read no others with any kind of spoilers whatsoever. Experience the awesomeness for yourself. Avengers as a movie and as a team on screen is an unstoppable force. I'm just going to say, Hulk & Thor combination equals AWESOME and leave it at that. This movie defines MUST SEE.
832 out of 1,358 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They balanced everything masterfully. As Good As It Gets!!!
Elle19 April 2012
If you're a fan of epic adventure movies, then this is your dream come true. This is the type of film you fantasized about growing up! It really is the ultimate superhero mash-up and it's done perfectly. The makers of this film certainly understand spectacle but they also get the intricacies and depth these type of characters can provide. That right there assures this instant classic will be thought of as the best as well as the biggest film of 2012. The depth of this movie really did surprise me. Even though the high quality of the actors involved and there previous work as these very same characters seemed to indicate otherwise, I was expecting a wild popcorn movie. I was wrong in thinking it was too much to convey in one film. I couldn't be more pleased because they balanced everything masterfully. Sure, there's the popcorn fun we were all expecting but there's also a definite soul to the film and a smart plot as well. It's truly a stupendous movie regardless of genre.

Marvel did it, they pulled off the culmination of a master plan that's been taking shape for years. They deliver a movie the likes of which we've never seen before and as good of a film that's ever been made in its genre.

There's a reason this grand of a movie has never been attempted before now. How do you fully flesh out, care about and establish this vast group and still deliver a fun, crisp and coherent story? It's extremely difficult to navigate that edge-of-your-seat excitement while at the same time caring about each one of the characters and their struggles. One of the most impressive aspects of The Avengers is that they managed to get each hero their time in the spotlight and their own character arc. Every single main lead steps up and is treated with remarkable intelligence and given room to shine.

I loved that the stakes in this film are ridiculously high and the threat so impressive that there really is a need for these diverse characters to come together. That could have been a stumbling block in terms of story but it's treated just right. It's also a great idea that they chose to introduce all the characters to the audience as if you've never seen them before. Sure, the other films set up and give depth to each character but even if you missed their solo films, you'll still know and care about them in this movie.

It's also wonderful that everything is as big as it should be. This truly is the comic book epic of our lifetime (the fanboy version of Gone With The Wind circa 1939 if you will) and it all shows up on screen. Everything looks GREAT and feels epic. The equipment (love that Helicarrier), the relationships, the stars, the characters themselves and the battles are all huge and as fully mesmerizing as they should be. There are scenes that are emotional and there are scenes that are going to make any audience member scream "BADASS!" and mean it.

I'm serious when I say that the big, explosive moments are as grand as they should be but it's the smaller character moments in this film that really take it to another level. At this point, we've all seen how good some CG action can get but grounding it with a great story and with meaningful quieter moments is what makes a movie good. That's the ace up the Avengers sleeve. This is NOT some CGI video game movie. Cut out the action and I'd still want to see this movie. So, it's safe to say that they are replicating the comic book experience on the big screen. Years of depth coupled with spectacle and advanced fiction is a treat for non-comic book and comic book fans alike. That's is The Avengers greatest power... the ability to entertain all comers!
392 out of 645 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Avengers assembled flawlessly
Twodude Review20 April 2012
I'm sorry to say The Avengers isn't a good movie; it's a GREAT MOVIE!!!! It's not only the best team superhero movie ever made, but it may just be the best comic book adaption made period! The Avengers is the culmination of what began in Iron Man; and continued through The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. It was only a few years ago that my son and I had just finished watching Iron Man and as the credits were ending, Samuel L. Jackson appeared on screen as Nick Fury and spoke to Tony Stark about joining Avengers Initiative…in that short scene, the framework for potentially the greatest comic book movie of all-time had begun! Director Joss Whedon, most known for the T.V. series Buffy The Vampire Slayer, takes the foundation that was built in the prior films and brings together the greatest team of superheroes in film history, The Avengers: Iron Man/Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America/Steve Rogers (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Hulk/Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) as "assembled" by Nick Fury. Whedon's scripts usually include clever banter, gripping action sequences and an air of mystery and The Avengers is no different. Whedon has an utter love for comic books, and it is proudly put on display in The Avengers. The cast does a great job of bringing these iconic characters to life, beginning with Robert Downey Jr. Unlike Iron Man 2, in which Downey seemed to skate through scene after scene, Downey plays Stark almost effortlessly, delivering his lines with relative ease allowing his charisma, charm and smugness to shine through; Robert Downey Jr. IS Tony Stark! Chris Evans' solidifies himself in the role of Captain America. He was very good in his solo film, but truly owns the role standing alongside Iron Man and Thor. Chris Hemsworth's Asgardian god Thor has some incredible battle scenes and indirectly provides one of the film's most funny moments. After being seriously underutilized in Iron Man 2, Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow is provided a back-story, which helps in developing the character and provides an opportunity to prove she is much more than just a pretty face; she's as dangerous psychologically as she is physically. I could envision myself enjoying a beat-down at the hands (and feet) of Black Widow. The character I was most concerned about being given little story and the least amount of screen time was Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye; happily, he's not left by the wayside and does a more than admirable job of developing the character. Hawkeye stands alongside Robin Hood and Katniss Everdene (The Hunger Games) as the best archers to grace the silver screen. I'd like to see more of him in a film of his own. Mark Ruffalo, the most recent choice to play Hulk, is far better suited to the role than Eric Bana (The Hulk) and Ed Norton Jr (The Incredible Hulk). Ruffalo looks more the part of the nerdy scientist Banner and plays the part without looking angry in every scene. In The Avengers, the Hulk is at his most impressive, both in his on-screen transformation and the violence he displays when the opportunity calls for him to "hulk out". If any character appeared to stand out a little bit more than the others, for me it was the Hulk. Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury is finally more than just the guy making surprise appearances. Fury is finally able to stretch his legs some, and Jackson slides quite easily into the role. Clark Gregg's Agent Caulson returns, and Cobie Smulders makes her Marvel films debut as Agent Maria Hill, and she is a welcome addition. The film's main villain is Thor's adopted-brother Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston. You would think the part would be a difficult one to play being opposite such powerful personalities and strong characters, but Hiddleston does a fantastic job; the performance should not go unnoticed, because it's one of the strong points of the film. Loki is not a villain without purpose and Hiddleston comes across as a devious mastermind without being cartoonish. At a running-time of 2+ hours, The Avengers is well paced and time flies by. The effects are top-notch, the acting is very good, and the script drives the movie elevating its strengths. For viewers that may not have seen any of the other films (and if so, why not!?!?), we're provided just enough information to bring everyone up to speed without feeling overdone. Whedon provides more than just a standard comic book film, but a story with reason that's backed up with incredible action and humor. Although the film is filled with larger than life characters, none are short changed; each character is given at least one great scene to work with, and the opportunities don't go to waste. The film's finale provides a deafening crescendo of action that is breathtaking. As usual with Marvel films, be sure to stay around for the post credit sequence, which provides a surprising reveal. I went into The Avengers with unfairly high expectations, due to all of those that were involved, as well as the films that came before it. After viewing the initial trailers and not being blown away, I had set myself up for disappointment. It was only a matter of minutes after the film started that I was put at ease, and just minutes later when my expectations were blown away. I never imagined that it was possible to put onto the screen, what I was watching. I'm happy that Marvel had the sense to keep these properties to themselves and to move forward with these characters in the manner in which they did. Marvel Studios and Disney are going to make a boatload of money off this film, and deservedly so; because there's never been another movie made of its caliber. Grade: A+
824 out of 1,415 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
LA Review of 'The Avengers' (No spoilers)
Captain Marvel16 April 2012
LA Review of 'The Avengers' (No spoilers)

I was lucky enough to attend the Marvel screening of 'The Avengers' on Saturday morning in Century City, CA. This was an unusual screening as movies of this caliber are not screened some three weeks before it's release date. Just minutes before the movie started, we were all surprised when writer/director Joss Whedon walked in with Kevin Feige to introduced their little "Justice League" movie. Not only did we all laugh, but some booed. lol. If that wasn't enough of a surprise, the soft spoken Whedon introduced on stage Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Tom Hiddleston (Loki), Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson) and Cobie Smulders (Agent Maria Hill). Wow is she stunning in person! The audience gave them all a standing ovation with deafening cheers! (This explained why the secret service like security were searching, wanding everyone. No cameras, cell phones, nothing was allowed in.) What a nice surprise for an early Saturday morning screening.

I've never read comic books. This is a comic book movie. It was made for hardcore fans of comics, and I appreciate the care Joss Whedon gives to this movie. It was very entertaining to see Tony Stark (Iron Man), Thor, Dr. Bruce Banner (Hulk), Steve Rogers (Captain America), Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow), Clint Barton (Hawkeye), Agent Maria Hill, Agent Phil Coulson and Director Nick Fury all interact with one another.

Capt. Steve Rogers was fighting in WWII just yesterday. Having been recently awoken from his frozen sleep, he struggles to fit in our modern world with all this technology around us. The God of Thunder, Thor, is not from this world (realm) and doesn't understand modern technology on Earth as well. Dr. Bruce Banner has been on the run from the government, practicing medicine in third world countries. He hasn't been the Hulk in two years (What's his secret? ;). Tony Stark is still the same, playing with this high tech toys and inventing new technology. So how do you get them all to interact and play well together? Well, Director Joss Whedon is the secret to making it all work.

The highlight of the film for me is how Joss Whedon has all these characters interact. Deep character development was not needed for this film. (That is what the respective movies are for: Thor, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: The First Avenger) He does a great job of not forcing dialogue, and the interaction of the characters is much more organic than I would have ever anticipated. That is where Whedon deserves the most credit. He took what appears to be a very silly premise, with silly looking characters and made it completely work. Seeing as the Avengers comics date back to the 1960s, you can tell he not only did his homework, but he really cares deeply for the material, and his passion definitely shows on- screen.

The movie is vastly entertaining. The Action scenes are amazing and satisfying. Nobody is short changed when it comes to the fighting or action sequences. I felt as if there was not a single bad performance. A couple of dialogue lines seemed off, but once you remember who the character is, and why they talk the way they do (think of where they come from), it all makes sense. Each respective character is true and honest to itself. Each of the characters brought their personality (from their respective movie) to the table. It is by far the best Marvel movie to date.

So who was my personal favorite character from the movie? Dr. Bruce Banner (played by Mark Ruffalo) of course! He is by far the BEST Bruce Banner/Hulk since Bill Bixby. His intelligence (genius) is unparalleled (greater than Tony Stark's) and his compassion for human lives is what drives the good side of his character. As a kid growing up, he was my favorite Marvel super hero. I enjoyed watching Bill Bixby play medical doctor/physicist Dr. David Banner on television. I'd watch, terrified with my hands up to my face, as he transformed into the raging green hulk. Yet i was so fascinated with him being a scientist, helping those in need. When Mark Ruffalo was first announced to play Bruce Banner, i didn't know what to think of it. I knew that he's a good actor. All he needs is the right director to get the needed on-screen character out of him. I really hope they make an Incredible Hulk movie sequel starring Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner. Or at least, i vote for him to reprise his role in any sequel. He was a natural fit for this role.

Overall, the best thing about these characters is that they are not silly twenty-something terrible actors who were chosen for on-screen eye candy. They all do a fine job of bringing these characters to life and their chemistry together works great. Assembled, they are unstoppable. When i heard an Avengers movie was rumored to be in the works, i was ecstatic. The day has finally come. Go see it. Thrice. 10/10 Stars.
614 out of 1,052 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Comic Book Triumph!
emily-k-mccole15 April 2012
I was lucky enough to be included in the group to see the advanced screening in Melbourne on the 15th of April, 2012. And, firstly, I need to say a big thank-you to Disney and Marvel Studios.

Now, the film... how can I even begin to explain how I feel about this film? It is, as the title of this review says a 'comic book triumph'. I went into the film with very, very high expectations and I was not disappointed.

Seeing Joss Whedon's direction and envisioning of the film come to life on the big screen is perfect. The script is amazingly detailed and laced with sharp wit a humor. The special effects are literally mind-blowing and the action scenes are both hard-hitting and beautifully choreographed.

While all of these things (script, action, special effects and so on and so forth) are important... it's no good having them spot on if you don't have a cast that just isn't right. But fortunately, for fans and for the actors involved, Whedon's cast not only work brilliantly together but are perfectly comfortable wailing on each other and threatening each other all day and night.

The actors' performances in "Marvel's The Avengers" are simply captivating and there are many instances where we get a glimpse further into their characters pasts and innermost feelings. Robert Downey Jr. will have you in stitches. Scarlett Johansson will have you staring in disbelief as she winds her way through sticky situations. And Tom Hiddleston will have you simply shaking in your seat with fear.

All in all, Marvel's The Avengers is a visual delight and I cannot wait to see it again, and again, and again. Marvel fans will not be disappointed, and something tells me that most of you will agree with me wholeheartedly.

The Avengers, assembled and awe-inspiring. Ten out of ten.
582 out of 1,010 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Stunning Visual Effects-Driven Spectacle
Calum Rhys12 July 2014
'Avengers Assemble' ('The Avengers') is a truly enjoyable superhero film that lives up to its hype and creates a story that allows for four of the greatest superheroes to connect in this mega-blockbuster extravaganza. Joss Whedon has created one of the most action-packed Marvel films to have graced the screen, full of humour, thrills and a great cast of characters, all of which impel this visual effects-driven spectacle. Whilst I had the great opportunity to watch this epic in the cinema in 3D, the film is equally as stunning on an average television set, with the final battle between the Avengers and Loki's army being one of the most spectacular scenes in a superhero movie. An impressive and remarkable fantastical superhero flick from Whedon.
68 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kia0014 April 2012
This remarkable movie easily fulfilled and then exceeded all expectations. I've been waiting for this movie since Sam Jackson's character uttered those famous words after the first Iron Man film... Stark now knows he's not the only superhero in his world and it's as big a treat for our real world as it gets. Seeing the "Avenger Initiative" in action is as great as I would ever have hoped! Hell, who am I kidding, I've been waiting to see this movie all my life. Who would've thought years ago that ALL these characters could fit in to a film and all of them be done justice? It delivers greatness from scene one and has to be considered the best this genre has EVER produced. Truthfully, as good as some of the previous work has been from every studio, nothing else has come close. That's not hyperbole; I really think most will agree if they see it with an open mind. I loved this movie's depth, heart, humor, gravitas, action, performances, emotion and payoff. I honestly can't wait to see it again with the rest of the world later. Right now, I'm simply basking in the greatness I just witnessed!
373 out of 661 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Greatest superhero movie in history
flblueeyedboy21 January 2015
Saw the preview at the end of Thor back in 2011... had to wait almost a year to experience the global phenomenon first-hand. The theater experience wasn't something to forget.

All in all, the title of this review says it all. 'Marvel's The Avengers' is quite possibly the greatest superhero movie in history. The combination of hardcore assassins Widow and Hawkeye, reclusive Banner, arrogant Iron Man, leader Cap and the Norse brothers Thor and Loki mixes itself together into a concoction of personalities and superpowers which guarantees to impress.

Marvel has set the bar high for themselves. Since its release, only a select few superhero movies have compared to it. And all of them have been Marvel!
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing Short of Amazing
dreamerboi2314 April 2012
I just saw the early screening for San Diego through the top 10 cities on facebook who got them. And suffice to say I am glad I was privileged enough to.

First off, this hands down is the best Marvel movie ever. I don't say that lightly. And in terms of superhero movie with maybe the Nolan Batman series being tied with this, I thought Whedon did an amazing job to bring out all these characters in this one movie. I especially like what was done with Hawkeye and Black Widow just because those two didn't really have their individual movie with their back story.

You can tell when a comic book fan writes and directs a comic movie because it clearly showed in all areas of production for this film. Going into the film I honestly thought that a lot of the cool mutant action scenes would be strictly Iron Man and Captain America. But Whedon does such a great job giving each mutant their 15 mins of fame and by the end of it you seriously feel like "Wow this guy/chick is a badass" for every mutant. I will admit i am not a Hulk fan. I like the inner story for it but was never a fan of the films, show or comic. But Hulk's role in the movie is so awesome I became a fan just from it.

If any of you are Whedon fans then you guys/girls will love this movie. It has his M.O. written all over the humor and story presentation. And there were definitely parts in the movie where I thought "Wow this seems like Firefly and Serenity". And story aside, if you read, watched, or idolized Marvel superheros as a kid, the action alone will make you cheer just out of sheer nostalgia of imagining The Avengers or X-Men all together on the screen kicking ass.

In summation, I don't need to say you NEED to watch this movie because I think anybody who is anybody already knows they want to see this. All this review has done was just reaffirm the hype behind this movie. I don't say this much but job well done Marvel and Disney for hiring a writer/director who has the audaciousness to keep it honest and true for those most dedicated comic fans who are the backbone of Marvel comics being a success. And in this day and age of superhero movies and movies in general that is very hard to do. Cheers Joss Whedon!
402 out of 730 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Avengers is an amazing movie with an amazing cast
Lucy Mernit30 October 2014
"The Avengers" brings together a group of extremely talented actors and epic superheroes, to create an action packed movie with hilarious banter laced into countless scenes. Superhero movies give actors a chance to play new characters with personalities they have never portrayed before. Chris Evans is the extremely passionate and kind hearted Captain America, while Robert Downey Jr is the tougher and sassier Iron Man. The film is very creative with introducing each character and later bringing them together. The villain, Loki Laufeyson, played by Tom Hiddleston, even shows his weak spots and is almost seen as part of the Avengers team. The actors have fantastic chemistry with each other on and off screen, and they make man- tights and capes look more fashionable than ever. The majority of the film is done by special effects, made by an amazing team. They transform New York City into a place for heroes, placing Tony Stark's towering house in the middle of the city. Even at the end of the film, the unsuspecting Tony Stark is willing to sacrifice himself for the good of everyone else. This is a wonderful movie to watch if you want to be thoroughly entertained while having your feeling played with at the same time.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a fabulous film that proved the dominant superhero films
alindsay-al21 October 2014
After all the films leading to this one we were promised the Avengers on screen and this film gave us that big time. This film sees a group of big personalities having to come together and defeat a mad man and his army from enslaving humanity. One of the most important parts of the build up to this film was Robert Downey jnr's performance as Tony stark/iron man, and he is just as awesome in this film. His character grows in all these films but he is still the narcissist that we love. Also Chris Evans as captain America was really important as he is the leader and comes across as the moral compass of the whole film but he isn't boring which is great for the character. The rest of the performances are great as well, first of all is the recasting of Mark ruffalo as Bruce banner/hulk and he was the biggest surprise in this film. He was great in both roles and the hulk has absolutely never been better then this film. Chris Hemsworth is back as Thor and this guy is absolutely seriously movie star and makes this character a great character full of personality. Scarlett Johansson returns as black widow and she is sexy and tough while also proving that she is also the best female in these superhero films around. Samuel L Jackson is back as Nick fury and he is great as the character and squeezes the most he can out of this great character. The one member of the team that isn't really developed is Hawkeye, he isn't really himself for the most of the movie but even then the last battle he becomes great. What is important in a film like this is having a great villain and Tom hiddlestone as Loki definitely succeeds at that. He is just so fun to watch and you buy that he could pull off all this destruction. Sometimes simplicity is best for a story and this is one of those times, it has happened before that a group of combustible elements have to team up but this film gets the most out of it and adds real drama to the film. The script is the best part of the film and the dialogue between the characters is what makes this film so enjoyable to watch because it makes all the characters feel unique and there own personalities. The style of this film is great, the action is all enjoyable and the film looks great but I have to mention the show stealer that is the incredible hulk. This is the best interpretation of the hulk and he looks better then ever and he is possibly the best character in the film. Overall this is one of my favourite films ever and this is a comic book fans dream.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Flat out Exceptional Movie Event. (Best Villain in Years!)
scotts86321 April 2012
I'm happy to report that everything established in previous movies pays dividends in a big way. It's not that anyone needs to see those other Avenger solo films before seeing this gem but it certainly adds depth and texture to this amazing product. Not having to intro big main characters deeply allows the action to flow but also allows for better development. This also allows them to probe deeper into the character's personalities. This heightens the tension, so often missing from comic-book movies, and adds real weight to the story as well as the action sequences which are thrilling and often mesmerizing. The result is a film that's just flat out exceptional.

Of course all the phenomenal heroes got to shine and the story accommodated them all perfectly. What I loved is that Marvel did it again with their main villain. Loki was just so wonderful and complex in this amazing movie. Spurned Loki masterfully dances on the fault lines of villainy and redemption. He always keep people guessing and. Again, that's just shear perfection coming from the god of mischief. He has such a mixture of emotional psychological complexity. You have somebody who's capable of thinking and strategizing at the speed of light, but underneath that is a deep well of pain that at any moment threatens to boil over and Tom Hiddleston plays it like the master he has become. This is Oscar worthy villain performance good.

The performances in this movie are as good as any I've ever seen in an adventure film. The great actors say that acting akin to playing tennis. The rally that they play with a new partner is completely different from one to the other. Each of these GREAT actors have such specific talents that it's fun to see them play off each other at different times in this movie. I think Whedon realized this as both director and writer and shuffled things around on purpose to play to strengths. It's just another wonderful aspect of this spectacular movie event.
211 out of 396 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Plot, Costume, and Theme Review
loughjordan25 September 2015
Knowing a little bit about comic books, and knowing some about Avengers Assemble it made this film The Avengers, directed by Joss Whedon, even more enjoyable for me.

When Earth comes under attack by Asgardian Loki (Tom Hiddleston) in his pursuit to get the Tesseract, it is up to S.H.I.E.L.D. to pull start up The Avengers. After a small town is almost completely destroyed by Thor on a previous visit to Earth S.H.I.E.L.D. decided that they needed something that could take on anything that was not from "this world". So when Nick Fury calls on some of the biggest heroes Earth has ever met: Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Black Widow (Scarelett Johansson), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Captain America (Chris Evans), and of course Thor (Chris Hemsworth).

The theme of this movie in my opinion would be Man vs. Man. This is because throughout the entire film there is some sort of conflict going on. The first and main conflict that appears is Loki attacking S.H.I.E.L.D. takes control of Hawkeye and Dr. Selvig in order to steal the Tesseract and use it for his own purposes. A second conflict that appears in the film is between Thor and Loki. When Thor still considers them brothers Loki retaliates and says that he is not really his brother and that he should still be the "true" ruler of Asgard.

With the costumes that have been chosen for this film it helps to create the aspect of the heroes being more than a normal human. Even with Hawkeye and Black Widow, Black Widow had been trained pretty much from birth to become a killer, and Hawkeye has advance skills in marksmanship. With Thor's costume he is wearing something that helps to prove that he is not from Earth and from another world. Now for Iron Man, he made his own super suit that could do almost anything, which includes keeping him safe from being torn up from the roaders on the ship that S.H.I.E.L.D. was functioning from after an attack from Loki and his minions.

Finally, in the final attack with Loki and The Avengers, Thor takes Loki back to Asgard to deal with his faults there where the intention is for him to be properly punished.

This is a must see film especially if you are a comic book junkie!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
People are too easy to please
pfate129 May 2012
Consider: I am not a comic book reader.

Therefore my opinion probably means little to most of you. I just do not understand the love for this movie. The Avengers has every standard comic movie cliché that any movie goer has seen in the last decade. A typical, tired story arc involving a bland, evil, power-hungry, villain who seeks to make the inhabitants of earth submit to his authority. The only comic villain (or character for that matter) who has really challenged the audience in this age of comic movies was Heath Ledger's Joker. Loki, our villain, has been given nothing interesting to do.

Our heroes are then summoned to meet this threat. Instead of one hero coming to the rescue, The Avengers gives us a coalition of Marvel favorites such as Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Captain America, and the only intriguing member of the bunch, Iron Man. The rest of our heroes provide little humor nor have anything captivating to say. To top it off, we get a routine showdown in the end involving our heroes against an endless barrage of CGI bad guys summoned by the villain in... guess where? Manhattan, how original.

This humble reviewers opinion is obviously not the norm. Hollywood knows just what people and the box office receipts and IMDb rating indicate just that.

If you are looking for something fresh, smart, and innovate, skip The Avengers.
826 out of 1,655 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
8.8 Is most likely "Cheated"
pro-wows11 May 2012
There is no way this is legit 8.8. The movie is comparable to Transformers 3.(Rated a 6).

Look I loved the following recent action hero movies. Spiderman (1-3), Dark Knight, Super 8, Iron Man(1-2), Transformers(1-2)

I really don't dislike that many movies. I'm not being cynical. This movie really is just a cluster ..... There's no emotion to the whole thing. Its dull and flat. It also feels very "PG"

Its the definition of cliché when it comes to super hero movies. There's no bar being raised, there is nothing new being done. The entire script is just a bunch of predictable non sense jargon with no meaning. There's no event in the movie where i go wow, that is original. Or go wow this movie gives me emotion and it really immerses me in the experience(Watch the beginning of star trek).

My only thoughts is that Walt Disney Pictures did black hat tactics to hype this movie through social networks. I cannot and will not believe people think this movie is worth an 8.8.

I really did want to walk out of the theater. This movie is forgettable and I was very disappointed and let down. This movie really just feels like another "average" super hero movie. But the expectation of it being good just makes it worse.
608 out of 1,216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exceptional! Oh my God. Oh. My. God. My mind is blown.
Two Gun14 April 2012
I just loved Marvel's Avengers. I thought it was smart and the impressive cast really delivered! This movie works on so many levels and makes you draw on just about all of your emotions. I don't remember when I enjoyed a movie this much! Such cool fantasy but what makes it extra special is following this film after all the other solo efforts from each character. I enjoyed the others films quite a bit but they all delivered something different. Seeing them blend together in Avengers and the sparks that resulted was the extra special treat. Example: They blended the grounded futurist (Tony Stark) with the Norse thunder god and his angry brother in a perfect way. Same could be said for every other character. It all works. In fact, it doesn't just fit, it's a symphony and that dyconomy and difference in characters are what makes it truly great. It's why this movie stands so tall above any other franchise at the moment. Things like Transformers, GI Joe and even Star Trek all operate with monotone restrictions. Avengers covers all angles and delivers depth with its fun.

I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in years if not ever!
299 out of 586 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
meanwhile
maddog-5011 May 2012
film studios just found out that a lot of moviegoers rely on "reviews" like internet buyers rely on customer reviews.

It is known, that many big internet shops hire review-agencies those only job it is to fake authentic looking customer reviews because a lot of buyers trust the reviews of other customers more than any magazine reviews.

That's what is happening here. 80% of the reviews here are written by professional review-agencies which got paid by the studios. If you look closer and compare the text of those "best movie ever" reviews (or variations of that, such as "i did not expect much, i am not a superhero fan, but this was greatest beyond belief" ) with reviews written at other moviegoer platforms, you will find a lot of equal phrases and text blocks.

I guess that IMDb is aware of that cheating and they support it.

This movie is another superhero movie with the very same formula. Superheros need super problems to solve, so that they can shine. Each hero has to face the kind of super problem which is appropriate to his/her individual super powers. They only can defeat the evil threat when they work as a team. But suddenly some social problems between them jeopardize the whole mission to save the humanity from that super tread, as you can guess, and only towards the end they find together again and etc., etc.. A story for retarded eight-year-old's, flavored with as much CGI as you little brain can swallow in the time.

A stupid movie with a stupid story, stupid characters with stupid attitudes, stupid CGI and a stupid ending. If super stupid means blockbuster, then here you go.
454 out of 913 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great, GREAT FILM!!
JoeDiBease12 April 2012
Ever since the beginning of the film, I was so amazed and happy That I was at the premier of the movie. Very good acting from all the main characters and good acting from the rest. Great Directing and writing from Joss Whedon too. The cinematography was stunning throughout the whole film.This is a fun action packed film for the whole family to enjoy just like the rest of the Marvel movies but better. The special effects by far are the best for any Marvel movie. The Hulk Looks so much more real. By the way The Hulk made the movie even better. Also, DO NOT SEE THE AVENGERS IN 3D! See the film because you will not be disappointed even if you are not that interested into superhero movies. It has a lot of humor and love, so again SEE IT!
311 out of 619 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God awful movie!
Bradley Templeton12 May 2012
Terrible. Complete trash. Brainless tripe. Insulting to anyone who isn't an 8 year old fan boy. Im actually pretty disgusted that this movie is making the money it is - what does it say about the people who brainlessly hand over the hard earned cash to be 'entertained' in this fashion and then come here to leave a positive 8.8 review?? Oh yes, they are morons. Its the only sensible conclusion to draw. How anyone can rate this movie amongst the pantheon of great titles is beyond me.

So trying to find something constructive to say about this title is hard...I enjoyed Iron Man? Tony Stark is an inspirational character in his own movies but here he is a pale shadow of that...About the only 'hook' this movie had into me was wondering when and if Iron Man would knock Captain America out...Oh how I wished he had :( What were these other characters anyways? Useless, bickering idiots who really couldn't organise happy times in a brewery. The film was a chaotic mish mash of action elements and failed 'set pieces'...

I found the villain to be quite amusing.

And now I give up. This movie is not robbing any more of my time but I felt I ought to contribute to restoring the obvious fake rating and reviews this movie has been getting on IMDb.
250 out of 495 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A consummate failure - here's why
DAZINPARIS11 May 2012
Here's why "The Avengers" fails so badly.

1. Wrong, wrong director - Joss Whedon is a TV Director. "Serenity" worked because it was essentially a TV movie. And he has here made "The Avengers" a TV movie. Bad move, this should have gone to J.J. Abrams, Bryan Singer or Brad Bird.

2. Dreadful miscasting - only Robert Downey Junior can hold his head high. Chris Evans is as wooden in this as the flat "Captain America" film. Those playing Thor, Hulk, Black Widow either phone in performances or look embarrassed.

3. Weak, weak villain - Tom Hiddleston plays a slight, camp character who offers little panache or interest and more closely resembles a spoiled teenager than anything else. This film needed a "General Zod".

4. Too much obvious CGI - come on, it's 2012, there's no excuse for the George Lucas-y effects like the flying Shield craft graphics.

5. No drama, tension and a script so obviously flat that Whedon inserts misplaced self conscious quips to lighten the tone.

For anyone growing up with Marvel comics in the 70's (chime with me on this), we deserved SO much more. For younger audiences, it will pass I'm sure.

Really can't understand though the positive reviews. Am I alone in this ?
358 out of 723 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you liked Transfomrers you would love this movie!
Saikat Biswas29 May 2012
I initially had a feeling that this movie would be a too much superhero overload for my taste. But then I saw the positive reviews on IMDb and RottenTomatoes and also the comments Youtube etc... and I felt I had been wrong and they might have pulled it off really well! So I went to watch it.

But I felt completely cheated after watching this film, how could IMDb ratings be so misleading?! The only reason this film might be remembered could be because it would become part of the case study "How a below average film could be made into blockbuster by hyping it up on internet and social networks." I don't write reviews in general, but forced to do it for this film such a a letdown and waste of time even though it's got one of the best ever ratings on IMDb.

If IMDb rating is actually true I feel worried for the people who can't see through the actions and special effects.

Overall, you might enjoy this Film if you have enjoyed Micheal Bay's Transformers, if you didn't you might find it very difficult to sit through this movie as well.
354 out of 716 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
2 1/2 hours of wasted time
stixman4612 May 2012
I don't want to waste more time talking about a movie that I just wasted 2 1/2 hours of my life watching but I feel it's necessary in order to maybe save someone from making the same mistake I just did by watching this stinker. Actually I slept through some of it so there was SOME valuable time spent in the theater. I would have walked out except my girlfriend look like she was enjoying it. This movie just sucked, plain and simple. It's the typical good guys have to save the earth from aliens. It did have all the emotions though.....The dialog was laughable and the acting made me want to cry. Unless you just like seeing buildings getting demolished and people who are impervious to bullets, explosions, and every kind of weapon known to man, stay home and save your money. I've watched better cartoons as a kid. It actually angers me that there are so many people in this world the simply LOVED this movie. This movie was so bad, I may never go to the theater again!
265 out of 536 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Utterly Formulaic and Totally Predictable. Way too Overrated!
The Nobody26 April 2016
SHORT VERSION(Because of the IMDb word limit) Go here for the full version:-http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/id/974206291/ratings

Ah! The Avengers! How I hate this movie! It is overrated and over-popular beyond words and has nothing which makes a film great. The only things it has are good special effects and a nice soundtrack - factors which are only superficial in nature and cannot make anything good. It's story is filled with plot-holes and characterization and character development is below sub-par. The story doesn't even try to explore any themes and the whole thing is just one huge galore of special effects.

The visual section deserves a perfect score as that is the only thing about the movie which is good. The explosions, spaceships, villains, weapons, Iron Man's suit, everything looks realistic and wonderful. Of course, that is to be expected with the technology of today. The sound section is also nothing to complain about. The sound amplifies the action and makes one excited about it. Other than that, I found it quite forgettable. The acting is decent. Robert Downey Jr. as always, speaks as fast as a cheetah runs which is why people who are not so great at English may need subtitles. Not that the things he is saying is deep or meaningful.

Now that I've finished with the good parts of the movie, I can now explain why the story and characters are s**t. I have already said that the story has zero innovation and is totally formulaic. The story is about the trademark superheroes fighting a villain bent on conquering the world with the power of a magical object. So original, right? The heroes find the villain who separates them but they come back together almost immediately and fight the villain and his huge army in a large metropolitan city.

Even if you have not seen the movie, you should be able to tell how the movie is going to end. As mentioned earlier, there are a large number of plot holes and plot conveniences.

And this movie was nominated for Best Writing in a particular award ceremony! In fact, one whole hour was spent in pointless battles and the destruction of a major city where only the ending mattered. The ending was a total cop out which saw the death of an entire army due the destruction of a single spaceship. Why? Because the movie has to end sometime! That's why!

Now that I've established how bad the story is, I will talk about the characters. It may seem that the movie has no need of character introduction and development as each character has a movie of it's own. This is partly true. However, the characters are STILL not developed. The Avengers include - a billionaire who fights in iron suit, a god, a soldier from the times of World War II and a scientist which can go Super Saiyan an becoming angry. How relatable!

In each of their respective movies, they have to fight a villain having similar powers as them (yes, they have similar powers) while building their romance with girl X. They do not face any other problem such as getting divorced, going bankrupt, etc. Any such problem will only be a backdrop. The end of the movie will see the villain defeated , the hero victorious and the hero and the girl in a strong relationship. The hero will not be seen in any other problem such as failure(except if they are fighting the villain for the first time), loss, change,etc. All problems mostly revolve the external force(i.e.the villain). This makes them completely unrelatable.

In case you tell me that this is natural for a superhero movie, The Incredibles had it's main character fired from his job and The Dark Knight saw Bruce Wayne's ideals being challenged. No such thing is seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I'll admit that Iron Man and Thor had development. However, they were the only ones. The characters then developed into very similar archetypes. As individual movies, that was very good, but they were a part of a larger universe. Thus, characters being fully developed there was a bad thing because it finally made the characters (in the Avengers) quite boring as they were all good and had absolutely no bad qualities. The heroes were just 'good guys' and that is the only way one can define their personality in this movie.

The villains are mostly faceless mooks who are only there to cause destruction and be defeated by the heroes. It is not even known who they were. Loki ,on the other hand, is the best MARVEL movie villain. That's a great thing, right? No. No it isn't. He's just the best looking thrash in the garbage bin. Having more backdrop and personality makes him better than the rest of those idiots who were just there to be defeated by the hero.

And the s**t still doesn't end there! I can go on about how everyone's powers are broken (yes they are broken!) and how Loki was an idiot for keeping the main energy source on top of Stark Tower and how the heroes grieved over the death of a secondary character saying "He never showed you his Captain America Vintage Card Collection". That character too was bland beyond words and received no fleshing out or development (except maybe in the T.V. series)

VERDICT:-It's s**t and doesn't deserve any of the popularity it gets! The applause it deserves is for it's visual effects (which is the only thing for which it has gotten awards). Other than that, it is bad and I would not recommend it to anybody!

VISUAL SCORE=10/10 SOUND SCORE=8/10 STORY=2/10 CHARACTERS=4/10

OVERALL=3/10 (I don't take the average of the above)
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this