IMDb > Starship Troopers 3: Marauder (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not bad at all...heavily flawed though

Author: alexanderwiebe from Germany
22 July 2008

It was refreshing to see they reclaimed much of what made the first movie great when making Marauder. The filmmakers tried to copy the 'style' of the first movie, and in some aspects they succeeded. In others however, they failed miserably. Nevertheless, I think they put a lot of effort into the movie this time. For example, the federation broadcasts of the first movie were fantastic because they carried a lot of atmosphere and had so much subtle irony included. In the third movie, I think they overshot the mark a bit. There are a lot of broadcasts and they do a good job helping to create the film's atmosphere, but they are so openly ironic and sometimes it's almost comedy. One would think the officials are crazy to actually air that (Strongly in contrary to the first movie's broadcasts).

The story is not too bad. If you are willing to overlook some flaws you might find to like it. They even implemented a plot twist, which however was not very surprising at all. What I really could not stand was the needlessly exaggerated part about religion.

The cast is OK, but I think the filmmakers should have brought more old characters. It was nice to see Rico again; however it seemed the main characters were actually Lola and Dix instead of him. Dix's character also acts unreasonable on several occasions. And I found that the cast for the sky marshal was good, he has some charisma.

CGI effects are not very impressive. The bugs seem slightly worse animated than in 1997. So do explosions and the settings. The space ships and broadcasts look nice though.

Music is very average. Aside from the great song in the first broadcast there are no themes that would grab your attention. You would expect much much more of Klaus Badelt after his Pirates of the Caribbean score. Maybe he should have oriented his work more on the fantastic score of Basil Poledouris from the first movie. There is perhaps just one tiny little moment towards the end, where you would notice the music as great support for the scene. But once you notice it, its already over.

Writing this review I feel that there is actually not much positive to say in detail. But the composition of all these clearly average components is slightly better, because the atmosphere was right. It can be seen that this is in fact a Starship Troopers movie and not only shares the same name, as the second one did.

A true Sequel to Starship Troopers

Author: (imdb-211)
25 August 2008

It's obvious to me that the makers of Starship Troopers 2 simply did not understand the original Starship Troopers movie. Starship Troopers was a great social satire, and is more relevant today than it ever was before. The makers of Starship Troopers 2 thought it was just a dumb war action flick and created their sequel based on that assumption.

But Starship Troopers was not a movie about a war; it was a movie about the society which waged this war.

The people who made Starship Trooper 3 did not make the same mistake. They understood the appeal and the message of Starship Troopers, ignored the abysmal second part, and made a true sequel, even expanding on a lot of the themes started in the original.

If you liked Starship Troopers but did not like the second part, give this one a try (and if you haven't seen part 2, simply assume that Starship Troopers 2 never happened and go straight to 3). You will not be disappointed.

Not as good as it could have been, but it's worth a look!

Author: slasherguyy
14 July 2008

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder, is the third entry to the Starship Troopers franchise started by Paul Verhoeven in 1997. The first was great, action-packed and an entertaining movie on all levels. I have only seen parts of the unrelated sequel, and what I saw was bad and I'm pretty sure a lot of people think the same thing. Here comes Starship Troopers 3, and I have to say...it's actually good. This isn't a great movie by any means, but it's a good sequel considering it's a DTV title.

Johnny Rico (Casper Van Dien) is back kicking some butt in Starship Troopers 3, and battling a new wave of bugs. Along the way, there's a new variety of characters, a good enough story and some decent action scenes to keep you entertained. From the get go, the movie definitely goes look like a low-budget film, but compared to some of the crap I've seen, it's a good one and actually the first good film I've seen from new company "Sony Stage 6", who have dished out some crappy movies recently. The acting in the movie is good, with a few cheesy performances here and there, and the characters are entertaining enough. Van Dien, of course, steals the show. The CGI in the movie isn't as good as the CGI in the first, but it's still good CGI. It could have been a lot worse, and the bugs looked realistic enough. I found it amusing they threw in a mini-homage to the first film as well, by giving us a gratuitous nude scene in the movie.

Now, onto the not-so-good points. The action, whilst it was good, could have been better and there could have been a few more. The battle scenes in this movie are not on par with the first film. They could have been more violent, gorier and more drawn out. A lot of soldiers would just be grabbed by one of the creatures and killed off-screen, or thrown up in the air. Don't get me wrong, some of the deaths were violent and had quite a lot of blood spray, but we needed more like in the first movie. The end battle could have been drawn out more as well, as it was pretty short. Now, what I think needed most improvement was the story. It would have been nice to make a few references to some absent characters from the first, and to find out what happened to them - such as Rico's girl, Carmen (Denise Richards). I also thought the whole religious theme started to get a little over-the-top by the end of the movie, and the whole religious bugs and talking bugs was a little...stupid.

Overall, Starship Troopers 3 isn't as great as the first, but for a low-budget DVD sequel, it's pretty good. It's got some good acting, good enough action, good enough CGI and a good enough story. You could do a lot worse, couldn't you? However, I do have to say that the movie will probably be a love it or hate it between fans of the first film. Fans expecting a big-budgeted film like the first, with a Hollywood cast and lots of violence and gore, will be disappointed. Fans of the first who can accept this film won't be a big-budgeted action flick and will have cheesy moments, a lack of budget and not the best of everything, might just enjoy it. I wouldn't mind seeing as fourth, just be sure to bring Dien back again!

the only surprise was that I watched it to the end

Author: chrismorton from Dublin, Ireland
16 July 2008

I don't know why I kept watching to the end, but I did anyway and it really wasn't worth my (or anyone else's for that matter) time.

you don't need a big budget to make a good film, but it's impossible to hide a bad one with a small budget and this one must have had a REALLY small budget.

I was surprised to see Jolene Blalock's name attached to this being a star trek fan I thought she might bring something to the movie, but I'm starting to understand why she was cast as an emotionally void Vulcan in Enterprise. I'd also read comments about the state of her lips and thought it was just internet geeks going overboard, but they are really big now, significantly moreso than in her trek role, I think she needs to ease off on the collagen before they take over her face, they're starting to look like she was beaten up.

the SFX would have embarrassed the Red Dwarf crew at times they were so bad. For an example of how bad it gets check out the scene on the ship at warp where the view out the window isn't even CGI but some space scene on a long roller rolled past the window really quickly with the same repeating pattern over and over. I honestly don't think I've seen that done since the 70's! even the bug CGI is barely up to video game standards and not a patch on the original (which is 11 years old (1997) now and still looking much better than anything in ST3).

seriously guys, if you don't have the budget to make it properly, just don't make it at all, for your own sakes as professionals as well as for the sake of your fans. didn't you learn anything from ST2?

Well, not as good as the first, but much better than the second

Author: mystemo from Melbourne, Australia
24 June 2008

I tell ya I was dying to see this movie when I heard it was going to be released and it is a mixed bag. The Starship Troopers universe is explored in more detail - we see more of the Federation and their behind the scenes antics plus we also get to see what Rico is up to nowadays. You can tell Casper Van Dien has aged from the first movie, but he does such a good job in his role. You can tell his character has been amongst ongoing struggles and has such a commanding presence. And yes he gets his gear off once again (phew, I was hoping). The supporting cast is OK - the Admiral is excellently bitchy and authoritative and the Pilot was very tough and yet feminine, but the rest were merely bodies to fill the screen, in my opinion. The film does touch on a bit of this and a bit of that, but just falls short of feeling substantial, what the first film achieved so successfully. The special effects are adequate for the budget and often look quite OK - there are also a few gory moments for those into exploding heads and such. Probably the most disappointing aspect was not the fact that the ending was awfully soppy, clichéd and predictably going to lend itself for a sequel, but that the Marauder element was so miniscule that if you blinked you'd miss it (relative to the remaining bulk of the film). Hopefully in the next film they push the marauders more and don't get bogged down in too much unnecessary dialogue. But overall Starship Troopers 3 is a worthy watch and a decent followup to the other films. Thankyou for coming back to the series Casper, that's all I can say :)

Too Far

Author: soger from Romania
18 July 2008

This movie could have been so good, to bad they screwed it up.

I like the idea of the Marauder Project but the CGI animating it is very weak. So is the bug animation. Even the first movie looked better than this one and that was made in '97. I would say the CGI in this movie is on the same level as Robocop 2 which was made 18 years ago.

The story is consistent and entertaining except for the last few minutes. I liked the heavy combats, the mysteries and the political twists. It was interesting to see how a few men in power can manipulate the "truth" if you give up democracy. For the most part the movie kept the tone and the intensity of the first one but then they had to ruin it with the religious crap and cheesy love scenes at the end.

My opinion is that they took it too far with the bugs. For example with the exploding grenade bugs that you see in the first few minutes. Also the bugs' strength is their short lifespan hence their ability to evolve quickly. So, in my opinion this is in direct contradiction with the big bugs that lives for a really long time. But I'm no biologist and this is not a documentary movie.

You can notice that I did not mention Starship Troopers 2. I don't know why people embarrass themselves with movies like ST2 (or even ST3) if they don't have the budget to make a decent movie. ST2 showed just a bunch of amateur actors reading script from the autocue.

So to sum it up I don't regret the 100 minutes spent watching the movie but it will definitely not go into my personal collection.

not as good as the first...10x better than the second

Author: panzersam from Australia
21 July 2008

As most of us Starship trooper fans know, The first movie was brilliant(except no tanks). The people who did manage to find the second movie know it sucked. Now we come to the Third. Although its better than the second it doesn't match anywhere near as good as the first.

Jonney Rico is back along with some other big names. But the real disappointment was its overall making. It could have been so much better. SGI and bad acting played a big role in that. We do see the return of the Starships and large combat but the set is still small. It has some good fighting scenes and some dull moments but over all watchable.

So now we must wait. see if there will be number 4 and hope to God it will be high budget.

Afternoon Delight

Author: from Close your Eyes
20 July 2008

First things first: This was probably not what most people expected, including myself. Having relished the original film, endured the abortion of the second, and always finding solace in the book, I was ready to face this one head on. It was funny, really funny. After getting under the first layer of hilarity (mixed with appropriate amounts of red pulp), a scathing satire of current events emerged. For a movie that promised absolutely nothing, it delivered everything. No, the acting isn't that hot, but it wasn't trying to be more than it could be. Edward Neumeier succeeded in how he blended the hope and dire warnings of the original book, sprinkle it with hilarity, add a dash of zombie style violence, top it off with hot chicks and shower scenes, finally to be served in a bowl of parody based satire.

Thats enough for me.

starship bloopers

Author: jack-964 from Netherlands
16 July 2008

Usually 'hinsight' created sequels aren't as good as the original and this (part III) is no exception. In fact i sat it out, but was increasingly annoyed by the lack of creativity and intellect. The last half hour is more like a crusade for religion (happens more and more in Hollywood it seems) than a serious attempt to make a good sci fi shoot'em up style movie. So the story is lame, the acting is doable, effects are OK, but nothing new or exciting.

In the beginning old friends meet again, but these are all new actors (apart from Rico) and this is quite confusing. Obviously the makers found that a problem too, since the emphasis is overdone. The war turns into showbiz and commerce, which is too realistic maybe (?!) and a battle is lost at some secret planet somewhere (its top secret so we aren't supposed to know either) The brass flees from the planet and ends on some other secret planet due to a flat tire, after which Rico has to go get them. And thats good for Rico, since he joined up in a hanging party, which have become in vogue. To 'spice' it up a bit, we get some boob shots and then Rico saves the day. Alls well that ends well, so they overkill a new bug-brain by destroying the whole planet its on. Or at least i hope so, or there will be another sequel. (To stay in sync with the movie) God forbid!

You can miss it.

It's a good day to die, it's a good day to buy.

Author: solsol-1

Satire at its best.

Punishments without legal trials? Check. An incompetent leader who thinks God speaks to him? Check. Suicide bombers? Check. Peaceful protesters labeled as terrorists? Check. Swearing considered a blasphemy, while killings go unnoticed? Check. Defeat equals victory? Check.

CGI has been improved - a lot of action sequences look bloodier than anything in the prequels. The "bugs" are more detailed and everyone has been upgraded - the bugs have XXL-scorpions and humans have, well, shovels. If severed limbs and exploding heads are not enough for entertainment, then there are also political intrigues which provide a few twists to keep the story interesting.

If the movie would take itself more seriously it could be a sci-fi epic. However, since the baddie "Main Brain" resembles more "Jabba from Star Wars" and less "Alien from Alien" it fails to do so. Anyhow, the Marauders themselves are impressive weapons and all in all, at the end of the day, Starship Troopers 3 is a worthy sequel that provides a decent amount of entertainment.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]