IMDb > "Skins" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Skins"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Skins" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Well worth watching for ALL ages

Author: davek28 from Birmingham, UK
10 March 2007

I disagree with all those who say this is a teen-only drama. When I first saw the trailers and accompanying hype, I steered clear of it as it looked like yet another teen programme. But then I watched the second episode, about Cassie the anorexic, and was hooked. It managed to be both funny and touching - so much so that I cried at the end.

It's a lot like Teachers in its sense of humour, and it has its location, Bristol, in common with Teachers. It's a shame it isn't on at an earlier time, as the script is wonderful and the characters so well drawn. Plus the performances by the young cast are extremely professional.

I think good drama appeals to all ages, and I'm light years outside the target demographic for this. So I'd like to encourage the more mature viewer to give it a go - especially if you were a fan of Teachers - and you won't regret it.

9 out of 10 as it's the most entertaining and, unfortunately, realistic youth drama to appear on the telly since As If.

Superb, quality all the way through.

Author: digdilem from United Kingdom
26 March 2007

I can't stress enough how wonderful all these characters are, all very distinct, deep and you learn to care deeply about each one in a short space of time.

Damn shame series one has ended so soon - but the final episode, especially the final sequence has given me both shivers and tears even on the second viewing - and I'm a grown man in my 30's.

This is NOT just a teeny-drama, it's top quality essential viewing for anyone with an open mind.

Really want to learn more about these characters, I want to share their lives - so let's be having Series 2 straight away please!

Edit:

Series 2 was good, although not as good as 1, still way better than most things out there. I think those who dislike it so strongly probably gave up too early.

Series 3 however - what a disappointment! The writing has gone childish, simplistic and without any of the strong plots of the first two series. Cook - the most dislikable character, is over-used in every episode so far and completely overpowers every other character. It's gone from a great show about the lives of several people, to a badly written situdrama about one character being an idiot, with other people on the sidelines.

Series 1: 10/10 Series 2: 9/10 Series 3: 2/10

Huge disappointment.

Great!

Author: whatrudoing_552 from United Kingdom
11 January 2008

When this show first came out, i saw the trailer on the TV and thought it looked absolutely rubbish. However when the series one DVD came out my mum (yes my mum likes skins! and she's 42!)said that i might want to give it a chance. So i did and it's fantastic, nothing like i thought it was going to be. I don't see why some people have got all flustered about it exaggerating teenager's lives. Im 18 and personally my life is nothing like that of the skins bunch, but the show didn't set out to depict real life. It's an entertaining and funny show with a surprising amount of depth sometimes. If you have a sense of humour this show will appeal to you, if you don't or you have a very selective sense of humour then give it a pass or expect to be disappointed. Skins is what you make it, take it or leave it, it's up to you.

A Refreshing Piece Of British Drama

Author: tom_euro from Liverpool, England
19 March 2008

It's good to look to look over to Channel 4's sister channel E4 and find good quality British drama on our TV's. Skins is a fantastic and invigorating in-look in to the lives of modern day students.

The first two series had a fantastic cast, most of whom who had never acted before but some familiar faces including About A Boy's Nicholas Hoult and Slumdog Millioanire's Dev Patel who played Tony and Anwar respectively. The cast all worked really well together and it came across perfectly, especially in the second series. The characters they portray; the musical nerd, the lay about, the girl with the eating disorder, the religious one, the metro-sexual, etc. Characters that young people can identify with easily, in every day life, in their surroundings.

The third series was a risky strategy, in which they overhauled all their main characters from the first two series and got a new ensemble cast, or what has become to be referred to, as the ''second generation''. However the show has still been able to keep its sharp edge and shock factor, with some fantastic new characters and actors for the third and current fourth series. Some of the more entertaining and fascinating ones include naive Pandora Moon portrayed by Lisa Blackwell, bad boy 'Cook' portrayed by Jack O'Connel and individualistic twins Emily and Katie Finch.

The lifestyle the group has is glammed up slightly, especially in the early episodes and initial advertisements. Some may argue this is not 'real life', but its television, what is? Some of the party and group scenes are shot extremely well and capture the essence of the modern day lifestyles of the late 2000's perfectly. The show does boast some intriguing and dramatic story lines and selects its actors very well. Its admirable for the production team to encourage young actors (along with the amazing adult guest stars), writers, fashion designers, set designers, etc to join the show. The musical score is something that has to be mentioned, it's some of the best in today's television programmes. Even the opening credits, the music from Fat Seggal is fresh and inspirational.

As the ''second generation'' comes to an end this year (or so we assume) it will be interesting if the show will be revived again.

All in all Skins is something that we don't have a lot of on our screens. Channel 4 should be applauded and continue to invest in programmes such as Skins to appeal to today's generation of young adults.

A breath of fresh air...

Author: paul-m-uk from United Kingdom
1 September 2008

When trying to think of successful 'teen' drama series, all that really springs to my mind are the likes of 'The OC' or 'Dawson's Creek'. Isn't it about time that us Brits made some kind of contribution to this genre? Step forward 'Skins', a gritty UK drama about a gang of teenage Bristolians.

The show is instantly refreshing for two reasons. Unlike the aforementioned American shows, the show's sixteen and seventeen year old characters actually look that age and lack that 'surprisingly-mature-looking' quality of the stars of the US teen shows. Secondly, the show is less 'aspirational' than its US counterparts. All the characters are flawed, and we meet real people with real problems as opposed to spoilt brats trying to live millionaire lifestyles. We watch as the teenagers try to get on at college, pursue relationships and try to make their future that little bit less uncertain.

The flaws in the characters are what make the show so interesting, as each member of the group tries to make their own way in the world. Each will succeed only to a certain extent. Although all different, the group are united in their pursuit of a decadent, hedonistic lifestyle. This is where the show becomes controversial. Clearly targeted at teenagers, the show runs the risk of promoting this kind of lifestyle. Having said this, the audience is made sympathetic to the characters' antics by placing them in the context of the anguish which they all experience to some extent. What's more, the liberal approach to life exhibited is rarely without consequence.

Skins is compelling viewing. The soundtrack is excellent and the acting, for the most part, shows a lot of promise. Although the show is morally questionable at times, it confirms to me the fact that Channel 4 is the UK's most exciting broadcaster, which should be commended in at least some senses for having the audacity to do things that the BBC never would. Being innovative almost always requires the raising of a few eyebrows.

Young people in Britain are getting a bad press at the moment, and Skins is successful in showcasing the more human side of today's teens and also in reminding older folks that even they were young once. I just hope that the show doesn't go too far in promoting the kind of lifestyle which may be the reason why young people are finding themselves ostracized in the first place.

The most original British drama since sliced bread

Author: Adam Price from United Kingdom
7 February 2007

When i 1st saw the original advert for skins on E4 back in late November of 2006 i thaught, i have too see this program :) i don't watch much TV, but the one main reason i go downstairs on a thursday night, is for this program, it is original with a amazing cast and script,

it has an emotional boundary which will make you feel as the characters do, it tackles all the problems in modern society for us teenagers and is highly appealing to not only teenagers but adults of all ages because you can relate to each character and story it has got myself gripped too the series, and im currently introducing my friends too it i hope they do another series

Well done E4 Adam

(Series one and two) The Best Teen Drama Ever to hit the screen.

Author: Chris Sherriff from United Kingdom
30 May 2010

First thing's first, any praise i put forward applies to the first cast, and the first cast only.

Skins is phenomenal- Channel 4 have really nailed it. The acting is superb from teen and adult, the storyline is absolutely amazing and it is not short of strong emotion towards the characters. At points in series 2 i was sat on my sofa with a tear in my eye (Chris and Jal?) and I'm a 16 year old boy. :) I think that the thing i really love about Skins is the fact that although there is a powerful main story line that can be very dark in places, they still fit in some very pure and original humour, that can have you in hysterics, depending on what floats your boat. Across the two series, there really wasn't much to pick up badly on. I wasn't impressed by the second last episode of season 2; i think it was a good decision but pulled off in entirely the wrong way. Apart from that however i really cant fault this drama.

Now that is out of the way, I think it is a crime to put series 3 and 4 under the same umbrella. It is not Skins. The mood changes from modern teenage culture to "lets repeatedly do drugs and beat people up". It completely ruined any message that was being originally portrayed. The acting was pants (especially on Effy's behalf), the storyline was disjointed and didn't follow any theme, many parts ripped off seasons 1 and 2, the cast was unoriginal, the humour was absolutely f****** dreadful and completely unfunny, and i felt completely insulted to have my image as a teenager portrayed like that.

Did i mention how bad the acting was? I also hate the fact that the sex, lesbians, drugs, parties, suicide, sex, emotions and sex that did make the first Skins amazing in the correct dosage have been crammed and overused in a vain attempt to achieve some sort of goal which to me is completely unclear.

Oh and the acting is awful.

Overall, Skins 1 and 2 is my favourite TV series. Ever. When it comes to 3 and 4, every episode made me want to punch someone and the sheer amount of failure that came with it is just overwhelming. Do Skins a favour and don't even attempt to watch this complete monstrosity.

I love it!!!

Author: actormichaelo from United Kingdom
29 February 2008

In 2007, i sat down to watch the first series of ''Skins'' not really knowing what to think before it started but as it did i found myself getting more involved in the characters lives and was able to place myself into there situations. Absaloutly superb acting by all of the cast, young and older, Fantastic script, Outstanding communication with the young public and faces the real life problems young people face these days. About a Boy's Nicholas Hoult is amazing, i was blown away with his performance as Tony, a moody teenager that has two sides to him, spiteful and sweet, Mike Bailey also gives a great performance as his shy character Sid Jenkins who is slowly evolving into more of a confident character because of Cassie (his girlfriend) played by Hannah Murray who in my eyes gives one of the strongest female performance's in Channel 4 history, she gives her character an unusual, almost spooky gift about her. Kind of' creeps you out a little but you can tell she is sweet in heart. One of the strongest male performances in the show is played by Dev Patel , who in the show is Anwar, the desperate for a girlfriend Asian teenager who is best friends with the gay character Maxxie, played by Mitch Hewer, who in my opinion gives one of the best male performances in TV history, outstanding! I was blown away by his performance in the stalker storyline with Sketch, who also gives a brilliant performance.

All together Skins is a amazing show and i advise people of all ages to watch! Other main characters include Michelle, Jal, Chris.

only show that shows what being a teenager is really like

Author: eamo-1 from Ireland
12 February 2008

the first series is simply brilliant. The acting is actually quite good, you get the feeling that most of them are just like their characters. But skins isn't about acting it's about finally giving teenagers something to watch that we can really relate to.

There's at least one character for everyone to feel a connection with, or a friendship, but no teen can say that skins is bad, even some adults that remember the olden days should enjoy it. The episode when Cassie appeared was what got me hooked, she was so disturbingly real. I don't watch TV but i must say i love skins and advise everyone to watch it.

Fun! Outragous!

Author: alexmcinnes10 from United Kingdom
26 January 2007

I thought Skins was fantastic! Although a little far fetched at times its still entertaining and funny too. Even though its targeted at people over 18, being 15 I think this program totally appeals to my age group (for all the wrong reasons). I certainly do hope they do another series, you can relate someone you know to all of the characters and has gaped a hole in English comedy!!! I certainly suggest it and check out E4's website, you can learn much more about the characters and extra clips. Overall my favourite aspect of the program are the characters especially Maxxie and Tony! - warning this program contains strong language, sex and a plethora of drug references

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]