IMDb > "Metalocalypse" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Metalocalypse"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Metalocalypse" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

awesome

Author: mark_h_beavers from United States
26 August 2006

First of all, in regards to the comment about how the show sucks....The show doesn't make fun of metal...the writer of the show writes and plays the songs, members of nevermore, arch enemy, and other bands do voice overs, they even got Kind Diamond, the show is supported by Gibson guitars and Krank amps, this show doesn't bash metal, its a fiction show about metal, and how brutal and bad ass this band is, this band is how every metal band wishes they could be, i mean you say the show is all about gore and violence but isn't that what death metal is about? i mean listen to the lyrics of death metal bands like Cannibal Corpse, Necrophagist, Children of Bodom, etc. the lyrics aren't about rainbows and showering the world with puppies. its brutal and about death and hate and isolation and pain. This show captures all that is metal. The songs are amazing, so is the animation, i mean they even make the animated guitar playing accurate to how the song is played in real life, you can't even bash the animation. The songs have awesome riff, good solos, sweet drumming, and killer vocals. This show makes me want to be in a brutal metal band. You can bash it all you want but this show isn't making fun of metal its trying to raise metal up. This show rocks.

A Great Show that some people apparently don't understand

Author: LuckyJack7 from United States
27 August 2006

I've read some pretty bad comments of this show and I've gotta say, I definitely don't agree. In no way shape or form is this show trying to cash in on the randomness of jokes like Chuck Norris or ninjas or pirates or whatever. And this show doesn't make fun of metal. Trying to make it a broad of view of Brendon Small downing metal bands is a terrible accusation. The show has some of the funniest dialog on Adult Swim. Sure the show has a lot of randomness in the first episode, but it's a friggin' 11 min. show. Send out your own message in 15 minutes and I'll send you a delicious cookie. The two Norweigins in the show are freakin hilarious, Nathan Explosion rules, Pickles, unfortunately seems to be the brains of the group and William Murderface Murderface Murderface is a nihilist. So before you listen to these clowns, saying the show sucks, watch the show decide for yourself before any of these other guys tell you what you think of the show. Besides that, the music kicks ass. Keep it Harsh.

Deserves Attention

Author: hunter_among_kings from United States
25 August 2006

I have been a long-time fan of both the adult swim lineup and metal. Metalocalypse does not disappoint. However, one must be able to have a true appreciation of "art" in every sense of the word.

Dethklok has been described as a disgrace to "metalheads" for being so ignorant and "stupid".

OK, well apparently that's how Metallica sees themselves--making time to do guest voice-overs for particular characters of the show. They are practically the foundation for what metal is today and they're perfectly okay with this representation.

I mean, after all, one goes into this show KNOWING that it is a COMEDY of the extreme adult swim variety, therefore the gore and "stupidity" are both expected and well-embraced.

People with artistic taste are praising Brendon Small for his creation. People with musical taste are also praising him for his phenomenal musical abilities. People with violent taste are drooling with satisfaction of the random death and maiming.

They're not trying to sell an album, just produce an excellently sound-tracked comedy series. Let's be a little more lenient with the tiny box we try to fit them in.

Dethklok brings metal to the masses.

Author: bbware333 from United States
9 August 2006

Jeeze, where do I even start? This show looks really promising. Metalocalypse follows the adventures of the world's most popular band, Dethklok. The half American, half Scandinavian band is the epitome of metal, so much so that they are pretty much useless in every other facet of life, as the first episode shows. Clearly, Brendon Small (the creator of the show) is a metal-head, and as such there are often little nuances and inside jokes that other metal fans will truly appreciate. It's really a bit like Spinal Tap, if they were black-metal. The Norwegian and Swedish guitar players are hysterical, even though you can hardly understand anything they say, but thats what makes them so funny. Their broken English is a perfect play on almost any guitar player from any death/black metal band you can think of. Cameos from Kirk and James from Metallica leave me wondering what other musicians might do voices in upcoming episodes, and how can you not automatically love a show that has Mark Hamill in a recurring role? The music is also worth mentioning, I dunno who is writing it, or if there's actually a real band working behind-the-scenes, but it's all top notch. I have a good feeling most of Dethklok's songs will end up on my playlist.

Another thing I gotta give the show's creators credit for is the band's Myspace page. Despite being strictly anti-Myspace in almost every respect, I couldn't help but admire how not only the band has a Myspace, but even the band members have their own individual ones, with complete profiles, friend's lists, and descriptions that stay completely in character. Genius. Of course, Dethklok wouldn't say they sold out by signing up for Myspace. Instead, they'd say they are making it metal. Then they'd kill you for questioning their motives. Cause of death? Pure brutal-ness.

This first episode was good, but I see a lot of potential for Metalocalypse to become great. I can't even wait to buy the Season 1 DVD.

My only complaint? That episodes are only 15 mins instead of a full half hour.

Add this to the Venture Bros. and there is only one channel I need come Sunday night.

Most addictive absurdism and satire ever.

Author: lassitude from Seattle
9 October 2006

Adult Swim has added a number of new shows in the last two years, and people have had all sorts of reactions. Regardless of whatever reaction a person may have to Metalocalypse, you have to admit that it will get your attention once or twice.

Without parroting the same praise others have given the show, I'll say that the reason it's so intensely hilarious is because it takes five very well defined characters illustrative of classic metal personalities and brings them down to earth, readily accessible, and just waiting to screw up horribly in everything else they do. No matter how well or ill intended they are in their non-metal deeds, they invariably amplify the horror of the every day human experience. When we sit down and watch, we're just dying to see what the death-toll will be.

Some people have said that the humor in Metalocalypse is "too simple", or "too tasteless"; I can't really argue much with the latter because gore is a running gag, but I'd hardly dismiss it as "simple". Granted, unless you're aware of metal archetypes and racial stereotypes of Scandinavians, you're going to miss a lot of the "inside jokes" and things may get boring. Nevertheless, if you watch from the beginning and keep each previous episode in mind as you watch the next, it'll all make sense. That's one of the reasons I'm absolutely enamored with Metalocalypse. The prevalent attitude coming from its creators is not smug or exclusive or stuck-up, and it doesn't feel like they're trying too hard to be funny. Everything strikes me as being quite innate and not at all forced or deliberate.

If you ask me, metal itself is a pretty pretentious genre. Like gangsta rap, metal personalities are almost invariably malignant. Luminaries of either genre have always portrayed themselves as infallible gods who know no wrong, and can do no wrong. A quick study of any celebrity culture in any country indicates that so many of these people are terminally narcissistic and histrionic, ready to take full advantage of us little people. Rather than fume while resenting it, we can make fun of them and remind them that they still use toilets and make stupid mistakes.

Many people have compared Metalocalypse to "This Is Spinal Tap", and I can see that. I can sooner see a comparison to "CB4", though. I would've loved it if some genius had managed to make CB4 into a series on Adult Swim. Same concept, slightly different details. Point being, it's a great deal of fun to plot through the "real, dumb lives" of people who believe themselves to be living gods.

In any case, I absolutely love the show and measure my weeks in terms of Fix premieres and Sunday night airings. This is the best new show on the network, and I hope its creators take full license when creating more episodes. There is a host of potential in Metalocalypse because metal itself will never go away, nor will the personalities behind it. If I don't get at least another season or two, I'll just develop dysthymia.

We're All Gonna Die.

Author: beefyrae from Home
1 October 2006

Metalocalypse is AWESOME. Not only is Brendon Small it's co-creator, (Home Movies, folks) but he also voices more than half the characters and writes and plays all of the music. And the music, by the way, is REALLY impressive. I was not expecting it to be that good, but it's AWESOME and the lyrics are hilarious to boot. The script is apparently mostly improvised in that classic Brendon Small style and that makes for some side splitting and extremely quotable moments. The characters are hilarious. Their voices, designs and quirks make them funny and somehow... lovable characters. I'm having a hard time picking a favorite one.

There's Nathan Explosion, the seemingly indestructible but retarded, anxious, alcoholic lead vocalist. There's Skwisgaar: Swedish, generally cynical and smart Alec, also loose and somehow the fastest guitarist alive. There's Toki, the whiny, "tweenish" and naive Norwegian who just so happens to be the second fasted guitarist alive. There's Pickles, Wisconsinite drummer with serious substance abuse issues, a dorky accent and a head of fiery combed-over dreadlocks. And last, but not least, Murderface, the violent and hateful bassist (who can play with his junk, by the way) who has some unresolved traumatic childhood issues. Often times he reverts back to an almost childlike state and can be heard murmuring things like, "I miss Pickles." (And random side note about Murderface. I noticed shortly after the series started that he looked exactly like the man from the opening of Ace Ventura Pet Detective. You know, the guy with the dog? IMDb won't let me paste a link, but google Randall 'Tex' Cobb and you'll see a pic of of the actor with boxing gloves.)

Overall, I'd give this show a 10 (cause I can't go higher XP) and I can't wait for season 2, and 3, and 4!!! (Oh man, if they know what's good for them... *shakes fist*) I seriously haven't liked anything on adult swim this much in a VERY long time. Seems like almost all of the programming for a while has been effortlessly thrown together, badly animated and sopping with that "trying-way-too-hard" style of randomness. Kudos to Brendon, Tommy and the rest of the gang. Metalocalypse is TOTALLY BRUTAL.

Intense and funny

Author: billmendoza from United States
14 August 2006

Playing of the stereotypes of metal musicians, Smalls brings a adrenaline induced "pommellization" of pounding, pulverizing pandemonium with Metalocalypse. If you like the humor in the awesome cult movie, This is Spinal Tap, you'll be stoked for Metalocalypse.

Though be warned of the ultra-violent nature of this cartoon. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone under 12. When Dethklock claims to be "metal", they indeed prove to be "metal" in their disregard for their fans safety while performing the most intense Coffee Jingle ever created.

For what its worth, Metalocalypse doesn't disappoint. With the plethora of fantastic programming on adult swim (no sarcasm intended), Metalocalypse makes staying up late more rewarding, though most of us who play music know that 11:30 PM isn't late.

We're here to make coffee metal.

Author: modlotus from United States
9 August 2006

This cartoon is excruciatingly gory and hardcore. Norwegian death metal has never before been so grandly captured. Whether it is the grinding assault of the plot lines or the melodic head thrashing tunes, Dethklok will rock Metalocalypse straight into your heart, chew it up, spit it out and throw it at the audience.

Gruesomely detailed background combine with barely distinguishable dialog, glorious flowing hair and sporadic screaming and violence mix with normal every day events for these world famous rock stars, known also as "The most cultural influence in the world".

This show is in no way intended for children, and is showed on Sunday nights on Adult Swim.

Deathklok Metalocalypse is worth it.

Author: Paranoid-Pajamas from United States
14 August 2006

Metalocalypse is a strangely addictive show. It delivers the witty humor of other Small shows such as Home Movies, while bringing a brand new premise to the adult swim network: Metal. The band the show focuses on can easily be described as the modern animated Spinal Tap: A pampered and powdered rock band with a heart of black, trying to make it in the world of Metal and convert all to be Metal. Members of the band (Deathklok) are lovable for their antics and hilarious one liners (like when the guitarist, Skwisgaar Skwigelf (Taller Than a Tree) refers to a grocery store as a "food library"). The only complaint this user has to offer is the bit toilet humor parts of the show, though they are rare. For more Metal, go to adultswim.com and search Metalocalypse. You will not be sorry.

brutal

Author: tormented_duckie from United States
17 September 2006

This show kicks ass. If you are a fan of metal, then you'll like this show. Its very random, but funny as hell. I read other comments saying it was dumb because its funny, and because its "poorly" created. I'm sure Brendon Small realizes its "poorly" created. I highly doubt its a matter of how much it costs, but to make it funnier to watch. The music is brilliant. Even more knowing Brendon Small does it all. Its about time there was a show about metal. This is probably the best turn Adult Swim has ever made. And for everyone who says its dumb, its a god damn cartoon. Shut the hell up. If you don't like it so much, don't watch it. The only way you would be able to point out all these "mistakes" was if you watched more than one episode, considering its only a 15 min show.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]