IMDb > Son of Rambow (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Funny, childish and good

Author: siderite from Romania
14 September 2008

Two cast-off children get together to form a rare friendship as they try to make a movie they would submit to a competition. Many challenges await them, amongst them the lure of celebrity and false friends. In the end, of course, they emerge victorious.

It's one of those films that your inner child can only enjoy, if you let it out. It was well made and the child actors did very well. The songs and general atmosphere is of the 80's, with video tapes and soundtrack including The Cure and Siouxsie & The Banshees.

Bottom line: if you feel like getting melancholic about the childhood days, when true friends were scarce and your imagination was your only entertainment, watch this, you'll love it.

Anything but PC

Author: kosmasp
14 September 2008

I know some people will have their problem with the movie. Especially parents or any other adults who might think this might set a bad example for the(ir) children. And if you really think about it, some things in the movie seem easily imitable. But that would be shallow thinking, because kids have seen quite a lot of things nowadays. So try to be open minded.

And if you are, you will enjoy a comedy, set in the 80s, with many little funny things from that era (clothing, music, food etc.) that either will make you feel nostalgic (because you've lived through that time) or smile/laugh, because of the craziness of some things back then. However nothing takes anything away from the charm and the charisma of the two young leading actors.

At times great but ultimately a bit disjointed

Author: charlieperry from Sydney Australia
10 September 2008

It great to see lots of these quirky films being made nowadays. Amelie and its massive international success basically kicked the whole genre off. Since then Juno has picked up the baton and taken it to new levels.

There are some great, possibly classic, scenes in Son of Rambo. The foreign exchange students arriving, the sixth form common room, the birth of Son of Rambo are all great scenes. I could really relate to these boys. I was almost exactly the same age as these kids when Rambo came out and I remember myself being obsessed by it.

Ultimately though I just found that the whole thing lacked structure and coherence. A friend once told me that all great films/plays have three acts: introduction, problem, resolution. All the elements are there in Son of Rambo but I just felt that they weren't put together clearly enough to tell a compelling story. The resolution was them making their home movie and yet this started almost at the start of the film. They should have left it until the final act.

Having said all this, I did really enjoy it and I'd recommend it to everyone.

A Charming Comedy About Friendship

Author: Starduster from Ohio, USA.
28 August 2008

I must admit that my first viewing of Son Of Rambow, left me a bit uncertain. I really LOVED the ending and the overall plot line of the movie. What I DID know, is that I definitely wanted to see it a second time before forming an opinion. I am VERY glad that I did see it again and went on to see it several more times. I have purchased the DVD as well.

People who may not be familiar with certain aspects of British culture and slang, Plymouth Brethren religion and 1980's influence, may feel a bit lost in some of the aspects of the movie. I think that caused a bit of my original "uncertainty".

This is an adult film about our lives and childhood friendships and THAT is what matters here. This is a film about boys being boys, and limitless childhood imagination. Kids from different backgrounds finding common ground. This deals with "broken" homes and kids finding their own way and finding strength in friendship despite their backgrounds. This is an exaggerated comedic look at goofy and sometimes dangerous things we things we did as kids and probably the last thing we would want to see our own kids doing. It's about 2 young boys trying to make a homemade movie after seeing Rambo First Blood. Their effort ends up serving a higher purpose, as a testament of their friendship, at a time when it is needed most.

The two lead roles played by Bill Milner and Will Poulter are EXCELLENT particularly from two boys who have no prior acting experience. I think that fact that the two of them are "genuine" makes their performance genuine as well. What is especially nice here is that a movie about childhood friends and adventures, ended up bringing these boys together and forming a lasting friendship of their own while having the "adventure" of making their first film together. The movie serves its purpose well in this case and the friendship makes the on screen performance even more genuine and meaningful.

This movie has been compared to the 1980's film, "Stand By Me". It is a different time and culture and story but the basic theme and idea is very much the same. I think the two films compliment each other very well.

The movie soundtrack is also excellent, with popular 80's songs as well as a superb musical score by Joby Talbot. I also own the soundtrack CD, which also contains the Joby Talbot score as well. It's a great CD.

Give this movie a chance. Be sure to watch the extra bonus features on the DVD. It gives a lot of insight into the writer/director and his own childhood dreams and experiences and how they influenced this film. It added a lot to my overall appreciation of the movie, the director and the cast.

A "Starduster" Review

Story Of Friendship

Author: Joydeep Majumdar (joydeepm3d@gmail.com) from India
25 August 2008

A warm and emotional story about friendship, family ties and growing up,"Son Of Rambow" turned out to be a really good movie. I had read all the good reviews right here on IMDb and most of them are absolutely correct.A genuine and poignant story about two friends from totally different backgrounds, it felt a little slow at first but then it picked up and ended at a high point leaving me nostalgic about the good times I had with my friends in school. The short film that the characters make in the movie was like an added bonus. A well written film, with some very good performances(especially by Bill Milner, Will Poulter & Jules Sitruk), this feel good movie is a must see.

Good film, not enough comedy

Author: redranger24-1 from United Kingdom
14 August 2008

Son of Rambow is a film about two boys who decide to do a fan made sequel Rambo: First Blood along the way they learn the meaning of friendship. Now I thought Son of Rambow was very good film but too many flaws are in the film, when I first saw advert for Son of Rambow it said it was the funniest British film since Hot Fuzz and Hot Fuzz was a really funny film but, in Son of Rambow only two parts of it was funny and it got annoying when Will kept calling Lee Carter by his full name when he could have just called him Lee but anyway it was a good film but there was not enough comedy in it and the acting was alright and so was the story

Son of Rambow gets a 7/10 from me

An amazing film worth any 10 Hollywood blockbusters...

Author: longleaf0 from United Kingdom
9 August 2008

I never normally comment on a film regardless of my opinion about the score it has received in comparison to my own opinion, but I feel moved to comment on this one.

The story has several different threads all of which are firmly intertwined, approaching the same main plot from different points of view, but each individually telling of what young life could be like growing up in the 1980's.

The two main actors do an amazing job, as do the rest of the cast. The calibre of acting from Will Poulter and Bill Milner was astonishing, even Nicholas Hoult in "About a boy" doesn't compare.

I fear to give away too many parts of the plot, so I will just say: Watch it. You will not regret it. You won't finish this tale of making choices and dealing with life's realities for the first time a waste of *your* time.

This time I don't mind so many comments

Author: Carlos Martinez Escalona from Mexico
5 August 2008

I try to review only those films that leave a deep imprint. Films that matter. And this one really does. People say it's made a difference in their lives. People feel it's worth writing about it because the subject matter is important.

Definitely the main roles play a part that make this film memorable. But the story that unfolds before your eyes is nothing but brilliant. In many ways it achieves turning points that are absolutely unexpected.

With all the wit of the the purest British sense of humor, the adventures of life, of rites of passage, of family affairs, of loneliness, of misunderstanding, of underdogs, of ordinary life, become extraordinary precisely because of their being ordinary affairs in our lives.

The beauty of friendship, the salvation of a beautiful soul trapped in the mask of a bully, the marvel of a boy that only by his looks was labeled in the minds of everyone and is recognised by what he is, the brilliant way in which family bonds are portrayed, make of this film one of the best films I've seen on the subject. Maybe, for the first time, someone achieves the impossible: a lighthearted story with tons of humor and some very dark aspects of our lives seen through the eyes of two boys. They endure their own solitude, their own sufferings and they don't understand why things are that way, until the heart of the story and the hearts of the boys reach a radical turning point.

I won't spoil anything, that's already been done elsewhere. Watch this film, buy it, show it and use it, it may make your life a bit brighter every time.

raw-some

Author: andycheney from United Kingdom
1 August 2008

i'm a proper dude, i like films like Bourne, bond, action - that kind of thing. i don't normally watch this softer stuff - and when i saw this title i thought i wouldn't care, but i watched it last night and it nearly had me in tears. honestly, its probably the best film of its genre i've ever seen. i can't recommend it to you enough. I ER...acquired this...but I'm actually going to buy the DVD. fantastic x i cant believe i have to keep typing waffle to submit this comment. I've already pressed the button 3 times, i just want to leave the film with a good review but this is killing it now, the magic's gone, i'm going home. i hope this works. watch the film yo

Awesome acting, Nice Humor

Author: rabindra aryal from United States
28 July 2008

I have always been enchanted with the British movies, for their touching stories and Son of Rambow is not an exception. Although my expectation to this movie wasn't that great, but it changed drastically after watching the movie. The comedy in the movie makes you 'laugh out loud' lot of times, which I was expecting from Garth Jennings movie (since he played in 'Shaun of the Dead'). I was also stunned with the acting of Will Poulter and Bill Milner, though they are kids, they have shown their maturity in acting. French kid Talluah spices up the taste of movie. Movie includes the reality of lives, the playful lives of children and touching relationships which overall makes the movie great. A must see movie, that entertains and grasps viewers in every moment of it.

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]