IMDb > The Pink Panther 2 (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pink Panther 2

The Pink Panther 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Haven't we suffered enough....isn't there enough pain in this world...!

Author: AlphaCritic from United Kingdom
5 August 2009

I didn't get past watching the first 10 minutes of this drivel….!! . 10 minutes that I'll never get back. This film did not even achieve my lowest expectations. I'm reachin' out to Mr Martin here…….PLEASE…PLEASE…PLEASE …PLEASE…..stop makin' these films…..why are you makin' us suffer dude…? I had such respect for your work and then you go and pull a stunt like this. I'm no purist and do not believe that Peter Seller's was the one an only Inspector Closeau….I enjoyed Alan Arkins take on the role very much as well. I do believe Mr Martin could have had some potential in the role………..but my god the scripts for PP and PP2 have been absolutely diabolically lame. The jokes and gags all seem to be forced, childish with a lot of unwarranted toilet humour.

If I could give this film a lower mark than 1 then I would have done so….! Dennis the Pennis was right….Mr Martin….when did you stop being funny ?.

embarrassing

Author: ceej360 from United Kingdom
29 May 2009

This film is an insult to Sellars!! And proof that Steve Martin has finally lost his way completely. From start to end it relies on horrible slapstick and obvious jokes. With forced comedy that at no stage seems that any of the cast even find it funny! Steve Martin tries his hardest to force his acting through, but the whole film i couldn't help but feel he was doing just that 'forcing' it on me. He relies too much on a stupid accent and lacks all the charm and wit Sellars brought to the role. The array of talent on display seems only a lure to get people to watch the film and little more than a paycheck to such comedy legends as John Cleese! Who surely should know better than just to make a small appearance in one of the worst films of the year!! Overall, i would advise avoiding this film if you have any comedy sense at all!!! The very best i could say, is that if you are with young children, they may find a few laughs in the obvious slapstick.

Ambitious, but in the end just not funny

Author: nathan_franklin2006 (nathan_franklin2006@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
13 March 2009

It's disappointing when you excitedly enter the cinema, expecting great things from a sequel to a film you really like. I mean, look at it; the first sequels always tend to be the best films don't they? Spider-Man 2, The Dark Knight, From Russia With Love, The Godfather Part II, The Empire Strikes Back etc, etc. You would think that The Pink Panther 2, the sequel to, funnily enough, The Pink Panther, would be brilliant, right? You would, unfortunately, be wrong.

I don't really have an awful lot of reasons for why this film is rubbish. The only reason I can possibly give is this; it just isn't funny. Clearly, it tries to be - there are many moments in the film where you will feel 'oh yeah, I see how that was supposed to be funny' and you'll subconsciously think to the film 'better luck next time in entertaining me!' But you won't laugh, unless, of course, you possess the sense of humour of a disillusioned monkey. If you ask me, parts like the flashback where Inspector Cluso burns down the restaurant are incredibly exaggerated even for a slapstick comedy such as this and sometimes Steve Martin's accent can become increasingly annoying when you hear him go on for hours.

So, in conclusion, I have one thing to say; 'don't watch this film'. Do you want it in capitals? DON'T WATCH THIS FILM. If you REALLY want a slice of decent Panther action, try watching the Peter Sellers classics or, if you're too 'high-tech' to go for a blast to the past, try watching the original PP remake from a few years back, which is quite decent.

Not a true Pink Panther film, but alright in its own right, I guess.

Author: tml_pohlak_13 from Canada
12 March 2009

NOTE: I do not think this deserves an 8. However, I feel it's underrated on IMDb, so I gave it more stars. My actual rating is 5/10.

After Peter Sellers' tragic death in 1980, the Pink Panther series literally died overnight. The films became cheap rip-offs, capitalising on the success of the previous films. Sellers' widow even (successfully) sued Blake Edwards for tarnishing his memory with the god-awful Trail of the Pink Panther. Two unsuccessful attempts were made in the 80s to revive the series with different characters, followed by another attempt in the 90s. And so, it seemed the Pink Panther movies had come to an end.

Then, in 2006, Steve Martin's remake, The Pink Panther came out. I loved it! It seemed we were entering a new golden age of Pink Panther movies! After watching the trailer for The Pink Panther 2, I was excited and looking forward to seeing it. Well, I saw it on Sunday, and I left the theatre thinking, Well… what was that? I was smiling through the opening credits, being reminded of the original movies. Then, the actual movie began. Don't get me wrong, some of the scenes were hilarious! Problem is, if you've seen the trailer, you've seen a lot of these moments. In between these positively hilarious scenes, The Pink Panther 2 is littered with scenes that assume themselves to be funny, but to be truthful, are not that great at all.

Although I loved Martin's Clouseau in the first movie, something happened all of a sudden here. Clouseau has, overnight, turned into a womanizer and a racist. He keeps getting called into Lily Tomlin's office, where she attempts to instruct him in political correctness. Although a few of these gags are hilarious, most of them left me feeling… indifferent.

Martin assumes himself to be hilarious, but that's not the case in The Pink Panther 2. Just about the entire supporting cast outshines him (although he has his moments, too). John Cleese shines in every scene he's in (note: this doesn't mean every scene he's in is good, he just saves them from being downright disastrous). Jean Reno tries hard and succeeds as Gilbert Ponton. Alfred Molina is a fine actor, but the script doesn't really let him show his talents. And that's the general pattern… The mystery? Well, the movie cheats on its audience, constantly informing and misinforming its audience as to whether they can even solve the mystery, or whether there even is one left to solve. At one point, I decided to give up on that aspect and try enjoying the comedic portion of the film.

One more thing: although hilarious in the first film, the recycled "hamburger" joke became extremely boring in this film.

The film's ending is where it truly shines the most: it's reminiscent of Martin's first Pink Panther film, and genuinely funny all the way.

Simply hilarious!

Author: Diala Ch. from Saudi Arabia
5 March 2009

Steve Martin is extremely funny and can pull off a perfect Frenchy accent. The choice of cast is excellent except for Aishwara Rai. Her acting skills are terrible. She's just a beauty who should appear in ads only. They could have easily gotten a prettier female who can act.

Another downside to the movie is that you get a "hint" to who the real bad guy is from the start making the focus of the movie the way it is discovered. It would have been more interesting to keep the thief of the Pink Panther unknown till the end. Nonetheless, the movie keeps you entertained and laughing all the way.

I would definitely recommend this movie to those who are in for a good laugh.

A Nutshell Review: The Pink Panther 2

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
15 February 2009

I think it's time to shelve comparisons of Peter Sellers iconic take of Inspector Jacques Clouseau with that of Steve Martin's. Take it like a total reboot, not necessarily for the better of course, since the franchise thus far has taken Clouseau into more slapstick, as well as quite surprisingly, turning him into both a sexist and a racist, excuses being he's a total nincompoop.

Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber's story makes no apologies in being offensive and politically incorrect, and taking Jacques Clouseau in the same direction of distaste deliberately, so that some unwitty exchange could take place between Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin, who plays the etiquette officer locking horns with Clouseau to try and rehabilitate his crude mannerisms. Some jokes too get repackaged and recycled in a different form, carrying over one hamburger joke too many left over from the first Martin-Pink Panther movie in 2006.

In fact, not only does that get brought over, but the entire plot involving international heists committed by the mysterious Tornado, unfortunately had a similar Eureka moment to 2006's, proving that lightning does get to strike twice in a plot that feels right at home to a Scooby Doo cartoon. Given renowned and valuable artifacts being stolen from their exhibition home, including The Pink Panther diamond, an international Dream Team of detectives get assembled to solve the crime, headed none other than Clouseau himself, based on his past conquest in retrieving the diamond.

So with that comes an opportunity to put an international ensemble cast together, which actually seemed a good idea, if not for an average story involving love triangles against a backdrop of crime-solving which breezed through quite quickly. Returning are John Cleese (well, since Bond didn't require a quartermaster for fancy gadgets, he's got to look for a job, right?), Jean Reno as Ponton the Watson to Clouseau's Holmes, and Emily Mortimer as Clouseau's secretary Nicole with whom we learn they share plenty of personal romantic time together in a restaurant scene that played on too long.

Joining them are Andy Garcia playing Vicenzo from Italy, who tussles with Clouseau as head of the Team as well as for Nicole's heart (note that Don Corleone reference), Alfred Molina as Pepperidge from England, possessing acute powers of deduction rivaled only by Clouseau, Yuki Matsuzaki as Kenji from Japan, a computer whiz, and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as Sonia, the resident expert for her study on Tornado. And if that's not enough, throw in Jeremy Irons too.

Quite an ensemble you'd notice, to want to come together to make a comedy like this. Thankfully, some of the film's funnier moments weren't revealed in the trailer, which had made some sequence of events less funny that they are in proper context. A largely forgettable film, if not for the memorable opening credits animation with Harry Mancini's Pink Panther theme, which is possible the best sequence throughout the whole movie. A few good laughs, but that's it, and I won't be surprised if this can have the legs to continue for one more film.

Somewhat fun at times but overall disappointing

Author: (da_zeon) from Bulgaria
15 February 2009

Let me start by saying that I really liked the 2006 "Pink Panther" movie. I thought it was not perfect, and it was not as good as Peter Sellers' movies, but it was without doubt very good entertainment. With that said, "The Pink Panther 2" is a disappointment even compared to the 2006 remake.

No, the problem is not in Steve Martin. As always, he gives everything he can from himself, but it is the movie itself that does not allow him to show the best. The idea of an international "Dream Team" is good, but from then on it is as if everything is messed up. Characters in the team are not well-developed, while the filmmakers should have focused exactly on the Inspector's relationship with them to make this installment different from the others. The main problem with the movie, however, is that spaces between the laughs are too big. So do not expect a movie which is so funny that it does not let you go. This one lets you go big time.

One more thing - you will probably enjoy this movie a lot better if you have not seen the trailer. All the laughs are actually in the trailer, which means that if you have seen it, you have seen the whole movie.

The Movie Was............

Author: cartoonbuster from United States
11 May 2009

I loved both movies with Steve Martin, I think he knows what he's doing, and the casting for this film was just great! I liked Kevin Kline in the first, and liked John Cleese as well! When I saw Lily Tomlin and Steve Martin together, it was hilarious (both were equally great), even there film "ALL OF ME". I had no idea that Andy Garcia and Alfred Molina did comedy, I've never seen them in any comedy. I was so happy to hear that Emily Mortimer and Jean Reno would return, they did such a wonderful job with the first. I was kind of upset that Beyonce didn't return, but this movie showed that it didn't need her that much, it was still good.

Critics are horrible, I loved this film, and they hated other great movies such as Nicole Kidman's Australia, Eddie Murphy's Meet Dave, and Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls. So I try NEVER to listen to critics. It doesn't matter what they think, it only matters what you think!!!!!!

Just to have fun

Author: ravipeixoto from Brazil
26 February 2009

I really don't understand why people extremely dislike this movie. I didn't expect much of the movie, but it surprised, because it has lots of funny moments. It's a very funny movie i think.. And the audience that watched with me really enjoyed it. If you watched the first movie and you enjoyed, you will enjoy this too.

It seems that everyone is comparing this movie with the old movies of the pink panther.. i never saw any of them, but it seems that they followed a different type of comedy.. So, to finish my post, i'm sure when i say that if you don't expect much of this movie, except an hour and a half of entertainment you won't be disappointed.

Despite the Lame Title, Martin's Panther is still on the Right Trail

Author: SylvesterFox007 from United States
19 February 2009

"The Pink Panther 2" may lack the intelligence and sophistication of the original Blake Edwards/Peter Sellers comedies, and even the zest and heart of Steve Martin's previous entry in the series. But like the Pink Panther diamond itself, "The Pink Panther 2" is still a gem, in spite of its flaws.

One flaw is the title. I was disappointed when the previous film's working title was shortened from "The Birth of the Pink Panther," and before the curtain went down on that one I had a sneaking suspicion they'd name the sequel "Pink Panther 2." It's okay that they ignore the fact that this is the eleventh movie, not the second, because this is one of those Hollywood "reboots." But it's just lazy, especially when there are plenty of "The BLANK of the Pink Panther" and "The Pink Panther does BLANK" titles left to choose from. That said, the movie is nowhere near as lame as its title.

When the movie opens, Inspector Clouseau has been put on parking ticket duty by his jealous superior Chief Inspector Dreyfus (John Cleese) right after winning the Medal of Honor. Cleese, like Herbert Lom (the original Dreyfus) and unlike Kevin Kline in the previous film, uses his natural British accent rather than attempting a French one. Unfortunately Cleese, unlike Herbert Lom but like Kevin Kline before him, doesn't attempt an eye twitch, either. When priceless artifacts are stolen by a cat burglar known as "The Tornado" (like "The Phantom" in the original movie, but without David Niven's panache), a "dream team" is assembled out of detectives representing the countries in which the crimes took place. And when the Pink Panther diamond (last seen as a rock on Beyonce's finger, now a honking gem on public display in a Paris museum) is stolen, Clouseau joins oily Italian playboy sleuth Andy Garcia (the new Ocean's Eleven trilogy), London master of deduction Alfred Molina (Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2), Japanese computer expert Yuki Matsuzaki, and the author who is writing the book on the Tornado (Aishwarya Rai Bachchan) in interrogating prime suspect Jeremy Irons.

Garcia, Molina, Rai, Matsuzaki and Irons are all magnificent actors, but none of them are comedians per se. Garcia and Molina both get their share of zingers, and Aishwarya Rai looks lovely, but a Pink Panther movie needs actors who can blend into the background, not steal the spotlight from Clouseau. Steve Martin continues to fill the role of Clouseau fantastically. In my opinion, he is the only actor other than Sellers to truly make the character his own. He fares better with a director other than Harold Zwart, though. In this film, he lacks the pathos established in the last film. He's less child-like and more childish.

Also, director Harold Zwart and screenwriters Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber seem to be trying too hard to capture the sharp-edged, adult humor of the old Blake Edwards comedies. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it's at odds with the kid-friendly, broad slapstick also presented. The character of Cato is still missing, but they've found ways to incorporate all of the elements of the character without him. The all-out karate ambush sequence is successfully revived in a surprising way I won't spoil here. And Yuki Matsuzaki's character becomes the butt of Clouseau's old "little yellow friend" line, leading to a scene in which Lilly Tomlin, playing a political correctness instructor, tells Clouseau why he can't get away with saying this. Unfortunately, the political correctness coaching scenes go too far. Yes, it's good to see Martin reunited with his old co-star Lilly Tomlin. Yes, in today's age Clouseau would be considered a racist, sexist, small-minded twit. But how long do we have to dwell on that fact?

But while the jokes all work on different levels, the important thing is that they do work. While I preferred the tone and pace of the previous film, "The Pink Panther 2" does deliver big belly laughs. John Cleese doesn't have the same chemistry with Steve Martin that Kevin Kline did, but he's a much better choice for the role. He does that stiff upper-lipped deadpan British humor thing he's so good at, and it suits the role incredibly well. His few brief moments on screen are some of the movie's most hilarious. Cleese, Martin, Garcia, and Molina all have some razor-sharp one-liners, too, most of which are saved for the incredibly funny climax.

As in all of the Pink Panther films, the opening credit animation is a highlight. It's funny, stylish, and sophisticated: everything you'd expect from a Pink Panther cartoon. For fans, the credits alone will be worth the price of admission. Jean Reno, Emily Mortimer, and Steve Martin continue to have great chemistry together. Phillip Goodwin returns in the almost unnoticeable role of Dreyfus' confidant. In the same way the worst James Bond movies provides more thrills than most other action flicks, a weak Pink Panther movie still provides more belly laughs than most other comedies. And there are plenty of laughs to be had in "The Pink Panther 2."

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]