IMDb > Kit Kittredge: An American Girl (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kit Kittredge: An American Girl

wonderful movie

Author: cosimdm from United States
5 July 2008

I took my grandchild to see this movie and was truly shocked. How could a movie this good come out of Hollywood? The characters were believable, the plot interesting, there were humans instead of androids in this movie, there was no sex, violence, or bad language in it, and this old lady LOVED it. So did my 7 year old grandchild. Why haven't they been making movies like this for years?

Usually when I take a child to the movies, I am saddened by the experience. Where are all the wonderful, wholesome productions of yesteryear that entertained one and educated at the same time? This movie did both. My grandchild knew nothing about the Depression, so I explained the time in very simple terms. She seemed to get it, and loved the way the story had a good ending where the main character had a personal triumph and a family endured adversity.

Take your kids to see this movie. You will be proud and not embarrassed.

history, morals, mystery - all in one!

Author: vamomx2 from United States
2 July 2008

While not being semi-prof. film critics,we know what we like and what is a good movie, worth your time and money. This is not a deep psychological study, but is an intriguing look at an era most people have long forgotten. The story is nimble and keeps your interest while being clearly told from a child's perspective. We all loved the cinematography and the period clothes, cars, etc. The story had universal appeal and was not so childish that adults couldn't enjoy it. It was a real pleasure to see many senior citizens in attendance (even w/o grandkids) as I suspect that they actually lived through the struggles outlined in the movie. There were enough twists and turns and plenty of good, moral messages for old and young alike. Another plus is the 90 min. length! Our family votes yes to taking your kids and your senior citizens as well.

About time they made these kind of movies for kids

Author: chufas-63183 from United States
2 July 2008

It's about time they made these movies for kids instead of the shoot-em-up junk that attracts kids nowadays. It's also about time girls were the focus of movies. Where have all the young female role models gone? I just saw Kit and am very pleased at the movie. The historical references are very accurate, the story is accurate as to what was happening the the Depression, and children can learn a lot from this movie. Also, children were respectful to their elders, it's a "clean" movie, but there's a great message and it's about time. No, it's not going to win any Academy Awards, but it might give kids today an idea of what life was like during a particularly troubling period in American history--just like NOW!!!! MAKE MORE of these!!!! I'll take my granddaughter to every one of them--MORE than once! Yes, I took her to see Wall-E, yes, we also saw Indiana Jones, but we need more of THESE MOVIES for kids to balance the imaginations!! GREAT MOVIE!

This movie was beyond my expectations

Author: cklarson-1 from United States
6 July 2008

As a writer of women's history, including World War II, this is one of the few films I've seen which really informs. The settings and clothing were accurate. The mix of people was also true to life. But what surprised me the most was that Kit's family came face to face with the personal dilemmas of the Depression. She was not just a child "voyeur", "do-gooder", or "little careerist" removed from the economic and social pressures which is what I had expected. There were a number of very authentic scenes and interchanges. There were also some very interesting characters such as the mobile librarian.

I spoke to a mother as she came out of the theater with her 5 year old (who liked it). She commented that the movie will give youth of today a view of hardship that most don't understand in our now affluent nation. As a child of Depression-era parents that's the truth: both of my parents' families lost wealth due to small town bank failures. My uncle, instead of going to college, had to join the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCCs).

With that said, however, as a movie I thought the acting uneven. Some of the dialogue seemed a little canned and some words were too contemporary (e.g., Kit: "I was focused on"). But some of that could also just be my first over-reactive impression. I'd have to see it again, to let it all sink in, for as a total historical package it was a lot to absorb, because you have to assess it at several different levels.

But, whether or not you think this is a good or bad movie, in movie terms, this is an important movie for children to see. It is generally fact-based, has depth, and is as authentic a movie as a wholesome, "uplifting" one for 10-year-olds can be. The American Girl phenomenon is true manna from heaven for those of us interested in giving women a place in history.

Grapes of Wrath, Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Author: georgebush from Antarctica
9 July 2008

Kit Kitredge, An American Girl is a classic. This film falls into the category of its a Wonderful Life, Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and Grapes of Wrath. The acting is fine but not formal. The mother of Kit surely deserves an Academy Award. This mom is real and not just another self superior empty mom as played in an empty way in some family films like the mom in Drill bit Taylor. She is the opposite of the mom in Drill Bit Taylor. This mom in Kit Kitredge is wise. She has elegance but is also real in her struggles. This is a mom that anyone could look up to. She reminds me of the strong performances of Andy Griffith. Her final scene was one of the strongest acting moments in film history and I have seen over 8,000 films. She shows the full range of emotion and gives a performance reminding me of Claudette Colbert in the 1944 Since you went Away. The film also has a style similar to the live show Annie.

This film moves at a fast enough pace to keep all ages happy. It reveals the era of the Depression with total respect for the people of the era. My family lived through the depression so I know this is authentic. It is a little like the old Nancy Drew but with tremendous involvement with all the characters. The film takes the high road in which moral decisions are clearly understood. There is also a mystery and it is interesting. All the acting is fine and there are a great variety of actors of all ages.. This film reminds me that movies are not suppose to be aimed at one particular age group in order to improve ticket sales. This is just a good old fashioned movie.

Frank Capra would be proud of this film of the underdog against a series of obstacles. The only sad thing is that it has sold so few tickets. I suspect this film will linger for a long time and rent many DVDs. It is a film that could be shown to people many years from now. I highly recommend this movie. American girl refused to sell out their integrity in order to sell tickets. I hope American Girl makes more films. Great film.

Kit Kittredge proves there are a few talented people left in Hollywood

Author: goodguy309 from United States
5 July 2008

Abigail Breslin is headed for Oscar nomination in this move and I would not be surprised to see this movie receive and Oscar nod for best character set. Let me explain a bit more. Some movies has characters/actors that give very strong performance but do not play well with other characters/actors within a storyline. Yes, Abigail Breslin does maintain a strong presence but without EQUAL interaction with the other characters, the movie would not have played so equal across the scenes.

The story is based in 1934, just a few years into the Great Depression. The Depression scenes plays out it injustice(s) in total disregard to social status, property possessions, job description and of course, the haves and the have not. I've been told stories from people who have lived through the Great Depression and I can tell you that the film comes pretty darn close to reality.

Abigail Breslin and her cohorts has this not so secret clubhouse in the family's yard. Secret initiation ceremonies, secret oath and secret chit-chat dominate the playtime of this secret club. As the movie progresses, we see the club forming ideas to help the less fortunate on the street where they live.

Movies like Kit Kittredge gives me hope that there are a few Hollywood idea men that are left who can present to the world, movies laced with a healthy dose of 'nice' and topped off with a dollop of a kindred spirit.

American girls, including older gals like me, will enjoy this one very much, Breslin shines brightly!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
5 July 2008

Kit Kittredge (Abigail Breslin) is the only child of a Cincinnati couple in the 1930's. An aspiring newspaper reporter, Kit spends some time in her room, tapping out her stories on an old typewriter. Her father (Chris O'Donnell) owns a car dealership and her very pretty mother (Julia Ormond) takes care of their lovely home, where she often hosts garden teas. But, the Great Depression is gripping the nation and soon Mr. Kittredge is out of work and traveling to Chicago to look for a new job. Meanwhile, Mrs. Kittredge is forced to take in boarders to make ends meet, including a dancer (Jane Krakowski), a magician (Stanley Tucci), a mobile librarian (Joan Cusack), an uptight mother (Glenne Headley) and her young son. Also arriving on the Kittredge's doorstep are two young hobos, teenager Will (Max Thieriot) and pre-teen County (Willow Smith). These latter two youngsters will do any odd jobs in exchange for food and Mrs. K. welcomes them over the objections of neighbors. But, will the Kittredge family save their home? Also, will Kit see her fondest wish and get published, all the while solving the mystery of who took her family's safety box of money and other costly possessions? This is a nice, nice film for American families with young girls. Breslin is enchanting in the title role, exhibiting her sweet spunk and contagious enthusiasm at all times. The supporting cast is likewise wonderful, with O'Donnell very fine as the sensitive father and Ormond, especially, doing a terrific turn as the beautiful, courageous mother. All of the other supporting cast members previously mentioned, along with Wallace Shawn as a stuffy newspaper editor, fulfill their roles handily, too, with special mention extended to young Willow Smith for her nice interpretation of the part of a young drifter with a big secret. The film looks sensational, from the Kittredge's gorgeous home and grounds to the costumes to the wonderful cinematography. As to the script, it is a nice combination of history, intrigue, and the triumph of the human spirit, especially the hope and new possibilities that children bring into the world. Even though the direction could have been a bit snappier, the film rolls along nicely, too. In short, this is a lovely film for young girls and their families, with abundant laughs, lessons, and love. Do skedaddle over to the nearest theater and make time for Kit and company. Then, head to the library as well, for the books which inspired the film are very, very fine indeed.

It was the darkest of time, yet the sun came through

Author: aharmas from United States
9 July 2008

Give credit where it is due, and once again Breslin dishes more than a dose of sunshine again over a story that puts the spotlight on one of the darkest times in American History. There is more than just a little girl's perspective here, we are treated to a respectful and heartfelt tribute to the people who suffered the most during the Depression. Although the film is told from the point of view of a budding writer who happens to be 10 year old, with the help of a consistent and very talented supporting cast, the emotions come through honestly and without much of the unnecessary and over dramatized productions that now pass as drama.

Chris O'Donnell is perfectly cast as Kit's father, the perfect prototype of the American family man who is now facing total disaster as his world crumbles around him. He soon realizes things are worse than he expected, but just like the American spirit, he is not going to let this conquer him. His lovely wife played by Julia Ormond, is a tower of strength, but without the histrionics shown in the 80's movie. Anyone recalls those farm movies with Spacek, Lange, and Field? Here is a film where there is strength, humor, and many more emotions shown with restraint and class.

Soon, their home becomes a magnet to boarders and other outcasts of society, and we see some of the era's stereotypes beautifully played by first rate actors like Stanley Tucci, Joan Cusack, Glenne Headley, and Jane Krakowski. There are some intimate scenes where one captures how these people tried to escape the darkness outside by finding strength in each other and humor in whatever little entertainment came their way.

The film is short, yet it is full of detail, courtesy of some fine writing, a fantastic production team, and very lovely camera-work. It deserves to be seen and studied.

decent family movie

Author: Willie-12 from United States
6 August 2008

I was able to see this the other day with my child, and I must say I thought it was a decent little family movie. There were some very good lessons taught about acceptance of others, not giving up, and being happy with what you have in life. When it was over, I overheard a little girl say, "I want to see that one again." My child had the same reaction. The only complaint I have comes in the latter part of the film. Without going into details, it seems that the film unravels a bit during the third act. However, it recovers nicely, and hits the right emotional note at the end. Definitely one I'd recommend to parents and their children (both boy and girl).

In the end was a rite choice of movie

Author: Senthil Balakrishnan from MI, United States
10 July 2008

Just before an hour i happened to see this movie "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl".

I went with my wife and we enjoyed it so much that the movie has taken us back to our kids age. I recommend this movie for kids, this is a soft and sweet story which we all have stopped looking back and appreciate the beauty of it.

I am surprised the theater was empty, hoping its because of the weekday. I like the kids role very much, i have seen her previous movies and a big fan of her. The tree house was a nice touch.

I wish all the very best to this movie makers.