IMDb > Sex and Breakfast (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sex and Breakfast More at IMDbPro »

Means to an end

Author: gradyharp from United States
25 January 2008

Though many will avoid this little film because the title and DVD cover suggest a mindless mélange of sexual encounters, those who can get past these flaws will find a well written (Miles Brandman) examination of young people's concepts of relationships and how to keep them. Brandman also directs this stylish charmer and has at his disposal actors not usually associated with a more serious type of story.

James (Macaulay Culkin) and Heather (Alexis Dziena) are young, attractive and in love, though Heather is finally able to confide in James that she is unable to achieve orgasm in their otherwise satisfactory sex life. Ellis (Kuno Becker) and Renee (Eliza Dushku) are another couple whose intimate life has lost its sparkle. Each of the couples (who have never met) hears about sex therapist Dr. Wellbridge (Joanna Miles) who supports the concept of group sex as a means to strengthen relationships grown stale. Each couple meets with the doctor, reveals their insecurities and fears and Dr. Wellbridge arranges a 'session' for the two couples to share an evening of intimate interaction. How this 'change' alters each couple's relationship is the message of the film: some surprises are in store that are unsuspected.

Yes, there is comedy here and yes, there is thoughtful dialog, but the pleasure of the film lies in discovering the expanded acting abilities demonstrated by these four young attractive actors. The film may not be deep, but it does entertain and it most certainly has some useful information about love and relationships we all need to know. Grady Harp

Shock and awe don't make up for a poor film.

Author: cadoras99
8 January 2008

I didn't have any expectations for this movie, but 52 people have it a 7.9, it was free, so I figured I'd give it a go. Blah. The good news is Eliza Dushku has nice legs, and now I want a Denver omelet. An hour and 20 minutes of poor acting, weak lines, and a forced pill of controversy don't do much for me. Macaulay's mannerisms seem terribly forced, but at least it seemed like he tried. He failed, but he tried. The rest of the cast was forgettable, there are several pointless scenes and what's more, the film tries to focus on sex. The awkwardness was decently conveyed, but without spoiling a movie short on content, the ending really just treats it as a red herring. Sex and relationships, at least make up your mind what your movie is about before you shoot it, because whoever wrote this obviously wasn't talented enough to include both. Eh, at least there was some Sea Wolf in there.

in you want this as comedy you be disappointed, its a drama

Author: siiixbox from United States
12 January 2008

unlike the other 3 guys who did not like the movie, i did, many will make the mistake and expect a normal comedy where this is most definitely a drama, as its not the jokes or story what makes the movie interesting but how personalities of characters are react and develop to the story given challenge. in this case 3 in general monogamous and 1 poly capable person decide the 1st time experience group sex, the expectations they have and the mistakes they do. i have a unique perspective as i do live for a long time sexually open/poly, so for me its very interesting to see how others see this issue, the acting is brilliant and the reactions of the characters reminds me on people i known in the past who got in to similar situations, its rare to find a movie on this subject. the only reason i cant give this movie a 10 is because the story-line is pulled out to thin, sometimes it becomes boring because absolutely nothing happening for minutes, they filled those long minutes with "everyday" conversations that do not build on the story-line nor are in any way interesting nor funny

Worth watching and talking about

Author: dlpetey from United States
12 February 2008

Reading through the posts I found it interesting that, like me at first, most posters were interested in if we got to see some T&A. I'll admit that is the reason I watched the movie but after finishing the film I felt compelled to write a review. I'm not much of a writer so bare with me.

The basic premise of the film is two couples decide to explore their relationships though group sex counseling. We get to watch as the relationships change for the better or worse as the time to act grows closer and then the aftermath.

The movie starts off with an interesting mix of awkwardness that turned me off a little at first but I grew to enjoy. The banter between Dushku and Kuno was lighthearted yet deep, giving a feeling of intimacy to the relationship. Contrasted by the dynamic between Culkin and Dziena, showing the need to please of Culkin's character and the oblivious nature of being self absorbed in Dziena's character. Throughout the entire file I felt like a fly on the wall, seeing into the lives of the characters and getting a real sense for their feelings.

As one in an amazing committed relationship with my wife of seven years, although I can't relate to "opening up the relationship", I connected with the struggle to keep the relationship alive. As with anything, love needs attention and work. At the end of the film the two couples got what they were deep down looking for, a deepening of love and a reason to stay together or the final wake up call and a reason to leave.

I liked to film and how it dealt with a sensitive subject. I don't think sleeping with other couples is a good way to force communicating, but possibly watching a film about it will spark talk and lead to a better relationship.

A New And Effective Approach on Sex

Author: StevenC428
13 March 2008

I don't know who labelled this movie as 'selling sex' or 'unrealistic', because let me reassure you that this move is neither.

First off, if you're expecting some type of nudity or comedy, this movie will offer neither. It has a very minimum amount of nudity and the jokes just fall short.

With that, this movie is just not about sex. It brings us to a very realistic world where couples do struggle to keep their relationship alive. Culkin and Dziena star as a couple, though very much in love, have trouble keeping up with a satisfying sex life. Dziena's failure to have a orgasm with Culkin is their main issue. Dushku and Becker is yet another couple who want to try new things in order to keep a spark in their sex life. Both couples turn to group sex counseling as a possible solution to their issues.

I've heard of group sex counseling before and it is a very real thing. The movie broadens on the issue and shows the advantages and disadvantages of it. This movie is not 'unrealistic' and many people turn to group sex counseling as a possible solution. And this movie is not about 'selling sex' because there are barely any sex scenes in the film. I've seen horror films with more sex than this film...maybe you should turn to those films.

The movie is awkward and the dialogue is a bit brim. The acting from the cast is a bit overrated and over-dramatic. Usually, Dushku performs well in her films but she fell flat with this one.

Well Let's get clear-this is a good movie

Author: vilislav from Bulgaria
8 February 2008

It's just far more complicated than it appears. It tells a story about two couples , who due to longterm relationships decide to try something new.They go to this therapy, where couples change their partners- polygamia or something.In the first couple the women is sorry for the term but whore in my words. she just wanted wild sex, but her boyfriend was conservative but they love each other and everything seems to be fine. The second couple presents a woman , who wants to try out with other women and pure alpha man. These two couples change the partners. Fot the man in the second couple and the woman in the first it means nothing, cuz they were closer like characters. But this was very bad for the other two. They felt unsatisfied not sexually but mentally. They were not ready for such thing. The first couple breaks off after and second one seems to remain together but he film is with open final. I 'm hoping as an expert in the field to be in your help.

The most unerotic film about sex that I've ever seen

Author: scinatfilm from United States
31 August 2008

While it's not an awful film, one would expect that the filmmakers (and I'm using the term loosely to include the cast and writer as well) would be able to explore some of the more complex emotions associated with sex. And no, I'm not complaining about the complete lack of nudity either (well, maybe I am a little).

But some of the MOST erotic scenes in film history have had no nudity (think "Streetcar Named Desire") so it's hard for me to give a pass to the filmmakers here, because they really had no excuse for making these characters completely unsexy (and to do that to Eliza Dushku is a crime, BTW)

Some films you want more because they "tasted so good." This one I wanted more because there was no substance (and not much style either)

Check out "Lie With Me" or "Flannel Pajamas" if you're looking for a self-involved indie that deals frankly with sex.

Uninspired.

Author: Panterken from Belgium
16 January 2008

There aren't many reviews here so there's actually a a decent chance people are actually going to read my comment for a change.

Sex And Breakfast deals with relationship problems through the story of two couples, who face different problems. Heater&James have to deal with impotency, while Renee&Ellis feel their relationship lacks excitement. Simultaneously they visit a rather obscure relationship counselor, who suggests group sex as a therapy. One partner is obviously more reluctant than the other , and it soon becomes clear that while the therapy is a desperate last attempt to mend the relationship, it could very well be the thing that will destroy it.

This is the rather thin premise, a characteristic not uncommon for these kinds of movies. The acting is decent throughout, Kuno Becker clearly stood out from the rest of the cast. Macaulay Culkin was mediocre at best, in some scenes he's painfully bad even.

My enjoyment of the movies wasn't helped by the very shaky script, clearly written (with the intertwining scenes) to look clever, but not succeeding in doing so. The whole movie felt a bit uninspired and pointless. There are some small moral messages that can be taken away from the movie, but most mediocre dramas have.

Nothing earth-shattering here...it felt like a lot of other indie movies and left me indifferent.

5 sounds about right...

Macaulay Good - Premise Good - Execution Flawed

Author: Carma Chan from Northern California
20 December 2010

It was nice to see Macaulay in a grown-up role and he did great. I don't know what changed between his first reading of the script and the final cut, but this movie is totally flawed and extremely disappointing. The title and premise are promising, the acting is good, but the overall story is just nuts and unbelievable and the ending is non-existent. They simply stopped telling a story that was out of focus and implausible. It's irritating that money gets spent to make a movie based on such a flawed story, when there are so many great stories out there written by new screenwriters who study and work hard to learn their craft.

Don't waste your money or time

Author: kevin-1796 from United States
25 January 2008

This film failed on all counts. While I accept that couples of any age can experience the problems that these couples are dealing with, but throughout the film it seems that their real problem is that they are bored.

The ending was the only part of the movie that I thought made any sense, and then only just.

My wife and I almost never agree 100% on movies, our tastes are completely different. We both 100% detested this film.

So, to summarize: * No Plot * Bad Writing * Actors who seem disinterested in the material, or they were poorly directed * Zero nudity

There are much better movies that cover similar territory, find one.