IMDb > "When They Cry" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Higurashi no naku koro ni"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"When They Cry" More at IMDbPro »"Higurashi no naku koro ni" (original title)

Deliciously violent and clever!

Author: stargazer-lea from United Kingdom
20 February 2010

Simply put...NOT FOR CHILDREN!

A lot of anime is somewhat violent and sometimes disturbing but Higurashi is something else! The violence is untamed and brutal. The story is surrounding a little village that is led by 3 families. It all starts when a young boy Keichii moves to the little village from the city in the month of June 1983. He makes friends with 3 girls, Rena, Mion (and later her twin sister Shion), Satoko and Rika. All seems well until he learns the village has a lot of secrets of murder and unexplained deaths. In a series of different chapters (arcs) the story is repeated all based around each character in turn. Each character goes mad and a lot of the time at least one of the group of friends is murdered brutally by one another. The stories explore murder, suspicion and even aliens!

It's not something i would recommend to everyone but certainly one I'd recommend to those who don't mind a bit of violence!

Creepy, disturbing, and mysterious

Author: ccrunner3234 from United States
15 December 2012

This series was so immensely pleasurable to watch. It's a horrific and slightly sadistic series that leaves you constantly guessing what's really going on in this small haunting rural village. I must admit though that I couldn't bring myself to complete it. Not because I was scared or anything, but because the explanations for why things were happening were unfolding and I didn't like it. I was hooked on the series from the beginning to around the last few episodes simply because I never really knew why things were happening the way they were. I was blissfully confused and baffled throughout the whole series, and the final episodes were like getting smacked upside the head with the facts of all the episodes previously. From what I've read though, those final episodes didn't explain everything all the way anyway, so maybe its worth watching. For me personally though, I felt that explaining the mysteries of the village the series takes place in took away from the overall appeal. If you love mysteries and creepy moe characters and can handle some gore, I highly recommend that you at least watch the first few episodes. If you aren't completely hooked then I'd say leave the series alone and watch something you'd find more fulfilling.

Oh and by the way, for those comparing to Elfen Lied, this series is tens times better and creepier as opposed to being composed of pure gore.

An anime with adorable character designs... then stuff happens

Author: Nymera from St. Catharines, Canada
28 July 2016

An anime with adorable character designs... then stuff happens. Creepy stuff. This is not an anime for kids or those who do not like seeing extreme forms of torture gore... Otherwise, it's an amazing mystery anime for you. It's average in that it follows the life of a teenage boy, surrounded by his female schoolmates... but the commonness of it ends there. A horrific tale breaks out at about the halfway point of each arc, revealing a more gritty atmosphere and art style. From start to end, I found myself forming theories in my head as to what is truly going on. As stated before, the art style is not of high quality, but that was never really an issue for me. I find that its unique... "expressions" expressed by some of the characters would not have the desired shocking effect otherwise. The sound is also spot on. Constantly having the cicada chirps fill the otherwise empty soundscape creates a very unique kind of tension. I was actually surprised when I heard this was a visual novel first, given that I can usually tell by cliché elements... but there were next to none that I noticed. Overall, a beautiful show that I highly recommend to any horror/mystery/anime fan.

Fantastic psychological horror anime.

Author: Derek Bellas from United States
11 February 2016

When They Cry is a perfect example of a horror/thriller done right. The show takes place in an isolated village in Japan, giving it an ominous feeling. As the show progresses, we learn that not everything that happens there is all innocent and nice. It starts out looking like a cute show intended for children, but there is no way a kid should be exposed to this. Starting around the second episode, we are introduced to several horrifying stories, that may or may not be true. Stories and events contradict each other, making the viewer decide for themselves what actually happened. Amazing characters, paired with the confusing and terrifying story make the show worth the time to watch.

Best anime so far

Author: r-renealejandro
20 January 2015

I really enjoyed this anime, one of the best I've seen so far. The thing that makes it so good is that it can change from a relaxing environment to deadly one and this is what we see from the first episode and throughout. The story line is 8/10 graphics 6/10 however the graphics make the anime brilliant because that's one of the ways the anime changes the environment so quickly. Characters 8/10 and mystery 9/10. Just brilliant however don't be put off from the first episode. It's meant to be like that. The anime higurashi is divided into two seasons 24 episodes each and it talks about a new transfer student who joins the hinamizawa village an school and befriends a group of girls and life is good for a while. However he starts to uncover a deadly mystery within the village and not knowing who to trust is the least of his problems. The first season is more of a astonishing mystery masterpiece and the second season is more drama and the answer for the questions in season 2 😁👌

I think it's AWESOME

Author: amelieproductions
25 May 2014

Review: I've known about Higurashi for a while now, shortly after discovering Elfen Lied, as I scanned the internet in search of animes that could possibly be more violent and disturbing then Elfen Lied itself. No matter how I typed in ''anime horror'' or no matter how many websites I've clicked on, that golden title would always pop up: Higurashi. I've had people say that Higurashi was even more violent and brutal then Elfen lied, so of course I was curious and was willing to learn more about it, and I could very well understand why many would consider this piece of work a ''True Anime Horror'', and, on the most part, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. In a nutshell, I suppose you could consider Higurashi ''unique….'' And the one difference between Elfen Lied and Higurashi is that, even after watching Elfen Lied, I was still unwilling and afraid of watching this. Yes, that's how creeped out I was, and why would one be willing to visualize fingernails being torn off, little children being brutally murdered, and well animated violence all, topped off with cute, childish graphics and art? PHSYCOS LIKE ME! :D So, after many months of thought and after finishing Rin: Daughters Of Mnemosyne, I decided to stop being such a baby, and go for it. Yes, Higurashi truly is a brutal piece of work regardless of the confusing, innocent and comedic moments. No, it's not disturbing because of the on screen gore, oh no, if it were just for the gore, I'd find myself watching another attention seeking cartoon, something high in violent content to attract young boys and kids, with the help of pastel graphics(**note to otakus out there, yes anime is a cartoon, DEAL WITH IT!). No, this series is beyond that. It's the psychological insanity behind it all. Yes, that's it. Because I truly feel that, as I was watching Higurashi, I was going crazy and paranoid along with these characters, needless to say that all the characters suffering the traumatic events of 1983, are all underage teens and children as young as ten! What a lovely and warming animated family series! Also, I just loved how the creators decided that instead of having one boring plot run straight through all 26 episodes, have decided to come up with various ''mini stories'' if you will, brutally grab the characters and force them to relive and suffer the grotesque and emotionally agonizing events of 1983. Lovely! LOVELY. So, I suppose that the bottom line is whether of not I enjoy this series. As much as I hate to say it, I cannot deny the fact that that element of suspense was quite present throughout the show, and that it was a true breathe of fresh air to watch something that wasn't the typical harem romance anime. Also, I love how the show haunts you psychologically, instead of just in your face gore, and it was, in a sadistic and traumatizing way, about friendship, instead of romance, which is something I guess I could appreciate. The art is decent in the show; your typical, cute big eyed characters with supernatural hair color. Some may say that the characters look like they were ripped off of other anime characters, but, when you get down to it, don't all anime characters look the same…? To be honest, I think that the cute art added to the true insanity of this show and that you really shouldn't assume or judge a book by its cover, right? And, what made this show even more interesting was how each scenario, or chapters, as they were called in the show, would be played out. While the start-out-innocently-then-progress-to-gory-madness idea isn't exactly uncommon among the horror genre, the first episodes of each chapter is so cute and innocent that you're sure you're not watching the same anime, but the cuteness is quickly devoured and forgotten by the psychological mess that is Higurashi. Overall, yes, I do like this show, and would easily give it 8/10, for not going too in-your-face with the gore and for the clever psychological moments here and there. The show is very different and memorable so if you like gore and unusual yet creative ways to torture other people as entertainment, by all means give this insane mess a try, oh, and did I mention that Higurashi features a relatively good soundtrack that is well suited for the show, and that gets straight to the point of the show: dark, violent and mysterious. In my opinion, Higurashi is way more than Elfen Lied and IS a true anime horror that will freak you out! As for the appropriate audience suited for this show: ADULTS ALL THE WAY. This show may not feature fanservice of any kind of sex or nudity, but the discussions of actual ancient torture methods and observing the darker side of the human race is enough to earn this show a well-deserved 17+ rating. You must be very mature to handle this show, regardless of the fact that it is animated. I know there were a few moments that haunted me and still do. My final word: WATCH THIS SHOW, IT'S FREAKING AWESOME.

Average animation, flat characters and an inconclusive story

Author: aractos-890-607133
4 February 2014

--Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, or When They Cry is a mystery anime with some cute characters, a few morbid scenes and several stories that are shown in sequence.

--It revolves around the standard Japanese anime trick of not giving you enough information. The lack of information lets your imagination run wild, contemplating the reasons and motives of the events that take place, which can sometimes be a really good thing. When the story reveals one of those ideas to be right on the money, or when it's so inconceivable it sweeps you of your feet! However, this is not the case with When They Cry. The initial mystification caused by the apparently cute characters with dark secrets falls short when the characters' motives are reveled to be underdeveloped, oversimplified even. Grievous topics such as insanity and family abuse are touched, but shown with the depth of perspective you would get from reading about it in a news paper. Even when love is mentioned, it's used so trivially to motivate characters that all immersion is lost.

--The animation aspect of the anime is also lacking. The colors of the characters will hurt your eyes due to distasteful and unappealing choices, while the backgrounds are pretty standard. The characters sometimes go into "spooky mode" which is overemphasized, like emotions in most anime. In this case however, the overreactions in "spooky mode" cross the line necessary to communicate the characters emotions to the viewer and wind up being outright grotesque.

--The end of the anime is inconclusive and looks pretty much like a commercial for the video game from which this anime was adapted.

--In short, When They Cry doesn't deserve it's misleading current score of 8,3 on a site like IMDb. This score is held by famous movies such as Rashomon, Snatch and Some Like it Hot. The more appropriate number, in my opinion is around 5, maybe even lower. Cheap thrills in a visually unstimulating package. Cheers!

Truly a magnificent anime

Author: robinsonbecky-68-210578 from United States
30 June 2011

Now this show, has got to be one of the best cartoons that Japan had to offer. To think of the plot, think of Happy Tree Friends meeting Pokemon. In the show, a boy named Keiichi, moves to the town of Hiniwazama. There he meets these girls, and they start acting rather strange. On a day that is called the Day of Cotton (I presume), one person is brutally murdered, and one is spirited away by "demons." They believe that their local god was responsible for this, and believed that he was judging them. Now the plot, is kind of a mind screw, but somehow, a loop occurs over and over, and the characters enter another world after they had failed in one. In season two, it was explained that the villain was a nurse named Takano Miyo (whom I despise) who was trying to kill Rika, to see if the village would fall with her, and become God (OF COURSE!). And it was also revealed that there was a disease called the Hiniwazama Syndrome, that made all the characters crazy, and Miyo used the disease to kill off her villagers. Despite it being dark, it was rather enjoyable. I wouldn't recommend it to children though, unless they watch it with their parents.

Amazing.

Author: shiozawa-miyako from 62890
5 August 2014

Higurashi is amazing. Wow. I don't even know what to say about it. But whoever is comparing Elfen Lied and Higurashi, don't. You can't even do that. I don't even consider Elfen Lied horror. Elfen Lied is my favorite manga, because of the wonderful characters and beautiful love story. I think Lucy's and Kouta's love for each other was just beautiful. But the gore is not the reason I watched it. The gore in Elfen Lied didn't even bother me, and that's before I even started getting into bloody and gory things. (At that time, I was into Sailormoon and stuff like that xD) But don't even compare Elfen Lied and Higurashi..that's just sad. Now HIGURASHI, I watched for the horror. This anime was just simply amazing for that. So guys, don't compare. Elfen Lied and Higurashi are both amazing. (Well, the ending to Elfen Lied's anime was a bit...different. Much different from the ending to the manga. After reading the manga, I don't even think watching the anime is worth it. But I still loved the theme song and soundtracks.) And Higurashi's soundtracks are amazing, also. Both mean a lot to me. It somehow offended me when I see you guys comparing Elfen Lied and Higurashi, I don't even know how, but it did. xD

Make to-do "SAW" as an "Amine"

Author: yakuzaplacemat1215 from Aulendorf
27 November 2009

Gore, gore, gore. While there are some nice creepy atmospheric moments in this tale of a young, somewhat psychic girl trying to figure out the mysterious goings-on at her boarding school, that soon goes out the window in favor of gruesome beheadings, straight-razors to the face, and giant vats of human viscera. I kept looking at the clock praying that time would somehow move faster. By the 45 minute mark, I just couldn't care less how the movie ended and contemplated putting the truck in gear and leaving the drive-in me and my wife were watching this at. I hate to say it, but this ranks right up there with some of the worst movies I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and skip this one, especially at the theater. Crap. Pure crap. The only redeeming aspects of this film are bad anime scenarios and death by evil curse. For all those espousing low-budget, his-own-art anime felating drivel - sack up, pull your heads out and watch real movies. Morons.