IMDb > Step Brothers (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Step Brothers

Step Brothers More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

low expectations weren't low enough

Author: Menno from Netherlands
10 May 2011

First off I didn't watch the entire movie. I had enough after about 45 minutes so it could get extremely funny after that, I doubt it however.

When I saw the trailer for this movie on TV I thought it was a "straight to DVD" movie, low budget and made for quick laughs and quicker cash. I was therefor thoroughly surprised, when I came to this site, to learn it had a $65,000,000 dollar budget and grossed $30,000,000 in it's opening weekend.

I say this so you know my mindset, When I tuned in to this I was expecting a bad movie, bad jokes and brainless humor. Nothing could have prepared me for this though. In the time I watched I did not laugh once. The jokes are painfully unfunny and/or have been used so often that any fun has been beaten out of it years ago.

I suggest staying clear of this movie and just rent a movie which offers the same type of humor but which is actually funny.

Without doubt, the worst movie I have ever seen!

Author: drh-8 from Australia
8 April 2010

The IMDb guide says that this movie is a comedy. Doesn't that mean that I was supposed to laugh at it? Maybe it's something to do with American humour (or should that be humor?) but there wasn't one single point during this total waste of 98 minutes of my valuable life that I even so much as smiled! What are the chances of two people meeting, falling in love (or was it merely lust?), getting married and finding that they each have a son in his forties who has the mental age of a first-grader? I wondered if the two sons (Farrell and Reilley) had actually been first-graders, whether the story might have been more believable and, dare one hope, funnier. I decided it wouldn't! Those two "men" (sorry guys, I realise that's a bit of an insult to the adult male gender) ought to have been in institutions and, maybe, the whole movie changed its genre to one where the parents worked together to make the world a better place for such unfortunate people.

Then there was the gratuitous profanity from just about every character for the entire duration. I am lost for words to attempt to comment on that - other than to say it served absolutely no useful purpose whatsoever! In my movie collection, I have a copy of the original silent version of "Nosferatu" and "Santa With Muscles" (another fairly pathetic waste of time - mine and the film-makers), but THIS has to take the prize for being the worst movie I have EVER seen. I can only assume that there are people out there who obviously have some sort of empathy with the characters of Step Brothers and who saw something in this travesty to make them laugh. They have my abject sympathy!

I wish I had spent the 98 minutes watching my front lawn grow! It would have been a LOT more fun! Why doesn't IMDb have an option to award a movie zero because it certainly isn't worth 1?

Suggestion: Add an extra text screen at the beginning of "Step Brothers" stating clearly that anyone with an IQ higher than 40 should not watch it!

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre of comedies

Author: Nathan Casey from South Africa
19 March 2010

Will Ferrel is kind of hit and miss for me. I thought Anchorman was not so good but not complete shite. I really enjoyed Blades of Glory. I have no doubt that some people will think two grown men acting like thirteen-year-olds is hilarious and to be honest some parts were amusing, but all in all this movie disturbed me.

The basic plot is man meets woman, man and woman both have thirty-year-old sons who live with them and are juvenile, woman moves in with man, sons don't like each other.

That's it really. there's a bit about Will Ferrell's younger brother being successful and a dick but...

I didn't watch till the end coz honestly it got a bit boring and the comic aspect gets tired but I don't think it could go from mediocre to brilliant in twenty minutes or so. It's really just the same Will Ferrell concept.

So Disappointed in Will and Billy

Author: taford02-1 from United States
30 May 2010

I had become accustomed to seeing Will in movies that were pretty clean. I was so disappointed in this movie! There was so much cursing and vulgarity that I simply could not finish watching it. I tried to watch it close to three times. Each time something occurred that was so abhorrent to me that I just had to quit watching it. The whole thing about the drum set was completely gross. The fact that viewers were shown some version of the male anatomy without warning was completely objectionable. I do not know if I will ever trust Will Ferrell again. He truly let me down. As for John C. Reilly --to be so talented and waste it in a movie like this is so sad. I am also disappointed in Mary Steenburgen. This is definitely a "guy" movie. I do not know many women who would be interested in watching something that displays so much immaturity. I find it outstanding that someone would really consider making a movie like this in our day and age. I do not know how it did at the box office--but I would suspect that it did not fare very well. I loved Will in Bewitched and I fully expected him to be funny like that in this movie. Again, I wouldn't waste time watching this truly below average movie for any reason that I can think of right now.

Freakin Awesome

Author: liamrfowler from United Kingdom
18 September 2009

I watched this film the other day and I had already been a fan of Adam Mckay films and now I love them even more. This film had me laughing non stop start to end. Will Ferrell and John C Reily are an amazing duo and definitely should do more films together. I also enjoyed the star appearance of Seth Rogen which had me in tears. The lines from that film will be living in my mind for a long time now. I wouldn't say it was up to Anchorman standards but it was definitely better than Talladega Nights. Will Ferrell is an amazing actor and writer and should work so much more with Adam Mckay and John C Reily. If you haven't seen this film you are missing out so go out now and get this film!

Why?

Author: smith666 from United States
6 December 2008

Yet another movie about middle aged men acting like children. How original. This is typical for a Will Ferrell movie. Oh yeah, and let's see how many times we can put the F word in it for no reason. The funniest one in the movie is Kathryn Hahn, she is hilarious. The rest of the supporting cast is pretty good and with that there are only a couple of funny bits, like the Christmas dinner. It was great to see Mary Steenburgen in something again. The rest of the movie is just sad. Why is it that the longer comic actors are acting, and getting paid more and more money, the less funny they become? Also I loved John C. Reilly in Walk Hard, but this time 'round he should have just said no thanks. Don't waste your time or money.

A Little Too Disgusting

Author: qormi from United States
30 July 2010

This movie had its high points and I'm not ashamed to say that I was laughing a lot throughout most of the movie. The snotty younger brother was played to perfection. The moments where the parents lost their cool and began swearing was hilarious. The job interview scenes were hilarious. The stay -at-home loser step brothers were hilarious for the most part. The first three quarters of the movie was very funny. Towards the end, it was not. The Catalina Wine Mixer was a disaster. The part where the pychiatrist falls for Ferrell was dumb. The boat - as - treehouse was a terrible way to end the movie. The writers seemed to settle for a bad way to tie things up at the end and this caused the movie as a whole to fail. I also could not get past the vulgarness of some of the routines. The part where Ferrell places his scrotum, in full view, on the drum set was very sickening. The loud, intense farting was very insulting to a sophisticated viewer. The masturbation scene, where Ferrell slips his hand down his pants while watching TV, was very sick. The scene where the younger brother's wife has sex standing up and then relieved herself in a urinal was very sick.It's a shame that a movie that was perfectly cast and had such potential was ruined by blatant, sick vulgarness. Imagine if the great Pink Panther movies, for example, submitted to such base humor. Unnecessary catering to the uncouth members of the audience.

There HAS to be something better to watch.

Author: LeeMcBride from United States
17 February 2009

Stepbrothers is as pathetic as it is unfunny. Richard Jenkins and Mary Steenburgen must have both been pretty hard up to make this one. (?) After seeing Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor" (for which he has received an Oscar nomination), it is inexplicable that he would have had anything to do with this garbage. Or was he simply trying to display the full spectrum of his talent? I dunno, but I just don't find the premise of two middle-aged men living with their parents and acting like they are still 12 years old very funny - especially since both characters were also so obnoxious and unlikeable. In hindsight, I think the biggest joke of the movie is the one perpetrated by Will Ferrell when he can get anyone to pay to watch the crap he has written.

My Most Unfavorite Will Ferrell Movie

Author: dneunabe from United States
24 August 2008

I want to preface my post by stating that I generally love Will Ferrell movies. I own most of them. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)are two Will Ferrell movies I've watched maybe a dozen times each. I also thought Blades of Glory (2007) was funny. However, I did not find this movie funny, or even interesting. The only funny scene I found funny was the interview scene where the two brothers interview with the uptight woman "Pam." They never pulled off the "40 year old acting like a 13 year old" act. They seemed to me like adult men acting foolish. The theater was nearly empty; it seems like people are voting with their feet. This movie was a definite two thumbs down for me. Don't waste your money in the theatre, wait for it to come out on video.

Not a good movie at all

Author: the-ache from Canada
10 August 2008

Ill admit i saw it opening night and loved it, it might of been the mood i was in, it might of been me wanting to see another good will ferrel movie since thats been lacking. I saw it again today with a friend and we were both sitting their dumbfounded by how stupid the movie is. Both of us wanting to talk out but not mentioning in case the other was enjoying. He and i are HUGE Will Ferrel fans but this was terrible. I haven't gone out to see semi pro because of bad reviews from critics and my friend and he said its about as bad as semi pro. I cant wait for will ferrels next movie because i PRAY that it is not another failed attempt at comedy.