IMDb > The Pink Panther 2 (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pink Panther 2

The Pink Panther 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Review From an Old School fan.

Author: N D (casperthegoth@gmail.com) from United States
15 February 2009

I know that a lot the Peter Sellers fans will ream me for this, but I really found this movie leaps and bounds above my expectations.

First, my major flaw with this film is the voice Steve Martin has chosen to use for his Clouseau. It is far from the interesting and likable French parody that Sellers employed, in fact it seems quite annoying.

Aside from that, this movie has extended itself to create a number of scenes that could have been found in any of the later Sellers films. We are still not at the artistic and lovely comedy of the first film, Shot In the Dark or The Party (which may as well be a Panther film). This film does explore some of the comedic devices proficiently as found in Return, Strikes Back, and any other later film.

Examples: 1) The karate trophies. Very well done in a very traditional Panther method.

2) The restaurant on fire, both times. Again, very clear that this was influenced by the early-mid seventies branch of the series. The juggling was well done, the costume fits directly in with Seller's Clouseau. The slight egotism in his desire to select a wine. The only thing not Clouseau was Martin's voice. These two scenes play into the Panther cycle perfectly.

3) The scene in which Clouseau snoops around the fence's property also falls in line perfectly with Seller's Clouseau. Also, there is some excellent physical comedy here. Brings to mind the detection scene in Strikes Back at the scientist's residence.

4) I was impressed with the addition of the sensitivity training. Of course this led to a nod to us old fans that we are not forgotten when the Japanese detective is referred to as "My Little Yellow Friend." 5) The tete a tete between Molina and Martin when introduced is quite funny and could have been expounded upon. This reminds me a great deal of the first Pink Panther for a small reason. Each comedic scene in the original film (Sellers) begins with a setup, proceeds through a number of comedic devices and returns, in some fashion to the initial setup. I think of the scene in which Sellers is asked by his wife to retrieve some milk so that she may conduct her affairs. Ultimately champagne surprises Clouseau in bed. Although the setup is not perfect (why would the customs agent accidentally stamp a hand... the shot that was needed was the distracted Clouseau speaking with Ponton, a cut to him attempting to grab his not yet stamped passport as the agent is in the process of stamping), the outcome is great when we have almost forgot about the stamp it returns.

6) Reno is great in these films and should they continue, his role should be elevated. True to Cato he thinks the world of Clouseau and behaves accordingly, even in all the chaos that is created.

Ultimately, I have some grudges against the new series: I still wish Kevin Kline were cast as Clouseau, he would have been a far superior actor for the role. I wish that Clouseau retained his benevolence from the initial series. Sellers' Clouseau seemed almost innocent in his idiocy, this is not the case with this series (little things like, "Although it may lead to injury, will you marry me?").

Aside from these, I feel, only now, that there is still potential to make a good Panther movie out of this reboot. I would plead with Steve Martin to spend a lot of time reviewing the original Sellers, Shot in the Dark and The Party (who know, perhaps an Indian a la The Party would be a god disguise). I hope that a lot of time is invested in a script and approaching an appropriate director.

Another note, this movie has a major plus. It is an excellent family comedy that doesn't deal with fantasy or other "childish" things. There are so few of those available now. Everything is either rooted in a fairy tale (which I love, so don't get me wrong), or it is in the American Pie school. Take your kids to this, maybe they will want to check out some real comedy like Sellers. Then you both will be the better for it.

6/10 - You're getting there! Try a little harder!

Good lord, this is awful!

Author: Zeke Pliskin from United Kingdom
14 February 2009

When reviewing something - anything - I'll usually go into a lengthy dissection of what worked well, which actor stole the show and what could be improved upon. Praise where it is due and criticism where it is needed, to advise a potential viewer what they're getting into should they put money down for some tickets or the DVD/Blu-ray release. I'm fully aware that I'm one amongst hundreds of thousands so my opinion doesn't count for much, but I try and be as even-handed as possible.

In this case though, I really CAN'T be fair to the picture. I can't find much nice to say about it at all, apart from the fact that there are few major technical errors in terms of sets and direction - although neither are much to write home about. It staggers me that mediocre remakes like this are churned out year after year, while struggling, inventive independent directors have trouble bringing their more interesting pictures to a wider audience. No - worse than that - it DISGUSTS me.

This second instalment of the Steve Martin-helmed recreations (or should that read molestations?) of the enjoyable Peter Sellers sleuth romps is worse than the first. I actually wish I could wipe the memory of it from my mind because some of the gags are so hackneyed and unfunny it made me squirm in my seat with embarrassment, watching the formerly likable lead caught up in lame slapstick gags that would make silent film master Chaplin squirm in HIS seat, should he be alive and also unfortunate enough to see this.

There are simply too many flaws to list. The story seems to be missing in action and the acting sits at two extremes - phoned in or hammy to the point of being so bad it's horrible. At points I often mused that not only was this portrayal of Clouseau too dumb to be a detective, he'd actually be too dumb to survive in anything resembling a real world. He would have been struck down by a bus years ago and buried, which I couldn't help but wish had happened to Steve Martin if it weren't for the fact I loved his performance in Planes, Trains and Automobiles so much. The directors might have had better luck making a Who Framed Roger Rabbit style animation/live action mix where Clouseau chases down the cartoon Pink Panther and gets struck about the head with a pan. And when I can dream up better ideas than a team of writers, actors etc then I know it's a bad picture. Epic fail? No doubt about it.

No, it certainly isn't the worst film ever made - I've seen worse that I haven't got around to reviewing because I don't like wasting angry words on things I rate as 1/10 - but I urge ANYONE, regardless of race, gender or age not to add to the box office gross of this film by going to see it. Even if you get free tickets, decline. Stay at home and buy or rent the original couple of Panther pictures with Sellers or watch the sixties cartoon cat in action, because those are leaps and bounds above this sorry excuse for entertainment.

Excuse me while I go and start work on that Steve Martin voodoo doll...

An abomination.

Author: galileo3 from United Kingdom
19 February 2009

The Pink Panther 2 (2009)

I am a fan of Steve Martin, in fact I think he is a very funny man, however his latest film is something of an atrocity. A sequel to the 'loose remake' of the Blake Edwards films with Peter Sellers, the latest instalment in the overextended Pink Panther franchise is flat, with only a one or two funny moments. At least its adequate predecessor managed to be entertaining and times hilarious and sustained the film.

Pink Panther 2 runs dry pretty quickly. As I was watching it, I felt I was watching a school play - the bad sets (I don't care about that), the bad jokes and the lazily made up storyline all amount to a huge disappointment. Of course the film has some funny moments, but we have seen it all before. Most jokes are slight alterations from the first film. Even an all star cast that includes Andy Garcia, John Cleese, Jean Reno and Alfred Molina does not amount to anything. Cleese, a comic mastermind, is used as a prop, playing the lifeless Inspector Charles Dreyfuss.

Garbage

Author: fkkemble from Bowen Island, Canada
19 September 2010

I cannot understand why this movie was made? How can Steve Martin live with himself? He should be buried alive for foisting this abomination on the viewing public. Peter Sellars was a true genius and an unrivalled master as a comic actor in this role. His acting was both intelligent and inspired; Steve Martin on the other hand has simply made himself look utterly stupid. In any event I feel that Kevin Klein would have made a far better job of the Clouseau role if it had to be done at all. A great part of the charm of the Pink Panther movies was derived from the exclusively sixties flavour, the vehicles, the fashion and above all the actors who were extraordinarily well cast. The original Pink Panther movies attracted a varied and selective audience whereas the modern Pink Panther could only attract the accolade of the terminally stupid. Could we perhaps organise a petition to stop Steve Martin from repeating this offensive twaddle or maybe have a whip round and buy him off.

Awful

Author: mlfrdrdg from United States
14 February 2009

Steve Martin is embarrassing. The movie is downright awful. Martin's attempt at a French accent is simply annoying.

There are scenes that are visually entertaining, such as the wine juggle. John Cleese, as usual, is quite funny. Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau was funny in the original movie. However, Martin in the same role is simply foolish. I got up from my seat and left the other four in my party when I just couldn't stand it anymore and went to the plex next door to see part of a lame romantic comedy rather than risk hating myself for wasting my life watching another minute of The Pink Panther 2. I haven't walked out of a movie in probably 40 years! I met up with the group later, the were decidedly disappointed in the film-- and no long fans of Steve Martin.

Silly and awkward, but funny and entertaining.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
10 March 2014

This movie, like its prequel, is a great piece of light-hearted comedy that will give you much-needed entertainment on a slow and depressing day. Though Peter Sellers basically owns the Inspector Jacques Clouseau role, I think Steve Martin did a nice job in providing the Clouseau character his own touch and originality.

Steve Martin, Jean Reno, Alfred Molina, Andy Garcia, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and John Cleese all gave memorable performances in delivering humor, puns and slapstick comedy in a movie that to be taken too seriously, but mixed in with action and adventure that provides a great crime comedy movie. The plot is pretty exciting, with Inspector Clouesau (Martin) this time teaming up with a squad of international detectives known as the Dream Team to stop a globe-trotting thief from taking stealing historical artifacts.

It's a movie full of silly, corny and awkward moments, but the main mission of the detectives (and story) is clear and the acting isn't bad at all. It's still certainly better than some of those comedies with crude humor, nonsensical comic relief and plots riddled with holes.

Grade A

Dull Dull Dull

Author: movie_bloke from Australia
25 May 2009

Acting,script whatever you can think of in a movie, it does not work well in this at all. First of all the humour is very out dated & also Steve Martin was the only thing is this movie which sorta even stood out, he tried his best but there wasn't much that could save this from falling apart. You really need to be in a very positive mood or have your brain switched of to enjoy this. The worst thing in this movie was Aishwarya Rai, this chick can't act one bit, very pathetic & her accent so fake & annoying. OK the positive thing in this was that Steve Martin is a one man show, so if you like him as an actor, you will like a few of the scenes. Overall very weak plot & cheap acting 3 / 10

Why Bother!!!

Author: Gautham Manoharan from India
15 August 2009

I've never written a comment before and this is the first movie I'm writing one. Well, many of you have heard from the critics that the movie was not good, also you might have seen some of the comments or heard it from other persons advising you to ignore the critics and that the movie was good. But the comedy in the movie was so PREDICTABLE and its like Steve Martin is forcing you to laugh!!! Clearly, if you have seen the first movie DON'T BOTHER watching this one as many comic scenes were similar to the prequel. I wasted one and half hour in my life and don't do that mistake again..

But if you have not seen any of the previous Pink Panther's movie then its worth a shot. For starters there were very few moments in the movie which was worth laughing but most of the time its like 'I see what you trying to get' Its such a pity to see Steve Martin acting in the movie which suppressed his individuality. I was hoping much from this film, but was clearly disappointed.

PinkPanther strikes again. Steven Martin is flawless throughout the movie!!

Author: coolstuffmaster from Bangalore, India
22 February 2009

The first thing I or probably anybody could notice about this movie is its immense screenplay that makes us relax and enjoy the movie till the end without even turning your face away from the screen. Steve Martin is absolutely superb in his dialog, body language and gestures which he is naturally gifted with. Let me add some plus points before we get to the weaker aspects of the film.

The film storyline is good but its supplemented by some extremely good screenplay. Steve steals the show in almost all frames he shows up. Ponton (Jean Reno) closeau's assistant, is as decent as in the prior panther series. The detective duo Nicole(Andy Garcia) and pepperidge (Alfred) help the story moving faster in the middle and I should say the funny detective competitions which both along with steve try to do in crime scenes are interestingly hilarious. Their chemistry have worked out well. The sequences like closeau inspecting in avellaneda's villa, the infamous closeau car driving on Paris streets with pontoon, closeau uttering the security password of 'hamburger', closeau mistakenly identified as Pope are some of many in feathers in pink panther's hat. To me Aishwarya Rai is a real surprise package. She looks pretty and justifies the role given with her prefect English diction in dialog delivery and adds up more curiosity in the plot.

Focusing on some weaker aspects; we find ponton-closeau funny encounters very little which were extremely well drafted the first part. I am sure some more scenes of both of their funny training encounters could have been much better. Unlike the first part there are some minor logic failures in this one. Avellaneda (Jeremy) should have got some more serious sequences in the movie. The Japanese hack man added in the detective team is totally unnecessary in this script.

On the whole Harald Zwart - Steve Martin combo clicks and clicks in style. Kudus to Steve especially for continuing his perfect french-English accent. I am really taken aback by some critics who underrate this movie. I guess they should primarily understand Pink Panther series is really a perfect catch when a person enters a theater to laugh for the next 1.5 Hrs. I am sure this one helps a lot to accomplish it and even surpasses the expectation.

If you like some serious comedy along-with for your ticket money, its worth a shot.

9/10 in my opinion for this laugh-therapy.

More Like The Pink Crap-ther

Author: gabbymoron from United States
7 February 2009

I've had poops full of more laughter -- intentional and unintentional -- than "The Pink Panther 2." Where to begin? Well, Steve Martin is no Peter Sellers. Here the silver-haired comic comes off more like a bad Robert Hegyes impersonator with Styrofoam chips in his mouth. He hasn't been this bad since "The Crotch Chronicles," and that is saying something. Where is the man who made us giggle with characters like The Jerk and "Sloppy Ivan" French? The plot, if you want to call it that, has no coherence. Since when was physical violence funny? Or people falling from buildings? Tigers that wipe their own butts? It's all a mishmash of hokum that never lives up to its potential. Why didn't they bring in Bull from "Night Court"? He'd be on target in the hilarity department. In conclusion, I do not recommend "The Pink Panther 2."

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]