IMDb > The Pink Panther 2 (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pink Panther 2

The Pink Panther 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Stupid, predictable...but still funny !

Author: jain-sunny from United States
7 February 2009

Even though I knew the movie had been panned by the critics, I still agreed to go along with my friends to watch it. As the credits rolled in the end, I sat wondering what were the critics expecting from the movie...

Of course the plot is stupid, the end is predictable. But the movie delivers what every comedy intends to deliver...lots of good laughs ! If the reviewers were expecting a thought provoking plot, Oscar winning performances, or a great achievement in "moving image"...perhaps they bought the wrong movie ticket. Also, I have not seen the original Peter Sellers movie. Looks like every Peter Sellers fan hates the new series. But I really don't see why shouldn't I enjoy the jokes in Pink Panther 2 just because Peter Sellers was funnier.

This may not be the funniest movie of the year. But its 1.5 hours well enjoyed ! Don't get swayed by the critics...go and have fun in this movie !

An Honest Attempt

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
21 February 2009

As I said in my review of the first installment of this line: Steve Martin has walked in the Valley of the Kings. He has faced some pretty amazing obstacles, and he has stood in some pretty big shadows. Let's face it. Although his rendition of, "The Out-of-Towners," was amusing, he's no Jack Lemmon. While I LOVE his Sgt. Bilko portrayal, he's not Phil Silvers. Cheaper by the Dozen wasn't horrible, but he's not Clifton Webb, either. He's Steve Martin.

You may not appreciate his style of comedy, but the Peter Sellers-venerated character of Inspector Jacques Clouseau made for the best use of Martin's prolific use of pratfalls, ironic wit, and in your face sarcasm than any other character he has tackled previously.

But the character portrayed by Martin herein has something I never saw in Sellers' portrayal after the second installment...genuine heart. This is sweetly honest in its attempt. I feel that this will actually turn into a legitimate franchise reboot, if the average movie-goer will stop attempting to compare Martin's Clouseau to Sellers' Clouseau. They are two different actors, and Martin has stated to the point of nausea that he is NOT attempting to "do" Sellers' interpretation of the character!

As far as the MOVIE goes, it is sweet, funny, and enduring with a strong story, a stronger relationship element, and a great cast. I did not miss Kevin Kline nearly as much as I supposed I would. John Cleese was a perfect Dreyfus, showing us the beginnings of Herbert Lom's trademark twitch, when dealing with Clouseau. Very nice!

I think, when looking back, Steve Martin's Jacques Clouseau will be remembered fondly by the new generations, just as prior generations stubbornly cling to Sellers' character in spite of Martin's superior portrayal.

All in all? I love it. It is a(n almost) violence-free, blood-free, honest attempt at a family film. This is great! and I cannot wait to get it into my collection.

It rates an 8.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Harmless Fun

Author: canuckteach from Ontario
16 February 2009

I'm not ready to get out the torches and pitchforks and lead a lynch mob after Mr Martin -- not yet anyway! Having read the early reviews here, I went to the cheapo theater with low expectations, and emerged pleasantly surprised. There were some genuine laughs from time-to-time, plus a great cast (shoulda got more out them). My daughter and grandchildren were delighted.

The overall plot is reasonably clever -- so, that leaves the gags. Some work - some don't work that well, as evidenced by the fact that many IMDb'ers want to talk about why some of the gags don't 'feel right', or seem to 'take too long'. (No really successful comedians ever had people talk about how their gags don't seem to be working -- people just talk about how much they laughed. When people start analyzing why your comedy isn't funny, it ain't workin'). But we had a few chuckles in this one, if not a bunch of sustained belly laughs.

Everyone says we should stop comparing Steve Martin to Peter Sellers, but, if you watched the original films, how can you stop comparing? Sellers created this character, just as Atkinson created Mr. Bean and Cleese created Basil Fawlty. And Steve Martin tries to do Sellers anyway (his 'little yellow friend' line?). He can't quite pull it off, and he hasn't really found a shtick that works. For one thing, his eyes are always popping, like he's trying to pass gas. Sellers' eyes were quiet. His Clouseau was genuinely 'clueless'. And, I've mentioned elsewhere at IMDb that Sellers was a major Radio comedy star before doing films - that puts him in a league with Abbott & Costello, Burns & Allen, Bob Hope and Jack Benny. These guys built amazing gags that kept both live and radio audiences in stitches, using well-constructed devices such as bizarre characterizations, rapid exchanges, and nifty voices. Mr. Martin's roots in comedy are from a different - and later - era.

Overall, though, if you need an amusing and harmless diversion, go see this at the reduced-price theater. For $4, I'm in - $20 for a date and me, plus popcorn? where are those torches and pitchforks?

6/10 canuckteach

Better than I've expected to be!

Author: argstyl from Greece
16 February 2009

My opinion is that it was better than the 1st one. It was quick,the plot very interesting,I was easily absorbed(I did not realized how the time passed).As I was watching it in Greece some jokes were not very funny for those who do not understand English(as some quotes were like rhyming).I certainly would watch it again-I like this kind of humor. The actors were like a surprise to me because I did not know about the cast. The only thing that made made make a face was the pronunciation, from the beginning of the film mostly Mrs.Nicole made it too pronounced-of course "they were" french people but it was too much pointed out.The whole film was too good,I laughed with tears,the audience was attentive, everything went well-so good that I was not expected it -I have the opinion that part 2 can not be as good as the 1st one.Regards!

An odd, sexy brother in a dress … The Pink Panther 2

Author: jaredmobarak from buffalo, ny, usa
3 February 2009

Hmmm. Does America really hate itself this much? I guess it does. I'll start off by saying how I'm not much of a fan of Peter Sellers Pink Panther let alone watching Steve Martin laugh himself to the bank with a couple of remakes, (I did not see the first). But alas, I found myself in a theatre full of elderly people laughing and younger people walking out, (it was a free screening, I don't much blame them), and I envied my two friends who both said they fell asleep. I unfortunately kept awake in order to sit through the—Inspector Clouseau had the perfect adjectives—drab and disgusting display on the big screen. It was obvious from the beginning, overlong in the pacing and especially the repetitive beyond belief jokes, and just plain sad for the big name actors involved, many of whom I enjoy and some that I love—I'm talking to you Emily Mortimer. While others laughed, I found myself yawning with a delicate, slow moving pat of the mouth as though I was as stale as the script. Maybe my generation just can't understand this type of film, but if that's so, how could the first have warranted a sequel? We have the originals with a superstar in Sellers and yet we repackage for the youth of today? We need Hollywood to start taking control of the economy because they must be doing something right despite the utter absurdity of their decisions.

It all started okay—short, quick glimpses of priceless artifacts being stolen around the world. Maybe there'd be some seriousness to the comedy. Then came the obligatory look at the cartoon Pink Panther wreaking havoc in the opening credit sequence and the soon fun began. Ends up the stolen items were red herrings, only brought out to hopefully let us understand the importance of the pink panther diamond. You see: if that diamond could be spoken in the same breath as the Shroud of Turin, it must be quite the hot item. And who is sworn to protect it you might ask? Well the imbecilic French of course, (I'm sure France LOVES these films), headed by a Brit, for whatever reason, in John Cleese and the "hero" of the film, Martin's bumbling Clouseau. We've seen this thing a million times—of course the idiot will idiotically stumble into solving the case; it's just a matter of wading through the nonsense runtime padding until that fateful moment graces us with a conclusion. Hell, even the American "The Office" uses this device every week; no wonder it is a water-downed facsimile of the British original.

What does that padding consist of though? Credible guys like Alfred Molina, Jean Reno, and, why oh why did he do it, Jeremy Irons joining the ranks of hammy ex-serious actors like Andy Garcia and Lily Tomlin to make faces and fill the frame with reaction after reaction shot of Martin's shenanigans. If the film is good for anything it is using Aishwarya Rai's sexuality and introducing me to Yuki Matsuzaki who entertains for the most part. Otherwise it is all excruciatingly painful to watch, mostly for the fact that you realize how little you make a year and how much they all made for doing practically no work on a film that will be thrown away after opening weekend and probably given a third installment.

I really feel bad having very little in the way of backhanded praise for this film. I realize the amount of time and work put in, yet can't help but think of how many other more important things that time could have been spent on. When you have to sit through a ten minute exchange between Martin and Tomlin of him checking out an attractive girl in the hall, her calling him out, him denying it, her not believing, and then him looking again—repeat … three more times, you know that hell has arrived on earth. On top of that come lines like "But I can't fly!!" and an impromptu sing-along manifested from a shampoo name, JoJoBa pronounced HoHoBa; you can imagine the worried looks to watches wondering how much longer it could go on. Yet there was laughter! I can't fathom it either. People ate some of this stuff up like it was the most hilarious thing they've seen since The Pink Panther 1. I guess I'm just out of touch, or else just way too cynical and jaded. Either way, if you are like me, stay far, far away at all costs.

Not as bad as I thought it would be.......

Author: milescorn from Baker City
10 February 2009

But then again, Steve Martin is no Peter Sellers. I know that a lot of people are comparing this film to the original Blake Edwards/Peter Sellers films of the 60's and 70's, but I have to say that in all fairness, these people that are making the new films must not have paid much attention to the older ones. Yes some things are there, Peter Sellers used to call Cato his "Little Yellow friend" that line is heard here, but in a different context. The surprise attacks by Cato are used here, but only by children. What is missing? "Yes I knew that" "What was that you said?" The way Dreyfus hates Inspector Clouseau, Herbert Lom was just so great in that part, nothing aganst the former Monty Python alumnist, he was even better that Keven Kline, but something was missing three. Just to name a few things. Now for moment lets look at this film. Did I laugh? Yes, with some parts of the film it was hard not to laugh. Were some things over the top? Yes, the part with the Pope was a little over done. The Pink Panther seemed to a bit bigger than in the first movie and looks more like the one from the original films, bigger.

Funny and entertaining follow-up with the clumsy Inspector Clouseau-Steve Martin

Author: ma-cortes
19 July 2010

Again the Pink Panther with Steve Martin as the inept , botcher inspector . Three important burglaries shock Governments of Britain, Italy and Japan where are robbed the Japanese Imperial sword, the Great Bill , and Shroud of Turin prompting governments to set up a detective 'dream team' to resolve these crimes supposedly committed by a criminal named 'Tornado'. France there are a great mayhem for the robbery of his ¨Pink Panther¨ an enormously expensive diamond and assigns bumbling Inspector Jacques Clouseau, his assistant Gilbert Ponton (Jean Reno), and Secretary, Nicole (Emily Mortimer), to this issue . Although Chief Inspector Dreyfus (John Cleese replacing Kevin Kline)from the Surete would much prefer seeing Clouseau issuing traffic tickets. The team, consisting of detectives from Britain (Alfred Molina), Japan (Matsuzaki), and Italy (Andy Garcia), and Sonia Solandres (Aishwarya Ray) who attempts to woo Clouseau with shady aims . They travel to Italy where 'Tornado' reportedly inhabits , being the main suspect an aristocrat (Jeremy Irons). This is where they will face their worst mission . Bungling Inspector Clouseau hasn't clues but it doesn't mind . He along with his helper Gilbert Ponton are going into disgraces, mishap , botches and wreak havoc from Paris to Rome. Then the international dream team is humiliated and newspapers publicize: ¨ Bungler Clouseau a disgrace, entire nation loses panache, French detective idiot ¨ .

The film gets entertaining and fun with hilarious moments here and there and never slowdown although contains others ridiculous and disappointing . The picture takes parts from previous entries Sellers' movies (Pink Panther, Shot in dark,The return,revenge,Panther strikes again). As Steve Martin struggles with two kids imitating Sellers and his Kung Fu fighting with Cato -Burt Kwouk- . Steve Martin combines splendidly his comic talent at his peak doing a witty spoof of the absurdities of Peter Sellers character. Evolves famous costars as Alfred Molina, Andy Garcia , John Cleese , a gorgeous Idian star as Rai and many others ; furthermore a magnificent opening cartoon titles. As always lively and jolly music ( arranged by Christophe Beck ) by the great Henry Mancini. Several chuckles and gags ,the result of which is a funny film . Film gets memorable occasion for amusing and entertainment. This sequel is better than Steve Martin's former entry .

French, Fun

Author: turk_rooster
28 February 2009

True to the first installment, The Pink Panther 2 begins with much promise by way of Inspector Clouseau's own brand of semi slapstick humor, loses its way somewhere around the middle, and then finds it again to round off a fairly watchable movie. As far as humor is concerned, one gets the feeling that there is an overlap of far too many elements – the stereotypes, the action sequences, the warped logic, the karate kid family create sequences that are delightful but in certain instances a trifle too much. Good to see Aishwariya in a substantial role, not the least towards the end. The ending is definitely not guessable, though I am not sure whether it is entirely logical. Well, all is fair in Clouseau's end-justifies-the-means-and-hilarity world

Awesome celebration of Peter Sellers the King!

Author: Charbax from Copenhagen, Denmark
19 February 2009

I am the most gigantic fan of everything Peter Sellers ever did on camera, and I have seen the original Pink Panther films dozens of times over and over. And I think Steve Martin's modern takes on this concept are fantastic, awesome and very welcomed.

I would only wish Steve Martin to announce that he is going to produce and make more Pink Panther films. Thanks to Steve Martin's efforts, the spirit of Peter Sellers work can live on through modernized takes on the energy and ingeniousness that this state of mind represents.

I certainly think Steve Martin's Pink Panther 2 is better than his first attempt. It seems he has somewhat won a greater artistic freedom in creating this second movie, as it seems the movie now has less "Hollywood-moments" in it and is more about being a constant pure fun experience which is what Pink Panther movies should be about. Sure this is a commercial success, especially in Europe and developing countries like India. Well I think that this is only a really great thing cause it should make it a natural thing for Steve Martin to then hopefully agree to make a few more Pink Panther movies and see if he can be even more crazy, cool and funny in the next ones.'

I was at the Danish premiere yesterday, the cinema was far from being full, as I think today's youth prefer Hollywood mega productions than witty humor. But I did notice that the people present in the cinema were laughing a lot more than people usually laugh in comedies. The laughing was sometimes really extreme with some certain people in the cinema, me inclusive, sometimes even laughing continuously for a minute. This is what The Pink Panther should be all about.

Please Steve Martin, if you read this, please consider making another Pink Panther movie rather than to release another Banjo CED or whatever you were planning to do. And when you do, please make sure that you and other creative people are in control of the show, rather than the people that only think about continuity and Hollywood ethics and who sometimes end up slowing the rhythm down to make it less weird. Make it weirder, crazier and put in even more energy for the next one.

Dream Team Fails to Acquit Pink Panther 2, But Entertaining Enough to See

Author: Kakueke
10 February 2009

"Pink Panther 2" is not a great movie, but it is not as bad as some say. A new villain, The Tornado, snatches away the Pink Panther diamond. But The Tornado has also swiped other big-name treasures: The Magna Carta, The Shroud of Turin, and the Emperor's Sword. It is an international "Dream Team" of detectives, not just Inspector Jacques Clouseau, who investigate. Joining Steve Martin (Clouseau) are some accomplished actors: Andy Garcia plays (very well) Italian businessman Vicenzo, Alfred Molina is British inspector Pepperidge, and Yuki Matsuzaki is Japanese electronics expert Kenji. The odd lady out, and a very key person, is the exotic and very pretty Sonia (Aishwarya Rai). She is an expert on criminology and, specifically, The Tornado.

***The following may contain spoilers***

Martin is no Peter Sellers. The Englishman ever had poise and charm as Clouseau: Something about him fit so well into a French policeman's uniform or a trench coat. Sellers carried himself well when not tripping over something, and when he did, he seemed oblivious. His manner of speaking was deliberate yet natural: sophisticated, arrogant, comedic aplomb, if you will, and one reason he was funny was that he was almost always serious. Martin's Clouseau is also egotistical and certainly has presence, but not the same poise. He is too goofy. He is taller and gawkier, older, and more nervous. He also gets depressed when he screws up. Martin is fairly funny when he engages in French-to-English mispronunciation dialogue, but I take Sellers' smooth manner over Martin's verbose. In fairness, part of the problem is the script. Attempting to make the movie funny, the screenwriters concocted a substantial amount of cheap lines, especially politically incorrect dialogue and behavior, for Martin, having him contradict his political correctness mentor Mrs. Berenger (Lily Tomlin) by ogling women and making a bad joke about his "yellow" friend Kenji and sushi. He embarrasses a comrade in front of others by saying "I'm sorry you cannot satisfy your wife," and of his secretary, he says to a group of detectives: "Nicole is here to service your needs...use her in any way you wish." The low sexual humor, of which there is plenty, is not always terrible; but if you go there, limit it and assign it to characters other than Clouseau. Blake Edwards' Clouseau had wit, not cheap humor, including in romantic situations.

As for the slapstick and other humor, it is often predictable and silly. In a less-than-stellar scene at the film's beginning, Clouseau bumbles a parking ticket issuance in a hint of more forced humor to come. Still, there is enough here for viewers to laugh at and enjoy, exerting the right to relax. The same restaurant is accidentally burned down twice by guess who [?], and Clouseau has a meeting with the Pope that ends up with Clouseau encountering some fearsome heights. There is a lot of crashing, bashing, and banging; at some point, this is overdone. Vicenzo and Chief Inspector Dreyfus (John Cleese) have a few good moments of humor. An encounter between The Dream Team and a falsely accused Tornado (played by Jeremy Irons) is fairly funny. This is one of a few moderately good twists concerning The Tornado and those in the villain's orbit.

My favorite aspect of the movie is the romantic tension between Clouseau and his sweetheart of a secretary, Nicole (Emily Mortimer). She is the most compelling person of the film. Finding it difficult to express their love for each other, Clouseau and Nicole still feel it, and this makes for a good climax (seriously, no pun intended). Nicole is very beautiful and so is Sonia, who has a sexier look and, for a while, eyes for Clouseau.

But the reality is that the overall script does not match the four great "Pink Panther" works. In the original series of movies, things started going downhill in "Revenge of the Pink Panther" (and continued much further in the follow-ups without Sellers). Sellers could not salvage "Revenge," in which there was too much klutzy humor including overuse of Cato. But Cato fighting is better than fighting with a colleague's young karate kids, as Martin does here. Overall, the silly overrides the witty or sophisticated in "Pink Panther 2."

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]