IMDb > Step Brothers (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Step Brothers

Step Brothers More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 29: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Ferrell, Reilly, Jenkins, Steenburgen & Hahn Work Well As A Step-Family

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
1 November 2010

I generally prefer Adam McKay's direction to that of Judd Apatow and I had heard good things about 'Step Brothers' which is why I wanted to give it a shot in addition to seeing how John C. Reilly and Will Ferrell play off each other as brothers. To me they look like brothers and act well off one another as stepbrothers who initially loathe one another before becoming close friends. The premise is obviously very silly but the actors make it work. Next to Ferrell and Reilly, Kathryn Hahn (as Brennan's insanely horny sister-in-law), Adam Scott (as his arrogant younger brother), Richard Jenkins (as the stepfather) and Mary Steenburgen (as the loving mother) do nothing short of an excellent job as the display their comic flair. More than Brennan and Dale, their characters are the ones that stay in mind for a while after the end credits have rolled. There is plenty of toilet humour surrounding sex, testicles and poop, which does go over the top but for me the funniest parts were the interactions between the actors and the dialogues that went with it. This may not be as entertaining as McKay's funniest 'Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy' but it is enjoyable for a one-time watch.

Stepbros

Author: tykinz251 from United States
16 October 2010

"Step Brothers" is one of the funniest movies of all-time! Will Farrell and John C. Reilly are an incredible comedic team. It's one of those movies that you can watch over and over again, and later end up quoting lines with your friends.

It's filled with constant, stupid and ridiculous humor that make you laugh out loud.

Every college kid in America would love this movie. Everybody I know loves this movie and I don't know anyone that dislikes it.

I've watched this movie over ten times, and each time i watch it, i find new things that make me laugh. IF you like any of Will Farrell's movies, you will love this one.

Just writing this review makes me want to go and watch it again!

Hilariously entertaining for what it's worth

Author: Terrell Howell (KnightsofNi11) from United States
23 July 2010

Step Brothers is an uproariously hilarious comedy showcasing the hysterical comedic talent of Will Ferrell (Anchorman, Elf) and John C. Reiley (Magnolia, Chicago). When Brennan Huff's (Ferrell) mother marries Dale Doback's (Reiley) father, tensions immediately grow. Ferrell and Reiley play the perfect immature man-child characters, making for a great amount of hilarious situations to ensue. The two step brothers immediately despise each other. It isn't until they realize that they are the same kind of ridiculous, nerdy, and insane people that they become best friends, wanting nothing more than to please their parents and have a great time doing it. There are plenty of scenes memorable for their disgusting hilarity.

Step Brothers is what you would expect from two comedic geniuses like Will Ferrell and John C. Reiley. The movie is nonstop fun with plenty of laugh out loud moments that will leave your stomach hurting, partly from the laughter and partly from the disgusting greatness which their antics entail. It is hard not to laugh at this film, and for what it's worth, it really is a film worth watching if you enjoy the ridiculous kind of comedy Step Brothers thrives on. As the story progresses it brings in a great cast of funny and awkward characters such as Brennan's younger and much more successful brother Derek (Adam Scott). He adds a whole new level to the bizarre and entertaining progression of these characters. Each character is different and, pardon the cliché, special in their own odd way.

To me, this is the kind of movie where it isn't necessary to dissect, looking for excelling cinematography or intricate plot and multi-layered characters. It is a film which only serves the purpose of making you laugh. The movie delivers, without taking itself seriously at any moment, and just having fun. If you can't enjoy this film for what it is, then it's your loss. Step Brothers isn't perfect, but it's not trying to be. And that's what makes it the fun little film it is. The story has it's issues, but it's not meant to be excelling in all fields. For this kind of film there's nothing wrong with that. It does somewhat drop off towards the end and felt very strange and rushed. But this is honestly my only valid complaint. It feels as if the filmmakers possibly got a little lazy towards the end of the story, and just wrapped it up with no substance to an otherwise fun and enjoyable story.

Step Brothers delivers the laughs, and for a film like this, that is its only intention. It made me laugh. I enjoyed it. It's worth seeing overall.

An excellent comedy. But painful after an hour of viewing

Author: PeachSlice from United Kingdom
22 July 2010

One of my favourite comedies and really good for quoting. However, it feels like they used all their gags on the first part of the film. It was just flat. Also the character 'Alice' is so annoying and really doesn't help the plot of the film. The actor sucked in this film and also in Anchorman. But back to Step Brothers. I gave it 9/10 due to its hilarity in the first part of the film but the end really lets itself go. Im now struggling for something else to say about this film, (stupid 10lines guideline!) There are moments of the film that I HATE like the singing part in the car. I just cringe because it is just not funny. Basically whenever Alice arrives on-screen. The ending was a bit of a let down because there is no gag at the end so when the lights dim in the cinema you have to walk out in silence rather than in hysterics.

Not as good as Talladega Nights, but still funny

Author: Steven from Columbus, Ohio
22 May 2010

Step Brothers marks the third collaboration between director Adam McKay and Will Ferrell. This movie is not as good as Talladega Nights, but it still has a lot of laughs. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly become step brothers when Ferrell's mom (Mary Steenburgen) and Reilly's dad (Richard Jenkins) get married. Neither Brennan (Ferrell) or Dale (Reilly) are happy about it. They hate each other and then get into fights. Then they start having a good time when they find out that they both have common interests.

McKay makes the laughs keep coming and makes a solid effort. It lacks the originality and morality that Talladega Nights had. Ferrell and Reilly show that they can repeat the same chemistry that they had in Talladega Nights. Anyone who is a fan of Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, or any other Frat Pack comedies should check this out.

Oh my goodness...it's funny...it's actually so stupid that it is hilarious!!

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
2 March 2010

I don't really like Will Ferrell much, in fact I have never been a fan of silly, stupid, gross out comedy like Adam Sandler's early films and Anchorman and every possible spoof film out there. I don't know what possessed me to watch Stepbrothers...boredom and it was on the movie network. But within minutes I was smiling, five minutes later I was laughing, and a half hour I was shocked to discover I was having an amazing fun time. The movie was outrageous and silly, and disgusting, full of gratuitous sexual references and bad language and gosh darn it...I was loving every minute of it. Movies are meant to entertain and the makers behind Stepbrothers weren't trying to teach anyone anything, or make any sort of statement but take two actors who are really good at playing really stupid stooges and putting them into a ridiculously good idea. Adding in some really great supporting cast members and have them belt out equally ridiculous things and you'll be rolling in the aisles despite yourself. I'm actually shocked that many consider this to not be one of Ferrell's comedies because this was ten times more entertaining than crap like Anchorman. It actually makes me rethink watching Ferrell comedies.

Will Ferrell plays a 10 year old, maybe a little less trapped in the body of a 40 year old. Not an entirely original concept given movies like Big, 13 Going On 30, Jack (Robin Williams)...but this is a whole different ball of wax. Ferrell is at his silliest and terrifically stupid and it works perfectly for this film. If anything could be said about John C. Reilly he is a versatile actor but obviously likes being silly. He's not your typical slapstick comedian, in fact I think he's a serious actor that can let go and be silly. In this case he manages to meet Ferrell's level of silly childishness and the two of them together are an absolute riot. They have terrific chemistry and deliver the lines like true children. They literally couldn't have done better than get Oscar nominated Mary Steenburgen and Richard Jenkins (Jenkins was nominated after Stepbrothers but not FOR Stepbrothers ha!) The two of them together are amazing and perhaps the true highlight of the film. They are so prim and proper and have this hot (if not a little strange romance) and then when things start to fall apart...well they are both hilarious. The four of them make this film incredible.

Am I gloating about a silly movie? Yes definitely because I am the first person to condemn stupid comedies but this one just caught me off guard and made me laugh like I hadn't laughed at a comedy in a long time. Director and writer Adam McKay comes straight from Saturday Night Live and has worked with Ferrell before, neither of these things necessarily make him a good director. In fact, most times SNL alumni make rather poor films. Skits don't translate well into an hour and a half or more...hear that makers of "MacGruber" UGH! Anyways...put your brain on hold, and be prepared to simply laugh and laugh and feel good. The one liners that come out of this movie and the chemistry between every one of them is just unstoppable. No matter what kind of comedies you like I encourage you to check this out. If your friends like stupid gross out comedy and you don't...this one will be the one you can all enjoy despite yourself. Just plain fun. 8/10

Disappointed!

Author: jamesy118 from United Kingdom
7 January 2010

I had high expectations of this film due too comments on reviews like "I laughed whole way through" and "ive never laughed so hard" but too be honest i didn't laugh once.

There was a slow tedious start with a thin plot and disruption and my wait for it to get better and amusing kept on. Ferrell played a role similar too that in elf, slightly annoying and i wasn't a fan of Reilly.

Very little happened and the film was one of those average comedies similar to that of a adam sandler film; worth the watch and one you may for some reason end up watching again, but not entertaining!

Overall im disappointed as I expected more.

this is one not for the prude

Author: MLDinTN from TN
3 August 2009

Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly just know how to be funny while acting stupid. The 2 play 40 year olds that still live at home with their single parents. Their parents meet and marry and now they must share a room together. The 2 don't have jobs and are basically the most irresponsible 40 year olds one could imagine. They start off as enemies but team up when Brennan's brother shows up because they both hate him.

As long as you are no prude and not completely offended by the language in this(in my opinion way too many f bombs, but if it is funny, it's funny) then you should find this movie hysterical.

A few scenes I remember are just the way they act when grounded from TV, the job interviews, Brennan on the drums, the rap video and destroying the boat, Alice and Dale in the bathroom, getting beat up by Gardoski.

FINAL VERDICT: If you like adult comedies and are a fan of Old School, then you should watch this.

Step Brothers Review

Author: clairealexander197 from United States
20 April 2016

Quite literally one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I did not even smile while watching the film. I am slowly loosing hope for comedic films as a whole. I refuse to hop on the "so stupid it's funny" bandwagon. Have writers simply decided they don't want to work on meaningful comedy anymore?

I am not a fan of Will Ferrel movies in general but I will admit that I have, once or twice, chuckled while watching one of his films. This film, in particular, contains not one redeemable moment. Characters are unrealistic and unlikable. The premise of the film is cringe worthy. I do not plan on ever watching a Will Ferell movie again.

This movie was one of the most hilarious movies ever made.

Author: Hello Kitty from North Pole
9 November 2012

Step Brothers Movie Review

This movie will give you the best time ever; however, it is for mature audiences ONLY. If you are not over, at least 18, this movie may not be for you. If you like extremely crude humor, you will definitely fall in love with this movie. This movies curses all the time and sexual humor is also involved. Also, as most movies do, this one has a moral.

Step Brothers has extremely crude humor and will make anyone laugh and have a good time. Step Brothers uses crude humor as one of its primary sources of comedy. The brothers act very rudely towards each other and their parents in the beginning of the movie in a very comical way. A quote to prove this statement is one that takes place when the two brothers are grounded and Brennan Huff (Will Ferrell) says, "This house is a f***ing prison, on planet bull sh**, in the galaxy of 'this sucks camel d****!'"

Another aspect that this movie shares with its crude humor, is its sexual humor. Although Step Brothers doesn't use sexual humor quite as much as it does crude humor, it still learns to use it in a very humorous way. A situation in the movie to prove its sexual humor is a scene in which Dale Doback (John C. Reilly) doesn't want Brennan Huff (Will Ferrel) to touch his drum set. Brennan Huff (Will Ferrel) then threatens to put his genitals on Dale Doback's (John C. Reilly's) drum set, and proceeds to do so.

As fun and humorous as this movie can be, some bad elements go into it as well. People may not like the fact that this movie introduces a rather stupidity type of humor. Also the fact that many things that show up in this movie, aren't at all relatable to the ongoing story happening throughout the movie; However, this movie still shows a good side to all of the characters and a good story.

As most movies do, Step Brothers has a very good moral to its story. The moral is, in my opinion, that people need to learn to push through their differences and get along. This moral goes very well with the story for reasons such that the two brothers are meeting each other for the first time and absolutely hate each other. Throughout the movie, they learn that they actually have a few things in common and learn to push through their differences, and become best friends, or in this case, brothers.

Do step brothers really act this way? Maybe they do, maybe they don't, this movie says they do. Watch for the end of the movie in which the brothers get a little present.