IMDb > Step Brothers (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Step Brothers

Step Brothers More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 29: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Classic.

Author: mrsOGB from United States
1 November 2012

My husband and I watch this movie a few times a year and have done so since it came out on DVD. Saw it when it came out at the theater and my stomach hurt from laughing so much. We quote this movie constantly. Almost daily,in fact. If you do not think this movie is funny then you have no sense of humor. If you do not quote this movie or recognize a quote from this movie then you are a loser with no sense of humor.It really is a super funny movie. How many times can you say that a movie is funny? I guess enough to meet the ten line minimum to write a review on IMDb. I am trying not to pad this review. Do you think its okay that this review isn't movie quality? We are headed out to The Cheesecake Factory to have some drinks.

Enjoyable vehicle for Ferrell and O' Reilly

Author: Andrew Pelechaty from Brisbane, Australia
21 October 2012

On the surface, 'Stepbrothers 'seems like the perfect formula: Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly playing to immature 40-year-old Brennan (Ferrell) and Dale (Reilly) who behave like kids and still live with their parents. Their neat little worlds are consequently turned around when their parents Nancy (Mary Steenburgen) and Robert (Richard) get married.

Not surprisingly, the funniest scenes involve Ferrell and Reilly and there are lots of brilliant lines as the stepbrothers hurl insults at each other. The two leads are complemented by Adam Scott, who plays Brennan's douchebag brother to great effect and his sexually frustrated wife (Kathryn Hahn) who takes a liking to Dale.

The good thing about 'Stepbrothers' is its exactly what you'd expect. Its purely a vehicle for Ferrell and Reilly to unleash their comic talents and while the ending feels a bit rushed, the silly tone is kept right until the end.

Fantastic Performances From Both Will Ferrell And John C.Reilly,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
17 August 2012

Step Brothers is a fantastic and hilarious comedy movie with fantastic roles from Will Ferrell and John C Reilly as the immature,forty year old step brothers.Hopefully,a sequel will be made shortly,like Will Ferrell said,he will make one as soon as hes finished with the Anchorman sequel.which been that two great Will Ferrell movies are getting sequels,let hope this man doesn't disappoint,but I'm sure he wont,because his characters are hilarious.

Nancy Huff (Mary Steenbrurgen) and Robert Duback (Richard Jenkins) fall in love and get married very quickly.There two sons,Brennan Huff (Will Ferrell) and Dale Doback (John C Reilly) are not happy about this and don't get along at the beginning,but when Dale punches Brennans brother Derek,the two get along well and decide to plan a future in music with each other.

Hold On To 13 As Long As You Can

Author: Bill Slocum (bill.slocum@gmail.com) from Greenwich, CT United States
6 June 2012

"Step Brothers" is a goofy, gut-gripping if not -busting celebration of what it means to be young at heart - even if it means being the two oldest adolescents in the history of Western Civilization.

Brennan Huff (Will Ferrell) and Dale Doback (John C. Reilly) still live with their aging parents, a situation that creates conflict when their respective parents (played by Mary Steenburgen and Richard Jenkins) meet and fall in love. It's a rough couple of days as the two grown men share a bedroom and bicker like profane versions of Felix and Oscar. In time, though, they find they have a lot in common, like the same favorite dinosaur and a penchant for sleep-walking.

"I know we started out as foe," Brennan tells Dale after another bonding experience when Dale punches Brennan's obnoxious brother Derek (Adam Scott). "But after that courageous act...maybe we can become friends, friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds shooting flaming arrows across the Bridge of Hemdale."

I don't know what he means, either, but it's Ferrell and it's funny. So is the rest of the movie, most of the time, playing off the loony central characters and a universe crazy enough to reward their refusal to put aside childish things.

Director Adam McKay, who also co-wrote the script with Ferrell, knows how to get his stars to deliver funny lines, many of them apparently ad-libbed on the spot. I think he was aiming for the same quotable craziness of the earlier McKay/Ferrell collaboration "Anchorman." You can't fault them if the result isn't as solid ("Anchorman" is one recent comedy that has been rising, deservedly, in public estimation over time). What you get here is too loose in structure at times, and some of the running gags push crudity over wit. At the same time "Step Brothers" hangs together, especially with the bond that develops between Brennan and Dale.

One thing the film does well is celebrate the lost-in-time quality of Brennan and Dale's existence without overdoing it. There's no period music from the 1970s, and the presentation of the world around the boy-men is given its own zany spin.

Scott seems to be channeling Tom Cruise's "Magnolia" character as a Type-AAA personality who shows off his surprisingly well-oiled abs (he hasn't tasted a carb since 2003) and teases his brother mercilessly, and the office where he (and later Brennan) work is a clever send-up of testosterone-fueled capitalism. "It's the Catalina Wine Mixer" becomes one of the film's signature lines, usually with an obscene modifier before "Catalina." Watching Derek and pal Randy (Rob Riggle) say it over again is one of those things about the movie that should get more tired than it does. I just enjoyed watching them carry the bit off well-past the point of no return.

You do feel the film stretching for laughs at times, and it doesn't always work. A subplot between Dale and Scott's wife Alice (Kathryn Hahn) feels like a weak attempt at giving Reilly more to do, and the seams of this relationship really show on the extended edition.

Meanwhile, other bits that wound up on the cutting-room floor seem worth including in the released package, like Randy getting in such a lather he has a heart attack he tries to wave off. (Ferrell underplays this scene marvelously.) I also like the extended version of a dinner-table stand-off where Brennan won't share his "fancy sauce" with an equally hostile Dale. I think it builds some necessary tension that dissolves a little too soon. The pair is funny as friends, but funnier as adversaries.

Steenburgen and Jenkins are fantastic foils who find their own strange magic as the movie progresses, and whoever picked out Dale and Brennan's T-shirts should have gotten some kind of special wardrobe Oscar.

Worth watching? Definitely! Memorable? Sort of. A marked improvement over the lame and loud "Talladega Nights"? Yes, very much.

"Step Brothers" scores most especially as an opportunity to watch improvisatory geniuses practice their craft, with some heart-warming moments and a clever musical revelation scene built in at the end. If it doesn't feel classic, that's because it's not, but it whets the appetite for what this team will come up with next.

Fun with Ferrell & Reilly

Author: mike-seaman from United States
22 August 2011

Step Brothers is exactly what it wants to be and that is an over the top, fun, modern day screwball romp. Not every joke works or will hit each audience members' funny bones. But the hits out number the misses and when the jokes land, some of them create deep belly laughs.

Reilly and Ferrell, as seen in their previous manifestations, have a delightful comedic chemistry and are a joy to watch play off of each other. Adam McKay directs with precise timing (directors of comedies are often overlooked, but McKay's success has shown he is doing more than just pointing the camera at the actors). "Step Brothers" further pushes the sarcastic absurdest humor genre and transcends much of its contemporaries, because the Ferrell, Reilly, and McKay team actually craft intelligent humor. It may not appear that way at first glance, as much of it is ridiculous and crude, but there are real life parodies occurring. That's why people laugh, that is why their work together has been successful. This isn't dumb humor. It certainly isn't subtle, but intelligence does not necessarily require subtlety.

Watch on TV for best results.

Author: Glock_Boy from South Dakota
2 August 2011

Late one night on a business trip I caught 30-minutes of this movie on regular cable TV in a hotel room. I almost busted a gut. I really thought it was the funniest movie I had seen in a really long time.

So I purposefully stopped watching it and ordered the Blu-ray from Netflix.

I got home, poured myself a tall Jack and Coke and reclined ready to laugh my ass off.

Unfortunately, the profanity started with the first sentence and was thick throughout the movie.

Now, I like movies such as Scarface and Glengarry Glen Ross, so profanity, done right, enhances dialog. But the constant profanity in this film distracted me from otherwise really funny scenes.

I am thinking that the director said to himself half the scenes wouldn't be funny unless someone says Fu*k or Sh*t. Which explains why it was so funny on regular TV (edited) and not so much off the DVD.

Without the constant profanity it was really good. With the profanity it was just ... blah.

Step Brothers (2008) - So Many Activities! So Many Activities!

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
1 July 2011

Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and director Adam McKay team up once again, after working with each other on Talladegga Nights, for their best comedy yet about the bonding of two 40-year-old step brothers. Basically, this man and woman get married, and they both have 40-year-old sons, with no job, no family, and no life. The whole movie focuses on their relationship, and how they fix a struggling family. Not to be offensive, but "Step Brothers" was more funnier than "Talladegga Nights". Every piece of well-writing that was hilarious and unique all at once, it made me laugh throughout and I never stopped. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly can never stop coming up with something funnier and funnier. The lines are so hilarious you can recite them over and over. Other members of the cast including Adam Scott, Richard Jenkins, and Mary Steenburg was hilariously excellent, as well. The movie has its moments of growing up, being mature, fixing the family, and mostly the bonding of these step brothers. The film takes on challenges with a hilarious cast and well-written ideas, so the film never disappoints at making you laugh, and deserves to be a must see comedy. This is a memorable one-liner comedy, even when the raunchiness goes a little too far. "Step Brothers", in my review, "hilarious in every way, and it never gets old".

These Step Brothers Needed Terry O'Quinn as Their Stepfather

Author: thesar-2 from United States
24 January 2011

Maybe I wanted to like Step Brothers more, or perhaps I need to see it again…but seriously speaking, it was just silly.

Silly as in fun, that is. It's harmless fun, though not for all audiences, and it's just plain ridiculous. It's almost like an excuse for Will Ferrell (as step brother, Brennan) and John C. Reilly (as other step brother, Dale) to get together and horse around (listen to the audio commentary for proof.) That's all good, if you're looking for a leave-your-brain-at-the-door comedy. And I did find it funny, knowing not to expect too much. I laughed about a dozen times, though more "at" its screwball comedy, especially during the interviews, namely with the obligatory Seth Rogen cameo.

One group of adults: Nancy (Steenburgen) and Robert (Jenkins) agree to marry and bring together their 40ish kids who haven't yet flown the coop. Originally, the "boys," and I'm using that loosely, don't get along. After realizing they have some things in common, they bond and manage to screw up interviews the new stepfather, Robert, set up. Okay, okay, they screw up everything, but in the end, naturally, they're gonna learn to grow up and take on responsibility.

Really, there's three minutes of a plot here, and nothing's really new – just the typical grown-men goofing off, à la Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Vince Vaughn, Paul Rudd etc. But, again, if you just sit back and let them do their thing…over and over again…you might have fun. Just don't expect much, or even clever jokes. Just gag, fight, rinse and repeat. If that's your bag, this is the movie for you.

Personally, I probably have to watch it again and perhaps it will become a guilty pleasure as it really couldn't be anything of substance – just mindless entertainment.

One of the best Ferrell has done

Author: h_wilson92 from New Zealand
29 August 2010

I love Will Ferrell and I love all of his movies.This one was soooooo funny! I have seen this movie once on DVD and once on the TV.It never fails to make me laugh.In some scenes I rewind to the most funniest bits to have a really good laugh.I laughed from the beginning to the end.Reilly and Ferrell are 40 year olds that act like 9 year olds and still live with their parents.They are the most childish 40 year olds.I think this is probably the best comedy of 2008 and the funniest movie Will Ferrell has done.Go and watch this movie if you are a Will Ferrell fan and haven't seen this yet.It has great replay value - almost all the movies I have seen don't have that replay value unless they are really good.I am considering buying this movie.It is so good it is rated R because if it was PG13 it wouldn't have been as funny.

10/10 is my rating.

I must be missing something

Author: hung_fao_tweeze from Omaha, Nebraska
27 July 2010

After viewing this I am compelled to immediately post to IMDb. For me, this movie was that bad. It involves two 40-ish men still living at home and their single parent's become romantically involved. Eventually they become a bizarro kind of Brady Bunch. It seems like every time I watch a Will Ferrell movie I am reminded why I don't watch SNL alumni movies anymore. Their characters are good for brief giggle stints (maybe) but rarely full-fledged 90+ outings. Considering that many people actually liked this I feel I must be entirely missing something here. (I didn't get the Hudson Brothers either although their eventual movie was much funnier than this dog.) I didn't come close to even smiling once during the affair - and I really wanted to. This comes across as frequently ad-libbed situations. If so, the biggest problem is that no-one in the cast is a gifted at ad-libbing. In fact, I found the cast to be annoying more than anything else. However, if the brothers had been replaced by actual adolescents (which is about as high as the humor goes here, if even) then the movie might have worked. At least some sense of realism would have provided some grounded in an idiotic script. As it is, there seems to be no reason for these two grown men to be as backward as they are. They simply 'are' and we are forced to accept this despite every fiber of our being wanting to slap someone - especially the creators of this torture.