IMDb > Spider-Man 3 (2007) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Go back to what works!!

Author: alanrayford from Detroit, Michigan
17 July 2008

What the hell is wrong with Activision? They started off so well with the Spider-Man franchise back in 2000, on the original Playstation. Now they're shoveling tripe, pure unadulterated tripe on us--the hardworking consumer.

I brought the PS2 version of this game and sold it back the next day, it was so unbelievably bad. The graphics made me want to vomit. The PS2 is hardly a graphics powerhouse system but this was unforgivably ugly. As for the game-play, it didn't make me sick. No, it made me want to kill someone. Seriously, if a felon was arrested for committing a string of horrific crimes and offered playing this game as a defense at his trial, the judge would have to let him off--the game-play is just that bad.

Case in point, the mega-brawls. Every now and then, you have a major fight, with over eight enemies on screen at once. When this occurs, the game slows to a crawl and Spidey sinks into whatever surface he's standing on. It's like he's fighting on water, which just happens to look like concrete or grass. This same choppiness also prevents Spider-Man from using his incredibly limited repertoire of attacks effectively, since any attack activates about 2-3 seconds after the corresponding button has been pressed. Ugh, it stinks! However, what truly makes it horrible is comparing it to the highlight of this now failing franchise, Spider-Man 2.

In Spider-Man 2, also for the PS2, the game-play was so good. Yeah, the story kind of blew, but the control was so unbelievably immersive. You could climb walls, run along walls, wall slide, and perform 360 degree swings with the greatest of ease. You could smack someone into the air, juggle their butt, then, just for kicks, hang them from a lamppost, and so much more. Unfortunately, in this game, you can't pull off a fraction of the aforementioned moves.

In this game, if you want to climb a wall faster--too damn bad. You want better control over your swinging--not going to find that here. You want to unleash rapid fire combos on the bad guys--you'll wish you could. I can't begin to count the ways that this game whomps, in comparison to a title which predates it by three years.

Activision needs to shape the hell up!! They should stop trying to reinvent the wheel and go back to what they know worked. Ultimate Spider-Man was somewhat of a step backwards in terms of game-play, from SM2. Spider-Man 3, on the other hand, is like a quadruple back-flip from a skyscraper from SM2. I don't know what they did to hack Activision off, but before Web of Shadows gets anywhere near alpha, Activision needs to get the two lead programmers from SM2 back. Those dudes seemed to have a pretty damn good idea about how to effectively portray this character in a game. If Activison doesn't, I'm pretty sure that Web of Shadows will end up being another black hole of suck which they see fit to present us with. No, I didn't like this game.

Not the game I was hoping for.......

Author: TJThayer34 from New Bern, N.C.
2 September 2007

Being a huge Spider-Man fan (well, Marvel & DC fan overall) I have to say this was not MARVEL'S & Activision's best effort. The graphics weren't what I expect from MARVEL and the voice-overs were not as energetic as I was used to from the gaming. Compared to Ultimate Spider-Man, this was lackluster & somewhat basic. The controls were easy to learn and well-done, which was pleasing, but the animation/action were lacking in fluidity, detailing, and realism. The detailing in Spidey's costume was okay, but could've been better. The gaming storyline and progress DID keep me amused and entertained, so it was easier to stay glued to.

Although not MARVEL'S best effort, it is still enjoyable.

Awesome game!!!

Author: landryt from United States
9 May 2007

Just got the game a few hours ago, and holy crap, once you get past the training level, you just don't wanna stop playing the game, its so fun, swinging around new york as spider-man and now BLACK spider-man!, and this time, New york is MUCH larger than in Spider-man 2. You can do so much, and on the Ps3 version, there's 10 Story lines, one of those being the movie storyline of course, this is a massive game, the voice acting is surprisingly great as well. The Swinging and getting up buildings quickly will be hard to grasp at first, but after an hour or two, you won't wanna turn off your ps3.

9 out of 10

A major letdown.

Author: Zach Kucala (zach@kucalafamily.net) from Georgia
18 May 2007

The first two Spider-Man games based off the films were flat out awesome! I'm big on voice talents, graphics, and gameplay. Those things matter to me most of all. Spider-Man 3, great graphics, the gameplay for PC is a little shaky. Tobey, like always, blows me away as Spider-Man and Peter. He's hysterical in-game! Bruce Campbell is a real treasure as the tour guide. The game is good. Kirsten didn't come back to do the voice for MJ in the third game. What really shocks me is that Bryce Dallas Howard, who played Gwen Stacy in the film, didn't provide the voice for her character. I mean, Gwen isn't even in the game! What are you guy's thinking?!!! AaaaarrrrrgggghhH! For those who loved the film, for those who love the soundtrack, for those who love the book based off of the film, I recommend that you skip this game entirely. Toby is the only real highlight of the game. Unlike the second game, where the pedestrians talk with Spidey and comment him while you're swinging around the city, the third game is completely dead in this area. And also, you could hear the wind blow past you as you swing faster in the second game. There's no wind here. He swings in the same way every time for this game too. It get's boring quickly, unlike the first and second games. I loved the film, but, this is the first game in the Spidey franchise that has left me disappointed! I LOVE Spider-Man 2 for Gamecube and the first Spider-Man Movie game!! But, Spidey 3, yuck! Good graphics, but the rest is just plain bad. And, it got too hard WAY TO FAST! The difficulty didn't gradually progress as you went along!!

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]